PDA

View Full Version : Murder Stats for 2006 for Major Canadian cities!!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

liferanger
Jan 12, 2006, 8:23 PM
Well, it's that time of year again..I know this is a grim topic but I found it very interesting over the last year to see the Homicide stats for major cities

Only a couple of weeks into the New year and Edmonton has two homicides in the city and another one where media states that a guy was shot in Edmonton and dumped on the other side of the city limits.....3 already...What does your city have????

malek
Jan 12, 2006, 8:25 PM
Montreal, one, gangs related in a nightclub.

DrJoe
Jan 12, 2006, 8:51 PM
Toronto has one. Happened just a few hours into 2006, nothing since.

biguc
Jan 12, 2006, 9:25 PM
winnipeg is at two. the second one the guy was shot and his car torched or something. cool shit.

Pavlov
Jan 12, 2006, 10:29 PM
Calgarians painted the town red on New Year's Eve this year. One promising (and beautiful, might I add) young woman was murdered outside a Kensington bar when a party-crasher drove the wrong way down a one-way street to hit her and a half-dozen of her friends right in front of the bar. Also, a young woman was killed in a notorious hit-and-run incident just west of the city. Three seperate cars hit the woman but none stopped. :no: Wow. Someone's "I will not run anyone over this year" resolution didn't last very long.

caltrane74
Jan 12, 2006, 11:18 PM
Toronto only 1 half way through january.

Amazing. We may only have 24 murders this year. cool.

But most murders happen in the summer. When fools hang outside of clubs and busy intersections. Dont be black in Toronto this summer , I think its going to be bad.

I hope those preachers get through to those young guys. Or else we may just lose hope.

Rusty van Reddick
Jan 12, 2006, 11:29 PM
Calgarians painted the town red on New Year's Eve this year. One promising (and beautiful, might I add) young woman was murdered outside a Kensington bar when a party-crasher drove the wrong way down a one-way street to hit her and a half-dozen of her friends right in front of the bar. Also, a young woman was killed in a notorious hit-and-run incident just west of the city. Three seperate cars hit the woman but none stopped. :no: Wow. Someone's "I will not run anyone over this year" resolution didn't last very long.

That was in Morely, and it was not a homicide. It was a lot less "notorious" than the Herald etc led you to believe. The people who hit her- two at least- have come forward and explained that it was pitch black, it was dangerous to get out, and there is no reason to have expected that a human would be walking ILLEGALLY along that stretch.

Mike K.
Jan 12, 2006, 11:37 PM
Some guy popped his wife in Victoria earlier this month.

That's 1 so far.

VicHockeyFan
Jan 12, 2006, 11:52 PM
Some guy popped his wife in Victoria earlier this month.

That's 1 so far.

Strangulation, but far from your usual domestic. Asian-Canadian couple with no history of domestic violence, no criminal record, affluent and middle-aged (they lived in a $500+ home, and had recently sold their last for over 700k). The suspect (the husband that Koz has already deemed guilty) called 911 from the home, arrested without incident.

Still, we'll take it!

VicHockeyFan
Jan 12, 2006, 11:53 PM
......and another one where media states that a guy was shot in Edmonton and dumped on the other side of the city limits.....3 already...What does your city have????

The suspect here must be a forumer that tried to move the body to keep Edmonton's numbers down on this thread.

Every Edmonton forumer, please report to your local police station for voluntary DNA testing. If you don't show up we know you have something to hide.

Pavlov
Jan 12, 2006, 11:55 PM
That was in Morely, and it was not a homicide. It was a lot less "notorious" than the Herald etc led you to believe. The people who hit her- two at least- have come forward and explained that it was pitch black, it was dangerous to get out, and there is no reason to have expected that a human would be walking ILLEGALLY along that stretch.

I was trying to make it sound a little more exciting. I really want Calgary to do well in this thread this year!

Mike K.
Jan 13, 2006, 12:00 AM
...The suspect (the husband that Koz has already deemed guilty) called 911 from the home...
Still, we'll take it!

So the dog did it or was this some sort of a sex act?

:D

VicHockeyFan
Jan 13, 2006, 12:03 AM
So the dog did it or was this some sort of a sex act?

:D

It might have been a sex act that indeed also involved the dog. :shrug:

MrChills
Jan 13, 2006, 3:32 PM
On this topic, does anyone have a list of Canadas major cities (top 20?) and the total murders last years or from years past

y2k_pony
Jan 13, 2006, 7:53 PM
Windsor has 2.

rrskylar
Jan 13, 2006, 8:49 PM
Glad a new string of the old thread was revived, murder stats seem to spark a lot of interest among Skyscraper forum members!

Blitz
Jan 13, 2006, 8:53 PM
Windsor has 2.There's only been 1 in Windsor this year (the old guy that lived on McDougall Ave).

On this topic, does anyone have a list of Canadas major cities (top 20?) and the total murders last years or from years past

Here are the homicide rates (per 100,000 people) for 2004 from StatsCan:

CMA 2004
Regina 5.0
Winnipeg 4.9
Abbotsford 4.4
Edmonton 3.4
Saskatoon 3.3
Vancouver 2.6
Halifax 2.4
Calgary 1.9
Toronto 1.8
Montreal 1.7
St. Cath 1.6
Victoria 1.5
Kitchener 1.3
Hamilton 1.3
Saguenay 1.3
Windsor 1.2
London 1.1
Ottawa 1.1
Quebec 0.8
Saint John 0.7
Trois-Riv 0.7
St. John's 0.6
Gatineau 0.4
Kingston 0.0
Sherbrooke 0.0
Sudbury 0.0
Thunder Bay 0.0

The 2005 data will be released in July.

malek
Jan 23, 2006, 10:00 PM
We doubled!!

Its now 2 for Montréal.

Pootkao
Jan 23, 2006, 10:08 PM
winnipeg is at two. the second one the guy was shot and his car torched or something. cool shit.

thats gonna be tough to top!

c'mon, canada! lets make it crazy gruesome this year!

lubicon
Jan 23, 2006, 10:11 PM
Calgary appears to be keeping pace with Edmonton so far. We are up to 3 now as of this past weekend.

And I'm not sure if they are considering the New Year's Eve run down of the girl a homicide or not. the fellow in question has been charges with a number of offences included impaired driving causing death but I don't think he has been charged with murder.

DrJoe
Jan 23, 2006, 11:05 PM
Toronto is still at 1.

Serge
Jan 23, 2006, 11:58 PM
morbid thread... why?

PhilippeMtl
Jan 27, 2006, 4:46 PM
Montreal is now at 4, third one was pretty horrible (an innocent 17 years old girl , cashier at a gaz station..)

habsfan
Jan 27, 2006, 4:53 PM
Montreal is now at 4, third one was pretty horrible (an innocent 17 years old girl , cashier at a gaz station..)

I think she was the third this year!

malek
Jan 27, 2006, 5:02 PM
who's the fourth?

habsfan
Jan 27, 2006, 5:09 PM
no one...yet!

AlbertaBeef
Jan 27, 2006, 5:18 PM
Calgary raises you a dismembered arm in a dumpster. Still looking for rest of dude's body.

habsfan
Jan 27, 2006, 5:19 PM

There's a city wide man hunt going on in Montreal to find this little prick and his two friends who commited this gruesome act! Their pictures are in all the major papers!

CMD UW
Jan 27, 2006, 5:44 PM
/\ yea, I saw that. Terrible. What exactly happened? A robbery and they decided to just shoot her?

habsfan
Jan 27, 2006, 5:47 PM
It was some type of robbery attempt(I assume) I think they stabbed her a few times.

I Also heard that the guy they are looking for knew the girl, and might have worked at that gas station in the past! That may be why she let them in!

malek
Jan 27, 2006, 6:50 PM
Its not a robbery.

Its an ex-employee who took vengence on her for telling on him.

He wanted to steal money from the cash, she told the owner, he got fired.

PhilippeMtl
Jan 27, 2006, 6:53 PM
fourth:

27/01/2006 08h04
Montréal

Un homme dans la trentaine tué par balles

Un homme dans la trentaine a été retrouvé sans vie la nuit dernière dans son appartement de Montréal.
Les policiers ont été appelés sur place par des voisins qui ont entendu des coups de feu.

La victime a été atteinte de plusieurs projectiles.

Des traces de sang ont été trouvées sur trois étages et une arme a feu a été localisée dans l'escalier.

Plus tard, un jeune de 20 ans, blessé par balle, s'est rendu a l'hôpital Notre-Dame. Il s'est montré peu coopératif, mais les policiers ne savent pas s'il est relié au meurtre.

Il s'agit du quatrième meurtre recensé cette année à Montréal

PhilippeMtl
Jan 27, 2006, 6:58 PM
One of three suspects in death of teen gas bar attendant turns himself in Fri Jan 27, 10:51 AM ET

MONTREAL (CP) - One of three suspects wanted for questioning in the murder of a 17-year-old gas bar attendant turned himself in to Montreal police today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Eighteen-year-old Joel Nantais, considered an important witness in the slaying of Brigitte Serre, was accompanied by a lawyer when showed up at police headquarters.

Police say two other suspects are still being sought, a 27-year-old, and an 18-year-old who is believed to be the main suspect.

The 18-year-old suspect, Sebastien Simon is a former Shell gas station employee who had worked with the victim in the past.

The teenage victim was working the overnight shift alone when she was slain early Wednesday.

MTL-514
Jan 27, 2006, 7:59 PM
apparently one of the three suspects is the son of guy my girlfriend works with. poor guy. when you find out your son may have done something like that, must fvck up your life pretty bad...

habsfan
Jan 27, 2006, 8:24 PM
Imagine how helpless the parent must feel.

drew
Jan 27, 2006, 8:39 PM
^ of the victim?

malek
Jan 27, 2006, 8:50 PM
both actually.

habsfan
Jan 27, 2006, 9:06 PM
Yeah...both!

gatt
Feb 9, 2006, 3:11 PM
#1 in Gatineau yesterday.

rrskylar
Feb 9, 2006, 3:14 PM
Winnipeg=3

DrJoe
Feb 9, 2006, 3:57 PM
Toronto has had 3

MTL-514
Feb 9, 2006, 4:47 PM
who's winning???

Hillis
Feb 10, 2006, 6:42 AM
Toronto has had 3

Thats it? Any idea how many there were this time last year?

asher11
Feb 10, 2006, 12:53 PM
We're now up to 6 as of this morning. Some sort of domestic dispute, I think (not sure of all the details yet) - a mother and her 2 kids (why can't these guys just take themselves out).

DrJoe
Feb 10, 2006, 3:27 PM
Stupid domestic disputes. They shouldnt even count, lol.

samne
Feb 10, 2006, 4:13 PM
Stupid domestic disputes. They shouldnt even count, lol.

a little more sensitive please. 3 people, two of which were infants were murdered.

WhipperSnapper
Feb 10, 2006, 4:25 PM
^this whole macabre thread could be "a little more sensitive"

salvius
Feb 10, 2006, 4:55 PM
^ I agree.

MTL-514
Feb 10, 2006, 9:00 PM
on that note...

so who's winning???

habsfan
Feb 10, 2006, 9:35 PM
on that note...

so who's winning???

;) :rolleyes: :cheers:

althegreat III
Feb 10, 2006, 11:23 PM
Bah! This whole world is a fucked up slaughterhouse...a mad slaughterhouse! A mad cow slaughterhouse! A mad cowed chicken flued infested slaughterhouse!

PhilippeMtl
Feb 11, 2006, 10:38 PM
5th in Montreal.

A guy has been found death in his Verdun (south west) appartment.

By the way,

First in Quebec City, a prostitute has been killed.

althegreat III
Feb 11, 2006, 11:25 PM
5th in Montreal.

Huth! We still don't know if he was butchered, or only a suicide.

JBinCalgary
Feb 11, 2006, 11:54 PM
i guess people in regina really are crazy

PhilippeMtl
Feb 12, 2006, 3:00 PM
Huth! We still don't know if he was butchered, or only a suicide.
Confimed by SPM .

Arrondissement de Verdun

Un homme trouvé mort dans son logement

Un homme de 51 ans a été tué dans son logement de l'arrondissement de Verdun.
Les policiers ont découvert son cadavre vers 14h samedi après-midi.

Le corps portait des marques de violence.

Le tueur est toujours recherché.

Il s'agit du cinquième meurtre de l'année à Montréal.

althegreat III
Feb 12, 2006, 5:35 PM
ouaip...c'est le 5iem de l'année :(

And don't nobody laugh for nothin', this ain't funny for shit!

VicHockeyFan
Feb 12, 2006, 11:16 PM
We're stalled at 1.

...come on folks, go get drunk and then break out the guns!

digitboy
Feb 16, 2006, 5:24 AM
Already 5 homicides for montreal... what the hell ? :koko: :shrug:

VicHockeyFan
Feb 16, 2006, 7:40 AM
Gun registry about to be cut off of funds.... darn, that won't make a bit of difference...

PhilippeMtl
Feb 17, 2006, 3:03 PM
6e meurtre de l'année ÃMontréal

Poignardé Ãmort dans un bar

Un homme de 26 ans est décédé Ãl'hôpital après avoir été poignardé lors d'une altercation dans un bar du centre-ville de Montréal.
La victime et son agresseur en seraient venus aux coups vers 3h30, dans la nuit de jeudi Ãvendredi, au Bistro bar La Nouba, situé rue Sainte-Catherine. L'autre individu aurait mis fin au brasse-camarade en sortant une arme blanche et en frappant son adversaire.

Le suspect de 29 ans a été arrêté sur place après avoir été maîtrisé par des clients. Il aurait été légèrement blessé dans la bagarre.

Il s'agit du sixième homicide Ãsurvenir cette année sur le territoire de la Ville de Montréal

habsfan
Feb 17, 2006, 3:20 PM
6...noit soo bad... we're on pace with last year...about 35 to 40 murders!

P Unit
Mar 3, 2006, 3:37 AM
We're kicking everyone's asses this year. There were four just today, and that pushes us up to 11 or 12 on the year now.

VicHockeyFan
Mar 3, 2006, 3:48 AM
^ You glory-hogging bastard.

DrJoe
Mar 3, 2006, 4:04 AM
We're kicking everyone's asses this year. There were four just today, and that pushes us up to 11 or 12 on the year now.

Where are you from?? When you say Danforth I assume you are talking about Toronto but there wasn't 4 murders today and the total is only 8.

JBinCalgary
Mar 3, 2006, 4:15 AM
awww sheeeet. im from the danforth originally

harls
Mar 3, 2006, 12:58 PM
not murders, but two people were mowed down by vehicles here downtown yesterday. Shitty.

malek
Mar 3, 2006, 4:27 PM
i thought one, a lady but a trucker... who was caught later one, %)+%_ bastard

i don't think its counted as a murder.

Elwood
Mar 3, 2006, 5:01 PM
Another murder in Edmonton last night - a person was beat to death on a city bus. I believe that's no. six for the year (we had seven this time last year).

P Unit
Mar 3, 2006, 5:16 PM
Where are you from?? When you say Danforth I assume you are talking about Toronto but there wasn't 4 murders today and the total is only 8.

My bad, I was under the impression that there were already 8 before yesterday, and they were originally reporting that murder in Markham as a triple homicide. Plus there was that body they found in a shopping cart.

harls
Mar 3, 2006, 5:33 PM
i thought one, a lady but a trucker... who was caught later one, %)+%_ bastard

i don't think its counted as a murder.

that's why I said "not murders". vehicular manslaughter, most likely.

DrJoe
Mar 3, 2006, 6:12 PM
My bad, I was under the impression that there were already 8 before yesterday, and they were originally reporting that murder in Markham as a triple homicide. Plus there was that body they found in a shopping cart.

Markham isn't Toronto though. I have no idea what the number is for the whole GTA, I'd imagine about 12-15??

Jammon
Mar 4, 2006, 9:39 PM
Following on the heels of that gruesome act in Montreal, Winnipeg also saw one of its grocery store clerks murdered after he attempted to foil a robbery. Again, we will tell you time and time again, just give them what they want. Don't try and be a hero.

MaThQc
Mar 6, 2006, 11:03 PM
Second murder in Quebec City, in the Limoilou borough.

Canuck
Mar 6, 2006, 11:38 PM
Is this for city proper, or the surrounding area?

I think Toronto proper (2.5 million) is around 10 or so. To go to the GTA I know of at least 5 more.

rrskylar
Mar 7, 2006, 7:02 AM
Winnipeg looks to get back in the game with #5 this past weekend!

VicHockeyFan
Mar 7, 2006, 7:37 AM
Following on the heels of that gruesome act in Montreal, Winnipeg also saw one of its grocery store clerks murdered after he attempted to foil a robbery. Again, we will tell you time and time again, just give them what they want. Don't try and be a hero.

Fine, but let's not advertise the fact we'll always give them the money with absolutely no resistance. That sends the wrong message to the evil-doers. The message should be that 1/2 the time, we'll shoot you (dead) in the back on your way out, or even on your way in.

Hillis
Mar 7, 2006, 8:03 AM
The city of Toronto is at 9 right now...
Police initially called the man’s death suspicious, but are now investigating it as the city’s ninth murder of the year. Authorities are still trying to determine how McDoom died.
http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20060305-001/page.asp

Canuck
Mar 7, 2006, 1:10 PM
The city of Toronto is at 9 right now...

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20060305-001/page.asp
The article indicates it's at 10, with #9 being shopping cart guy, and #10 the kid on the school field.

cassius
Mar 7, 2006, 5:11 PM
It's at 9 right now but if this shopping cart guy turns out to be a murder, then it'll be 10 for the year so far.

VicHockeyFan
Mar 7, 2006, 6:31 PM
^^^ His name is McDoom?

malek
Mar 15, 2006, 5:45 AM
Montreal at 7 !

VicHockeyFan
Mar 15, 2006, 6:06 AM
Vive le murdeur!

Canuck
Mar 15, 2006, 1:47 PM
12 for Toronto - man found shot to death in his van at a Scarborough strip plaza.

vid
Mar 15, 2006, 11:36 PM
I think Thunder Bay is at 1 or 2.. Someone was stabbed to death on Cumming Street on Saturday or Friday, can't remember.

swilley
Mar 16, 2006, 3:30 AM
Saskatoon is restoring some of it's good ol' fashon Stabbing pride, we now got 2!
I think every murder in Saskatoon last year was a stabbing. Who needs a gun registry, maybe they could start some kind of knife regestry or something, might be cheaper...:)

circle33
Mar 16, 2006, 2:39 PM
/\ Didin't a councillor suggest something to that effect?

Saskatoon first occured March 4th in a house at 439 Ave. S South. The second happened at a house at 438 Ave. S South. Conclusion: If you don't live in the 400 Block of Ave. S South, you're probably safe.

What's with the picture that accompanied this story in the Star P's online version . This is no where near the scene.

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/idl/sasp/20051128/110231-38968.jpg

vid
Mar 17, 2006, 3:25 AM
^^ They're shoing off Saskatoons hot apartment architecture! 'They're not slabs!!'

I was wrong, we've only had one.
===
Murder victim identified
Tb News Source | Web Posted: 3/16/2006 8:04:14 PM

Thunder Bay police have identified the victim of the city's first homicide of the year. Dead is 62-year-old Thomas Allen Killingbeck.

Killingbeck was found dead in his Cumming Street apartment last Friday but police say delays in contacting his next of kin have prevented them from releasing his name.

Police are still not releasing any details related to the cause of death however they say they continue to receive tips on a special information hot-line set up following the murder.

Canuck
Mar 21, 2006, 3:23 AM
Toronto - 13.
That makes 5 gun deaths so far.

Hillis
Mar 21, 2006, 3:34 AM
^^^ Any idea what it was at this time last year?

harls
Mar 21, 2006, 2:12 PM
Apparently, someone was killed 3 blocks from my house for the first murder in Ottawa metro this year.

Awesome.

PhilippeMtl
Mar 21, 2006, 2:39 PM
Sunday evening: Young men beat to death with a baseball bat in front of a convenience store in the south-west of the city. (street gang)

Monday evening: Another young men shot by firearm on the street in the north part of the city. (street gang)

After a quiet February, Montreal is now at 9 murders.

VicHockeyFan
Mar 21, 2006, 4:56 PM
^ Were these two random, or gang vs. gang?

I'd like to hope I'd need to really do something bad/dumb to taunt guys at least, to be beaten to death at a convenience store. I'd hope that minding my own business would be OK.

PhilippeMtl
Mar 24, 2006, 2:40 PM
No murder last night in Montreal but 4 injuries by firearm (Plateau-Mont-Royal and St-Leonard borough) . 2 in critical condition.

I dont know what happens in Montreal this year but I think the summer will be bloody.

habsfan
Mar 24, 2006, 3:17 PM
No murder last night in Montreal but 4 injuries by firearm (Plateau-Mont-Royal and St-Leonard borough) . 2 in critical condition.

I dont know what happens in Montreal this year but I think the summer will be bloody.

I wouldn't worry too much. the last few years, MOntreal had about 50 murders per year...I think Last year was an annomaly with less than 40 murders!

harls
Mar 24, 2006, 3:28 PM
yeah I heard that they shut down St. Laurent boulevard this morning between Duluth and Rachel.. some early morning club shootout?

Speedyturtle
Mar 24, 2006, 7:09 PM
Where are all the Vancouver people at?

asher11
Mar 28, 2006, 1:54 PM
We're up to 15 now and almost 1/4 of the year is over, so we're just about right on schedule. Three guys shot in the west end, one dead and another shot up near Jane & Finch.

gatt
Mar 30, 2006, 2:25 PM
i think it's number 2 for Gatineau.a prisoner got killed by another prisoner at the Hull jail.

harls
Mar 30, 2006, 3:13 PM
where is the jail, close to my place too? :D

Lobstick
Mar 30, 2006, 3:18 PM
^Should jailhouse murders count? They don't really add to the vibrancy of an urban area like gangland shootings do.