SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Does the Atlanta/Charlotte rivalry make sense? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237532)

jayden Jan 29, 2019 12:58 AM

Does the Atlanta/Charlotte rivalry make sense?

I've seen lots of comparisons lately, and I'm not sure why. They are different in so many ways. Thoughts?

skyscraperpage17 Jan 29, 2019 1:34 AM

It's a one way rivalry.

Charlotte tends to strive on becoming or surpassing Atlanta (prior to the recession, it was actually a point of brag by some residents/leaders). But Atlanta barely gives Charlotte a passing thought, as they're just not on the same level.

KB0679 Jan 29, 2019 1:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayden (Post 8452751)
I've seen lots of comparisons lately, and I'm not sure why. They are different in so many ways. Thoughts?

That doesn't mean it's an actual "rivalry."

But they are regional economic competitors, along with the Triangle, Nashville, Tampa, etc.

C. Jan 29, 2019 1:59 AM

I didn't know there was a rivalry. lol

Tuckerman Jan 29, 2019 5:12 PM

Charlotte is a nice city, but not in the same league. Similarly with Nashville. People sometimes bring up these comparisons, but they are out of line with population statistics and growth rates past and present. The valid statistical comparisons to Atlanta are Houston, Dallas, and Miami. And, as far as I know, there is no rivalry between these cities and Atlanta. (except in sports- but in that case the biggest rivalry is between NO and ATL).

Centropolis Jan 29, 2019 5:20 PM

i have never heard of this rivarly.

Crawford Jan 29, 2019 5:24 PM

Never heard of this rivalry, and don't understand why they would be considered "so different". They obviously share strong regional similarities, like NYC-Philly, Chicago-Milwaukee, LA-SD, etc.

cabasse Jan 29, 2019 5:29 PM

^ totally that. charlotte as a built environment is pretty similar to atl, probably the most similar city twin. atlanta is clearly bigger and offers more, but the similarities are there (just like chicago and milwaukee, nyc and philly)

Obadno Jan 29, 2019 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayden (Post 8452751)

Ive never thought of them as a Rivalry. Actually I tend to think of the Carolinas and southern half of Virginia as one "region" and Atlanta being the center of GA, N Florida, MS, AL and parts of Tennessee

L41A Jan 29, 2019 7:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8453596)
Ive never thought of them as a Rivalry. Actually I tend to think of the Carolinas and southern half of Virginia as one "region" and Atlanta being the center of GA, N Florida, MS, AL and parts of Tennessee

I don't think of Atlanta and Charlotte as a "rivalry".

However, I do feel as Upstate South Carolina and the Charlotte area of North Carolina is more in a region that includes Atlanta more than it would be in a region that would include the southern half of Virginia.

Northern NC (Raleigh, Durham, Winston Salem, etc) is more regional to parts of Southern Virginia -- i.e. Tobacco Road, etc.

Also, the centrality of Atlanta does not extend as to cover all of Alabama or even all of Georgia let alone Mississippi.

iheartthed Jan 29, 2019 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centropolis (Post 8453524)
i have never heard of this rivarly.

Having spent a lot of time in Charlotte, they do have a focus on Atlanta. Having spent a lot of time in Atlanta, they don't seem to be very aware of Charlotte.

iheartthed Jan 29, 2019 8:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L41A (Post 8453829)
I don't think of Atlanta and Charlotte as a "rivalry".

However, I do feel as Upstate South Carolina and the Charlotte area of North Carolina is more in a region that includes Atlanta more than it would be in a region that would include the southern half of Virginia.

Northern NC (Raleigh, Durham, Winston Salem, etc) is more regional to parts of Southern Virginia -- i.e. Tobacco Road, etc.

Also, the centrality of Atlanta does not extend as to cover all of Alabama or even all of Georgia let alone Mississippi.

100% agree with this... Charlotte is definitely more southward focused, and Raleigh more aligned with the areas north of it.

Sun Belt Jan 29, 2019 9:31 PM

Charlanta! No rivalry needed. It'll grow together. Similar built form, similar climate, neither city has great sports franchises.

Tuckerman Jan 29, 2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Belt (Post 8454044)
Charlanta! No rivalry needed. It'll grow together. Similar built form, similar climate, neither city has great sports franchises.

Except for Atlanta United! And don't forget the Falcons - they are pretty good much of the time and despite the Super Bowl loss to NE, most teams don't play in the Super Bowl. And the Braves are pretty good as well.

KB0679 Jan 29, 2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8453863)
Having spent a lot of time in Charlotte, they do have a focus on Atlanta. Having spent a lot of time in Atlanta, they don't seem to be very aware of Charlotte.

The city's business and civic leaders are certainly aware of Charlotte and have been ever since it stole most of Atlanta's banks in the 90's and early 2000's.

Sun Belt Jan 30, 2019 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckerman (Post 8454187)
Except for Atlanta United! And don't forget the Falcons - they are pretty good much of the time and despite the Super Bowl loss to NE, most teams don't play in the Super Bowl. And the Braves are pretty good as well.

True, true.

I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of legendary status.

I was a huge Braves fan in the 1990s. John Smoltz, Avery, no gloves wearing - Terry Pendelton, David Justice, Ron Gant, among so many others, those were the dudes back in the day.

I used to hit up the Durham Bulls in person and used to love the Braves -- still do to some extent.

Docere Jan 30, 2019 12:51 AM

Atlanta is in a totally different "tier" than Charlotte, so I've never really thought about this rivalry.

kcexpress69 Jan 30, 2019 1:22 AM

I've never heard of it either between those two cities, but then again, I don't live out that way. Not sure why there would be one outside of sports.

CLTguy811 Jan 30, 2019 3:36 PM

I've been in Charlotte since 2010. I think sporting rivalry is there, sometimes we're competing for the same company relocation so there's a bit of that as well but that is not something many in the metro area are rallying behind.

The most I see is we look at Atlanta as our future path and in some ways what to do and what not to do. Sometimes perception is more on the what not to do side in regards to sprawl and traffic though we have our own issues there. The growth we're seeing folks on other boards into urban development compare to Atlanta of the 80's, I don't think many try to stack up where we are today to where Atlanta's growth has them at today.

As someone mentioned that Charlotte-Greenville-Atlanta I-85 corridor is seeing large amounts of growth and that should hopefully only benefit our region as a whole.

skyscraperpage17 Feb 7, 2019 1:20 PM

Well this stinks...

Atlanta's SunTrust Bank to merge with BB&T, shift HQ to Charlotte

https://www.wsbtv.com/amp/news/local...deal/916033270