SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Chicago is the capital of the US.... (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239943)

the urban politician Aug 8, 2019 4:03 PM

Chicago is the capital of the US....

...when it comes to rats:

https://www.renthop.com/studies/nati...fested#chicago

Boisebro Aug 8, 2019 4:06 PM

from the subject line, I thought this was going to be a thread about pizza.

imagine my disappointment.

:(

dubu Aug 8, 2019 4:07 PM

the pizza probably has something to do with it.

the urban politician Aug 8, 2019 4:08 PM

Rats love good pizza. That's why there are more rats in Chicago than in NY

Steely Dan Aug 8, 2019 4:13 PM

i see an occasional rat in our alley.

they're certainly around, but not typically at nuisance levels, at least not around us. though they do freak the fuck outta my wife.

last fall a sick and dying rat got trapped in the exterior basement stairwell of our building. i scooped him up with a snow shovel and hurled him up onto the el tracks that run down the middle of our alley. i figured why not let the brown line finish him off, LOL!

Handro Aug 8, 2019 4:22 PM

rat complaints*

Maldive Aug 8, 2019 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8652885)
rat complaints*

Steely being investigated by Chicago Transit and various pro-rat organizations for his blatent, disrespectful rat "removal".

Hero rats sniff (and snuff) out landmines and TB. ... It is on track to clear Mozambique of landmines by the year's end. Mine detection rats take nine months to a year to train. The rats are socialized when they are four-weeks-old so that they are comfortable working with humans.

plutonicpanda Aug 8, 2019 6:21 PM

Sure it isn't LA and 1.5 percent of all rats having the plague?

Steely Dan Aug 8, 2019 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maldive (Post 8652919)
Steely being investigated by Chicago Transit and various pro-rat organizations for his blatent, disrespectful rat "removal".

:haha: :haha: :haha:

such as?

Boisebro Aug 8, 2019 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plutonicpanda (Post 8653056)

I think it's 1.5 rats have the plague.

and if you're looking for .5 of a rat, check Steely's backyard.

Steely Dan Aug 8, 2019 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boisebro (Post 8653089)

Not In My Back Yard.

i hurled that shit up on to the el tracks.

that half-rat is now the CTA's problem, not mine. :D

plutonicpanda Aug 8, 2019 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boisebro (Post 8653089)
I think it's 1.5 rats have the plague.

Take this article for what its worth. I don't know the facts behind this: https://www.foxnews.com/transcript/l...bubonic-plague

LA21st Aug 8, 2019 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plutonicpanda (Post 8653056)

I've never seen a rat here in 6 years...

Do you live in Skid Row or something? And spare me the BS of "rats are everywhere you go" nonsense.

Chisouthside Aug 8, 2019 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA21st (Post 8653143)

Do you live in Skid Row or something? And spare me the BS of "rats are everywhere you go" nonsense.

are you afraid someone talking about rats in LA online is going to bring down your property values?

LA21st Aug 8, 2019 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisouthside (Post 8653155)
are you afraid someone talking about rats in LA online is going to bring down your property values?

Never said there weren't rats. I've never seen one. But I get annoyed by people who see a fact, and just ignore it because it doesn't go with their own weird belief.
Chicagoans get annoyed when outsiders think the most of the city is violent cause of a few areas. I know, because I lived there and heard those comments. It happens on this forum too.

NYC has always been known to have a massive rat problem, much more than LA or most cities. This isn't new. I wasn't really aware of Chicago or Baltimore though.

edale Aug 8, 2019 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA21st (Post 8653143)

You've never seen a rat in LA? I see them quite often. I often see them near or in the Vermont/Sunset Red Line station. Haven't seen many downtown, but have seen a few. Definitely less of a problem here than in NY, Chicago, or DC. Actually, when I lived in DC, I saw rats allllll the time. I'm surprised it didn't make the top of the list.

jtown,man Aug 8, 2019 8:36 PM

Extremely weird perspective, and maybe it's more theoretical than how I actually feel(don't know if I used that word right lol), but I don't mind rats running around a city. I loved seeing rats in NYC and London. I would NEVER want to see one in my house, ever. But it's like pigeons, it means you're in a city...or something.

JManc Aug 8, 2019 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 8653201)
You've never seen a rat in LA? I see them quite often. I often see them near or in the Vermont/Sunset Red Line station. Haven't seen many downtown, but have seen a few. Definitely less of a problem here than in NY, Chicago, or DC. Actually, when I lived in DC, I saw rats allllll the time. I'm surprised it didn't make the top of the list.

LA has a lot more predators roaming around to keep the rats in check probably. I've seen coyotes wandering around there several times. Bob cats, mountain lions and all kinds of scary shit that live in the wild...

edale Aug 8, 2019 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8653258)
LA has a lot more predators roaming around to keep the rats in check probably. I've seen coyotes wandering around there several times. Bob cats, mountain lions and all kinds of scary shit that live in the wild...

Yep, I routinely see coyotes wondering my neighborhood in the evening. Granted, I do live at the foot of Griffith Park, but not in the hills. When I lived in South LA by USC, there were a number of feral cats that lived in the neighborhood, and I'm pretty sure they are the reason I saw few rats around there.

OhioGuy Aug 8, 2019 9:16 PM

When I lived in DC I saw rats frequently (no I'm not talking about the Republican politicians) while here in Chicago I have only occasionally seen them... certainly not to the extent I saw them in DC.