SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek Aug 21, 2009 4:08 PM

How about WE run for city council? :D

IconRPCV Aug 21, 2009 7:39 PM

Well if downtown is a no go then I think the Escondido site is a good fit. It has close freeway access and access to the sprinter.

I have heard and read that the county government has been quite vocal about the need to keep the Chargers in the local area for economic reasons.
I don't think the Chargers will the county, I hope and pray.

If the Chargers do leave town I think I am going to high tail it up to San Francisco.

BrandonJXN Aug 22, 2009 1:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeHundred (Post 4404979)
Pictures plz....

:previous:

Derek Aug 22, 2009 2:44 AM

There's an Escondido site now? Damn I am behind...

staplesla Aug 22, 2009 4:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4416951)
Link to the fault line?

I'm traveling for work right now and the fault information is on my pc at work. We've had to work around it in some of our planning sessions. But here is a link that discusses the fault and the CC expansion.

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/b...lans-unveiled/

Derek Aug 22, 2009 7:39 AM

Regardless if it's blocking the bay or not, I think the design is pretty cool. :)

Derek Aug 22, 2009 7:42 AM

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...&zIndex=149844

Quote:

•In Escondido, civic leaders and city officials, including the city manager and the mayor, have met to discuss building a stadium near state Route 78 and Interstate 15, so transportation to games would be easy. Escondido land-use attorney Dave Ferguson said the business leaders expect in the next 30 to 45 days to take a hard look at potential costs for buying and improving the land and building a stadium there and, if found to be feasible, ask the city to consider the idea officially.

Hopefully something happens with that. I like this idea.

Fusey Aug 22, 2009 5:20 PM

Me too. I think anything within SD County is perfect. The real question, though, is what the city is going to do with the Qualcomm site. I doubt SDSU will need that much space for their potential plans.

Derek Aug 23, 2009 6:22 AM

Shit Miramar would be perfect.

Oh wait, we should put an airport there. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if Miramar shut down operations, imagine it's possibilities.

HurricaneHugo Aug 23, 2009 6:29 AM

The Marines should give us a tiny sliver of that land to build a stadium. :D

Hell, they'll save money on gas for the flyovers!

dl3000 Aug 24, 2009 6:08 AM

No move the airport to Miramar, and THEN put the stadium on a piece of bayside land on Lindbergh Field. Now that would be awesome.

eburress Aug 24, 2009 7:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dl3000 (Post 4421360)
No move the airport to Miramar, and THEN put the stadium on a piece of bayside land on Lindbergh Field. Now that would be awesome.

NOW you're talking...that's a great idea! :)

Derek Aug 24, 2009 7:07 AM

That would be sweet...

:(

voice of reason Aug 25, 2009 12:30 AM

Airport

I had visitors fly in last week and it sure was nice to have a couple of minute trip to pick them up. My guest were full of compliments about how nice the airport is and were overwhelmed with the convenience and closeness to the downtown.
I sit on my balcony every evening and watch the planes fly in with exactly two minutes between them and I say 'thank you' to the city and port authority for the common sense in not moving it (not that there is anywhere to move it to).
As I drive by Miramar, I whisper 'God bless' to the brave Marines, who stand ready to protect our country from our enemies. I only hope that the country can continue to pay our servicemen and not have to resort to IOU's.

Maybe the new library will get built and give some of you posters a place to hang out during the day, I keep reading how much you all want it built.

San Diego isnt perfect. It approved the worthless light rail that cant pay its own way, due to poor ridership.

All in all, I love it here, also I enjoy reading this site and all of its well thought out comments.

dl3000 Aug 25, 2009 5:46 AM

Glad you like it.

In my opinion San Diego deserves more. It deserves a world class airport (being close to downtown doesn't give us international destinations that can feed the tourism industry, nor does its congestion and limited schedule assist local businesses with their travelers). On top of that, most of the biggest employers in the county are OUTSIDE downtown. The airport is one of the reasons downtown isn't that much of a CBD and it would free up some of the most prime real estate in the region.

It deserves a top of the line stadium to support a solid NFL team which continues to bring money to the region, especially with any Super Bowl hosting opportunities that come with that. I don't know about you, but I have noticed that LA has sort of adopted the Chargers as a regional team to follow, I could be wrong but if I'm right that's big money and we still keep the team. I seriously doubt they would ever do the Los Angeles Chargers of San Diego. My fingers hurt from typing that GOD FORBID that ever happens. Bottom line, SD needs to do its part to keep the team.

It deserves a cultural and learning center in a Main Library where citizens can utilize resources (internet, books, research) that they themselves cannot afford or find impractical to buy. Somewhere where anyone can share ideas without having to go to a university.

And it deserves more sustainable transportation alternatives to loaded freeways. No transit in America is fully self funded without subsidies and it is certainly not worthless. It is still a model Light Rail system I don't know what your problem with it is. Every time I ride it (Blue and Green lines) it is standing room only, and it is not during any special events.

And yes, God Bless the troops, but does it really hurt to give up or share a runway at Miramar? There is a vast desert, by my estimate the largest in the Americas, just 2-3 hours drive away and the military already owns lots of the land. There is a reason Miramar finds itself as a BRAC finalist all the time and was pretty much dropped in the mid 90s, it is not all that vital. San Diego's value to the DoD is the harbor. They have North Island for air, and an extensive shipyard, plus the vast Camp Pendleton up north so the Navy and Marines are set. San Diego has offered plenty to the cause as far as I'm concerned.

San Diego grows and matures as a city, there is nothing we can do about it except how we react to it. I just think it is about time its residents realize what this wonderful place needs to be a city that more fully serves its citizens and is admired for more than nice weather and good beaches.

OK i will step off the soap box. Sorry if it sounded too much like preaching. Just my two cents.

HurricaneHugo Aug 25, 2009 6:54 AM

I completely agree. :)

IconRPCV Aug 25, 2009 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voice of reason (Post 4422576)
I had visitors fly in last week and it sure was nice to have a couple of minute trip to pick them up. My guest were full of compliments about how nice the airport is and were overwhelmed with the convenience and closeness to the downtown.
I sit on my balcony every evening and watch the planes fly in with exactly two minutes between them and I say 'thank you' to the city and port authority for the common sense in not moving it (not that there is anywhere to move it to).
As I drive by Miramar, I whisper 'God bless' to the brave Marines, who stand ready to protect our country from our enemies. I only hope that the country can continue to pay our servicemen and not have to resort to IOU's.

Maybe the new library will get built and give some of you posters a place to hang out during the day, I keep reading how much you all want it built.

San Diego isnt perfect. It approved the worthless light rail that cant pay its own way, due to poor ridership.

All in all, I love it here, also I enjoy reading this site and all of its well thought out comments.

I never post smilies but I thought this post warrented a few. :crazy: :yuck: :koko: :(

Derek Aug 26, 2009 2:23 AM

People think flying into SAN is bad? It's nothing compared to MDW in Chicago. Holy shit.

But yeah, that post definitely deserves a WTF. :)

Derek Aug 26, 2009 2:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dl3000 (Post 4423112)
Glad you like it.

In my opinion San Diego deserves more. It deserves a world class airport (being close to downtown doesn't give us international destinations that can feed the tourism industry, nor does its congestion and limited schedule assist local businesses with their travelers). On top of that, most of the biggest employers in the county are OUTSIDE downtown. The airport is one of the reasons downtown isn't that much of a CBD and it would free up some of the most prime real estate in the region.

It deserves a top of the line stadium to support a solid NFL team which continues to bring money to the region, especially with any Super Bowl hosting opportunities that come with that. I don't know about you, but I have noticed that LA has sort of adopted the Chargers as a regional team to follow, I could be wrong but if I'm right that's big money and we still keep the team. I seriously doubt they would ever do the Los Angeles Chargers of San Diego. My fingers hurt from typing that GOD FORBID that ever happens. Bottom line, SD needs to do its part to keep the team.

It deserves a cultural and learning center in a Main Library where citizens can utilize resources (internet, books, research) that they themselves cannot afford or find impractical to buy. Somewhere where anyone can share ideas without having to go to a university.

And it deserves more sustainable transportation alternatives to loaded freeways. No transit in America is fully self funded without subsidies and it is certainly not worthless. It is still a model Light Rail system I don't know what your problem with it is. Every time I ride it (Blue and Green lines) it is standing room only, and it is not during any special events.

And yes, God Bless the troops, but does it really hurt to give up or share a runway at Miramar? There is a vast desert, by my estimate the largest in the Americas, just 2-3 hours drive away and the military already owns lots of the land. There is a reason Miramar finds itself as a BRAC finalist all the time and was pretty much dropped in the mid 90s, it is not all that vital. San Diego's value to the DoD is the harbor. They have North Island for air, and an extensive shipyard, plus the vast Camp Pendleton up north so the Navy and Marines are set. San Diego has offered plenty to the cause as far as I'm concerned.

San Diego grows and matures as a city, there is nothing we can do about it except how we react to it. I just think it is about time its residents realize what this wonderful place needs to be a city that more fully serves its citizens and is admired for more than nice weather and good beaches.

OK i will step off the soap box. Sorry if it sounded too much like preaching. Just my two cents.

Post of the year. :D

kpexpress Aug 26, 2009 6:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 4424540)
Post of the year. :D

Well said; I completely agree. My frustrations with the airport have resurfaced on a recent attempt to get to Columbus OHIO.