SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cancelled Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=654)
-   -   ATLANTA | Trump Towers (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112663)

phillyskyline Dec 23, 2006 9:27 PM

Thats the best looking Trump Tower I have ever seen!

Buck Dec 26, 2006 9:49 PM

Did I read somewhere that the start date has been pushed back a little from early 2007 to spring 2007? Or is that another project...? There are a few in Atlanta who's startdates are being shifted a bit.

Terminus Jan 1, 2007 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobMidtowner (Post 2524513)
But the site plan on the last page says Tower 2 is only 38 stories.

DRI plans are subject to change. I would trust what was said at MNA, as that occurs after DRI submittal.

JoLeMaMa Feb 4, 2007 3:03 AM

I prefer 2 medium height buildings rather 1 really tall tower. I believe 2 medium ones would fill in more holes in the skyline, opposed to just one really tall one. Either way, it's awesome!

Dream'n Feb 4, 2007 7:13 PM

These kind of remind me of the 2 new towers more recently proposed for Reno. Very similar in style.

ATLmangum Feb 15, 2007 9:37 PM

Trump has updated its website. It looks better but still nothing worth while...yet.

http://www.trumptowersatlanta.com/

SteveD Feb 15, 2007 10:01 PM

:previous: I thought you were talking about the buildings, but it's the website itself :haha:

Ktulured55 Feb 15, 2007 10:26 PM

So, what is the starting time for these?

tdawg Feb 15, 2007 11:36 PM

I think i read online the other day of a May 2007 start for tower 1.

gttx Feb 16, 2007 2:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ktulured55 (Post 2634670)

The start of these towers is also dependent on when GDOT finishes (well, they haven't even started it yet) the 15th St. extension between West Peachtree and Spring. They were planning to start after that occured, as GDOT's design for the road will affect entrances/exits of the development.

danmaza Mar 6, 2007 1:23 PM

Trump Towers Atlanta

Trump Towers Atlanta is starting to take reservations now click this link for more info. Trump Towers Atlanta

Model A1 - 1 Bedroom - 1,008 Sq Ft - $363,600 - $553,600 - North Exposure

Model A2 - 1 Bedroom - 1,076 Sq Ft - $394,200 - $584,200 - North Exposure

Model A3 - 1 Bedroom - 1,244 Sq Ft - $577,000 - $752,000 - South Exposure

Model B2 - 2 Bedrooms - 1,532 Sq Ft - $760,600 - $1,032,600 - Northeast Exposure

Model B3 - 2 Bedrooms - 1,536 Sq Ft - $802,700 - $1,083,200 - South Exposure

Model B4 - 2 Bedrooms - 1,656 Sq Ft - $833,300 - $1,080,800 - North Exposure

Model B5 - 2 Bedrooms - 2,037 Sq Ft - $1,088,000 - $1,350,000 - South Exposure

Model B6 - 2 Bedrooms - 2,027 Sq Ft - $1,067,000 - $1,315,000 - South Exposure

Model B9 - 2 Bedrooms - 3,113 Sq Ft - Pricing to be announced

Expansive Penthouse Residences Available Upon Request

Trump Towers Atlanta

gttx Mar 6, 2007 4:13 PM

This will be one quality development!

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...326y/trump.jpg

SteveD Mar 6, 2007 4:25 PM

:previous: Wow. This sure ain't the same Atlanta my family relocated to in 1974!

SteveD Mar 6, 2007 4:37 PM

Hmmmm.

My sister, who lives in Seminole near St. Pete in Florida, just forwarded the following link to me about Trump's Tampa tower...

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/03/06/Bu...yers_sue.shtml

tdawg Mar 6, 2007 4:45 PM

That's too bad about those Tampa buyers. I can't see that happening with Wood Partners in Atlanta, though.

smArTaLlone Mar 6, 2007 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 2669019)
My sister, who lives in Seminole near St. Pete in Florida, just forwarded the following link to me about Trump's Tampa tower...

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/03/06/Bu...yers_sue.shtml

I recently read that there was a possibility that Related Group would take over the Tampa Trump project.

Also Wood Partners is considering doing future Trump projects in LA and Seattle.

atl2phx Mar 6, 2007 6:16 PM

Hands down one of the better Trump projects out side of Chicago! I for one love the sculptural waterfall at the base.....it serves midtown well and along with the building itself will be come a local icon - it "says" Trump!

smArTaLlone Mar 6, 2007 6:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ktulured55 (Post 2634670)

June 1st according to the Business Chronicle

smArTaLlone Mar 8, 2007 4:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gttx (Post 2636066)
The start of these towers is also dependent on when GDOT finishes (well, they haven't even started it yet) the 15th St. extension between West Peachtree and Spring. They were planning to start after that occured, as GDOT's design for the road will affect entrances/exits of the development.

I was just reading the ARC review which says that the 15th street extension will be built as a part of this development.

gttx Mar 8, 2007 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smArTaLlone (Post 2674269)
I was just reading the ARC review which says that the 15th street extension will be built as a part of this development.

Yeah....the curb cuts for Trump were dependent on the design for 15th street; I was a little misleading with my post - they needed the design, not necessarily the actual construction, finished.

By the way, where did you find the review? How was 15th street layed out?

EDIT: I found the review....one interesting thing I noticed was that it proposes two 47-story towers, to be built in one phase. On the site plan, however, it shows one 38-story tower and one 47-story tower. Which is it?

shanthemanatl Mar 8, 2007 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gttx (Post 2674352)
Yeah....the curb cuts for Trump were dependent on the design for 15th street; I was a little misleading with my post - they needed the design, not necessarily the actual construction, finished.

By the way, where did you find the review? How was 15th street layed out?

EDIT: I found the review....one interesting thing I noticed was that it proposes two 47-story towers, to be built in one phase. On the site plan, however, it shows one 38-story tower and one 47-story tower. Which is it?

Several people have mentioned that the latest rendering shows two buildings that appear to be of equal height---hope it's true!

RobMidtowner Mar 8, 2007 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanthemanatl (Post 2674481)
Several people have mentioned that the latest rendering shows two buildings that appear to be of equal height---hope it's true!

Why not just build one 94-story mammoth...that seems more Trump-like to me. :cool:

SteveD Mar 8, 2007 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobMidtowner (Post 2674610)
Why not just build one 94-story mammoth...that seems more Trump-like to me. :cool:

yep...when news of Trump first leaked out I thought we had a good shot at a new "tallest". He's well over 1,000 ft in Chicago with a new single tower...still, I'm extremely excited about this double 40-ish tower configuration, which will add lots of exciting new density to the Midtown skyline.

ATLmangum Mar 8, 2007 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 2674660)
yep...when news of Trump first leaked out I thought we had a good shot at a new "tallest". He's well over 1,000 ft in Chicago with a new single tower...still, I'm extremely excited about this double 40-ish tower configuration, which will add lots of exciting new density to the Midtown skyline.

:previous: As am I, plus I'm really diggin the base, which would be hard to pull off in 1 tower. I'd take 2 600 ft. towers over one 1,200 ft. tower anyday.

On a side note, I really hope that the BOA building gets a couple of 600 ft. friends in the next 10 years.

john3eblover Mar 8, 2007 8:07 PM

isn't building one 1000 foot tower a lot more expensive than 2 500 foot towers?

SteveD Mar 8, 2007 8:15 PM

:previous: John...no, not appreciably so. Of course there are hundreds of variables on any given project, but the basic building systems are the same, and unit rates don't go up for taller projects, in fact many of them come down. It wouldn't surprise me terribly to find two 40-story towers to be as expensive or even more expensive, than a single tower twice as tall, especially if the larger footprint of the double tower configuration required significantly more land acquisition.

Behind_Phips Mar 8, 2007 9:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 2674770)
:previous: John...no, not appreciably so. Of course there are hundreds of variables on any given project, but the basic building systems are the same, and unit rates don't go up for taller projects, in fact many of them come down. It wouldn't surprise me terribly to find two 40-story towers to be as expensive or even more expensive, than a single tower twice as tall, especially if the larger footprint of the double tower configuration required significantly more land acquisition.

Steve,

I am not sure that is the case. I am not an architect, but I believe I read that as height increases, regulations change. Therefore, materials used and foundation, etc. change and dramatically increase cost as height increases. I think that is why in Atlanta we see more 2 tower developments. Also, our land prices are cheaper than say New York.

gttx Mar 8, 2007 9:55 PM

While the price to actually construct them might not be too different, you have to remember that 2 40-story towers will give you a lot more sellable space than 1 80-story tower. When you start getting higher you need more area devoted towards elevator shafts, thus decreasing total floor space that can be sold as condos or whatever.

john3eblover Mar 8, 2007 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gttx (Post 2674976)
While the price to actually construct them might not be too different, you have to remember that 2 40-story towers will give you a lot more sellable space than 1 80-story tower. When you start getting higher you need more area devoted towards elevator shafts, thus decreasing total floor space that can be sold as condos or whatever.

that's basically what i was referring to.

Steely Dan Mar 8, 2007 11:17 PM

as for construction costs of 50 story buidligns vs. 100 story building, i attended a lecture a couple years ago by adrian smith of SOM, the architect of trump tower in chicago, the burj dubai, the jin mao, and many other noteworthy skyscrapers, and he mentioned that constructing a 100 story building was more expensive than building two 50 story buildings of equal square footage by a rough factor of two. this means that you could build 4 50 story buildings for the price of a single 100 story building. so it doesn indeed cost a great deal of money to go supertall (which he defined as buildings in the 100 story range). he said this is why supertalls are relatively rare and are only found in the most expensive real estate markets in america. he said that the added cost comes from the increasing complexity of the building systems as you continue to stack floor upon floor and from the much greater wind loads that the structural system must account for when you get into the 100 story range.

i have no idea if all this true, but he is the architect of some of the tallest buildings in the world, so i'm willing to take his word for it.

SteveD Mar 9, 2007 12:18 AM

Good additional input from all, above. As I said, there's hundreds of variables involved. When you go very tall, some unit construction costs rise, and just as many unit construction costs drop. The basic floor by floor structural components don't change. As others correctly noted, very tall equates to additional elevator banks, which reduces leasable or sellable per floor SF, stouter structural members with greater cross-sectional area, which also reduces leasable or sellable per floor SF, costlier admixtures for increased strength, etc. However, the complexity level of building a 40-story building is not appreciably different from that of an 80-story building. Same HVAC systems, electrical, plumbing, life safety and fire suppression, etc. For example, the construction cost of the HVAC equipment (heating and cooling) for two 40-story buildings might be greater than the cost of the HVAC equipment needed for one 80-story building. If Trump went 1,000 ft in Atlanta vs. the two 500+ proposed, I might expect the construction costs for the 1,000 footer to be marginally more expensive, but in no way would they approach twice the cost. Whether that would economic sense to do here in Atlanta, that's another issue, but that's not was I referring to in my earlier post. I'm a P.E., Civil, and my job involves (in part) assessing construction costs at commercial facilities nationwide.

Atlriser Mar 10, 2007 10:28 PM

I disagree and side with Steely Dan and Adrian Smith's assessment of cost vs height. An 80 story building will cost considerably more than 2 40 story towers. Yes systems are similar and so forth, but as you add height you have lots and lots of additional variables and costs increase greatly.

If that wasn't the case why do you see so many 20 story towers in suburban office markets when technically developers could build 1 40 story tower and still have a lot left for later use. Furthermore, why are supertalls limited to cities with the costliest real estate on average. Because supertall construction is much more expensive is the answer.

SteveD Mar 11, 2007 9:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlriser (Post 2679569)
I disagree and side with Steely Dan and Adrian Smith's assessment of cost vs height. An 80 story building will cost considerably more than 2 40 story towers. Yes systems are similar and so forth, but as you add height you have lots and lots of additional variables and costs increase greatly.

If that wasn't the case why do you see so many 20 story towers in suburban office markets when technically developers could build 1 40 story tower and still have a lot left for later use. Furthermore, why are supertalls limited to cities with the costliest real estate on average. Because supertall construction is much more expensive is the answer.

Of course you are welcome to disagree and thanks for offering your opinion. This isn't a matter of "taking sides". "lots and lots of additional variables"...such as? No. I'll just say one more time....UNIT construction costs do not go up wildly...some go up, some go down. The reason you don't see 40 story towers in the suburbs vs multiple 20 stories is NOT because it costs much more to build, it's because of other factors such as zoning and aesthetics and nimbyism. The original question referred to construction costs and my responses have been directed at construction costs.

smArTaLlone Mar 14, 2007 5:47 PM

There's a large rendering on this pdf of apparently some German investors for this project.

Also some pics of the site and a lobby rendering on pages 12-14.

Global State

Steely Dan Mar 14, 2007 6:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 2675341)
Good additional input from all, above. As I said, there's hundreds of variables involved. When you go very tall, some unit construction costs rise, and just as many unit construction costs drop. The basic floor by floor structural components don't change. As others correctly noted, very tall equates to additional elevator banks, which reduces leasable or sellable per floor SF, stouter structural members with greater cross-sectional area, which also reduces leasable or sellable per floor SF, costlier admixtures for increased strength, etc. However, the complexity level of building a 40-story building is not appreciably different from that of an 80-story building. Same HVAC systems, electrical, plumbing, life safety and fire suppression, etc. For example, the construction cost of the HVAC equipment (heating and cooling) for two 40-story buildings might be greater than the cost of the HVAC equipment needed for one 80-story building. If Trump went 1,000 ft in Atlanta vs. the two 500+ proposed, I might expect the construction costs for the 1,000 footer to be marginally more expensive, but in no way would they approach twice the cost. Whether that would economic sense to do here in Atlanta, that's another issue, but that's not was I referring to in my earlier post. I'm a P.E., Civil, and my job involves (in part) assessing construction costs at commercial facilities nationwide.

well, adrian smith would disagree with you. i remember him specifically mentioning how costs for things like plumbing and mechanical systems begin to skyrocket once you get into the 100 story range. he said the costs of these systems in the supertall building increased exponentially, they were not linear. like i said, this was just the lecture of a guy who has actually designed some of the tallest buildings in the world, so i tend to believe him.

and for what's it's worth, adrian was not talking about total project cost such as land aquisition, legal crap, marketing, etc. he was talking solely about the construction costs of building a 100 story office building vs. 2 50 story office buildings of the same total square footage. of course there are always variables that can change the quation, butaccording to adrian smith, the construction costs of the 100 story version of the above scenario are much higher, generally speaking.

ThrashATL Mar 14, 2007 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smArTaLlone (Post 2688431)
There's a large rendering on this pdf of apparently some German investors for this project.

Also some pics of the site and a lobby rendering on pages 12-14.

Global State

Check out the rendering of Trump on the skyline for 2010, someone basically cut and pasted it over a pic of midtown. It looks 100 feet taller than OAC. The monster large rendering is ultra cool though.

Atlriser Mar 14, 2007 7:25 PM

LOL, I noticed that 2010 shot. I wish it'd be that height when finished it'd make the Trump statement for sure then but alas it's just overblown in the rendering but still looks really good.

Best renderings and pics I've seen yet!

Behind_Phips Mar 14, 2007 7:39 PM

How great would it have been if this was on the corner of 14th and Spring St.? I don't know, those condos by Trump Tower just scream old and tired. Not what you expect when paying the kind of $$$ they are asking. Still I really like the look and the base of this building will set the new standard! Just my opinion.

Atlriser Mar 14, 2007 7:58 PM

Well I know it's been a while and no new renderings from Novare about the 14th street site but I really think this sleek glass curve here will complement the tiered veritical smooth surface Novare was planning and is really going to blend with 1180 and make the area around 14th beautiful when all completed and contrasted against the iconic former IBM tower and the late 80's highrises from 12th to 14th.

This area is going to be Dynamite in styles and mixes in 5 years minus the condos beside Trump's site as you mentioned.

tdawg Mar 14, 2007 9:01 PM

that's Dutch, actually, but the renderings are very good in that PDF.

RobMidtowner Mar 14, 2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrashATL (Post 2688561)
Check out the rendering of Trump on the skyline for 2010, someone basically cut and pasted it over a pic of midtown. It looks 100 feet taller than OAC. The monster large rendering is ultra cool though.

It's also facing the wrong direction, how silly! :haha:

kardon Mar 14, 2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Behind_Phips (Post 2688689)
How great would it have been if this was on the corner of 14th and Spring St.? I don't know, those condos by Trump Tower just scream old and tired. Not what you expect when paying the kind of $$$ they are asking. Still I really like the look and the base of this building will set the new standard! Just my opinion.

The building isn't even up yet...and you have this strong opinion???

kardon Mar 14, 2007 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Behind_Phips (Post 2688689)

The building doesn't exist yet...and you have this strong opinion???

Behind_Phips Mar 15, 2007 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kardon (Post 2689210)
The building doesn't exist yet...and you have this strong opinion???

I think you did not understand what I was saying. Look at page 14 of the pdf. The buildings on the lot next to Trump Towers look tired and old, not TT.

ATLskyline Mar 15, 2007 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobMidtowner (Post 2689104)
It's also facing the wrong direction, how silly! :haha:

Yeah i was under the impression that the towers would be facing the new 15th street, not spring st.

smArTaLlone Mar 15, 2007 1:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdawg (Post 2688868)
that's Dutch, actually, but the renderings are very good in that PDF.

:doh: My German friends would be so dissapointed.

foxmccleod Mar 29, 2007 6:45 PM

I received this email today. Someone should go in and see if they can get the new rendering.

The time has arrived!

We have had such overwhelming response to our website registration program, we just couldn’t wait. Since you have been so patient, we have decided it is time to give you a sneak preview of Trump Towers Atlanta.

The telephone lines are now open and we invite you to call our Preview Center to make an exclusive appointment to experience what is destined to become Midtown Atlanta’s iconic residential tower. You will understand our unparalleled location, view our newest and best renderings and get a glimpse of our beautiful design of Trump Towers Atlanta inside and out.

We have 1 and 2 bedroom residences available and priced from $400,000 to over $1,000,000. At your appointment, you will have the first opportunity to reserve your residence and secure our preview pricing. We look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Trump Towers Atlanta
Preview Center
404-351-5665
Monday through Friday 10am to 6pm
Saturday 10am to 5pm
Sunday 12 noon to 5pm

Thank you,

Trump Towers Atlanta

Stratosphere 2020 Apr 12, 2007 1:33 AM

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...6/Trump001.jpg
Trump tower base pic. Is that waterfalls I see?

GThomas Apr 12, 2007 7:27 PM

Seems like someone mentioned a while back that there was a zoning issue or something for this water feature. Would love to see it though.

ThrashATL Apr 13, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GThomas (Post 2762662)
Seems like someone mentioned a while back that there was a zoning issue or something for this water feature. Would love to see it though.

Issue? Like what, keeping bums from taking baths in it like COP's fountains?