SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   SAN ANTONIO │ Frost Bank Headquarters │ 386 FEET | 23 FLOORS │ Complete (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211992)

sirkingwilliam Jun 26, 2014 8:59 PM

SAN ANTONIO │ Frost Bank Headquarters │ 386 FEET | 23 FLOORS │ Complete

Graham Weston and his Weston Urban real estate group have proposed to build a new downtown mixed-use skyscraper that will house Frost Bank's new headquarters, as well as 300 residential units.

Construction cam link:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/kdc/frostbank

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montirob (Post 8189743)
(long time lurker, first time poster)

The HDRC application for final approval (March 2017) had an elevation drawing showing the top of the crown at 385'-9"... basically 386'. The roof of the office portion of the tower is listed at 346'-9" with some machine rooms/ elevator penthouses above it (obscured by the crown).

21bl0wed Jun 26, 2014 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 6633445)
Graham Weston and his Weston Urban real estate group have proposed to build Frost Bank a new headquarter tower in the downtown area.

Where are you getting 50 stories? All I've seen is "in the 40 story range" and in sa that's a lot more likely to mean 30-35 stories. I desperately want to be proven wrong but just basing it off the city's history. Link to said 50 stories quote thanks!

sirkingwilliam Jun 26, 2014 9:37 PM

Quote:

The City of San Antonio has received an unsolicited proposal from Frost Bank and Graham Weston's real estate firm Weston Urban LLC that, if approved, would dramatically alter the downtown landscape.

Under the proposal, Weston Urban will develop a new headquarters office tower and hundreds of new residential units in San Antonio’s center city.

Weston and Frost are asking the city to convey to them five downtown properties, including the Municipal Plaza building, the Continental Hotel building, San Fernando Gym and two parcels of real estate.

In exchange for those buildings, Frost would convey to the city its existing office tower at 11 W. Houston Street and an attached parking garage.

As part of the deal, Weston Urban would agree to build Frost a new headquarters building at the northwest corner of Flores and Houston streets.

jaga185 Jun 26, 2014 9:39 PM

Holy goodness. Finally! Can this be expedited, please?

21bl0wed Jun 26, 2014 10:05 PM

WOAI news cast just reported it's stats as:

400k sq foot office space
300 residential units
700 parking spaces.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. According to the news repoet the public will have a large say in how the development works out, so that makes me uneasy.

sirkingwilliam Jun 26, 2014 11:07 PM

I created these gifs to show what type of impact on the skyline this building will make.

sirkingwilliam Jun 26, 2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21bl0wed (Post 6633535)

300 residential units
700 parking spaces.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. According to the news repoet the public will have a large say in how the development works out, so that makes me uneasy.

The public input wouldn't be for the design, it would be for the P-3 review of the partnership between Frost and Weston and whether or not it's a good deal for the city.

sirkingwilliam Jun 26, 2014 11:48 PM

Quote:

If the city ultimately decides to move forward with the pair, the downtown landscape could move forward relatively quickly. According to a preliminary project schedule, tower design could start by 2015 and construction could begin by mid-2016 with estimated completion and move-in by 2018.

JoninATX Jun 27, 2014 12:01 AM

It about time. Come on and build this San Antonio.

Fireoutofclay Jun 27, 2014 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21bl0wed (Post 6633535)

300 residential units
700 parking spaces.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. According to the news report the public will have a large say in how the development works out, so that makes me uneasy.

Holy crap! That will be some tower! 300 residential units could bump up the square footage by about 200,000 to 300,000. So possibly 6 or 700,000sq building, easily the city's tallest. Or maybe two separate buildings, one office - one residential. That would be great too (I guess:(). And I think the public will be just fine with the exchange, except maybe the San Fernando Gym(maybe some grumblings there). Graham Weston is a cool guy, he's not gonna knock those buildings down or build anything ugly.

21bl0wed Jun 27, 2014 4:31 AM

I love the spot. Going to have this on one end tower on the other. Works out well for the typical signature skyline style pics of cities

miaht82 Jun 27, 2014 4:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay (Post 6633690)
Holy crap! That will be some tower! 300 residential units could bump up the square footage by about 200,000 to 300,000. So possibly 6 or 700,000sq building, easily the city's tallest. Or maybe two separate buildings, one office - one residential. That would be great too (I guess:(). And I think the public will be just fine with the exchange, except maybe the San Fernando Gym(maybe some grumblings there). Graham Weston is a cool guy, he's not gonna knock those buildings down or build anything ugly.

I may be the only one reading it this way, but I think that the office development and residential units are not one in the same. With that being said, Bank of America Plaza (28 floors) is 530k sq. ft. and has 870 parking spaces. It is possible, but I think that Weston's contribution to residential will be mostly in conversion of old office into residential (as was previously thrown around at the Metro Health bldg) and possibly new construction on those skinny lots between Main and Soledad.

One thing that I will say about this, seeing as that Frost will lease the space and not own the building, is that I hope that there is retail space on the ground floor. That is one sure way to get more feet on the street.

Either way, a most welcome addition.

JACKinBeantown Jun 27, 2014 11:54 AM

This is great! Where does the 40-50 floors figure come from?

21bl0wed Jun 27, 2014 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 6634095)
This is great! Where does the 40-50 floors figure come from?

Who knows. Everything from news releases says "in the 40 story range" 50 is hyper optimistic IMO

The Model Jun 27, 2014 6:44 PM

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/66466994.jpg

The location of the new tower!

JACKinBeantown Jun 27, 2014 8:01 PM

It's one of the most tree-lined blocks in downtown SA. Maybe they'll find a way to build a great building while keeping the trees. My hopes are high considering the Frost Tower in Austin.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=san+a...gl=us&t=k&z=18

sirkingwilliam Jun 28, 2014 12:07 PM

Another gif I created.

wrendog Jun 28, 2014 4:48 PM

Excellent! I've only been here for a week or so, but I'm really enjoying the city. Downtown is really nice and has lot's of potential. This new tower will be a great addition.

adtobias Jun 28, 2014 6:06 PM

Isn't frost building a large corporate office in the westover hills area?

Onward Jun 29, 2014 2:52 AM

Great news indeed. Hopefully this actually goes through. I really like planned location, That side of downtown could use some love. That being said and seeing how this is SA, I wont get my hopes up for this project.