SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   Whataburger In Downtown San Antonnio...? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174024)

UTSABA06 Sep 29, 2009 2:20 AM

Whataburger In Downtown San Antonnio...?

Ok, so a funny thought popped into my head the other day as I was driving past Whataburger's Corportate Headquarters on 281 (the old Tesro HQ).

I thought since Whataburger is now headquartered in San Antonio they should really build/open a "signature" San Antonio restaurant in Downtown San Antonio...!

I know this may sound cheesy to some people, but I think it would be a great addition to downtown. Whataburger is no sleepy little fast food chain anymore; They operate nearly 700 locations in 10 states with sales of $1 billion annually. And it's all run from San Antonio (inside Loop 410!). Although I wish they would have rented downtown space, I think they should show their presence in the city with a one of a kind Whataburger Rest. in actual downtown. And if we can have a McDonald's in the middle of one of the most photographed areas of the city, then we can certainly have a Whataburger!:banana:

What do you all think? Good idea, bad idea? Any possible locations that would be good?

My Suggestions:

-Some where along Houston St. (not close to the Alamo)
-Some where along East Commerce

adtobias Sep 29, 2009 8:11 AM

Good idea. Near the court house

Lando Sep 29, 2009 8:16 AM

I was thinking somewhere along west Commerce would be nice. Maybe by Main Plaza.

BTW, I just had a number 1 combo from Whataburger about an hour ago. Love Whataburger.:banana:

miaht82 Sep 29, 2009 2:25 PM

I thought they could just set up at Vistana. There is still one drive-thru lane available. St. Mary's garage would be a good spot for a smaller set-up.

Back in the day, there used to be a 2 floor Burger King next to Woolworths, and a Pizza Hut at the corner of Crockett/Alamo.

The ATX Sep 29, 2009 2:35 PM

Whataburger is nasty. But a flagship downtown store would be great for those who like it.

Scottolini Sep 30, 2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hill Country (Post 4480200)
Whataburger is nasty. But a flagship downtown store would be great for those who like it.

This should be an immediate lifetime ban from posting.

Paul in S.A TX Sep 30, 2009 2:19 AM

I love Whataburger, I use to call it waterburger when I was a baby.

Keep-SA-Lame Sep 30, 2009 2:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX (Post 4481427)
I love Whataburger, I use to call it waterburger when I was a baby.

same :D

necropolis Sep 30, 2009 2:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame (Post 4481444)
same :D

Haha used to? I still do haha and I probably always will pronounce it waterburger :)

Complex01 Oct 9, 2009 1:07 AM

I have yet to hear a person call it WHAT a burger except for on a commercial. I still call it waterburger, he he...

:yes:

alexjon Oct 13, 2009 4:52 PM

I eat there, even though I don't eat meat.

It's an institution.

TXlifeguard Oct 15, 2009 9:22 PM

I refer to it as WAITaburger cause there's nothing fast about that food. Dig me some WB anyway.

All through college I used to make fun of peeps from Corpus who were way too proud of the dt Corpus 'flagship' WB. Like it was the city's only claim to fame.

Them: "Did you know it's TWO stories? AND they bring you your food!"
Me: "Get out of south texas more often. There's plenty of two-story fast food joints out there. And of course they bring you your food. They slow. All the damn whataburgers bring you your food. That's what those clever little number deals they give you are for."

But a dt store would be sweet. I could see them putting one in on the north side of DT by the library (by the Chase Bank and newish starbucks.) Seems to be where suburb type development seems to go in DT (their own build/new construction).

miaht82 Sep 30, 2011 4:13 PM

Whataburger planning to open downtown

It's going to be in the parking garage next to Schilo's where Dante's Pizza and Riverwalk Wine & Spirits currently sit.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...open-downtown/

Complex01 Sep 30, 2011 5:21 PM

:previous:

Woo Hoo. That is great news. It will do well there. About time there is one downtown too..

:tup:

kornbread Sep 30, 2011 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miaht82 (Post 5428777)
Whataburger planning to open downtown

It's going to be in the parking garage next to Schilo's where Dante's Pizza and Riverwalk Wine & Spirits currently sit.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...open-downtown/

Do you think they read this forum?

jaga185 Sep 30, 2011 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kornbread (Post 5428921)
Do you think they read this forum?

I know for a fact the guy who runs the Downtown Blog does.

FastFerrari82 Nov 16, 2011 1:19 PM

Signature location

Opt. 1) make it a small, only patio location in Market Square

Opt. 2) observation deck in ToA building-cart only though :rolleyes:

Opt. 3) 2 story 8500 sq ft, not including play place, in the parking lot of Pico de Gallo. Nice East views of downtown.