SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174131)

vjose32 Sep 23, 2014 9:35 PM

No I don't, i'm not working on that site.

What I do know is that when the hoarding comes down next week, you won't see Zellers anymore, but you will see this.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...5d94bf13078aca

Across the mall from this there is nothing built yet but i've seen a print that shows 2 shops going there, just don't know what. All I know is nothing has been done there. The only other undeveloped spot is towards the other end, next to Swarovski, which we are using for storage at the moment. But i'm sure something will go in those places sooner than later.

horrorbro123 Sep 23, 2014 10:14 PM

I'm Looking Forward Check out New Stores at Polo Park On October 1st

scryer Sep 28, 2014 6:17 AM

I was speaking to a friend and they said that the new H&M kind of sucks... is it true?

bomberguy Sep 28, 2014 6:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scryer (Post 6746595)
I was speaking to a friend and they said that the new H&M kind of sucks... is it true?

Pretty much the same as every H&M out there, just smaller.

horrorbro123 Sep 29, 2014 4:46 PM

I Saw Urban Outfitters Sign at Polo Park https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/...ba&oe=54BED150

vjose32 Sep 29, 2014 7:08 PM

Well looks like Footlocker will be coming to the expansion in a few months.

horrorbro123 Sep 29, 2014 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vjose32 (Post 6747976)
Well looks like Footlocker will be coming to the expansion in a few months.

Good Idea Move Footlocker New Location at Polo Park Nice!

vjose32 Sep 30, 2014 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horrorbro123 (Post 6747996)
Good Idea Move Footlocker New Location at Polo Park Nice!

There's also going to be a Kids Footlocker along with that. Not sure what is going to fill the other vacancy in the expansion. Also say a sign outside for Anthropologie.

Here is another one of ours, Swarovski. All we have left now is to finish up the new Claire's. Only a couple of stores still have hoarding up. It was nice to walk in this morning and see that the hoarding has come off the mall entrances and now all the stands in the way is some curtains. It's nice to be able to look into the expansion from the existing mall for a change.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...6c&oe=54CAD733

horrorbro123 Sep 30, 2014 4:14 AM

Nice I Can't Wait Check Out On Wednesday Also Lids as Well at Polo Park :)

trebor204 Sep 30, 2014 4:51 AM

They have now removed the boarding covering the new wings and replaced it with curtains until Wednesday.
It looks like they having electronic kiosks in the new wing at Polo Park.

horrorbro123 Sep 30, 2014 4:55 AM

Foot Locker House of Hoops Is Coming To Polo Park Sweet :) https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2949/...df5_b.jpg?zz=1

vjose32 Oct 1, 2014 1:39 AM

Yes I already mentioned that trebor and horrorbro. Btw horrorbro how did you get in that area?

horrorbro123 Oct 1, 2014 7:24 PM

Kids Foot Locker Is Coming to Polo Park

vjose32 Oct 1, 2014 8:32 PM

Yes the new Footlocker looks like it will be much bigger than the old one.

The new Claire's should open within the next couple of days.

vjose32 Oct 1, 2014 8:47 PM

Just had a thought on how St. Vital could potentially expand. What they could do is buy out Walmart's lease and expand into that area, that would increase the mall quite a bit. Walmart could be a new Super Walmart somewhere, I suppose down Bishop Grandin or on Lag perhaps. I say this because it's quite clear Walmart isn't fond of mall locations and doesn't appear to have a mall entrance anymore in St. Vital. I would HATE going to a mall with Walmart and having to go all the way outside to go to Walmart and I know I can't be the only one, are they idiots? I also think it would be a good idea if that mall had a parkade added like Polo Park has. Yeah it would mean having to walk down stairs or going down an elevator to get to the mall but that place badly needs more parking and going up seems to be their only option.

As for Polo Park, I suppose if Sears gets out and gets replaced by Nordstrom then that potentially frees up the whole second floor of Sears, no? I would use that area to expand it even further, just like they did with the old Zellers. Anyway, I don't know Nordstrom but i'm assuming they don't need 2 levels of store for clothing and what not.

Speaking of Sears, just how much longer can they keep the lights on in their St James Home Store? There is barely anyone ever there from what I have seen.

esquire Oct 1, 2014 9:05 PM

^ Walmart doesn't have a direct mall entrance at St. Vital, but there is an indoor corridor connecting the mall to their store. It's sort of weird... it's like they don't want to be connected but mall management made them or something.

I would imagine Walmart must be happy with their St Vital location considering they've been there for a good 20 years now. Unless I'm mistaken, it must be the last of the original Woolco locations in Winnipeg still operating as a Walmart.

CoryB Oct 1, 2014 9:59 PM

The St Vital retail area is easily in the top three in Winnipeg. The issue preventing Walmart from closing the mall location is likely the lack of an available and suitable site in the area.

In terms of expansion of St Vital, if you were looking to convert a big box to smaller stores the Sears location seems like a lot higher potential than Walmart. The challenge becomes what to do with the second floor space there. Another possibility might be to add a second floor to the whole mall. This would put the total space in the neighbourhood of Metropolis, Square One and Eaton Centre. There is also precedent for this occurring in Winnipeg.

vjose32 Oct 2, 2014 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoryB (Post 6751524)
The St Vital retail area is easily in the top three in Winnipeg. The issue preventing Walmart from closing the mall location is likely the lack of an available and suitable site in the area.

In terms of expansion of St Vital, if you were looking to convert a big box to smaller stores the Sears location seems like a lot higher potential than Walmart. The challenge becomes what to do with the second floor space there. Another possibility might be to add a second floor to the whole mall. This would put the total space in the neighbourhood of Metropolis, Square One and Eaton Centre. There is also precedent for this occurring in Winnipeg.

I wasn't aware that Sears at St. Vital had a second floor?

And yes there is precedent as Polo Park did that a long time ago. But the main concern would be if the current structure could support it or how to get around that. I guess it worked for Polo so it would work there too.

Bdog Oct 2, 2014 2:50 AM

I can't see Walmart wanting to move from their location at St. Vital mall. They essentially have the best of both (or more) worlds:

1. They have frontage at the intersection of major arteries (Bishop and Dakota), as they would in a box-store format (not to mention that while they don't front on St. Mary's, they're close enough).

2. They have the added foot-traffic generated from what is easily the second highest revenue mall in the City

3. They aren't pressed for space, which is a reason they moved out of other malls in the late 90s (there was a major footprint expansion of the St. Vital Wal-Mart in around 99/2000, increasing the size by about a 3rd)

4. Their location is optimal, in terms of demographics, access, etc.

Biff Oct 2, 2014 1:36 PM

St Vital Mall cannot add any more sq ft unless parking is increased. Obviously the only way to increase parking is to build a parking structure. Both are very expensive so they are planning carefully. Either way it wont happen any time soon as they just spent a pile of money on roofing and HVAC units to the mall proper. The anchors of Sears and The Bay are different stories. They could easily pull a Polo Park type renovation to increase the number of stores should either close.