HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 2:06 PM
Site 8 Lives

Robson Square Renovations

Umbrella to cover robson square
'The Clam,' the brainchild of Premier Campbell, controversial addition to a city landmark

Miro Cernetig
Vancouver Sun

Monday, January 07, 2008

It's hard not to love Robson Square, that landmark of modernist concrete with a waterfall created by Arthur Erickson in the heart of downtown Vancouver. But our political leaders are aiming to improve upon the master architect's work.

Plans are now circulating inside the provincial cabinet to erect a giant wooden roof over the square. It's a secret project, being fast-tracked by Premier Gordon Campbell himself. Only a select few have yet seen it.

But if the provincial cabinet greenlights it, as it likely will in the next few days or weeks, it's going to be a controversial addition to the city skyline.

The artist's drawings I've seen bring to mind a giant wooden clamshell arching between the steps of the art gallery and Erickson's famous waterfall, covering Robson Street.

Truth be told, it also seems a bit like a giant outdoor skating arena, with a roof but no walls, suddenly going up in the middle of the city.

The skating rink, already on the site but underground and no longer used for skating, is to be refurbished. Looking up from its surface, people will see a complex sort of wooden latticework -- a design from northern Europe, I understand -- that you often see on large wooden buildings.

The premier's plan is to have the massive roof built by the 2010 Olympics, for celebrations during the Games. And -- here's where things get interesting -- keep "the clam" around permanently. It's hard to say whether this thing is a stroke of architectural brilliance or a disaster in the making.

It's always hard to predict response to such public projects. This may turn out to be our version of New York's Rockefeller Centre, a great urban square that also has a skating rink, or an eyesore.

But it might be a good idea to get this bold concept -- which won't come cheap, incidentally -- out for some public input. If built, this will change the look and feel of downtown Vancouver's skyline for years to come.

The premier's idea is primarily inspired by the Olympics. He wants to have a roofed public space -- another so-called Olympic livesite -- where the public will gather free of charge during the Games and watch events on giant screens and celebrate as a community. The idea -- also being worked on with the federal government -- is to perhaps link up similar venues set up in Toronto's Nathan Phillips Square, Parliament Hill, Montreal's Vanier Park and other similar locations around the country and province. CTV, the official broadcaster of the Olympics, would likely be in charge of the video feeds.

Another part of the plan, however, is business.

The province hopes to show the world a signature piece of "wood" architecture from Vancouver. This is a theme the province has been pushing hard, to try to stimulate sales and new markets for the beleaguered forestry industry. The B.C. pavilion being built near Tiananmen Square for the Beijing Olympics is going to have a massive wooden facade. A similar log house was a hit in Turin, Italy during the last Winter Olympics.

An even better idea -- I'd say it's the one that should go ahead even if the roof idea collapses -- is that the province will also set up a permanent Asia-Pacific centre on the edge of Robson Street. It will be near where the current Sears store is and is intended to be a high-tech centre to facilitate trade with Asia and build cultural and commercial ties across the Pacific. It's a wonder we don't already have such an institution given this province's links to Asia.

Still, erecting a massive wooden umbrella above Robson Square, despite some of its potential merits, also raises a lot of issues.

Will it detract from the wonderful design of Erickson? Robson Square is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Vancouver. Can engineers even build such a heavy structure on the current site? Will it attract the homeless, who want to get out of the winter's rain? And if we need an enclosed area for Olympics celebrations, can't we just save millions of dollars by putting up a temporary tent for a few weeks? Another thing you've got to wonder is whether such a massive structure can be built in time.

This giant roof, which would entail a major overhaul of Robson Square, would have to be approved by the province and then go through Vancouver's planning department and city council. Olympic organizing officials insist there would be enough labour to get the job done on an accelerated schedule, now that construction on Games venues is winding down. But it's anyone's guess if the city and province's bureaucrats, not always known for easy cooperation, could actually get this built in time for 2010.

mcernetig@png.canwest.com
© The Vancouver Sun 2008

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 4:51 PM
Big City Enthusiast

???

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 4:54 PM

Why not Glass?

I guess the forest industry promotion is the most obvious question, but wouldn't a unique and modern glass structure be more impressive? If you're going to go to all that trouble and expense, why block light with a wooden canopy?

Link to slideshow of incredible modern glass structure recently completed in DC. I've seen it in person and it's truly an incredible experience being underneath it.

Slideshow requires flash plug-in: http://www.npg.si.edu/exhibit/courty...slideshow.html

Here is a link to the page describing it: http://www.npg.si.edu/inform/courtyard.htm

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 5:06 PM
loafing in lotusland

"wonderful design of Erickson?"

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 5:28 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

*l* ^^^ that's what I was thinking.
While I respect Erickson and beleive some of his work is incredible, I also think he's overated, both Robson square and to a degree SFU are much better concepts on paper then reality. I do enjoy the MacMillan Blodel building though w/o interior columns it's a terrific building for those that work there.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 5:58 PM
菠蘿油

Quebec's politicians have also latched onto the idea of boosting the forestry industry through architecture. They want Montreal's new symphony hall to be built of wood and are even thinking of requiring the use of wood in all provincially-funded building projects.

BTW, am I the only one who finds this column to be very awkwardly written?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 7:08 PM
Site 8 Lives

Actually, I think it was quite well-written. Miro Cernetig is one of the top journalists in the city, and his column always has something interesting to say. Plus, he got the scoop on this before anyone else.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 7:17 PM

The Robson Square skating rink needs a revamp anyways - it's pretty well universally acknowledged that the skating rink and sunken plaza have failed as a public space. I think that's in large part because of the existing dark plexi umbrellas that screen any views of what lies below. If moving the canopy upwards into this clamshell allows more open vies into the sunken plaza, then I think it would certainly help the square.

I think this statement is a bit much "If built, this will change the look and feel of downtown Vancouver's skyline for years to come."

Despite the sunken plaza needing help, it sounds more like the clamshell would be built on the site of the grassy treed knoll. The same site that was proposed for a glass boxy retail pavillion several years ago.

Of course, after the Games, it's amphitheatre style and covered shelter would be adopted as the preferred site of Robson Square protests.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 7:23 PM
+

I like clams .

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
"wonderful design of Erickson?"
was thinking the exact same thing.

We cant get a soccer stadium done that would be PERFECT for Olympic celebrations and ceremonies, but we can come up with bonehead ideas like this. The only question remaining is whether or not they will bring in the toy Dinosaurs they were going to put in Stanley park (another dumb idea), to be on display under the "giant clam". Maybe the dinosaurs could have the Olympic mascots in their teeth to more suit the occasion.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 11:20 PM

i can't believe people don't like the waterfall building

sounds like an interesting idea

now if only we could get the city to celebrtae new years like even fricking edmonton has fireworks

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 12:42 AM

^I dont think anyone here has a problem with the supreme court building (the waterfall building). I think everyone has an issue with them saying that robson square is a wonderful design, as it is generally viewed as a failed space.

I personally think they should eliminate the entire sunken square and open up the whole space as a level public square... it would be much more functional

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 12:58 AM

they need to get rid of that druggie and rat hang out ie the clump of trees

only ever see junkies go up in there or rats

open it up and make it safer for everyone

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 2:31 AM

I once saw this MASSIVE rat run out of there across the plaza.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 2:36 AM

I read this in the paper today. I still don't know what to make of it. Like the article stated, it could end up absolutely awesome or ridiculously hideous.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 3:52 AM

Why don't they free up the whole square by getting rid of the courthouse part there and consolidate it somewhere else - or does that make too much sense? Make it into something like Pioneer Courthouse Square in Portland

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 4:01 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I just hope this roof thing won't turn out to be another Plaza of Nations.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
I read this in the paper today. I still don't know what to make of it. Like the article stated, it could end up absolutely awesome or ridiculously hideous.

Always the option to burn the fucker down.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 5:12 AM
Bridge Walker!

I'd really like to see a rendering of this puppy. I have a front row seat here and hope it's an interesting design. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not just a dumb idea.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkelley View Post
I'd really like to see a rendering of this puppy. I have a front row seat here and hope it's an interesting design. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not just a dumb idea.
Good, I can throw the Molotovs from your window or deck if the thing is a piece of shit.

As an Aside, Google spell checker thinks Molotov stands for demolition... I love it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver