SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   APTA Quarterly Transit Ridership Reports (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201524)

Ch.G, Ch.G Mar 13, 2013 3:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 6049196)
It's not a ranking of which metro areas have the most bus riders. It's a ranking of which transit agencies have the most.

You could build a metro ranking, but you'd have to add a lot of agencies for a lot of cities. We have something around 20 providers in the DC area other than WMATA, and lots of other cities are similar.

Well, working with the information provided in the APTA report.

ETA: Honest question: Why wouldn't those agencies be included in the report?

blackcat23 Mar 13, 2013 4:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afiggatt (Post 6047751)
LA light rail had a 18.5% ridership growth in 2012 compared to the Boston MBTA Green Line with 3.8%. With the new lines that started during 2012, LA could overtake or just about match Boston in this category in 2013, pretty good odds it will do so by 2014.

The MBTA Green Line extension will boost Green Line ridership, but the extension is some years away. By then, LA will have opened how many additional miles of light rail?

I'd expect LA to pass Boston for daily light rail ridership when Expo Phase II opens up to Santa Monica.

Los Angeles Metro Rail currently has about 17 miles of light rail extensions under construction, with another 10 to begin in the next year or two. Depending on new funding mechanisms from the federal government and public-private partnerships, there could be quite a bit more underway within the next decade.

CCs77 Mar 13, 2013 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 6049196)
It's not a ranking of which metro areas have the most bus riders. It's a ranking of which transit agencies have the most.

You could build a metro ranking, but you'd have to add a lot of agencies for a lot of cities. We have something around 20 providers in the DC area other than WMATA, and lots of other cities are similar.

Exactly, that's what I was about to answer, Thank you.
That's why I named it Largest Bus Agencies (as in the APTA report) and included the name of the agency, together with the city. But maybe I'd should clarify that when I wrote the post.
Every major metropolitan area has a lot of agencies, I know that. In LA for example, besides LA County MTA and Orange County, included in the list, some cities like Santa Monica, Long Beach or Culver City and I guess some others that I don't know of, have their our agencies complementing the bigger ones. Also Riverside and San Bernardino counties have their own, separate, agencies.
In the New York area, Besides MTA and NJTransit, there are also agencies in Westchester and Nassau counties, with about 100000 daily riders each. Suffolk county also has its own, much smaller, and the City of Long Beach (NY) has one aswell (carryng some more of 1000 people) I guess there are a lot more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G (Post 6049221)
Well, working with the information provided in the APTA report.

I think it is because there are so many agencies in all the US, so I guess, they only include or work with the largest ones. Nonetheless some smaller agencies of the metro areas are included.
Anyway, I think the agencies included in the list, being the main ones, share a vast majority of the bus trips generated in those cities/Metro areas, and represent well the size of the market.

Nexis4Jersey Mar 13, 2013 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCs77 (Post 6049264)
Exactly, that's what I was about to answer, Thank you.
That's why I named it Largest Bus Agencies (as in the APTA report) and included the name of the agency, together with the city. But maybe I'd should clarify that when I wrote the post.
Every major metropolitan area has a lot of agencies, I know that. In LA for example, besides LA County MTA and Orange County, included in the list, some cities like Santa Monica, Long Beach or Culver City and I guess some others that I don't know of, have their our agencies complementing the bigger ones. Also Riverside and San Bernardino counties have their own, separate, agencies.
In the New York area, Besides MTA and NJTransit, there are also agencies in Westchester and Nassau counties, with about 100000 daily riders each. Suffolk county also has its own, much smaller, and the City of Long Beach (NY) has one aswell (carryng some more of 1000 people) I guess there are a lot more.

I think it is because there are so many agencies in all the US, so I guess, they only include the largest ones. Nonetheless some smaller agencies of the metro areas are included.
Anyway, I think the agencies included in the list, being the main ones, share a vast majority of the bus trips generated in those cities/Metro areas, and represent well the size of the market.

Theres over 60 agencies here in the NYC-NJ-NY-CT-NEPA.....most are small , but they add up to about 500-800,000 i haven't added all of them.

fflint Mar 13, 2013 5:22 AM

Average weekday transit ridership in the Bay Area is roughly 1,583,920, not including about a dozen smaller agencies that aren't listed in APTA (one purportedly carries 30,000 on weekdays but I can't find a good source so I'm not including it). All in all, I'd say this figure is within about 100k-150k of the real total.

I averaged AC Transit (see bus agency list above) to 175,000 weekday riders, and included San Mateo County Transit (SAMTRANS), which isn't listed on APTA but reports 51,320 average weekday riders in its 2012 annual report. I can't get a recent stat for Altamont Commuter Express, but wikipedia had it at 3,700 weekday riders as of 2008; I'm rounding it up to 4,000 since media reports just this month are touting its rapid growth.

LMich Mar 13, 2013 8:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G (Post 6049221)

I've asked that of the APTA, and the simple answer they gave me back was that some agencies simply don't report their numbers. For instance, I was told that Detroit's suburban SMART feeder system doesn't report. Not that it'd make the list of the largest agencies, anyway, but DDOT (the system that only covers the 700,000 people in the city proper) numbers don't accurately reflect the amount of people on mass transit even within the immediate city and inner-ring. SMART isn't some far-flung system with little or not connection to DDOT, or some random dial-a-ride. It basically functions as DDOT's commuter/limited routes.

Still, both systems have had so much capacity cut, which has cratered ridership, that it's almost embarrassing to even mention adding SMART to DDOT, because it doesn't change the numbers that much.

Doady Mar 13, 2013 8:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 6048920)
STM have about half of fare revenue compared to TTC though (TTC's revenue from fare is around 1 billion). If STM have similar boarding compared to TTC, does that mean TTC riders paid twice as much in average?

The cost of TTC monthly and weekly passes are 66% higher than STM's. I think that is the difference.

TTC monthly pass: $128.50
STM monthly pass: $77.00

TTC weekly pass: $38.50 (!)
STM weekly pass: $23.50

The TTC hates it when people use transit too much. It's sad, but true.

J. Will Mar 14, 2013 5:07 AM

From the Q4 2012 report, metro Toronto-area agency boardings (000s):

TTC: 2,764.3
GO: 244.9
York: 81.1
Brampton: 66.5

Total of these four agencies: 3,155.8

They don't include MiWay (Mississauga), which alone has 170,000+ boardings per weekday, Oakville, Burlington, Milton, or Durham transit systems. If you added all those systems in, the GTA probably has about 3.6 million boardings per weekday, WELL over 1 boarding per 2 GTA residents.

Doady Mar 14, 2013 7:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Will (Post 6050941)
From the Q4 2012 report, metro Toronto-area agency boardings (000s):

TTC: 2,764.3
GO: 244.9
York: 81.1
Brampton: 66.5

Total of these four agencies: 3,155.8

The numbers for York and Brampton aren't boardings, they are revenue ridership.

Even though it experienced a strike, York Region Transit had an average of 107.3k boardings per weekday in 2011. The numbers for 2012 are surely higher than that.

As I was saying, some of the Canadian numbers in that report are incorrect.

nfitz Mar 15, 2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doady (Post 6047459)
STM is weird since they reported the correct info last year. Last year STM reported 2.5 million riders per weekday to APTA, and this year they reported 1.4 million riders per weekday. I find it hard to believe that STM's ridership dropped by over 40 percent in one year.

STM numbers have never made sense in the past. They always seemed too high. Given the capacity of their subway fleet was only about 60-75% (same length, narrow, less trains) of Toronto, and their trains are less frequent, how could they be moving similar numbers of people?

I don't think Montreal's numbers are linked now. Compare to their own reporting. I think their previous reporting was just plain wrong. If you look at the Q1 reporting for this year, it's been fixed for a while, with no sigh of reduction in ridership.

UtahProjects Mar 16, 2013 5:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fflint (Post 6047093)
APTA 4th Quarter Report

Top 20 US Light Rail Systems by Average Weekday Ridership:

01. Boston - 222,500
02. Los Angeles - 203,400
03. San Francisco - 160,100
04. Portland - 115,400
05. Philadelphia - 113,900
06. Dallas - 103,100
07. San Diego - 87,700
08. Denver - 65,300
09. Salt Lake City - 60,600
10. St. Louis - 52,500
11. Sacramento - 49,600
12. Phoenix - 46,000
13. Houston - 37,400
14. San Jose - 33,800
15. Minneapolis - 31,500
16. Seattle - 29,800
17. Baltimore - 29,200
18. Pittsburgh - 27,600
19. Buffalo - 19,900
20. Charlotte - 14,800

And two more lines opening this year. Probably the last light-rail lines in a while for Utah. Streetcars are the new focus.

Nexis4Jersey Mar 16, 2013 9:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahProjects (Post 6054452)
And two more lines opening this year. Probably the last light-rail lines in a while for Utah. Streetcars are the new focus.

Why no new Light Rail lines , I could see a few more in SLC running down the boulevards or wide streets.

emathias Mar 16, 2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDRCRASH (Post 6048432)
When is the MBTA Green Line extension projected to be completed?

http://greenlineextension.eot.state.ma.us/

It's planned as a phased delivery.

As of last fall, the first three new stations are currently scheduled to be in service in 2017, with the remaining 4 following approximately 2 years later in 2019. They project 49,000 new daily riders by 2030, with a strong majority of those riders showing up from the initial openings.

JDRCRASH Mar 16, 2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 6054753)
http://greenlineextension.eot.state.ma.us/

It's planned as a phased delivery.

As of last fall, the first three new stations are currently scheduled to be in service in 2017, with the remaining 4 following approximately 2 years later in 2019. They project 49,000 new daily riders by 2030, with a strong majority of those riders showing up from the initial openings.

Wow, that would put the expected completion date right in line with that of the Regional Connector, which we expect to be done by 2018-2020. Could be pretty interesting to see how this will affect total LRT ridership.

CCs77 Mar 16, 2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahProjects (Post 6054452)

One thing that distinguish SLC is that is one of the cities that are putting more effort in building TOD's along the rail stations. Even if they don't build more extensions for a while, the ridership should continue to increase, as new developments opens. I think they are building thousands of new apartments along the lines.

An example is Daybreak. The first developments, built before they opened the Red line extension and with more suburban character, may not be much related to the rail line. But the most recent and future developments, more urban in character and nearer to the stations, will be clearly more influenced by the convenience of this system. In a few years, we can expect that the area near the two stations of Daybreak will be completely filled and adding patrons to the system.

They are building TOD's in many other places as well, like along the airport line, Murray, among others, that together will add thousand of apartments, together with office and commercial space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fflint (Post 6054938)
Guys, this is not an appropriate place to post a lot of big photographs of your hometown.

It is not my hometown, don't even been there. I just find interesting the TOD politic of SLC, I think there is nothing similar in all the US. But I guess you are right, too many pictures and maybe not the right thread. I will erase them, and just add the link to the SLC transportation thread in case somebody is interested in seeing all the TOD's. being bult there.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...150074&page=23

fflint Mar 17, 2013 1:51 AM

Guys, this is not an appropriate place to post a lot of big photographs of your hometown.

mrnyc Mar 18, 2013 5:37 AM

more general cleveland info:

final ridership numbers for 2012:

Red Line - Up 9.72%, 6,239,900 total ridership.
Blue/Green Line - Up 4.05%, 2,855,800 total ridership.
Systemwide - Up 4.23%, 48,152,700 total ridership.
^Note the systemwide total is still down 17% from 2008.

also note:
approx 1 out of every 5 transit trips in Cleveland is a rail trip.
GCRTA has only 37 miles of rail vs 1,600 miles of bus routes.

CCs77 Jun 15, 2013 1:37 AM

They already published the 1st quarter of 2013 report.

For Heavy rail
The biggest gainer is Miami, with 10.42% over the same period of 2012.
The biggest looser is NY-NJ Path, with a decrease of 14.14% (is it still affected by Sandy damage?)

For Light Rail
The biggest gainer is Los Angeles with 17.88% not surprising, since they opened Expo Line last year.
Contrasting with its northern neighbor, the bigger looser is San Diego, a decrease of 15%, why would be that?

For Commuter rail
The biggest gainer, with the southern expansion to Drapper, is Salt Lake City, that gets a whopping 115.36% increase .With 13 thousand daily riders, jumps to the 9th place, surpassing Seattle.
Another big gainer is Austin, with 93.96% It is a smaller system, but it goes from 43K in january, 51K in february to 116K in march.
In the same state, Dallas-Forth Worth has the biggest lose -12.09%

afiggatt Jun 15, 2013 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCs77 (Post 6165280)
They already published the 1st quarter of 2013 report.

For Heavy rail
The biggest gainer is Miami, with 10.42% over the same period of 2012.
The biggest looser is NY-NJ Path, with a decrease of 14.14% (is it still affected by Sandy damage?)

Checking news reports, PATH did not return to a nominal full service until late February. PATH and the NYC subway are facing years of repair, replacement, tunnel rebuilds, and flood presentation work that are likely to hold down ridership levels from what they would have been w/o Sandy.

WMATA DC Metro ridership was down -5.88% for the 1st quarter. The effects of the aggressive weekend and overnight track work program are reducing ridership numbers on weekends. That and the fare increases are causing the overall total ridership numbers to drop. The WMATA April 2013 report showed an increase for the month of April over April 2013, but the peak of the Cherry Blossoms took place around April 9 vice late March in 2012.

The CTA ridership was down -3.38%. Weather related or a real slump in what had been sustained ridership growth?

Edit: One factor in comparing total trips is that 2012 was a leap year with 29 days in February 2012. So the totals are comparing a 1st Qtr of 2013 with 90 days versus 1st Qtr of 2012 with 91 days. If daily ridership stayed exactly the same, that would result in a -1.1% decline in total passenger trips.

BevoLJ Jun 15, 2013 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCs77 (Post 6165280)
Another big gainer is Austin, with 93.96% It is a smaller system, but it goes from 43K in january, 51K in february to 116K in march.

I do wish we would hit 116k every month, but sadly this is mostly just due to the fact SXSW is held every March. :(