SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   2010 Vancouver Olympic & Paralympic Super-Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139350)

SpongeG Jan 13, 2010 11:41 PM

VANOC closes Cypress until after Games

Rain, rain go away, Olympic athletes want to play.

After a flood of heavy rains, Olympic officials have closed Cypress Mountain — the soon-to-be home of the Games freestyle and snowboarding event — to the public two and a half weeks earlier than scheduled.

A snow salvage project is underway, the Vancouver Organizing Committee (VANOC) stated in a press release.

"Every day we're making decisions and taking steps to deal with the weather we have or can see coming. We're confident these courses will be in world-class shape when the athletes start to arrive to practice in the first week of February," VANCO's vice president of sport Tim Gayda stated in the release.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/greater_v.../81345872.html

nova9 Jan 14, 2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yume-sama (Post 4648500)
Hmm, I don't know who. But I know it was in Quebec. I was sent the full uniform, stand, and special torch bearer red mittens (they have maple leaf shaped hand grips on the palm).

so instead of the regular maple leaf like on the mittens, it's got like leathery/rubbery maple leaf patch instead. is that correct?

SpongeG Jan 14, 2010 2:23 AM

did anyone see global news tonight? they showed off the media centre - they have a bank a general store anda mcdonalds inside it!

GeeCee Jan 14, 2010 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 4649105)
did anyone see global news tonight? they showed off the media centre - they have a bank a general store anda mcdonalds inside it!

Which one, the main media centre at Canada Place? That's where I'll be working at.. :) Will have to watch the news once I get home from school.

Locked In Jan 14, 2010 6:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 4648769)
its the showroom for the condo isn't it?

Is it? For 999 Seymour? I just figured it was Olympics related, but I don't really know. Anyone know for sure?

SpongeG Jan 14, 2010 8:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeCee (Post 4649134)
Which one, the main media centre at Canada Place? That's where I'll be working at.. :) Will have to watch the news once I get home from school.

yes there at canada place...

a tiny little royal bank it was cute and a mcdonalds - all so the media doesn't have to leave

Delirium Jan 14, 2010 1:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locked In (Post 4649425)
Is it? For 999 Seymour? I just figured it was Olympics related, but I don't really know. Anyone know for sure?

i don't think it's for the condo. their sales office previously was off-site.
isn;t this the Irish House?

Smooth Jan 14, 2010 8:49 PM

I was just in the Bay at Park Royal and they were setting up a new Olympic merchandise section on the 2nd floor. They had quite a few red mittens available in all sizes ;)

Pinion Jan 14, 2010 10:50 PM

2010 Olympic game panned in first review.... which came out well after release, a sign even the developers knew it was crap:

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360...ouver-2010/p1/

"Oh, the poor Winter Olympics. How many of your reading this were even aware that they were starting next month in Vancouver? Other than our Canadian readers, that is."

Ouch. Teamxbox is a huge, reputable site btw (owned by IGN).

Putting out a bad game is a really big waste of an opportunity. Ignoring the gaming market is almost as bad as ignoring the TV market these days. Old school thinking.

SpongeG Jan 14, 2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 4649665)
i don't think it's for the condo. their sales office previously was off-site.
isn;t this the Irish House?

isn't irish house in gastown?

maybe we should make a sticky and list of the known "houses" for the olympics...

SpongeG Jan 14, 2010 11:40 PM

heres some to start: add em if you know em

West Vancouver Community Centre Spirit Square
2121 Marine Drive, West Vancouver

Surrey 2010 Celebration Site
Holland Park
(King George Highway and Old Yale Road), Surrey

2010 Aboriginal Pavilion
Queen Elizabeth Theatre Plaza
649 Cambie Street at Georgia Street, downtown Vancouver

Richmond O Zone
Richmond City Hall (6911 No. 3 Road) and Minoru Park (7191 Granville Avenue), Richmond

Whistler Live!
Whistler Village Stroll

British Columbia’s Robson Square Celebration Site
Robson Square

LiveCity Downtown and LiveCity Yaletown
LiveCity Downtown corner of Georgia Street and Beatty Street;
LiveCity Yaletown David Lam Park, Pacific Boulevard at Drake Street.
The two sites are connected by pedestrian thoroughfares.

The BCLC 2010 Winter Games Dome
at the Richmond O Zone

Bell Ice Cube Pavillion
Robson and Beatty streets

Irish House - http://www.irishhouse2010.com/
620 Nelson St.

holland heinekenhouse
7551 Minoru Gate, richmond

House of Switzerland
Bridges Restaurant - Granville Island

New Westminster (Keep the Dream Alive)
Queensborough Community Centre.

Ontario Pavilion
between BC Place Stadium and Sochi House (Science World)

Sochi 2014 - Russia
Science World

Quebec House (Maison Quebec)
Concord Pacific site near science world

Saskatchewan Pavilion

Abbotsford Live Site
abbotsford recreation centre

Alberta House
Robson and Beatty

Atlantic Canada House
Arts Club Theatre Granville Island

BC Hydro PowerSmart Village
Outside their building downtown

Canada Northern House
602 W. Hastings Street

Canada Pavilion
LiveCity Vancouver – Downtown site (on Georgia Street at Cambie)

CentrePlace Manitoba
LiveCity Vancouver – Downtown site (on Georgia Street at Cambie)

Four Host Nations Pavilion
Queen Elizabeth theatre

French Quarter
Granville Island

GE Plaza
Robson Square

German Saxony House
Vancouver Rowing Club in Stanley Park

Coca-Cola House
Granville Island Hotel

Molson Canadian Hockey House

US Olympic House
Seymour Street

Royal Canadian Mint
500 Granville street

Budweiser House
Commodore Ballroom

Pride House
Davie & Bute (Qmunity centre)

Jamaican Bobsleigh House
Savage Beagle club in Whistler

Laser Waterworks Show
Live city yaletown/falsecreek

any more to add?

Yume-sama Jan 14, 2010 11:44 PM

Wow, thanks for the list :D

Zassk Jan 14, 2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinion (Post 4650513)
2010 Olympic game panned in first review.... which came out well after release, a sign even the developers knew it was crap:

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360...ouver-2010/p1/

"Oh, the poor Winter Olympics. How many of your reading this were even aware that they were starting next month in Vancouver? Other than our Canadian readers, that is."

Ouch. Teamxbox is a huge, reputable site btw (owned by IGN).

Putting out a bad game is a really big waste of an opportunity. Ignoring the gaming market is almost as bad as ignoring the TV market these days. Old school thinking.

Oh well, it's around the same ranking that the Beijing game got (52-60 on metacritic depending on platform). All such event games suck, anyway.

The Mario & Sonic Wii/DS versions will be the ones that sell by far the best, and the 2010 versions of that one got a better aggregate score than the Beijing version.

officedweller Jan 15, 2010 12:26 AM

Yeah, I thought I read in the newspaper that it was next to the Irish Heather;

Yume-sama Jan 15, 2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nova9 (Post 4648969)
so instead of the regular maple leaf like on the mittens, it's got like leathery/rubbery maple leaf patch instead. is that correct?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/...287acb1fb3.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/syume/4275538618/

Yep, it is rubbery.

officedweller Jan 15, 2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by officedweller (Post 4647014)
Samsung wrap on the west facade of the TD tower seems to be progressing well - I think one strip has been applied and the next strip is being applied today.

I think there's only one strip left on the west facade - going up really fast.
Will try to get a pic during the day tomorrow - I'll be going out of the office for lunch in that direction.

GeeCee Jan 15, 2010 12:51 AM

Olympic video games have always been shovelware anyway..

SpongeG Jan 15, 2010 12:51 AM

U.S. warns that terrorists may strike 2010 Olympics

By Robert Matas, The Globe and Mail Posted Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:26 PM ET

The U.S. government is advising American sports fans travelling to Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics to watch out for al-Qaeda and other extremists, especially on transit and in restaurants, churches and other areas outside official venues.

"Al-Qaeda's demonstrated capability to carry out sophisticated attacks against sizable structures - such as ships, large office buildings, embassies and hotels - makes it one of the greatest potential threats to the Olympics," the U.S. State Department said in a fact sheet on the Games posted on its website.

No specific credible threats have been identified, the U.S. government said. However, Americans planning to attend Olympic events or participate in large-scale public gatherings during the Winter Games should use caution and be alert to their surroundings, the advisory said.

Americans are advised to be especially alert when outside Olympic venues. "As security increases in and around Olympic venues, terrorists could shift their focus to more unprotected Olympic venues, open spaces, hotels, railway and other transportation systems, churches, restaurants and other sites not associated with the Olympics."

Earlier this week, Public Safety Minister Peter Van Loan told reporters the federal government has obtained "two or three" new intelligence tips concerning serious threats since a failed Dec. 25 attack on a flight to Detroit. A Nigerian, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, allegedly tried to detonate explosive chemicals hidden in his underwear.

A spokesman for the U.S. Consulate General in Vancouver said the U.S. State Department advisory was posted within the past six weeks, but could not immediately confirm the date.

The U.S. State Department has also advised "a high level of vigilance" in what it calls a worldwide caution on the threat of terrorist actions and violence against Americans. Current information suggests al-Qaeda and affiliated organizations continue to plan terrorist attacks against U.S. interests in multiple regions, include Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East, the State Department said. The worldwide caution, also posted on the website, does not mention Canada.

Constable Mandy Edwards of the Vancouver 2010 Integrated Security Unit said Olympic security forces are ready to face whatever incidents occur during the Winter Games. "We have planned and exercised for events that are plausible and possible," she said yesterday.

full: http://www.ctvolympics.ca/about-vanc...sid=25959.html

Yume-sama Jan 15, 2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeCee (Post 4650729)

Except Sonic vs. Mario. It's actually pretty fun.

Quote:

U.S. warns that terrorists may strike 2010 Olympics
Yay. Now they can fearmonger internationally.

Pinion Jan 15, 2010 1:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeCee (Post 4650729)

So? Imagine if Vancouver 2010 had the first truly good olympics video game. Millions would buy it. Just a blown opportunity to get teens/young adults interested in the games... which they aren't, in case no one has noticed.

I loved Winter and Summer games by Epyx for the C64.

PS Mario vs Sonic is a good start but it's Wii only and not very authentic.

Yume-sama Jan 15, 2010 1:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinion (Post 4650807)
So? Imagine if Vancouver 2010 had the first truly good olympics video game. Millions would buy it. Just a blown opportunity to get teens/young adults interested in the games... which they aren't, in case no one has noticed.

I loved Winter and Summer games by Epyx for the C64.

PS Mario vs Sonic is a good start but it's Wii only and not very authentic.

You tryin' to tell me there isn't really a Sonic or Mario?

SpongeG Jan 15, 2010 2:24 AM

vanoc wants the scotiabank to take its wrap down and may take court action over it

it looks good - leave it

SpongeG Jan 15, 2010 2:28 AM

you gotta be here!

the new BC commercial - will start to air on CTV next week and NBC starting feb 12th

Video Link

Yume-sama Jan 15, 2010 2:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 4650855)
vanoc wants the scotiabank to take its wrap down and may take court action over it

it looks good - leave it

VANOC is way too over zealous. They need to settle down and do their actual job of making sure the Olympics are a success.

I would hope if they were foolish enough to take court action over it, the courts would strike them down.

What legal grounds do they have other than; "ITS NOT FAIR! THIS IS MY PARTY! AND ILL CRY IF I WANT TO~"

nova9 Jan 15, 2010 3:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yume-sama (Post 4650879)
VANOC is way too over zealous. They need to settle down and do their actual job of making sure the Olympics are a success.

I would hope if they were foolish enough to take court action over it, the courts would strike them down.

What legal grounds do they have other than; "ITS NOT FAIR! THIS IS MY PARTY! AND ILL CRY IF I WANT TO~"

but if they don't go after them, i think they fear that more companies will just turn to ambush marketing and marketing by proximity rather than actually being official sponsors. i mean, why spend all that money if i can get the same benefit by putting up a measly banner near the olympics.

Yume-sama Jan 15, 2010 3:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nova9 (Post 4650959)
but if they don't go after them, i think they fear that more companies will just turn to ambush marketing and marketing by proximity rather than actually being official sponsors. i mean, why spend all that money if i can get the same benefit by putting up a measly banner near the olympics.

Well, if you built the nova9 34 storey tower, you could do whatever you want with it :P

At this rate, I'm surprised VANOC isn't asking Starbucks, Burger King, and every other business to remove their storefront signage.

Spork Jan 15, 2010 3:48 AM

Commercial - Looks great. I really like it. Not sure how effective it will be, however. We continue to market ourselves on the great outdoors. How about some of our great culture? (don't attack me, it is pretty damn good at times!)

Re: Scotiabank - Does anybody have a photo of the wrap? I will reserve my opinion until I actually see it. One thing that I don't agree with is VANOC taking control of anything relating to Canadian patriotism, or sport-like. Anything with Olympic rings or VANOC intellectual property is not fair game, in my mind.

Yume-sama Jan 15, 2010 3:53 AM

I'm pretty sure it is all related to Scotia's "Show Your Colors" campaign which is asking people to support Canada and show their colors, and upload to their website pictures of people, places, or things, that make them proud to be Canadian. Obviously, of course, they don't make any mention to the Olympics. They did however have a Canadian athlete (Cassie Campbell) at their launch event. http://money.canoe.ca/money/business...14-124332.html

And just a couple of days ago libraries were told to cover up any non-Olympic sponsors "logos".

Quote:

The memo, written by marketing and communications manager Jean Kavanagh, tells staff to avoid such companies as Pepsi or Dairy Queen - neither of which is an official sponsor, unlike, say Coca-Cola or McDonald's. And she suggests taking unusual steps to avoid displaying the logos of non-sponsors, writing: "If you have a speaker/guest who happens to work for Telus, ensure he/she is not wearing their Telus jacket, as Bell is the official sponsor."

She also writes that any rented sound equipment have its brand name covered by cloth or tape - if it's not a machine from sponsor Panasonic.
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/about-vanc...sid=25635.html

Yume-sama Jan 15, 2010 5:05 AM

NBC Plans 835 Hours of Olympics Coverage

Quote:

Nearly every network of the NBC empire (with the notable exception of Bravo) will air Olympic events. It will add up to more than 825 hours of triple axels and double-takes (will German pairs contenders Savchenko & Szolkowy really skate to "Send in the Clowns" -- in clown make-up?!) According to the Hollywood Reporter, this is the greatest number of Winter Games broadcast hours ever offered.

It all begins with the opening ceremonies on February 12.

The USA Network -- home to the slinky 'Burn Notice' – will hope curling becomes irresistible. How about calling it 'Sweep!' 'Friction!' Or 'Throw That Stone!' USA will also carry some ice hockey games. Figure skating, arguably the marquee event, will be shown on NBC and MSNBC. CNBC will be putting stock in biathlon, along with additional hours of ice hockey and curling. And NBCOlympics.com will offer unprecedented access to events, with 400 hours of online coverage.

Vancouver shares a time zone with Los Angeles, so NBC intends to show the medal hunt live -- or with a slight delay -- in events such as snowboarding, skiing and figure skating.
http://www.aoltv.ca/2010/01/14/nbc-p...pics-coverage/

SpongeG Jan 15, 2010 7:16 AM

7-11 has canadian wraps for their coffee - thay have maple leafs and they say GO CANADA! i wonder what vanoc thinks of that

nobase2010 Jan 15, 2010 7:19 AM

This is common practice in films and T.V. shows. If your part of a movie you have restrictions on what not to wear. They would put tape over any logos on your clothes that is not associated with the film. Even going to Oprah Winfrey show they have clothing restriction. I remember one guy wanted to wear the Canuck jersey during the show but he was told to wear something else.

Scotia bank could have done their wrap during Canada Day instead.

It easy for the public to critize Vanoc. But these companies are spending million of dollars to be an Olympic sponsors. Of course they would be pissed off at the freeloaders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yume-sama (Post 4650991)
I'm pretty sure it is all related to Scotia's "Show Your Colors" campaign which is asking people to support Canada and show their colors, and upload to their website pictures of people, places, or things, that make them proud to be Canadian. Obviously, of course, they don't make any mention to the Olympics. They did however have a Canadian athlete (Cassie Campbell) at their launch event. http://money.canoe.ca/money/business...14-124332.html

And just a couple of days ago libraries were told to cover up any non-Olympic sponsors "logos".

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/about-vanc...sid=25635.html

Yume-sama Jan 15, 2010 7:23 AM

I don't doubt they are mad, but they have no legal leg to stand on. And I'm afraid they can't even win in the court of public opinion. They can't be so naive as to think *other* people won't profit off of the Olympics. How many people will fly an airline *not* Air Canada to get there? Me, for one! How many people will eat at a restaurant that is not McDonalds? Everyone. How many people will not use Bell? Most people.

Now, had they made clear reference to the Olympics or infringed on any copyrighted or trademarked logos or slogans, that would be a different story :)

I wonder how much their heads would explode if people started using Pepsi's chant during the Canadian hockey games. :haha:

nobase2010 Jan 15, 2010 8:25 AM

I wonder what is like to have an Olympic without any sponsors? Will it work?

Pinion Jan 15, 2010 8:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 4650862)
you gotta be here!

the new BC commercial - will start to air on CTV next week and NBC starting feb 12th

Video Link

That was pretty impressive star power for one ad. The Will and Grace guy doesn't have any BC connections from what I can see though (Ontario born-raised).

Yume-sama Jan 15, 2010 8:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobase2010 (Post 4651287)

No.

nova9 Jan 15, 2010 8:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinion (Post 4651292)
That was pretty impressive star power for one ad. The Will and Grace guy doesn't have any BC connections from what I can see though (Ontario born-raised).

Eric McCormack's wife is a Vancouverite and they share a home here. I dunno how I know that.

mooks28 Jan 15, 2010 8:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nova9 (Post 4651297)
Eric McCormack's wife is a Vancouverite and they share a home here. I dunno how I know that.

They own a house here. Know someone who did some contracting work for them.

red-paladin Jan 15, 2010 9:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobase2010 (Post 4651287)

There were Olympics in 1980 in Moscow.

Yume-sama Jan 15, 2010 9:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red-paladin (Post 4651309)
There were Olympics in 1980 in Moscow.

:P Aside from the fact it was in the USSR, I'm guessing the fact that 64 Countries, including Canada and the USA, boycotted the games, was the main reason why corporate sponsorship wasn't really there.

mooks28 Jan 15, 2010 9:15 AM

I think the heavy sponsorship started in 1984 in Los Angeles. Prior to that, governments were largely expected to pick up the tab.

Yume-sama Jan 15, 2010 9:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooks28 (Post 4651313)
I think the heavy sponsorship started in 1984 in Los Angeles. Prior to that, governments were largely expected to pick up the tab.

Yes, the 1976 Olympics in Montreal kind of scared everyone off with the massive cost over runs. *ONLY* Los Angeles even bid for the 1984 games. Come 1984 private companies became involved in sponsorships (providing funding to build the stadiums so they wouldn't run in to a Montreal situation), 1984 was very financially successful (it was the first Olympics to sell TV rights), and from then on more than 2 cities in the World would actually bid for the games, and it has become a lot more important.

The games have gone from something that nobody wants to host, to something that *everyone* wishes they could host.

raggedy13 Jan 15, 2010 9:51 AM

I once saw Eric McCormack get takeout from Aoki Sushi on Broadway while I was eating there. I wasn't sure if he was just in town shooting something or if he lived in the area. Now I know.

SpongeG Jan 15, 2010 9:58 AM

yes he lives in kits

Delirium Jan 15, 2010 4:24 PM

Yahoo Inc. said Friday it is launching a Winter Olympics mobile site, broadcast studio in Vancouver and entertainment center there.

Sunnyvale-based Yahoo (NASDAQ:YHOO) said it will also have Olympians and champion athletes for games commentary.

The mobile Olympics site is scheduled to launch on Feb. 9 and will provide medal counts, news and expert coverage, live results and athlete profiles.

FanCouver, an entertainment center at the scene, will provide a free WiFi lounge, video streaming, refreshments, photo booth, athlete appearances and other things.

Copyright 2010 bizjournals.com
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...15&id=10991824

flight_from_kamakura Jan 15, 2010 5:14 PM

good old nytimes, continuing to do its part:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/01/17...hours.html?hpw

wrenegade Jan 15, 2010 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nytimes
Walk down the main promenade and see everyone from rich urban castaways and old-school hippies to French-babbling Québécois and weathered dropouts shouldering skis the size of ironing boards.

I'm doing my part.

Delirium Jan 15, 2010 11:01 PM

from www.scoutmagazine.ca

"The German National Olympic Association and the Bavarian Tourism Industry is going to be running a beer garden from 10am-2am every day of the Olympics in the parking lot adjacent to Steamworks.- it will be built to hold around 600. It will be serving authentic german beer and food while playing traditional german music. And rumour has it they are flying German Beer Ladies from Munich to serve there"

Yume-sama Jan 15, 2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 4652159)

"The German National Olympic Association and the Bavarian Tourism Industry is going to be running a beer garden from 10am-2am every day of the Olympics in the parking lot adjacent to Steamworks.- it will be built to hold around 600. It will be serving authentic german beer and food while playing traditional german music. And rumour has it they are flying German Beer Ladies from Munich to serve there"

Yay! David Hasselhoff!

Stingray2004 Jan 15, 2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 4652159)

The German site states that it will actually be hosted by the 'Thuringian' State Sports Federation. A former east German state that borders Bavaria long its north-east border. They are not known for jovial Bavarian Gemütlichkeit. :D Nevertheless, I'm going to definitely drop by a few times.

http://www.dsm-olympia.de/de/100501/..._fan_fest.html

The Vancouver Rowing Club in Stanley Park will also house the German "Sachsen Haus", another former eastern state whose capital is Dresden. More German music, beer and bratwurst. Perhaps even some Oompahpah bands. Gonna be fun.

http://www.citycaucus.com/2010venues...n-saxony-house

Delirium Jan 15, 2010 11:45 PM

^ thanks! and Yume-Sama, good one :tup:

the city launched their Livecity website. i like how they incorporated cranes in the skyline..
www.livecityvancouver.ca

btw, here's the longer version of the video posted above. the footage is amazing!
Video Link