SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=198935)

statbass May 6, 2012 4:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 5691812)
People have been wondering this for a while. Moxies ads have been on NTV for a while now, but I think it was passed off as Global-sold advertising that NTV has to air. However, if Moxies is now sponsoring shows on NTV that could be signs of a potential new restaurant. I know the old rumors about them opening on Stavanger proved to be false, as Montana's is now currently in that location.

A couple of weeks back I posted a link to the Field Power Centre (the one where Empire Theatres is setting up shop). One of the attachments contained a restaurant pad site with 5 lots. According to the PDF there are only 2 sites left for sale. Chains such as Moxie's typically set up in retail centres, and we definitely know it won't be another Montana's or Boston Pizza. With Empire Theatres anchoring this development, it'd be interesting to see what will go there. I've attached the PDF again for quick reference:

http://www.comproperty.ca/powercentr...rant-Sites.pdf

techie May 6, 2012 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5691823)
A couple of weeks back I posted a link to the Field Power Centre (the one where Empire Theatres is setting up shop). One of the attachments contained a restaurant pad site with 5 lots. According to the PDF there are only 2 sites left for sale. Chains such as Moxie's typically set up in retail centres, and we definitely know it won't be another Montana's or Boston Pizza. With Empire Theatres anchoring this development, it'd be interesting to see what will go there. I've attached the PDF again for quick reference:

http://www.comproperty.ca/powercentr...rant-Sites.pdf

What is a "pad site"? A graded lot that the restaurant can lease and build on?

statbass May 6, 2012 9:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techie (Post 5691958)
What is a "pad site"? A graded lot that the restaurant can lease and build on?

To be honest, I'm not sure what a pad site is either, just quoting what was on the PDF document. If I were to guess, I'd say it's an area dedicated for restaurant development only.

Architype May 6, 2012 9:55 PM

"A pad site is a freestanding parcel of commercial real estate located in the front of a larger shopping center or strip mall. Desirable because of their visibility to consumers. . ."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pad_site

Arrakis May 6, 2012 9:57 PM

Well let's see. There is already a McDonald's (two if you count the one in Walmart), Burger King, A&W, KFC, Subway, Montana's, Boston Pizza, Pizza Delight, Swiss Chalet, Starbucks and Second Cup already set up in the east end. Hopefully it will be something new over at the Field Power Centre when that area opens up. I am kinda hoping for a Harvey's or Arby's. A Jack Astor's would be nice too. Time will tell I suppose.

Marty_Mcfly May 7, 2012 1:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5692026)
Well let's see. There is already a McDonald's (two if you count the one in Walmart), Burger King, A&W, KFC, Subway, Montana's, Boston Pizza, Pizza Delight, Swiss Chalet, Starbucks and Second Cup already set up in the east end. Hopefully it will be something new over at the Field Power Centre when that area opens up. I am kinda hoping for a Harvey's or Arby's. A Jack Astor's would be nice too. Time will tell I suppose.

It would be nice to see Arby's make its way back to the city. I'm not a huge fan of Harvey's, but I only had it once while I was in Charlottetown last year. Love to see Taco Bell set up shop somewhere ... :tup:

I also saw an ad for Moxies on CBC this evening, so there's a possibility that there could be a location opening in the near future.

Arrakis May 14, 2012 3:36 PM

Was just out for a lunchtime stroll on Water Street and noticed that the old Melendy's building on the corner of Adelaide and Water Street is being totally gutted and renovated and in the window is sitting an illustration of a "Second Cup" coffee shop designed for that location. Anyone know of a confirmation of this?

statbass May 14, 2012 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5700369)
Was just out for a lunchtime stroll on Water Street and noticed that the old Melendy's building on the corner of Adelaide and Water Street is being totally gutted and renovated and in the window is sitting an illustration of a "Second Cup" coffee shop designed for that location. Anyone know of a confirmation of this?

I haven't heard anything about a new Second Cup opening. It'd be great to get another one though seeing there's currently only two in the city. I think Second Cup would do well downtown.

PoscStudent May 21, 2012 6:15 PM

As thought Swiss Chalet will not reopen their Kenmount Road location.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...0.html?cmp=rss

rthomasd May 21, 2012 10:38 PM

I hope they're planning to occupy a site as large as the Kenmount Rd location. The one on Stavanger is considerably smaller than the Kenmount Rd site, if that's the typical size. The Kenmount Rd. site was always busy and had a couple of large "group" areas that were popular.

statbass May 25, 2012 8:28 PM

I was checking out the new Roots store today and noticed the vacant spot between Globo and Roots had "The Children's Place" sign in the window. It's a children's clothing store - that's pretty obvious from the name :)

http://thechildrensplace.ca/

J_Murphy May 29, 2012 11:09 AM

Target
 
Here is an update on Target in the city via the Telegram. Looks like they will try to be open before Christmas of next year.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...-winter-2013/1

statbass May 29, 2012 11:15 PM

Has there been any updates for PF Chang's? The land next to the Keg has been cleared for quite some time now but still no movement.

IronMan May 30, 2012 5:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5716618)
Has there been any updates for PF Chang's? The land next to the Keg has been cleared for quite some time now but still no movement.

I thought there were two restaurants going on this site, and that one of them is a Red Lobster. Not sure if it is true though.

Marty_Mcfly May 30, 2012 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 5717625)
I thought there were two restaurants going on this site, and that one of them is a Red Lobster. Not sure if it is true though.

Indeed, there are two restaurants going on that site. One is supposedly a PF Chang, as they're opening up a bunch of Canadian locations, and the other was supposed to be a locally owned restaurant. However, I haven't heard anything on the progress of that development

A325 May 30, 2012 6:25 PM

There is one only restaurant going there now and it is not PF Changs anymore. I don't think it has been anounced publicly yet though. The building is still in the design phase. Construction maybe late fall or early next spring.

statbass May 31, 2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A325 (Post 5717723)
There is one only restaurant going there now and it is not PF Changs anymore. I don't think it has been anounced publicly yet though. The building is still in the design phase. Construction maybe late fall or early next spring.

Hmm interesting... so it seems that PF Changs has pulled out setting up shop. Is there any confirmation on this? If so, not a huge deal in my eyes, I'd much rather see local restaurants - it's better for the local economy. One thing I like about St. John's (especially downtown) is its high number of locally owned shops and restaurants.

tch1005 May 31, 2012 8:58 PM

Village Parking Lot
 
The building in the village parking lot now has a newly installed DT window... Starbucks or 2nd up?

J_Murphy May 31, 2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tch1005 (Post 5719144)
The building in the village parking lot now has a newly installed DT window... Starbucks or 2nd up?

Hopefully it is one of those two. That area of town really needs another coffee shop.

IronMan Jun 1, 2012 1:32 AM

I heard it is a Wendy's Restaurant.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.