SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174131)

The Jabroni Mar 18, 2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 4750375)
Wal-mart expanding on Regent avenue
CJOB News Team reporting
3/17/2010

Wal-Mart is proposing to expand and convert its existing location on Regent Avenue into a Super Center concept including a full line of groceries.

CJOB News has learned an application was made to the City of Winnipeg to expand the Crossroads Station by 30,000 square feet and create two main entrances.

It will mean more competition in the city in the lucrative grocery sector.

Wal-Mart has opened more than 80 supercenters in Canada including two in Saskatchewan -- one last month in Regina and the month before in Saskatoon..

Superstore = DONE!! :frog:

Winnipegger Mar 18, 2010 3:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Jabroni (Post 4751615)

Until they attract a Wal-Mart near the University area along bison drive, the Superstore will always still be a good place to shop for students in years to come! I don't foresee this one closing down anytime soon.

hexrae Mar 18, 2010 4:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnipegger (Post 4751900)
Until they attract a Wal-Mart near the University area along bison drive, the Superstore will always still be a good place to shop for students in years to come! I don't foresee this one closing down anytime soon.

Same goes for the Superstore Sargent location. There's a Walmart (albeit not the 'supercenter' version), Costco and new Safeway in the area and it's still busy.

flatlander Mar 18, 2010 4:53 AM

Joe beats George, hands down.

RTD Mar 18, 2010 4:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Jabroni (Post 4751615)

Hardly. There are many Superstores adjacent to Walmart Supercentres in other Canadian provinces, and they are not anywhere close to being "done". They co-exist in peace with eachother. It just provides shoppers with more alternatives. It's not like Winnipeg is some one horse town. As shitty as I believe the quality of food at a wallyworld supercentre is, it provides shoppers with alternatives to what is out there. It's a healthy sign of free market entreprise. The more, the merrier I say. Let the market dictate what succeeds and what fails.

1ajs Mar 18, 2010 4:59 AM

well i usualy find i go to stupid store then wallmart then wat ever els store never get everything in the same store just never happens

Jeff Mar 18, 2010 5:01 AM

i wouldn't want to imagine walmart killing the safeways in osborne and on marion.. complete lifelines for those without cars!!!!

RTD Mar 18, 2010 5:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 4751994)
i wouldn't want to imagine walmart killing the safeways in osborne and on marion.. complete lifelines for those without cars!!!!

You won't have to worry about that. Walmarts tend to build on the outskirts of cities, at least in Canada. Areas like Osborne and Marion are safe from the effects of Walmart.

Jeff Mar 18, 2010 5:10 AM

the talbot@panet location is F*%ked!

1ajs Mar 18, 2010 5:13 AM

wallmart is not at talbot and panet thats safeway

RTD Mar 18, 2010 5:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 4752012)
the talbot@panet location is F*%ked!

There is no Walmart or Superstore location at Talbot and Panet. Only Safeway, and it's no where near fucked. It's successful and prosperous.

Jeff Mar 18, 2010 5:26 AM

i'm just being pessimistic about this due to its proximity to the new SUPER walmart.. no facts or numbers to back this statement up!

RTD Mar 18, 2010 5:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 4752029)
i'm just being pessimistic about this due to its proximity to the new SUPER walmart.. no facts or numbers to back this statement up!

No, but that is the typical Winnipeg negative attitude. Believe me, there is room for competition in Winnipeg, a city with a CMA of about three quarters of a million people.

Jeff Mar 18, 2010 5:38 AM

yes, 3/4 of a million is now upon us, but this is still winnipeg. i've tried to be such a huge proponent of winnipeg, but this still is winnipeg!!! nothing should surprise anyone! giant tiger is our newest number in the equation...

1ajs Mar 18, 2010 6:09 AM

jeff winnipeg is big enuff trust me

that shopping distirct serves that section of the city all the stores are allready busy as hell theres room

SpongeG Mar 18, 2010 6:13 AM

i don't find the walmart super centres cheaper than superstore in canada the super centres aren't nearly as cheap as the ones in the states

they are convenient but not much of a bargain

hows the bath & body works coming along? i love all the winnipeg posters on facebook who are creaming their pants waiting for it

1ajs Mar 18, 2010 6:21 AM

shame we lost the body shop downtown gues i'll just go to the independant one at the forks market

SpongeG Mar 18, 2010 6:47 AM

do you have fruits & passion in winnipeg?

most of the ones here have shut down, I can only think of two locations left

1ajs Mar 18, 2010 6:57 AM

never herd of it

Kinguni Mar 18, 2010 7:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 4752090)
do you have fruits & passion in winnipeg?

most of the ones here have shut down, I can only think of two locations left

Their website says there are 2 here, one in Polo Park and one in St. Vital Centre.

SpongeG Mar 18, 2010 8:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 4752100)
never herd of it

its a canadian company sort of like bath & Body works

http://www.fcpfirst.com/imgs_stores/...ion700x500.jpg
fcpfirst.com

1ajs Mar 18, 2010 8:11 AM

weird never seen them but then i don't go to polo park very often let alone st vital

The Jabroni Mar 19, 2010 12:45 AM

That last comment I made was a bit of jest, since I work at a Superstore.

In all seriousness, competition is a good thing. The Sargent Superstore has been our main rival since the day it opened (I'm working at McPhillips Superstore), mainly because it's located near a Costco, Polo Park itself, and Wal Mart.

Loblaw may have been on the defensive for years now, but it was inevitable that Wal-Mart will open up a Supercentre here.

SpongeG Apr 10, 2010 4:15 AM

is the bath and body works open yet? was their an audible screeach from the ladies?

Winnipegger@Heart Apr 10, 2010 1:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 4752040)
yes, 3/4 of a million is now upon us, but this is still winnipeg. i've tried to be such a huge proponent of winnipeg, but this still is winnipeg!!! nothing should surprise anyone! giant tiger is our newest number in the equation...

Now now--despite the differences in opinions about Ikea...are you not somewhat intrigued that we will be getting one, while larger cities than us do not have one?

GmC Apr 21, 2010 8:44 PM

Looks like Roots in Polo Park is moving next to the Apple store. Anybody know what's going in the old Roots and Latitutde location? That's a prime location in the mall.

bomberguy Apr 21, 2010 10:48 PM

Pro Hockey Life Coming to Winnipeg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2550/...9d7a3fded3.jpg
Call it the Costco of all Hockey Stores… Pro Hockey Life, the world’s largest hockey equipment retailer, is opening up shop in Winnipeg.
They will be building a 20,000-square foot megastore near Polo Park Shopping Centre this fall. The entrance will be located at an elevated portion of the store, so when you first walk in you’ll have a perfect view of what the megastore has to offer.
PROHOCKEYLIFE.COM

http://www.accesswinnipeg.com/2010/0...ng-to-winnipeg

Biff Apr 23, 2010 1:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GmC (Post 4805804)
Looks like Roots in Polo Park is moving next to the Apple store. Anybody know what's going in the old Roots and Latitutde location? That's a prime location in the mall.

The old Roots location is going to be called SpareParts. It is an accessory store. www.sparepartslife.com

JayM Apr 23, 2010 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 4808594)
The old Roots location is going to be called SpareParts. It is an accessory store. www.sparepartslife.com

I don't see on their website anything about a Winnipeg location.

Biff Apr 23, 2010 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayM (Post 4809173)
I don't see on their website anything about a Winnipeg location.

I have seen the plans for that location in Polo Park. Give it a week.

JayM Apr 23, 2010 9:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 4809361)
I have seen the plans for that location in Polo Park. Give it a week.

Never heard of the company but it looks pretty nifty by the looks of the website.

dsim249 Apr 23, 2010 11:09 PM

^ Ya it's a good store. My sister used to work at the one here. They move a lot of merchandise for such a physically small store. Pretty much the place to go for young-ish people to buy name brand sunglasses, watches, hats and belts.

1ajs Apr 24, 2010 3:55 AM

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Bay flagship of revitalized Zellers chain

Most city stores get facelift

By: Geoff Kirbyson
23/04/2010 1:00 AM

KEN GIGLIOTTI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Enlarge Image
Zellers store in downtown Bay part of revitalized chain.

It's no longer just about saving the downtown Bay store, it's also about revitalizing the presence of its sister company.
Zellers will move into the basement of the historic Portage Avenue landmark later this year, the first time the two iconic retailers have shared the same address.

The move is part of a $15-million to $20-million renovation planned for seven Zellers stores in Winnipeg this year. Phase one calls for construction to begin on overhauls at five stores -- Polo Park Shopping Centre, Kildonan Place, Northgate Shopping Centre, Southdale Mall and Grant Park Shopping Centre -- in May.
They will all remain open during the renovations and have their grand reopenings in August. Construction downtown and at the Fort Richmond store will start in the summer with the ribbon cuttings scheduled for Nov. 4.
Mark Foote, president and CEO of Zellers Inc., said the overriding goal is to make the stores easier to shop at for consumers. That means considerably wider aisles, a streamlining of items on the shelves, a more prominent placement for pharmacy and a renewed focus on departments for mothers and children, toys, bed and bath and kitchens.
Chief among changes will be the introduction of a "full-convenience food market," which will feature fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy, breads, meats and dry goods such as cereals, cookies and granola bars. There will be a significant candy department in each store, too.
Not every location is being renovated, however. Its Henderson Highway store in the River East Plaza, even though it was profitable, will close next January.
"It's a lease termination. The site is being redeveloped by the landlord. It was quite a good store for us," he said, noting the 80 employees will not be laid off and will instead be redeployed at other stores in the city.
With its high ceilings, large floor plate and less-than-optimal value of merchandise per square foot of retail space, the Bay isn't done looking for tenants. Company officials have said for several years it would prefer to move all of its goods into the lower couple of floors while leasing out the top four.
"It's an incredibly historic building for us. It's important that we put our best foot forward," Foote said.
Sandy Shindleman, president and CEO of real estate developer Shindico Inc., which has been tasked with filling the space with other retailers, said it's "great news" Zellers is moving into the basement. Not only will downtown residents continue to have access to food and pharmacy, staples of the basement space for many years, but its arrival will also kick off a much-needed renovation to the building.
"We're at a stage now where we have suspects identified to use a couple of floors and we need to find tenants for a couple of more. Pricing is being pursued now. Hopefully, we'll be able to come up with the financial (situation) required for everyone to succeed and see new tenants go into the Bay," he said.
The 67,000-square-foot basement is about 13,000 square feet smaller than a small Zellers store. It also has fewer access points, which Foote said will be partially alleviated by the installation of another escalator.
He said he doesn't believe either store will cannibalize the business of the other as they don't share price points or many products on the shelves.
"Zellers focuses on high-frequency goods at a relatively low price. That's not an area the Bay intends to focus on," he said.
geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca

RTD Apr 24, 2010 2:31 PM

^ So does this mean that we will FINALLY see renovations to the floors that The Bay currently occupies, thereby sprucing up the store by making it more appealing for shoppers and thwarting the relocation of the store altogether????

RTD Apr 24, 2010 3:15 PM

Bed, Bath & Beyond coming to Winnipeg

Apparently, they are in the process of hiring for the new Winnipeg store, another good sign of the retail sector in the city:

http://ca.indeed.com/job/Store-Manag...1f2157edfb5190

http://www.workopolis.com/EN/job/11367676

RTD Apr 24, 2010 3:31 PM

H & M still coming to Winnipeg; just waiting for "perfect location"

No H&M store in Winnipeg until 'perfect location' found
By: Martin Cash

H&M is not building a store in Polo Park after all.A few months ago we raised the spirits of many Winnipeggers with a report that, at the time, seemed all but certain that the Swedish fashion retailer was opening its first store in Winnipeg.

But alas, it is not true... yet.

Emily Scarlett, a spokeswoman for H&M in Canada, said she'd heard all the rumours -- at least partially coming from the fact the company was advertising for positions in Winnipeg on its website -- but said the company has still has not found the right location.

"Winnipeg is at the top of our wish list," she said. "But especially when it is the first store in a city we want to be patient and find the perfect location."

The company no longer has Winnipeg positions posted and Scarlett said it had previously been testing the water to see what kind of interest and staffing availability there might be if and when they do open a store.

The rumour mill was churning also because of the reconfiguration of the space at the eastern end of the mall where the Safeway store used to be. About five other stores contiguous to the former Safeway location have been relocated and major demolition work is just about complete on the 40,000 square feet of space that is now empty.

"We never did have a lease with H&M and we do not have any tenants lined up yet for the space," said Deborah Green, Polo Park's manager.

H&M typically builds 18,000-square-foot stores.

Scarlett said the company believes there is "great interest" in Winnipeg for an H&M store, both in terms of potential employees and customers.

But she said they are still looking for the "perfect location" for first-time stores in Winnipeg and Ottawa.

H&M is famous for its huge selection with women's, men's, teens' and children's lines refreshed daily with new items and low prices.

There are close to 1,800 H&M stores in 34 countries, including 51 stores in Canada -- but none between southern Ontario and Alberta.

martin.cash@freepress.mb.ca

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition February 10, 2010 B7

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...-83998097.html

waffler Apr 26, 2010 4:38 AM

pizza hotline/cafe22

theyre opening a pizza hotline/cafe 22 at the corner of hargrave and broadway where the creol restaraunt is looks pretty snazzy inside i must say

1ajs Apr 26, 2010 4:45 AM

a what now?

ihatesquirrels Apr 26, 2010 5:38 AM

^You know, "two two two twenty two twenty two..."

Go on a Monday and $6.99 buys you a pretty decent pie.

JustinL Apr 26, 2010 6:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffler (Post 4812459)
theyre opening a pizza hotline/cafe 22 at the corner of hargrave and broadway where the creol restaraunt is looks pretty snazzy inside i must say

MMM just down the street. I'll admit, their whole wheat thin crust pizza isn't half bad. I'll go check it out on a walk tomorrow, but any word on an opening date?

Edit: looks pretty good. They've got a notice that they've applied for a liquor license for indoor and outdoor serving of alcohol. Patio?

cslusarc May 1, 2010 4:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 4809906)
....Not every location is being renovated, however. Its Henderson Highway store in the River East Plaza, even though it was profitable, will close next January. "It's a lease termination. The site is being redeveloped by the landlord. It was quite a good store for us," he said, noting the 80 employees will not be laid off and will instead be redeployed at other stores in the city....

....The 67,000-square-foot basement is about 13,000 square feet smaller than a small Zellers store.....

1. I wonder how River East Plaza will be redeveloped? Canada Safeway has always wanted its store to face Chief Peguis Trail.

2. The Zellers in the Bay's basement is a good thing. Too Bad they couldn't try a new store concept and have Zellers and The Bay merchandise scattered thought the store by department.

Jeff May 1, 2010 6:46 AM

cafe 22 is exactly what broadway needs!

the one on provencher is nice, but i will most certainly go to this new location a lot more.

broadway should be complete residential focus! no more offices/parking should be allowed at all.. only more high-density condo/residential.

ie: the empty lot across from the fort garry hotel @ the keg = a 20-storey condo!

ie: the lot at edmonton beside the subway = mixed use 20+ storey condo!

this city needs it but wiould it will sell?

pegcity May 1, 2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslusarc (Post 4820734)
2. The Zellers in the Bay's basement is a good thing. Too Bad they couldn't try a new store concept and have Zellers and The Bay merchandise scattered thought the store by department.

I was thinking that too, they could call it Bellers, or the Zay.

RAFS May 1, 2010 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslusarc (Post 4820734)
1. I wonder how River East Plaza will be redeveloped? Canada Safeway has always wanted its store to face Chief Peguis Trail.

I heard, from another business in that area, that the Zellers is to become a Giant Tiger. I cannot vouch for the source, so please take this information with a huge grain of salt.

Biff May 1, 2010 6:03 PM

^^^ The whole existing dumpy building will be torn down and Safeway will build a stand alone store just like the new Madison Square store. There will be a couple of other stand alone buildings on site but no Zellers.

RTD May 1, 2010 9:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFS (Post 4821044)
I heard, from another business in that area, that the Zellers is to become a Giant Tiger. I cannot vouch for the source, so please take this information with a huge grain of salt.

Good Lord, I hope not. There are enough bargain bin stores in this town.:yuck:

cslusarc May 1, 2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 4821165)
^^^ The whole existing dumpy building will be torn down and Safeway will build a stand alone store just like the new Madison Square store. There will be a couple of other stand alone buildings on site but no Zellers.

What River East Plaza really needs is some medium density mixed-use development. How about a residential High Rise tower above the new Stand Alone Safeway Store?

The Jabroni May 2, 2010 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslusarc (Post 4821325)
What River East Plaza really needs is some medium density mixed-use development. How about a residential High Rise tower above the new Stand Alone Safeway Store?

That's going to be difficult, since CPT is going to be built adjacent to the location, and then you have a CIBC and other strip malls across from River East Plaza. Then you have the other apartment complexes across Donwood, and the highrises all around.

It may be possible, but it will require a lot of careful planning with that idea in mind.

flatlander May 7, 2010 5:53 PM

Cake-ology has opened up in the exchange district, on arthur in the Mariaggi Hotel building. Looks tasty!

www.cake-ology.ca/

newflyer May 21, 2010 1:40 AM

I have heard that there has now been an expression of interest of around 1.5 million square feet of space for the Elms development, which is double the amount of space available. Looking very promising consider the remaining weak state of the global economy.

With the constrcution timing issue now put aside Creswin is now working to complete various lease transactions. I am really looking forward to seeing this development deliver many new retailers to our city.