PDA

View Full Version : Tucson Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85

acatalanb
Apr 16, 2011, 3:08 PM
Chicago Store... unfulfilled potential. How many years since that truck crashed into its storefront? Five? Six? Don't they have insurance?

That truck should have crashed it all the way and burned every inch of that building (with no human deaths and injuries , of course ). The building probably had insurance and maybe,the owners kept the insurance $$$ and used the little insurance left to 'rebuild' it.

I agree with you with regards to adobe's having much more worth than those ranch houses. The non-adobe houses in Armory Park aren't that bad either. I wished those big corporate home builders like KB Home would be more sympathetic to the locations where their homes are built.

acatalanb
Apr 16, 2011, 3:18 PM
UA picks 2 firms for downtown housing

Becky Pallack Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 12:00 am

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5065/5624742640_253a3b254b_z.jpg

Plans for new student-apartment projects downtown were officially announced on Friday.

The University of Arizona is pursuing two public-private partnerships that would have around 1,000 students living on Fourth Avenue along the proposed streetcar line to open for the fall semester in 2013.

The private partners are local firm Peach Properties and Birmingham, Ala.-based Capstone Development Corp., which is working with Tucson developer Jim Campbell.

New student housing is much needed, UA President Robert Shelton said in the announcement with city officials, neighborhood representatives and university leaders.

The UA can't afford to build more dorms on campus. Instead, it will affiliate with the new projects through marketing and referrals.

"They're here on campus as freshmen, and when the time comes to think about 'where am I going to live next year,' we'll refer them to these projects," said Bob Smith, a UA planning official.

The UA's goal is to house all freshmen in dorms on campus, because research shows that has a positive impact on their academic performance, Smith said.

When the two new dorms under construction on Sixth Street open in the fall, the UA will be close to meeting that goal, he added. The UA will have about 7,500 beds on campus.

The streetcar is an important part of the UA's downtown expansion. Officials on Friday described students and faculty getting to and from the main campus to the downtown branch in a matter of minutes without driving and parking.

The streetcar line will tie together Tucson's "centers of energy," Mayor Bob Walkup said.

The influx of students to the downtown area will spur economic recovery through investment and jobs, Walkup said.

The new projects also relieve pressure from UA-area neighborhoods, which have been fighting so-called mini-dorm developments, city councilman Steve Kozachik said.

However, some owners of other student housing near campus are concerned about these new projects, as well as projects moving ahead without university affiliation, saying there isn't enough demand.

About 3,000 new beds will be opening up for students in the next two years, and without enough customers, the openings will lower occupancy rates for all student housing, said Dick DeNezza, owner of College Place, 1602 N. Oracle Road. His student-housing complex was fully occupied with more than 200 students at the start of this school year.

A UA study found demand for student housing in the university area exceeds supply by 2,500 to 5,000 beds.

Capstone Development Corp. and Jim Campbell
• Where: The former Greyhound property, next to the Rialto Theatre on East Congress Street and Fourth Avenue, and another site across Congress next to the railroad tracks
• Beds: 720, divided between two buildings
• Commercial space: 24,000 to 33,000 square feet

Peach Properties
• Where: On East Broadway between South Fourth and South Herbert avenues
• Beds: 320
• Commercial space: 18,000 square feet

Contact reporter Becky Pallack at bpallack@azstarnet.com or 807-8012.

Original posting (http://azstarnet.com/news/local/education/college/article_415ee9fe-883f-5bfd-931d-d470477274dd.html)

acatalanb
Apr 16, 2011, 3:21 PM
:previous: These renderings scare me. :yuck: I was hoping this area would have a curved edge with a statue of a cowgirl or native american woman on top. Tucson could have a 'drop the ball' New Year's eve celebration in this building. Sad. UA where's your design input?

Something like this would be nice. Not Beaux-Arts but something modern, unique.

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/DSC02609.JPG

ComplotDesigner
Apr 17, 2011, 1:06 AM
Interesting, at least we know something is going to happen on those lots.

atbg8654
Apr 17, 2011, 1:36 AM
I dont see too much wrong with the design by just looking at this one rendering... How many stories will it be, looks like 10ish

acatalanb
Apr 17, 2011, 2:53 AM
I dont see too much wrong with the design by just looking at this one rendering... How many stories will it be, looks like 10ish

It's 11 stories for the building to be built at the Rialto Theater parking lot. The other building across it at 4th Ave/Hebert (left side of the photo..not shown), I don't know.

Yes, it's hard to critique this building with one rendering. That's why I thought it is scary (or unpredictable) pending what it will actually look like.

I believe that the Armory Park Apts (http://www.apartmentsmart.com/apartments_for_rent_at_Armory-Park-Apartments_Tucson_AZ_1702) for the elderly at E 12th St/5th Ave will also be torn down to make way for another apartment (probably another student housing). This is the building that is swapped for the new housing project that will be built for the elderly on the west side.

kaneui
Apr 17, 2011, 4:04 AM
It's 11 stories for the building to be built at the Rialto Theater parking lot. The other building across it at 4th Ave/Hebert (left side of the photo..not shown), I don't know.

Yes, it's hard to critique this building with one rendering. That's why I thought it is scary (or unpredictable) pending what it will actually look like.

The article on the DTP website says the tower next to the Rialto will be 11 stories, and the other two will be 7 stories each (apartments above 3-4 levels of parking). In any case, some solid mid-rise density with street-level retail to cover those dusty, vacant lots. Indeed, the east end of downtown will be transformed with the massing of these buildings, expected to have more beds than the two large UofA dorm complexes nearing completion on 6th St.

The render for the new tower matches the design of the mixed-use building currently under construction across the street--all part of Plaza Centro. Luckily, the streetcar tracks are already in place in front of these three adjacent projects, so it shouldn't conflict with their building schedule. The Rialto, Club Congress, and other nearby businesses must be peeing their pants over this announcement--1,200 new residents to be living within a block or two of their establishments by fall, 2013, just as the streetcar line is finished.

http://www.downtowntucson.org/news/?p=3199

combusean
Apr 17, 2011, 5:11 AM
I sort of worry about the streetcar capacity, especially with the new dorms and it running right through the UofA campus. The route is *really* good. Only in that aspect is the route ideally suited for light rail, but I seriously doubt Tucson could have mustered two to three times the cost and time to build it, especially with new ROW acquisitions.

That being said, capacity should be able to be managed with regular service and ad-hoc improvements like closing streetcar lanes to regular traffic.

Speedway is such an unbelievably good route for a future extension and a good impetus for a rehab of the street. It's so wide and straight you could do the engineering work blind. Make the rightmost lanes streetcar/right turn only, and put a few barriers to shunt traffic about. Sidewalks, shade, and a heap more of traffic & HAWK lights would transform the whole thing into one of America's finest urban boulevards. Compare the urban benefits of that to the cross-town freeway I hear bandied about too often.

kaneui
Apr 17, 2011, 6:28 AM
Tucson's streetcar is designed for more frequent stops at slower speeds, compared to Phoenix's light rail, which is more of a rapid transit system. (The streetcar will have 18 stops for its 4-mile length, whereas Valley Metro has about 28 stops along 20 miles.) Autos will also be sharing lanes with the streetcar, however, which could be problematic during rush hour.

The beauty of Tucson's starter route is that there will pretty much be everything one might need within walking distance of the planned stops, including educational institutions, hospital/medical facilities, retail, restaurants, government/civic buildings, nightlife, and housing. If all the TOD housing for UofA gets built, I'm guessing it will be a hit with students from Day One, especially with planned service every 20 minutes from 6 am - 2 am daily.

Regarding future extensions, I suspect the preferred route will be down Broadway, since it already has significant commercial development on the east side (Williams Centre, etc.), and additional sales tax revenues from the resulting TOD would be returned to Rio Nuevo coffers, since the street is part of the TIF district all the way out to Park Place mall. But with the ongoing budgetary cutbacks at all levels of government, any future extensions are probably dead for the foreseeable future. And of course, the window to consider building a cross-town freeway was closed decades ago, as the right-of-way land costs have become prohibitive.

bleunick
Apr 17, 2011, 8:47 AM
Tucson's streetcar is designed for more frequent stops at slower speeds, compared to Phoenix's light rail, which is more of a rapid transit system. (The streetcar will have 18 stops for its 4-mile length, whereas Valley Metro has about 28 stops along 20 miles.) Autos will also be sharing lanes with the streetcar, however, which could be problematic during rush hour.

The beauty of Tucson's starter route is that there will pretty much be everything one might need within walking distance of the planned stops, including educational institutions, hospital/medical facilities, retail, restaurants, government/civic buildings, nightlife, and housing. If all the TOD housing for UofA gets built, I'm guessing it will be a hit with students from Day One, especially with planned service every 20 minutes from 6 am - 2 am daily.

Regarding future extensions, I suspect the preferred route will be down Broadway, since it already has significant commercial development on the east side (Williams Centre, etc.), and additional sales tax revenues from the resulting TOD would be returned to Rio Nuevo coffers, since the street is part of the TIF district all the way out to Park Place mall. But with the ongoing budgetary cutbacks at all levels of government, any future extensions are probably dead for the foreseeable future. And of course, the window to consider building a cross-town freeway was closed decades ago, as the right-of-way land costs have become prohibitive.

you're right about Broadway being the next probable extension of the streetcar... As much as I would like to see Speedway get some much needed development, Broadway already has the Williams Center, the improving El con mall/thing(?), Reid Park, and the college on Broadway and Rosemont. Plus i've heard that the city has already looked into a possible route all the way to Park Place Mall on Wilmot.

Although i agree with Broadway being the next best extension for the streetcar, I really think there needs to be some sort of route continuing north on Campbell from the medical center to all the restaurants and boutique shops north of Grant...

acatalanb
Apr 17, 2011, 1:21 PM
I just remembered there's also the apartment that will be built besides MLK apts. So that would add up to at least 8 cranes for construction downtown...Stunning, considering the currently tepid real estate market.

...buildings under construction or likely to be constructed
1. West side elderly housing
2. City/County courthouse
3. Plaza Centro at 4th Ave. district
4. Plaza Centro by Rialto
5. Peachtree Apts by 4th Ave/Herbert
6. Old Armory Park Apts 12st/5th ave
7. TEP building
8. Apts by MLK/One Fifth North
.... likely to be built ....
9. some building at the old Bourne condo 'Post' vacant lot
10. some building at Coach st across El Charro
...I'm sure I'm missing something

The COT needs to update their site with all these new construction. Of course, there's also that large biotech park on the south side (besides the new Costco)

Thirsty
Apr 18, 2011, 5:02 AM
I'm guessing it will be a hit with students from Day One, especially with planned service every 20 minutes from 6 am - 2 am daily.

So the trolley will be limited to marginally better than bus status?

THIS is a reason to be pessimistic. This is what I was talking about when I said I fear this project I'm 100% in favor of will be done half-fast (say it ten times quick)

UA currently runs shuttles with scheduled pick-ups ever 15 minutes (the Trolley will fall flat on its face if it can't beat the CatTran ridership numbers). The very popular Light Rail passing through ASU comes every 10. Tucson Trolley... no sooner than every 20 minutes (during rush hour, lets say every 35) Students with early morning classes my have to leave home 40-50 minute before class. If you think this is reasonable... you don't know college students.

I'm not saying it won't be popular; I'm just frustrated at the wide chasm between what could be and what we'll end up with. Too often big-ticket public projects are crippled from the beginning.

If Arizonans built a submarine we would omit torpedo tubes to save money on maintenance.

Anqrew
Apr 19, 2011, 6:19 AM
http://www.sonoraninstitute.org/images/stories/2011/DowntownOffices-AShell-Jan2011.jpg

Sonoran Institute to Move to Downtown Tucson

The Sonoran Institute plans to relocate its headquarters from the East side to downtown Tucson. Working with Fletcher McCusker and Providence Service Corporation, the Institute plans to renovate the third floor of the former Federal Court House Annex at 44 E. Broadway Blvd. to use as its new Westwide headquarters.

“Moving our offices to downtown Tucson celebrates the core mission of our organization, which promotes Main Street and urban revitalization as vital conservation objectives,” said Luther Propst, executive director of the Institute. “This move also makes financial sense for the organization, since it will allow us to consolidate office space and improve the efficiency of our operations as we prepare for future growth.”

The relocation will involve moving about 20 full-time employees to the downtown office. Founded in 1990, the Sonoran Institute is a leading Westwide conservation organization that has staff and offices in Phoenix; Bozeman, Montana; Glenwood Springs, Colorado; Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico; and, Sheridan, Wyoming. The Institute employs 45 employees and has an annual budget of about $5.3 million.

Propst indicated that the precise date of the move has not yet been determined, but will likely be in March or April 2011. “Our employees are very excited about the downtown move since it reduces commute times for most, and opens up new public transportation options for our staff and visitors.”

“This is a win-win for the Institute and for the downtown community,” said Denny Minano, vice chair of the Sonoran Institute Board of Directors and a board member of Tucson Regional Economic Opportunities, Inc. (TREO). “The Institute is pursuing a sustainable approach to their move by re-using an existing office space, and downtown Tucson gains another vibrant organization as part of its community.”

“I am delighted to play a role in enticing the Sonoran Institute to join the downtown Tucson business community,” said Fletcher McCusker, president and CEO of Providence Service Corporation. “The nonprofit Sonoran Institute adds new diversity to the growing number of businesses opting to move to the city center.” McCusker is also a member of the Downtown Tucson Partnership.

The Sonoran Institute inspires and enables community decisions and public policies that respect the land and people of western North America. The Institute is a nonprofit organization that is working to shape the future of the West.

http://www.sonoraninstitute.org/about-us/contact-us-offices/officesdowntown-tucson-az.html

atbg8654
Apr 19, 2011, 5:16 PM
So the trolley will be limited to marginally better than bus status?

THIS is a reason to be pessimistic. This is what I was talking about when I said I fear this project I'm 100% in favor of will be done half-fast (say it ten times quick)

UA currently runs shuttles with scheduled pick-ups ever 15 minutes (the Trolley will fall flat on its face if it can't beat the CatTran ridership numbers). The very popular Light Rail passing through ASU comes every 10. Tucson Trolley... no sooner than every 20 minutes (during rush hour, lets say every 35) Students with early morning classes my have to leave home 40-50 minute before class. If you think this is reasonable... you don't know college students.

I'm not saying it won't be popular; I'm just frustrated at the wide chasm between what could be and what we'll end up with. Too often big-ticket public projects are crippled from the beginning.

If Arizonans built a submarine we would omit torpedo tubes to save money on maintenance.

I think the streetcar time is very reasonable. All the shuttles from student housing to campus service about every 30 minutes to an hour, and UA's Cat Tran runs about every 20 minutes. Students already leave home even longer than 40-50 minutes prior to class. Also, many urbanite students using public transit are I'm sure the type whom are willing to sacrifice some time if it means getting a cheap ride.

So in comparison to what exists for students at UA, the streetcar should be just as timely, if not, more.

Qwijib0
Apr 19, 2011, 8:58 PM
I think the streetcar time is very reasonable. All the shuttles from student housing to campus service about every 30 minutes to an hour, and UA's Cat Tran runs about every 20 minutes. Students already leave home even longer than 40-50 minutes prior to class. Also, many urbanite students using public transit are I'm sure the type whom are willing to sacrifice some time if it means getting a cheap ride.

So in comparison to what exists for students at UA, the streetcar should be just as timely, if not, more.

I'm holding out hope that north park and university between park and euclid just get closed to cars. That's going to be the major car traffic jam on the route, and it'd make a fantastic pedestrian plaza. With tyndall to the south and the new building+garage in the space between marshall and the mariott to the north there's no need to leave it open to traffic and parking anymore.

Anqrew
Apr 19, 2011, 9:38 PM
the new Buffalo Exchange at 250 E. Congress is opening on April 23, i hope it will be a success and pave the way for more retail coming downtown... personally I think something like the Apple Store would be awesome, it'd be such a large magnet for people and the one at La Encantada is so far for many people and is always really crowded. More clothing stores would be great too, they're building an H&M at Park Place and that would make it Tucsons 2nd location, wish they would have chosen downtown instead.

I wonder what the tenants for the TEP building and/or Plaza Centro will be... any guesses or hopes? my biggest one is mostly Apple

ComplotDesigner
Apr 19, 2011, 10:13 PM
Quick phone pic I took from the newest Costco in town :)

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2060/041711163200.jpg

Ritarancher
Apr 19, 2011, 11:38 PM
How do we fix downtown?
Simple
Build the FULL AND BIG Rainbow Bridge
A NFL Stadium With a giant parking garage
Light up A Mountain. Kinda like the Hollywood sigh but multi colored
More modern buildings
A large high rise 400 feet or taller for every stubby tower built
and more parking garages

Ritarancher
Apr 19, 2011, 11:39 PM
Quick phone pic I took from the newest Costco in town :)

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2060/041711163200.jpg

The Costco is PACKED but closer than other costcos
cant wait until other stores open there

acatalanb
Apr 20, 2011, 1:27 AM
If the new Costco in the southside is packed (that area is void of a large retail store), a mini-walmart downtown opened 24/7 will be the answer for the critical mass of pedestrians needed to pull downtown out of it's anti-business image and slow progress. It would provide more revenues needed for the city and Rio Nuevo TIF. I know there will be a Walmart at the El Con Mall but an extra MINI-Walmart downtown would lure more investors to build non-student/elderly housing. The Walmart should be a complement to the local stores downtown not an impediment to their business. There's always a chance a downtown Walmart visitor might 'walk around' downtown maybe to eat at the local restaurants or visit a Buffalo Exchange for bargains.

I emailed the mayor about this few months ago, hopefully he got the message. He has nothing to loose since he is not running for re-election thus no bullying from the 'special interest' or NIMBY's.

My repost of an article about big box retailer's new trend moving in downtowns (http://www.npr.org/2010/12/21/132231472/big-box-retailers-move-to-smaller-stores-in-cities) .

Mini-target in downtown Portland (http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2010/09/target_has_a_bullseye_on_downt.html)

Apple store downtown? ... excellent! Office depot? H&M? Gap? why not. The more choices the better.

Teacher_AZ_84
Apr 20, 2011, 2:25 AM
the new Buffalo Exchange at 250 E. Congress is opening on April 23, i hope it will be a success and pave the way for more retail coming downtown... personally I think something like the Apple Store would be awesome, it'd be such a large magnet for people and the one at La Encantada is so far for many people and is always really crowded. More clothing stores would be great too, they're building an H&M at Park Place and that would make it Tucsons 2nd location, wish they would have chosen downtown instead.

I wonder what the tenants for the TEP building and/or Plaza Centro will be... any guesses or hopes? my biggest one is mostly Apple

I did not know that they we building an H&M at Park Place. Since I live on the westside, it is easier for me to go to existing one at Tucson Mall. I personally would prefer to have it downtown. That would create more draw for people to come.

acatalanb
Apr 20, 2011, 2:00 PM
How do we fix downtown?
Simple
More modern buildings
and more parking garages

Ritarancher, you got me on that Hollywood sign for Tucson. I think it's great. I think it shouldn't cost that much to put up that sign (standing up like the real 'Hollywood' sign). Instead of coloring the letters white or multicolored, maybe large photos of Tucsonans embedded on the letters. Instead of 'Tucson' for the sign, how about 'Old Pueblo' . Here's the mayor and city council's emails (http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/citygov) , if you (or your friends/family) want to share your idea. I think you should.

I've read someplace that Tucson was a major candidate in the 20's for the movie industry's headquarters .... it eventually ended up in Hollywood.

acatalanb
Apr 20, 2011, 2:07 PM
County delays solar farm until neighbors agree

Rhonda Bodfield Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:00 am

Approval of a project touted as the nation's largest solar farm stalled Tuesday after Pima County supervisors told the company to try to work out stark differences with its prospective neighbors and come back in 60 days.

Supervisors expressed skepticism over the company's ability to reach consensus with neighbors over the project, which aims to put 96,000 photovoltaic panels on about 300 acres west of the Tucson Mountains. Supervisors also stressed they are concerned about sending the wrong message to solar companies.

"It's important that we send a message we are committed to solar, but it has to be done in a way that makes sense," said Supervisor Sharon Bronson.

The county must approve a use permit because current zoning is for low-density housing, farming and other uses.

Bruce Plenk, the city's solar-energy coordinator, reminded supervisors in the public hearing that Tucson is one of the federal government's 25 Solar America Cities because of the support the city has shown for alternative energy sources.

According to Plenk, the city would benefit from the lease payments, the county would benefit from what could be millions in taxes and the project could prevent the construction of more coal-fired power plants.

But JoAnne McKearney said the home she bought a few years ago already has dropped about $150,000 in value. If she has to sell a home next to an industrial solar operation, she said, "Wish me luck. I don't think I'll be able to do it."

Neighbors worried about whether there will be increased heat from the panels, and said there are concerns about potential health impacts that haven't been addressed by the company, Fotowatio Renewable Ventures.

"This project is going to destroy my home," said Rick Westfall, whose lives next door. He said 50 percent of the neighbors are dead set against the project, while the other 50 percent are willing to work something out.

The company has offered to build a wall to shield residents from the view. Among other suggestions: getting the company to put solar panels on neighboring homes or possibly building a community park.

Supervisor Richard Elías asked company vice president Tim Lasocki of San Francisco if he had children. When he answered yes, Elías noted the neighbors did, too.

When Lasocki said he'd gotten along well with the neighbors, noting many of them invited him into their homes, Elías retorted, "People in Tucson are nice, huh? That's how you're supposed to treat your neighbors."

But supervisors criticized Tucson Water, which is leasing the property to the company, as well as Tucson Electric Power, which plans to purchase the power. Neither organization, supervisors said, had done enough to engage in the debate - to the point that Bronson, whose district contains the property, was never notified by Tucson Water about the deal until the lease was already negotiated.

Neighbor Rich McKnight, who lives across the street from the proposed project, credited Fotowatio with making an effort to negotiate with neighbors, but said Tucson Water had responded with implied threats, while Tucson Electric Power had been largely silent.

Supervisors said neighbors told them that Tucson Water representatives had threatened to use eminent domain to help get the project approved, and hinted the site could even be used as a hog farm.

Tucson Water hydrologist Asia Philbin told supervisors she was not aware of such statements.

Philbin, though, apologized to neighbors for the utility's not being open enough, saying a choice was made to "take a back seat" to the developers, since they thought many of the neighbors' questions would best be addressed by the company.

Contact reporter Rhonda Bodfield at rbodfield@azstarnet.com or 573-4243.

acatalanb
Apr 20, 2011, 5:45 PM
Yeah, I'd be interested what stores get filled in those new buildings downtown. If they're gonna be another one of those local 4th avenue stores, I'd be very disappointed. As much as I love 4th ave, downtown shouldn't be an extension of 4th ave. I'm still waiting for the fate of that proposed high end mall by I-10/Greyhound depot area. For some reason, it just disappeared from public scrutiny.

... I'd love to see a Fry's Electronics downtown. Maybe, at that 'proposed' high end mall by I-10.

acatalanb
Apr 21, 2011, 5:00 PM
I did not know that they we building an H&M at Park Place. Since I live on the westside, it is easier for me to go to existing one at Tucson Mall. I personally would prefer to have it downtown. That would create more draw for people to come.

H&M in downtown Portland (http://theportlander.com/2010/11/10/hm-opens-first-oregon-store-in-downtown-portland/) . And why not downtown Tucson? Let me see ... Subway (or maybe Jimmy Johns) are the only "big bad corporate" presence (besides banks) in downtown Tucson. There was a Walgreens downtown and I can tell you for a fact that is was the busiest store downtown. 4 decades of local businesses didn't help downtown revitalized.

Anqrew
Apr 23, 2011, 12:51 AM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/218179_10150157177386923_283507751922_7071361_637909_n.jpg
photo: downtown tucsonan facebook page

Buffalo Exchange promises urban vibe for Downtown
By Teya Vitu

Tucsonans will not be familiar with Buffalo Exchange in the setting of century-old brick walls, a pressed tin ceiling or a wood floor made of planks from the pre-McKale Center basketball court.

Welcome to the urban version of Buffalo Exchange, the one more familiar among the 42 Buffalo Exchanges spread among hip cities nationwide.

The smaller, roughly 2,000-square-foot, Downtown store, opening April 23, has more in common with the Buffalo Exchanges in Brooklyn and Austin than the pair of spacious stores on Speedway.

The Downtown store, 250 E. Congress St., across from the Ronstadt Transit Center fills two joined store fronts.

One half has original exposed brick wall and the former basketball court floor, and the other half has walls painted aquarelle (a watery blue), gosling (mustard yellow) and zinc (gray).

“Those walls didn’t have brick or we would have kept it,” company President and co-founder Kerstin Block said.

Block has been opening stores relentlessly coast to coast the past few years, just in mid-April opening one in Charlotte, N.C., and another opens at the end of the month in Santa Monica, Calif.

Block has built a $64,4 million buy-sell-trade fashion juggernaut in 14 states, but since opening the first store in 1974, she has never had a Buffalo Exchange in Downtown, barely 1 miles from her corporate headquarters.

“This is definitely an experiment for us,” Block said. “I went into it quite wary. It’s been received much better than I ever expected. People have been more excited about it than I would have thought.”

The buzz has been on since Buffalo Exchange announced the Downtown store in early January. Buffalo Exchange postings on the Downtown Tucsonan Facebook page have gotten the No. 2, 3 and 4 most “likes” of all postings.

“They bring credibility and excitement to our Downtown landscape and add another great reason for Tucsonans to live, work and play in Downtown Tucson,” said Lisa Lovallo, chair of the Downtown Tucson Partnership board.

Buffalo Exchange’s arrival plants a flag for retail revival Downtown in the same way the new Martin Luther King Jr. Apartments marked the first large-scale construction Downtown in a decade, quickly followed by the new, nine-story UniSource Energy headquarters, the first tower to rise Downtown in 25 years. A slew of new restaurants and crowd-oriented successes like 2nd Saturdays and Club Crawl have added the people element for the resurgent Downtown.

Buffalo Exchange is a true local retailer, but it brings a national reputation to Downtown, tauted by a number of times by the Today shows and the national media. Will Buffalo Exchange break through the barrier of the one missing element Downtown: serious retail?

“When long term successful brands, like Buffalo Exchange, make a commitment to expand in Downtown Tucson, it sends a very strong message to other retailers and merchants that the time has come and a Downtown customer base is ready, willing and able to spend their money Downtown,” Lovallo said.

Buffalo Exchange shoppers know what the chain is about. You can buy, sell or trade your clothes or accessories. 70 percent of shoppers are women but there’s enough men’s wear to make up 30 percent of sales.

The Downtown store will carry everything familiar to Buffalo Exchange shoppers: shirts, dresses, jackets, pants, shoes, swimsuits and accessories like shoes, jewelry, purses and man bags. Each Buffalo Exchange store has its own character, based on that community’s trading tastes.

“We are opening the Downtown store with merchandise from other Buffalo Exchanges,” Block said. “As the store opens, it becomes self-sufficient.”

Will the Downtown store have a distinct eclectic mix of fashions?

“This is going to be a smaller selection of what you find at Speedway and Campbell,” said Mina Alegria, Buffalo Exchange’s area manager for Tucson, Phoenix and San Diego.

The merchandise might be similar but the vibe will be more urban.

“The people who applied for this location are a great selection of fashionistas,” Alegria said. “This store is going to start us on the way of the urban city feel. This is starting to bring the big city feel. We’re going to work to make it a destination.”

Each of the 42 stores finds its own niche. Speedway/Campbell is a younger crowd and Speedway/Wilmot has always had older women, though the younger crowd has found that store in recent years.

The Downtown store targets career women who work Downtown, but younger women who gravitate toward Downtown will just as much file into the store.

“The hipsters, they’ll come,” said Block, herself outfitted in wears off her own racks. “Pretty much everything I wear is from Buffalo Exchange.”

BrandonJXN
Apr 23, 2011, 7:56 PM
How do we fix downtown?
Simple
More modern buildings
and more parking garages

I don't get the love that the Rainbow Bridge warrants. It's a bridge to nowhere. And so far, Dallas has mastered the Bridge to Nowhere.

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/hunthillbridge.JPG
http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/hunthillbridge.JPG

I lived in Tucson for 2 years (moved to LA this past July) and what Tucson needs is more residences in downtown. Dorms, condos, apartments, whatever. Especially since the streetcar is under construction which will quickly link the U of A with Downtown.

I also would want to see Tucson have more modern designed buildings but without clashing with the environment.

I would love to see more of this in downtown Tucson.

http://www.vegastodayandtomorrow.com/images/juhl-rendering.jpg
http://www.vegastodayandtomorrow.com/images/juhl-rendering.jpg

http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/detroitsuperiorlofts.jpg
http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/detroitsuperiorlofts.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb84/SnyderBock/2007-01-14_1755blake6.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb84/SnyderBock/2007-01-14_1755blake6.jpg

Anqrew
Apr 23, 2011, 8:55 PM
:previous: i agree, although these super projects like the Rainbow Bridge and giant stadiums are great ideas and would be awesome to have, it just isnt realistic or smart. the cost was like 300M right? that could do so much more with other projects, maybe once downtown has all the amenities and becomes a popular destination, we can start discussing plans for these large projects, but as of now the Rainbow Bridge definitely died many years ago.

bleunick
Apr 23, 2011, 8:56 PM
Yeah people need to stop talking about that stupid Rainbow Bridge. It was a ridiculous idea and was never going to get built. I mean even if the TCC hotel was built why would there be a significant amount of pedestrians down by I-10 anyway??? Arnt we building the street car and cushing st bridge to do basically the exact same thing? Dont get me wrong, i would LOVE for Tucson to build some sort of unique landmark, but i think something like a totally energy efficient modern tower off the grid would be a better choice then a pointless bridge.

acatalanb
Apr 23, 2011, 10:06 PM
I disagree, I'd still would love to see the Rainbow bridge and a tower and the museum district etc... However, I agree, Tucson downtown renovation should have started with adding more residences and mixed bag of local/big corporate retail/restaurants. Basically, flood downtown Tucson with mixed-used modern high rises. And yes, as I said over and over again, Tucson should build modern and NICER high rises. That west side development at the Mercado district, although nice, is a waste of real estate...I'd prefer mixed-used high rises (with a mini-walmart and mini-target store in the first few floors. Build the most likely revenue generating and practical elements in downtown and later, build the grandiose projects. I'm still scratching my head why the folks at COT started with the expensive grandiose projects...incompetence?, corruption?

The Rainbow Bridge, if built, will be one of America's great man made monuments along with the Gateway Arch, Statue of Liberty etc...

BrandonJXN
Apr 23, 2011, 10:12 PM
The Rainbow Bridge, if built, will be one of America's great man made monuments along with the Gateway Arch, Statue of Liberty etc...

Absolutely not.

What would be much more realistic and arguably better looking is to make a pedestrian bridge over the river linking the Mercado with downtown. Something like what San Diego did.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5041/5359661949_d193144b9a.jpg

acatalanb
Apr 24, 2011, 12:20 AM
Absolutely not.

What would be much more realistic and arguably better looking is to make a pedestrian bridge over the river linking the Mercado with downtown. Something like what San Diego did.

I wouldn't mind having that type of pedestrian bridge downtown AND the Rainbow Bridge. Light rail in downtown Tucson wasn't realistic few years ago ($200 million with 3.9 few miles). In fact, I thought light rail was dead when it was turned down by the voters in Phoenix way back in the late 80's. Consequently, Maricopa County is building a $340 million court tower (http://www.maricopa.gov/courttower/downloads/news/building_makes_fiscal_sense.htm). I think the $300 million Rainbow Bridge WILL be built. And it is absolutely one of the man made gems in America.

bleunick
Apr 24, 2011, 3:29 AM
The fact that the rainbow bridge is still even being mentioned is laughable. Its not ever going to be built. The reason the streetcar became a reality with its large budget is because of the incredible potential for private development and the huge TIGER grant awarded to us. So comparing the two dosnt really make sense.

On a different note, i found this rendering of the other UofA housing project downtown on Peach Properties website... I wish it was taller :(
http://peachprops.com/images/U-of-A-RFP-part-2-101.jpg

acatalanb
Apr 24, 2011, 3:56 AM
bleunick, it's too bad you feel that way. I think the Rainbow Bridge will be built. You don't. We have a disagreement and there's nothing more I can do to convince you to believe otherwise. The Rainbow Bridge will be funded either with private donations and/or low cost bonds according to Mayor Bob Walkup. He's aiming for the $120 million Rainbow Bridge (cheaper version not the $300 million). I'm hoping they changed their mind and build the $300 million bridge and that I admit may not be built. Either way, I think the Rainbow Bridge WILL be built.

As for that rendering above, just like the Plaza Centro, it looks like a building designed by an architect stuck in the 70's - translation, it's ugly. Hopefully, it looks better when it's done.

Ritarancher
Apr 24, 2011, 4:55 AM
I disagree, I'd still would love to see the Rainbow bridge and a tower and the museum district etc... However, I agree, Tucson downtown renovation should have started with adding more residences and mixed bag of local/big corporate retail/restaurants. Basically, flood downtown Tucson with mixed-used modern high rises. And yes, as I said over and over again, Tucson should build modern and NICER high rises. That west side development at the Mercado district, although nice, is a waste of real estate...I'd prefer mixed-used high rises (with a mini-walmart and mini-target store in the first few floors. Build the most likely revenue generating and practical elements in downtown and later, build the grandiose projects. I'm still scratching my head why the folks at COT started with the expensive grandiose projects...incompetence?, corruption?

Dallas' bridge doesn't look like it has have vivid colors and is very easy to stop and take a family picture next to. Rainbow Bridge will be over 300 feet tall and over 1-10, one of the longest freeways in the country. Rainbow Bridge will also be more than a bridge, with places and shops inside. GO RAINBOW BRIDGE!!!

Ritarancher
Apr 24, 2011, 5:00 AM
Absolutely not.

Rainbow Bridge will be more than a pedestrian bridge. It will be what makes Tucson famous. Unlike San Diego And Dallas , Tucson has nothing that's really famous all year. YEs we have the eltour de tucson but that's only one day.

Ritarancher
Apr 24, 2011, 5:09 AM
I did some research and the bridge in dallas is 400 feet tall at the peak BUT it only cost 93 million dollars and its main purpose isnt to be a landmark. Dallas mainly wanted a tacky bridge over some river. different idea

Anqrew
Apr 24, 2011, 5:14 AM
Rainbow Bridge will be more than a pedestrian bridge. It will be what makes Tucson famous. San Diego is already famous for the zoo and dallas is famous for many other things. Whats Tucson famous for? NOTHING!! Lets be like Seattle or St. Louis when the landmark came so did the towers.

the thing is, the phrases "rainbow bridge" and "rio nuevo" are basically taboo in tucson, no one brings it up without getting criticized, so unfortunately the rainbow bridge probably wont get any traction because of such negativity revolving around it, i thinks its best to move on and think of new ideas, something unique, the rainbow bridge emulates the gateway arch too much imo.

Anqrew
Apr 24, 2011, 5:18 AM
The fact that the rainbow bridge is still even being mentioned is laughable. Its not ever going to be built. The reason the streetcar became a reality with its large budget is because of the incredible potential for private development and the huge TIGER grant awarded to us. So comparing the two dosnt really make sense.

On a different note, i found this rendering of the other UofA housing project downtown on Peach Properties website... I wish it was taller :(
http://peachprops.com/images/U-of-A-RFP-part-2-101.jpg

oh and nice find, i think its an alright design nothing too striking nothing too dull so im fine with it, anything higher than 3 floors makes me a happy camper. also idk if anyones driven by Campbell/6th but it looks like construction is starting on the sam hughes apartments, i think its a 2 floor building... anyway it will add a nice addition to that corner which has just been a parking lot.

acatalanb
Apr 24, 2011, 1:09 PM
The pedestrian bridge and the tower proposed above are nice. I'd love to see it built downtown. If it were proposed to the Tucson public, I'd do what I can to have it built regardless of the cost. In fact, two pedestrian bridge with the Rainbow bridge in between, ain't bad. The Rainbow Bridge is more of a reality because Mayor Walkup, UA Pres. Shelton still support it and all the $$$ spent including the blueprints and design from a world famous architect are shelved. And, I might add, all the support and criticism from the public have been floating around over the years. Of course, let's not forget all the $$$ spent on consultants, whatever they did.

The Rainbow bridge is more than just a 'pedestrian' bridge, it's also a science museum. And maybe the $120 million preferred by Walkup is cost just to build the skin and bones of the bridge itself and add the museum elements later .... I think the city is aiming for incremental building (per available funding) in the museum district. Of course, things got more complicated with the Rio Nuevo Board on board the ship. Just my humble opinion. :)

Mini-target/Mini-walmart...maybe a Best Buy downtown WILL happen downtown. And yes, a cross-town freeway in Tucson WILL be built. Bring it on, NIMBY's!!

I personally think we're on the cusp of a massive wave of support in large 'infrastructure' projects in the coming years despite the massive gov't debt and the rants of political nutcases. The last 3 decades , finance and stock markets, dominates the fabric of American culture. Next 3 decades? massive infrastructure projects. This forum will be busy in coming decades.

acatalanb
Apr 24, 2011, 1:32 PM
Josh Brodesky: City to spend $590,000 for 8 artsy streetcar stops

Josh Brodesky Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 12:00 am

The modern streetcar will one day flow from University Medical Center to the west side. But there's a little different flow going on right now - money to a select group of artists who have been hired to dress up eight of 17 planned streetcar stops.

What will the projects look like?

We don't know.

That's because the city and the RTA chose to pay $590,000 for art at eight shelters along the route, even though the artists never submitted designs for what they might create. That's $73,750 a pop for the artsy dressing - not including the cost of architecture or engineering.

Try not to fall out of your chair.

All told, $765,000 will be spent on public art for the 3.9-mile route, which reflects the city's policy of spending 1 percent of construction costs on public art. Streetcar construction is pegged at $75 million, so the public art requirement is $750,000.

Fine. We all want a stylish streetcar line. But where the train jumps the tracks is how the money is being divvied up.

The streetcar route has 17 stops, which officials have split into two groups. There are nine "simple stops," adorned with just electronic poetry boards scrolling digital verse, at maybe a line at a time, like a stock ticker.

And there are eight "unique stops," which are getting the $73,750 treatment.

This in a town that can't afford to put bus shelters on the streets for people who actually need public transit. A town that lets young mothers bake in the sun, and elderly riders soak in the rain.

Neither the city nor the RTA, which are co-managing the streetcar project, had much to say about these high-priced artistic shelters. The RTA kicked the can to the city, which in turn kicked it over to Tucson Pima Arts Council, which awarded the contracts.

"We don't get that micro-involved in the actual art selection," RTA spokesman David Joseph told me. "We are looking for on time and on budget. That's our focus."

He meant that to be comforting.

Jim Glock, the city's transportation director, said his department defers to the Tucson Pima Arts Council on artistic matters. Never trust an engineer with art.

"We are actively involved, but we look to them for expertise with respect to how to package a call for artists," Glock said. "When we are looking for public art opportunities for the streetcar, clearly the stops surface as probably the most visible or noticeable portion."

Agreed. So why not spread the $750,000 around to all 17 shelters? That would still mean a little more than $44,000 for art at each streetcar stop, which seems like plenty of dough.

After all, back in 1998, the city built five artsy bus shelters for $15,000 each. Adjusted for inflation, those would cost $20,564 each today. That's for the shelter and the art. Certainly, there are plenty of artists in and around Tucson (and beyond) who would welcome such a commission.

But the train has already left the station on that one.

Mary Ellen Wooten, public art program manager for Tucson Pima Arts Council, said the decision to spend big was made a long time ago. The selection panel looked at light rail in Phoenix, where about $200,000 was spent on art at each of several metro stops. Since our stops will be about a third the size of the Phoenix stops, she said, the cost here should be about a third.

Wooten said TPAC wasn't just buying blind. She said the artists provided a selection panel with résumés, statements of interest and eight images of previous work. In the end the panel chose a mix of local and out-of-towners for the gigs.

"We are actually hoping to have the artist designs completed over the summer," she said.

So that's where things stand: $590,000 for eight shelter stops that have yet to be designed.

One of the big artistic themes with the streetcar is flow.

It's the driving concept for local artists Simon Donovon and Ben Olmstead, who hatched the scrolling poetry readers for the simple stops and are also doing art for a unique stop near the Poetry Center and for the maintenance yard. Streetcars flow and so do words (and so does money).

"The poems will be ever changing, with local poets, children's poetry and international poetry featured," Donovan wrote in an email. "The Poetry Center will be responsible for curating and programming the content. This is a poetry town."

It's also a mismanaged one. And soon we'll have the art to show it.

Contact columnist Josh Brodesky at 573-4242 or jbrodesky@azstarnet.com

Original article (http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_82939de1-c163-5317-9bcc-594661dac5c5.html)

acatalanb
Apr 24, 2011, 1:46 PM
UA housing on streetcar line a boon downtown

Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:00 am

Student housing downtown is a natural fit, and we commend the University of Arizona for pursuing two private-public partnerships that will bring about 1,000 students to the area by fall semester 2013.

The UA announced the partnerships Friday with local developers Peach Properties and Jim Campbell, who is working with Birmingham, Ala.-based Capstone Development Corp. Both projects are sited along the planned modern-streetcar line and will mix housing and retail spaces.

Campbell's and Capstone's 720-bed project will be on the east side of the Rialto Theatre at East Congress Street and Fourth Avenue with a second site across Congress next to the railroad tracks. Peach Properties' 320-bed project will be on East Broadway between South Fourth and South Herbert Avenues.

In selecting Campbell and Peach Properties, which is owned by Ron and Patricia Schwabe, the UA has chosen to partner with two developers who have strong track records of success.

Not only will these two projects inject much needed life into downtown revitalization efforts, but they will help address the university's need for more student housing while, hopefully, relieving some of the pressure that has created a market niche for minidorms.

The UA has grown to more than 38,000 students - and will almost certainly continue to grow - but by the fall semester the university will have maxed out its space for dorms with 7,500 beds on campus.

University officials told the Star's Becky Pallack last week the school's goal is to house all freshman in campus dorms before referring them to these two projects for their sophomore years.

For the UA, these partnerships reflect an increasing, and much needed, presence downtown, which includes the university's privately funded National Institute for Civil Discourse, at Broadway and Stone Avenue, and a set of classrooms at the corner of North Stone Avenue and Pennington Street.

It's hard to imagine downtown revitalization happening without a strong UA presence.

For the city, these partnerships offer some positive news for downtown revitalization and a sharp counter to the failure of Rio Nuevo. While Rio Nuevo has spent $230 million in public funds with little to show for it, these two projects offer an economic boost right away without any giveaways.

And finally, there is the modern-streetcar route. While many in the community have criticized the plan as a "streetcar to nowhere" because the 3.9-mile route will link University Medical Center with the west side, setting student housing along the route not only makes it more viable, but will strengthen ties between the university and downtown.

For too long, there hasn't been much of a connection between downtown and the university. These two housing projects finally offer the chance to change that.

Original Article (http://azstarnet.com/news/opinion/editorial/article_23a925a5-d112-5d55-a844-13c89dbac0ca.html)

acatalanb
Apr 24, 2011, 1:47 PM
Student housing on streetcar line can happen now

Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:00 am

The city's controversial minidorm ruling will almost certainly be settled in court. But the issue reflects a lack of planning on the parts of the city and the University of Arizona to address the growing need for more student housing.

The UA has grown to more than 38,000 students, but it can only provide beds for about 6,000 undergraduates with another 1,100 beds slated to be ready next year. That's led to a need for student housing that developers like Michael Goodman have exploited through minidorms. They saw a market niche, and they supersized it.

It can be easy to paint Goodman as the bad guy, just as it is easy to paint the neighbors as whiners. After all, Goodman has shown no regard for neighbors' concerns, building mammoth dorm-style homes next to longtime residents. These minidorms are magnets for parties, don't fit in with surrounding neighborhoods and obstruct views. And neighbors who have chosen to live near the university have complained about the student housing and all that comes with it.

But this whole issue has blown up because the university has been slow in pursuing development plans downtown. And the city has been slow in taking any kind of stance on minidorms.

Marketing agreements like the ones the UA now is considering with private developers to bring housing downtown would go a long way toward addressing the minidorm issue -much further than the coming court fight.

The UA is close to announcing an agreement to market student housing downtown with developers. The private-public partnership could bring as many as 1,200 students to downtown, the Star reported in March. With the planned 3.9-mile streetcar route connecting the west side with the university, and a collective yearning to see revitalization along that line, student housing downtown seems like a match that would boost retail and restaurants.

Developer Jim Campbell has plans for mixed-use student housing with 700 beds on the former Greyhound property on the east side of the Rialto Theatre. That's equivalent to 100 seven-bedroom minidorms.

Meanwhile, the West University Neighborhood Association has come to a verbal agreement with developers of a 756-room dorm-style complex at the old YMCA site at North Fifth Avenue and East Sixth Street, very close to the streetcar line.

These kinds of high-density projects along major roadways are appropriate for the area around the UA campus.

As for the controversial minidorm ruling, which designates minidorms as group housing, City Councilman Steve Kozachik is right to raise questions about its timing and impact. The ruling cites 12 reasons minidorms are group housing, including tenants' signing separate leases, a lack of a family relationships among tenants and rents' being collected individually.

"They've known about this problem for a decade," Kozachik told the Star. "All of a sudden (zoning administrator Craig Gross) decides to change the rules of the game."

Kozachik is right to criticize the timing, considering the city allowed minidorms to be built for years and allowed developers like Goodman to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, in them.

But there is also little doubt minidorms aren't anything but group housing. The city should have acted much sooner.

The ruling will be decided in court. But the market solution - high-density student housing along the streetcar line - can happen now.

Original Article (http://azstarnet.com/news/opinion/editorial/article_6b4bc218-9ab9-58fc-a280-76bc1d3c93ca.html)

acatalanb
Apr 24, 2011, 2:36 PM
Locals seek to set solar standards

David Wichner Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 12:00 am

Solar-energy professionals have launched a local industry-standards group - believed to be one of the first in the nation - to hold installers accountable for their work through inspections and a code of ethics.

The Southern Arizona Solar Standards Board invites solar-energy-equipment installers to join and pledge to meet minimum technical standards for installations and to follow ethical standards.

The group, formed in coordination with the Pima Association of Governments, has launched a website (solarstandards.org) with initial standards after holding an inaugural meeting attended by about 40 industry pros earlier this month.

SASSB's inaugural board of directors is chaired by Colleen Crowninshield, energy-programs manager for PAG. Other members are three solar installers, Kevin Koch of Technicians for Sustainability, George Villec of GeoInnovation LLC and Chad Waits of Net Zero Solar; and Ron Boose, who heads inspections as building official for the city of Tucson.

Tucson Electric Power Co. supports the effort but has no direct role.

Koch said the overall goal of SASSB is to help protect and strengthen the region's solar industry, so consumers get what they expect and continue to support solar energy. About a half-dozen companies are in the process of applying for membership, he said.

The group's strategy includes educating consumers about how to shop for solar and educating installers on proper procedures, as well as holding them accountable, Koch said.

SASSB members will be able to display the group's sunburst logo on their websites and advertising.

The group will accredit companies for solar electric, or photovoltaic, as well as solar hot-water systems.

One key accreditation requirement is that each company have at least one person on staff in the region who is certified, or in the process of being certified, by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners, a New York-based group that certifies solar installers and other renewable-energy pros.

"We're piggybacking on the work that NABCEP has done," Koch said.

The group's initial standards also prescribe minimum construction standards for solar electric and hot-water systems, and require a workmanship warranty of at least 10 years.

Learning from the past

Few complaints have been filed with local regulators and consumer advocates over bad solar installations, despite a sixfold increase in the number of installers in the past four years.

But Koch worries that the explosion of installation firms - fueled by tax credits and ratepayer subsidies - may give rise to problems that cropped up in the late 1970s and early '80s when lucrative federal tax breaks for solar water-heating systems fueled an industry boom.

When the tax credits expired and many installation companies folded, some consumers were left with shoddy installations and no one to turn to for repairs.

"Honestly, I think we're a hair a way from that," Koch said, adding that he's heard about a few cases of poor installations and low-performing systems sold at top dollar.

Boose said his city building inspectors have seen a variety of installation problems, such as improper wire routing and inadequate mounting, among some companies.

"In any expanding field like this, you get people coming in for the profits that aren't conscientious as they should be," he said.

But all problems must be corrected before the city will approve a building permit, and none of the installers have failed to fix problems cited by inspectors, Boose said. TEP requires that such local permits be approved before it will issue ratepayer-funded system rebates to customers, he noted.

Sales Practices

Beyond workmanship, SASSB aims to address some sales practices that can result in the kind of consumer disappointment that doesn't always result in a formal complaint.

The standards include some requirements for financial assumptions that are critical to accurately calculating system savings and payback periods.

For example, member companies must use standardized utility grid rates - 10 cents per kilowatt-hour for TEP - in calculations of costs avoided by installing solar. Member companies also must include an annual inflation assumption of 2 percent for electric rates, though they may include higher estimates as well.

Koch said some companies have used an annual inflation rate of 4 to 6 percent, though 2 percent is more realistic.

PAG's Crowninshield said the local government alliance is involved to help boost local solar adoption and help consumers make choices based on the best information.

"You haven't seen the widespread use of solar because the average consumer doesn't know where to get the best information," Crowninshield said, noting that SASSB may be the only local solar-standards group in the nation.

SASSB isn't about excluding new installers from the market, she said.

"But if they want to be here and installing here, they need to adhere to some best practices and be invested in the community," she said.

Charlie O'Dowd, president of Tucson-based Westcap Solar, said he supports the SASSB and plans to apply for membership.

"It gives one some level of legitimacy for companies that are truly professional," said O'Dowd, whose nearly three-year-old company employs 11 people.

TEP is a supporter

TEP strongly supports SASSB and plans to be a resource for the group, spokesman Joe Salkowski said.

While TEP lists licensed local installers on its website, Salkowski said the utility doesn't feel comfortable recommending installers, though some customers have asked for some sort of list of "approved" installers.

"SASSB can provide a service our customers are asking for," Salkowski said. "It provides some assurance of (installation) standards."

TEP, which inspects each solar installation on its system, hasn't seen major problems with solar installations, he added.

"By and large, we haven't seen any quality issues on a regional basis that give us cause for concern," Salkowski said. "We simply hope to prevent that from happening."

By the numbers

Fourteen

State-licensed solar installers serving Tucson Electric Power Co. service area*

Today

Installers in TEP area*

Residential photovoltaic systems installed in TEP territory

*Companies that submitted information to TEP

Solar standards

Some of the requirements of SASSB's initial standards for solar-energy installers:

• To qualify for membership, a company must have been in business at least two years and completed at least 10 utility-verified installations, which are subject to inspection.

• At least one full-time employee must be certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners or be in the process of certification.

• Companies must be in good standing with the Arizona Registrar of Contractors, deemed an "approved installer" with applicable utilities and be properly licensed through all applicable local authorities.

• Members must adhere to ethical sales practices and are subject to at least one inspection each year.

• SASSB dues, which will fund the group's inspection program, are based on the number of people a company employs, ranging from $300 annually for up to eight employees to $3,000 for firms with more than 251 employees.

More information

Go to the Southern Arizona Solar Standards Board website at solarstandards.org

Contact Assistant Business Editor David Wichner at dwichner@azstarnet.com or 573-4181.

Original Article (http://azstarnet.com/business/local/article_faa5677f-92d2-5eca-a53b-17a3da0ade4a.html)

BrandonJXN
Apr 24, 2011, 6:23 PM
I did some research and the bridge in dallas is 400 feet tall at the peak BUT it only cost 93 million dollars and its main purpose isnt to be a landmark. Dallas mainly wanted a tacky bridge over some river. different idea

Actually, the Margret Hill Hunt Bridge (the bridge I posted) is the first of three bridges all designed by Cavaltrava. It's also a link for a freeway to cross the Trinity River into western Dallas.

Here is the second bridge.

http://www.trinityrivercorridor.org/images/I30Bridge.jpg

Plus unlike the Santa Cruz, the Trinity has water in it year around. Which means water activities and park space and whatnot. So it wouldn't make sense to have a giant bridge over a wash in a desert.

Anqrew
Apr 25, 2011, 12:34 AM
Google Maps updated the satellite images of Tucson, the picture seems relatively recent as it shows the TEP building, Plaza Centro, the new UA dorms an all sorts of other things.

acatalanb
Apr 25, 2011, 9:40 PM
Arizona Wildcats athletics: New donations mean Arizona Stadium facelift could begin Jan. 1

By Patrick Finley, Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 1:16 pm

The Arizona Wildcats are more than one-third of the way toward their goal for Arizona Stadium's proposed north end zone construction project.

The UA today announced an $11 million anonymous gift, plus an extra $2 million from Jeff and Sharon Stevens. The Stevens family donated $10 million in November 2009.

Tucson auto dealer Jim Click pledged $2.5 million toward project, UA athletic director Greg Byrne said.

The Wildcats now have $25.5 million from those three donations, and about $27 million overall, toward the $72.3 million project.

The project would feature a multi-level building in the north end zone that holds 5,000 seats, a luxury loge area, cafeteria, football offices and locker room.

The Stevens family donations total $12 million and is the largest gift ever given to UA athletics.

"We feel very strongly this is something that needs to get done," Jeff Stevens said.

The second-largest is the $11 million anonymous donation from a family those members are "longtime supporters of the athletic department and the university," Byrne said.

With the gifts, Byrne said, the Wildcats can assemble a financial model to bring to the Arizona Board of Regents' capital committee in May and the full board in June.

If approved, the UA could break ground as early as Jan. 1.

Original Article (http://azstarnet.com/sports/football/college/wildcats/article_a2befeb6-6f79-11e0-8360-001cc4c03286.html)

:previous: This goes to show that Tucsonans are that generous and the UA are quite good in seeking donations. I remember just a few years ago in the mid-2000's , the UA was able to collect around $1 billion worth of donations from all over. Private donations for the UA Science Center (the Rainbow Bridge and adjoining buildings) downtown is not impossible to collect.

acatalanb
Apr 25, 2011, 9:48 PM
Imago Dei Middle School is moving Downtown

April 11, 2011 By Teya Vitu

Spring break will be moving week for Imago Dei Middle School, 639 N. Sixth Ave.

They will be transporting the school’s belongings through the Sixth Avenue underpass to their new home in the former Sears Executive Center building, 51 and 55 N. Sixth Ave.

This plants the private school for low-income families across the street from the Ronstadt Transit Center. If all goes according to plan, Imago Dei will holding class Downtown by April 25, said The Rev. Anne Sawyer, head of the school.

“We had an option to stay in our present location,” Sawyer said. “There were several other locations we looked at. We chose this one because we want to cultivate relations with civic leaders. We want to be seen and embraced by the larger Tucson community.”

As has happened repeatedly in the past year, Fletcher McCusker, CEO of Providence Service Corp. played a crucial role to bring Imago Dei to Downtown, as he did with the Sonoran Institute and Buffalo Exchange and creating 2nd Saturdays. Imago Dei and Providence are co-leasing the Sears Executive Center.

Sawyer met McCusker through a donor to Imago Dei, and McCusker visited the school’s campus at Sixth Avenue and Fourth Street.

“Our lease was up in May,” Sawyer said. “In many ways, he courted us to come Downtown.”

Imago Dei received one of the three Façade Improvement Program grants from the Downtown Tucson Partnership that will be used to give a more colorful paint job to the green structure. The grant is for up to $5,000 and Imago Dei must match the grant.

Imago Dei is an Episcopal school for fifth to eighth grade students who qualify for free and reduced price lunch. School co-founders Sawyer and Susan Anderson-Smith decided to add fifth grade to establish relationships with students before hormones take hold.

Education is free for students, funded by private donations.

“We want to provide private school education for children who can’t afford to attend private school,” Sawyer said. “The overarching mission of our school is to break the cycle of poverty through education. We want to use the middle school years to interact in their lives so they can be successful in high school.”

Imago Dei opened with five students in 2006, a student population that has grown to 75. The move expands the school’s space from 6,300 square feet to 25,000 square feet.

This will allow Imago Dei to bring in parent volunteers to answer phones, man the front desk, serve meals and help in the classroom. Parent volunteering is expected in lieu of tuition payments.

“One of the reasons we’re excited about moving is the ability to involve parents more,” Sawyer said. “Families play a critical role in the education of their children. Teachers are in constant communication with parents. We meet with our parent on an ongoing basis.”

Susan Anderson-Smith modeled Imago Dei after Epiphany School in Dorchester, Mass., and she brought on Sawyer, who had worked many years on Chicago’s impoverished west and south sides.

Imago Dei is one of 64 schools in 27 states that are part of the NativityMiguel Network of Schools established in July 2006 to guide schools that are designed to provide families struggling in impoverished neighborhoods with a high-quality school choice for their children.

The school is also a member of the National Association of Episcopal Schools.

Being across from the Ronstadt Transit Center could make getting to school easier for some students and teachers.

“Several of our children take the city bus,” Sawyer said. “We will encourage other students to take public transportation.”

Some teachers may also take the bus, but several, including Sawyer, already live within walking distance of the school in the West University Neighborhood.

The move Downtown enhances the school’s activities-based teaching.

“We try to bring learning to life by taking children out of the classroom,” Sawyer said. “We’ll be able to hop on the light rail and go to the university. We go to Arizona Theater Company on a regular basis. We go to the symphony on a regular basis.

“There’s a tremendous amount of energy in Downtown these days. There’s good energy and people making a decision to be part of a positive change.”

:previous: This is one of the buildings awarded for a facade renovation. The building is an old and lovely art deco designed building to be painted green (I believe).

Ritarancher
Apr 26, 2011, 2:50 AM
The 120 million skeleton isnt a bad idea for rainbow bridge as long as the bridge is 300 feet high.

300 Their has been talk about finding ways to refill the Santa Cruz River so don't go criticizing it too much.

bleunick
Apr 26, 2011, 3:51 AM
I dont know if anyone on here is real interested in the new north end zone project at Arizona Stadium, but there are some renderings at the bottom of this KOLD news page.

http://www.kold.com/story/14511169/arizona-football-athletic-dept-receives-huge-donation-for-northend-zone-project

Anqrew
Apr 26, 2011, 7:27 AM
:previous: great renderings of the stadium

and heres whats started construction on Campbell and 6th.
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/217690_191081130936201_190776800966634_527775_5196174_n.jpg

acatalanb
Apr 26, 2011, 1:00 PM
:previous: I didn't know that the U was even upgrading the stadium until yesterday. Those renderings look nice and it brings comfort that it's unlikely they will look worst when it's done . Sometime in the summer when students are away, I'll try to take photos of the U and the surrounding area and post it. There's this one shot I'm trying to capture facing west during sunset/sunrise from university blvd when the sky turns to reddish orange with the Tucson mountains in the foreground.

acatalanb
Apr 26, 2011, 1:42 PM
Carondelet, UA medical college split $9M gift

Stephanie Innes Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:00 am

The roughly $9 million estate of a Tucson couple will go to the Carondelet Health Network and the University of Arizona with a purpose of improving local health care.

The Carondelet Health Network today is expected to announce its $4.5 million gift from Sam and Winifred "Quiggy" Witt - the single largest private gift in recent Carondelet history.

Original Article (http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article_52fb506a-c251-5600-ad2d-353742e00e42.html)

:previous: Another generous donation from a Tucsonan to the U.

PHX31
Apr 26, 2011, 3:54 PM
Gifts to colleges and universities are awesome. I hope it goes to good use.

Off topic, kind of: Are people really trying to call UofA "the U" now? I've also seen someone try calling it "THE University of Arizona".

The U is the University of Miami - they should be the only ones that can use that.

and saying "THE" before any school was started by and should only be used by Ohio State.

Maybe you were just trying to save time typing in your post, and no one really says that stuff in Tucson for real. If not, UofA people need to find something more original.
:cheers:

Buckeye Native 001
Apr 26, 2011, 5:33 PM
I was hoping "Zona" would catch on more than it has, but alas...

As a Buckeye fan (and Ohio native), the insistance on using "The" before the school's name is pretentious.

Thirsty
Apr 26, 2011, 7:10 PM
:previous: I didn't know that the U was even upgrading the stadium until yesterday. Those renderings look nice and it brings comfort that it's unlikely they will look worst when it's done .

Not only that Jan. 1012 project, but as soon as the stadium dorms empty, construction will resume on the new South-end video-scoreboard (notice in this rendering, a basketball court is superimposed to show the scale of the screen)

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/974/974/50307.jpg

I haven't seen any drawing of what it might look like from 6th street. Fingers crossed it looks OK.

Anqrew
Apr 26, 2011, 7:12 PM

Off topic, kind of: Are people really trying to call UofA "the U" now? I've also seen someone try calling it "THE University of Arizona".

The U is the University of Miami - they should be the only ones that can use that.

and saying "THE" before any school was started by and should only be used by Ohio State.

Maybe you were just trying to save time typing in your post, and no one really says that stuff in Tucson for real. If not, UofA people need to find something more original.

hmm i dont think ive heard it called that, i still call it just plain ole "U of A", sometimes "the U of A" lol

Thirsty
Apr 26, 2011, 7:17 PM

Nobody says "the U" when talking about Arizona sports. I don't think anyone would want that association. Still, I've heard it in Tucson and other cities as well. It isn't an uncommon verbal shorthand in university towns when talking about the local university or it's neighborhood.

Anqrew
Apr 26, 2011, 7:22 PM
Not only that Jan. 1012 project, but as soon as the stadium dorms empty, construction will resume on the new South-end video-scoreboard (notice in this rendering, a basketball court is superimposed to show the scale of the screen)

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/974/974/50307.jpg

I haven't seen any drawing of what it might look like from 6th street. Fingers crossed it looks OK.

i noticed they got rid of all the trees along 6th street next to the stadium

acatalanb
Apr 26, 2011, 9:44 PM
:shrug: What can I say? I've heard people say 'U' for years in Tucson referring to the UofA (not University of Alabama or University of Alaska or even University of Albania). Sorry if I offended anyone's Alma Mater ;)

yours truly,
A Wildcat

bleunick
Apr 26, 2011, 11:20 PM
i noticed they got rid of all the trees along 6th street next to the stadium

Yeah im not real big on this new scoreboard thing. Im sure replays and everything will look amazing on it from inside the stadium, but its really going to be an eyesore from 6th street.

Ted Lyons
Apr 27, 2011, 6:32 AM

I've never heard anyone call it "The U." However, "The University of Arizona" is the official name of the school. When you do business with the school, the "T" in "The" is always capitalized, even mid-sentence. The capitalized "The" has also become a cornerstone of the school's television advertising. This has been the case for the past several years.

atbg8654
Apr 27, 2011, 6:58 AM
http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/files/2008/11/l102147-101.jpg

Wish the unborn Unisource tower plat can have a home soon

Anqrew
Apr 27, 2011, 7:48 AM
:previous: me too! if they build something on it, it needs to be a new tallest.

in this image from a pdf made in 2007 it shows that land as being developed in 5 years which is in 2012, however most of the projects on the list have been delayed by a factor of 1.5 to 2, if not cancelled completely, so id say something will be proposed around 2014 to 2016 for that site.
http://i53.tinypic.com/2ibzzmf.png

and heres a link to the PDF if you want the large version
http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/sites/default/files/imported/resources/publications/DTInfrastructureStudy.pdf

acatalanb
Apr 27, 2011, 1:05 PM
:previous: I'd be interested myself what the new proposals would be. Ah yes, I remember that high rise condo/restaurant proposal in front of the Joel Valdez library (Jacome Plaza) and before that, new city hall . I'd love to see a high rise (20-30 floors or higher) built with apts/condos/boutique hotel on top and retail/business offices the first few floors somewhere downtown .... i'd move in .

acatalanb
Apr 27, 2011, 1:16 PM
UA Tree-Ring Lab getting new home

TUCSON, AZ (THE UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA) - After 75 years in "temporary quarters" under the University of Arizona's football stadium, the world's first laboratory dedicated to tree-ring research will have a new home.

The groundbreaking ceremony for the Bryant Bannister Tree-Ring Building, named for the UA Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research's director emeritus, will be held on Tuesday, May 3 at 11 a.m. at the UA Highlands Commons. Attendance at the ceremony is by invitation only but is open to the media.

Speakers will include UA President Robert N. Shelton, UA Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research Director Emeritus Bryant Bannister, UA Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research Director Thomas W. Swetnam and UA College of Science Dean Joaquin Ruiz.

The study of the annual rings of trees, known as dendrochronology, was invented by lab founder Andrew E. Douglass more than a century ago. Douglass, who came to the UA in 1906, pioneered the use of tree rings to date the ancient ruins of cliff dwellings.

The Bryant Bannister Tree-Ring Building will incorporate the Mathematics East building in an unusual multi-level design.

"It's a tree house, basically, an elevated canopy with a stem," said Swetnam.

On the ground level, the "tree trunk" will have public exhibit space and a multipurpose room that will serve as an auditorium and as a teaching lab. Above that will be two floors of laboratory and office space "in the canopy." Those upper floors will be wider than the floor beneath, thus giving the idea of a tree canopy that provides shade to the ground below.

The outer shell of "the canopy" will be a screen on the east, west and south sides that will minimize heat input to the building. The screen is designed to move slightly, evoking the rustling of a tree in the wind. The north side of the building will be uncovered, providing natural light for the building and a view toward the mountains.

The building is designed to meet or exceed the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design rating of silver.

The new building's first-floor exhibit hall will showcase the 2 ton, 10-foot-diameter cross-section of a giant sequoia given to Douglass in the 1930s by the superintendent of Sequoia National Park.

"For generations it was a museum piece that every school kid in Tucson remembers seeing," Swetnam said. The cross-section had been on display in the old Arizona State Museum building.

The award-winning team of James Richärd, Kelly Bauer and Stephen Kennedy of Richärd + Bauer Architecture, LLC, designed the building.

The team, all UA alumni, also designed the UA's Meinel Optical Sciences Expansion, which received a 2007 American Institute of Architects National Honor Award for Architecture and has been named as one of Arizona's 18 Greatest Architectural Achievements.

The basement of the Mathematics East building, which currently houses the lab's collections of bristlecone pine and sequoia, the shop and some lab space, will be renovated. The lab's archaeological samples, currently in the West Stadium, will then be moved to the Mathematics East basement.

Actual groundbreaking for the building is scheduled for late spring or early summer.

Those portions of the Bryant Bannister Tree-Ring Building are scheduled for completion in late 2012 – the year the lab turns 75.

The new construction will provide 17,300 square feet of usable space – about 7,000 square feet more than the space the Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research is currently using in the West Stadium.

The new construction plus the renovation of the Mathematics East basement is primarily funded by a $9 million private donation from Agnese Nelms Haury.

"Agnese has been a great friend to the tree-ring lab and other departments on campus," Swetnam said. "She's been incredibly generous and supportive of the tree-ring laboratory and of the School of Anthropology on campus. She is really visionary about the unique strengths and importance of these units."

In a subsequent phase of construction, a modern, climate-controlled archive will be built in the Mathematics East building to house the lab's extensive collection of wood samples, ranging from pencil-thin cores of trees to 7-foot-diameter cross-sections of giant sequoias. The irreplaceable samples, the work of scores of scientists starting with lab founder Andrew E. Douglass, are still used by researchers as they continue to explore the wealth of information recorded in tree rings.

The collection is estimated to contain more than 2 million individual pieces of wood. Once complete, the new archive will allow the lab to double the amount of wood samples in the collection.

The lab recently received a $425,000 grant from the National Park Service and National Endowment for the Humanities' Save America's Treasures Program. The funds will be used to purchase mechanical-compact shelving units to store the collection.

Douglass and his student Emil Haury used tree rings to date the great ruins of the Southwest, including those at Chaco Culture National Historical Park and Mesa Verde National Park. Their 1929 breakthrough made the field of dendrochronology world-famous, said Swetnam. Their work gave archaeologists the critical tool they needed to pinpoint the occupation dates for nearly all of the prehistoric pueblos in the region.

Haury went on to become one of the preeminent figures in Southwest archaeology, head of the UA anthropology department and director of the Arizona State Museum. He also mentored three of Douglass's successors, including Bannister.

Agnese Nelms Lindley married Emil Haury in 1990. The two had been friends since the mid-1960s, when she worked on Haury's excavations at Snaketown, an extensive Hohokam archaeological site near Casa Grande, Ariz. Emil Haury died in 1992 at age 88.

Agnese Haury's own remarkable career spans 60 years. She graduated with degrees from Bryn Mawr College and Wheaton College, and visited, worked and lived in more than 60 countries. She worked for, among others, the United Nations and the Woodrow Wilson Foundation.

(Copyright 2011 by the University of Arizona. All Rights Reserved.)

Original Article (http://www.kold.com/story/14522594/ua-tree-ring)

Thirsty
May 1, 2011, 9:49 AM
Local real estate agent Raj Kohli is still talking fast (faster than a reporter can take notes) about putting a Bellagio-style fountain in downtown Tucson.

Kohli has garnered a group of core supporters for his vision of a downtown plaza - south of Congress Street and east of the Interstate 10 frontage road - that would include illuminated geysers of water shooting skyward in sync with music.

"The question is not whether we should have this," Kohli said at a recent meeting where he spoke to about 10 people interested in his idea. "The question is why haven't we done this already."

Just who would pay for Kohli's $285 million plaza, which would include restaurants, shops, nightclubs, office space and condos, still isn't clear. But Kohli said it would work best as a public-private partnership.

Kohli is committed to the idea. And he's passionate. At the meeting, which took place at the Southern Arizona Green Chamber of Commerce, 44 E. Broadway, he said he's looking for the same commitment from others.

"At this point I'm looking for active participation," he said. For more information: www.tucsonfountainplaza.com

acatalanb
May 1, 2011, 12:40 PM
Local real estate agent Raj Kohli is still talking fast (faster than a reporter can take notes) about putting a Bellagio-style fountain in downtown Tucson.

Kohli has garnered a group of core supporters for his vision of a downtown plaza - south of Congress Street and east of the Interstate 10 frontage road - that would include illuminated geysers of water shooting skyward in sync with music.

"The question is not whether we should have this," Kohli said at a recent meeting where he spoke to about 10 people interested in his idea. "The question is why haven't we done this already."

Just who would pay for Kohli's $285 million plaza, which would include restaurants, shops, nightclubs, office space and condos, still isn't clear. But Kohli said it would work best as a public-private partnership.

Kohli is committed to the idea. And he's passionate. At the meeting, which took place at the Southern Arizona Green Chamber of Commerce, 44 E. Broadway, he said he's looking for the same commitment from others.

"At this point I'm looking for active participation," he said. For more information: www.tucsonfountainplaza.com

It's a good idea but I don't think it would take off beyond it's ugly rendering. First, the name Humberto Lopez is attached to this project. Second, weren't there 3 proposals last February for this type of project on the current Greyhound Depot by I-10 not far from this plaza? For some reason those 3 proposals weren't made public.

Here's the Pelli Clarke Pelli Architect website (http://www.pcparch.com/#/projects/new-work/moody-gardens-phase-vi-master-plan-and-a/) that has an almost similar idea with fountains but it's located in Galveston, Texas .

Btw, I'd rather have something similar to Galveston's Moody Garden in place of the convento/mission gardens ... it would be a good match with the UA Science Center. Moody Garden has a rainforest and arctic tundra environment and I supposed they are housed at that biosphere dome.

I filled that form from tucsonfountainplaza.com asking NOT to build that piece of crap downtown and sent them a link of Moody Garden in place of the convento/mission garden.

acatalanb
May 1, 2011, 8:02 PM
Here's a modern looking museum from Mexico (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=16533) . These are the kinds of museums that Tucson needs to build to house UA's large southwestern collections (my understanding they are running out of space).

World Architecture site (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.shownewsinpictures&page=1)

somethingfast
May 1, 2011, 8:25 PM
http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/files/2008/11/l102147-101.jpg

Wish the unborn Unisource tower plat can have a home soon

Holy cr*p, I remember that picture from a magazine in 1986 that showed all of the "future" development that, obviously, never occurred in Tucson. I think it was Tucson Lifestyle magazine if I remember correctly. Yes, would have been cool to get that 2nd tower but, honestly, and just for the sake of pure conjecture here, I wish Arizona would get over the obsession of building two average height towers in place of one actual scraper (Renaissance One and Two in Phoenix, case in point). We'd could've had a 52-story tower in Phoenix!

acatalanb
May 1, 2011, 9:50 PM
Holy cr*p, I remember that picture from a magazine in 1986 that showed all of the "future" development that, obviously, never occurred in Tucson. I think it was Tucson Lifestyle magazine if I remember correctly. Yes, would have been cool to get that 2nd tower but, honestly, and just for the sake of pure conjecture here, I wish Arizona would get over the obsession of building two average height towers in place of one actual scraper (Renaissance One and Two in Phoenix, case in point). We'd could've had a 52-story tower in Phoenix!

I remember way back in the late 80's when I was living in Phoenix, there was a proposal to build THE TALLEST skyscraper in the WORLD. Sadly, it was turned down.

When I moved down Tucson (1990), someone told me there was a height limit ordinance on buildings (probably, don't have it now). I agree, the whole, f***in state need to f***in grow up! I doubt it would change given the unfortunate "situation" we are in .

combusean
May 1, 2011, 9:56 PM
^ The only specific case I know of where two average height towers were built instead of one big one in Phoenix was regarding the Phelps Dodge/Engle Homes/Arizona Business Bank tower complex in Midtown.

The world's tallest that was proposed here was never remotely realistic. If it were conceivably allowed to get started it probably would be a half built shell today.

somethingfast
May 1, 2011, 10:39 PM
I remember way back in the late 80's when I was living in Phoenix, there was a proposal to build THE TALLEST skyscraper in the WORLD. Sadly, it was turned down.

When I moved down Tucson (1990), someone told me there was a height limit ordinance on buildings (probably, don't have it now). I agree, the whole, f***in state need to f***in grow up! I doubt it would change given the unfortunate "situation" we are in .

I don't believe Tucson has a height limit but I could be wrong. TIA and DM are close but not sure close enough to warrant that.

somethingfast
May 1, 2011, 10:41 PM
^ The only specific case I know of where two average height towers were built instead of one big one in Phoenix was regarding the Phelps Dodge/Engle Homes/Arizona Business Bank tower complex in Midtown.

The world's tallest that was proposed here was never remotely realistic. If it were conceivably allowed to get started it probably would be a half built shell today.

Yeah, I remember the proposal. Just a pipe dream by some Dutch "investor". It did make national news though in print...I remember reading the article in the Washington Post! I'm crossing my fingers that someday Phoenix will get a 50+ story tower...that would be enough!

Thirsty
May 1, 2011, 11:35 PM
Nothing says third-world like a gargantuan tower in a field of two-story buildings.

Until our pueblo becomes an Oil Emirate, let's stick to building a city in the latino/euro tradition. 3-10 floors of multi-use with ample public spaces and walkable streets.

Thirsty
May 1, 2011, 11:48 PM
How can Tucson address the misconception of there being no parking downtown?

This seems like a common problem. Have other cities addressed it directly, or just build enough attractions to draw people regardless?

combusean
May 2, 2011, 12:12 AM
Tucson apparently has a 300' height limit in the OCR-2 (Office, Commercial, Residential) high-rise zoning district. source (http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/sites/default/files/imported/codes/luc/zonecht1.pdf)

Here is the OCR-2 zoning district in Downtown Tucson:

http://emvis.net/~sean/ssp/tucson_ocr-2.png

Tucson GIS flash thingy (http://maps.tucsonaz.gov/pdsd/index.html)

somethingfast
May 2, 2011, 2:05 PM
Tucson apparently has a 300' height limit in the OCR-2 (Office, Commercial, Residential) high-rise zoning district. source (http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/sites/default/files/imported/codes/luc/zonecht1.pdf)

Here is the OCR-2 zoning district in Downtown Tucson:

http://emvis.net/~sean/ssp/tucson_ocr-2.png

Tucson GIS flash thingy (http://maps.tucsonaz.gov/pdsd/index.html)

300 feet from some arbitrary height I'm guessing...UniSource Tower (or whatever it's called) is over 300' I believe. Like 306' I think? Emporis has it taller than that but I don't think it's more than 310'.

acatalanb
May 4, 2011, 1:19 PM
:previous: 300 ft' height limit? Why is Tucson destroying itself ? :(

combusean
May 4, 2011, 6:15 PM
If the height limit in tucson mattered, you'd see more than one or two buildings scrape it.

The last thing you want to deal with is overzoning and height limits that exceed demand. The perimeter of Downtown Phoenix looks like Iraq precisely because everything is zoned for highrises more than the market can support. That plethora of highrise zoning in Downtown Phoenix has only benefitted land bankers and pseudodevelopers who have wreaked havoc on downtown.

You guys are stuck in the mantra of this town in the sixties that screwed it the hell over. Manhattan is not the paradigm of the desert southwest. You can't just zone tall and expect something to end up there magically.

acatalanb
May 4, 2011, 8:16 PM
If the height limit in tucson mattered, you'd see more than one or two buildings scrape it.

The last thing you want to deal with is overzoning and height limits that exceed demand. The perimeter of Downtown Phoenix looks like Iraq precisely because everything is zoned for highrises more than the market can support. That plethora of highrise zoning in Downtown Phoenix has only benefitted land bankers and pseudodevelopers who have wreaked havoc on downtown.

You guys are stuck in the mantra of this town in the sixties that screwed it the hell over. Manhattan is not the paradigm of the desert southwest. You can't just zone tall and expect something to end up there magically.

Hmmm. Interesting. Isn't Vegas becoming a mini-Manhattan? Never been in Denver but looking at the photos, isn't Denver or Texas cities like Austin/Houston/Dallas becoming a mini-Manhattan?

I think that 300 ft height limit is outdated. It needs to be changed.

bleunick
May 4, 2011, 8:52 PM
I find it hard to believe that the reason we dont have many tall buildings is because of our 300ft zoning limitation. I agree that 300 feet is kinda low, but if the zoning is really restricting any chance of significant vertical growth wouldnt we be seeing even a little bit of demand for a new 300ish footer? i could be wrong though.

acatalanb
May 4, 2011, 9:07 PM
I find it hard to believe that the reason we dont have many tall buildings is because of our 300ft zoning limitation. I agree that 300 feet is kinda low, but if the zoning is really restricting any chance of significant vertical growth wouldnt we be seeing even a little bit of demand for a new 300ish footer? i could be wrong though.

I agree. Tucson has a growing population. And how much more cactus are we gonna destroy? Might as well build up instead. If an investor thinks that there is a market to build a high rise above 300 ft then allow him to build it. If the investor 'overbuilds' and didn't get enough clients in his over 300 ft building, that's the investors problem. :tup:

Over the years, I've read so many proposals about building high rises in Tucson and later never came to fruition. Obviously, there is a demand for those high rises otherwise the investors/developers won't be proposing it. Would love to know the real reason why each of those proposals where cancelled.

PHX31
May 4, 2011, 10:56 PM
Would love to know the real reason why each of those proposals where cancelled.

Because most of those developers likely never had any real intention of building the high-rise... they were just trying to get their piece of land rezoned or "up-zoned" for more/higher entitlements, thus making their land more valuable to sell later.

If there was real demand for more towers, there would be more towers.

HooverDam
May 4, 2011, 11:12 PM
Hmmm. Interesting. Isn't Vegas becoming a mini-Manhattan? Never been in Denver but looking at the photos, isn't Denver or Texas cities like Austin/Houston/Dallas becoming a mini-Manhattan?

I think that 300 ft height limit is outdated. It needs to be changed.

Learn from Phoenix's mistake, stick with the 300 foot limit. There's barely any demand for high rise office in Phoenix, so in Tucson its going to be even less.

If you want urban/downtown Tucson to succeed focus on 3-8 story buildings with mixed uses. Skylines are nice, but often thats just pubescent dick waving. Would you rather have a great skyline or great urban mid-rise streets like they have in Paris, DC & Boston?

acatalanb
May 4, 2011, 11:57 PM
Because most of those developers likely never had any real intention of building the high-rise... they were just trying to get their piece of land rezoned or "up-zoned" for more/higher entitlements, thus making their land more valuable to sell later.

If there was real demand for more towers, there would be more towers.

Interesting. Is there a way to guarantee to build the exact number of height?

acatalanb
May 5, 2011, 12:12 AM
Learn from Phoenix's mistake, stick with the 300 foot limit. There's barely any demand for high rise office in Phoenix, so in Tucson its going to be even less.

If you want urban/downtown Tucson to succeed focus on 3-8 story buildings with mixed uses. Skylines are nice, but often thats just pubescent dick waving. Would you rather have a great skyline or great urban mid-rise streets like they have in Paris, DC & Boston?

I don't mind having mid-rise streets like Paris. I also don't mind building taller high rises. If a developer wants to build taller high rises greater than 300 ft, let him. And if this same developer failed to lure enough tenants in his 300 ft or higher high rise, that's the developer's problem. If there is no demand for high rises greater than 300 ft in Tucson, then don't build it.

Thirsty
May 5, 2011, 6:15 AM
If a developer wants to build taller high rises greater than 300 ft, let him. And if this same developer failed to lure enough tenants in his 300 ft or higher high rise, that's the developer's problem.

And then the bankrupt obelisk casting its dilapidated shadow of embarrassment over the city magically disappears right? ;)

There could be an ordinance that prevents TIA from expanding passenger capacity to the point of rivaling Denver or Houston or any western "skyline" city, but I wouldn't say it is holding the city back.

somethingfast
May 5, 2011, 12:03 PM
I don't mind having mid-rise streets like Paris. I also don't mind building taller high rises. If a developer wants to build taller high rises greater than 300 ft, let him. And if this same developer failed to lure enough tenants in his 300 ft or higher high rise, that's the developer's problem. If there is no demand for high rises greater than 300 ft in Tucson, then don't build it.

It's been 25 years now since Tucson last saw a 20+ story building go up. And it's still the only one in town now. The BofA tower is only 19 stories I think. The point is, even with a million people now, the economic base that Tucson has just doesn't drive the need for lots of high-density white collar office space. I wish it was different but it will be a long time before another 20+ story speculative tower is built. Just my personal guess...

acatalanb
May 5, 2011, 1:52 PM
If Tucson can't or doesn't build a 300+ ft building in the next hundred years, that's unfortunate and I'll just have to accept that reality. However, just like anything in life, anything can happen. Someone in California with loads of cash might want to build a 500 ft high rise after a massive earthquake/tsunami .

My issue here is that why the 300 ft height limit? (It may be a NIMBY limit, my good guess). Maybe that's the reason why there's this Az obessesion of building twin towers. A developer can't build a 600 ft tower so he/she would be force to build two 300 ft tower instead. ;)

HooverDam
May 5, 2011, 7:26 PM

Some developer getting rights to build a 500 foot building and then it sitting empty is far more than just the developers problem. That would be bad for all of Tucson and hurt the image and appeal of building such buildings in the future.

I don't know why you can't look an hour and a half to the North and see plainly that your wish to over zone is fool hearty. 300 feet may even bee too much of a limit for Tucson, I'm not sure what the extent of land banking is down there. If you up zone those parcels you'll get more land banking as "developers" hold onto the parcels for generations hoping to cash in on some mega project down the road.

Tucson is essentially an overgrown college town. Its not a huge corporate center and it likely never will be with Phoenix casting its shadow so near by. Focus on mid-rise development and you'll have a unique, sustainable, walkable city.

Obsessing over tall buildings and skylines reeks of adolescent thinking.

BrandonJXN
May 5, 2011, 10:29 PM
In a city like Tucson, mid rises (5-7 stories) in it's downtown is what will make it a strong city. But more importantly, it's what's on the bottom and how well it integrates into the cityscape.

acatalanb
May 6, 2011, 12:57 AM
Obsessing over tall buildings and skylines reeks of adolescent thinking.

ok man, just calm down. Let's just agree to disagree.

HooverDam
May 6, 2011, 1:08 AM
ok man, just calm down. Let's just agree to disagree.

I'm perfectly calm. I'd love to see Tucson succeed, most everyone in Arizona would, what's good for Tucson is good for the whole state. But obsessing over tall buildings is something all of us architecture and urban nerds do when we're 15.

What your advocating for was tried in Phoenix, it was an obvious failure and hugely detrimental to our urban core, yet you want to try it in Tucson- why? What's the up side? Tucson gets maybe one 400 foot building in the next 25 years along with dozens of razed dirt lots. Is that a trade off you're willing to make?

acatalanb
May 6, 2011, 1:23 AM
I'm perfectly calm. I'd love to see Tucson succeed, most everyone in Arizona would, what's good for Tucson is good for the whole state. But obsessing over tall buildings is something all of us architecture and urban nerds do when we're 15.

What your advocating for was tried in Phoenix, it was an obvious failure and hugely detrimental to our urban core, yet you want to try it in Tucson- why? What's the up side? Tucson gets maybe one 400 foot building in the next 25 years along with dozens of razed dirt lots. Is that a trade off you're willing to make?

I'll pass answering your question. You are taking this too personal. :)

HooverDam
May 6, 2011, 1:35 AM
I'll pass answering your question. You are taking this too personal. :)

How am I taking it personal? I just told you I'm calm, I'll tell you again now.

Please, what's the upside of your plan? Why would zoning up to 500 feet or more in Tucson not have the same effect it had on Central PHX? What large corporations are knocking down Tucson's doors to build towers? How does Tucson plan to attract corporations in need of these 300' plus towers?

Its nice to have a dream and think big, but there ought to be some realism too. I don't think you want Tucson having more dirt lots like Downtown Phoenix does. Tucson should focus on mid-rise and mixed use, its what's best for that City.

somethingfast
May 6, 2011, 2:24 AM
It's not only amusing arguing about the "next" tower in Tucson but it's also a total waste of time! Hey, what does that say about my life then??? :(

Funny, I used to spend hours drawing fantasy skylines for Tucson when I was 15...23 years later...nothing has changed!!!

Get a life before it's too late I tells ya! :haha:

acatalanb
May 6, 2011, 10:28 AM
Looks like I triggered a firestorm.

HooverDam
May 6, 2011, 2:22 PM
Looks like I triggered a firestorm.

hahahahha.

Lets recap this situation:

Acatalanb: I think Tucsons height limit should be raised.

HooverDam: Thats silly, look north at Phoenix, its not such a good idea. Now that Ive explained that, do you see how its bad?

Acatalanb: Whoooaaaa chill out.

HooverDam: I'm chilled, I just want to make sure you understand, do you?

Acatalanb: Whooo firestorm!

I'm trying to have an adult conversation here but you keep stone walling it. I'll ask one more time: why would Tucson raising their height limit to 500' not result in land banking like it did in Phoenix? What businesses are looking to build 300' plus tall towers in Tucson? How does Tucson plan to grow or attract such firms?

acatalanb
May 6, 2011, 2:59 PM
I am just .... just enjoying this :yes: