SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Saskatoon Civic Election, 2016 (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=222904)

W.W. La Chance Oct 21, 2016 6:33 PM

I actually view Moore as the strongest candidate, and see more substance in her platforms and speaking ability. Atch was never an option for me.

I think if Clark's ground game was as strong as his supporters are claiming, we would have already seen evidence of this in the polls. They aren't convincing on the doorstep.

Moore's campaign appears to be the most grassroots, making her ground game out to be fairly invisible, but they're clearly making moves.

Crisis Oct 22, 2016 2:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter12 (Post 7599445)
Well I just finished watching the mayor forum on CTV. I had many concerns with Kelly Moore and this forum confirmed my fears. She would NOT make a good mayor. She did not answer several of the questions and many of her answers were pure crap. I think Charlie Clark would be a good mayor but has a difficult time articulating his answers hence the reason he has fallen behind. All along I was considering Clark or Atch but I will be voting for Atch. He has done a good job and has the best chance of keeping Moore OUT.

If you don't want Atch the only viable option is Clark.

In watching last night's debate, that was the most notable takeaway for me. Clark was not nearly as well spoken as either Atch or Moore. That really surprised me, as I thought his many years on council would have made him a better public speaker. It was especially noticeable in his opening statement, which was unexpected given that he would have had plenty of time to prepare that scripted statement.

W.W. La Chance Oct 22, 2016 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisis (Post 7600577)
In watching last night's debate, that was the most notable takeaway for me. Clark was not nearly as well spoken as either Atch or Moore. That really surprised me, as I thought his many years on council would have made him a better public speaker. It was especially noticeable in his opening statement, which was unexpected given that he would have had plenty of time to prepare that scripted statement.

I think it's obvious he has a large machine behind him, and I truly think he would have done a better job had he stayed true to himself (or maybe that is true, he certainly likes to tout names) and ran a more personable campaign. His attempts at being a "regular guy" come off as cold and forced to me.

Prairiedawg Oct 24, 2016 3:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.W. La Chance (Post 7600134)
I actually view Moore as the strongest candidate, and see more substance in her platforms and speaking ability. Atch was never an option for me.

I think if Clark's ground game was as strong as his supporters are claiming, we would have already seen evidence of this in the polls. They aren't convincing on the doorstep.

Moore's campaign appears to be the most grassroots, making her ground game out to be fairly invisible, but they're clearly making moves.

Moore seems well spoken and more personable than the other two. I do wonder about her record with Provincial Social housing department and her work at Meewason plus also her inability to get facts correct, throwing out inaccurate figures about city finances. It may just be a scare tactic that will go by the wayside after the campaign but I would hate if she were to get into office and be inaccurate with all city hall business

Prairiedawg Oct 24, 2016 2:00 PM

Latest poll shows Atchison and Clark in almost a neck & neck heat, Moore has slipped slightly but latest poll also shows undecided vote could make any of the 3 the next city Mayor.

As far as city councillors go, the incumbents such as Anne Iwanchuk, Darren Hill, Zach Jefferies & Mairin Loewen would seem to have a solid reelection.

Pat Lorje incumbent who followed her reelection last civic race with a call for raising Councillor salaries even though Saskatoon pays $20,000 more than Regina Councillor's salary may have trouble getting reelected.
Pat Lorje has bungled city operations by breaching City Councillor's code of conduct after she leaked contents of a private document to a member of the public. She also has made unusual & bizarre comments in regards to Syrian refugees most recently.

http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/how-much...paid-1.1038778

http://globalnews.ca/news/1689964/sa...e-reprimanded/

http://ckom.com/article/1035905/sask...s-need-warning

EpicPonyTime Oct 24, 2016 8:48 PM

Even if we end up with four more years of Atch, I would consider it a victory for the city if Lorje is not re-elected. She is a relic from another era that has no place on city council if Saskatoon is to address what is fundamentally wrong with itself (transit, development, etc).

hunter12 Oct 26, 2016 4:04 AM

race for mayor
 
Well, tomorrow is the big day.

I have heard nothing but good things about Clark. Everybody who has worked with him or had dealings with him in the community have nothing but positive things to say. They all say he is a committed, hard worker.

I'd love to see Clark as mayor but I'm also okay with a win by Atch.

I just hope Atch and Clark don't split the vote and Moore comes up the middle and wins.

prairieguy Oct 26, 2016 3:38 PM

Just VOTE....it would be terrible if our leadership for the next four years is once again decided by only 30-40% of the electorate...when that percentage is then split between the candidates, it is truly a very small percentage of the population that our Mayor and/or councilors can say actually support them and their respective visions.

Crisis Oct 27, 2016 1:11 PM

Well I guess we know where the undecided voters went. Congrats to Charlie Clark. His campaign took a ton of potential voters from the Moore camp over the last week. Well done by him and his team. Maybe it was the last minute endorsement from Zach Galafianakis that did it.

Atch gave it a good run. Like him or not, you have to admit there has been a lot of development in Saskatoon while he's been in office. I hope to see it continue under Charlie Clark.

mitchellk12 Oct 27, 2016 1:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisis (Post 7604992)
Well I guess we know where the undecided voters went. Congrats to Charlie Clark. His campaign took a ton of potential voters from the Moore camp over the last week. Well done by him and his team. Maybe it was the last minute endorsement from Zach Galafianakis that did it.

Atch gave it a good run. Like him or not, you have to admit there has been a lot of development in Saskatoon while he's been in office. I hope to see it continue under Charlie Clark.

I agree with you Crisis, Congrats to Clark!

how is development going to change now that Clarks in the big chair? thoughts anyone?

jigglysquishy Oct 27, 2016 2:37 PM

Expect changes to take a few years to manifest but this is the best news Saskatoon s downtown has received in decades.

Echoes Oct 27, 2016 3:00 PM

I've never cast a ballot for Don Atchison, and I was a Clark supporter since day one of this campaign, but I have to say this:

Thank you Don Atchison for your decades of service.

It was never in doubt that Atch loves this city dearly. I think in his time as Mayor he has done a lot to generate and grow pride in this city where it wasn't necessarily there before. That counts for something.

He championed some noble (and controversial) things - affordable housing, new bridges, the Remai.

Best of luck to Mayor-elect Charlie Clark and all of City Council.

Echoes Oct 27, 2016 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echoes (Post 7577074)
The gloves came off from the Clark campaign yesterday with a very strong statement trashing Atch's leadership. This is exactly what Clark needed to get some forward momentum going again.

Anyone get the sense that Moore is becoming a less compelling voice in this campaign? I feel like her early gains in the polls may have been a bit artificial due to her novelty as a candidate. Some of her campaign's behavior on social media lately has been amateur to say the least. She may have peaked.

These upcoming mayoral forums/debates are going to be interesting. Atch does not do well with being challenged.

So as recently as a couple days ago I felt silly and way wrong for making this kind of statement way back on Sept. 28. Turns out I was sensing something long before the polls reflected it. Am I some kind of oracle?!


Quote:

Originally Posted by Echoes (Post 7599991)
^ I will fully admit how wrong I was about Moore at the top of this page, haha.

And I retract this retraction! :D

SaskScraper Oct 27, 2016 3:51 PM

Atchison had a good run and will have left a great legacy with South Circle bridge and the two other bridges under construction, Remai nearing completion, Riverlanding nearing preconstruction phase. City Centre project may be in jeopardy now. Almost all of the construction in center part of the city right now is on U of S campus which shouldn't be in trouble from city council decisions.

Prairiedawg Oct 27, 2016 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg (Post 7601950)
Latest poll shows Atchison and Clark in almost a neck & neck heat, Moore has slipped slightly but latest poll also shows undecided vote could make any of the 3 the next city Mayor.

As far as city councillors go, the incumbents such as Anne Iwanchuk, Darren Hill, Zach Jefferies & Mairin Loewen would seem to have a solid reelection.

Pat Lorje incumbent who followed her reelection last civic race with a call for raising Councillor salaries even though Saskatoon pays $20,000 more than Regina Councillor's salary may have trouble getting reelected.
Pat Lorje has bungled city operations by breaching City Councillor's code of conduct after she leaked contents of a private document to a member of the public. She also has made unusual & bizarre comments in regards to Syrian refugees most recently.

http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/how-much...paid-1.1038778

http://globalnews.ca/news/1689964/sa...e-reprimanded/

http://ckom.com/article/1035905/sask...s-need-warning

Likewise Echoes! I feel like I have had a finger on the pulse of the city with predicting which city councillor incumbents would get in and which one would not. ;)
I'm excited to see fresh new perspective with Clark at the helm with 6/10 city councillors women.

SkydivePilot Oct 28, 2016 9:13 PM

It's soooo nice to see Atch finally out of there. (He was an ass.)

hunter12 Oct 28, 2016 9:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkydivePilot (Post 7606491)
It's soooo nice to see Atch finally out of there. (He was an ass.)

You may not like him but he was 10x the mayor Dayday and Maddin were. At least he made decisions. He finally got the south bridge built and the Gathercole building dealt with as examples.

macca Oct 28, 2016 9:58 PM

Yes let's not let casual racism and homophobia get in the way of recognizing the car-centric infrastructure and building demolitions he advocated for.

Crisis Oct 29, 2016 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macca (Post 7606526)
Yes let's not let casual racism and homophobia get in the way of recognizing the car-centric infrastructure and building demolitions he advocated for.

Yeah, isn't it great when a politician gives the people what they want.

Oh, unless the people don't share your point of view. Then they're all uneducated troglodytes and have no right to determine how they are governed.

Echoes Oct 29, 2016 6:44 AM

^ I'd like to acknowledge that I'm a member of the LGBT community. And I'd like to acknowledge that Atchison's complete ignorance of my community made me feel like a lesser person in this town. It seems minor, but it has an amplified effect. I'm an educated, talented person, but I've often wondered if I'd be better off in a place where I don't have to put up with such bullshit, despite my undying love for this town. He never made me feel like I was fully welcome to participate.

So you say that he was giving the people what they wanted. Well, that does not excuse the fact that propagating racism and homophobia is deplorable. But, in spite of a completely unfriendly Mayor, I have been embraced by this fine prairie town by good-hearted, loving prairie people. It's too bad that Mr. Atchison couldn't have been a part of that.

But I guess he was giving the uneducated troglodytes what they wanted.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.