SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

roletand Dec 12, 2020 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 9121603)
I really like this mid-rise office building in Little Italy, it'll bring some diversity in land uses to that neighborhood.

And that Office Depot needs to be replaced ASAP. It's hilariously out of place.

Agreed, it's nice to see a building going in that space that isn't an apartment building.

Are there any rumors on who's occupying the office space? Their site says "Retail and office space are available Q1 2021." however I'm curious if that date will stick.

roletand Dec 12, 2020 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 9116799)
So construction isn't going to start until Q1 2022, jeez this thing is really lagging. When you say economy being in a different place by then you mean magically it will all just be better or it will be in a much worse place?

Don't you see huge budget deficits for municipalities after a full year of way lower TOT revenues, no conventions, etc?

-------

Speaking of another massive project it looks like the Chula Vista Bayfront Hotel and CC will be breaking ground Q2 next year :)

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ing-port-commi

It looks like the Port approved the permit for Harbor Park to be built directly in front of the Gaylord Pacific Resort and Convention Center.

http://https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/story/2020-12-09/harbor-park-a-47-5m-coastal-attraction-in-chula-vista-okd-by-port

https://www.portofsandiego.org/press...al-development

SamFlood Dec 22, 2020 1:35 AM

Just a cool shot from a webcam


https://resource4.earthcam.net/v0/ob...JjyzaSLQ!!.jpg

roletand Dec 31, 2020 5:36 PM

It looks like another attempt to develop Fifth Avenue Landing is rejected. Some port commissioners believe the project is too large for the site, among other objections. One quote from the article jumps out at me.

Port commissioners reject $455 million hotel project on San Diego’s downtown bayfront

Quote:

“I love this project, I’ve always liked the hotel, the affordable accommodations but I don’t like it here,” said Commissioner Rafael Castellanos, one of five commissioners who voted against the project. ...

“No question there are tremendous benefits to this project from an economic perspective. But I am very skeptical, I’m incredulous that the (California) Coastal Commission would approve a 44-story hotel tower, 800 rooms that are perpendicular and literally on top of the pedestrian promenade ... I wish the project was in a different location. I don’t believe the environmental impacts can be mitigated and that view obstruction is insurmountable.”
Is it really reasonable to expect the California Coastal Commission to reject an 800 room hotel when the Hilton San Diego Bayfront is right next door? That hotel already has 1,190 rooms with the option of a second tower adding approximately 500 rooms and 55,000 net square feet of ballroom/meeting space.

mello Dec 31, 2020 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roletand (Post 9146035)
It looks like another attempt to develop Fifth Avenue Landing is rejected. Some port commissioners believe the project is too large for the site, among other objections. One quote from the article jumps out at me.

Port commissioners reject $455 million hotel project on San Diego’s downtown bayfront



Is it really reasonable to expect the California Coastal Commission to reject an 800 room hotel when the Hilton San Diego Bayfront is right next door? That hotel already has 1,190 rooms with the option of a second tower adding approximately 500 rooms and 55,000 net square feet of ballroom/meeting space.

This is probably just all politics because they are fighting the courts to approve Measure A or whatever it was because it was a voter ballot initiative that got 65% and the City is desperate for the funding and jobs to build the convention center expansion etc.

If they approve this is it will muck up the CC expansion effort.

HurricaneHugo Jan 10, 2021 3:53 AM

Super vaccine station being built in tailgate park.

(From Reddit)

https://preview.redd.it/5jyg3po0qea6...=webp&e03a851a

Will O' Wisp Jan 11, 2021 10:48 AM

More info on the Seaport San Diego redo:

What’s happening with Seaport San Diego, the $2.5B redo of downtown’s Central Embarcadero?


https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/d...-201810-14.png

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/d...-201810-13.png

I gotta say, of all the projects I expected might be delayed/canceled by COVID, this was the one I thought most likely. Good to see there's still some motion behind it.

SamFlood Jan 12, 2021 5:23 AM

Little Italy site clearing



https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...18f7582b_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...c41c902d_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...88ff009f_b.jpg

mello Jan 12, 2021 7:29 PM

Glad to see that Little Italy project moving forward. I also saw earth moving equipment at the last lot of La Jolla Commons just west of the 805. It was 2 things not massive tractors so we shall see if something is brewing there.

SDfan Jan 13, 2021 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 9157466)
Glad to see that Little Italy project moving forward. I also saw earth moving equipment at the last lot of La Jolla Commons just west of the 805. It was 2 things not massive tractors so we shall see if something is brewing there.

Hmm, well the whole site was sold in 2019, including the entitled lot.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...alifornia.html

According to Open DSD the sites permits expire in 2023, so they gotta get crackin or get an extension.

https://opendsd.sandiego.gov/Web/Pro...Details/324553

mello Jan 13, 2021 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 9158233)
Hmm, well the whole site was sold in 2019, including the entitled lot.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...alifornia.html

According to Open DSD the sites permits expire in 2023, so they gotta get crackin or get an extension.

https://opendsd.sandiego.gov/Web/Pro...Details/324553

Nice hopefully they do get cracking because that is a waist of space.

Also noticed a decent amount of the parking lot at UTC probably 2 to acres right next to the new tower in SW Corner of property is fenced off with heavy equipment parked on it... Hmm any word of another tower going in there? Why not with malls and retail looking rough in the coming years keep adding housing!! :cheers:

SDfan Jan 14, 2021 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 9158447)
Nice hopefully they do get cracking because that is a waist of space.

Also noticed a decent amount of the parking lot at UTC probably 2 to acres right next to the new tower in SW Corner of property is fenced off with heavy equipment parked on it... Hmm any word of another tower going in there? Why not with malls and retail looking rough in the coming years keep adding housing!! :cheers:

I don't know of any other towers at UTC, I recall them maybe developing some office, but, who knows? It's hard to keep track these days lol

SDfan Jan 14, 2021 12:41 AM

Quote:

San Diego loosens rules for housing under flight paths, adds incentives for moderate-income homes

"The 44 policy changes, which were approved by the city’s Planning Commission in October, include exempting downtown properties from an existing 500-foot height limit and eliminating lighting fixtures from such calculations.

While most of downtown still must abide by height limits which keep buildings lower than 500 feet because of concerns about flight paths, the change will eliminate the height limit for a small number of downtown properties."

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...medium=twitter
Will, please help me understand this *again* :haha:

Will O' Wisp Jan 14, 2021 6:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 9158903)
Will, please help me understand this *again* :haha:

Oh god this article.... :irked:

The height limit thing is, again, removing the 500' above sea level limit. Not the 500' above ground level. So if your site is on a 30' hill, you can build a 500' tower instead of a 470' one.

Regarding "rules for housing under flight paths", state law says every airport needs an Airport Land Use Compatibility Plan (ALUCP) that lays out land usage restrictions for noise, safety, etc. The regional airport authority, which runs SDIA, makes one for each airport in the county based on state and FAA guidance. One of those guidelines says you're not supposed to allow any housing within 6000' feet of a runway end... a rule that just about every airport in California breaks because they didn't start making these ALUCPs until the early 2000s. So instead, they all just froze housing density at whatever it was when they adopted the ALUCP.

A local jurisdiction, like the City of San Diego, can override the ALUCP if it wants to. But then it also assumes all legal liability if, say, an airliner runs into the housing block they just approved. Because of the potential liability issues most cities approve these exemptions on a case by case basis. But then most cities aren't San Diego, where practically half the city is within a mile of one runway or another, and there's constant requests for exemptions. So the city got together and laid out a map of potential exemptions they'd allow, and basically tells the authority "we're preapproved everything on here". Saves everyone time really.

Man I wish journalists would spend a little more time trying to understand what they're writing about instead of being vague and confusing.

SDfan Jan 14, 2021 2:18 PM

Thanks, Will!

Nerv Jan 19, 2021 6:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp (Post 9159177)
Oh god this article.... :irked:

The height limit thing is, again, removing the 500' above sea level limit. Not the 500' above ground level. So if your site is on a 30' hill, you can build a 500' tower instead of a 470' one.

Regarding "rules for housing under flight paths", state law says every airport needs an Airport Land Use Compatibility Plan (ALUCP) that lays out land usage restrictions for noise, safety, etc. The regional airport authority, which runs SDIA, makes one for each airport in the county based on state and FAA guidance. One of those guidelines says you're not supposed to allow any housing within 6000' feet of a runway end... a rule that just about every airport in California breaks because they didn't start making these ALUCPs until the early 2000s. So instead, they all just froze housing density at whatever it was when they adopted the ALUCP.

A local jurisdiction, like the City of San Diego, can override the ALUCP if it wants to. But then it also assumes all legal liability if, say, an airliner runs into the housing block they just approved. Because of the potential liability issues most cities approve these exemptions on a case by case basis. But then most cities aren't San Diego, where practically half the city is within a mile of one runway or another, and there's constant requests for exemptions. So the city got together and laid out a map of potential exemptions they'd allow, and basically tells the authority "we're preapproved everything on here". Saves everyone time really.

Man I wish journalists would spend a little more time trying to understand what they're writing about instead of being vague and confusing.

Does the 500 foot limit extend to 17th street? I don’t expect anything over 500 feet but wasn’t sure if the 500 foot rule covered all of downtown or dropped lower still in parts (not counting the height from sea level nonsense). Also any idea what the height limit is once you cross over the 5 past downtown?

Will O' Wisp Jan 19, 2021 7:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv (Post 9164278)
Does the 500 foot limit extend to 17th street? I don’t expect anything over 500 feet but wasn’t sure if the 500 foot rule covered all of downtown or dropped lower still in parts (not counting the height from sea level nonsense). Also any idea what the height limit is once you cross over the 5 past downtown?

Here's a map:

https://i.imgur.com/euYKSvz.jpg


The Part 77 surfaces in this chart are recommended height limits, which are just 166.8 feet over most of downtown. Cities can elect to override them, but the State of CA restricts anything that exceeds the recommendations to no more than 500 feet above ground. From the outermost circle, the 500 foot limit extends almost to the Coronado bridge. I would note that this image only includes San Diego International, North Island and Montgomery Field have their own airspace limitations.

As you can see the Part 77 surfaces do get lower closer to the airport, but determining the actual height limit before you start impacting flight operations is a more complex topic.

Nerv Jan 19, 2021 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp (Post 9164298)
Here's a map:

https://i.imgur.com/euYKSvz.jpg


The Part 77 surfaces in this chart are recommended height limits, which are just 166.8 feet over most of downtown. Cities can elect to override them, but the State of CA restricts anything that exceeds the recommendations to no more than 500 feet above ground. From the outermost circle, the 500 foot limit extends almost to the Coronado bridge. I would note that this image only includes San Diego International, North Island and Montgomery Field have their own airspace limitations.

As you can see the Part 77 surfaces do get lower closer to the airport, but determining the actual height limit before you start impacting flight operations is a more complex topic.

Thanks. I didn’t realize it went that far out. Using Mapquest it’s showing that’s a 6.6 mile drive from 30th street to the airport. That map shows you’d probably be into 32nd street before you could ever think about a building over 500 feet if it was allowed. I was just curious as lack of housing becomes tighter in the state and the cities here get more pressure from the state to build dense if the downtown area would bleed over at some point into the surrounding lower built areas of the city. Didn’t expect anything over 500 feet but maybe more pressure to build higher on the cities outer limits. 2020’s events have paused things for now but the state seemed set on forcing changes to the cities here about building higher (more dense). Downtown bleeding outward seemed a natural event...

Will O' Wisp Jan 21, 2021 7:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv (Post 9164705)
Thanks. I didn’t realize it went that far out. Using Mapquest it’s showing that’s a 6.6 mile drive from 30th street to the airport. That map shows you’d probably be into 32nd street before you could ever think about a building over 500 feet if it was allowed. I was just curious as lack of housing becomes tighter in the state and the cities here get more pressure from the state to build dense if the downtown area would bleed over at some point into the surrounding lower built areas of the city. Didn’t expect anything over 500 feet but maybe more pressure to build higher on the cities outer limits. 2020’s events have paused things for now but the state seemed set on forcing changes to the cities here about building higher (more dense). Downtown bleeding outward seemed a natural event...

True, but once can achieve density without overwhelming height. I've seen planning documents that show it's physically feasible for downtown San Diego to fit over 200k+ residents with population density greater than Manhattan, without removing the 500' limit. The trick is to increase FAR limits. Low and stocky is just as good at creating density as tall and thin, and often cheaper to boot.

Note: supporting populations larger than ~100k would require significant improvements in infrastructure, especially public transit. Downtown is currently scoped for 90k residents, about 3x its current population.

HurricaneHugo Jan 21, 2021 8:54 AM

Got a picture of whatever is going up on 14th and Imperial while taking my sister to the Vaccine Super Station

https://i.imgur.com/4DGraD7.jpg?1

Nice infill!


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.