SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=126473)

sandiego_urban Mar 14, 2009 5:21 PM

Great news about the Courthouse!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 4137520)
Maybe they can put a few hot dog stands on the sidewalk. Probably some taco trucks on the curb. And how about a dippin dots kiosk too? That'll bring 'em in!:D

No kidding about the taco trucks! The best I've found is Marisco's German on University Ave. in City Heights. 99 cent fish tacos everyday! Shrimp tacos are just as delicious :D

Derek Mar 15, 2009 6:30 AM

I met DeMaio. What a tool.

kpexpress Mar 15, 2009 11:29 PM

can someone point me in the right direction? I am looking for some historical information on the issue of moving Lindbergh Field out of Downtown. Any voting issues, proposals, comments by affluent people (law makers, planners, architects, etc) about keeping it there or moving it out? I am putting together a paper for school and need some data, ideally the paper will eventually and hopefully make it to the desk of someone in charge. Please help.

PadreHomer Mar 16, 2009 3:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 4141018)
I met DeMaio. What a tool.

He's like a different kind of Donna Frye, horray San Diego.

Its very easy to badmouth the investments that they city has made that boost jobs, property values and redevelopment, but the elephant in the room are the pensions that our union-owned council have put us in hock for.

HurricaneHugo Mar 17, 2009 5:56 AM

wtf

I just found out about the 422 overlay of the 760...

sounds stupid...i think it would have better to have north county have its own area code instead of an overlay they share with like the entire southeast of the state...

staplesla Mar 17, 2009 5:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4144400)
wtf

I just found out about the 422 overlay of the 760...

sounds stupid...i think it would have better to have north county have its own area code instead of an overlay they share with like the entire southeast of the state...

The plan was changed over a year ago when residents and businesses complained to the PUC. Imagine being a business owner and having to change your phone number on everything (letterhead, signs, etc). FYI - 10 digit dialing will become mandatory in the coming years.

HurricaneHugo Mar 18, 2009 10:17 PM

I just wonder how the rest of the 760 thinks about the overlay lol.

HurricaneHugo Mar 19, 2009 1:41 AM

Writing an essay for my urban design class and need a little input...

"What has prevented the development of compact, sustainable cities from 1945 to today? What are the most important steps, in your opinion, in addressing these issues in the future, and what lessons does history provide?"

Seems easy but I need 10 pages from this... :(

kpexpress Mar 19, 2009 4:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4147856)
Writing an essay for my urban design class and need a little input...

"What has prevented the development of compact, sustainable cities from 1945 to today? What are the most important steps, in your opinion, in addressing these issues in the future, and what lessons does history provide?"

Seems easy but I need 10 pages from this... :(

The answer is always Communism.

voice of reason Mar 19, 2009 5:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4147856)
Writing an essay for my urban design class and need a little input...

"What has prevented the development of compact, sustainable cities from 1945 to today? What are the most important steps, in your opinion, in addressing these issues in the future, and what lessons does history provide?"

Seems easy but I need 10 pages from this... :(

The flip answer is that the think tanks, professors and social engineers rarely are accurate in prognosticating future trends.

The correct answer is that the consumer didnt want compact living at that time in our history. The GI's returning from the war were offered VA home loans and the development of the freeway system encouraged developers to build massive suburbs on cheap available land that surrounded most cities.

HurricaneHugo Mar 19, 2009 7:46 AM

thanks :)

also, what building is going up on the east side of broadway?

its roughly broadway and 14th st or something, northside of broadway, to the east of the police station

kpexpress Mar 19, 2009 9:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4148443)
thanks :)

also, what building is going up on the east side of broadway?

its roughly broadway and 14th st or something, northside of broadway, to the east of the police station

Parking structure for City College I believe

kpexpress Mar 19, 2009 9:28 AM

Hey I was reading a bit on the history of Miramar and came across something that made my jaw hit the laptop and I thought, "WTF!"

Here it is:

"On May 1, 1946, the Navy departed Camp Kearny and the station became MCAS Miramar. After only a year, the Marines closed the base and moved all units to El Toro. On June 30, 1947, the Navy redesignated Miramar an NAAS. In July 1949, the Navy began a project to improve the runways and establish a Master Jet Base. The station upgraded to an NAS on April 1, 1952. Following the Korean War, the Navy faced a cutback and offered Miramar to the City of San Diego in 1954 for $1. In what will go down in San Diego's history as the most idiotic decision ever made by the City's leaders, the offer was turned down! In the Author's opinion, San Diego's Lindbergh Airport remains today one of the worst commercial airports in the United States -- obstructions, no CAT II or CAT III approaches, noise problems, and a relatively short runway with no over runs. Miramar would have made a wonderful international airport for San Diego!"

Are you kidding me?

http://www.militarymuseum.org/MCASMiramar.html

eburress Mar 19, 2009 3:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4148486)
Hey I was reading a bit on the history of Miramar and came across something that made my jaw hit the laptop and I thought, "WTF!"

Here it is:

"On May 1, 1946, the Navy departed Camp Kearny and the station became MCAS Miramar. After only a year, the Marines closed the base and moved all units to El Toro. On June 30, 1947, the Navy redesignated Miramar an NAAS. In July 1949, the Navy began a project to improve the runways and establish a Master Jet Base. The station upgraded to an NAS on April 1, 1952. Following the Korean War, the Navy faced a cutback and offered Miramar to the City of San Diego in 1954 for $1. In what will go down in San Diego's history as the most idiotic decision ever made by the City's leaders, the offer was turned down! In the Author's opinion, San Diego's Lindbergh Airport remains today one of the worst commercial airports in the United States -- obstructions, no CAT II or CAT III approaches, noise problems, and a relatively short runway with no over runs. Miramar would have made a wonderful international airport for San Diego!"

Are you kidding me?

http://www.militarymuseum.org/MCASMiramar.html


Well isn't that a real kick in the nuts. For all its weather and scenery, sometimes I really hate living in San Diego.

kpexpress Mar 20, 2009 2:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 4148827)
Well isn't that a real kick in the nuts. For all its weather and scenery, sometimes I really hate living in San Diego.

RIGHT??!!!O-o

HurricaneHugo Mar 20, 2009 3:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4148485)
Parking structure for City College I believe

How anti-climatic.

bmfarley Mar 20, 2009 4:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4147856)
Writing an essay for my urban design class and need a little input...

"What has prevented the development of compact, sustainable cities from 1945 to today? What are the most important steps, in your opinion, in addressing these issues in the future, and what lessons does history provide?"

Seems easy but I need 10 pages from this... :(

1) Almost unlimited supply of cheap land and building materials

2) Cheap energy

3) Heavily subsidized highways and roadways

4) A growing, but insufficient knowledge and interest over environmetal impacts (air & water quality)

bmfarley Mar 20, 2009 4:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackertastik (Post 4138162)
Are there ANY courthouses with ground level retail? Seriously? It will have open space for leisure. But I can't remember the last courthouse I went to that had a Subway sandwhich and a Gucci store on the ground level.

By the way, career change! Hilton is leaving California so im ditching developing hotels, for some good ol fashioned education. I got accepted to USC Graduate School! Dual Program for public policy and urban planning. Maybe San Diego will back to booming by the time i graduate! :)

The Expo Line is a light-rail line that will run by USC; however, will not open 'til late 2010.

bmfarley Mar 20, 2009 4:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4138556)
I think that the federal courthouse tower will bring some serious energy to 1st ave/F street area retail and C street. I would hate it if the courthouse had retail, what a horrible idea.

Some people call it mixed use.

bmfarley Mar 20, 2009 4:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4139488)
I'm thinking of minoring in Urban Studies and Planning to compliment my Structural Engineering degree. :D

How's the job market for urban planners?

What type of structures interest you in structural engineering? A planning degree would compliment that degree if you had some interest in roadway or bridge design... I can see working for a local jurisdiction and vetting options with the public. Caltrans? Other than that... I don't see much relationship.... as structural engineering is more fine grain relative to the design process and what urban planners do... which could be private sector urban design, development review, or future planning (after a bit of experience). Of all the emphasis possible in planning, which is sort of a 'jack-of-all-trades and master of none profession... transportation planning is the slosest that woudl utilize your engineering degree. A lot of transportation planners, or people who try to act like planners, have traffic engineering background.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.