PDA

View Full Version : Fargo-Moorhead developments information

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

UP Fargo
Jan 27, 2009, 4:49 PM
Is there a Panera in our future down in the Plains?:D

Nope, they tell me it's not possible with their distribution system.

wilson
Jan 27, 2009, 5:46 PM
Nope, they tell me it's not possible with their distribution system.

How do they explain having one here in St Cloud then? Only 2.5 hours, 160 miles away.

UP Fargo
Jan 28, 2009, 10:06 PM
How do they explain having one here in St Cloud then? Only 2.5 hours, 160 miles away.

I didn't get too far into it. They told me that we're too far from their distribution center in MSP to get fresh product daily.

F-Misthebest
Feb 2, 2009, 5:43 AM
Downtown Fargo won’t get 500 new housing units in five years, but ‘maybe we got something even better’
Fargo city officials set a goal in 2004 to add 500 new housing units in the city’s downtown in five years. They called the project “500 in Five.”
By: Helmut Schmidt , INFORUM

Fargo city officials set a goal in 2004 to add 500 new housing units in the city’s downtown in five years.

They called the project “500 in Five.”

If the measure is new construction, then even with a frenetic summer of construction ahead, the results fall short. There are perhaps 335 units if several planned projects come to fruition.

But if major housing rehabilitation projects are added, then nearly 650 new and improved apartments and condos are in the downtown housing mix.

Add a raft of new businesses to the equation, and officials say downtown has changed from neglected to neighborhood.

“We didn’t get all there,” said Senior Planner Bob Stein. “But when you look at the net effect, overall, maybe we got something even better.”

Dan Mahli, a senior planner for community development, said the area is now vibrant.

“There’s been a lot more happening downtown than people could have imagined,” he said. “I think it’s a success.”

Residents think so, too.

Retiree Joyce Peterson, an 11-year downtown resident, likes the bus service and mix of shops and restaurants.

“You have access to just about everything,” she said, as she walked down Broadway.

John Marks, co-founder and development director of Trollwood Performing Arts School, lives in a loft at 111 Roberts St.

Marks said the area’s diversity, art galleries and unique shops make it an exciting place.

“I think 10 years from now, people are going to be so proud of this downtown. … It’s going to rival anywhere in this United States as a cool place to live, and work and play,” Marks said.

City records are most complete for the Renaissance Zone, which encompasses a significant portion of the downtown’s core, but not all the outlying blocks.

Those records show a net gain of 235 new apartments and condos in the Renaissance Zone since 1984. But that’s if three projects, including the five-story Cityscapes complex on First Avenue North, are completed this year.

Adding housing rehab projects in the zone bring that total to 546 apartments and condos.

Outside the Renaissance Zone, the Willow Park apartments at 1102 1st Ave. N. have added 20 more units.

Mahli said two planned low-income housing projects will create 80 apartments this year to help replace units lost over the past few years and to address homelessness and other problems.

Thirty-seven units are to be built on the site of the old Union Storage building at 1026 NP Ave., and 43 units are planned at the site of the old Cooper Tire building at 414 11th St. N., he said.

The last three projects, if added to Renaissance Zone totals, brings the sum of new units downtown to 335, and the new and rehabbed housing total to 646, Mahli said.

Rehab math

In part, improving downtown housing was a process of addition by subtraction, Stein said.

Two rehab projects eliminated 108 hotel boarding rooms, Mahli said. At the Fargoan,

319 Broadway, 63 rooms were turned into 15 condominiums. The Hotel Donaldson’s 60 rooms were lost when it was gutted and remade into an upscale hotel with a restaurant and bar.

Other rehab projects didn’t add living spaces downtown, but made the old ones truly livable.

As an example, Stein points to the Graver Inn at 123 Roberts St., where Beyond Shelter rebuilt all 60 apartments. No units were added, but the old units are vastly improved, he said.

“Everyone has a right to safe and decent housing,” Stein said.

The investments often more than doubled the value of the buildings, Mahli said. As blight has been eliminated, downtown has taken on a different character, he said.

“It’s a neighborhood now. I don’t think people were talking about downtown as a neighborhood 10 years ago,” Mahli said. “I get the sense that people are pretty proud of our downtown.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Readers can reach Forum reporter Helmut Schmidt at (701) 241-5583

F-Misthebest
Feb 2, 2009, 5:49 AM
Corwin Toyota excited to unveil sparkling new store
Tim Corwin promises his new Fargo location is a little different from other auto dealerships. The new Corwin Toyota store opens Monday at 222 40th St. S.
By: Jon Knutson , INFORUM

Tim Corwin promises his new Fargo location is a little different from other auto dealerships.

The new Corwin Toyota store opens Monday at 222 40th St. S.

“You won’t find anything quite like it anywhere else,” said Corwin, president of Corwin Automotive Group.

The 66,500-square-foot store will replace Corwin Toyota’s existing Fargo location at 201 40th St. S., which has about 25,000 square feet.

The old location was built in 1980. Sales have skyrocketed since then, Corwin said.

“We need more space.”

The new store will have about 70 employees, up from about 50 at the current location, said Dan Wilson, vice president of Corwin Automotive Group.

Notable features of the building,

85 percent of which is heated by waste oil, include:

- A 30-stall service department, all with underground hoists.

- Comfortable seating, along with TVs and fireplaces.

- Upscale bathrooms with granite/marble countertops.

- Special waiting areas for teens and young children.

- A lot on which more than 400 new and used vehicles can be displayed.

- A self-service cafeteria offering snacks and refreshments.

Corwin officials are especially proud of the “truck lifestyle area” that features a rural landscape with a large tree and an operating windmill pumping water and other amenities.

“When people come into the store, usually the first thing they do is look at this and go, ‘Wow,’ ” Wilson said.

The rural landscape was created by SiteWorks Unlimited Inc. of West Fargo.

Corwin officials approached SiteWorks and said they “wanted a ‘wow’ thing for their showroom,” said Eric Binstock, owner of the West Fargo company.

Collecting the items used in the display took about three weeks, he said.

The old windmill came from Bowman, N.D., he said.

The Russian olive tree came from Glyndon, Minn., and has artificial leaves attached to it, Binstock said.

Russian olives often are seen in rural shelterbelts.

“We’re pretty proud of this. We think people will enjoy it,” said Binstock, whose wife, Jamie, also was involved in the project.

The new Fargo store is part of the Toyota company’s Image II store design.

So far, 146 dealers have enrolled in the store design program, with 56 projects completed, according to the toyotaimageusaii.com Web site.

The site includes images of some of the Image II stores around the country.

Toyota wants to increase the uniformity of its stores through the store design program, Corwin said.

Stores that participate in the program will receive more Toyotas to sell, he said.

Though auto sales are struggling nationwide, Corwin said his Fargo Toyota store enjoyed its best year ever in 2008.

The Fargo-Moorhead area’s economy is much stronger than the national economy, he said.

Corwin said he studied a number of Toyota stores nationwide and incorporated many of their features into the new Fargo store.

He declined to say what the project cost.

The current Corwin Toyota location eventually will become the home of Corwin Honda, now at 303 38th St., S. in Fargo.

The existing Corwin Toyota dealership will be extensively renovated before Corwin Honda moves in, which should happen sometime this year, Wilson said.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7483/newtoyotaonesr8.jpg

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2099/newtoyotatwopk2.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Readers can reach Forum reporter Jonathan Knutson at (701) 241-5530

F-Misthebest
Feb 5, 2009, 1:03 AM
ALLEGIANT LAUNCHES CONTEST TO GUESS NEWEST DESTINATION

February 4, 2009
<< Back to News & Statistics

ALLEGIANT AIR SELECTS FARGO FOR SERVICE TO A NEW SUNNY VACATION DESTINATION

Las Vegas-based airline Allegiant Air, today announces it will offer low-cost, nonstop flights from Hector International Airport to a soon-to be-announced new sunny vacation destination. Fargo is one of only 12 markets to receive the new nonstop service which will be announced officially Feb. 18.

“Fargo continues to be an outstanding market for Allegiant,” Maurice J. Gallagher Jr., Allegiant Air president & CEO, said. “We’re pleased to announce we will soon offer the community yet another low-cost, nonstop route. We are confident this new sunny destination will have great appeal.”

Allegiant is offering the community the chance to guess the destination Allegiant will be announcing on Feb. 18. The carrier’s “Guess Allegiant’s New Destination and Win!” contest can be found at www.allegiantair.com/contest Between Feb. 4 and 13, 2009, customers can enter their best guess. If the guess is correct, customers will be entered into a contest for a chance to win two roundtrip tickets to the new destination, or any Allegiant destination served from Fargo. One winner from each market will be chosen.

Allegiant began service out of Fargo Nov. 7, 2005 and currently offers low-cost, nonstop flights to Las Vegas, Orlando, Fla. and Phoenix-Mesa.

wilson
Feb 5, 2009, 6:27 PM
Any guesses? My money is Ft Lauderdale/West Palm Beach or San Diego.

Doc
Feb 5, 2009, 11:10 PM
I think that San Diego will be one of the places that goes to this new location. I guessed a city that is currently not on the map.

sodak
Feb 6, 2009, 3:55 PM
It's Los Angeles...

Sioux Falls Regional Airport Director Mike Marnach confirmed Thursday that the Los Angeles area would be Allegiant Air's new low-cost, nonstop destination being added in Sioux Falls.

Marnach said he suspected that Allegiant will fly into a smaller airport around L.A. Service will start around May 20 with two flights a week.

"It's a destination of unlimited opportunity for people who have never flown out of Sioux Falls to that (area)," he said. "It gives people an opportunity for someplace new to go on vacation."

Allegiant officials wouldn't confirm what destination will be added at the Sioux Falls airport and 11 other cities. The company officially will announce the new flights on Feb. 18 and is having a contest to guess the new destination.

The Los Angeles area would be the fourth vacation destination provided by the Las Vegas-based airline, which has been providing cheap flights out of Sioux Falls since May 2004.

"Sioux Falls continues to be an outstanding market for Allegiant," said Maurice J. Gallagher Jr., president and chief executive officer. "We are confident this new sunny destination will have great appeal."

Although other airlines are losing money because of the recession, Allegiant Air posted profits during all of 2008, said Sabrina LoPiccolo, airline public relations manager.

In Sioux Falls, Allegiant passenger boarding numbers for January were 5,333, compared to about 5,170 in January 2008, Marnach said. There were 6,195 departing passengers in December, boosted by holiday traffic.

"They have the right pricing that everybody likes," Marnach said. "It tends to bring people into a flying personality. It gives them a good attitude to take a trip."

Mark Sixel, an Oregon-based aviation consultant for Sioux Falls, said California has strong tourist and business demand in areas such as San Francisco, L.A. and San Diego.

"They are really going after the niche that, for so long, has been ignored - leisure passengers in price-sensitive communities," Sixel said.

Hal Wick, Sioux Falls Airport Authority board chairman, said he was excited by the prospect of new flights to the Los Angeles area and hoped that would lead competitors to drop their prices.

"If competition will help by lowering fares, we'll attract more people to our airport, and it will bring more people through our airport," Wick said.

Allegiant officials told investors last fall that New York City, Myrtle Beach, S.C., Oakland, Calif., and Los Angeles were among several potential new destinations for the airline. Sixel envisions New York being added at Sioux Falls next year.

Reach reporter Melanie Brandert at 977-3926.

F-Misthebest
Feb 7, 2009, 6:49 AM
Sandella's Flatbread Cafe to open in mid-March
A Fargo company plans to open the area’s first Sandella’s Flatbread Café in mid-March. The casual restaurant will be at 1414 12th Ave. N. across from the North Dakota State University library.
By: Craig McEwen and Tracy Frank , INFORUM

A Fargo company plans to open the area’s first Sandella’s Flatbread Café in mid-March.

The casual restaurant will be at 1414 12th Ave. N. across from the North Dakota State University library.

Menu items at Sandella’s include flatbread quesadillas, pizza, wraps and paninis.

HacDella’s LLC has signed a franchise agreement with Sandella’s Flatbread, which has headquarters in West Redding, Conn.

“We feel this location will provide excellent exposure for our first store, with additional stores in development for other areas in the metro market as well as Grand Forks and Bismarck,” said Nick Hacker, president of HacDella’s.

Doc
Feb 8, 2009, 1:54 AM
It's in the Inland Empire (San Bernadino). Definitly not LAX, and not in L.A. (or they would have said "L.A." and not "Los Angeles area." Still good news.

F-Misthebest
Feb 8, 2009, 4:13 PM
I took a little drive yesterday and noticed some projects. La quinta hotel has all the framing up, cornerstone bank is done, liberty square is adding, taco johns is going up in up, and near j.t.cigaro I believe some new asian restaurant is going up.

NanoBison
Feb 8, 2009, 6:16 PM
For those of you that want to know what's happening out at Urban Plains, I just started a new blog at www.upfargo.com/blog. Let me know if I can answer any questions regarding what's going on. I'll try to keep as much information out there as possible. We'll have some news regarding the proposed pool very soon!

Welcome to the boards UP Fargo.

I just a had a few questions (ok I lied, more than a few) for you.

Is the current urban plains project now half the size that it originally was? I thought at some point it was around 640 acres (encompassing all four quadrants of land around 32nd Ave S.)?

I also remember talk of a senior community going in there with a residential tower? Is that still going to happen? Is most of the development contingent on the 9th St/I-94 interchange being finished?

When is residential building going to start?

Are there any plans for some high density buildings (high-rises)?

Are you trying to attract any new retail and eateries that the Fargo-Moorhead area doesn't currently have?

Nano

LMich
Feb 8, 2009, 10:57 PM
Hey,

I just want to remind, you guys, that when posting a media article, that you also include a link to the article in your post. Thanks.

UP Fargo
Feb 9, 2009, 7:15 PM
Welcome to the boards UP Fargo.

I just a had a few questions (ok I lied, more than a few) for you.

Is the current urban plains project now half the size that it originally was? I thought at some point it was around 640 acres (encompassing all four quadrants of land around 32nd Ave S.)?

That's correct, Ace Brandt and his brother originally planned on developing the section together but have since decided to develop separately. They're on great terms, just had a different vision for the area.

I also remember talk of a senior community going in there with a residential tower? Is that still going to happen? Is most of the development contingent on the 9th St/I-94 interchange being finished?

There were talks with Bethany until they went farther east. There are ongoing talks for residential towers with a mix of condos/apts.

The West side of the development will benefit greatly from the opening of the new overpass. We are more focused on developing East to West at this point.
When is residential building going to start?

I'm crossing my fingers for this summer. We're getting close to our first upscale apartment/condo deal.

Are there any plans for some high density buildings (high-rises)?

Yes, start will be market driven.

Are you trying to attract any new retail and eateries that the Fargo-Moorhead area doesn't currently have?

Yes, which ones do you want?! We want to be an asset to the area, we want to bring in those attractions that Fargo doesn't have yet and we all want.

Nano

Doc
Feb 9, 2009, 11:58 PM
As unlikely as it might be I would love to see a Trader Joes and a Costco here. As for eateries, a Chipotle, any sort of breakfast place that opens before 10 a.m. might be nice. I know I'm a one-note horn here (Panera, etc.), but I really think that some sort of upscale breakfast cafe/bakery would shake the place up.

F-Misthebest
Feb 10, 2009, 3:24 AM
MAT Ridership Up 23%

Feb. 9: Despite a substantial drop in fuel prices toward the end of 2008, more and more locals are turning to Metro Area Transit for transportation.The latest year end numbers for 2008 show that ridership increased by nearly 317,000 (23%) over 2007, totaling 1,691,214. MAT attributes this increase in part to residents turning to public transit in an effort to reduce their spending, Meritcare paying for employees to ride the bus and a growing number of college students riding the bus.

http://apps.cityoffargo.com/newsevents.asp?id=1676

ww6789
Feb 10, 2009, 5:38 AM
"They're on great terms, just had a different vision for the area." -- I bet one loves Taco Bell and the other favors Taco Johns. It is very disappointing to see Mexican Village and Taco Johns -- mediocre-at-best food that Fargo already has.

Fargo needs more quality restaurants and grocery options. Trader Joes and Whole Foods would be nice. Kroger would be a big improvement over the local grocery stores. Many people prefer Costco over Sams. Restaurants -- Longhorn Steakhouse, On the Border, Fuddruckers.

Will

Pappy2000
Feb 10, 2009, 6:09 AM
I myself have an affinity for something spicier. It's time that this area gets past the steak and potatoes, the standard Chinese buffet and the standard fast food.

I'd like to see a Popeye's Fried Chicken and a Joe's Crab Shack.

I also would like to see more largescale community projects like the UP Center and the proposed Aquatics Center. How about a large scale quality indoor water park similar to those being built in the Wisconsin Dells area, such as the Kalahari. The water parks that are currently in this town are a joke. Ramada has a pool with a 10' slide and pass it off as a water park. This insults my intelligence, and I think this area is prime since we have these long winters with no escape locations close by.

All in all, I am excited about what's being done in that area.

ww6789
Feb 10, 2009, 10:50 AM
Just more evidence of Fargo's terrible lack of progress in the restaurant arena. Notice the comments following the article -- there are some good suggestions for new restaurants. People are getting fed-up with the lack of food choices in Fargo/Moorhead. For a metro area this size, we probably have the worst restaurant options in this country.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/230550/

Published February 10 2009

Up the Creek to reopen as Applebee’s

Less than a year after opening, Up the Creek Grill, Seafood and Steaks in south Fargo has closed.
The restaurant will transition into an Applebee’s by mid-March, a business owner said Monday.
The restaurant at 2350 45th St. S. in Fargo had “no other choice” than to reopen as a different franchise, said Chief Executive Officer Abe Sakak.
The restaurant, operated by Food Management Investors of Minot, N.D., has three Applebee’s restaurants and two Village Inn restaurants in Fargo-Moorhead.
Up the Creek opened in March 2008. At the time, Sakak said he was looking forward to “filling the niche for great seafood with a wonderful atmosphere.”
The restaurant planned to hire more than 100 employees, according to Forum archives.
All Up the Creek franchises are being closed or converted into new restaurants, Sakak said.
Employees from the seafood restaurant are training at Fargo’s three Applebee’s locations so they will be ready for the opening of the new franchise.
Tags: restaurants,news,fargo

Recent Comments
If you feel a comment violates the terms listed below please choose the report violation link associated with the offending comment and file a report.

Pat K.
Fargo, ND 02/10/2009 4:29 AM
Not another Applebees! Please everyone -- don't give them your money. Hopefully they'll go out of business and Fargo will get a good, new restaurant instead of a terrible place we already have.

Report a Violation
ethan o.
Fargo, ND 02/10/2009 4:16 AM
My son used to work at Applebees and believe me, I won't eat there. Haven't been to one for several years!!! Everything on the menue is pre packaged and microwaved. What ever happened to home cooked food? I think another Olive Garden would be a great Idea. Since none of the other franchises seem to want to open a resturant here.

Report a Violation
Francis S.
Moorhead, MN 02/10/2009 2:22 AM
The company opening yet another Applebee's should seriously take another look at the area and maybe consult with the public for ideas as to what type of restaurants would be patronized by the public.I for one would like to see something more than the usual corporate meal options, I mean they could always open a Red Robin, or a type of restaurant that is different. I would suggest maybe a Cracker Barrel restaurant as an alternative to the same old food in this area. I for one would frequent this type of establishment.

Report a Violation
Brandon F.
Moorhead, MN 02/10/2009 1:55 AM
I ate at Up the Creek. It wasn't anything special. Considering all the choices . . . Joe's Crab Shack, The Melting Pot, Cheescake Factory, PF Changs, Bubba Gump's, White Castle, In & Out Burger, Sonic, Red Robin Burger, Maggianos Little Italy, plus more . . . . . no wait lets open another Applebees.

Report a Violation
Chad H.
Moorhead, MN 02/10/2009 1:38 AM
Not surprised that Up the Creek didn't work out. Just not a market for that in this region. Seriously, another Applebee's?? How many does this town need? Would prefer something that isn't already here. Just a thought.

Report a Violation
Tamz W.
Moorhead, MN 02/10/2009 1:27 AM
Oh come on, not another stupid Applebees! We have a million of them already! The way this town is going, it is going to push people out of the area. No one wants to live in an area where the only choices are Wal-Mart, Applebees, Marcus and McDonalds. We need to do something for these other businesses coming to town! What do I have to do? Move in order to have a choice anymore?

Report a Violation
Lenny T.
Fargo, ND 02/10/2009 1:13 AM
I like Applebees and it'll be in a area where Fargo is growing. I wish them well.

Report a Violation
Jami G.
West Fargo, ND 02/10/2009 12:22 AM
Oh great! Just what we need in this town, another Applebees. Aren't the other 3 already more than enough.

Report a Violation

lifelong fm
Feb 10, 2009, 3:58 PM
UP Fargo, a follow up question for you.
You mentioned there are some preliminary plans for high density high rises but the market will dictate when they may go forward. Are any of those high rises planned for downtown, specifcially by the Civic Center next to the river?

F-Misthebest
Feb 10, 2009, 5:19 PM
I myself have an affinity for something spicier. It's time that this area gets past the steak and potatoes, the standard Chinese buffet and the standard fast food.

I'd like to see a Popeye's Fried Chicken and a Joe's Crab Shack.

I also would like to see more largescale community projects like the UP Center and the proposed Aquatics Center. How about a large scale quality indoor water park similar to those being built in the Wisconsin Dells area, such as the Kalahari. The water parks that are currently in this town are a joke. Ramada has a pool with a 10' slide and pass it off as a water park. This insults my intelligence, and I think this area is prime since we have these long winters with no escape locations close by.

All in all, I am excited about what's being done in that area.

They're building a waterpark in the new Hilton Garden Inn and Suites. It's called Aqualand i believe and it will have a retractable roof for the summer.

Pappy2000
Feb 10, 2009, 11:42 PM
Aqualand 17000 square feet. In contrast Canad Inn waterpark in Grand Forks is 40000 square feet, the same size as the one planned in Bismarck. I think Fargo can do better than that, at the size of this town and the amount of traffick that passes through here, we need something that says stay in Fargo. This town is growing, I just fear were growing in the midwest cookie cutter style and are not creating a unique identity that we're capable of. How does that addage? If you build it they will come...well look at the UP Center (I love it..attend many games), look at the FargoDome, putting people in the seats...Look at the Airport, Thriving beyond all comprehension, but yet we still have not identity that says Fargo.

Waterparks are just an idea, but I think this town needs to build something on a scale that tells the rest of the world we're here, similar to what they did in St. Loius when they built the arch.

Just my thoughts.

F-Misthebest
Feb 11, 2009, 2:30 AM
I definitley agree with you. The only thing we have remotely personal is the Fargo Theatre. We do need something on the grander scale.

In response to the Applebee's replacing Up the Creek, that sucks. I agree with most of the people who said we don't need a fourth Applebee's in town. It totally should be a Red Robin or Romanos Macaroni Grill or PF Changs. I hope it they will come in time but I'd rather it be sooner than later.

lifelong fm
Feb 12, 2009, 2:26 AM
ok, so I might not be in the club here but I have a shout out for Moorhead. The city desperately needs a decent restaurant. I am hoping that something happens on the east side near the new 34th street interchange. I truly believe a "good" restaurant would do well since there is nothing in the area to compete with. Just a thought.

ww6789
Feb 12, 2009, 6:04 AM
ok, so I might not be in the club here but I have a shout out for Moorhead. The city desperately needs a decent restaurant. I am hoping that something happens on the east side near the new 34th street interchange. I truly believe a "good" restaurant would do well since there is nothing in the area to compete with. Just a thought.

Moorhead is a restaurant dead zone -- especially for a town right on a major interstate.

NysOne
Feb 12, 2009, 3:43 PM
I'd love a Jason's Deli...we had one if Fort Worth, TX and they had great quality healthy food & a great salad bar. Nothing upscale...just healthy & affordable & family friendly.

UP Fargo
Feb 12, 2009, 5:37 PM
UP Fargo, a follow up question for you.
You mentioned there are some preliminary plans for high density high rises but the market will dictate when they may go forward. Are any of those high rises planned for downtown, specifcially by the Civic Center next to the river?

I honestly don't know if there are plans for downtown high rises. We don't have any plans in that area. I moved away after college and came back in July to work with Urban Plains Land Company, it's amazing what has happened downtown. What a great change. We want to do a few high rises if the market will allow. We'll do a study on the first one very soon.

F-Misthebest
Feb 12, 2009, 10:32 PM
So i went down 45th street and on the southwest side of 45th street and 32nd avenue there's a large trailer with the sign saying "Brandt Crossing" lots for sale. UP Fargo, is that part of the brothers phase and if so, when is ground going to break?

btw, Wal-Mart supercenter is really coming along as well as Microsoft addition, and Trollwood is looking really good.

Doc
Feb 13, 2009, 3:04 PM
Ushers House--not bad
J. Alexanders--also not bad
Juanos Latin Bar--not a big selection, but pretty good as well.
Thai Orchid--actually quite good since they revamped their menu.

Moorhead needs greater variety, no doubt, but they aren't completely devoid of decent restaurants.

Did anyone read the review of the new steakhouse in the Forum. Apparently the food is really good (if pricey).

ww6789
Feb 13, 2009, 5:43 PM
The Forum seems to never give a bad restaurant review -- it usually comes across as free advertising. I haven't been to Normans yet. Pricey doesn't always mean good. And at Norman's prices, they better be really good.

Does anyone have a personal Norman's review?

F-Misthebest
Feb 14, 2009, 1:36 AM
Aquatics center plans move forward
Plans are moving ahead for a privately funded aquatics center in south Fargo’s Urban Plains development. The community group behind the push for the new facility announced Monday that it has hired Aquatics Programming of Colorado Springs, Colo., to conduct a feasibility study in March.
By: By Heath Hotzler , INFORUM

Plans are moving ahead for a privately funded aquatics center in south Fargo’s Urban Plains development. The community group behind the push for the new facility announced Monday that it has hired Aquatics Programming of Colorado Springs, Colo., to conduct a feasibility study in March.

“They will come and take a look at the population of the area, its demographics and evaluate the target market,” Urban Plains Aquatics board member Jeff Steele said Monday. “They have told us it looks feasible at first glance. They have told us that (an aquatics center) is something we probably need.”

The feasibility study, which Steele said will be jointly paid for through private funds and a grant from Dakota Medical Foundation, will be completed in four to six weeks.

Steele said the cost of the study is less than $20,000.

Detailed plans for the aquatics center could begin to take shape when the study in finished.

However, UP Aquatics has an extensive wish list.

Steele said the aquatics center ideally would be built across the street from the Urban Plains Center hockey arena. The buildings could be connected by an underground tunnel, Steele said.

The aquatics center and UP Center could also save thousands of dollars a year on energy costs by making use of the geothermal wells already in place at the Urban Plains development.

Matt Baasch, a real estate developer for Urban Plains Development, is a member of the UP Aquatics board.

However, Steele said there have been no discussions with Urban Plains officials about the cost of land for the proposed project.

Steele said the aquatics center would likely include a 50-meter competitive pool, a pool for swimming lessons and a rehabilitation pool. Plans for a separate diving well have been scrubbed, Steele said.

The primary tenants for the aquatics center would be West Fargo Public Schools, West Fargo’s club teams and hospital rehabilitation programs, Steele said.

Fargo Public Schools could rent the facility for larger meets.

However, Fargo will have plenty of competitive swimming space with the addition of Davies High School, activities director Ed Lockwood said.

“Would we use it?” Lockwood said. “If it was there, we would find a way to use it.”

Fargo eye surgeon Lance Bergstrom, who has spearheaded the drive to bring an aquatic center to the area, said the study could be a major step toward breaking ground on the project.

“There is definitely a need,” Bergstrom said. “The question is: How does this thing work as a business? You can build it, but you have to be able to pay the bills. (The study) could help answer a lot of people’s questions. … The people involved need to see the numbers, so to speak.”

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/230544/

F-Misthebest
Feb 14, 2009, 1:46 AM
hey Smiley, do you know about anything with The Crossing project at the northeast corner of 45th street and 32nd avenue? Originally i thought you said there was a Pottery Barn or something like that.

UP Fargo
Feb 14, 2009, 3:28 PM
hey Smiley, do you know about anything with The Crossing project at the northeast corner of 45th street and 32nd avenue? Originally i thought you said there was a Pottery Barn or something like that.

That's the other half of the Brandt property. Ace's brother and Kevin Christianson of Property Resources Group have teamed up to develop the half section. They're doing quite a bit of single family housing, some higher density residential, and some commercial along 45th. I haven't seen a concept drawing but I would assume similar to Osgood.

UP Fargo
Feb 14, 2009, 3:34 PM
Aquatics center plans move forward
By: By Heath Hotzler , INFORUM

“They will come and take a look at the population of the area, its demographics and evaluate the target market,” Urban Plains Aquatics board member Jeff Steele said Monday. “They have told us it looks feasible at first glance. They have told us that (an aquatics center) is something we probably need.”

The feasibility study, which Steele said will be jointly paid for through private funds and a grant from Dakota Medical Foundation, will be completed in four to six weeks.

Steele said the cost of the study is less than $20,000.

Detailed plans for the aquatics center could begin to take shape when the study in finished.

However, UP Aquatics has an extensive wish list.

Steele said the aquatics center ideally would be built across the street from the Urban Plains Center hockey arena. The buildings could be connected by an underground tunnel, Steele said.

The aquatics center and UP Center could also save thousands of dollars a year on energy costs by making use of the geothermal wells already in place at the Urban Plains development.

Matt Baasch, a real estate developer for Urban Plains Development, is a member of the UP Aquatics board.

However, Steele said there have been no discussions with Urban Plains officials about the cost of land for the proposed project.

Steele said the aquatics center would likely include a 50-meter competitive pool, a pool for swimming lessons and a rehabilitation pool. Plans for a separate diving well have been scrubbed, Steele said.

The primary tenants for the aquatics center would be West Fargo Public Schools, West Fargo’s club teams and hospital rehabilitation programs, Steele said.

Fargo Public Schools could rent the facility for larger meets.

However, Fargo will have plenty of competitive swimming space with the addition of Davies High School, activities director Ed Lockwood said.

“Would we use it?” Lockwood said. “If it was there, we would find a way to use it.”

Fargo eye surgeon Lance Bergstrom, who has spearheaded the drive to bring an aquatic center to the area, said the study could be a major step toward breaking ground on the project.

“There is definitely a need,” Bergstrom said. “The question is: How does this thing work as a business? You can build it, but you have to be able to pay the bills. (The study) could help answer a lot of people’s questions. … The people involved need to see the numbers, so to speak.”

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/230544/

I saw McFeely's article about feasibility studies on his blog. The thing with these studies is that you need them to get donations and investors. This company will look at the FM area and determine if there is a need, who are the possible users, how this can cash flow, and size/layout/programming of the pools. The company we hired (I'm on the Urban Plains Aquatics board) has done these studies all over the country and have pools that are making money that they can point to as examples. And the price will be more along the $10,000 range.

I'm sure a lot of people will ask about the waterpark side, what I hear from the swim industry is that they don't work financially unless they're attached to a hotel. We definately want a real waterpark at UP, and we'll work with hotels and investors that have the capability.

F-Misthebest
Feb 15, 2009, 11:30 PM
Roosevelt meeting to look at analysis of housing in area
Residents of north Fargo’s Roosevelt neighborhood are invited to meet Tuesday to get a look at a detailed analysis of housing, retail and commercial properties in their area and to start work on updating the neighborhood plan.
By: Helmut Schmidt , INFORUM

Residents of north Fargo’s Roosevelt neighborhood are invited to meet Tuesday to get a look at a detailed analysis of housing, retail and commercial properties in their area and to start work on updating the neighborhood plan.

Fargo officials will make their presentation at 7 p.m. in the Roosevelt Elementary School community room, 1026 10th St. N.

Included will be:

E A review of the neighborhood plan approved in 2004.

E A look at land uses in the area, including an analysis of the distribution of single-family homes, multifamily housing and rental properties.

E An analysis of the quality of the area’s housing stock.

There’s been a significant shift from owner-occupied single-family homes to rental housing in the area over the past decade, which has led to increased blight, neighborhood residents and city officials have said.

Planner and Zoning Administrator Mark Williams said city officials will offer ideas to protect and improve the neighborhood’s single-family housing stock, and improve housing for students from North Dakota State University.

Ken Enockson, president of the Roosevelt Neighborhood Association, said the group wants a consensus on how to zone for the area and to improve the existing growth plan.

“It’s just really a baseline, if you will, for the city if they receive a request from developers who want to put in certain types of development” that may not adhere to the guidelines for the area, he said.

It’s the first of four meetings planned, Enockson said.

“We’re going to start the conversation that night,” with each meeting building on the previous meeting’s work, he said.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/231099/

F-Misthebest
Feb 15, 2009, 11:34 PM
Final phase of Moorhead redevelopment to start
Construction on the final phase of a major redevelopment of downtown Moorhead is expected to start early this spring.
By: Dave Olson , INFORUM

Construction on the final phase of a major redevelopment of downtown Moorhead is expected to start early this spring.

Planners hope Riverfront Apartments, a 52-unit complex, will be completed by spring 2010.

The building will go up next to the Main Avenue bridge, approximately where the Sportland sporting goods store once stood, said Peter Doll, development services manager for the city of Moorhead.

Soil borings indicate that the ground is mildly contaminated with a variety of chemicals, including petroleum and mercury, and the excavation will have to be monitored, Doll said.

It’s believed the tainted soil was hauled in as fill during the building of Sportland, so the location of the contaminated soils is patchy and random, he said.

He said about 5,000 cubic yards of affected soil will be removed from the site, with most of it expected to become cover material at the Clay County landfill, which Doll said is a permitted use for soil deemed to be slightly contaminated.

An environmentally acceptable back-up use for the soil would be to use it as fill when roadways are raised as part of a flood-control project planned for Oakport Township, Doll said.

Much of the estimated $180,000 cost of the site cleanup will be borne by a $134,700 state grant.

To offset the remaining cost, as well as other unexpected expenses being borne by the developer – Sterling Cos. – the city of Moorhead is extending a sales tax deduction valued at $50,000.

It will apply to the purchase of building materials, Doll said.

The city is also allowing the developer to purchase less land, about 9,000 square feet, than originally agreed upon, dropping the total price from an estimated $262,700 to about $217,700.

Soil contamination issues that affected earlier phases of redevelopment, much of it stemming from former dry cleaning and service station operations, have been dealt with, according to Doll, who said the overall pace of downtown redevelopment appears to have been appropriate.

He said the vacancy rate of housing rentals in the redevelopment area is less than 1 percent, compared to about 5 percent for the city in general.

Doll said the makeup of the population living downtown ranges from college students and college professors to seniors living on their own.

“That’s an indication of a successful downtown,” Doll said.

Kevin Bartram, president of Sterling Cos. and Mutchler Bartram Architects, is pleased with the overall redevelopment.

“It has gone very well,” he said. “We started on the project in late 2004 and it was always intended to be phased. Demand has shifted the marketing focus from condominiums to apartments, he said.

People appear to like living downtown, he said.

“I’m just amazed that with 69 apartments over there right now, how few cars there are.

“That’s kind of the downtown thing,” Bartram said. “There are a lot more people riding bike and walking and riding buses and a lot fewer people driving.”

Readers can reach Forum reporter Dave Olson at (701) 241-5555

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/231115/

F-Misthebest
Feb 16, 2009, 12:49 AM
i was looking on the property resources group website and the second phase of liberty square that's currently under construction will be anchored by the Pizza Ranch

ww6789
Feb 16, 2009, 12:25 PM
i was looking on the property resources group website and the second phase of liberty square that's currently under construction will be anchored by the Pizza Ranch

Pizza Ranch might have been a respectable strip mall anchor 30 years ago. It's too bad we are not seeing that a quality establishment like Panera Bread or Chipotle is the anchor. This just reinforces the regressive North Dakota mentality. Pizza Ranch may look right at home in Dilworth, but it is definitely not what a wannabe progressive South Fargo needs. Why don't these developers work to bring in restaurants that are on a fairly common and agreed-upon wishlist? They seem to take the path of least resistance and end up catering to the least sophisticated palate.

UP Fargo
Feb 16, 2009, 6:50 PM
Pizza Ranch might have been a respectable strip mall anchor 30 years ago. It's too bad we are not seeing that a quality establishment like Panera Bread or Chipotle is the anchor. This just reinforces the regressive North Dakota mentality. Pizza Ranch may look right at home in Dilworth, but it is definitely not what a wannabe progressive South Fargo needs. Why don't these developers work to bring in restaurants that are on a fairly common and agreed-upon wishlist? They seem to take the path of least resistance and end up catering to the least sophisticated palate.

Who do you want? We're working on it. We want Urban Plains to have those options. It's difficult here in Fargo with our distance to those corporate owned restaurants distribution centers and nearest restaurants. I've talked with Chipolte and Panera and they both have in interest in Fargo but don't think it's feasible at this time to get fresh food with their current distribution system. It might take local chefs and restaurateurs to fill that niche in Fargo.

wilson
Feb 16, 2009, 7:16 PM
Who do you want? We're working on it. We want Urban Plains to have those options. It's difficult here in Fargo with our distance to those corporate owned restaurants distribution centers and nearest restaurants. I've talked with Chipolte and Panera and they both have in interest in Fargo but don't think it's feasible at this time to get fresh food with their current distribution system. It might take local chefs and restaurateurs to fill that niche in Fargo.

Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Delish.

F-Misthebest
Feb 16, 2009, 7:39 PM

Red Robin
Romano's Macaroni Grill
Outback
Boston Market
Sonic
Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
Buca di Beppo
Cracker Barrel
Dave and Busters
Fuddruckers
Joes Crab Shack
Noodles and Company
Old Spaghetti Factory
PF Changs
Potbelly Sandwich Works
White Castle

Just to name a few...:cool:

ww6789
Feb 16, 2009, 10:53 PM
One more to add -- Longhorn Steakhouse -- better than Normans and half the price. And more -- On the Border, Cheesecake Factory.

And how in the heck did Cracker Barrel skip over Fargo and land in Bismarck?

ww6789
Feb 16, 2009, 11:10 PM
Red Robin
Romano's Macaroni Grill
Outback
Boston Market
Sonic
Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
Buca di Beppo
Cracker Barrel
Dave and Busters
Fuddruckers
Joes Crab Shack
Noodles and Company
Old Spaghetti Factory
PF Changs
Potbelly Sandwich Works
White Castle

Just to name a few...:cool:

If only we had half of these in Fargo.

fargomike
Feb 17, 2009, 6:28 AM
I don't know whether you guys saw this info in the Forum either when I was working on the liquor license issue a year or two ago or more recently in the trade talk column, but in case you didn't I'm opening one of the largest billiard parlors in the country in Fargo. I know of only one with more tables, and I know of none with more square feet. It will be very different from anything this state has ever seen. In fact it will nearly be very different from anything any state has ever seen...

A year ago, there was only one BCA-certified instructor in North Dakota. Now there are four, and three of them will be teaching at the Fargo Billiard Academy. There will be significant effort to involve local employers with in-house pool leagues that specifically are designed for inexperienced players.

I just quit as an NDSU professor to do this.

I have been in well over a hundred billiard parlors in 30 states and three provinces during the last ten years.

Will be open around the end of May

Construction is underway on a 28,500 sf building at 3234 43rd St.
South (south side of 32nd Ave, a half mile east of the Urban Plains
hockey arena) that will house Fargo Billiards & Gastropub.

Fargo Billiards will have a full-service bar on a raised 3,000 sf
lounge area in the center that is surrounded by 56 pool tables
separated into neighborhoods. There will be low-volume blues and
acoustic music with occasional performers in the lounge area.

The Gastropub (gastro pub is a British term for a public house that
takes it's food more seriously than traditional "pub grub.") includes
a coffee bar and will offer breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus in a
dining area as well as service throughout the building and late night
fare. Wireless internet will be available throughout the building.

A new system of billiard team league play will be run in an area of
twenty tables specifically designed for this purpose. Leagues for
players at all levels will be available five evenings per week, with
multiple league divisions specifically catering to beginner players.

The Fargo Billiard Academy will have three certified billiard
instructors for regular classes, clinics, and private lessons for
beginner, intermediate, and advanced players. The main instructional
facility includes a pool table set up for video analysis in a large
conference-style room.

Three private rooms, each with leather living-room style seating, will
be available for private rental by groups. The 500 sf Feynman room
has one pool table. The 1,000 sf Payne and Twain rooms each have two
pool tables and are connected by a removable wall.

ww6789
Feb 17, 2009, 11:03 AM
Fargo Billiards and Gastropub -- sounds impressive. Keep us posted on the progress.

NanoBison
Feb 17, 2009, 8:20 PM
fargomike, excellent news. I wasn't even aware of the project. Any chance you've got any drawings or plans you could post for the place?

wilson
Feb 18, 2009, 5:34 PM
Allegiant Air just officially announced LA. Surprisingly, it's gonna be LAX.

ww6789
Feb 20, 2009, 2:17 PM
Anyone else enjoying Dunn Bros. coffee? They are promoting their 1 yr. anniversary. I have become a regular customer and I enjoy the daily variety of coffee they serve. The store-roasted beans are always fresh. The Wi-Fi is free and there are two public computers. Dunn Bros. was on one of the wishlists a while back, and I haven't noticed any comments since they have opened.

Doc
Feb 23, 2009, 3:47 AM
I love Dunn Brothers. I get most of my beans from them (I alternate with Stumbeano's when I can find them fresh).

I'm not so sure that I care about getting a Cracker Barrel here. There are probably one million of them in the U.S. I could definitely go for some of the other choices.

And what do you have against Norman's anyway?

F-Misthebest
Feb 25, 2009, 11:52 PM
yet another boring fast food restaurant is coming to town. one we already have four hundred of: Dairy Queen is going up at 4015 45th St S.

Pappy2000
Feb 26, 2009, 2:45 AM
That makes absolutely no sense. There's already a DQ on 45th and Amber Valley.

SmileyBoy
Feb 28, 2009, 9:02 PM
That makes absolutely no sense. There's already a DQ on 45th and Amber Valley.

Actually, it's almost 2 miles away from the one at Amber Valley. The new DQ is going up at Osgood, right next to Hornbachers and that fancy bank building.

F-Misthebest
Mar 6, 2009, 5:42 AM
A new Gateway in Dilworth
Paces Lodging building strip mall on old Archie’s site
A new 60,000-square-foot strip mall is taking shape along U.S. Highway 10 in Dilworth.
By: Craig McEwen, INFORUM

A new 60,000-square-foot strip mall is taking shape along U.S. Highway 10 in Dilworth.

Gateway Crossing is being built by Paces Lodging Corp. of Fargo on the site of the former Archie’s Bargains.

“We’re excited about it and anxious to see it completed,” said Dilworth City Administrator Ken Parke. “It’s at the entrance to our community on the west side.”

Anytime Fitness has a lease to locate as a business centerpiece on the building’s second floor, said Steve Iverson, Paces Lodging director of development services.

Store manager Courtney Payne confirmed that Anytime Fitness will move from its 3,500-square-foot Moorhead location at 2901 S. Frontage Road to the new location.

“As soon as it’s done, we’re moving,” said Payne, who added the new site will be 7,500 to 7,800 square feet.

The new site will offer more equipment and tanning services, and provide more mobility space, she said.

“Anytime Fitness hopes to be open on Aug. 1,” Iverson said.

Gateway Crossing will accommodate 12 to 50 tenants depending on their size, Iverson said.

“It will be a mix,” said Iverson, who expects restaurants and traditional retail-type stores to locate in the mall.

He said Property Re-sources Group is the marketing agent for tenants interested in moving into the mall.

Several other businesses have inquired about space available east of the new Dakota Boys and Girls Ranch Thrift Store, which opened earlier this year at 1500 Center Ave. in Dilworth.

“It seems like the stretch along Highway 10 is of interest to businesses,” Parke said. “We’re glad to see them set up shop in Dilworth.”

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6048/gatewaymall.jpg

Readers can reach Forum Business Editor Craig McEwen at (701) 241-5502

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/233086/

F-Misthebest
Mar 6, 2009, 3:44 PM
Work on senior living center River Pointe continues
A new senior living community is coming to Moorhead.
By: Tracy Frank, INFORUM

A new senior living community is coming to Moorhead.

Construction started on River Pointe of Moorhead in mid-October 2008. The

77-unit facility will offer independent- and assisted-living apartments, and memory care units for people with dementia.

River Pointe is owned by a group of investors and managed by Walker ElderCare Services, a Minneapolis-based for-profit member of Walker Methodist, a nonprofit organization that has provided housing and health care to seniors since 1945.

It is going up at 2401 11th St. S. in the Holiday Center near Courtyard by Marriott.

“There’s just so many convenient things located right there,” said Cathrine Bondhus, Walker Methodist corporate director of marketing. “We’ve had a fair number of people calling in already, even though we haven’t done any marketing yet. They are very excited about that location.”

The facility will open in the fall. An information center will open April 20.

“It’s been going really well other than the fact of the early cold snap,” said Brad Schoeppner, vice president of Schoeppner Inc. of Rochester, Minn., the general contractor on the project. “It’s been a little tougher winter conditions. We actually shut the job down for a month just because of the weather.”

Even so, the project is scheduled to be finished Oct. 1 as planned.

River Pointe will employ about 40 people.

The center will offer one- and two-bedroom apartments. Amenities will include a club room with television, salon, fitness center, library and Internet lounge, event center, art studio, game room, store, and planned activities.

Additional services, such as laundry services, personal pendant alarms and individually tailored health care will also be available.

A feasibility study showed more demand for a senior living community in the area than what the facility will be able to meet, Bondhus said.

Moorhead City Manager Michael Redlinger said the project is a good fit for the neighborhood.

“You’ll have some additional residential across the street from single-family homes, as well as commercial opportunities that are already within Holiday Mall,” he said.

Business profile

What: River Pointe of Moorhead

Managed by: Walker Methodist

Where: 2401 11th St. S., Moorhead

Online: www.riverpointemoorhead.com

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4034/riverpointone.jpg
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6987/riverpointthree.jpg
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7137/riverpointtwo.jpg

Readers can reach Forum reporter Tracy Frank at (701) 241-5526

F-Misthebest
Mar 6, 2009, 3:48 PM
February statistics at Hector rose again. A total of 54,629 people, about a 2000 person increase over last year. Year to date, there are 6000 more people this year than last year, a total of about 106,000 people already.

Doc
Mar 8, 2009, 3:21 PM
I thought this building was donated to to NDSU. (http://87stflats.com/) Which downtown building was recently donated, if not this one?

F-Misthebest
Mar 9, 2009, 5:13 AM
I think that one was purchased by T.L. Stroh Architects but I'm not entirely sure. I don't know which one was donated to NDSU

rrskylar
Mar 15, 2009, 3:40 PM
http://www.cityoffargo.com/Flood09/

Any concerns about the 2009 flood forecast?

F-Misthebest
Mar 17, 2009, 3:56 AM
North Fargo condos planned

Two local developers and the Fargo City Commissioner are betting that the site of several failed restaurants will be just the place to put 24 condominiums for northside empty-nesters.

The $5.22 million Meridian on Broadway project is planned to go up at 2828 Broadway – formerly the home of a string of restaurants including Yummy Kitchen and Randy’s Restaurant.

City Commissioners approved $714,525 in tax-increment financing (TIF) last week for developers Joshua Brekke and Bill Forbes.

The condos, to be finished in 2010, will be marketed to empty-nesters who want to stay on the north side of town, Forbes said.

The complex is planned to have 29 underground, and 19 above-ground parking spots, Brekke said.

The developers said two-bedroom condos will sell for about $200,000 each, and three-bedroom units may sell for $250,000 each.

The TIF money will be used to buy the land and write down its value, a nearly $219,000 cost. It will also be used to demolish the building, which was built in 1975 but now blighted ($225,000); engineering and architectural work ($140,000); landscaping, sidewalks, approaches, and drives ($96,500); and city fees ($34,025).

The city estimates the current value of the site as $280,000. Once completed, the value is expected to be nearly $4.8 million.

A payback analysis found that if cost and sales estimates hold true, the developers would lose nearly $675,000 without the help of a TIF district, a 7.5 percent loss. With the TIF, the analysis shows the developers would net nearly $292,000, a 6.5 percent profit.

Commissioner Dave Piepkorn said the building has “kind of struggled with many tenants,” and while the location may not work for a restaurant, being on a bus route near the Northport shopping center and MeritCare Hospital may make it a good fit for condominiums.

The commission voted 3-1 to create the TIF district. The TIF will last 10 years, during which time the development costs will be recouped by higher property tax receipts, city documents said.

Commissioner Mike Williams voted against the plan.

Williams said he believes other forms of aid to developers are more effective and bring in more tax revenue for the city and schools.

Forbes counters that the building and lot bring in $7,000 in taxes now, but will bring in about $100,000 a year when the project is done.

“That’s tax the city and the school district doesn’t have now,” Forbes said.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/234251/

F-Misthebest
Mar 19, 2009, 4:47 AM
http://www.cityoffargo.com/Flood09/

Any concerns about the 2009 flood forecast?

I'm not too concerned. I go to a school right on the river and so we'll get some days off so that's always good. I think the river will probably get really high though. my guess is around 37 or 38 feet.

F-Misthebest
Mar 20, 2009, 4:49 AM
Data: North Dakota, Fargo-Moorhead population growing
North Dakota’s largest cities and some of its smaller counties are growing, new census figures show. The state as a whole grew about 0.6 percent for the year ending last July.

North Dakota’s largest cities and some of its smaller counties are growing, new census figures show. The state as a whole grew about 0.6 percent for the year ending last July.

The population figures as of July 2008 showed the Fargo-Moorhead metropolitan area, with an estimated 195,684 people, up 2 percent from the year before.

That growth also shows up in the new Minnesota county population estimates. For the past few years the counties with the fastest growth rates have been between St. Cloud and Rochester, including the Twin Cites metro area.

This year the top three fastest growth rates were in Scott, Wright and Carver counties, but in fourth place was Clay County, which includes Moorhead.

While it had the smallest growth in the group in real terms - 1,172 people - its 2.1 percent annual growth rate was among the largest in the state for the year.

The Bismarck metropolitan area, including Burleigh and Morton counties, grew 1.7 percent during the same period, to an estimated 104,344.

The Grand Forks metro area, in Grand Forks County and Minnesota’s Polk County, reported a 0.5 percent increase, to an estimated 97,279 people in July last year, said the report released today.

The Census Bureau figures show Ward County grew by 39 people over the year, to 55,986. The “micropolitan” area that includes Ward, Renville and McHenry counties lost 58 people, dropping to an estimated 63,399, or a tenth of a percent.

The Wahpeton-Breckenridge area population dropped 1.2 percent, to an estimated 22,620.

North Dakota demographer Richard Rathge, the director of the state Data Center, said 18 of the state’s 53 counties gained people over the period. He said 55 percent of the population growth was in the eastern part of the state and 45 percent in the western part of the state.

“For a long time, it’s really the East that was growing. This is one of the few times that we actually see the distribution about the same,” Rathge said.

The county with the greatest change was Bowman, in the southwest corner of the state, with a 2.6 percent population increase to 3,019 as of July 2008, Rathge said.

Besides oil development, Bowman has benefited from a “pretty aggressive medical community and a pretty good recreational area,” Rathge said.

North Dakota as a whole grew to 641,481, “more than 3,500 folks,” for the year ending in July 2008, he said.

Minnesota State Demographer Tom Gillaspy also attributes the increase in the Fargo-Moorhead area to a booming economy driven by North Dakota oil and high prices for grains in late 2007 and early 2008 in the Red River Valley.

"The economy was clicking along pretty well, at least through 2008, in Clay County,' he said.

He also gave some of the credit to regional economic development polices that ignore state lines, and cooperation between higher education and business.

"I think that part of it is the colleges and universities that are working with businesses,' he said. "They are using each other's strengths.'

It's a recent growth spurt. Since 2000 the Clay County population has grown about 9 percent; 19 other Minnesota counties have grown faster.

Nationally, the figures show slower growth in such areas as Atlanta, Las Vegas, Phoenix and Tampa.

“That’s largely driven by housing and economics,” Rathge said. “Our state is buffered a bit by having a fairly robust economy, therefore we’re doing fairly well.”

Regional centers

The latest release from the U.S. Census Bureau shows that the populations of regional centers including Rochester, St. Cloud and Fargo-Moorhead continue growing at a quick pace, while some southern Minnesota cities are losing population.

Selected metro areas 2007 2008 Change

Duluth-Superior 273,757 274,571 0.3%

Fargo-Moorhead 191,930 195,685 2.0%

Fergus Falls 56,869 56,786 -0.1%

Grand Forks-EGF 96,781 97,279 0.5%

Minneapolis-St. Paul 3,197,620 3,229,878 1.0%

New Ulm 25,967 25,862 -0.4%

St. Cloud 185,543 186,954 0.8%

Wahpeton-Breckenridge 22,899 22,620 -1.2%

North Dakota 2007 2008 Change

Bismarck-Mandan 103,127 104,344 1.7%

Ward County 55,947 55,986 0.1%

Minnesota counties 2000 2008 Change
Becker 30,000 32,000 6.7%

Clay 51,229 55,767 8.9%

Mahnomen 5,190 5,128 -1.2%

Norman 7,442 6,605 -11.2%

Otter Tail 57,159 56,786 -0.7%

Polk 31,369 30,694 -2.2%

Wilkin 7,138 6,286 -11.9%

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/234537/

1ajs
Mar 20, 2009, 6:48 PM
I'm not too concerned. I go to a school right on the river and so we'll get some days off so that's always good. I think the river will probably get really high though. my guess is around 37 or 38 feet.
still ice on the river there?

rrskylar
Mar 26, 2009, 6:53 AM

Still not concerned?

1ajs
Mar 26, 2009, 10:48 PM
i just herd a dike went in moorhead they're evacing concordia

sodak
Mar 27, 2009, 1:39 AM
Hey fellas, here's hoping Fargo pulls through. Our thoughts and prayers are with you in Sioux Falls.

Archiseek
Mar 27, 2009, 2:41 AM
best of luck folks

Doc
Apr 2, 2009, 12:06 AM
We did a lot of sandbagging, but things look pretty good (for now).

Pappy2000
Apr 3, 2009, 2:33 AM
Original Posted on In-Forum.com.

Former Fargo resident Matt Chambers recently blogged about his experiences sandbagging. Using Google SketchUp, he put together some amazing visualizations that truly convey how many sandbags the community managed to fill in the span of a few short days. The blog post is pretty long, but its well worth the read.

Check out his great blog post on Concept3D. http://blog.concept3d.com/?p=433

Also, a new restaurant is getting ready to open in the old Mandarin Location across from West Acres. Kobe is a Japanese Steak and Teppanyaki restaurant with a full sushi bar. I spoke with the assistant manager the other day and he says they plan to open before the end of April. For those unfamiliar to Teppanyaki...think Benihana's.

Doc
Apr 6, 2009, 3:10 AM
Anyone know anything about the Drunken Noodle restaurant that looks like it might open (or is open) on NP Avenue downtown in the old Green Market space?

F-Misthebest
Apr 6, 2009, 4:39 AM
I was gonna post something about that. I noticed it today and I think it's opening soon.

sakie
Apr 10, 2009, 6:30 PM
Hi my name is Sara. Will this academy be open by June? My beloved has returned from Iraq a year ago after a 2 year deployment. One of my favorite things to do is to show him all the new venues Fargo and downtown has to offer. I have him hooked on Billiards on Broadway and the Force Hockey games:). He has hinted several times how he wished for Billiard lessons. His birthday is in June. I would love to find an instructor for his new passion. Do you offer lessons or will the facility offer lessons by mid - June?

Thank you!
Sara

F-Misthebest
Apr 17, 2009, 4:46 AM
i found more pictures of the new building downtown. they are from www.cityscapesdevelopment.com

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6564/downtownbuildings.jpg

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8489/downtownbuildings2.jpg

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4396/downtownbuildings3.jpg

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/663/downtownbuildings4.jpg

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/562/downtownbuildings5.jpg

Fargoclimber
Apr 19, 2009, 3:45 PM
Anyone know anything about the Drunken Noodle restaurant that looks like it might open (or is open) on NP Avenue downtown in the old Green Market space?

I ate lunch their a couple days ago. Fast service, really affordable($6-$8), and decent food. I had Cajun Chicken pasta and thought it was great. My buddy had shrimp primavera and wasn't quite as thrilled by it. Definitely a nice addition to downtown, though the interior could use a little decoration/design.

wilson
Apr 21, 2009, 7:01 PM
Hi my name is Sara. Will this academy be open by June? My beloved has returned from Iraq a year ago after a 2 year deployment. One of my favorite things to do is to show him all the new venues Fargo and downtown has to offer. I have him hooked on Billiards on Broadway and the Force Hockey games:). He has hinted several times how he wished for Billiard lessons. His birthday is in June. I would love to find an instructor for his new passion. Do you offer lessons or will the facility offer lessons by mid - June?

Thank you!
Sara

I drove by where it is going to be built (next to the ARC on 32nd Ave S). There is just a sign saying "Future Home of..." No activity yet. Maybe next June ;)

F-Misthebest
Apr 21, 2009, 8:33 PM
Road projects set for Fargo, West Fargo
Flooding delays work on two Work is still planned this year on three major road projects for the Fargo-West Fargo area.
By: Helmut Schmidt, INFORUM

Work is still planned this year on three major road projects for the Fargo-West Fargo area.

The projects, representing at least $36 million in work, are – in two cases – still delayed due to this spring’s flooding, Kevin Gorder, the Fargo District transportation engineer for the North Dakota Department of Transportation, said Monday.

Gorder said he hopes to have more construction dates firmed up for a news briefing today in Fargo.

The projects include:

E Building the Ninth Street East interchange and bridge over Interstate 94. The $10.7 million project is under way.

E Turning Fargo’s University Drive South between 40th Avenue and 52nd Avenue South into a five-lane urban road. The

$15 million project will begin when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers removes a temporary clay levee on the road that held back the Red River, Gorder said.

E Reconstructing and raising five miles of northbound Interstate 29 from County Road 20 to Harwood. The project, which will cost $10.5 million to $12 million, can begin once floodwaters recede, Gorder said.

About $3 million in road resurfacing is planned from Harwood to Exit 100 for north- and southbound I-29 lanes. In all, 31 miles of interstate will be improved, Gorder said.

In Fargo, work on the 12th Avenue North bridge has been ongoing. The $11.8 million project should be completed this year.

“That’s been a really nice project to keep plugging away on,” Gorder said. “It will be a nice improvement for the north side of town.”

The $10.8 million reconstruction of 12th Avenue North between I-29 and Ninth Street North began Monday, Gorder said.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/238026/

F-Misthebest
Apr 22, 2009, 11:58 PM
Development group plans to rehab downtown Fargo building into loft apartments
By: Helmut Schmidt, INFORUM

FARGO - Another building once considered an eyesore in downtown Fargo will likely soon have new life, this time holding a dozen loft apartments under its roof.

Sterling Development Group Nine plans to turn the former Fargo Mental Health Building at 506 Roberts St. N. into 12 loft apartments, said Kevin Bartram, a principal partner in MBA Development Co.

The $750,000 project on Wednesday received unanimous approval from the city’s Renaissance Zone Authority for $9,680 in property tax exemptions over five years, and up to $11,000 in income tax exemptions over five years.

The current value of the building and property is $136,000, city documents show.

Kevin Bartram, president of Sterling Cos. and Mutchler Bartram Architects, said at one time the building was being considered for office space. But, “there just seems to be a demand” for apartments downtown due to the amenities, he said.

That demand will likely be further fueled this fall with the opening of North Dakota State University’s downtown College of Business.

The building will get a new roof, new windows, a new north entrance stairway and ramp, repairs to the brickwork, new paved parking, landscaping and walks, documents show.

The interior will be gutted and the mechanical and electrical systems will be replaced, documents show.

Bartram said his firm hopes to complete the project by the end of summer.

“The investment is outstanding,” said Roger Gilbertson, chairman of the authority.

Near the building are two churches, a hospital, a theater, 12 restaurants, three bars, a bike shop, post office, bus route, coffee shop and several retail stores, Senior Planner Bob Stein said.

“Within a two-block area, this building has virtually everything,” Stein said.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/238151/

Doc
Apr 23, 2009, 3:51 AM
I ate lunch their a couple days ago. Fast service, really affordable($6-$8), and decent food. I had Cajun Chicken pasta and thought it was great. My buddy had shrimp primavera and wasn't quite as thrilled by it. Definitely a nice addition to downtown, though the interior could use a little decoration/design.

Thanks for the report. Last night I had the drunken noodles (not hot until you bite into the jalapeno slices and then watch out) and the tomato soup. The soup was so-so, but I really liked the noodles. It was enough for two people and 11 bucks total (with two waters). I actually think it looks kind of funky eclectic and warmer than when it was the Green Market. I think it will actually do pretty well (especially if they add about 5 more dishes or so).

F-Misthebest
May 3, 2009, 6:00 PM
Fargo ranks 15th for doing business
By: Craig McEwen and Tracy Frank, INFORUM

Fargo has been ranked No. 15 on a “Best U.S. Cities for Doing Business” list.

NewGeography.com in connection with Forbes published the article last week.

NewGeography.com is published by Delore Zimmerman, president of Praxis Strategy Group, a Grand Forks, N.D.-based community strategy and analysis company.

NewGeography.com Executive Editor Joel Kotkin and Michael Shires, associate professor of public policy at Pepperdine University, compiled the list.

“This year you can barely find a fast-growing economy anywhere in this vast, diverse country. In 2008, 2 percent growth qualifies you as a veritable boomtown,” Kotkin said in a news release.

Readers can reach Business Editor Craig McEwen at (701) 241-5502 and business reporter Tracy Frank at (701) 241-5526

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/239346/

Fierce
May 10, 2009, 8:37 PM
Can anyone explain to me what the causes are for Fargo's latest boom? What are the main industries? Is oil and gas having an influence?

jwmn
May 11, 2009, 2:44 PM
I don't know if I would call it a boom so much as just steady growth that has been occurring for several years. Here are the major employers: http://www.gfmedc.com/employers

Pappy2000
May 19, 2009, 3:21 AM
Seems to be quite a lull even as the construction season hits the ground running. I hope to be out this week getting some updated photos of some of the major construction projects that are under way, such as the Walmart on 52nd and the Microsoft Addition.

In the meantime, has anyone heard any new rumours as to what may be going in by the new Walmart or any new additions to Urban Plains and how about an update on the Aquatic Center (Even though I would rather see a mega indoor water park).

Doc
May 19, 2009, 12:58 PM
1. ) Looks like NDSU is making the final push on the Downtown Business college. Apparantly, there will be buses every 10 minutes during school hours next year.
2.) The downtown residence hall/5-story apartments and retail is getting done rather quickly. Should be partly open by fall.
3.) There seems to be more bakery stuff open downtown. Nichole's is now open at 8 a.m. and serving more breakfast stuff and Josie's (which has gotten a lot better) is open at 7:30.
4.) I've seen a lot of activity in the Urban Plains development. I would also like an update.
5.) I believe that the state approved funding to renovate Minard hall. If I find renderings, I'll let you know and/or post them.

F-Misthebest
May 22, 2009, 2:15 AM
Hammering away: Building permits picking up for new homes
By: Mike Nowatzki, INFORUM

Permit applications for new-home construction are starting to pick up in the Fargo-Moorhead metro area after flooding and the ongoing recession paralyzed the industry during the first quarter of 2009.

Local building officials say it’s a welcome sign, given that permit numbers so far this year are well below last year’s figures.

For example:

From January to March – usually the month homebuilding ramps up for the season – no building permits were issued for new single-family homes in Fargo or Dilworth. Moorhead issued two permits and West Fargo issued one.

When comparing April 2008 to last month, the number of single-family home permits dropped from 21 to 12 in Fargo, from 27 to six in Moorhead and from 17 to 10 in West Fargo.

As of Wednesday, Fargo had issued 30 permits for new single-family homes this year – a 44 percent decrease from the same period last year.

There are a couple of bright spots: The number of multifamily units being built or pending permit approval in Fargo is up, and permit applications in general have been on the rise recently, officials say.

This spring’s flood fight basically brought building to a standstill, said Jason Eid, president of the Home Builders Association of Fargo-Moorhead.

“The whole city just kind of went on pause during March there, and so we’re picking up steam again,” he said.

While the flood “certainly had an effect,” local homebuilding was already on the decline before flood season, Fargo Planning Director Jim Gilmour said.

From Sept. 1 to Dec. 31, the city issued 60 permits for single-family homes, compared with 112 permits during the same period in 2007, he said.

Still, the flood fight didn’t help matters, tying up contractors for weeks.

“If you had a backhoe, you weren’t digging basements. You were digging dikes,” Gilmour said.

Dike removal continues in the metro, but home-building is back on the front burner, too, as permit numbers show.

“May has really picked up,” said Dawn Fuxa, building codes office specialist in Moorhead. The office has received at least 20 permit applications in May, including eight on Wednesday alone, she said.

Fargo issued a dozen single-family home permits in April and had issued 18 in May as of Wednesday.

West Fargo also has seen permit traffic increase in May, with 44 total building permit applications. Carol Wendt of Moore Engineering, which processes the city’s building permits, said West Fargo’s housing sector should benefit from the added protection of the Sheyenne River diversion, which kept the city safe this spring as Fargo and Moorhead scrambled to hold back the Red River.

Apartments and twinhomes, two areas of the housing sector that have traditionally been strong in Fargo, have showed positive signs.

Through Wednesday, the city had issued permits for two multifamily projects this year totaling 164 units, compared with four projects totaling 130 units during the same time last year. One of this year’s projects is the downtown Cityscapes apartment-retail project, which will add 104 apartments units.

Gilmour said permits also are pending for a 45-unit condo project in the area of 45th Street and 32nd Avenue South; the 88-unit Dakota Creek Lofts project at 1820 Dakota Drive; and additional apartments on the North Dakota State University campus.

The city issued 22 twinhome permits, 10 more than in April 2008.

Driving the multifamily construction spurt is NDSU enrollment growth, a need for more senior housing and lower vacancy rates, Gilmour said. People also may be finding it harder to obtain loans and afford a house in the current economic climate, he said.

“Tighter credit standards would certainly keep more people in apartments,” he said.

Confidence is higher among homebuilders than it was earlier this year, and buyers seem more willing to look, Eid said, noting the “fantastic” traffic during the association’s recent Parade of Homes.

Low interest rates and an $8,000 tax credit for first-time homebuyers also are spurring interest, he said.

Regardless of whether new single-family homes or apartments are being built, the construction is good for the metro area, Eid said.

“It’s still another space for a household, for a family, to call home in Fargo-Moorhead,” he said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Mike Nowatzki at (701) 241-5528

F-Misthebest
May 22, 2009, 2:18 AM
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2420/downtownconstruction.jpg

www.inforum.com

F-Misthebest
May 22, 2009, 2:22 AM
Also at 300 Broadway, the new building next to the Fargo Theatre, an Erbert and Gerberts is moving in. Yes we have three already but I think it's another good option for downtown eating.

rrskylar
May 25, 2009, 4:44 PM
What happened to SmileyBoy, he was a frequent poster on this thread?

SmileyBoy
May 25, 2009, 7:09 PM
What happened to SmileyBoy, he was a frequent poster on this thread?

I'm still lurking on here, just that my life has changed a bit with my schoolwork and trying to graduate college in time. I still drive around the city often and observe the new developments around, but I'm just not into the thread a lot lately I guess. And with the city officially part of the recession, a lot of the enthusiasm I used to feel about the city has kind of gone away...

Doc
May 25, 2009, 11:58 PM
Even though we are in recession, we are doing much better than pretty much the rest of the country. Things are still growing, and will turn around for the country in the next year or so.:banana:

rrskylar
May 28, 2009, 6:05 AM
I'm still lurking on here, just that my life has changed a bit with my schoolwork and trying to graduate college in time. I still drive around the city often and observe the new developments around, but I'm just not into the thread a lot lately I guess. And with the city officially part of the recession, a lot of the enthusiasm I used to feel about the city has kind of gone away...

Good to see your still around, isn't Fargo weathering the economic storm better than other US cities?

UP Fargo
May 28, 2009, 3:31 PM
http://www.upfargo.com/blog/

We're getting more active with our website and blog. We even have some video coming out tomorrow.

You'll see four buildings going UP this year if all goes as planned. Pediatric Therapy Partners will build their new building just south of Cheetah Mart on 45th, Starion Bank will build just north of Cheetah Mart, Taco Bell (insert Mexican food joke here), will build just north of Mexican Village, and we'll have our first residential units started as well.

We're working on a bunch of other things, including a market study on restaurants. We have group here today looking at what concepts will work.

Let me know what questions you guys have. And stay tuned, we've got some big things on the horizon.......

matt35503
May 29, 2009, 7:24 AM
What form will the residential be taking and where in the development? Also, for the restaurants, I hope you are looking at bringing in some new ones and not duplicates of anything already here.

SmileyBoy
May 30, 2009, 4:31 AM
Good to see your still around, isn't Fargo weathering the economic storm better than other US cities?

I guess we're doing better than a vast majority of the US, but it seems like every 4th business or so along 13th Avenue has closed shop. The intersection of 13th Ave. and 25th Street has become a virtual dead zone with almost every business on that corner closed up except for a Blockbuster Video and a pita shop. Advanced Auto Parts, Taco Del Mar, Entrees, Starbucks, Sun Mart grocery store, all closed down. I try not to look around when I drive through there, but it's hard...

IronRanger
May 30, 2009, 11:18 PM
I guess we're doing better than a vast majority of the US, but it seems like every 4th business or so along 13th Avenue has closed shop. The intersection of 13th Ave. and 25th Street has become a virtual dead zone with almost every business on that corner closed up except for a Blockbuster Video and a pita shop. Advanced Auto Parts, Taco Del Mar, Entrees, Starbucks, Sun Mart grocery store, all closed down. I try not to look around when I drive through there, but it's hard...

If you don't like to see businesses that are closing, go to UP or Osgood...

fargomike
Jun 4, 2009, 5:15 AM
http://www.upfargo.com/blog/

We're getting more active with our website and blog. We even have some video coming out tomorrow.

You'll see four buildings going UP this year if all goes as planned. Pediatric Therapy Partners will build their new building just south of Cheetah Mart on 45th, Starion Bank will build just north of Cheetah Mart, Taco Bell (insert Mexican food joke here), will build just north of Mexican Village, and we'll have our first residential units started as well.

We're working on a bunch of other things, including a market study on restaurants. We have group here today looking at what concepts will work.

Let me know what questions you guys have. And stay tuned, we've got some big things on the horizon.......

I love seeing the activity over there.

I'm opening up in about 6 weeks the GASTROPUB at Fargo Billiards just a quarter mile east of you. I've got a food & beverage director and an executive chef who are going great guns right now. The menu is pretty much complete... Final selection on our 24 beers on tap likely to come tomorrow... Wine list almost done... Walk-in freezer & cooler going in tomorrow...

UP-Fargo, If you want to take a walk-through to see what's happening down the road just send me a private message.

-mike page

Doc
Jun 4, 2009, 1:53 PM
Anyone know what happened to the lofts on the Moorhead side of the Main Street bridge? I can't find any sign online of them being for sale anymore.

IronRanger
Jun 5, 2009, 1:16 AM
I see people that seem to be working hard over there everyday Mike! I can't wait til that place opens... I think it is going to be just what F-M needs.

F-Misthebest
Jun 5, 2009, 11:08 PM
Anyone know what happened to the lofts on the Moorhead side of the Main Street bridge? I can't find any sign online of them being for sale anymore.

Are you talking about the ones that haven't been built or the ones on the north side of Main Avenue?

hellerz85
Jun 10, 2009, 4:07 PM
I saw this in the paper today....http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/243259/

and i noticed in the comments section below:

Jimmy D.
Grand Forks, ND 06/10/2009 9:38 AM
I hope they don't move to the mall because the other company eying the retail space is Dave and Busters.

Does anyone have and knowledge of this?? If this is true, this would be the bestest news ever!!!!

hellerz85
Jun 10, 2009, 4:17 PM
I saw this in the paper today....http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/243259/

and i noticed in the comments section below:

Jimmy D.
Grand Forks, ND 06/10/2009 9:38 AM
I hope they don't move to the mall because the other company eying the retail space is Dave and Busters.

Does anyone have and knowledge of this?? If this is true, this would be the bestest news ever!!!!