PDA

View Full Version : Tucson Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85

kaneui
Nov 9, 2010, 4:44 AM
As a confirmation of Tucson's convention center decision, Albuquerque's mayor reiterates that convention center facilities and hotels are overbuilt nationwide, and any further action to build a new downtown event center/arena and convention center hotel in his city is being postponed indefinitely:

http://abqjournal.magnify.net/video/No-Event-Center-For-Now

Locofresh55
Nov 9, 2010, 6:35 AM
Although the city is worried about losing a $2M site-specific grant if they don't build a new bus station near the train depot, Councilman Kozachik and nearby business owners say that the station would be in the wrong location and worsen the already congested traffic on the east end of downtown:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/Busstationrelocationmap.jpg http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/IntermodalDepot.gif
early rendering of proposed transportation center and bus station next to train depot (R)
(render: Poster Frost Mirto)

Bus-station plan causes furor
Downtown firms jolted by city effort to return Greyhound to depot area

by Rob O'Dell
Arizona Daily Star
November 8, 2010

The potential move of the Greyhound bus station back to the east end of downtown has outraged some of the area's business owners who contend the station doesn't fit the area and will cause traffic congestion. The city plans to move the bus station, which is now on a site off the Interstate 10 frontage road south of West Congress Street, because it needs to sell the land to help balance this year's budget. Because the city still has $2 million left over from a federal grant to build a multiuse transportation and bus facility next to the Historic Train Depot on North Toole Avenue, the city staff has drawn up plans to move it back to the east end of downtown permanently. For years, the station was on East Congress Street next to the Rialto Theatre.

Business owners are angry that the city is resurrecting plans to bring the bus terminal back to the area. They cite traffic congestion as the No. 1 concern, followed by the fact that they believe the parcel next to the depot should be developed for commercial uses that match the area. They mostly talk around the issue of concerns that the bus station could bring undesirable people to the area, although Maynards Market and Kitchen owner Richard Oseran said there could be an increase in crime if the station moves in. "It's a terrible idea," said Oseran, whose business is in the depot. "It just doesn't make sense at all." Oseran said the area is already congested, and the buses and the traffic to and from the terminal will make the situation worse, affecting business inside the train depot, along with events on the depot's patio. John Hudak, partner and publisher of Madden Media, said the station will bring extra traffic to an already crowded area, adding that the site would be better used for commercial development. He said the bus station should stay near the freeway, and the city should think about moving more of the Ronstadt Transit Center traffic to that area as well. "There are better and higher uses for that property other than a Greyhound station," Hudak said of the site next to the depot. "It's not a good idea. We're upset about it."

Several years ago, the city planned to build an $18 million combined Greyhound bus terminal and city transportation office building at the site next to the depot. It canceled the plan after the funding dried up, although not before it secured a $2 million grant from the federal government to build a multiuse transportation center on the site. Hudak said the idea of a multiuse transportation center next to the depot is an idea from the 1980s, and not the 21st century. Oseran said that at least the old plans called for security and for offices to be housed on the parking lot just northwest of the train depot. The new plan calls for the buses to be on what is now the depot parking lot, and for the ticket counter and offices to be inside the depot, which Oseran said will crowd out space for patrons of the depot. The $2 million is site-specific and can't be used at another location, said city Transportation Director Jim Glock. There's no penalty for not using the money, but a memo from City Manager Mike Letcher said the ability of the city to get future federal grants could be hampered if the city purposely forfeited the federal grant. Glock said he will do whatever the City Council tells him to do when it addresses the issue during a meeting on Nov. 23.

Councilman Steve Kozachik agreed with the businessmen in the area, saying, "I don't think that site makes any sense." He said there is no urgency in moving the Greyhound station, because the city might not get a good enough offer on the freeway site to make it worthwhile to sell it, although the city would then need another $5 million to $8 million to balance its budget. Kozachik said the "free" federal money argument doesn't sway him, because he said in the end it's still taxpayer money. He said he doesn't mind giving back the grant. "It doesn't mean we pick the site just because it's federal dollars," Kozachik said. "It's taxpayer dollars." Councilwoman Regina Romero said she's open to different options for the Greyhound terminal, and said that she will defer somewhat to Kozachik because the train depot is in his ward. The only real sticking point could be if there is a financial penalty for not using the grant money. "I'm open, but if there are financial consequences, it's going to be a much more difficult decision," Romero said. "We're not in a situation where the city of Tucson can take financial hits right now."

I kind of agree that the location just would not work for a Greyhound bus station being near the train depot. Considering there is congestion and construction on that side of downtown, it just would not allow buses to leave on time. Why not put it a little further south along I-10, like near 22nd street or just north of there since there is basically dirt lots and what not there. You can put a different design and make it look more modern to draw attraction from the freeway and welcome people into Tucson when the stinky Greyhound bus arrives. And don't just limit it to Greyhound, open it up to the shuttle buses that transport people from Nogales to Phoenix and have a pick up location there by the depot. I can't say it is a good idea to cram a bus depot along toole ave and right next to a train depot.

kaneui
Nov 9, 2010, 7:29 AM
I kind of agree that the location just would not work for a Greyhound bus station being near the train depot. Considering there is congestion and construction on that side of downtown, it just would not allow buses to leave on time. Why not put it a little further south along I-10, like near 22nd street or just north of there since there is basically dirt lots and what not there. You can put a different design and make it look more modern to draw attraction from the freeway and welcome people into Tucson when the stinky Greyhound bus arrives. And don't just limit it to Greyhound, open it up to the shuttle buses that transport people from Nogales to Phoenix and have a pick up location there by the depot. I can't say it is a good idea to cram a bus depot along toole ave and right next to a train depot.

I can understand the city's reasoning for wanting it near other transportation modes such as the city buses at Ronstadt, Amtrak, and the modern streetcar. However, there is now a lot more density and congestion in that area since the bus station was first proposed. Keeping it near the freeway would be fine as long as Greyhound riders are within easy walking distance to some city bus lines and one of the streetcar stops. If we're not linking our multimodal transportation options, we're never going to wean people off of the single-occupancy car culture.

aznate27
Nov 9, 2010, 8:07 AM
I totally agree that the Greyhound station should not be built next to the train station. The area has changed for the better and the bus station would only bring the area down!:hell: Keep it near the interstate, that makes ten times more sense!!

acatalanb
Nov 9, 2010, 12:56 PM
I've dropped off people at the old Greyhound Depot and the current one, the old depot was pretty much home to the homeless and magnet for crime while the new one was the opposite.

I'm hoping the depot would be close to I-10, right by a Sun Tran bus stop and light rail stop and build a much more nicer modern looking building. C'mon Tucson get off the ol' barrio brick adobe mentality!

kaneui
Nov 9, 2010, 7:07 PM
Just days after the City Council nixed the TCC Sheraton plans, Bert Lopez is back again recycling his earlier proposal, asking the city to sell $17M in bonds by Dec. 31 in order to upgrade his outdated Hotel Arizona and build a new Embassy Suites next door. Sorry Bert, but if the city isn't moving forward to expand and upgrade the convention center, how do you propose to fill all those hotel rooms?

(On a side note, it's a shame Tucson doesn't have the support and vision of a big developer like AEG--the company behind Staples Center and L.A. LIVE is now proposing to build a $1B NFL stadium downtown with their own money, double the size of the L.A. Convention Center by guaranteeing the construction bonds themselves, and add five new hotels nearby. Needless to say, Garfield Traub has never expressed a desire to invest any of their own money in Tucson.)

Meanwhile, the city is hoping to generate more revenue by issuing RFPs for 8.5 acres it owns downtown along I-10 between Congress and Cushing St., the site formerly considered for an arena and now partially occupied by the temporary Greyhound bus station. Developer Rodney Yates has already expressed interest in building a high-end outlet mall on the site, currently valued at approximately $5.35M. For more info.: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/realestate/2407.pdf

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/BertLopezd-thotelplan.jpg
HSL's proposed Embassy Suites next to Hotel Arizona
(render: Pueblo Center Partners)

2nd plan for hotel downtown resurfaces
Businessman Lopez urges deal to lease his existing inn to city

by Rob O'Dell
Arizona Daily Star
November 9, 2010

The demise of the $190 million downtown convention center hotel has resurrected a proposal for taxpayer backing by Humberto Lopez, owner of Hotel Arizona. Lopez needs the city to sell bonds and enter into a complicated transaction that would allow him to lease the Hotel Arizona to the city for 99 years so it could be converted into a Doubletree and so that an Embassy Suites could be built next door, according to the plan he's presenting to the city and Rio Nuevo. Like the recently rejected proposal, Tucson taxpayers would be on the hook for the losses if the hotel plan did not meet projections.

The proposal is being resubmitted because Lopez wants to use Build America Bonds, a type of bond that carries a lower interest rate because a portion of the interest is rebated by the federal government, said Roger Karber, a consultant involved with Hotel Arizona. The federal rebate would drop after Dec. 31, so the transaction should occur this year, Karber said. "It's the right time for the city of Tucson and Rio Nuevo to look at a hotel project," Karber said. Lopez needs the city to sell $17 million in bonds to upgrade his hotel into a 274-room Doubletree. In addition, a new 428-space parking garage needs to be built by the city, or Tucson needs to lease property to him so he can build the garage. The city would then lease the Hotel Arizona from Lopez for $1.6 million a year for 99 years. The annual lease payments would allow Lopez to pay down the more than $20 million in debt he has on the Hotel Arizona property without having to pay taxes on the sale of the property.

Lopez has said he wouldn't simply sell the hotel to the city rather than lease it, because the sale would trigger a large tax bill, even though all the proceeds of the sale would go to pay his debt on the hotel. He said the cash flow from the Doubletree would pay back the city's bond money and, even with the lease payments, the city still would make a profit of $1.4 million annually. Karber said Lopez wants the additional sales taxes and the Rio Nuevo tax-increment-financing money from the site to be used to help backstop the bonds.

There seems to be little immediate interest from either the Rio Nuevo Board or the city to jump in feet-first. Lopez would have to meet the same standards that hotel developer Garfield Traub was required to meet, Councilman Steve Kozachik said. The 99-year lease made no sense to him, Kozachik added. "Any proposal no matter who it comes from is going to have to meet same standards we were holding Garfield Traub to," Kozachik said. "He is no different than anyone else." The Rio Nuevo Board can't consider Lopez's proposal until it terminates the contract with Garfield Traub, board member Rick Grinnell said. The contract is still in effect because there are still a few outstanding issues, mainly involving the new east entrance to the Tucson Convention Center, Grinnell said.

Ritarancher
Nov 9, 2010, 10:40 PM
A 1 billion dollar stadium and 5 hotels would be nice so would rainbow bridge.:cool:

Anqrew
Nov 10, 2010, 6:24 AM

Yeah i think the spot next to the Train Depot would be better suited for something with Commercial Space.

Anqrew
Nov 10, 2010, 6:27 AM
http://maps.google.com/

Downtown Tucson now has a Satellite birds eye 45 degree view when you zoom in far enough. Pretty cool. :D

acatalanb
Nov 10, 2010, 7:50 PM
Meanwhile, the city is hoping to generate more revenue by issuing RFPs for 8.5 acres it owns downtown along I-10 between Congress and Cushing St., the site formerly considered for an arena and now partially occupied by the temporary Greyhound bus station. Developer Rodney Yates has already expressed interest in building a high-end outlet mall on the site, currently valued at approximately $5.35M. For more info.: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/realestate/2407.pdf

Wonder how high-end is this outlet. I'm hoping they would add a chinese and mexican fast food restaurant. And maybe a Trader Joe and a commercial movie theatre. I live downtown. It would be nice to have more variety in the restaurants and stores downtown. With the exception of the Hotel Congress area, downtown Tucson is pretty much dead after working hours and the weekends. This mall may help bring in more downtown customers.

I lived in Tempe during the late-80's. That was the time when they start renovating downtown Tempe. It's safe to say that at least 50 percent of old downtown Tempe was literally bulldozed to make way for new restaurants etc. That renovation was a success. I haven't been in that place in awhile, I would guess it's still a success.

acatalanb
Nov 11, 2010, 4:03 AM
Here's an Arizona Illustrated clip (http://www.azpm.org/news/spotlight/2010/11/10/1519-a-greyhound-depot-in-maynards-kitchen/)regarding the Greyhound Depot move to Toole Ave and 6th Ave. The Ronstadt Transit Center is just across the proposed new Greyhound Depot. The Ronstadt Transit Center is one of the main Sun Tran bus hub. So you might ask, should we move the Ronstadt Transit Center from the current location too? The Ronstadt Transit Center is also a crime magnet, however, they have security guards. My understanding is that LA, San Francisco and San Diego Greyhound Depots are just walking distance from train depots. The Phoenix Greyhound depot is close by Sky Harbor Airport.

Now, I'm having second thoughts, the Toole Ave/6th Ave location maybe a good location for the new depot after all. It's nice to have 'everything' in one spot in Tucson. That freakin Tucson Electric Park by Ajo should have been located downtown.

kaneui
Nov 11, 2010, 5:37 AM
Here's an Arizona Illustrated clip (http://www.azpm.org/news/spotlight/2010/11/10/1519-a-greyhound-depot-in-maynards-kitchen/)regarding the Greyhound Depot move to Toole Ave and 6th Ave. The Ronstadt Transit Center is just across the proposed new Greyhound Depot. The Ronstadt Transit Center is one of the main Sun Tran bus hub. So you might ask, should we move the Ronstadt Transit Center from the current location too? The Ronstadt Transit Center is also a crime magnet, however, they have security guards. My understanding is that LA, San Francisco and San Diego Greyhound Depots are just walking distance from train depots. The Phoenix Greyhound depot is close by Sky Harbor Airport.

Now, I'm having second thoughts, the Toole Ave/6th Ave location maybe a good location for the new depot after all. It's nice to have 'everything' in one spot in Tucson. That freakin Tucson Electric Park by Ajo should have been located downtown.

I agree with Kozachik and Madden that the Ronstadt Center parcel is a prime candidate for redevelopment due to a. its location along the major retail/entertainment corridor on Congress St., b. the increasing density and congestion on the east end of downtown, and c. the fact that most of the passengers are merely transferring buses and not coming to downtown as a destination. Keep buses serving downtown, but relocate this transit center to a more appropriate site that is within walking distance to other multimodal options.

acatalanb
Nov 11, 2010, 8:08 PM
I don't mind having less congestion and more pedestrian focus downtown but I think it's just unrealistic. Even if the Ronstadt Transit Center and Greyhound Depot were to be moved out the Toole/6th Ave area, I think there still would be significant congestion. If the city moved the transit center and greyhound depot outside or anywhere downtown, Tucsonans would still complain. My take is that downtown Tucson is the major hub of the city. So it needs to have a transportation hub. And the train, greyhound, sun tran depots at Toole/6th Ave. would be an appropriate location.

My bet here is that the city council will move the Greyhound Bus Depot at Toole/6th Ave based on the premise that the high-end Mall needs to be built and by sticking with the old plan for the Greyhound Bus Depot location and that, there needs to be continuous construction downtown to avoid that 'nothing to show' stigma experienced by pass councils.

Madden should have saw this coming before he moved the company downtown. Maybe, Kozachik, should consider possible additional cost of moving the Ronstadt Transit Center and Greyhound Depot to another location - Would it be more expensive to move the depot and transit center ? My good guess here is that it would cost more.

Anqrew
Nov 15, 2010, 9:23 AM
I remember reading somewhere that there was interest in building ABOVE Ronstadt? anyone remember this too? lol

combusean
Nov 15, 2010, 1:27 PM
Wonder how high-end is this outlet. I'm hoping they would add a chinese and mexican fast food restaurant. And maybe a Trader Joe and a commercial movie theatre. I live downtown. It would be nice to have more variety in the restaurants and stores downtown. With the exception of the Hotel Congress area, downtown Tucson is pretty much dead after working hours and the weekends. This mall may help bring in more downtown customers.

I lived in Tempe during the late-80's. That was the time when they start renovating downtown Tempe. It's safe to say that at least 50 percent of old downtown Tempe was literally bulldozed to make way for new restaurants etc. That renovation was a success. I haven't been in that place in awhile, I would guess it's still a success.

Downtown Tempe was successful, but the economy and the opening of Tempe Marketplace a couple miles away killed it. Mill's south end is as dead as a doornail these days with the movie theater, Coffee Plantation, Anthropologie, Pizzeria Uno, etc. all closed up. It's a total shame and I definitely miss it from its glory days a decade ago.

I am extremely jealous of the high-end outlet-mall proposal. The location for it seems too cool and it would go a long way to providing tourist-friendly/destination/neighborhood retail, so long as the urban design doesn't completely suck.

kaneui
Nov 15, 2010, 7:56 PM
I remember reading somewhere that there was interest in building ABOVE Ronstadt? anyone remember this too? lol

Not sure about building above Ronstadt, but the idea to develop the section fronting Congress St. into retail/commercial has been floating around for some time, and Kozachik would definitely support it.

acatalanb
Nov 15, 2010, 8:30 PM

I remember that there was an 'attempt' to convert Ronstadt Center and the block west of Ronstadt to a retail and park combo. I thought someone inked the deal in that area...I guess not.

kaneui
Nov 15, 2010, 8:34 PM
Looking for sources of revenue, the city may sell its downtown arena site for construction of an upscale outlet mall:

High-end outlet mall proposed for I-10 frontage
by Teya Vitu
Downtown Tucsonan
July 22, 2010

A premium branded retail outlet mall has been proposed for the city-owned freeway frontage property, currently site of the temporary Greyhound bus depot. The city expects to issue a formal request for proposals later in August to sell the roughly 8.8-acre strip into the private sector. A few years ago, the city considered building a tortoise shaped arena on that land, but the design and the site were both scrapped for the arena. A committee would weigh the proposals and recommend one to the City Council, said Lou Ginsberg, the city’s real estate program director.

For a couple of years already, non-traditional retail developer Rodney Yates has eyed the vacant Downtown freeway frontage for a premium branded destination outlet center. “Retail is a great catalyst for revitalization of Downtown,” said Yates, founder of Scottsdale-based OTB Destinations. Yates envisions three anchor stores and about 50 smaller stores along the freeway frontage road stretching from Congress Street south to Cushing Street. Yates seeks to fill the anchors with “value concept” versions of Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, Neiman Marcus or Saks Fifth Avenue– the same concept as the Saks Off Fifth store at Foothills Mall.

“I’m not saying Nordstrom is coming,” Yates said. What he is saying is those premium retailers these days are focusing more on value concept stores than building new department stores. A Nordstrom Rack store is already scheduled to open at Oracle and Wetmore roads in Fall 2011, according to the company’s website. The Interstate 10 widening project, in particular, attracted Yates to downtown. He intends to tap into the shoppers who flock to Tucson from Mexico. “Destination retail works well for Mexican nationals,” said Yates, who has developed similar outlet malls call Legends at Village West in Kansas City, Kan., and Legends at Sparks Harbor in Sparks, Nev. The land value is still in the appraisal process, Ginsberg said.

If OTB's expected proposal looks anything like what they've already done in Kansas City and Reno, downtown would have a handsome destination retail center drawing lots of shoppers from Mexico and elsewhere, and also help attract more convention business.

For more info.: http://www.otbdestination.com/home.htm

acatalanb
Nov 15, 2010, 8:38 PM
Downtown Tempe was successful, but the economy and the opening of Tempe Marketplace a couple miles away killed it. Mill's south end is as dead as a doornail these days with the movie theater, Coffee Plantation, Anthropologie, Pizzeria Uno, etc. all closed up. It's a total shame and I definitely miss it from its glory days a decade ago.

I am extremely jealous of the high-end outlet-mall proposal. The location for it seems too cool and it would go a long way to providing tourist-friendly/destination/neighborhood retail, so long as the urban design doesn't completely suck.

Too bad Downtown Tempe died. Hopefully it's just temporary. Coffee Plantation was my first intro to gourmet coffee. It's such a nice cafe. RIP Coffee Plantation :(

Yep, I'm crossing my fingers that high-end mall isn't another cookie cutter mall.

kaneui
Nov 15, 2010, 8:44 PM
With a casino and performing arts amphitheater, maybe Casino del Sol's new hotel and convention facilities will attract gatherings that would otherwise pass on downtown's outdated convention center:

10-story hotel rising next to Yaqui casino
Enlarged Casino del Sol center plans to be ready to open late next year

by Ernesto Portillo Jr.
Arizona Daily Star
November 15, 2010

Casino del Sol is going up, as in 10 stories up. The new Pascua Yaqui project, the Casino del Sol Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, is taking shape next to the present casino and the Anselmo Valencia Amphitheater at 5655 W. Valencia Road. A steel skeleton will eventually give way to the addition in the same color and style of Casino del Sol. When it is completed next fall, the new resort will offer more than 200 rooms, a 50,000-square-foot conference center, three restaurants, a lobby lounge, pool, spa and fitness center, new gaming salon and parking garage for 1,100 vehicles.

The Pascua Yaqui tribe is looking to make the resort, combined with the 4,500-seat amphitheater and the casino, a destination center for tourists and Tucson-area residents, said Wendell Long, Sol Casinos' chief executive officer since 2006. "There's a demand for people to spend a night here," he said. Of course, the tribe is hoping visitors will spend more than one night when the complex has its grand opening, scheduled for Nov. 11, 2011. Long believes the resort, while attracting visitors from Mexico and Southern Arizona, will not siphon visitors from the Tucson region's other resorts. Each resort will create its own niche and clientele, he said. "We want to create an entertainment destination," Long said. The casino hotel, unlike other resorts in Tucson, has an outdoor venue for concerts and other kinds of live entertainment.

Anselmo Valencia Amphitheater, known as AVA, has been relatively successful in attracting a range of musical groups, from Latino to rock to stand-up comics. Recently it sold out shows featuring Chicano comedian Gabriel "Fluffy" Iglesias and rock 'n' roll icon Alice Cooper. With the hotel and expanded facilities, AVA hopes to attract more shows and bigger names, without needing to be physically expanded, Long said. And when the weather turns cold, the new conference center can hold some shows indoors. Neither will the new conference center compete with other facilities in Tucson, said Long, a native of Oklahoma who previously worked in casino management in New Jersey and Connecticut.

Casino del Sol will seek to attract medium-size conferences and leave the larger groups to the Tucson Convention Center, which has more than 200,000 square feet. The combined casino hotel and conference center will measure 161,000 square feet. Construction began earlier this year on the $120 million project, which Long expects will come under budget by $25 million and ahead of schedule. "There isn't a better time to build than now," he said.

The construction project is already paying dividends to the Pascua Yaquis. About 500 construction jobs have been created, with about half going to members of the Pascua Yaqui Tribe, Long said. After the construction, an additional 300 people will be employed in permanent jobs in the hotel resort, he said. Beyond the resort, Long said future plans call for construction of a golf course, retail and more hotel space, spread over vacant desert. The tribe has purchased land for future expansion. "Land is always good to have," he said. Land to stretch outward, after already building upward.

DID YOU KNOW

The Pascua Yaqui Tribe also operates a second but smaller gaming venue, Casino of the Sun, at 7474 S. Camino de Oeste.

acatalanb
Nov 15, 2010, 9:05 PM
If OTB's expected proposal looks anything like what they've already done in Kansas City and Reno, downtown would have a handsome destination retail center drawing lots of shoppers from Mexico and elsewhere, and also help attract more convention business.

For more info.: http://www.otbdestination.com/home.htm

This addition should put some life central downtown. Hope it goes well. Gosh, I guess we'll gonna have to wait till August to see how this goes. :fingerscrossed:

Man, I wished I had the funds to check out the skyscrapers at Dubai and Shanghai. Surely, I don't expect to see any in Az but hopefully this one (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=15090) goes through.

aznate27
Nov 16, 2010, 6:24 AM
I think it's cool that the casino is going up, but I've seen the renderings...it sure is one damn ugly building!:yuck:

Butta
Nov 16, 2010, 6:48 AM
This addition should put some life central downtown. Hope it goes well. Gosh, I guess we'll gonna have to wait till August to see how this goes. :fingerscrossed:

Man, I wished I had the funds to check out the skyscrapers at Dubai and Shanghai. Surely, I don't expect to see any in Az but hopefully this one (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=15090) goes through.

I think the outlet mall would be an awesome idea that has not been tried in other downtown's, usually they tend to be in the outlying areas, i.e. Anthem, Casa Grande, Morongo, etc. I think that if it was a cool mall with nice retailers, even people from Phoenix would say, "Hey how 'bout we head to Tucson for the day, go to the outlets and check out what else the area has to offer?" Are there other examples of downtown's that have tried this? The location is perfect, easily accessible from the freeway.

By the way, I think the article meant Aug 2010, as it was published in July. Either way, have there been any news on this?

acatalanb
Nov 16, 2010, 1:40 PM
I think the outlet mall would be an awesome idea that has not been tried in other downtown's, usually they tend to be in the outlying areas, i.e. Anthem, Casa Grande, Morongo, etc. I think that if it was a cool mall with nice retailers, even people from Phoenix would say, "Hey how 'bout we head to Tucson for the day, go to the outlets and check out what else the area has to offer?" Are there other examples of downtown's that have tried this? The location is perfect, easily accessible from the freeway.

By the way, I think the article meant Aug 2010, as it was published in July. Either way, have there been any news on this?

You're right! Well, that's good news! Nope, I haven't heard any news lately. Hopefully, some of the posters here would post anything new. I'm hoping they'd put a real IMAX theatre.

Teacher_AZ_84
Nov 16, 2010, 4:17 PM

Yes, Las Vegas...

kaneui
Nov 16, 2010, 7:30 PM
You're right! Well, that's good news! Nope, I haven't heard any news lately. Hopefully, some of the posters here would post anything new. I'm hoping they'd put a real IMAX theatre.

The article was referring to the Nordstrom Rack opening near Tucson Mall in fall, 2011. Hopefully, OTB will create a more urban outlet mall than the ones I've seen in southern California and Las Vegas, which are mostly one story and rather suburban looking.

Also, there was going to be an IMAX theatre in the UA Science Center/AZ State Museum planned for west of I-10, but that's all been put on indefinite hold.

Ritarancher
Nov 17, 2010, 12:29 AM
Our buildings in downtown need a bath!!

I think that an outlet mall would be great but would it block the space for Rainbow Bridge? Oh well cuz that will sadly never happen.

acatalanb
Nov 17, 2010, 12:09 PM

Looks like anything is possible these days.

42 story building above a bus terminal
(http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=10697)
The Tucson Origins Park with the convento would be nice if it's enclose like this..it needs covered because it's freakin ugly...uuckk (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=10559)

Here's a biosphere park that I've been bragging about (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=1594)

Mix used office, condo, hotel, retail (safeway at 1st floor? why not) (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=15099)

I doubt those above will built in AZ .... at least in our lifetime .
Help yourself if you want to email those links to the mayor of Tucson.

kaneui
Nov 18, 2010, 3:29 AM
If you've ever wondered about the history of Tucson's downtown and the genesis of the city's redevelopment problems, this eloquent and well-researched article (unfortunately, sans photographs and illustrations) details the urban evolution of Tucson and how the misguided urban renewal efforts of the late 1960s and early 70s dismantled major portions of two historic barrios and unraveled the cohesive fabric of the city's core:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb6474/is_1-2_45/ai_n29050305/?tag=content;col1

P.S. The authors are part of Moule & Polyzoides Architects and Urbanists, the firm that created the award-winning design for the Mercado District west of I-10. Although still under construction, this new neighborhood is intended to at least partially restore elements of Barrio Viejo and the Presidio District that were lost in the aforementioned "urban renewal" efforts.

Ritarancher
Nov 18, 2010, 4:46 AM
So why does Albuquerque get a 550 foot tower and Tucson doesn't? That's Wrongness. Tucson now needs a 600 foot tower.
Also Phoenix needs a 2000 foot tower

combusean
Nov 18, 2010, 12:05 PM
Wait, huh? When did ABQ get a 550' tower proposal?

There was talk about Phoenix getting a 1600-footer back in the late 80s. The architect balked at a feasibility study before getting the city's involvement which shows that it wasn't that real of a project to begin with. The S&L recession killed any chance of it.

acatalanb
Nov 18, 2010, 12:18 PM
If you've ever wondered about the history of Tucson's downtown and the genesis of the city's redevelopment problems, this eloquent and well-researched article (unfortunately, sans photographs and illustrations) details the urban evolution of Tucson and how the misguided urban renewal efforts of the late 1960s and early 70s dismantled major portions of two historic barrios and unraveled the cohesive fabric of the city's core:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb6474/is_1-2_45/ai_n29050305/?tag=content;col1

P.S. The authors are part of Moule & Polyzoides Architects and Urbanists, the firm that created the award-winning design for the Mercado District west of I-10. Although still under construction, this new neighborhood is intended to at least partially restore elements of Barrio Viejo and the Presidio District that were lost in the aforementioned "urban renewal" efforts.

Interesting article. And thanks for mentioning the authors so I just browsed the article real quickly. I guess you need password/username to see the photos and illustrations.

My take in this is that it doesn't make sense to re-create what has been destroyed. Restore is fine as long as it's economically reasonable. The architects around between 1960-2000 are horrible. The current downtown west-side development is a failure because Gadsden Co. is way behind and I heard they are trying to sell some of their real estate for someone to take over (good luck, the prices are kinda high for that re-creation). Downtown should cater to the needs of the community and NOT tourist. If you're gonna build a tower make sure there's a restaurant on top or turn it into a large wi-fi antenna instead of just one piece of metal. Museums are fine as long as it's run and owned by a non-profit.

There's a lot of blame to go around - business, government, people living in the community etc.. I read that Los Angeles was littered with 'light-rails' before the 50's until it was destroyed due to the 'influence' of the auto and oil companies by replacing them with freeways. The same company that built the Seattle monorail wanted to build a monorail in LA with the company paying for EVERYTHING based on their premise that it would pay off in a couple of years ( Seattle monorail paid off few years after it was built ) - killed by local gov't influenced by 'you know'. My good guess here is that Tucson hasn't moved forward because of a loud group of anti-growth whiners who can't make up their minds.

Although downtown Tempe maybe suffering now, it sure is a heck of alot better than it was before the 90's. It's a scary walk downtown Tempe pre-90's. Since I lived there during renovations during the late 80's, I remember it only took a couple of years for a successful turnaround. They built shops, cafes, restaurants that the average person can afford. You even get free parking the first hour or two ( something like that ). I looked at the photos by downtown Tempe's man-made lake, they got nice looking apts/condos etc..

Anyway here's another restoration project in Chicago, a hydrogenerator (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=12687) that replaces a 3 mile eye-sore railway in Chicago.

Looks like the trend these days is green development - self sustaining structures with a garden or park kinda like this in Mexico (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=12575) or Mumbai (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=12644) ( both conceptual stages ).

Here's a high-end mall from Morocco (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=12702) and another mixed development with everything inside (including a convention center) from Miami (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=12647).

Tucson, it's 2010 NOT the 1800's! You don't see China rebuilding the Great Wall . Did Nagasaki or Hiroshima rebuilt those same houses that we're destroyed by the atomic bomb? I don't think so.

ps: shoot those links above to the mayor of Tucson will ya? I think my email address is in their spam box.

kaneui
Nov 19, 2010, 1:54 AM
The current downtown west-side development is a failure because Gadsden Co. is way behind and I heard they are trying to sell some of their real estate for someone to take over (good luck, the prices are kinda high for that re-creation). Downtown should cater to the needs of the community and NOT tourist. If you're gonna build a tower make sure there's a restaurant on top or turn it into a large wi-fi antenna instead of just one piece of metal. Museums are fine as long as it's run and owned by a non-profit.

Tucson briefly enjoyed the presence of a Portland developer with bonafide redevelopment experience under their belt--Williams & Dame--until they discovered the nightmare of red tape in dealing with the city's Development Services Dept. So, after a brief stint working on the One North Fifth rehab, they promptly terminated their development agreement and skipped town. And even though the other nationally-known developer, Garfield Traub, wasn't interested in investing any of their own money to build the convention center expansion and hotel, the city kept them waiting nearly three years after being selected as the winning RFP before deciding to kill the project.

So it's no surprise that the only folks left willing to put up with the delays and shenanigans at city hall are a few small, local developers like Gadsden, Stiteler/Martin, and Jim Campbell. Unfortunately, Gadsden's two-year delay in opening the Mercado San Agustin was a result of a sudden contraction in the capital markets, delaying the necessary financing to complete the project. Also, their slow start in the Mission District next door is partially due to a somewhat complicated swap with another developer to replace other low-income housing (read all the pertinent documents here: http://dot.tucsonaz.gov/projects/project.cfm?cip=C91DC0D8-9E97-5E3A-A7B9DC4248A40A90). Otherwise, we are fortunate that projects like the Mission District, Plaza Centro, and the streetcar are moving forward, given the depressed real estate market and the economy in general.

But more importantly, until Tucson demonstrates it can evaluate new proposals within a reasonable time frame and assure developers and business owners that new projects will not be burdened with onerous contingencies, only the hardiest or most naive will subject themselves to the unpredictable and unproductive results we have witnessed over the past several years--with Rio Nuevo being the poster child.

Locofresh55
Nov 19, 2010, 6:28 AM
The article was referring to the Nordstrom Rack opening near Tucson Mall in fall, 2011. Hopefully, OTB will create a more urban outlet mall than the ones I've seen in southern California and Las Vegas, which are mostly one story and rather suburban looking.

Also, there was going to be an IMAX theatre in the UA Science Center/AZ State Museum planned for west of I-10, but that's all been put on indefinite hold.

Some type of downtown retail/outlet hub would be awesome for Tucson. They should try to put a hotel connecting to the outlet/retail mall similar to Rivercenter in San Antonio. It doesn't need to be a big ol hotel but something like 15-18 stories would catch a passer'bye's eye on I-10. A shopping mall with a hotel sticking out of it must be something worth stopping for. Imagine a newer more urban building w/ an adjacent retail center and then on the other side of I-10, the Mercado San Agustin.

acatalanb
Nov 19, 2010, 11:48 AM
Tucson briefly enjoyed the presence of a Portland developer with bonafide redevelopment experience under their belt--Williams & Dame--until they discovered the nightmare of red tape in dealing with the city's Development Services Dept. So, after a brief stint working on the One North Fifth rehab, they promptly terminated their development agreement and skipped town. And even though the other nationally-known developer, Garfield Traub, wasn't interested in investing any of their own money to build the convention center expansion and hotel, the city kept them waiting nearly three years after being selected as the winning RFP before deciding to kill the project.

So it's no surprise that the only folks left willing to put up with the delays and shenanigans at city hall are a few small, local developers like Gadsden, Stiteler/Martin, and Jim Campbell. Unfortunately, Gadsden's two-year delay in opening the Mercado San Agustin was a result of a sudden contraction in the capital markets, delaying the necessary financing to complete the project. Also, their slow start in the Mission District next door is partially due to a somewhat complicated swap with another developer to replace other low-income housing (read all the pertinent documents here: http://dot.tucsonaz.gov/projects/project.cfm?cip=C91DC0D8-9E97-5E3A-A7B9DC4248A40A90). Otherwise, we are fortunate that projects like the Mission District, Plaza Centro, and the streetcar are moving forward, given the depressed real estate market and the economy in general.

But more importantly, until Tucson demonstrates it can evaluate new proposals within a reasonable time frame and assure developers and business owners that new projects will not be burdened with onerous contingencies, only the hardiest or most naive will subject themselves to the unpredictable and unproductive results we have witnessed over the past several years--with Rio Nuevo being the poster child.

Yeah, the COT Dev. Services is famous for it's incompetence. I might add the COT Finance Dept is just as incompetent. After much protest and criticism from the public, the COT Dev. Services is cleaning up it's 'byzantine' bureaucracy . I hear stories of this bakery trying to open shop only to shut down because of some parking space dispute or an old chinese restaurant that has been around for decades only to shut down because of some little thing ... there was even an Australian company that moved to Vegas because of some issue with flags in front of their offices.

I also remember one of the former Rio Nuevo managers, I think his name is Glen Lyons, complained about this group of Tucsonans wanting to keep Tucson from growing. In fact, when the RTA , Regional Transportation Authority, was passed by vote, a handful of these NIMBY's were screaming loud that the vote was a fraud at a county supervisors meeting. There was even talk of putting up a sky tram from Tucson to the Catalina Mts. until one of the county supervisors killed it. Tucson is known to have periods of anti-growth and pro-growth periods as I've read over and over . I hope this time around it's gonna be pro-growth all the way!

One other thing I'm sure about is that the mayor and city council are good listeners. I remember emailing the mayor (Walkup) complaining about not having a bus route to the IBM tech facility at Rita Ranch, he forward email me to a Sun Tran official. Now, Sun Tran finally has a bus route at that tech park ( also, helps to have signatures circulating in the tech park requesting bus route ). I sent email to a former city council member putting up the idea of a dorm and fixing the 4th ave underpass. They listened. So, if you guys could send those links I put up in this forum, I wouldn't be surprise if they implement some of those ideas from those links.

Speaking of links, here's another one, high speed railway between Tucson and Phoenix, (http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=13533345) I think this time it's for real.

Here's a mini-Target store (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/19/BU761GDMLH.DTL&tsp=1) on a second floor of a (downtown?) San Francisco building. Another issue with downtown Tucson is some kind of ordinance that prevents big box stores from opening shop downtown - Why?? Wasn't there a Montgomery Ward downtown before 70's?

acatalanb
Nov 19, 2010, 12:00 PM
Some type of downtown retail/outlet hub would be awesome for Tucson. They should try to put a hotel connecting to the outlet/retail mall similar to Rivercenter in San Antonio. It doesn't need to be a big ol hotel but something like 15-18 stories would catch a passer'bye's eye on I-10. A shopping mall with a hotel sticking out of it must be something worth stopping for. Imagine a newer more urban building w/ an adjacent retail center and then on the other side of I-10, the Mercado San Agustin.

Never been to the Rivercenter in San Antonio but that sounds like a good idea. I think there was talk of doing the same here in Tucson ... filing up a section of the empty Santa Cruz River much like Tempe's and build retail, restaurants, condo's etc.. Wonder what happened to that?

acatalanb
Nov 19, 2010, 12:04 PM
btw, if Tucson is going build a tower, I hope it's nice looking. NOT one of those with a stick and a freakin ball on top (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Toronto%27s_CN_Tower.jpg) . The only tower I find visually appealing is the Eiffel Tower and Seattle's Space Needle.

Teacher_AZ_84
Nov 19, 2010, 5:25 PM
Never been to the Rivercenter in San Antonio but that sounds like a good idea. I think there was talk of doing the same here in Tucson ... filing up a section of the empty Santa Cruz River much like Tempe's and build retail, restaurants, condo's etc.. Wonder what happened to that?

Having family in SA, I go several times a year. I would love to have an urban shopping center with all sorts of stores catering to all sorts of people. I like the Rivercenter and how they blended it with the Riverwalk. My only complaint is how much it feels like a suburban mall inside. I would hope here in Tucson we could make it feel more like an urban experience.

That would be awesome to refill a portion of the river and plant Cottonwoods etc. and have all sorts of things built around it. What a destination that would be! If Tempe can do it with the 202 right there, we certainly can!

Teacher_AZ_84
Nov 19, 2010, 5:27 PM
btw, if Tucson is going build a tower, I hope it's nice looking. NOT one of those with a stick and a freakin ball on top (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Toronto%27s_CN_Tower.jpg) . The only tower I find visually appealing is the Eiffel Tower and Seattle's Space Needle.

I totally agree with you. Those and the TV Tower in Shanghai are the only towers I like. The Tower of Americas in SA is butt ugly and just blah!

Teacher_AZ_84
Nov 19, 2010, 5:47 PM

Good spot for it. I live near Speedway and Greasewood and we need more retail options in this little bubble on the westside. If this place was built with a hotel, I think it would attract people from all over S. Arizona and Mexico.

somethingfast
Nov 19, 2010, 7:34 PM
So why does Albuquerque get a 550 foot tower and Tucson doesn't? That's Wrongness. Tucson now needs a 600 foot tower.
Also Phoenix needs a 2000 foot tower

keep dreamin' dude. 2000' feet tower in phoenix??? you realize the sears (sorry, i'm not calling it the willis tower) tower is *only* 1,454' and the new freedom tower is 1,776'...chicago and new york, bro. phoenix does not equate to such a need and the proposal in the late 80's (1986 to be exact) was a pipedream hatched by some dutch entreprenuer. phoenix will be lucky to ever get a 700' tower and tucson will be lucky to every break 400'.

combusean
Nov 19, 2010, 8:50 PM

Some towers such as CN, the antenna on top of the destroyed WTC, and the Chicago Spire are primarily built for the purpose of broadcast facilities in flat, urbanized areas. Doesn't Tucson have a mountaintop broadcasting facility like Phoenix does that would rule out such a new purpose-built analogous structure?

acatalanb
Nov 19, 2010, 9:47 PM
Some towers such as CN, the antenna on top of the destroyed WTC, and the Chicago Spire are primarily built for the purpose of broadcast facilities in flat, urbanized areas. Doesn't Tucson have a mountaintop broadcasting facility like Phoenix does that would rule out such a new purpose-built analogous structure?

I think there is a broadcasting antenna somewhere on Mt. Lemmon or Catalina Mts that caters to some areas of Tucson. I remember it being mentioned when there was that great mt. lemmon fire back in 05-06 ? . Anyway a powerful wireless internet hub , observation deck or a restaurant from a downtown tower won't hurt. :fingerscrossed: Even another cell phone or digital tv broadcasting tower won't hurt either ... digital tv antennas need to be aimed straight to a digital broadcasting antenna ... quite sensitive than analog.

Here's another different looking tower from Taiwan. (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=15247) . It says it cost 93 million euros .

This site (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.shownewsinpictures&page=1) is filled with good stuff. Gets updated constantly. Along with skyscraperpage , I'd put this among my favorite sites.

Anqrew
Nov 19, 2010, 10:11 PM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/azstarnet.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/a/cc/4d9/acc4d91e-e31b-5e01-bc29-5e3fa4b46ebd-revisions/4ce32b4731b7f.image.jpg
The Twin Peaks I-10 Interchange opened today. Now when does construction on Marana Spectrum start?

Ritarancher
Nov 19, 2010, 11:04 PM
The new energy tower is getting big

Ritarancher
Nov 19, 2010, 11:06 PM

How about the Gateway arch?

acatalanb
Nov 19, 2010, 11:14 PM
How about the Gateway arch?

your dream might come true. you'll never know. that would come in handy by putting a big american flag on 4th of July or maybe hang some christmas lights after thanksgiving ... now if we could only find a way to NOT build that mud hut convento :psycho:

kaneui
Nov 20, 2010, 12:39 AM

The outlet mall would be a great addition to what is happening west of I-10--Mercado San Agustin opens next month, and Gadsden is planning additional retail as part of the new Mission District along Avenida del Convento. The critical component is that the Menlo Park/Mercado District/Mission District areas will get additional connectivity to the rest of downtown with the new Cushing St. bridge and modern streetcar.

As far as new hotels--Gadsden had announced an upscale boutique hotel under the Mexican Quinta Real brand for the Mission District, although I'm not sure that's still in the works. Also, Bourn is working on financing for a new 5-story Hampton Inn on the Thrifty site on Congress St., but even more hotel rooms will be needed if the convention center is upgraded/expanded anytime soon. Now that the TCC Sheraton proposal is dead, I'm guessing the Rio Nuevo board will be focusing on an upgrade of the TCC without a hotel.

kaneui
Nov 20, 2010, 12:55 AM
The Twin Peaks I-10 Interchange opened today. Now when does construction on Marana Spectrum start?

Don't hold your breath on that one--there's still lots of vacant retail space that needs to be absorbed before new construction picks up again. (Westcor has tabled their plans for a big mall in Marana--The Shops at Tangerine--until the market recovers.)

Ritarancher
Nov 20, 2010, 5:36 AM
keep dreamin' dude. 2000' feet tower in phoenix??? you realize the sears (sorry, i'm not calling it the willis tower) tower is *only* 1,454' and the new freedom tower is 1,776'...chicago and new york, bro. phoenix does not equate to such a need and the proposal in the late 80's (1986 to be exact) was a pipedream hatched by some dutch entreprenuer. phoenix will be lucky to ever get a 700' tower and tucson will be lucky to every break 400'.

Phoenix is growing much faster than Chicago. Chicago is losing people. I think that in the 2020 census that Phoenix (and Houston which is more populated than Phx) will have more people so it will be a major city. Major cities get 2000 foot towers. Besides more and more towers are built every year. around the world. The burj Kalifa won't be the tallest for that long.

aznate27
Nov 20, 2010, 8:26 AM
Crossing my fingers on this one!:)

200 mph from Tucson to Phoenix?
Posted: Nov 18, 2010 3:54 PM PST
Updated: Nov 18, 2010 7:48 PM PST

By Bud Foster

TUCSON, AZ (KOLD) - Color me a bit skeptical.

Nearly 15 years ago I hopped aboard a train at the Amtrak station in downtown Tucson and headed for Phoenix.

The train was packed with media, lobbyists and elected officials who were sure a high speed train to Phoenix was just around the corner.

It's been a long corner.

It's not the vision was bad or the excitement wasn't there, it just seems the timing wasn't right.

But things have changed.

The country is very, very slowly recovering from the Great Recession. Some say its stalled and could still go either way.

But what's not in question, Arizona's economy is awful and needs a shot in the arm.

"In a down economy, that's when you need something to spur the economy," says State Representative Steve Farley, a Democrat from District 28. "And there's nothing better to spur the economy than rail projects."

A new report just released by Arizona PIRG, shows just how rail projects around the world have been successful and lucrative.

"The international experience shows that high speed rail is a boon to regional and national economies," says Serena Unrein, a public interest advocate for Arizona PIRG. "It attracts businesses, increases property values and expands labor markets."

There are high speed rail systems in places like Japan, Spain, France, Germany, and China is adding hundreds of miles which will employ more than a hundred thousand workers.

So there is a wealth of knowledge about high speed rail and the economic benefits.

And it's not all tax money.

Farley says there are many private firms who want to finance Arizona's system in return for long term operating contracts.

A high speed system which will connect cities 300 to 600 miles apart will generate 1.5 million jobs nationwide.

"Thousands and thousands of high paying construction jobs in Arizona," Farley says.

The Arizona Department of Transportation has just released its first ever rail plan for the state. It includes plans for high speed rail not just to Tucson but to other destinations like Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Albuquerque.

Plans for the Tucson leg, and the price tag, should be finished within the next year.

The White House released nearly $8 billion for high speed infrastructure and Arizona is part of that.

So maybe this time the talk is serious.

©2010 KOLD. All rights reserved.

acatalanb
Nov 20, 2010, 11:21 AM
I'll tell ya, I'm excited about this high-speed railway. I hope it's affordable. I won't mind paying $20 round-trip to Vegas or San Diego. And I think it may come to reality since federal funds will be involved.

kaneui
Nov 21, 2010, 9:49 AM
(duplicate post)

kaneui
Nov 21, 2010, 10:24 AM
Since the recent Rio Nuevo audit didn't name any names, the Daily Star is pointing a big finger at a number of former and current city staffers and councilpersons as the main culprits for downtown's latest redevelopment mistakes:

Accountability downtown? That's crazy
by Josh Brodesky
Arizona Daily Star
November 21, 2010

Let's get realistic here. Downtown is a place where delusions happen. That's why Humberto Lopez thinks he can get away with pitching a taxpayer-financed renovation of his beleaguered Hotel Arizona. His proposal to have the city lease the downtown hotel for $1.6 million a year for 99 years has no shot. Not only does that add up to $158.4 million over the long haul, but the city would have to bond $17 million to cover renovations while taking all the risk. "It's a true public-private partnership," Lopez said. "It's gotta be a win-win." Lopez is armed with lots of charts and formulas to make the case this deal is somehow good for the cash-strapped city. After the renovations are finished, for example, he would put up another hotel next door - or surrender the land to the city. There's no way Tucson could lose, he said: A renovated hotel would generate more business - and more tax revenue. It would help keep the gem shows coming here.

The real winner in this dream scenario is Lopez, of course. He owes $22 million on his downtown albatross - the hotel is running at about 35 percent occupancy with 68 rooms out of service - and if he sold it to clear his debt, he said he would lose $8 million in taxes. That's the real motivation here. Why let reality get in the way? At least on this deal, City Council members seem pretty cool to the idea. The problem here, of course, isn't really the pitch Lopez is making. Rather, it's that the city's leadership has created an environment where Lopez thinks it's even remotely OK to make a pitch like this. And to some degree, who can blame him?

After all, this is the city that paid Rialto block developer Scott Stiteler $1.5 million simply because it failed to come to a development agreement with him. It's the city that gave a blank check to the University of Arizona to design the Rainbow Bridge. It's the city that literally gave away most of the block of East Congress between Scott and Stone avenues for $100 to developer Don Bourn, and then spent $900,000 to tear down the historic site - only to see a chain-link fence go up in its place. It's the city that so far sees nothing wrong with selling a prime piece of downtown real estate for $250,000 to the struggling Gadsden Co., which would then sell it for $1.43 million.

But at least there is an audit. Now that the Rio Nuevo audit has come out - which confirmed the Star's reporting that more than $230 million was spent with little oversight or management - accountability is the big buzz word downtown. But let's be honest - the city has no desire for real accountability. If it did, the public wouldn't be put through charades like Finance Director Kelly Gottschalk's performance at last week's council meeting. Gottschalk said the $900,000 Rio Nuevo paid to demolish the buildings for Bourn didn't actually count as spending on that project - which the audit said was improper - since the project was never built. Really?

Meanwhile, Councilwoman Shirley Scott bemoaned how Rio Nuevo's critics have used the audit to Monday-morning quarterback the council's decisions. Scott, along with Councilwomen Karin Uhlich and Regina Romero, co-authored a recent editorial in this paper saying the council must demand accountability. But apparently accountability doesn't involve looking in the mirror. Scott has been on the council throughout Rio Nuevo's mismanagement, but won't take responsibility for any part of this mess. "We are not CPAs. We are also not hoteliers," she said, explaining that the council makes decisions based on advice from city staff. Instead, Scott said the responsibility falls on "former managers" and their senior staffers. But just as the Rio Nuevo audit didn't do, Scott didn't name anyone. "I prefer that I do not name them so I don't have liability," she said. In fact, Scott said it was significant the audit didn't name anyone. "I thought that the Rio Nuevo audit came out with no smoking guns, so I don't know what you would go after," she said.

Since downtown is the place were delusions happen, I thought I'd engage in one of my own: real accountability. I'd like to see the rest of the Rio Nuevo money spent on a tin-plated plaque at the would-be Mission Gardens site. "Welcome to Rio Nuevo," the plaque would read. "Made possible by: Bob Walkup, Nina Trasoff, Mike Hein, Greg Shelko, James Keene, Karen Thoreson, Fred Ronstadt, Steve Leal, Regina Romero, John Updike, Karin Uhlich, Shirley Scott, José Ibarra, Alexis Faust and all of their enablers."

acatalanb
Nov 21, 2010, 12:41 PM
Here's an ADS link (http://azstarnet.com/news/local/collection_43666bf2-e397-11df-a547-001cc4c03286.html) regarding Rio Nuevo. Warning: it will make your blood boil. For example, they paid 63K to a Russian software company to create an IE toolbar add-on , 7K for 12 iPhones and 355K for travel expenses for consultants and personnel ... all just for the Rainbow Bridge. :hell:

I like reading the opinions of this downtown renovation expert (http://www.robertabrandesgratz.com/) . She advises renovating downtown for the community first, tourism second. I wished the city of Tucson should've hired this person before they wasted $230 million. I find her to be a credible consultant ( not one of them car salesman type )

somethingfast
Nov 21, 2010, 2:28 PM
Phoenix is growing much faster than Chicago. Chicago is losing people. I think that in the 2020 census that Phoenix (and Houston which is more populated than Phx) will have more people so it will be a major city. Major cities get 2000 foot towers. Besides more and more towers are built every year. around the world. The burj Kalifa won't be the tallest for that long.

clearly, you are a young guy cuz you're not grasping fundamental economic principles. chicago is a MAJOR city in terms of productive output, culture, etc. it doesn't have a 2,000 foot tower. phoenix is not growing at nearly the pace it did before as the financial meltdown as totally altered the economy, and likely for the long term. an economy built heavily on growth itself will only fuel speculative projects. and NOBODY is going to build a 2,000 foot tower let alone another 40-story project in phoenix *hoping* there will be a demand. if i could wager on this, i would bet everything i have that phoenix will most certainly not have a 2,000 foot tower in the next 50 years if ever (more likely).

as for the massive expansion of towers around the world, it is largely fueled by both expansionary monetary policy (devaluing against the dollar) by the chinese and other countries. and in dubai it's simply a massive real estate bubble not unlike the housing bubbles in Vegas and Phoenix to use extreme examples. in dubai's case...it's towers not homes. keep in mind that probably HALF if not more of all those shiny new towers are EMPTY.

the US is currently undergoing MASSIVE economic changes that will alter our nation for a long time (debt that is now unmanageable, aging baby boomers, tons of illegals, etc.). when you realize that new york, chicago, LA, and Boston (arguably the most "important" financial centers) have ZERO 2,000 foot towers...well, it's kinda delusional to believe phoenix will have one just because another million people may move there in the next 20 years, largely to work as real estate agents, insurance agents, and sales clerks.

lastly, water is becoming a MAJOR problem everywhere but, obviously, places with little water immediately available (underground) such as phoenix, vegas, tucson, etc. will suffer the most. phoenix's population is probably unsustainable long-term as it is unless desalination and conservation really takes hold. i would wager that phoenix will max out at 5.2 million +/1 500,000 over the next 20 years. jobs are more important than sunshine ultimately to most people.

aznate27
Nov 21, 2010, 9:43 PM
What the city counsel has done warrents a criminal investigation in my eyes! They have robbed the city of HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars..and have NOTHING to show for it! Lopez can rot in greedy hell for all I care, just like his dump of a hotel downtown. The nerve of him to come up with such an outlandish proposal! What a jack ass!:hell:

Butta
Nov 22, 2010, 7:10 AM
Well, now all I want the city to do is small projects, put cobblestones and/or pavers on the sidewalks, plant trees, install planters, build small plazas/parks.

I'm tired of huge projects that never get built out. Downtown needs to look clean, nice and modern, before any firms are going to want to invest any private money. I rather they spend $1 million on beautification than a pipe dream. Invest in infrastructure Tucson, you cannot build a house without a foundation.

If I hear of another study or stupid grandiose project, I'm going to loose it. :hell:

Butta
Nov 22, 2010, 7:49 AM
So you tell me, if a company cannot avoid bankruptcy having one of the nicest resorts in one of the most exclusive parts of Tucson, what does that say about a downtown hotel? By the way, Westin is run by the same company Sheraton is, Starwood Hotels. It's a good thing that hotel will not be getting build downtown. Like I said before, let's invest the tax payer's money in infrastructure, building a hotel, arena or bridge to nowhere will not be the answer to downtown rehabilitation.

Westin resort files for bankruptcy
BY JOSH MCCANN, jmccann@islandpacket.com
Monday, November 22, 2010

HILTON HEAD ISLAND -- The owner of the Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa has filed for bankruptcy protection to avoid foreclosure.

Transwest Resort Properties of Tucson, Ariz., sought the protection last Wednesday. The move allows the company to propose a plan to reorganize, keep its business open and pay creditors over time.

Transwest's bankruptcy filing came after subsidiaries defaulted on a loan and as lenders were "working toward the imminent appointment of a receiver," according to court documents.

Transwest also owns the Westin La Paloma Resort and Country Club in Tucson.

Officials at the 412-room Hilton Head resort said it will continue to operate while Transwest seeks to pay off a $209 million loan it took out to finance improvements at the two hotels.

"It's business as usual," said Ken Nason, director of sales and marketing. "This is a filing between the owner and the bank."

Financial analysts had warned that Transwest was in danger of defaulting on the loan in 2008.

Although the resorts make enough money to cover operations, they do not make enough to justify their present levels of debt, according to court documents.

The resorts employ more than 700 people and are managed by Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide of White Plains, N.Y. The Hilton Head workforce ranges from about 200 to 400 people, depending on the season, Nason said.

Occupancy at the resort has grown slightly in 2010 compared to the previous year, and room rates are stabilizing, Nason said. The resort should set a record this year for leisure occupants, and corporate groups that shied away from resorts during the recession are starting to return, he said.

Nason declined to provide specific figures.

Without the loan, Nason said, the resort is "an operating business that does quite well."

The debtors said in court documents that reorganization will enable the resorts to avoid liquidation; complete a three-year, multimillion-dollar capital improvement plan; and maximize their ability to pay creditors.

Transwest officials could not be reached for comment.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/nov/22/22scwestin/

Butta
Nov 22, 2010, 8:11 AM
http://www.thezmag.com/imgs/hed/art476widea.jpg

Building the Arts District
By Carli Brosseau

Toole Avenue, for years, was pinned against the railroad tracks, the rope of an impending throughway construction up against its neck. Some of the state-owned warehouses along its length went unmaintained or sat empty, the gravel-strewn byway largely silent.

Reprieve has come.

The road project was rerouted and the state Department of Transportation auctioned the most recent batch of warehouses in April. Peach Properties scooped up warehouses at 1 E. Toole Ave. and 119 E. Toole Ave. Investor Steve Fenton bought the spaces in between. The result is almost two solid blocks of art gallery and studio space that is rustling back to life. '

Ron and Patricia Schwabe of Peach Properties have enlisted untiring arts ringmaster David Aguirre to plan and organize the future of 119 E. Toole Ave., the warehouse directly across the street from the planned but stalled Pima County courthouse. The former Zee’s Warehouse at 1 E. Toole Ave. is being fixed up to lease.

Aguirre is overflowing with ideas. For the six months since his Dinnerware gallery was ousted from its home on Congress Street to make way for restaurant and bar An Congress (with a yet-to-be-determined opening date), Aguirre has been traveling and researching, contemplating the way forward. His plan is as sprawling as the buildings he seeks to revive.

In the 20,000 square feet of the former recycling center at 119 E. Toole Ave., Aguirre sees the future Dinnerware Artspace, Central Arts Gallery, and two new artist collaboratives. He hopes to provide the collaboratives with exhibition spaces that are separate but mutable –'the great room divided by walls on rollers perhaps.

The idea is to use the unbroken space to hold events such as Ignite Tucson – an evening of 5-minute PowerPoint presentations on whatever the presenter wants.

But that’s not all. Adjoining bays would hold a ceramics workshop, some kind of movement classes –'dance, maybe yoga; an etching workshop and a silkscreen workshop. A darkroom is slated for one of the walk-in refrigerators in the basement. Other refrigerators could be used for installations.

A below-ground, rough stone-walled great room might be used for storytelling events. The dock will have wifi; in the courtyard, Aguirre hopes to bring in a food cart for use as a community kitchen. '

Donated supplies are starting to come in. Fire code compliance is being negotiated. Doors are being built, skylights are being installed and walls are being sandblasted.

“It’s exciting,” Aguirre said. “There’s something new every day. The plan is the gateway activity,” he said. “It’s like going out to dance, and you go out, but you don’t know what’s going to happen.”

At both of the Peach-owned properties Aguirre plans to have programming for the All Souls Procession November 7. Artists will utilize the dock at the 1 E. Toole Ave. building and the courtyard of 119 E. Toole.

Meanwhile, 20 artists have moved into studios in the Arches building, 35 E. Toole Ave., managed by Steven Eye of Solar Culture - the one spot that has been active consistently over the years.

Two shows are planned for November in the building’s exhibition space. Robert Barber will curate a show of the life’s work of his late wife, longtime local artist Fern Barber, his companion for 63 years. The large-scale sculptures of Tucson’s Tina Notaro will also be on display.

Lulubell Toy Bodega, formerly of the complex at Sixth Street and Sixth Avenue, has also moved into the Arches building’s east corner.

“We liked the direction this block is going,” said Amy DelCastillo, co-owner of Lulubell with Luke Rook, who now scouts for the store from Tokyo. “There’s a nice little buzz right now.”

DelCastillo is hoping momentum will build, bringing more foot traffic and artists to that corner of downtown. The store’s grand opening was October 16

http://www.thezmag.com/article-476-building-the-arts-district.html

kaneui
Nov 22, 2010, 8:18 AM
Well, now all I want the city to do is small projects, put cobblestones and/or pavers on the sidewalks, plant trees, install planters, build small plazas/parks.

I'm tired of huge projects that never get built out. Downtown needs to look clean, nice and modern, before any firms are going to want to invest any private money. I rather they spend $1 million on beautification than a pipe dream. Invest in infrastructure Tucson, you cannot build a house without a foundation.

If I hear of another study or stupid grandiose project, I'm going to loose it. :hell:

As former DTP exec Glenn Lyons once said, Tucson needs to stop trying for home runs and just get some base hits. After striking out with Rio Nuevo, hopefully the city has come to its senses, since local politicians have never been adept at planning or implementing downtown redevelopment.

Butta
Nov 22, 2010, 8:27 AM
TRIPLE-A BASEBALL AT TUCSON ELECTRIC PARK
Padres officials impressed by facilities

Sarah Trotto Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:00 am

San Diego Padres officials had seen Tucson Electric Park before, but on Wednesday morning, they were able to examine the home-team facilities at the ballpark.

And they were surprised by the size of the locker room and offices.

"We're excited about being here," said Padres director of player development and international scouting Randy Smith, who toured TEP before he and Triple-A manager Terry Kennedy were introduced to the media.

The Padres' Triple-A team will play at least the 2011 season in Tucson after relocating from Portland, Ore.

"From a development standpoint, being able to get your work done, this is fantastic," Smith said.

"The space is tremendous. It's a major-league clubhouse, really."

The team has yet to be named - general manager Mike Feder said Tucson Padres is a possibility. A lease to use TEP is about 90 percent completed, Feder said. The agreement is for one year with an option for another.

The team is being sold to an ownership group headed by Padres owner Jeff Moorad, who intends to move the team to Escondido, Calif. The city council will vote Nov. 30 on construction of a $45 million to $50 million ballpark.

Smith, a Scottsdale resident, discussed TEP, the advantages to playing in Tucson and what the team might look like.

A roster won't be decided for months, but what might the team look like?

A: "It's going to be a little younger than perhaps your typical Triple-A team. Our prospects are starting to move up the system, so we're going to have guys on their way to the big leagues. We might have a couple guys who got up last year that maybe still need a little time down here, but it's probably going to be more a mix of prospects than it is veteran minor-leaguers that are looking for another opportunity in the big leagues. I think we're going to have some pretty good arms. We'll have some speed. Obviously, here, we're going to need to hit the ball out of the ballpark, lot of runs scored in this park."

How does Tucson's proximity to San Diego help your planning?

A: "It's pretty easy to get from here to San Diego. It's easy to get a guy from (Double-A) San Antonio to here if we have an injury, or if we're in a real jam, we can run somebody up I-10 if we're that short and we have an injury that we need a body here."

Which players might see time here?

"Simon Castro is one of our top prospects, a right-handed pitcher. Jeremy Hefner had a good year in Double-A. Matt Clark drove in almost 100 runs in Double-A in a tough ballpark. There are some younger ones. I wouldn't want to bring up their names yet because they have to accomplish some things in Double-A, but there are some guys who wouldn't surprise me."

The team will play four games in July at Single-A affiliate Fort Wayne, Ind. What are the advantages of that?

"It's a break for these guys to get out of the heat a little bit and a chance to reward our franchise in Fort Wayne with players who have come through there."

How long might the team be here?

"Jeff Moorad and his group are in discussions with officials in North County. We're focused on 2011 and happy to be here, and we'll see what happens. Tucson has a rich tradition of baseball history. We're happy to be here and be part of it. There will be a number of fans who go to San Diego to escape the heat in the summer, and maybe they'll see some of these guys who've been promoted."

http://azstarnet.com/sports/baseball/professional/minor/article_833fc8bb-953a-589a-96ca-92dcad633dc0.html

kaneui
Nov 22, 2010, 8:49 AM
So you tell me, if a company cannot avoid bankruptcy having one of the nicest resorts in one of the most exclusive parts of Tucson, what does that say about a downtown hotel? By the way, Westin is run by the same company Sheraton is, Starwood Hotels. It's a good thing that hotel will not be getting build downtown. Like I said before, let's invest the tax payer's money in infrastructure, building a hotel, arena or bridge to nowhere will not be the answer to downtown rehabilitation.

Keep in mind that the owners of large hotels and resorts are usually not the operators. Westin is still running a nice resort, but has had to drop room rates significantly in order to stay competitive--even in the luxury segment. Consequently, that reduced cash flow is no longer sufficient to cover the owner's debt service on a property that was purchased a few years ago at the top of the market. Also, many analysts say that what we're seeing now is just the beginning of a wave of bankruptcies and foreclosures in the commercial sector, and the forecast for the next few years doesn't look rosy.

acatalanb
Nov 22, 2010, 9:52 AM
Since we are talking about real estate bubbles , let me add in addition to Dubai having empty rooms in their skyscrapers as mentioned, China has a large share of empty rooms with their magnificent skyscrapers also. In fact, analyst are predicting a high probability of a massive real estate bubble in China in the near future.

Despite the 'bubbles', building dorms and affordable apts downtown is still a good idea due to it's demand from students, continue the light rail (since it's already funded), build the greyhound bus depot (since it's partly funded), build more of those mixed retail/business/residence complexes, keep the sun tran bus depot, add big box stores, commercial movie theater and fast foods is needed downtown, free wi-fi (not just around the presidio park), and build that high end mall by I-10 . The idea here is to have everything needed to live within a walking distance.

I used to lived close to the U and I either have to walk long distance, bike or beg for a ride to buy groceries etc... If everything is within walking distance as I mentioned above, I can guarantee that demand to move downtown will skyrocket. You want to make part of downtown student centric because Tucson is pretty much a college town. And that it's a guarantee that students will ALWAYS be present in Tucson.

Adding military housing downtown ain't bad either since the other half of Tucson is a military town. Just add a special bus route to Ft. Huachuca and Davis Monthan to cater the military families who want to live in Tucson proper. FYI, Sun Tran has a special bus for Raytheon employees.

The tourist development that Walkup and crew wanted just needs to be scrapped or funded and run by a non-profit corp.

* Well folks, I sent email to the other council members. I hope they listen. It's done. I like to get straight to the source of 'decision making' bypassing other organizations.

kaneui
Nov 22, 2010, 9:14 PM
Anyone wanting to give their two bits (ok, three minutes max.) to the Rio Nuevo board about the recent audit can do so at their next meeting on Nov. 29 (the public hearing will begin at 6 p.m. and last for no more than 90 minutes).

For more info.: http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/sites/default/files/finance/RNMFD%20112910Agenda.pdf, http://www.azauditor.gov/Reports/Other/FAD/Rio_Nuevo_Multipurpose_Facilities_District.pdf

somethingfast
Nov 23, 2010, 3:13 AM

lol i can't believe you're even comparing chicago to phoenix! chicago THE CITY might be losing people (not even sure about that) but the metro is still growing man. 9.4 million? something like that now. chicago is a MAJOR center for finance, transportation, corporate HQ, etc. phoenix is home to, well, 4.3 million people but little else that is of major importance. and i like phoenix! i lived there. but it's not chicago. hell, i just lived in houston too and it's got nothing on chicago but, again, is vastly more imporant than phoenix. okay, i'm done...

Locofresh55
Nov 23, 2010, 6:26 AM
TRIPLE-A BASEBALL AT TUCSON ELECTRIC PARK
Padres officials impressed by facilities

Sarah Trotto Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:00 am

San Diego Padres officials had seen Tucson Electric Park before, but on Wednesday morning, they were able to examine the home-team facilities at the ballpark.

And they were surprised by the size of the locker room and offices.

"We're excited about being here," said Padres director of player development and international scouting Randy Smith, who toured TEP before he and Triple-A manager Terry Kennedy were introduced to the media.

The Padres' Triple-A team will play at least the 2011 season in Tucson after relocating from Portland, Ore.

"From a development standpoint, being able to get your work done, this is fantastic," Smith said.

"The space is tremendous. It's a major-league clubhouse, really."

The team has yet to be named - general manager Mike Feder said Tucson Padres is a possibility. A lease to use TEP is about 90 percent completed, Feder said. The agreement is for one year with an option for another.

The team is being sold to an ownership group headed by Padres owner Jeff Moorad, who intends to move the team to Escondido, Calif. The city council will vote Nov. 30 on construction of a $45 million to $50 million ballpark.

Smith, a Scottsdale resident, discussed TEP, the advantages to playing in Tucson and what the team might look like.

A roster won't be decided for months, but what might the team look like?

A: "It's going to be a little younger than perhaps your typical Triple-A team. Our prospects are starting to move up the system, so we're going to have guys on their way to the big leagues. We might have a couple guys who got up last year that maybe still need a little time down here, but it's probably going to be more a mix of prospects than it is veteran minor-leaguers that are looking for another opportunity in the big leagues. I think we're going to have some pretty good arms. We'll have some speed. Obviously, here, we're going to need to hit the ball out of the ballpark, lot of runs scored in this park."

How does Tucson's proximity to San Diego help your planning?

A: "It's pretty easy to get from here to San Diego. It's easy to get a guy from (Double-A) San Antonio to here if we have an injury, or if we're in a real jam, we can run somebody up I-10 if we're that short and we have an injury that we need a body here."

Which players might see time here?

"Simon Castro is one of our top prospects, a right-handed pitcher. Jeremy Hefner had a good year in Double-A. Matt Clark drove in almost 100 runs in Double-A in a tough ballpark. There are some younger ones. I wouldn't want to bring up their names yet because they have to accomplish some things in Double-A, but there are some guys who wouldn't surprise me."

The team will play four games in July at Single-A affiliate Fort Wayne, Ind. What are the advantages of that?

"It's a break for these guys to get out of the heat a little bit and a chance to reward our franchise in Fort Wayne with players who have come through there."

How long might the team be here?

"Jeff Moorad and his group are in discussions with officials in North County. We're focused on 2011 and happy to be here, and we'll see what happens. Tucson has a rich tradition of baseball history. We're happy to be here and be part of it. There will be a number of fans who go to San Diego to escape the heat in the summer, and maybe they'll see some of these guys who've been promoted."

http://azstarnet.com/sports/baseball/professional/minor/article_833fc8bb-953a-589a-96ca-92dcad633dc0.html

I really hope that Tucson the city and Tucsonans get behind this team....don't shrug it off as say, "Oh well, it's not the U of A". How many of you complained of the Tucson Sidewinders and how you didn't want them to leave?? And how many really went to their games? Look, it sounds like the triple A team wants to stay longer than the one year in Tucson, but it ultimately comes down to our city getting behind them and going to the games. Padres have a pretty good farm system so there is true potential (right now more potential than the D-backs farm system unfortunately) but bottom line, this is another chance for triple A baseball and if this turns into a long-term deal, than hopefully the demand will come to start putting facilities near TEP that don't deal with PIMA county or state of Arizona. TEP isn't in the greatest location, but if this team proves to be a good thing, that can change everything.

kaneui
Nov 23, 2010, 7:56 PM
Having negotiated a new lease agreement with the Rialto Theatre, the Rio Nuevo board now has one less headache left by Greg Shelko & Co., and can now move on to other matters--TCC, the Fox, the Thrifty block, etc.:

Rialto ends rent dispute with Rio Nuevo Board
by Rob O'Dell
Arizona Daily Star
November 23, 2010

The Rialto Theatre has struck a new lease agreement with the Rio Nuevo Board in which the theater will pay monthly rent and about $110,000 in back rent, ending a dispute that could have led to the theater's eviction. Although the agreement is between the Rialto and Rio Nuevo, the Tucson City Council is set to approve the deal at its meeting today because the city was part of the original agreement with the Rialto, an old downtown movie theater on East Congress Street. In late summer, Rio Nuevo gave the nonprofit theater foundation that runs the Rialto notice that it owed $260,000 for back rent and restoration, and that it had 60 days to remedy the default or be evicted. The theater responded at the time by saying it might file for bankruptcy to avoid eviction. Both sides, however, decided to negotiate.

The agreement is a win for the Rio Nuevo District. The Rialto will begin paying $3,690 a month immediately for rent, and it must continue doing so until 2014. It also must put aside 3 percent of its gross revenues to pay for restoration. After 2014, the $3,690 lease payments end, said Michael Crawford, president of the board of the Rialto Theatre Foundation. After that, the Rialto will owe the district only the 3 percent of gross revenues. Previously, the Rialto had used the theater-restoration costs as a credit against its rent. Rialto officials said former Rio Nuevo Director Greg Shelko had given that his verbal approval. Some of the items submitted as representing costs of theater restoration - such as a new sound system - were later rejected by the new Rio Nuevo Board because the improvements weren't permanent.

Under the agreement, the theater must make $110,000 in improvements by 2014 in order to pay off back rent and restoration costs that it owes the district. The Rialto also must give ownership of its non-permanent equipment, such as sound and lighting systems, to the board. Rio Nuevo owns the theater, but the nonprofit foundation runs it. The Rio Nuevo Board also will appoint two new members to the Rialto Theatre Foundation Board, increasing that board's size from seven members to nine.

The city originally made the agreements with the Rialto, but the Rio Nuevo Board took control of the Rialto after the Legislature stripped the city of its control of Rio Nuevo and installed a new board. The move was done amid outrage over the city's spending of $230 million for downtown redevelopment with little or nothing to show for it. "We're happy it's over," said Crawford, the Rialto Foundation chief. "We want to put it behind us and move forward." The previous agreement with the city wasn't written clearly, and the new agreement allows the Rialto to move forward and become an economic engine downtown, Crawford said. Mark Irvin, the vice chairman of the Rio Nuevo Board, said the district had taken a non-performing asset and fixed the problems. No one in the city had addressed the matter in the past because it was a "political hot potato," he said. "The Rialto was in default and had been in default for 10 years," Irvin said.

kaneui
Nov 24, 2010, 8:41 PM
Bus station still searching for a home
City Council kills plan to move it back to the east end of downtown

by Rob O'Dell
Arizona Daily Star
November 24, 2010

Plans to move the Greyhound bus station back to the east end of downtown were scuttled unanimously Tuesday by the Tucson City Council. The council told the city staff to find another location for the station other than the site on North Toole Avenue next to the Historic Train Depot. The council said it would not give up the $2 million grant for the area that staffers had wanted to use to pay for the new bus station. Instead, it will try to use the money for one of the other uses allowed. Mayor Bob Walkup was absent. Transportation Director Jim Glock said the other uses include a platform for passenger rail access, a rail spur or rail siding that creates a new rail line off existing track, design modifications to the Ronstadt Transit Center, or pedestrian crossings on Toole Avenue. Glock said the city also will look into selling the vacant land next to the train depot for commercial use. City Manager Mike Letcher said he will work with a number of community interests - bus riders, business owners, the Regional Transportation Authority, the Downtown Tucson Partnership and a city transportation task force - to craft a new plan on where to move the bus station.

The city's staff planned to move the station, now just off the Interstate 10 frontage road south of West Congress Street, because it's on a parcel of land the city needs to sell to help balance this year's budget. For years, the station was on East Congress Street near the Rialto Theatre. The city spent $850,000 to move the station from the east end of downtown, Glock said, adding that it could take about $1.5 million to build a permanent structure for the bus facility. Councilwoman Regina Romero said she hoped the money for the move could come from land sales rather than from the general fund.

The plan to move the Greyhound station next to the train depot outraged some business owners, who contend the station doesn't fit the area and would cause traffic congestion. Business owners turned out to the council meeting to oppose the plan, and bus riders also turned out for a prayer and rally led by Brian Flagg of Casa Maria Soup Kitchen. Council members said the bus station may not need to move if the city doesn't get a good offer on the I-10 site. Councilwoman Karin Uhlich said much of the "escalated dialogue" on the Greyhound move has come from the fact that some of the Greyhound operation would have been located in the train depot. She said that area is too congested and couldn't handle the additional traffic that the bus station would bring.

Maynards Market and Kitchen owner Richard Oseran said the decision not to move the Greyhound station was the right one, but he said he was concerned about plans to spend the $2 million federal grant in the area. Oseran said he supported it "if they can use the $2 million on something that benefits the community." "If they get crazy spending money just to spend money, then it's wasted," Oseran said. "That's what happened with Rio Nuevo."

acatalanb
Nov 25, 2010, 12:08 AM
I'm disappointed the council rejected 6th/Toole as the permanent Greyhound Depot. Having been a Sun Tran and Greyhound Bus rider myself, I just find it convenient to have all those bus stops in one place. It would be interesting if anything will ever be built in that area. I doubt that $2 mil grant will ever be used since it's allocated for that bus depot specifically. However, if that area becomes successful ( translation: congested with pedestrian, at least ), then it's great.

Anyways, I got a complement from one of the councilmen regarding putting up military housing downtown with an express bus route to the bases. He thinks it's a brilliant idea.

Teacher_AZ_84
Nov 25, 2010, 2:32 AM
I'm disappointed the council rejected 6th/Toole as the permanent Greyhound Depot. Having been a Sun Tran and Greyhound Bus rider myself, I just find it convenient to have all those bus stops in one place. It would be interesting if anything will ever be built in that area. I doubt that $2 mil grant will ever be used since it's allocated for that bus depot specifically. However, if that area becomes successful ( translation: congested with pedestrian, at least ), then it's great.

Anyways, I got a complement from one of the councilmen regarding putting up military housing downtown with an express bus route to the bases. He thinks it's a brilliant idea.

It is a great idea! We need to have more people downtown!

acatalanb
Nov 25, 2010, 12:54 PM
AZ Illustrated interview of Councilwoman Uhlich and Councilman Cunningham with reference to the bus hoopla. (http://www.azpm.org/news/story/2010/11/24/200-fallout-post-prop-400-prompts-problems/)

I'd say move the Greyhound Depot in Ronstadt Transit Center , in case a permanent home can't be found! Looks like more buses will added at that Transit Center in the coming future. A bus is a bus.

I can't wait to see this Transbay Transit Center (http://transbaycenter.org/media-gallery/image-gallery/transit-center-architecture) finished. If you look around this great downtown transportation hub, it has commercial and residential high rises around it. And yes, there's a Greyhound Bus Depot in this terminal. (http://transbaycenter.org/project/program-overview/project-map) Tucson, how about having a real downtown ... not just a utopian playground for the welfare rich.

Butta
Nov 25, 2010, 6:06 PM
AZ Illustrated interview of Councilwoman Uhlich and Councilman Cunningham with reference to the bus hoopla. (http://www.azpm.org/news/story/2010/11/24/200-fallout-post-prop-400-prompts-problems/)

I'd say move the Greyhound Depot in Ronstadt Transit Center , in case a permanent home can't be found! Looks like more buses will added at that Transit Center in the coming future. A bus is a bus.

I can't wait to see this Transbay Transit Center (http://transbaycenter.org/media-gallery/image-gallery/transit-center-architecture) finished. If you look around this great downtown transportation hub, it has commercial and residential high rises around it. And yes, there's a Greyhound Bus Depot in this terminal. (http://transbaycenter.org/project/program-overview/project-map) Tucson, how about having a real downtown ... not just a utopian playground for the welfare rich.

Comparing a world class city like San Francisco to Tucson is like comparing a nun to Heidi Klum, just not fair. However, I agree that Tucson should create density, by that, it means not only foot traffic but vehicular traffic, why would you put the Greyhound station next to the freeway, in a lot tucked away from everything? What downtown needs is density, period. Looks like the snobbery has already started even though there's not much to be a snob about in downtown Tucson.

acatalanb
Nov 25, 2010, 7:59 PM
Comparing a world class city like San Francisco to Tucson is like comparing a nun to Heidi Klum, just not fair. However, I agree that Tucson should create density, by that, it means not only foot traffic but vehicular traffic, why would you put the Greyhound station next to the freeway, in a lot tucked away from everything? What downtown needs is density, period. Looks like the snobbery has already started even though there's not much to be a snob about in downtown Tucson.

Agreed. I was just implying that a transportation hub can be an uplift in revenues for businesses downtown. The San Fran Transbay Transit Center cost over $4 BILLION alone. That's way beyond any budget in any Arizona city.

Density, that's the right word for a successful downtown. Congestion seem to have a negative connotation. I just can't figure out why some people would equate a successful downtown with NO 'congestion' or sparse density ( fewer people like right now in downtown Tucson ).

kaneui
Nov 25, 2010, 8:07 PM

I feel that with all the new adjacent construction, the coming streetcar line, and the narrow streets, the Ronstadt Center has outgrown its current location and needs to be situated more on the periphery of downtown, but still close to other transportation links. The city should consider a larger site to combine both the Ronstadt and the Greyhound depot, possibly at the proposed Cultural Plaza site west of I-10 that will have a streetcar stop, or even the vacant lot for the proposed courthouse at Toole and Alameda.

acatalanb
Nov 25, 2010, 8:44 PM
I feel that with all the new adjacent construction, the coming streetcar line, and the narrow streets, the Ronstadt Center has outgrown its current location and needs to be situated more on the periphery of downtown, but still close to other transportation links. The city should consider a larger site to combine both the Ronstadt and the Greyhound depot, possibly at the proposed Cultural Plaza site west of I-10 that will have a streetcar stop, or even the vacant lot for the proposed courthouse at Toole and Alameda.

You make sense but good luck with those sites considering the cheapness and limited budget of Tucson not too mention the possible vocal NIMBY's around the area. I thought the council missed a good opportunity at that 6th/Toole area since there's funds already allocated and it's close by the train depot - a real transportation hub.

Butta
Nov 25, 2010, 10:27 PM

That's exactly what I don't want to see. No offense, but I dislike it when people want to talk about the west side this and that. What people need to focus is on the east end of downtown, once that is thriving, we can move on to the west side, north side, south side, etc. There needs to be a solid core before we can start dreaming up new downtown areas, etc.

kaneui
Nov 26, 2010, 8:35 AM
If Rio Nuevo will commit the $2M in matching funds requested by the DTP, downtown could see an additional 15 major and 20 minor facade improvements of historic buildings, making a huge visual impact over the next several years:

Latest downtown facade improvements:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/BeowulfAlleyfacaderestoration-1.jpg
Beowulf Alley Theatre - 11 S. Sixth Ave.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/ScreeningRoomfacaderestoration-1.jpg
The Screening Room - 127 E. Congress St.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/ScottBuildingfacaderestoration-1.jpg
Scott Building - 64 E. Broadway

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/RialtoBuildingfacaderestoration-1.jpg
Rialto Building- 300 E. Congress St.
(photos: Greg Bryan)

New fix-up money for old storefronts
$2M sought for downtown facades

by Rob O'Dell
Arizona Daily Star
November 26, 2010

One of the few downtown programs most people agree was a complete success was for facade grants that helped improve the appearance of four prominent downtown properties since 2008. Now with $80,000 left over from the original program, plus another $80,000 in matching money from Providence Service Corp., the Downtown Tucson Partnership will start its second round of facade grants by early next year, said Michael Keith, chief executive officer of the Downtown Tucson Partnership. And the partnership has larger ambitions: It wants about $2 million from the city and Rio Nuevo to enlarge the program to unprecedented levels. "For $2 million, we can really have an impact," Keith said. Keith made his pitch to Rio Nuevo earlier this month. The board sounded receptive, but it wanted more details. Keith said he has not pitched the idea to the city because of its massive budget deficit.

In 2008, using $450,000 left over from an earlier downtown-improvement program, the partnership allowed 20 people to compete for four facade grants, giving away some money for design work. Three of the original winners and amounts received are: the Scott Building, 64 E. Broadway, and owner Ron Schwabe, $125,000; the Rialto Block and owner Scott Stiteler, $125,000; and The Screening Room, 127 E. Congress St., $63,000. The fourth grant was given to Wigorama, at East Congress Street and Scott Avenue. Wigorama couldn't perform under the grant, and it was then given to another downtown owner who later declined it. Finally, it went to Beowulf Alley Theatre, 11 S. Sixth Ave., for more than $31,000. The Beowulf is being finished now, Keith said. The buildings had to be deemed historic, and the program required that the city be given a "historic easement" on the property. The property owners had to match the grants with their own money.

Facade grants are seen as a way to provide the downtown with an immediate aesthetic face-lift, making tangible improvements to the area for relatively little cost. Providence Service Corp. moved into the Scott Building after it was fixed up. Keith said the new program will take the $80,000 remaining from 2008, which will be matched by money raised by Fletcher McCusker, chief executive officer of Providence. McCusker had been seeking his own facade grant for a building west of the Scott Building. In addition to the one or two historic-facade grants ranging from $60,000 to $120,000 for buildings that are on the National Register of Historic Places or are eligible, the facade program also will have a smaller "paint and awning program" for smaller storefronts. That program pays for quick fixes, new awnings or paint jobs. The requirement for business owners to match each grant with an equal amount of their own will remain the same.

Keith said the partnership will put aside $20,000 to $40,000 initially for the paint-and-awning program to fund awards of between $500 and $5,000. But if the partnership could get $2 million in funding from the city, it could do 15 large historic-facade grants and 20 grants under the smaller paint-and-awning program, Keith said. Rio Nuevo Board Vice Chairman Mark Irvin said he was interested in the program but needs to know more about it, specifically about the bidding process and how the projects are selected.

Because the city has a huge budget deficit and Rio Nuevo has a small amount of cash right now, Irvin suggested that the program could be spread out over several years, with Rio Nuevo covering the initial funding and the city picking up the rest. Keith said he hasn't talked more with Rio Nuevo about the program. The facade program provides good bang for the buck, Irvin said. "I would have loved to have done a facade program when we were flush with cash," Rio Nuevo's Irvin said. He added that with the $230 million the district has spent, "we could have done a facade for every building in the district."

DID YOU KNOW...

The city already has funded at least four rounds of downtown facade restorations as part of different revitalization plans.

In the early 1980s, the city provided matching grants of up to $10,000 to businesses willing to share in the cost of repairing, or preferably historically restoring, their facades. The program had few takers. The city again put up money - about $80,000 - for facade restorations in 1998-99, working through the Tucson Downtown Alliance. But the program got bogged down because the alliance was going through some internal struggles.

In 2001, Mayor Bob Walkup put up $241,000 in Back to Basics grants for a series of facade restorations. In 2008, the Downtown Tucson Partnership funded $450,000 in facade improvements for four downtown buildings that are being finished now.

Butta
Nov 27, 2010, 9:03 AM
The facade program provides good bang for the buck, Irvin said. "I would have loved to have done a facade program when we were flush with cash," Rio Nuevo's Irvin said. He added that with the $230 million the district has spent, "we could have done a facade for every building in the district

Exactly, now I just hope the little cash they have left is spent on these type of improvements.

Kaneui, do I remember correctly that this facade program was one of Glenn Lyons ideas? And guess what, it worked out, but like typical Tucson the political bureaucracy had to run out of town an experienced out of towner, a Canadian with a proven track record, because he was not willing to play the corrupt games we in the Old Pueblo are so accustomed to.

kaneui
Nov 27, 2010, 8:16 PM
Kaneui, do I remember correctly that this facade program was one of Glenn Lyons ideas? And guess what, it worked out, but like typical Tucson the political bureaucracy had to run out of town an experienced out of towner, a Canadian with a proven track record, because he was not willing to play the corrupt games we in the Old Pueblo are so accustomed to.

As noted in the article, facade improvements have been on the city's agenda for years, but it was the DTP that implemented this latest round. Rio Nuevo should consider some of the ideas Lyons put forth in his plan to redevelop downtown (see my Tucson project list), although with the state mandating that they focus on the convention center and hotel, it's uncertain whether they can even commit to the facade improvement program, given their limited financial resources.

kaneui
Nov 28, 2010, 7:03 PM
Pecan-Grove Owners Show Plans for Big Development in Sahuarita
By Tony Davis
Arizona Daily Star
November 13, 2010

Owners of the pecan groves south of Tucson are planning what could be the largest development by far in Sahuarita, a Tucson suburb that until the real estate market collapsed was one of the country's fastest-growing communities. Farmers Investment Co. officials unveiled preliminary plans this week for 16,500 to 19,000 homes on 6,000 acres straddling 12 miles of the Santa Cruz River. The centerpiece is a long-term plan to return water, through effluent, to the river environment. The company's presentation of full-color slides shows schools, parks, maps of neighborhood and community villages and tree-lined trails.

The Walden family that owns the groves has discussed the possibility of developing some or all of them for 30 years but this is the first time it offered detailed, if still unfinished, development plans. Farmers Investment officials say, however, that their project would have a lower overall housing density -barely three homes per acre -- than most other major developments in the area. Their project's amenities include a river park, open space, a public transit corridor, and still-undefined promises of help for schools. Farmers Investment officials don't expect any development for at least three to five years. They predict the project will take up to 40 years to finish and say they hope to keep as many of the profitable pecan orchards around as long as possible.

The plans for Sahuarita Farms drew a lot of public support and little criticism at three public meetings this week, which drew about 120 people total. But the proposal comes with questions that probably won't get answered until the company presents a more detailed plan to Sahuarita town officials early in 2011. Some questions are how much taxpayers and developers would pay for improvements such as a Santa Cruz River Greenway and for upgrades to the area's road network to support the development's traffic. "The reality is that any public investment will have to be scrutinized very carefully to make sure it is worth it," Sahuarita Town Manager Jim Stahle said Friday. "They have come to us and shown us stuff ... I didn't see anything that would be an absolute deal breaker for us. From what I've seen so far there are good things that could come from this and there may be areas where we disagree." Stahle added that "it's a bit of a shocker" to see a development plan for so many homes during the current construction-industry bust.

Brice Elliott, a five-year Sahuarita resident, told a gathering Tuesday at Sahuarita High School that he "can breathe a little sigh of relief" about the plans. He said he thought the developers would propose twice as many homes, and he was pleased to see a wide diversity of housing densities, which range from four-acre lots in rural areas to 20 homes per acre in urbanized areas. "Our big fear is that we will turn out to be 150,000 people here, which is a little scary," said Elliott. Sahuarita officials project the town of 25,000 people today will reach 31,000 by 2016 and 45,000 by 2025.

At the public meetings, Farmers Investment executives Dick and Nan Walden and their consultants said their project will center on enhancing the now-largely barren riverfront with trails, more vegetation, some flood control work and possibly putting treated sewage effluent in ponds alongside the river or maybe even in the river. One slide showed horseback riders crossing a river full of water, although planners said it's uncertain what the chances are for that. "The river is what makes this property special. It's what we are excited about," said Mark Reddie, a team leader for LVA Urban Design Studio, a Tempe-based planning firm working for Farmers Investment. "We have an opportunity here to build 12 to 20 miles of open space and trails continuously, accessible to everyone."

Another planner on the project, Frank Thomson, told the crowd that 15 years ago he would have predicted you would never see any water in the river. But in the last two or three years, various water providers and Farmers Investment have come up with a plan for a pipeline to extend Central Arizona Project water from its endpoint at Pima Mine Road to the Farmers Investment property for recharge. "There is a very likely possibility that recharged water using CAP can be part of this riverine environment," Thomson said. Farmers Investment is exploring a broad range of financing alternatives for the river project, including private contributions and local, state and federal government sources, the company said.

Open space includes about 2,100 acres, or 37 percent of the entire project, including 1,000 acres lining the river. A corridor for a future rail line also would be left open. About 1,000 acres in the project would be planned for commercial, office or other nonresidential development that would bring jobs, planners said. The project also would widen the river to up to 1,500 feet and beyond so it could hold more floodwater. There would be a 40-acre park, a 20- to 40-acre park and several neighborhood parks covering two to 10 acres. In all, the developers promise that no one in the development will live more than a quarter-mile from at least a pocket park of up to two acres. But the project would add to the traffic load on a variety of local roads, Sahuarita's Stahle said. That includes Pima Mine and Sahuarita roads and major north-south roads besides Interstate 19, said Stahle, adding, "Our general philosophy is that the development pays for its impact, but there undoubtedly may be some cost sharing with government."

kaneui
Nov 30, 2010, 7:50 PM
The UofA is planning a major downtown presence in the near future, including both student housing and academic programs:

Proposals could have UA students living Downtown
Downtown Tucsonan
December, 2010

Several development teams are vying to build student housing for the University of Arizona along the proposed streetcar track, near campus or Downtown. UA planning and construction officials met for the first time Nov. 19 with several of the seven teams that responded to UA requests for proposals for 300 to 1,200 beds for non-freshman students. “We wanted to clarify points they had made in their proposals,” project manager J.T. Fey said. UA may pick more than one team with which to enter into development agreements. Fey hopes to have agreements in place by January and have housing units ready by August 2012 or 2013. These will be private sector projects, likely involving no UA money. Where the UA development agreements come into play is with branding the buildings with the block A, having university residential advisers on the properties and referring students to these properties. “They want preferred referral of students,” Fey said. “It will seem like a university property (with the Block A).”

Fey said he could not disclose which of the seven proposals are still under consideration. Prominent downtown players include Jim Campbell’s Plaza Centro, Don Bourne’s La Placita Village, an empty lot at Broadway and Fifth Avenue owned by Ron and Patricia Schwabe at Peach Properties; and Scott Cummings, owner of O’Malley’s. Other proposals are from American Campus Communities in Austin, Texas; Campus Acquisitions in Chicago, and Clark Realty Capital/Duxbury Financial of Arlington, Va., and Duxbury, Mass.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/RoyPlaceBldgrenovation-1.jpg
Roy Place Building
(photo: Downtown Tucsonan)

UA says it’s ready to move in to Roy Place building
Downtown Tucsonan
December, 2010

The University of Arizona has signed a lease to occupy the former Downtown Walgreens Building at Stone Avenue and Pennington Street. The renamed Roy Place Building will primarily house an urban design studio run by the Drachman Institute, said Jan Cervelli, dean of the UA College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture. The building, with its recently restored 1929 Montgomery Ward façade, will also house two academic programs from the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, which will also have an outreach services: a masters of public administration program from the School of Government and Public Policy, and a new masters of geographic information science and technology program from the School of Geology and Development.

“Our students will be the most frequent presence,” Cervelli said about the urban design studio. She expects UA to be in place at Roy Place for the 2011 fall semester. Cervelli said all three programs will collaborate in scenario building for design and planning for the Tucson region. “These are not just random programs," she said. “There is a synergy in all three.” Cervelli said UA will lease the Pima County-owned Roy Place Building for $1 a year for five years with an option for five more years at market rate. Reid Spaulding, director of the county Facilities Management Department, could not confirm before deadline that a lease was completed. “The county has seen no plans. I have not seen a signed lease,” Spaulding said. Cervelli said the building will also have a UA BookStores presence and the UA Library will have terminals for public access to university holdings. “I cannot tell you how many people have pushed for the university to be Downtown,” Cervelli said. “It is an incubator for programs to see how they work Downtown and build from there.”

kaneui
Nov 30, 2010, 8:24 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/MercadoSanAgustin1.jpg
The east entrance of Mercado San Agustín along Avenida del Convento.

Worth the Wait
Mercado San Agustín opens a couple of years behind schedule, and tenants are itching to set up shop
Downtown Tucsonan
December, 2010

Better late than never. That’s the story for Mercado San Agustín, 100 S. Avenida del Convento at West Congress Street. The Spanish Colonial design mercado is expected to open Dec. 17, two years after the intended original opening date. The mercado will ramp up during the next several months, with the Market Hall opening first. This will feature La Estrella Bakery, San Agustín Trading Co., Taxco Silveria, Sonora Sno Cones, Dolce Pastello and Holly’s Little Farm. Taqueria El Pueblito will serve tacos through a window just inside the mercado entryway. You’ll have to wait a bit longer for the big ticket tenants. The property won’t be ready for Marita’s Restaurante Argentino until at least January, and a corner market by Peter Wilke won’t open until late spring or early summer, said Kira Dixon-Weinstein, the mercado’s executive director. “The concept is the public market concept,” Dixon-Weinstein said. “We fell in love with the grand mercados of Europe and Mexico. This is something you see in great cities in the world.”

Mercados always embody the root culture of their communities, and Dixon-Weinstein insists that Mercado San Agustín thoroughly reflects the Tucson culture. The tenants are local and the Spanish Colonial architecture speaks to the region. “We did architecture that is historically relevant,” Dixon-Weinstein said. “We care a lot about every detail. Every detail has been thought out.” That includes the z-cuts into the beams, which mirror haciendas in Mexico, and the mud-set (actually concrete-chinked) curved roof tiles. Wood columns rest upon rock bases, and the handmade, elaborate entry gate bears Spanish Colonial and Industrial Era highlights. The drinking fountain has an adult spout, a lower children’s spout and a third spout – just off the ground – for dogs.

Equal thought was given to the courtyard, where the central third is grass, flanked on one side with a concrete area and on the other by a raised platform laid with brick pavers that continue inside the Market Hall. “The grass was super important for us,” Dixon-Weinstein said. “The kids just love it. So many kids in Tucson don’t have any grass at home. They throw themselves around.” The courtyard has been open for events since mid-2009. The Market Hall contrasts with the rest of the mercado with a metal roof, and a series of continuous, whitewashed wood-and-glass doors running along both courtyard walls. “This is more a barn-type building,” she said. “You’ll notice the architecture changes here.” Construction on the 14,000-square foot, four-structure mercado started in early 2008 with the intent to open before the end of that year, but “the economy major league got in the way” and construction stopped in October 2008.

Casa Marita Restaurante Argentino has been waiting to open for two years. “The moment they give me the key, I’m moving in,” said Vicente Sanchez, who owns the restaurant with his wife, Marita Gomez. The couple have operated Casa Vicente Resaurante Español for six years. Casa Marita will evoke the pampas of Argentina. Specialty cuts of beef will be brought in from Argentina, supplemented with local grass-fed beef, Sanchez said. Sanchez and Gomez committed to Mercado San Agustín three years ago, when all intentions were to build a series of museums due south of the mercado, and a hotel and arena between their restaurants. “The idea is we’re committed to Downtown,” Sanchez said. “We thought it would be great, the streetcar, the hotel. But we’re still committed.”

Casa Marita will have street frontage on Congress Street as will an eclectic corner market, another venture by Peter Wilke, owner of Time Market, The B Line and Wilco. Dixon-Weinstein and her husband, Adam Weinstein, specifically built Mercado San Agustín to serve the Menlo Park Neighborhood, but also as a destination for all Tucsonans. “If a public market is successful, it serves all sectors of the community,” she said. “The West Side community is underserved. This is truly a neighborhood mercado and a destination.”

Along with all the shops and eateries, the Mercado San Agustín comes with a 1,200-square-foot shared-use commercial kitchen that is open to the public. Budding chefs can rent out a cooking station or baking station by the hour to give a restaurant concept a test run or, simply, to have a licensed kitchen to prepare large amounts of food for an event. For Mercado Executive Director Kira Dixon-Weinstein, the kitchen is the heart of the brand new Mercado San Agustín. “The commercial kitchen is the awesome part of this project,” she said. “It is the most important piece to be able to incubate a large number of businesses.” Mercado tenants have first dibs, but the day has 24 hours and Dixon-Weinstein said openings are available, especially middle in the night. “You can come in at 4 in the morning and cook something,” she said. The hourly rates range from $7 to $20 dollars between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., depending on how many hours per week one books, and from $5 to $15 dollars between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m. To rent kitchen time, call 461-1110, Ext. 8.

acatalanb
Dec 1, 2010, 12:49 AM
It's a good thing that the student housing projects are moving along. Of course, I'll believed it when they're finished. I can predict military housing and maybe an urban target or walmart store, a trader joe's etc... along the way.

Looks like the west side is also moving forward.

The Rosa Park Transit Center (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=15309) in downtown Detroit, Michigan - cost $22.5 million . You'd wished the Rio Nuevo waste of $230 million could've been $207.5 million instead. Ahhh .... what could have been!! :(

kaneui
Dec 1, 2010, 1:31 AM
Despite Rio Nuevo's mismanagement of $230M, the private sector has invested over $120M downtown over the past few years, and the synergy is becoming more visible, particularly on the east end:

120 million pillars
Millions of dollars of investment is the foundation for Downtown Tucson’s future

by Teya Vitu
Downtown Tucsonan
December, 2010

Travis Reese, Nicole Flowers and their 47 Scott restaurant and neighboring Scott & Co. café and bar are beacons for the new Downtown. They are among some 40 private sector pioneers who have committed more than $120 million to Downtown developments big and small in the past 2 1/2 years. These projects have created more than 900 Downtown jobs. “Nicole and I both are passionate about the idea of having a walkable urban experience,” Reese said. So, apparently, were dozens of other entrepreneurs who opened shop Downtown since mid-2008: Sacred Machine, MEB Management Services, Yoga Oasis and Maracana Indoor Sports Arena among them.

The Downtown Tucson Partnership in the fall surveyed entrepreneurs behind all the Downtown projects for the dollar value of their projects, employment statistics and comments about Downtown. “Always loved Downtown,” Mike Skwiat, owner of Knucklehead Alley, 63 E. Congress St., commented in survey. “It’s hip, got a great vibe. The whole motorcycle thing seemed to fit into the hip factor Downtown.” Luke Cusack, owner of A Steak in the Neighborhood, 135 E. Congress; Zen Rock, 121 E. Congress; and manager of Sapphire Lounge, 61 E. Congress; said in his survey response: “(I) saw it like an early downtown Austin or San Antonio. Attractive lease rates. Development Services (were)proactive.” Downtown Tucson Partnership CEO Michael Keith has heard many similar stories from the newly arrived Downtown entrepreneurs. “Small business have been investing their hopes and dreams despite everything that’s happening with the federal, state and local economy,” Keith said.

Reese and Flowers opened 47 Scott on May 8 and were consistently busy during the lunch and dinner hours throughout the traditionally slow summer months. “I think there’s been a lot of pent-up kinetic energy for Downtown,” Reese said. Reese credits Hotel Congress, Café Poca Cosa and Maynards Kitchen and Market for paving the way. He said 2nd Saturdays Downtown definitely set a template for the new Downtown. “There was a lot of curiosity why this was happening,” Reese said. “2nd Saturdays was a crucial player for everything. The Rialto Block was a huge draw for the Bodies exhibition.”

Private investment goes hand-in-hand with some $200 million in public sector investments started or completed in the past 30 months. This investment has brought a new Fourth Avenue Underpass and a new Martin Luther King Jr. Apartments among the seven public projects exceeding $10 million. In all, Downtown has seen more than $320 million in development during the depths of the worst economy since the Great Depression. And that development generated an estimated 3,000 or more construction jobs, based on standard national multipliers. “The pump is primed by public investment,” Keith said. “Now the private sector is driving the economic surge." 2009-2010 has seen warehouses pass into the public sector along Toole Avenue; a slew of small business moving into Congress Street shops; and a new Tucson Fire Department headquarters and the Museum of Contemporary Art moving into the old TFD HQ.

But the epicenter for Downtown reemergence in 2010 was Broadway, where the new UniSource Energy headquarters construction is up to the fourth floor on the way to nine stories. Just to the west, Providence Service Corp. in 2010 moved its corporate headquarters to 64 E. Broadway and bought the 44 E. Broadway hulk that has no Broadway or southern walls for $2.9 million. Providence CEO Fletcher McCusker hopes to have 44 E. Broadway enclosed with walls by the end of the year in the estimated $1.5 million in planned improvements. McCusker also spent $350,000 to remodel 64 E. Broadway and he has $200,000 budgeted for 50 E. Broadway. To the east of Providence, restaurateur Janos Wilder made his return to Downtown in October with DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails. Janos Wilder said the new Fourth Avenue underpass in 2009 was the most important thing to happen Downtown. “Downtown is a self-fulfilling prophecy,” Wilder noted in the survey. Another block to the east on Broadway, the Julian-Drew Building, its neighboring carriage house and the Tiburon Apartments to the rear all are fully occupied, owner Ross Rulney said. “Broadway is it,” Rulney said. “Broadway between Stone and Fifth Avenue will be so different, so fun, so cool, so busy. You can see it happening. There’s no doubt about it. There’s new retail, new housing. It’s going to be a huge effect.”

The past two years have also seen John Wesley Miller be able to fill the street level floor space at his John Wesley Miller (formerly McLellan) Building at 63 E. Congress with On a Roll, Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwiches, Knucklehead Alley and the Seawater Foundation. “I think the message needs to get out that it’s no longer is, 'it’s going to happen some time,’” said Miller, who built 90-energy efficient homes at Armory Park del Sol. “It’s happening right now and it has been happening for the last year or two.”A dozen privately-funded Downtown projects have topped $1 million in the past two years, headed by the $60 million UniSource headquarters, the $6.5 million Mercado San Agustin and the $8.5 million One North Fifth Apartments.The $16 million Depot Plaza Garage opened in summer and construction started on the $6.7 million Plaza Centro Garage.

More people are starting to come Downtown, too. From its inception, 2nd Saturdays Downtown has brought some 10,000 people to the monthly event. Tucson Meet Yourself this year tripled in size. The fall Tucson Open Studios Tours included a record 222 artists, far exceeding the prior year’s 167. And Meet Me at Maynards, launched in April 2009, has a couple hundred people running or walking through Downtown neighborhoods every Monday evening. This year also put Downtown on the major exhibition circuit with Bodies: The Exhibition and Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition, at the Rialto Building, which itself reopened this year after a $4.4 million overhaul. The year 2009 was no slouch either. Madden Media renovated and moved into the historic MacArthur Building. Maynards Kitchen and Market opened in The Historic Depot, The Scott Avenue streetscape got a sprucing up, the Cushing Street underpass opened and Interstate 10 widening was completed. The Santa Rita Hotel was demolished to make way for the new UniSource headquarters. The Carrillo Placita was built at St. Augustine Cathedral. Façade improvements came to The Screening Room, The Scott, 64 E. Broadway, and the Rialto Block. The commercial strip at One North Fifth was finished.

acatalanb
Dec 1, 2010, 2:35 AM
I live downtown since May this year. I haven't been to all of those new places downtown but there is definitely traffic by the 4th ave underpass thanks to the student housing. I predict it will be more busy when they add more housing downtown. Rialto is busy as usual during concerts. The few times I pass and visit Maynards in the day, it was pretty much empty. Janos seems to be busy ( peeking through the window restaurant ) at night. Tucson Meet Yourself definitely tripled in size.

However, one big surprise in traffic which has nothing to do with Rio Nuevo is the Tucson Children's Museum (12th St/6th Ave). That place is always busy during the day. More people than I expected! If there's a museum that's worth expanding and upgrading it's the Tucson Children's Museum.

Central and west of downtown is pretty much empty after work hours and weekends. Additional housing and the usual commercial 'amenities' will fix that. The La Placita Village seems to be near death even during work hours.

That Tucson Convention Center is the biggest failure of downtown Tucson. I heard it added $100 million lost in revenue since it was built (excluding the recent construction). It was a major destructor of the old barrios downtown. Looks like the development west of downtown is more like a 'kiss and makeup' for the formerly most dense neighborhood of Arizona, old downtown barrios (http://tucsoncitizen.com/three-sonorans/2010/11/22/tucson-history-de-la-calle-part-1-introduction/). The other major downtown destructor is Sam Hughes' involvement in Santa Cruz river and I-10 freeway by downtown ( could an underpass or overpass help?).

kaneui
Dec 2, 2010, 2:26 AM
Looks like the development west of downtown is more like a 'kiss and makeup' for the formerly most dense neighborhood of Arizona, old downtown barrios (http://tucsoncitizen.com/three-sonorans/2010/11/22/tucson-history-de-la-calle-part-1-introduction/). The other major downtown destructor is Sam Hughes' involvement in Santa Cruz river and I-10 freeway by downtown ( could an underpass or overpass help?).

Some good history there about the historic downtown. I was looking forward to the Mercado District bringing back at least some resemblance of the lost barrios, but it soon became obvious that the developers' $300-500/s.f. price range for new homes would basically constitute a luxury enclave--certainly nothing that most nearby residents could remotely afford. (And probably another reason that only a quarter of the lots have been purchased or built out.)

I know the Mercado San Agustin has been diligent in pursuing local businesses for their tenant roster, although the new restaurant and "neighborhood market" will be decidedly upscale. Hopefully, the Mission District across the street--which is starting off with low-income senior housing--will also offer moderately-priced housing for a more integrated neighborhood.

acatalanb
Dec 2, 2010, 12:28 PM
Some good history there about the historic downtown. I was looking forward to the Mercado District bringing back at least some resemblance of the lost barrios, but it soon became obvious that the developers' $300-500/s.f. price range for new homes would basically constitute a luxury enclave--certainly nothing that most nearby residents could remotely afford. (And probably another reason that only a quarter of the lots have been purchased or built out.)

I know the Mercado San Agustin has been diligent in pursuing local businesses for their tenant roster, although the new restaurant and "neighborhood market" will be decidedly upscale. Hopefully, the Mission District across the street--which is starting off with low-income senior housing--will also offer moderately-priced housing for a more integrated neighborhood.

The Mercado District looks nice but I'm never a fan of re-created structures. I think that downtown real estate has been wasted. I wished that area should need a more modern high rise mixed used building(s) and just call it something like 'Barrio Nuevo' ( New Barrio ). To me, downtowns should be predominantly filled with mixed used green self sustaining high rises with all the amenities needed within walking distance - sort of like a compressed version of the rest of a city . For example, you lived on the 6th floor and a guest lives on the top floor hotel, go down to the 2nd floor to buy groceries, go to the 3rd floor to the gym, across the street is an urban Target store and an In-n-out Burger (in another mixed used building), then around the corner is a museum (btw, the museum besides the Rialto seems to be a success ) and two blocks is movie theater...then 3 blocks away is a transportation hub.

I'd wished Walgreens would comback downtown. There's a handful restaurants that I'd wished would comeback .... Firehouse Pizza across Ronstadt Transit, this Mexican Restaurant owned by a family for decades close to Coach/Council St. ( they sell this huge $2 breakfast burrito ), Eegees and another Mexican Restaurant by Cafe Milano ... they all shut down due to high rents. Yep, there's something seriously wrong downtown if you can't keep a Walgreens.

acatalanb
Dec 2, 2010, 2:24 PM
I just sent email to one of the Tucson council members about putting up another branch of Pima Community College within downtown proper. I know that there's a branch by stone/speedway but it's out of the light rail route at this moment. I think PCC needs more space considering it's shortage of classrooms. Downtown Portland, Oregon has Portland State U. I would think the city can get funds from the federal government. As much as I want to have private investment downtown, you still can't beat the significant $$$ that the federal gov't can throw in ( wasted or not ). Besides having more student housing, military housing and a school ain't bad downtown ... can't say no to that as opposed to the hotel-convention.

Here's a nice urban community college (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=11192) in Hong Kong. It's nice to have something like this in downtown Tucson.

kaneui
Dec 2, 2010, 6:58 PM
If all else fails, the Rio Nuevo saga continues on--after more than 30 meetings since their appointment earlier this year, the new board is still unraveling the byzantine legal/financial mess left by the city, with only a small amount of the $1M in monthly funding from the state available for new downtown projects:

City needs Rio Nuevo settlement right away
Tucson risks state-shared funds being impounded unless it acts

by Rhonda Bodfield
Arizona Daily Star
December 2, 2010

Tucson is at risk of having its state shared revenues impounded unless it resolves some longstanding disputes with the new Rio Nuevo board over unpaid debts and as much as $30 million in property assets. Instead of simply stripping Rio Nuevo's funding - as many in Tucson have feared - the Legislature looks poised to weigh in on behalf of its appointed Rio Nuevo Board in its increasingly contentious dispute with the city over which entity owns title to which projects and how much each owes the other in revenues. And it has the hammer to do it - weighing the idea of withholding revenues that are a linchpin of a city budget that is already $51 million in the red next year. Meanwhile, state Sen. Frank Antenori, who has been spearheading the effort, has asked incoming Republican Attorney General Tom Horne to review the Rio Nuevo performance audit that came out in late October to see if there is any cause for a formal criminal investigation. City Manager Mike Letcher had no comment, other than noting the city attorney has been trying to negotiate a settlement to the ongoing disputes, and that he anticipates the City Council will discuss progress over the next few council meetings. "We're getting close to common ground," he said, declining to comment on the potential for a criminal investigation or monetary sanctions.

Antenori said he's gotten agreement from incoming Senate President Russell Pearce not to pull the plug on project funding altogether. Although Pearce was on a family vacation and could not be reached for comment, Antenori said while Pearce "is not thrilled or enthused about it, he's willing to cut me some slack and allow some latitude." "We've got to give it a chance to work, especially now that we have a new board that is seated and trying to refocus the issue down here. For the sake of economic development, it's important to salvage something and generate revenue." The audit found wide-ranging mismanagement, from incomplete financial records to spending on projects outside the project's mission. By spreading its resources too widely and too thinly and in the wrong places, the city 10 years later still doesn't have an economic catalyst to pump new resources into the historic core of Tucson, the audit found. Antenori said while the audit didn't single out people or find obvious criminal activity, it did indicate some of the expenses were outside the scope of state law. Since he subscribes to the theory that smoke indicates fire, he'd like some stronger assurance that there was no wrongdoing. "You can't squander $200 million of someone else's' money in tax dollars and say, 'Give me a pass on that because we didn't know what we were doing,'" Antenori said. His Republican seatmate, Rep. David Gowan, agreed, saying the audit was fine for what it was, but his constituents remain upset and dissatisfied. "That's taxpayers' money and we need to make sure it was spent properly," Gowan said.

Horne said while he is not intimately familiar with the details of the project and has obviously made no conclusion on criminality at this point, he has agreed to have a staff member at least look into it once he's seated in January because "the situation is serious on its face." Antenori did not have a specific dollar amount he wants to see the city pay to the district, but said he's facilitating a meeting between key district board members and House and Senate leadership after the legislative session gets under way. The audit, for example, notes the city overcharged for interest on its loan to the district, pegging the overpayment at more than $440,000. Meanwhile, the city holds title to the Depot Plaza parking garage, although it was the district that spent $14.5 million to build it. The district also purchased surface parking lots downtown, although title remains with the city. Aside from that, depending on how deep lawmakers want to go, there could be millions owed in other areas, including salaries for city staff paid out of district funds and money that was spent that the Legislature determines was improperly spent outside Rio Nuevo's purview.

District board chairperson Jodi Bain said she's optimistic that a resolution to the disputes can be finalized soon. Still, she said she isn't convinced the money will be protected. "There's always the threat looming of the (financing) being pulled," she said. Bain wouldn't discuss the terms of any settlement with the city, citing confidentiality. The city laid out its position early last month during a study session, running through a list of which properties the city would turn over or keep. City Attorney Mike Rankin noted, for example, that while the city has to repay the interest overpayment, the district owes the city $1.7 million on the balance of the loan. The city would be willing to forgive that debt in return for the district paying up on some projects it is withholding payment on.

Alan Willenbrock, the former Rio Nuevo treasurer from the new board who served from March until August, said he understands why some taxpayers might shrug and say they couldn't care less who actually retains ownership of the parcels. "What I'd tell the average citizen is that Rio Nuevo was designed as an economic development tool and that's how the money should be used," he said. The city has a wider focus, which is how resources ended up being spent on projects to placate neighborhoods. He said he thinks the threat of withholding state revenues is an important tool. "The city has been intransigent in that they have not exhibited any desire to settle this, so obviously something like this from the Legislature would make them hopefully be much more willing to settle quickly."

acatalanb
Dec 2, 2010, 10:29 PM
Well folks, I got a reply from one of the city councilmen regarding another Pima Community College branch within downtown proper. He upped the ante and might consider adding an extended university or even a new state university. Arizona's three main universities are pretty much packed, it makes sense to add another one. Hope it succeeds.

Locofresh55
Dec 3, 2010, 6:05 AM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/MercadoSanAgustin1.jpg
The east entrance of Mercado San Agustín along Avenida del Convento.

Worth the Wait
Mercado San Agustín opens a couple of years behind schedule, and tenants are itching to set up shop
Downtown Tucsonan
December, 2010

Better late than never. That’s the story for Mercado San Agustín, 100 S. Avenida del Convento at West Congress Street. The Spanish Colonial design mercado is expected to open Dec. 17, two years after the intended original opening date. The mercado will ramp up during the next several months, with the Market Hall opening first. This will feature La Estrella Bakery, San Agustín Trading Co., Taxco Silveria, Sonora Sno Cones, Dolce Pastello and Holly’s Little Farm. Taqueria El Pueblito will serve tacos through a window just inside the mercado entryway. You’ll have to wait a bit longer for the big ticket tenants. The property won’t be ready for Marita’s Restaurante Argentino until at least January, and a corner market by Peter Wilke won’t open until late spring or early summer, said Kira Dixon-Weinstein, the mercado’s executive director. “The concept is the public market concept,” Dixon-Weinstein said. “We fell in love with the grand mercados of Europe and Mexico. This is something you see in great cities in the world.”

Mercados always embody the root culture of their communities, and Dixon-Weinstein insists that Mercado San Agustín thoroughly reflects the Tucson culture. The tenants are local and the Spanish Colonial architecture speaks to the region. “We did architecture that is historically relevant,” Dixon-Weinstein said. “We care a lot about every detail. Every detail has been thought out.” That includes the z-cuts into the beams, which mirror haciendas in Mexico, and the mud-set (actually concrete-chinked) curved roof tiles. Wood columns rest upon rock bases, and the handmade, elaborate entry gate bears Spanish Colonial and Industrial Era highlights. The drinking fountain has an adult spout, a lower children’s spout and a third spout – just off the ground – for dogs.

Equal thought was given to the courtyard, where the central third is grass, flanked on one side with a concrete area and on the other by a raised platform laid with brick pavers that continue inside the Market Hall. “The grass was super important for us,” Dixon-Weinstein said. “The kids just love it. So many kids in Tucson don’t have any grass at home. They throw themselves around.” The courtyard has been open for events since mid-2009. The Market Hall contrasts with the rest of the mercado with a metal roof, and a series of continuous, whitewashed wood-and-glass doors running along both courtyard walls. “This is more a barn-type building,” she said. “You’ll notice the architecture changes here.” Construction on the 14,000-square foot, four-structure mercado started in early 2008 with the intent to open before the end of that year, but “the economy major league got in the way” and construction stopped in October 2008.

Casa Marita Restaurante Argentino has been waiting to open for two years. “The moment they give me the key, I’m moving in,” said Vicente Sanchez, who owns the restaurant with his wife, Marita Gomez. The couple have operated Casa Vicente Resaurante Español for six years. Casa Marita will evoke the pampas of Argentina. Specialty cuts of beef will be brought in from Argentina, supplemented with local grass-fed beef, Sanchez said. Sanchez and Gomez committed to Mercado San Agustín three years ago, when all intentions were to build a series of museums due south of the mercado, and a hotel and arena between their restaurants. “The idea is we’re committed to Downtown,” Sanchez said. “We thought it would be great, the streetcar, the hotel. But we’re still committed.”

Casa Marita will have street frontage on Congress Street as will an eclectic corner market, another venture by Peter Wilke, owner of Time Market, The B Line and Wilco. Dixon-Weinstein and her husband, Adam Weinstein, specifically built Mercado San Agustín to serve the Menlo Park Neighborhood, but also as a destination for all Tucsonans. “If a public market is successful, it serves all sectors of the community,” she said. “The West Side community is underserved. This is truly a neighborhood mercado and a destination.”

Along with all the shops and eateries, the Mercado San Agustín comes with a 1,200-square-foot shared-use commercial kitchen that is open to the public. Budding chefs can rent out a cooking station or baking station by the hour to give a restaurant concept a test run or, simply, to have a licensed kitchen to prepare large amounts of food for an event. For Mercado Executive Director Kira Dixon-Weinstein, the kitchen is the heart of the brand new Mercado San Agustín. “The commercial kitchen is the awesome part of this project,” she said. “It is the most important piece to be able to incubate a large number of businesses.” Mercado tenants have first dibs, but the day has 24 hours and Dixon-Weinstein said openings are available, especially middle in the night. “You can come in at 4 in the morning and cook something,” she said. The hourly rates range from $7 to $20 dollars between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., depending on how many hours per week one books, and from $5 to $15 dollars between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m. To rent kitchen time, call 461-1110, Ext. 8.

I've been rooting for this project ever since I moved to Tucson in 2006. I'm glad to see it didn't die the tragic rio nuevo death that many other projects did. Being Latino, I'm glad they cozied up the Spanish architecture and also made the market dog-friendly. I've walked my dogs around that region back when it was merely 2-4 houses that were built. If the Monier Brick Building can get built...then we really got something going here.

acatalanb
Dec 3, 2010, 3:02 PM
It certainly would be disappointing if the Mercado District were to be exclusive for the rich. Hopefully, it would be something like the restaurants around South Tucson where people would line up by the door to get in ... on a Sunday afternoon. I used to rent at Swan/Sunrise area (foothills), the amenities around are pretty much commercial such as a Safeway, CVS, Starbucks, Chinese Restaurant etc... I hoped the city of Tucson would replicate that foothills amenities downtown ( in an urban setting, of course). The city of Tucson should do away with making downtown into a tourist fantasy land as opposed to something more pragmatic.

Teacher_AZ_84
Dec 3, 2010, 4:08 PM
It certainly would be disappointing if the Mercado District were to be exclusive for the rich. Hopefully, it would be something like the restaurants around South Tucson where people would line up by the door to get in ... on a Sunday afternoon. I used to rent at Swan/Sunrise area (foothills), the amenities around are pretty much commercial such as a Safeway, CVS, Starbucks, Chinese Restaurant etc... I hoped the city of Tucson would replicate that foothills amenities downtown ( in an urban setting, of course). The city of Tucson should do away with making downtown into a tourist fantasy land as opposed to something more pragmatic.

I agree with what you're saying. But, what is so "tourist fantasy land" about downtown? I live near Speedway and Greasewood and wouldn't mind a Target... I know it's a chain, but there must be more services for the westside.

acatalanb
Dec 3, 2010, 4:43 PM
I agree with what you're saying. But, what is so "tourist fantasy land" about downtown? I live near Speedway and Greasewood and wouldn't mind a Target... I know it's a chain, but there must be more services for the westside.

The 'tourist fantasy land' refers to the attempt by previous Rio Nuevo planners to build the big ticket items aimed to bring in tourist such as the Convento, Rainbow Bridge, Hotel-Convention Center and even the Mercado District which I see as a potential utopian community for the rich . Instead I would prefer the city of Tucson concentrate fully on renovating downtown Tucson with the aim of adding practical everyday necessites such as an urban Target/Walmart store, Safeway or Trader Joe's, garden variety of restaurants including a Denny's, McDonalds, any high end restaurants etc.. , laundromat, more affordable housing, more mixed used retail/apt/condo/hotel/parking structures etc..

Those big ticket tourist attractions is what destroyed Rio Nuevo until the east end of downtown started building those student housing (brought hope). If the city wants to build another Rainbow Bridge or a Convento, it should be built,managed and financed by a non-profit organization. Downtown Tucson should be a compressed version of Tucson much like the old barrios that where destroyed. All the needed amenities should be within walking distance unlike the rest of Tucson where you have to drive to go to those amenities.

Teacher_AZ_84
Dec 3, 2010, 6:48 PM
The 'tourist fantasy land' refers to the attempt by previous Rio Nuevo planners to build the big ticket items aimed to bring in tourist such as the Convento, Rainbow Bridge, Hotel-Convention Center and even the Mercado District which I see as a potential utopian community for the rich . Instead I would prefer the city of Tucson concentrate fully on renovating downtown Tucson with the aim of adding practical everyday necessites such as an urban Target/Walmart store, Safeway or Trader Joe's, garden variety of restaurants including a Denny's, McDonalds, any high end restaurants etc.. , laundromat, more affordable housing, more mixed used retail/apt/condo/hotel/parking structures etc..

Those big ticket tourist attractions is what destroyed Rio Nuevo until the east end of downtown started building those student housing (brought hope). If the city wants to build another Rainbow Bridge or a Convento, it should be built,managed and financed by a non-profit organization. Downtown Tucson should be a compressed version of Tucson much like the old barrios that where destroyed. All the needed amenities should be within walking distance unlike the rest of Tucson where you have to drive to go to those amenities.

Ahhh, yes, I know what you mean. I would love a Trader Joe's! Tucson government sadly does not have the ability to think like that though.

acatalanb
Dec 3, 2010, 8:15 PM
Ahhh, yes, I know what you mean. I would love a Trader Joe's! Tucson government sadly does not have the ability to think like that though.

That Trader Joe's could be the 'economic pull' of downtown Tucson instead of the hotel-convention or the Rainbow Bridge. I'd move in a condo or apt in a minute if it has a Trader Joe's , Walmart/Target and a handful of restaurants in the first few floors!. Sadly, I agree with your opinion about Tucson government.

acatalanb
Dec 3, 2010, 9:48 PM
Well, I might want to take back what I said about Tucson government .. at least to some people in Tucson government. I got an email reply from one of the Tucson council members ( don't know if I should mention his name ) stating that they are working on putting up light rail connection with the base. So, I guess there is a chance that military housing will be built downtown! Damn, I'm powerful!!

The Dept. of Defense are loaded with cash even with all the forthcoming cuts. Let me see, sacrificing one or two older fighter jets should be enough to build one or two military high rises downtown along with laying out the light rail tracks between downtown and the bases. :notacrook:

kaneui
Dec 4, 2010, 7:31 PM
Although the UofA-Downtown's lease for the county' s historic Roy Place Building will only be $1 per year, the university will spend over $400,000 in tenant improvements to occupy the building by next fall:

UA to open downtown branch
Students could start taking classes there in Aug. if all goes well

by Becky Pallack
Arizona Daily Star
December 4, 2010

The University of Arizona is starting a new downtown branch by leasing a building from Pima County for $1 a year. The 33,733-square-foot building at North Stone Avenue and East Pennington Street will be known as the University of Arizona-Downtown. The Pima County Board of Supervisors is expected to consider the lease Tuesday.

The UA will spend about $400,000 to outfit the building for several large classrooms, several small seminar rooms and a bookstore, said Bob Smith, the UA's business affairs chief. The UA also agreed to pay the costs of utilities, operations and maintenance. Students in the public administration, geography and architecture programs could start taking classes there in August if renovations are on time. "This is an important, affordable opportunity for the UA to meet its program-growth needs, while increasing community engagement and contributing to city-center development and activation," Smith said in an e-mail.

Brint Milward, director of the UA's School of Government and Public Policy, said he wants to hold 12 evening classes per semester in the building. The school's two-year master's-degree program in public administration attracts about 100 students, many of whom already work in the downtown area. "We're very excited about this opportunity," Milward said. An $800,000 county bond project restored the building's 1928 Spanish Colonial Revival facade designed by architect Roy Place, who spent part of his career as the UA's chief architect. The building was originally a department store and was most recently a Walgreens pharmacy and offices for the county.

Did you know
The city's planned streetcar route will pass within one block of the UA-Downtown building. UA planners expect the streetcar to link UA-Downtown, proposed new student-housing projects and the main campus.

Anqrew
Dec 7, 2010, 1:04 AM
I wonder what is going to be built here?

Longtime Tucson movie-multiplex to close
Century Park 16, the movie theater on the east side of Interstate 10 near West Grant Road, is closing at the beginning of the year.
A group of investors recently purchased the 74,000-square-foot, 16-screen multiplex for about $2.77 million, says an affidavit filed in the Pima County Recorder’s Office.
The property’s future use isn’t yet clear, said Michael Wattis, one of the investors involved in the purchase. He did confirm it will no longer operate as a theater after the holidays.