SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Dining (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146619)

Greco Roman Feb 26, 2008 10:31 PM

Winnipeg Dining

For discussions about restaurants and such in Winnipeg.

Donovanf Feb 26, 2008 10:33 PM

Going to Cafe Dario this friday, anyone been?

The best place I have been to in a while is 7 1/4 at 725 South Osborne. I recommend highly.

Greco Roman Feb 26, 2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donovanf (Post 3380184)
Going to Cafe Dario this friday, anyone been?

The best place I have been to in a while is 7 1/4 at 725 South Osborne. I recommend highly.

Is this a new establishment? I've never heard of it before; but then again, I've been in Edmonton for awhile now.

Greco Roman Feb 26, 2008 10:38 PM

So what is going on with Yuki Sushi? Has it been a success?

rgalston Feb 27, 2008 12:18 AM

Yes, let's hear about more Winnipeg restaurants on SSP than Yuki Sushi!

But I must say, they seem to be doing well. I was there today, as it happens, and a friend who works there says they were busy all day.

For other new dining excusions on North Main, I suggest The Tallest Poppy at Main and Logan.

The Jabroni Feb 27, 2008 1:31 AM

Has anyone been to the Princess Grill?

Awesome breakfast and great place to get some fries and burgers. Cheap as hell too. :)

BigG Feb 27, 2008 2:13 AM

Who's tried Silver Heights Restaurant? I tell you, they never disappoint. Their ribs are excellent and their prime rib is the best. A must for meat lovers. Try the steak too. BTW, they accept Canadian Tire money at par, even at the lounge.

CCF Feb 27, 2008 2:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigG (Post 3380717)
BTW, they accept Canadian Tire money at par, even at the lounge.

Wow...that's bizarre...but oddly fascinating.

flatlander Feb 27, 2008 2:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgalston (Post 3380465)
Yes, let's hear about more Winnipeg restaurants on SSP than Yuki Sushi!

But I must say, they seem to be doing well. I was there today, as it happens, and a friend who works there says they were busy all day.

For other new dining excusions on North Main, I suggest The Tallest Poppy at Main and Logan.

Haven't been to Tallest Poppy yet - do you know who is running it? I understand its a woman who ran a restaurant previous to this?

Love Princess Grill for good basic eats.

Was at Inferno's today for lunch - yum. Good lunch specials. Yesterday Kum Koon for dim sum. I am getting fat.

Greco Roman Feb 27, 2008 3:27 AM

Quote:

Who's tried Silver Heights Restaurant? I tell you, they never disappoint. Their ribs are excellent and their prime rib is the best. A must for meat lovers. Try the steak too. BTW, they accept Canadian Tire money at par, even at the lounge.

Bullshit!!!!!

Are you serious? If so, then I could eat for free there for a week :D !

Donovanf Feb 27, 2008 4:20 AM

Quote:

Went there recently and it was shite, food was cold, complained then they sent us more cold food. Never going back and no one should go there.

nordique Feb 27, 2008 4:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 3380786)
Haven't been to Tallest Poppy yet - do you know who is running it? I understand its a woman who ran a restaurant previous to this?

its run by a lady named talia I believe. i probably won't be going back there anytime soon -- i had a good experience and all, but i nearly shat my pants when breakfast/brunch for me and my girlfriend came up to $40.

rgalston Feb 27, 2008 2:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 3380786)

Love Princess Grill for good basic eats.

It's a couple of ladies who live in Point Douglas. I don't know what their previous restaurant experience is, but they make exceptional food. Like Nordique said, they don't have Burger King prices (lunch would set you back $9-$11), but worth it, I'd say.

Princess Grill is good, but their fat-boys don't hold a candle to the king of all fat-boys: VJ's Drive-In on South Main.

h0twired Feb 27, 2008 2:51 PM

Mrs. Mikes King Burger > VJ's Fatboy

wags_in_the_peg Feb 27, 2008 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgalston (Post 3381439)
Princess Grill is good, but their fat-boys don't hold a candle to the king of all fat-boys: VJ's Drive-In on South Main.

Are you NUTS... best FAT BOY around is Dairy Whip on Marion...no questions asked.

fengshui Feb 27, 2008 5:33 PM

^^ Agreed. Before I went veggie, that was the place. Fat boy and fries, side order of heart bypass surgery.

wags_in_the_peg Feb 27, 2008 5:34 PM

Quote:

They catered our christmas lunch at work for 5 yrs (40 people) and it was OK, but never outstanding.

We now use Gasthaus Guttenburg...amazing german restaurant on Portage (just near Silver Heights). They also have a lunch buffet on thur and fri, runs $11 or so. it's amazing...schnitzel, sausage, kraut, goulash, perogies, 3 kinds of gravy, etc etc etc. tons of deserts like strudel, dainties and whip cream on the side of course. oh yeah they also have 3 kinds of gravy and there's pieces of bacon in the bread. ahhhhhhhhhhh, cant wait to go again. its so hard to work after that.

hexrae Feb 27, 2008 6:27 PM

Garwood Grill serves up large portions at great prices. I mainly go for the burgers though, so I can't comment on the rest of the menu.

If I'm in the mood for Samosa's, India Palace on Ellice is the place to go.

Greco Roman Feb 27, 2008 6:37 PM

Alicia's is probably the best for Ukrainian food in Winnipeg, if you aren't so lucky as to have you very own persoal baba (grandmother) that makes food no restaurant could ever compete with.

Fortunately, I'm not in that boat! :P

tygunn Feb 27, 2008 9:02 PM

Pasquale's on Marion is a great Italian restaurant.
Sweet Palace on Pembina has great East Indian. They have a nice small lunch and supper buffer too.
Bellisimo on Waverley is another great spot for Italian.
I was also thoroughly impressed by Confusion Corner Bar and Grill. The ribs were excellent. I've heard the rooftop patio is not the best though.