SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Car versus Other (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144775)

JayM Jan 26, 2008 2:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILYR (Post 3307263)
More to the point I know that passes and books of tickets can be used as tax deductions. I'm trying to find out what the deal is with transfers. Just imaging being asked for your transit reciepts, so you send them a box of crumpled up transfers, some from different cities.

when they introduced the line to claim transit passes, i was allover that, but when i first left Manitoba to Saskatchewan it sucked because you cant claim rent. lol

vid Jan 26, 2008 6:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILYR (Post 3307263)
More to the point I know that passes and books of tickets can be used as tax deductions. I'm trying to find out what the deal is with transfers. Just imaging being asked for your transit reciepts, so you send them a box of crumpled up transfers, some from different cities.

Only monthly passes can be used. The punch passes (at least ours) aren't eligible, neither are tickets, transfers, or day passes. I don't know the status of U-Passes, as they're still new.

SPLENDALOVER Jan 17, 2010 6:36 PM

Train (mostly).

And I prefer to take the scenic walk to the train station.

bomberguy Jan 18, 2010 12:43 AM

2009/2010 - car 100%
2008 - bus/walk 100%

1ajs Jan 18, 2010 1:18 AM

walk bike and carpool and bus thats my modes of transportation

Bdog Jan 18, 2010 4:24 AM

walk 90%, Public Transit 10%...(in fall, it was more like 80% bike, 10% walk, 10% public transit)... I'm in TO right now though

Pootkao Jan 19, 2010 7:49 AM

I do not, nor shall not, own a car.

Walk. Bike. Bus.

Anything less would be... ... uncivilized.
:tup:

bryanscott Jan 19, 2010 4:52 PM

I take my car around 90% of the time, so none of those answers are appropriate for me.

Winnipegger Jan 19, 2010 5:12 PM

Well it's kind of inefficient because I take the bus to University every day because it's cheaper than a parking pass, but other than that I use my car to go everywheres else in the city even though my bus pass is unlimited. I know, pretty terrible, but I just find the car more convenient. Plus, I have to travel an hour to go home every weekend, so just having a bus pass would not do me any good, and if I am paying for my car, I might as well use it.

So, 85% car, 15% bus.

drew Jan 19, 2010 5:19 PM

I walk or or get dropped off at work about 95% of the time.

After hours, unless it's food, booze or something I can get locally in Wolseley, we drive everywhere.

DowntownWpg Jan 19, 2010 11:39 PM

Usually take the bus to work, in the spring and summer... but not during cold and flu season.

Being on public transit is perhaps one of the worst places a person should be if they are wanting to avoid getting sick - particularly so if there is a pandemic or severe flu going around. Getting the shots isn't 100%, so one must take other reasonable precautions as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hypochondriac... but, rather, just a keen observer of people. On the buses - with no windows open during the cold months, of course - you will see all sorts of people gladly hacking out a lung into the air for all to breath in. Too many make zero effort to cover their cough. In fact, such people are no better than the sick swine who started this filthy flu... I'd even say that I have more respect for the pigs, as they are expected to act like animals. :hell:

Only The Lonely.. Jan 20, 2010 1:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. (Post 3305400)
I voted for the 75% option, but truthfully I probably drive 95% of the time. I only take the bus if i'm going to the U of W or somewhere else downtown.

What I find is that increasingly my travels are taking me between suburbs such as North Kildonan to Fort Garry. More importantly, these are often trips where it would be impractical to take Transit. For example, I can drive between NK and Fort Garry in 30 mins or I can spend an hour plus on the bus.

The choice is pretty easy to make when i'm getting up in the morning.

I'd say my auto useage in the last year has gone up considerably to about 90% - 95%.

Taking the bus to that pedestrian paradise known as the corner of Waverley and McGillivray is pretty much a non-starter for me.

Even walking across the street to get lunch in that part of town feels "weird."

1ajs Jan 20, 2010 4:48 AM

start biking in the warm months then!! i have biked out there on one of my random adventures to nowhere

art deco Jan 21, 2010 10:47 PM

no category for between use betw 75 and 100?