SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

HurricaneHugo Feb 19, 2009 11:23 AM

Yes we do.

dl3000 Feb 21, 2009 12:41 AM

They made silly assumptions and decided to put an east-west runway across the top of north island so that takeoff would aim right at the most expensive land on point loma and landing goes right over northern coronado so planes touch down right where the aircraft carriers are parked. needless to say they didn't research enough. haha.

dl3000 Feb 21, 2009 12:48 AM

They made silly assumptions and decided to put an east-west runway across the top of north island so that takeoff would aim right at the most expensive land on point loma and landing goes right over northern coronado so planes touch down right where the aircraft carriers are parked. needless to say they didn't research enough. haha.

bmfarley Feb 21, 2009 1:56 AM

CCDC approved design review of a new downtown 19-floor tower; Ariel Suites in Little Italy. The site is located on the southwest corner of Kettner & Beech. It will be right in front of the whales mural on the side of a bank. Here's a screen capture.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...ielSuites1.jpg

HurricaneHugo Feb 22, 2009 1:33 AM

nice, but ill be sad to not be able to see the whales, oh well

bushman61988 Feb 22, 2009 2:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4100849)
CCDC approved design review of a new downtown 19-floor tower; Ariel Suites in Little Italy. The site is located on the southwest corner of Kettner & Beech. It will be right in front of the whales mural on the side of a bank. Here's a screen capture.

Really blocky and ugly...I can't believe that the developers even have money in a time like this. I really hope this doesn't pass and something taller, sleeker, and nicer gets built.

mongoXZ Feb 22, 2009 2:50 AM

i like it :)

Derek Feb 22, 2009 7:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 4102328)

I do, too! I just wish the mural was a little more visible.

SDCAL Feb 22, 2009 9:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 4102328)

I also like it!!

At least the whale mural is still somewhat/partially visible, better than if it was to go away

when is this supposed to go up??

bmfarley Feb 22, 2009 6:52 PM

I do not know any details concerning timing; CCDC only approved the design review. I too would wonder about financing... what financing?

I find the design interesting in the following manner.... the back of the building seems to face the bay (and possibly the whale mural too) with balconies facing Beech and more windows alloted to Kettner.

It appears an additional vacant lot is between this proposal and the Trolley/RR tracks.... so, something else could go up and block views of the bay from this building.

Kettner also appears to be getting some corridor height... like Market.

sandiego_urban Feb 24, 2009 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4100849)

Looks like a recycled Bosa tower. It almost looks dated before it's even built, but it could just be the rendering.

IconRPCV Feb 24, 2009 4:31 AM

There is an interesting thread over in the city discussions forum about the New GaWC Inventory of World cities 2008. San Diego is a Gamma- city down from Gamma status in 2004 and 2000. Check it out it is interesting.

mongoXZ Feb 24, 2009 5:51 AM

That's a crap list that some snooty Englishmen put out every few years and classifies a city by its integration through some made-up international network. Whatever that means.

So SD is up there with the likes of Columbo, Sri Lanka and San Salvador, El Salvador.

kpexpress Feb 26, 2009 9:07 AM

I have noticed that Union and State streets have been closed between Broadway and F street and it appears that there is some work going on at the site just North of the Federal Prison tower. Anyone know what this activity is? What are they building?

Derek Feb 26, 2009 8:04 PM

Is that the courthouse site?

mongoXZ Feb 26, 2009 9:59 PM

Yes it is the courthouse site. That place has been boarded up for about 3 yrs now.

Anyone heard about this?

http://www.10news.com/news/18787657/detail.html#-

Quote:

Chargers, Padres To Be Downtown Neighbors?
SAN DIEGO -- The idea of having two stadiums in one area has been done before in places like Pittsburgh and Baltimore.
Now, it could possibly happen in San Diego.
Plans are being discussed for a football stadium between Petco Park and 16th Street in San Diego's East Village, 10News reported.
Although the San Diego Chargers are interested in building a stadium in the area, there are no immediate plans.
However, the mere idea is more enticing than ever before.
The Chargers are still looking for a new stadium to call home, and the East Village has drawn the team's attention.
"There is a lot more talk about it around town than before, probably because land values have gone down," said Chargers' Special Counsel Mark Fabiani.
The team would also piggyback off the infrastructure already in place for Petco Park.
"You wouldn't have to build any roads, freeways, trolley stops, parking; it's all there," said Fabiani.
Fabiani told 10News the location and amenities could cut construction costs by roughly $300 million, but the team would still need to find 30 acres in this crowded area.
"It's going to be hard to find 30 acres that you can afford and that you can acquire without displacing people," said Fabiani.
Some nearby building are already empty, like an old Wonder Bread building built in 1884. But it could be the next Western Metal Supply building, only this time for a football stadium.
"We hear talk about it. People have given us ideas about it. We've looked at them. But at this time I think it's premature to say that's a realistic option," said Fabiani.
Seven years is a long time when you look at any project.
Fabiani told a group of developers and business people in La Jolla Tuesday that the Chargers are still focused on two sites in Chula Vista, including the bayfront power plant.
But Fabiani did admit the East Village was interesting.
"It's certainly something we have on our radar, no doubt about it," said Fabiani.
A lot of empty lots in that area. Many proposed East Village condo projects scrapped. The infrastructure that already supports Petco Park is there. Nimbys don't have much to bitch about except for displacing some people and businesses. A possibility?

IconRPCV Feb 26, 2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 4111829)
Is that the courthouse site?

It looks like the federal courthouse is finally a go. I found this browsing the web.

"Sometime over the weekend, though, things changed. The final stimulus package includes money for GSA construction projects, but two-thirds of the cash has been allocated to the construction of a new headquarters for the Department of Homeland Security.

That means federal courthouses in Los Angeles, San Diego and New York City will get what they need to complete construction, but Nashville and other cities on the list have to wait...again."

Well I am sorry for Nashville, but happy for us. I think the design is very good and it will add alot to the area, what with the large public plaza and all.

bmfarley Feb 26, 2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 4112014)
Yes it is the courthouse site. That place has been boarded up for about 3 yrs now.

Anyone heard about this?

http://www.10news.com/news/18787657/detail.html#-

A lot of empty lots in that area. Many proposed East Village condo projects scrapped. The infrastructure that already supports Petco Park is there. Nimbys don't have much to bitch about except for displacing some people and businesses. A possibility?

I like the idea; however, I think someone is under-estimating transportation costs. They are assuming the transit element is already there; in fact, they are correct more so than they realize.... it's ontop of the very land they are vetting. In other words, the transit infrastructure would need to be relocated at substantial cost. That includes the transit yard on the mega block and the Trolley line up 12th. In fact, the Trolley line might need to be put under ground.

Crackertastik Feb 27, 2009 12:48 AM

i dont necessarily think so...it could go on the 2 super blocks bound by K and commercial, 16th and park. that avoids having to submersing the yards unless they want to...there isnt much there either. 6 or 7 buildings, mostly empty, and parking lots.

this is a great idea.

Derek Feb 27, 2009 1:15 AM

I'd rather see the stadium in Chula Vista. A bayfront stadium would be awesome. However, I would fully support a stadium downtown. Anything to keep the Chargers in the county.

I still wish they could just build where Qualcomm already is. It's such a good location. :(

Hooray for the courthouse!