SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Projects & Construction Updates (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   West Village Towers (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211013)

Spring2008 Apr 25, 2014 4:26 PM

West Village Towers

With Poll

Spring2008 Apr 25, 2014 4:32 PM

List it all the way, get rid of this guy. JJ, voted love it, for this part of town.:cheers:

TallBob Apr 25, 2014 5:59 PM

I voted "love it".... Very nice proposal!! Looks like the old FCII proposal.

WhipperSnapper Apr 25, 2014 6:23 PM

Oh crap. Not surprised though.

Calgary loses 3 Eau Claire but picks up a set of triplets in return. Typical of the junk being proposed in Mississauga and Vaughan home to the suburbanites that can't tell a Shuttleworth from a well ... Yahya Jan. The types that may gauge a building by being a box or not a box.

I guess NYCC aplies too with Emerald Park Condos.

Fuzz Apr 25, 2014 6:40 PM

Not a fan of the sidewalk interaction on 9th. Big concrete wall blocking sunlight. Other than that, it looks great.

Pavlov Apr 25, 2014 6:44 PM

Not a fan. For some reason, I predict that this ends up as Nuera 2.0. That is not good.

milomilo Apr 25, 2014 6:58 PM

I like it. The design really isn't anything earth shattering, but there's nothing wrong with that - not every building can or should be the centre of attention. Hopefully this is a sign of more to come on that side of town.

It's pretty much a guarantee that the roof won't look like that though. It wouldn't surprise me if it gets lopped off either.

Spring2008 Apr 25, 2014 7:22 PM

Keep in mind site context, off of a large one way, 1 block from the train tracks, in area that until recently with the west Beltline resurgence has been a dead zone. Interesting project. Wouldn't be too awed if this was proposed for the middle of Beltline, EV, or Eau-Claire, for where it's going, this is fantastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper (Post 6553574)
Oh crap. Not surprised though.

Calgary loses 3 Eau Claire but picks up a set of triplets in return. Typical of the junk being proposed in Mississauga and Vaughan home to the suburbanites that can't tell a Shuttleworth from a well ... Yahya Jan. The types that may gauge a building by being a box or not a box.

I guess NYCC aplies too with Emerald Park Condos.

bigcanuck Apr 25, 2014 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzz (Post 6553601)
Not a fan of the sidewalk interaction on 9th. Big concrete wall blocking sunlight. Other than that, it looks great.

Except the sun doesn't shine from the North...

Surrealplaces Apr 25, 2014 7:28 PM

I like them for the most part. I would like it much more if one tower that was a bit taller.

H.E.Pennypacker Apr 25, 2014 7:31 PM

I am interested to see how that podium turns out at the street level along 9th

Bigtime Apr 25, 2014 7:49 PM

Well if the average Joe's that follow me on twitter are any indication most people love it.

kw5150 Apr 25, 2014 7:49 PM

Like it but HATE triplets and tend to dislike buildings with slanted tops. Slanted tops = maintenance nightmare.

Fuzz Apr 25, 2014 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigcanuck (Post 6553652)
Except the sun doesn't shine from the North...

Hey now! Keep your fancy Friday logic out of this! I think its beer o'clock.

H.E.Pennypacker Apr 25, 2014 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzz (Post 6553778)
Hey now! Keep your fancy Friday logic out of this! I think its beer o'clock.

:cheers: Amen

TallBob Apr 25, 2014 9:26 PM

I think 3 of the same is a little over-kill. However, like Surreal said and I agree with, is lose the shorter building and add some height/floors to the other two buildings.... more for the taller of the remaining two. You'd end up with the same rentable space without making a bigger footprint. Maybe 170 & 140 meters for both! IMO.

RyLucky Apr 25, 2014 10:20 PM

When you are drinking your beer-o-clock brew, consider this:

Does the sun shine from the North or not?
On the summer solstice, for example, the sun rises in the NE 51° from due north and sets in the NW 51° from due north in the other direction (or 309° continuing clockwise from azimuth/due north). "Well, that's just the summer solstice," you say. Actually, the sun rises and sets slightly to the north in Calgary every day between March 18th or so and September 21st or so. In other words, if you were standing to the south of a tall wall on June 21st in Calgary, the sun might not rise until 10-11AM and would set around 5-6PM depending on the height of the wall, distance to the wall, etc. That excludes some pretty prime patio/outdoor hours in a city where the average 6PM summer temperature in June is <15°C, and would also have a significant effect on plants and the type of light plants get.

Just saying. Enjoy your beer!

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...&afl=-12&day=1

RyLucky Apr 25, 2014 10:29 PM

:cheers:As for the towers, I voted "like it". Fantastic for the location, but my critiques are the same as mentioned by others: redundant duplicates, "giving up" on interaction with 9th Ave (although I like how it opens up to 8th Ave), skepticism that the finishings (especially the crown) will come off like the rendering, and I too got a Neura vibe from it.

I'm having a bit of a hard time interpreting the street interaction and "rifty" thing that's going on. Hopefully we get more renders!

*Stardust* Apr 25, 2014 10:47 PM

I love it. It will be beautiful to look at driving into downtown on 9th ave.

Speaking of...does anyone know what is happening on the 9th ave side? Doesn't look like there is much action happening from the picture, but i could be wrong

Wigs Apr 26, 2014 12:27 AM

Overall, I like it. However, like others have said I do wish it were taller, and twins. Triplets :yuck: come on, Calgary! stop turning into SimCity.

My other gripe is that the project size is a Superblock complex. Not a fan of these since imho it's better to have multiple buildings of differing styles and/or ages instead.

I'm curious to see better renderings of the street level.

overall not too shabby. :cheers: