SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   2010 Vancouver Olympic & Paralympic Super-Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139350)

Delirium Mar 17, 2010 6:00 PM

the only airlines i've seen that fly moscow to sochi are russian and honestly, i refuse to fly on a russian airline. i just don't trust then. maybe i've watched too many plane crashes on youtube :D

anyway, british airways has direct flights from London to Istanbul

Yume-sama Mar 17, 2010 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoNeurons (Post 4750538)
Isn't Russia building High speed rail from Moscow to Sochi? If so, probably the best way to get there would be fly to Moscow and take the train.

Now... about direct flights to Moscow...

Yes, it is costing them $17 billion (on top of their $20 billion Olympic budget). It will, however, take about 10 hours to go from Moscow - Sochi.

But, as mentioned, that is much shorter than 32 hours :P There will undoubtedly be MANY special airplane charters to Sochi, as there was to Vancouver.

Imagine how much more super our Olympics would have been if we spent $37 billion!

SpongeG Mar 18, 2010 6:41 AM

my friend was telling me about some of the olympic banners used - they can be melted down and reused for glue? thats quite cool - is it the fencing stuff? or something else?

Spikester Mar 18, 2010 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 4752086)
my friend was telling me about some of the olympic banners used - they can be melted down and reused for glue? thats quite cool - is it the fencing stuff? or something else?

Olympic graphic displays will be recycled as glue

officedweller Mar 19, 2010 12:02 AM

From the Journal of Commerce:

Quote:

March 17, 2010

http://www.journalofcommerce.com/ima...d/38010/99.jpg
CANNON DESIGN
Once fully decommissioned, the Richmond Oval will become a multi-use facility

2010 Winter Games
Venues decommissioned in Olympic afterglow

Dismantled temporary villages will provide social housing around B.C.

RICHARD GILBERT

staff writer

The end of the 2010 Winter Olympics has triggered a series of construction and renovation projects, which are part of the decommissioning process. The projects will ready the Richmond Oval and the Olympic Villages for their long-term uses.

“From the construction side, the conversion of the Olympic Oval will start once VANOC gives the building back to the city at the end of the month,” said Bob Johnston, principal and national sport leader with Cannon Design.

“VANOC had full use of the Richmond Olympic Oval to do all the Olympic set up. Because it is not a Paralympic venue, the temporary structures, such as temporary seats, the spectator access area and the north plaza, which had tents for the concession and washrooms, need to be removed.”

The $178-million Richmond Oval was designed to be transformed into a centre of excellence for sport, health and wellness.

For example, Johnston said a typical 400 metre speed skating oval is designed to include two rinks inside the loop.

“The city wanted the ice, but not in the area it is usually installed, because it would take up a tremendous amount of space and limits the multi-purpose function of the building,” said Johnston.

“What we did was move the ice to the east end of the building. The centre of the building is the court part and the hardwood floor for four gymnasiums is already there.”

This means the Oval’s main activity space will be divided into three activity zones, which include an ice zone, a court zone, and a track zone.

The ice zone will include two Olympic-size ice rinks capable of hosting all ice sports.

The court zone will accommodate up to eight full-sized basketball courts or other gym activities.

The track zone will include a competition standard 200-metre running track and a 60-metre sprint track, with infield space available for additional indoor uses.

The centre can be converted back to a speed skating oval for special events.

Construction will begin on April 1, when VANOC hands the building back to the Richmond Olympic Oval Corporation.

In late April or early May, several fitness areas will reopen, including a specialized high-performance fitness centre for elite athletes and a 2,000 square metre fitness centre.

The courts and tracks will open in July and the ice zone will open near the end of summer.

A similar decommissioning process is being undertaken at the Athletes’ Village in Vancouver.

“Basically we were involved in setting up all the facilities for the athletes at the Vancouver Olympic village,” said Ramin Roohi, manager of the special projects division with ITC Construction Group.

“VANOC had all the commercial units under the building and we turned it into a medical centre, gymnasium, internet lounge, media room, wheel chair repair centre, prayer rooms and religious centre.”

Roohi said about 44,000 square feet of space had tenant improvements, which included areas for staff to receive mail, send faxes and a computer data centre.

“They are still using it, but I am putting a price together to bring it all down,” he said.

“VANOC has to bring back all areas to the same level they were before the tenant improvements.”

Returning this area to what is called shell space will start at the end of the month when the 2010 Paralympic Games are over.

Langley-based Britco Structures manufactured temporary accommodations that were used at the Whistler Athletes’ Village by about 600 athletes and officials.

These buildings, which consisted of 74 modular components, will be dismantled after the games to provide social housing in five communities around BC.

They will be shipped to Chilliwack, Enderby, Saanich, Sechelt and Surrey to create 156 permanent affordable housing units.

Two permanent structures at the village, including a 43,000 square foot lodge built to accommodate 200 athletes and a 20-unit, 27,000 square foot townhouse complex, will remain to house future athletes.

SpongeG Mar 19, 2010 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spikester (Post 4752511)

thx

SpongeG Mar 19, 2010 12:14 AM

and Japan Defeats Canada in Hockey! a huge upset and shocker

Yume-sama Mar 19, 2010 12:26 AM

It wasn't really a huge upset. Japan and USA were among the favorites in Sledge Hockey before the tournament. The Japanese are really good, and REALLY fast :P

It's perfectly bizarre enough to be something that Japanese people would be good at.

Japan is a Country where people excel at obscure things!

LeftCoaster Mar 19, 2010 2:21 AM

Hotdog eating contests...

Delirium Mar 19, 2010 3:33 PM

looks like Vancouver/Whistler are going to be hosting the 2015 Winter Deaflympics. Seriously. I had no idea deaf people got their own games. either way, good for tourism. 2015 will be canada's year of sport with this event and toronto hosting the summer pan-am games.

http://www.2015deaflympics.org/

article in the straight;
http://www.straight.com/article-2988...aflympics-2015

“What is exciting is that Vancouver is going to be one of the rare cities that have hosted all three sets of Olympics, which is the hearing Olympics—which we just went through—the Paralympics, and now the Deaflympics,” Rizzi told the Straight in a phone interview. “Which is pretty rare, and huge for CDSA. It’s huge to be able to host the world and showcase our country.”

sacrifice333 Mar 19, 2010 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 4753319)
and Japan Defeats Canada in Hockey! a huge upset and shocker

And now I shall see Canada claim the Bronze! :banana:

CLC Mar 19, 2010 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 4754219)
looks like Vancouver/Whistler are going to be hosting the 2015 Winter Deaflympics. Seriously. I had no idea deaf people got their own games. either way, good for tourism.

Dealflympics winter games is small-scale event, I doubt its effect on Tourism is just like a large conference. Dealflympics summer games is somewhat bigger story, still Taipei did not apparently manage it well when it held the last game.

Yume-sama Mar 19, 2010 5:58 PM

I've never heard of such a thing.

Yume-sama Mar 19, 2010 7:57 PM

*edit* D'oh.

SpongeG Mar 20, 2010 11:04 PM

i never thought of the little ferry things in false creek during the games - check out the line

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/...710f00dc_b.jpg
flickr kahloke

Denscity Mar 22, 2010 3:28 AM

Vancouver and BC's "post-Olympic era" starts tomorrow.

SpongeG Mar 22, 2010 4:20 AM

family loves the olympics

Video Link

SpongeG Mar 22, 2010 4:28 AM

seems some don't want Sochi 2014

Video Link

sacrifice333 Mar 23, 2010 12:41 AM

Paralympic Cauldron and Fairmont Pacific Rim

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2462/...ba9829b4_b.jpg

osirisboy Mar 23, 2010 3:02 AM

great pic!!

So when does the Cauldron get re lit?

CLC Mar 23, 2010 5:14 AM

^ You can find at flickr his picture was taken several days ago.

SpongeG Mar 23, 2010 5:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osirisboy (Post 4760201)
great pic!!

So when does the Cauldron get re lit?

for what?

it's all over no more flame

osirisboy Mar 23, 2010 5:54 AM

I thought it would be re lit because of this artcile

Vancouver 2010 cauldron to stand as permanent legacy of Games in downtown Vancouver Terasen Gas Inc. provides iconic symbol located at Jack Poole Plaza

Feb 12, 2010

Vancouver, BC ― In a celebration of the 2010 Winter Games, the Olympic and Paralympic Cauldron will become a permanent landmark on the Vancouver waterfront through a legacy partnership announced tonight between Terasen Gas Inc. and the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC).

This legacy will ensure the cauldron, lit tonight by Canadian hockey legend Wayne Gretzky at the conclusion of the spectacular Olympic Opening Ceremony at BC Place, will be a lasting reminder of the Games.

Gretzky, the all-time record holder for goals scored in the National Hockey League (NHL) and executive director of the Team Canada gold medal-winning men’s hockey team at the Salt Lake City 2002 Winter Games, ignited the almost 10-metre-high steel and glass cauldron after a flatbed truck transported him and the Olympic Flame through the streets of downtown Vancouver to the waterfront location.

“The cauldron and the flame ignite the spirit of the 2010 Winter Games and will be a source of inspiration to people in B.C. and around the world. Terasen Gas is pleased to partner with VANOC and this cauldron is a very fitting way for us to contribute to the Games and provide a legacy for British Columbians and all visitors to our province for years to come,” said Randy Jespersen, Terasen Gas Inc.’s president and CEO.

The cauldron, which VANOC designed and fabricated, is located on the west side of the International Broadcast Centre at Jack Poole Plaza at 1055 Canada Place. The plaza will be officially dedicated at a later date in memory of Poole; the founding chairman of VANOC’s board of directors. Poole passed away in October 2009 just hours after the Olympic Flame was lit in Greece signalling the start of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Torch Relay.

“This is a special night for all British Columbians, for Canadians and for Olympic fans around the world. Terasen’s contribution means the spark of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games will forever burn in people’s memories whenever they visit this incredible location,” said the Honourable Gordon Campbell, premier of British Columbia.

“This is particularly special because now one of the most photographed and visible icons of the Games will be forever located here in Jack Poole Plaza. This place is named in honour of a great friend and visionary who was instrumental in bringing the Olympic Spirit to our province and back to Canada for a third time.”

The cauldron will be shown throughout the world during broadcasts of the Games and will showcase the scenic backdrop of majestic snow-capped North Shore Mountains and the waters of Burrard Inlet. It will also be used for the Paralympic Winter Games, which officially open a month later on March 12, 2010.
“Four outstanding Canadian athletes lit the iconic ceremonial cauldron in BC Place tonight and on their behalf Wayne Gretzky has now carried the Olympic Flame to the end of its incredible journey across our great land. This flame and these four athletes have touched millions of Canadians and we hope this moment will inspire the world’s athletes in the pursuit of their dreams,” said John Furlong, VANOC’s CEO. “They have travelled this journey with us since we won the bid in 2003 and it is only fitting that they are here tonight and that the cauldron lit by Wayne Gretzky will serve as a lasting legacy of the Games in the city.”

Gregor Robertson, mayor of the City of Vancouver, also acknowledged the importance of this legacy to the Host City of the Games. “We deeply appreciate Terasen’s legacy to the people of Vancouver. This cauldron and its flame will draw people not only during February and March 2010 but in the years to come as a potent symbol of our time in the limelight as the successful host of the world’s best winter athletes.”

Under its agreement with VANOC, Terasen Gas Inc. has a right to market and promote their association with the 2010 Winter Games, as well as with the Canadian Olympic Teams competing at the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games and the London 2012 Olympic Games. In return, Terasen Gas Inc. made a financial investment in the Games by funding the cost of the cauldron.

YAY my 1000th post :notacrook:

SpongeG Mar 23, 2010 6:00 AM

yes but only for special occasions I can't forsee it being lit all the time

Yume-sama Mar 23, 2010 6:00 AM

I'd imagine it could be re-lit for special occasions, much like the Calgary Tower.

Like the Canucks winning the Stanley Cup :P So sometime before 2075... probably.

osirisboy Mar 23, 2010 6:06 AM

aww that friggin sucks

ozonemania Mar 23, 2010 6:48 AM

I bet it will be lit for Canada Day at least.

metroXpress Mar 24, 2010 2:11 AM

^ or have it lit during Christmas holidays :)

SpongeG Mar 24, 2010 4:21 AM

if it lasts and stays intact - if its easy access it could get vandalized and damaged

Yume-sama Mar 24, 2010 4:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 4762352)
if it lasts and stays intact - if its easy access it could get vandalized and damaged

I sure hope it doesn't accidentally fire up on the first person who tries to climb it and deface it.

osirisboy Mar 24, 2010 4:35 AM

hahaha that would make my year

officedweller Mar 31, 2010 6:38 PM

The news said that a reflecting pool will be built at the base - that'll prevent damage to the glass at the bottom of each leg.

Waders Apr 1, 2010 6:31 AM

The Olympic flame will be lit again as part of this year's Canada Day celebrations.
And if you have $10,000+ to spare..., read the following extract from the Province's news article.
Quote:

Buckley said PavCo is currently developing a "set of protocols" as to when the flame will be lit but said various city and provincial celebrations and public events at the site would likely qualify.

"We'd be delighted to listen to any suggestions that [the city and province] have about when it should be lit."

He said that corporations holding conventions at the site could also ask to have the flame lit.

"They of course would have to pay for it," said Buckley. "It's not cheap. But if they wanted to pay for it, we'd consider that."

"For us just to turn it on and get it ready to turn on is probably in the neighbourhood of $10,000," he added. "And then on top of that is the cost of the gas, and so that's what we're assessing now."
Source: http://www.theprovince.com/life/spar...877/story.html

I am not sure I like the idea of "For Rent" Olympic cauldron.

mr.x Apr 1, 2010 6:48 AM

^ lolll...i'm pretty sure that my request a few weeks ago for this event i'm planning was why they started looking into doing this.

Prometheus Apr 1, 2010 9:21 AM

Live The Dream One More Time

The closing montage and credits of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games as only NBC can do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWbnj9ZEj0Y

The last shot of Sidney Crosby carrying the Canadian flag aloft in victory is poignancy itself.

mr.x Apr 1, 2010 9:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prometheus (Post 4776235)
The closing montage and credits of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games as only NBC can do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWbnj9ZEj0Y

The last shot of Sidney Crosby carrying the Canadian flag aloft in victory is poignancy itself.

7-years for that 17-day moment...sigh. I'll remember it for the rest of my life.

twoNeurons Apr 1, 2010 1:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waders (Post 4776116)
The Olympic flame will be lit again as part of this year's Canada Day celebrations.
And if you have $10,000+ to spare..., read the following extract from the Province's news article.

Source: http://www.theprovince.com/life/spar...877/story.html

Why not? Isn't that in the modern ( post 1984 ) Olympic Spirit? ;) :D

Prometheus Apr 4, 2010 8:25 PM

If we want to avoid the derision of the British press next time, maybe we should host the Winter Olympics in April. About 5 feet of snow have fallen on Cypress in the last few days! That's on top of the 4 feet received in March.

GeeCee Apr 4, 2010 9:29 PM

They'd still find something to complain about.. besides lining up, complaining is their national pastime.

flight_from_kamakura Apr 8, 2010 5:21 PM

this is the talk of the town down here: http://sfcitizen.com/blog/2010/04/07...laza-zip-line/

a ministry of tourist initiative. i'm gonna wander down for the opening and maybe get my photo taken with shani davis, honorary canadian. ;)

Yume-sama Apr 8, 2010 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waders (Post 4776116)

People can pay to light the Calgary Tower, too, which served as 1988 Cauldron :P I recall hearing that it is about $1300 per hour in fuel costs.

sacrifice333 Apr 8, 2010 6:01 PM

HelloBC SF Zip YouTube Video

mr.x Apr 8, 2010 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yume-sama (Post 4786567)
People can pay to light the Calgary Tower, too, which served as 1988 Cauldron :P I recall hearing that it is about $1300 per hour in fuel costs.

That's not very expensive...is that in today's money?

SpongeG Apr 8, 2010 8:10 PM

$1300 isn't expensive? for a weekend thats a lot of money

Yume-sama Apr 8, 2010 8:11 PM

I'd consider $1300/hour for a Flame to be expensive lol

mr.x Apr 9, 2010 1:59 AM

loll...given the size of the Calgary Tower cauldron, I thought it would be a bit more than $1,300/hour.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigtime...79912/sizes/l/
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/...96e0cc3b_b.jpg

nova9 Apr 9, 2010 8:50 PM

So it seems like Tourism BC has brought the zipline and Olympians to San Francisco to promote BC.

CNET - Reliving the Olympics

nobase2010 Apr 9, 2010 11:21 PM

This is what the Cauldron will look like on Canada day.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2710/...fc39ce27_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3420676...79989/sizes/l/

SpongeG Apr 10, 2010 12:09 AM

did someone here take this pic?

I remember seeign it somewhere on this forum = amyway its being used uncredited at vancouver is awesome - someone can go scoop the credit if its yours....

Quote:

http://vancouverisawesome.com/wp-con...comparison.jpg

Granville Street about a week ago, and today
POSTED March 11, 2010 BY Bob Kronbauer

I’m not entirely sure of the source of this photo and normally I wouldn’t just grab something off of the internet and paste it onto our blog but this image must be shared. It’s nice having the streets back but those days of madness were a lot of fun, weren’t they?

I was alerted to it’s existence by The Peak, and the link to the photo is http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1824896_n.jpg … if you know exactly where it came from please comment below so we can give proper credit.
http://vancouverisawesome.com/2010/0...-ago/#comments

ckkelley Apr 10, 2010 1:31 AM

:previous:

That's awesome!!