SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=198935)

Stryker Apr 4, 2015 6:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6967078)
They just need better styles. That generic mainstream look Isn't enough for a lot of people anymore when they can get things with some real design online.

Agreed it was always a shit business model.

People gravitate to a neighborhood feel.

I think the blend is increasingly gonna be a blend of service and retail.

Circulations of demo models (tech items) at coffee shops.

The showing of fashion at music bars.

Some sort of blend.

PoscStudent Apr 4, 2015 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6977285)
RIP Target

Today is the last day to shop at Target. It closes forever today. Sad.
Guess its back to skanky old Walmart.

I'm so sad Target didn't work out. It seems like those who gave the store a chance loved it. Those who went there in the beginning and saw nothing but bare shelves gave up on it. Although one of the reasons I think I - and many others - enjoyed Target was because there was never anyone there. It made for a great shopping experience.

Now it's back to the Wal-Mart People. :(

J_Murphy Apr 6, 2015 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 6977510)
I'm so sad Target didn't work out. It seems like those who gave the store a chance loved it. Those who went there in the beginning and saw nothing but bare shelves gave up on it. Although one of the reasons I think I - and many others - enjoyed Target was because there was never anyone there. It made for a great shopping experience.

Now it's back to the Wal-Mart People. :(

I totally agree with you. I enjoyed going to Target. Still no Wal-Mart for this guy though, I think we can survive without going to Wal-Mart.

I wonder what will take over the empty Target stores??:shrug:

Arrakis Apr 6, 2015 12:45 PM

Hard to know what will happen to the Target Space. They probably still hold the lease on the building unless the leaser buys it back. The space is huge so unless another big retailer takes it over like Lowes, Home Depot or Hudson's Bay (i wish), I would say it will likely be chopped up into smaller retail spaces. But really who knows. Futureshop is another big empty space now too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 6978772)
I totally agree with you. I enjoyed going to Target. Still no Wal-Mart for this guy though, I think we can survive without going to Wal-Mart.

I wonder what will take over the empty Target stores??:shrug:


Arrakis Apr 7, 2015 1:23 PM

I know its probably wishful thinking, but now that Target is gone, wouldn't it be nice if the Hudson's Bay Company came to Newfoundland. I think Newfoundland and PEI are the only two provinces without a Hudson's Bay Store. They seem to be profit healthy these days with the purchase of SAKS Fifth Ave.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hudsons-...les-1428410642

PoscStudent Apr 7, 2015 2:55 PM

I'd love that.

michael_d40 Apr 7, 2015 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6980324)
I know its probably wishful thinking, but now that Target is gone, wouldn't it be nice if the Hudson's Bay Company came to Newfoundland. I think Newfoundland and PEI are the only two provinces without a Hudson's Bay Store. They seem to be profit healthy these days with the purchase of SAKS Fifth Ave.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hudsons-...les-1428410642

None in New Brunswick either. Wish their was one though.

josh_cat_eyes Apr 8, 2015 4:23 AM

I don't know if it has ever been mentioned here, but Kelsey's is seeking a franchisee for St. John's.
http://www.carafranchising.com/kelseys/home.html

J_Murphy Apr 8, 2015 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes (Post 6981662)
I don't know if it has ever been mentioned here, but Kelsey's is seeking a franchisee for St. John's.
http://www.carafranchising.com/kelseys/home.html

Been hearing this for years now. Montana's on Stavanger was first rumoured to be a Kelsey's. Never been to one but I can't imagine it is much different than a Montana's or a Boston Pizza type chain restaurant, just a different theme and d├ęcor.

wmemeadusjr Apr 8, 2015 4:45 PM

I was told by a waitress at the Keg back in February that the Keg itself will be moving into the recently vacated Legros & Motti next door after a few months of renovation/retrofitting and that Kelsey's would then be moving into the Keg's current location. Montana's on Stavanger Drive was shown on the Plaza Corp directory for month's as a Kelsey's back at the time that area was under development. However, it was changed to a Montana's in the eleventh hour.

J_Murphy Apr 8, 2015 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 6982237)
I was told by a waitress at the Keg back in February that the Keg itself will be moving into the recently vacated Legros & Motti next door after a few months of renovation/retrofitting and that Kelsey's would then be moving into the Keg's current location. Montana's on Stavanger Drive was shown on the Plaza Corp directory for month's as a Kelsey's back at the time that area was under development. However, it was changed to a Montana's in the eleventh hour.

I hope it doesn't. Is Kelsey's really that much different than Jack Astor's or the new Boston Pizza. We will then have four national chain restaurants all very close to one another in prime downtown real estate. I Would much prefer see something local pop up there, or maybe a new micro brewery.

Arrakis Apr 8, 2015 5:45 PM

Well going local proved to be the wrong move with Legros & Motti so I would say they will likely go with something along the lines of Kelsey's. Only makes sense really. People like what they are familiar with. Kelsey's, whether you like it or not will prob be very successful there if the Keg moves into Legros space and Kelseys into the Kegs space.


Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 6982266)
I hope it doesn't. Is Kelsey's really that much different than Jack Astor's or the new Boston Pizza. We will then have four national chain restaurants all very close to one another in prime downtown real estate. I Would much prefer see something local pop up there, or maybe a new micro brewery.


wmemeadusjr Apr 8, 2015 6:00 PM

Heard a rumor at Goodlife the other day that they will move the Torbay Road location into the former Target location on Stavanger Drive. (And also become the third 24 hour Goodlife in the Metro area) Of course, they will only need a portion of that space and sublet the rest to another retailer/business or divide the space even further for multiple retailers or businesses. I use the word sublet, as the rumor was that Goodlife plans to lease or buy the entire building.

wmemeadusjr Apr 8, 2015 6:05 PM

As for the former Future Shop location on Stavanger Drive, I think it would be the perfect location for a Shoppers Drug Mart. (Even though I'm not a big fan of Shoppers myself) The location is very high profile and it's parent company, Loblaws is just across the street. The footprint of that space is very similar to that of the newer Shoppers locations.

J_Murphy Apr 8, 2015 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6982363)
Well going local proved to be the wrong move with Legros & Motti so I would say they will likely go with something along the lines of Kelsey's. Only makes sense really. People like what they are familiar with. Kelsey's, whether you like it or not will prob be very successful there if the Keg moves into Legros space and Kelseys into the Kegs space.

I think they went too big too fast and under performed in terms of the quality of their product and the service. They set a high expectation with a big expensive restaurant and quickly got a bad reputation which was their downfall. Because one person failed at it doesn't mean another will, if done correctly. I would however rather see it occupied by someone than sit unoccupied for a long period of time. I personally think the restaurant market has become too saturated, but I do wish anyone who tries to operate in this City success and prove me wrong.

Marty_Mcfly Apr 9, 2015 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 6982266)
I hope it doesn't. Is Kelsey's really that much different than Jack Astor's or the new Boston Pizza. We will then have four national chain restaurants all very close to one another in prime downtown real estate. I Would much prefer see something local pop up there, or maybe a new micro brewery.

I could get behind this.

Or if no one wanted to take the reigns on a new local brewery, I noticed Gahan Brewery (Charlottetown PEI) expanded their brewpub to Halifax. I'd welcome a location here; EXCELLENT beer :cheers:

the_nomad Apr 16, 2015 6:50 PM

Looks like there is a new building going up in the parking lot of the Village Mall. Any word on what's going in there?

Arrakis Apr 16, 2015 7:31 PM

What part of the parking lot? On Front or back? I drove by there yesterday and didn't really notice anything.



Quote:

Originally Posted by the_nomad (Post 6993087)
Looks like there is a new building going up in the parking lot of the Village Mall. Any word on what's going in there?


Arrakis Apr 16, 2015 7:34 PM

I heard that the Telegram offices are moving out too soon and locating at Austin Street which will leave a fairly large rental space for someone.

the_nomad Apr 16, 2015 7:46 PM

Down in the front, near the gas station. All fenced off and there is a backhoe/excavator there today.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.