SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Western Expresso (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188202)

blueandgoldguy Oct 6, 2023 10:10 PM

The Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra is in some serious financial trouble. They just revealed a $1.3 million deficit for 2022/23.

Get out there and buy your tickets folks! Whether that's season tickets, packages or individual tickets - do whatever you can to support this institution. We don't want to lose the Symphony like Kitchener.

BlackDog204 Oct 10, 2023 10:51 AM

Son of Jewish humanitarian from Winnipeg fears mother was taken hostage by Hamas in Israel

https://smartcdn.gprod.postmedia.dig...v9nNyIxw4o6P7w

The son of a Jewish humanitarian originally from Winnipeg wants information regarding his mother's whereabouts and her well-being. Yonatan Zeigen says he last spoke to his mother, Vivian, on Saturday. She was on the Be'eri kibbutz when it was attacked by Hamas militants and he fears she was taken hostage.

"Vivian Silver is my mother and … she's a woman of small stature, but in spirit she's a giant," he said from Tel Aviv in an interview with The National's Adrienne Arsenault. "She dedicated her life to peace work. She came to Israel 50 years ago and just after the [Yom Kippur War], which is kind of ironic, and since then she was just involved in activities to end the occupation and to solve the conflict."

Hamas militants from the Gaza Strip launched surprise attacks in Israel Saturday morning, crossing into Israeli towns and firing a barrage of rockets. Israel responded by launching airstrikes in Gaza. Israeli media reports at least 900 people in Israel have been killed since Saturday's attacks, while Palestinian officials say more than 400 people have been killed in Gaza. Palestinian militant groups also claim to be holding over 130 captives from the Israeli side.

Vivian Silver is a Jewish humanitarian from Winnipeg, but has lived in Israel for decades. (Submitted by Yonatan Zeigen )
Zeigen said he had been on the phone with his mother since the attacks began, but "realized very fast something unusual" was happening. He added his mother was hiding in a safe room in her home, but that the two decided to switch to messaging on WhatsApp when he heard gunshots outside of the window of the room which she was hiding.

"She wrote me that they're in the house and that was it," he said. "She really has a great sense of humour, so we joked up until that point," he added. "We were joking and then we said 'OK it's time to stop joking' and just expressed love for each other and that was it."

Yonatan Zeigen tells CBC's Adrienne Arsenault that he 'realized very fast that something unusual is happening,' when he was speaking to his mother, Vivian Silver, on Saturday. She was in Kibbutz Be'eri when it was attacked by Hamas, and he fears she was taken hostage.
Silver 'dedicated her life to peace work' Zeigen explained that his mother "dedicated her life to peace work" and was the co-CEO of the Negev Institute for Strategies of Peace and Development, an organization with of a team of Arabs and Jews who work together to create a shared society, where Arabs and Jews live together while preserving their respective identity and culture, according to its website.

He said Silver is involved with an organization called Women Wage Peace, which describes itself as "the largest grassroots peace movement in Israel today." In addition, Silver also volunteers in another organization called Road to Recovery and drove Palestinians from Gaza to Israeli hospitals up until recently, he said. 'He was murdered saving people,' says mother of Montreal man killed in Hamas attack on Israel

Zeigen, who works as a social worker helping people experiencing homelessness in Tel Aviv, said his mother helped him develop the empathy and compassion needed for the job. "That's the woman she is," he said. "It's hard to speak in past tense or in present tense because we don't really know."

'She's a woman of a small stature, but in spirit she's a giant,' Yonatan Zeigen tells CBC's Adrienne Arsenault about his mother, Vivian Silver. She was in Kibbutz Be'eri when it was attacked by Hamas, and Zeigen fears she was taken hostage.
Israel increased airstrikes on the Gaza Strip Monday, sealing the area off from food, fuel and other supplies in retaliation for the bloody incursion by Hamas militants, as the war's death toll rose to nearly 1,600 on both sides. Hamas escalated its action, pledging to kill captured Israelis if attacks targeted civilians without warnings.

Zeigen said he doesn't think his mother is missing, but is either dead in her house or being held in Gaza. He added while he wants to know his mother is alive and well, he also hopes efforts are made to get in contact with his mother so the family can tell her how much they love her.

"I hope the Canadians won't lose interest and be involved," he said. "Vivian's whole family is in Canada, we were just there this summer."

source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ther-1.6991019

1ajs Oct 17, 2023 12:15 AM

fridaynight
https://scontent-ord5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...FQ&oe=65331ABF

zalf Oct 17, 2023 4:20 PM

^ That's genuinely among the most beautiful aurora photos I've ever seen

Winnipeg Grump Oct 17, 2023 5:26 PM

That's nice work, AJ
:worship:

OTA in Winnipeg Oct 17, 2023 11:09 PM

Anyone know why the forum goes down so frequently?

optimusREIM Oct 17, 2023 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg (Post 10061300)

Was wondering that too

FactaNV Oct 19, 2023 3:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg (Post 10061300)

It's probably getting really old and really outdated. Slowly deteriorating at the server level.

dmacc Oct 19, 2023 1:14 PM

Is there a suitable alternative to this forum? I would hate to lose it.

audie Oct 19, 2023 1:44 PM

This is a version of vBulletin 3, which was released ~2004. Don't think that it's been officially supported since 2017.

It's interesting how popular the Man/Sask page is in comparison to the rest of the country and even the forum at large. I think only the Ottawa and Vancouver pages really have more activity. I suppose other forums must have caught on instead for most other cities, I imagine that Winnipeg isn't the only place with people interested in development

bomberjet Oct 19, 2023 2:35 PM

There was another forum of similar set-up. Probably old and outdated now too. It was not used like this one is.

I think this is the one I was looking for. The logo and such have been updated recently.
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threa...ction.2198058/

1ajs Oct 19, 2023 4:39 PM

Ssc is where all our troops wind up the Canada sections deader then dead no days

There used to be Winnipeg based forums for these discussions 20 yrs ago newwinnipeg.com and then the sandbox those discussions all migrated here when said forums died around 2005 2008

ColdRain&Snow Oct 24, 2023 8:21 PM

Edmonton has passed a huge update to their zoning by-law. I'm still reading up on it but the best one-sentence summary I could find was: "The bylaw gets rid of single-home zoning, allowing for three-story tall townhouses, row houses, duplexes and in some cases small apartments in any residential area citywide starting in the new year."

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2023/10...-zoning-bylaw/

More news articles:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ings-1.7005691

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...rey-apartments

This is a huge win for housing affordability. The new bylaw is by far the most ambitious plan from a municipal government in Canada to get more housing built. Very excited to see how much the new bylaw will impact housing prices over the next 5-10 years.

BlackDog204 Oct 25, 2023 5:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 10062905)
Ssc is where all our troops wind up the Canada sections deader then dead no days

There used to be Winnipeg based forums for these discussions 20 yrs ago newwinnipeg.com and then the sandbox those discussions all migrated here when said forums died around 2005 2008

Newwinnipeg.com was the most popular forum from 2000-08, and ran until about 2010. It was very popular in the middle part of the decade. There was a mutiny, and the late GrumpyOldMan created the Winnipeg Sandbox, which ran from 2008-14. However, by 2012, a forum by the name of Winnipeg Zoom overtook the Sandbox in popularity. Zoom lasted from 2011-16.

Message forums in general, saw their heyday in the early-mid 2000s. Once social media (and blogs to a lesser extent), the forums were doomed. Forum participation has been in decline for nearly 20 years. Not many really migrated here from Winnipeg-based forums, as SSP was well known for the past 20 years. I know that some prolific posters simply created their own blogs in the mid 2000s, or went on to social media. SSP is one of the few forums that still has a considerable amount of activity. Most forums have fallen by the wayside in the past decade.

BlackDog204 Oct 25, 2023 6:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 10062746)
There was another forum of similar set-up. Probably old and outdated now too. It was not used like this one is.

I think this is the one I was looking for. The logo and such have been updated recently.
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threa...ction.2198058/

I occasionally checked out that forum years back. The highlight of my browsing experience was learning that former SSP member WinnipegPatroit mentioned he cannot attend any forum get togethers, since he would not want any criminal charges from assaulting Biguc....lol

Crisis Oct 25, 2023 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow (Post 10066580)
Edmonton has passed a huge update to their zoning by-law. I'm still reading up on it but the best one-sentence summary I could find was: "The bylaw gets rid of single-home zoning, allowing for three-story tall townhouses, row houses, duplexes and in some cases small apartments in any residential area citywide starting in the new year."

Wow. That really is big news. Surprised it passed by such a large (11-2) margin. That will definitely create some consternation in new high end residential neighbourhoods where only single family homes are currently being built.

optimusREIM Oct 25, 2023 5:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisis (Post 10067118)
Wow. That really is big news. Surprised it passed by such a large (11-2) margin. That will definitely create some consternation in new high end residential neighbourhoods where only single family homes are currently being built.

I foresee a couple predictable effects:

1- whining by people in the city,
2- most areas where people whine will become higher quality neighbourhoods, and
3- many people will look to areas outside city limits if they want to live in suburban single-family hellscapes.

1ajs Oct 25, 2023 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog204 (Post 10066891)
Newwinnipeg.com was the most popular forum from 2000-08, and ran until about 2010. It was very popular in the middle part of the decade. There was a mutiny, and the late GrumpyOldMan created the Winnipeg Sandbox, which ran from 2008-14. However, by 2012, a forum by the name of Winnipeg Zoom overtook the Sandbox in popularity. Zoom lasted from 2011-16.

Message forums in general, saw their heyday in the early-mid 2000s. Once social media (and blogs to a lesser extent), the forums were doomed. Forum participation has been in decline for nearly 20 years. Not many really migrated here from Winnipeg-based forums, as SSP was well known for the past 20 years. I know that some prolific posters simply created their own blogs in the mid 2000s, or went on to social media. SSP is one of the few forums that still has a considerable amount of activity. Most forums have fallen by the wayside in the past decade.

very familiar with the 2 forums newwinnipeg died cause the owner didnt have time to admin it and changed direction on focusing on the webhosting end of his buisness thats where the mutiny happend the sandbox was born out of that

MR_Point

wp ive met him in a few times hes differnt

biguc is a riot if u ever meet him
2008 had a bottle with him and only the lonly and another behind the albert hahaha good times

Dalreg Oct 26, 2023 4:18 AM

I come to SSP for the Canada page and the local Sask/Man page. I use the "other" forum for everything else including the Australia page where I am currently living. The Canada section over there is dead.....

BlackDog204 Oct 26, 2023 4:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 10067561)
very familiar with the 2 forums newwinnipeg died cause the owner didnt have time to admin it and changed direction on focusing on the webhosting end of his buisness thats where the mutiny happend the sandbox was born out of that

I remember the events leading up to the mutiny much differently. For one thing, the forum was still very popular when the mutiny took place in September 2008. It should be noted that the forum kept going until it was discontinued sometime in 2010-11. He had run for mayor in 1998, and had a negative run-in with the WPS in 2004, which he would not shut up about it for years. The owner (who incidentally was top moderator), would ban people for heated debate, and would actually change what people posted to fit his agenda. When others called him out on it, he banned more prolific posters.

Half of the most prolific forum members thought this was ridiculous, so they left in droves when the Sandbox was created as an alternative. As for newwinnipeg, by 2010 it was clearly dying out, as it may have been lucky to receive 20% of the traffic it once did just a couple of years prior. The hit to the owner's ego probably had as much to do with the forum shutting down, as his business, as he was extremely emotionally invested in the forum. At any rate, I don't even know if his web hosting company even exists anymore (unless the name was changed).