PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Los Angeles - South Group; Elleven, Luma, Evo and Future Projects

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

twelveonelleven
Jul 27, 2006, 2:42 PM
I totally agree about Pro Homes.....We should tell them to "Go-Home".

That Brian Rowe sucks. I have never seen someone who so actively shows his dislike of the people he is supposed to be taking care of. I am making sure the developers are as aware as they can be at how badly they are doing.

katfam
Jul 27, 2006, 4:59 PM
I fully agree with that. I have needed my floors replaced for almost 5 months and i got pushed around form one person to another all saying they will get it fixed and all saying that the there was no previous record of this problem. I finally called and made a HUGE fit and ordered that it be taken care of. I would take "no" for an answer and I certainly didn't take "we work on it" for an answer. Seemed to have initially paid off cause they are coming out tomorrow to fix the floors. But then again I have heard that 3 TIMES!!!!!! And 3 TIMES I gave them authroization to come into the house and 3 TIMES I waited for them, but, of course, they say that I never gave them authorization and thats why it was never done, though how can they say that if they say they don't have any previous records of this problem needing to be fixed. What assholes!!!!!

Everone come join ELLEVEN'S MYSPACE GROUP http://groups.myspace.com/elleven

I totally agree about Pro Homes.....We should tell them to "Go-Home".

That Brian Rowe sucks. I have never seen someone who so actively shows his dislike of the people he is supposed to be taking care of. I am making sure the developers are as aware as they can be at how badly they are doing.

Quixote
Jul 27, 2006, 7:54 PM
Here is that project that logandankr informed us about a long time ago! Thanks to hcrz from SSC.

Here is a rendering of the Park Fifth Project

It will be located on 5th street between Olive and Hill. It will have three towers, one of them will be the tallest residential tower west of Chicago.
The project includes 900 units some of which will be what they call live-work bays.

http://i7.tinypic.com/214qkaw.jpg

Quixote
Jul 27, 2006, 9:42 PM
View from another angle. The third tower is the 'midsection' so really only two towers.

I guess is not a tower per se but rather the midsection that brings the two tall towers together

http://i7.tinypic.com/214umc5.jpg

citywatch
Jul 28, 2006, 5:46 AM
^ Thanks for posting those images here. I've long wanted to see the land under those proposed bldgs finally filled in. But I have to agree with those who think the current design may be too risky, or not helpful enough in creating more street life around the area north of Pershing Sq. However, the drawings do look like the proj still is at an early, tentative phase.

I wonder if there's a web site where those images came from, or a place where more info about the proj now is being publicized.

Vidiot
Jul 28, 2006, 5:26 PM
Here is that project that logandankr informed us about a long time ago! Thanks to hcrz from SSC.

oh helllllls yes. finally that nasty ass parking lot will be sent to its grave. :D

the only other thing Pershing Square needs is that smaller parking lot next to the red line station to be filled in with something. that open space is hideous. even a small green park would be better than that fenced-off gross piece of asphault.

katfam
Aug 1, 2006, 12:47 AM
Thought you should all be aware of how stupid ProHomes thinks we are.

I have a area of my floor that is cracking, splitting and pulling apart from each other. I have been trying to get them fixed for 5 months and have had Pro-Homes say "were on it" like 100 times. I even had the builder come out and take a look about 2/3 months ago. They very strongly agreed that those boards would need to be replaced as there is no repair they could do on them.

So...cut to this weekend. After giving Brian over at Pro-Homes no option but to get our floors fixed he had them come over and fix them this weekend. I get back from being out of town and how did PRO HOMES decide to fix the HUGE CRACKS inbetween my floor boards that runs about 20 feet long and affects about 5 feet in width of boards???? They merely put wood spackle in the cracks and the BEST part is that they didn't even do that right. Its full of missed spots and is flaking everywhere.

IT IS SO UNACCEPTABLE!!!! Who over at ProHomes was given authorization to make these decisions? They should be fired and taken out of any decision making in the future. We had ProHomes come out and they didn't even do anything about it. Luckily one of the builders was with him and he was so shocked that he is personally taking over this issue for us.

danny1100
Aug 1, 2006, 10:47 PM
Hey everyone,

Sending a reminder to join us all at this cool looking event.
I called in and it looks like there are only 90 cards left.
Also found out that they're giving away free massages & other goodies.

We're all gonna be there!

http://www.labutlercard.com/broadwaybar.bmp

CLICK HERE FOR INFO:

http://www.labutlercard.com

funhaus
Aug 2, 2006, 3:54 AM
CLICK HERE FOR INFO:

http://www.labutlercard.com

It's nice to let people know about new businesses and services, but please, please be careful not to slide into sales mode on these forums. I'm not saying that's your intention, but this is not a place for blatant advertising and promotion.

danny1100
Aug 2, 2006, 4:22 AM
This event looks like a nice opportunity for us to meet up and I was asked to re-post to remind everyone. If you're "not saying" that it is my intention to advertise then don't post a negative comment. This is the first time I've even seen your name on these forums, and you're in no position to be monitoring. Do you even live in downtown?

D -

It's nice to let people know about new businesses and services, but please, please be careful not to slide into sales mode on these forums. I'm not saying that's your intention, but this is not a place for blatant advertising and promotion.

4Bviper
Aug 2, 2006, 12:59 PM
This event looks like a nice opportunity for us to meet up and I was asked to re-post to remind everyone. If you're "not saying" that it is my intention to advertise then don't post a negative comment. This is the first time I've even seen your name on these forums, and you're in no position to be monitoring. Do you even live in downtown?

D -

Dude, you only have 1 more post than funhaus and considering half your posts on ssp has been your blatant spamming, I would be careful shooting your mouth off. If you even bothered to read this thread rather than just spamming it like the other threads, you would know that he is a resident of Elleven.

And talking about where people don't belong, your spamming within the Elleven Yahoo groups isn't really appreciated either.

Can the mods please ban this fool?

danny1100
Aug 2, 2006, 5:36 PM
In support of downtown I spread the word when an important event takes place, just like everyone else. Whether it's Civic Park meetings, Grand Ave Meetings, or a special Event, these groups are meant for communication.

Speaking of which, I've heard that people in Elleven are having issues with their flooring bending and cracking. At 1100, we are also fearing those same concerns as we're going through our walkthroughs. Looks like our developer selected some cheaper materials. Have you guys at elleven approached the developer? I doubt that they would replace the floors, but perhaps some form of compensation ..

funhaus
Aug 3, 2006, 5:23 PM
Floors have been an issue for many.

I think the recent heat wave may have contributed to some material issues (I haven't experienced that, but I've kept the temperature cool at all times). It does seem that most of the problems originated with installation (mismatching patterns, floorboards that don't meet smoothly, etc).

The rolling carts in our kitchen area initially damaged the wood floors; the bamboo is a little too soft for the (formerly) hard wheels (or much else really). However, the builder did give homeowners the option to have the floor replaced, which was great.

My advice is if you're doing your walkthroughs, don't close escrow until all items on your punch list are corrected. It will be harder to get them rectified later. Good luck with it.

danparker276
Aug 8, 2006, 7:11 PM
Did any of you have a problem with the sq feet? Did your measurements come out to what was advertised?

Happy Valley Freak
Aug 9, 2006, 9:35 PM
Wow! alot's goin on for LA!, witch is waaaaaay more than I can say for Salt Lake

danny1100
Aug 11, 2006, 5:31 AM
Wow! I drove by the 1100 Wilshire building at night time. They are running very bright lights on the 3 sides of the triangle. The lights start off far away from one another at the bottom of the structure (above the parking) and then progressively get closer and closer together towards the top. Looks amazing! I can't wait!

RAlossi
Aug 11, 2006, 5:48 AM
Speaking of the LAPD headquarters, what's going to happen to Parker Center? Is it going to be demolished, rehabbed? It's a site that has a lot of potential to link the Civic Center with Little Tokyo.

danny1100
Aug 12, 2006, 6:12 AM
I recall reading about the existing parker center being torn down and replaced with a new office building for the city.

Can you believe that! If they're capable and willing to spend the money and time to build offices, they should have just rebuilt the new headquarters at the old parker center site to begin with.

Driving by the civic park block, it is unfortunate to see such a marvelous piece of land go to waste (perhaps that's too harsh of a word). In other words, that block is meant for an open space to create a gateway into the historic core, and to provide a public plaza for la citizens to march, gather, share, experience and collaborate. Every great city's City Hall is countered by an enormous civic square. That block was huge and is going to be swallowed by a cumbersome, dangerous and massive beast.

True, the grand avenue park may fulfill the void of a civic square, but that piece of land was a mental, physical and communal doorway to a revitlized and thriving downtown. Any possibility that a bid may never come through?!!!

Speaking of the LAPD headquarters, what's going to happen to Parker Center? Is it going to be demolished, rehabbed? It's a site that has a lot of potential to link the Civic Center with Little Tokyo.

edluva
Aug 12, 2006, 11:13 AM
Wow! alot's goin on for LA!, witch is waaaaaay more than I can say for Salt Lake

woohoo!

seriously though, you know your city's sad when you've got 33 pages of thread about three mid-rise buildings, only one of which is actually built.

katfam
Aug 16, 2006, 5:01 PM
Tonight's our first Homeowner's meeting. Hope all of those on this forum that live in Elleven are planning on going. Starts at 7

citywatch
Aug 17, 2006, 2:14 AM
Yakumoto in the new thread for DTLA in the City Compilations forum (the old thread had reached its limit of 2000 posts) included this really good image of the South Gp's 3 condo bldgs & other proposed projs in South Pk:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/assrapist/Downtown/south_neighborhood.jpg

katfam
Aug 21, 2006, 9:00 PM
Hey all you ELLEVEN lovers, Downtown enthusiast and LA Believers out there we have an AMAZING Elleven resident who is running for Downtown LA Neighborhood Council and I wanted to give everybody the chance to support and vote for her. Below you will find a link to Chapman's coverpage and another link to a printable PDF voter enrollment form. I hope you all take the time to look thru it and cast your vote.

Here is the picture file for the coverpage for Chapman's candiancy:

http://www.btreeprods.com/ChapmanCover.jpg

Here is a printable PDF form for you to print out and vote:

http://www.btreeprods.com/Chapman.pdf (http://www.btreeprods.com/Chapman.pdf)

colemonkee
Aug 21, 2006, 10:16 PM
^ I saw that South Park now has a DLANC seat, which is great. With arguably the fastest growing population of residents of any downtown district, you guys need to have good representation. As long as her platform isn't "protect our views at all costs", she's got my vote.

blogdowntown
Aug 21, 2006, 10:47 PM
^ I saw that South Park now has a DLANC seat, which is great. With arguably the fastest growing population of residents of any downtown district, you guys need to have good representation. As long as her platform isn't "protect our views at all costs", she's got my vote.

DLANC has had seats for both South Park Resident and Business stakeholders since the beginning (four years ago or so). The current South Park Resident board member, Wendy Bruget, is now running in the Business seat in the upcoming election.

colemonkee
Aug 22, 2006, 2:20 AM
^ Ah. Thank you for clarifying. I'm fairly new to the DLANC world, even though I've been living downtown for a year. Now if I could only find my hat...

Ah! Here it is! :dunce:

funhaus
Aug 23, 2006, 1:19 AM
For those who may not have seen this yet, the South Group has posted their plans for the streetscaping around their developments in South Park.

http://www.elleven-south.com/streetscape/

Their master plan also includes The Kurtzman, which will go adjacent to the AEG parking structure at 11th and Hope (AEG is capping the south wall of that garage currently in anticipation of the new building eventually abutting it). But no details as to what that building may look like.

citywatch
Aug 23, 2006, 3:51 AM
Their master plan also includes The Kurtzman, which will go adjacent to the AEG parking structure at 11th and Hope
Thanks for that link. And that's the first time I've heard of a proj called the "Kurtzman."

funhaus
Aug 23, 2006, 5:06 AM
[/b]
Thanks for that link. And that's the first time I've heard of a proj called the "Kurtzman."

Sure, though I'd only heard about it once before, in a post by katfam way back in February. (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=1896573#post1896573)

Very much word of mouth at that time - no official visual representation or announcement of the project that I'm aware of (including now). Hope it does happen, though.

Talked with the South Sales Center yesterday and found out some great info:

They are building a 23 story condo tower across the street from Luma called the KURTZMAN. It will be half affordable housing and isn't part of the "SOUTH" community thought it will be across the street.

They are also in talks to build a 14 Story condo on the south side of LUMA and west of Evo. They have been trying to buy the building but the owners have been refusing to sale it. South said they want to build this tower to compliment Elleven and finish off the whole block.

South has also informed me that they are in search to bring a Upscale New York restaurant to Luma and have been in talks with multiple restaurants.

LosAngelesBeauty
Aug 23, 2006, 8:01 AM
I'm interested to know what the low-rise structure's fate will be next to Evo and the proposed pocket park. I was always under the assumption that the building there would be demolished for the new pocket park. Does South Group own that building?

colemonkee
Aug 23, 2006, 5:44 PM
^ If you check out the plan in the link funhaus posted, it shows the space currently occupied by the 3 story brick building as the pocket park and the space currently occupied by the Howard S Wright construction trailer as the driveway for Evo. Last time I walked down Hope street, that brick building was boarded up and looked to be prepped for demo. My guess is that it won't be torn down until they're finishing up construction on Luma and/or Evo.

On the subject of the Kurtzman, I'd say it's more than just "word of mouth". It shows up in the South Groups retail plan. You can also see a partial view of the pocket park and Evo driveway. Check it, from the pdf:

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5733/southretailplanrs9.jpg

citywatch
Aug 23, 2006, 6:07 PM
It will be half affordable housing.
I'd like to know the details of how much $$ flexibility exists in various new condo or apt projs, because I'd be less concerned about the ability of new projs in DT to sell out pretty quickly & easily if they were full of truly affordable units, or condos offered at maybe not much more than $300k for about 1,000 sf.

So at what point does a proposed bldg have so little profitability, or worse, start entering into the red, that a devlpr is forced to give up & walk away?

Vidiot
Sep 14, 2006, 8:55 AM
edit

Easy
Sep 14, 2006, 5:31 PM
nm

LosAngelesBeauty
Sep 14, 2006, 11:31 PM
haha very outdated! Where have you been Vidiot? ;)

funhaus
Sep 16, 2006, 9:31 PM
The Starbucks sign went up this morning. Here's a picture - corner of Elleven with Grand Lofts beyond.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/11jp/starbucks.jpg

BrandonJXN
Sep 17, 2006, 1:16 AM
Never in a million years would I ever be happy to see a Starbucks.

badtz_00
Sep 18, 2006, 4:45 AM
i like it.

colemonkee
Sep 18, 2006, 4:43 PM
funhaus, I think that's the best photo I've ever seen of a Starbucks sign.

Never in a million years would I ever be happy to see a Starbucks.
I'm sure if some delusional psychopath (who sounds suspiciously like Dennis Hopper circa 1994) planted a bomb in your stomach and informed you that the only way to prevent it from exploding within the next 20 minutes was to drink exactly six Banana Coconut Frappuccinos (blended, w/ whipped cream), you'd be thrilled to see a Starbucks. ;)

Seriously, though, that Starbucks can only be seen as a good thing: it will serve a growing community with a service they currently lacking with a product that's widely received as "quality", and it will generate business and sales taxes where none were generated before. It's a win-win for everyone, except employees of Coffee Bean.

LosAngelesBeauty
Sep 18, 2006, 5:31 PM
^ Starbucks is fine. It's not great and it's not horrible. It's no longer a sign of an affluent area (as they're pretty much anywhere they can fit their little retail spaces into). But it is a place where people can congregate and it is pretty conducive to lengthy conversations, which will create the kind of crowds outside that we need MUCH MORE of South Park.

The lack of retail spaces in South Park is VERY apparent right now, and I can't really think of anything BETTER than a Starbucks (or whatever coffeehouse) for that area right now. It's desperately needed.

jessie_sanchez
Sep 18, 2006, 5:32 PM
Notice the reflection of a crane in the upper left hand sign.

Great picture!

BrandonJXN
Sep 18, 2006, 7:11 PM
I'm sure if some delusional psychopath (who sounds suspiciously like Dennis Hopper circa 1994) planted a bomb in your stomach and informed you that the only way to prevent it from exploding within the next 20 minutes was to drink exactly six Banana Coconut Frappuccinos (blended, w/ whipped cream), you'd be thrilled to see a Starbucks. ;)

To die by the hands of a psychopath who sounds suspiciously like Dennis Hopper would be the ultimate luxury.

LongBeachUrbanist
Sep 18, 2006, 7:26 PM
For around five years, I've dreamed of opening a cafe/bookstore/newsstand in South Park. I think the perfect location would be across Hope Street from Grand Hope Park. Unfortunately, I think my window of opportunity has passed. I can't imagine how high retail rents are nowadays. Besides, there is a Coffee Bean planned for 9th/Hope, less than a block away from my dream location.

DJM19
Sep 18, 2006, 8:42 PM
There are a lot of starbucks downtown. Maybe not in that area right there, but a lot. (by my standards)

danparker276
Sep 18, 2006, 8:46 PM
damn, there really isn't a lot to talk about now.

citywatch
Sep 19, 2006, 12:45 AM
^ I was hoping some of the new SSPers who started posting here mainly because they had moved into Elleven were going to give us a regular rundown on their impressions of their new bldg & new hood. But so far, the only SSPer who lives in DT & who's been the most active, reliable contributor to this board (esp with photo updates & eyewitness info) is Colemonkee.

Damien
Sep 19, 2006, 2:37 PM
For around five years, I've dreamed of opening a cafe/bookstore/newsstand in South Park. I think the perfect location would be across Hope Street from Grand Hope Park. Unfortunately, I think my window of opportunity has passed. I can't imagine how high retail rents are nowadays.

I'm sure not many people here would care, but this is why rich and poor alike have their qualms about redevelopment. Nobody wants every community to be a Starbucks-Gap-Abercrombie&Fitch-Olive Garden experience. But with the cost of what it takes to bring these projects online apparently the only companies that can afford to move in are multi-nationals with offices and manufacturing plants outside of the region paying below living wages for their local employees.

Lots here think that's just the way it is and its the only way things get built, but I don't accept that, and think we need some government-mandated price regulations if we ever expect local businesses to flourish in these new or revived economic zones.

...and don't get me on the additional tax dollars from these increased rents not going into the general fund.

danparker276
Sep 19, 2006, 5:02 PM
I guess what we want to see is a lot of people walking around at night in South Park.
Met Lofts, Packard Lofts and Eleven have all recently opened but the streets are still quiet right? Or at least at night. I think things will start to pick up during Clipper season.

katfam
Sep 19, 2006, 5:20 PM
I recently noticed a few weeks ago that all the light posts along 11th street to the east and west of Elleven are now lite. The street looks so much more friendly as my unit in Elleven faces 11th, it always looked dangerous and dark. But now its as bright as day (god i need to get blinds).

In terms of people walking at night I have to say I am sort of shocked at the amount of people who walk their dogs. Seems there is somebody every 30 min walking their dog around the area and of course duing any staples events its busy.

katfam
Sep 26, 2006, 1:01 AM
September 25, 2006

Dear Residents and Staff of Elleven,

In our culture it is common to pick up the phone or write a letter to
complain about people or situations that annoy us. However, when
things are going well or even just "OK" it has become the exception
that anyone takes the time to say something nice. I would like to take
a moment to thank Patricia Rybachek (and her team) for all her hard
work and devotion to our building. I was one of the first people to
move into the building while all the upper floors, 8 and above,
were still under construction. So we are all enjoying the increase in
property values from so many new buildings around us but how often
does something like what we are experiencing happen? It is not often a
new residence is created – let alone a new neighborhood. Patricia,
like the rest of us here is a pioneer – taking a chance on something
new to make our home (her work) the best it can be.

Since day one, yes I was here day one, Patricia was on top of
everything. I mean, as much as one person could be starting the
policies and procedures for a new building with the small staff
she was given. I am sure that one of the appeals Patricia had when
taking on this monstrous task is the challenge it presented her. The
South Group promised to provide a premium services building to use
when all faithfully plunked down those deposits two years ago. This I
am sure added further incentive and challenge for Patricia and her
team. To deal with:

• a city district not used to the requests from the wave of demanding
homeowners hitting
the area (i.e. dealing with the Grand Ave Club issues)

• hiring/training caring and thoughtful staff who are interested in
the safety and welfare
of the building and not just their jobs (thank you for everything George)

• assessing the multitude of potential problems and try to head them
off before they become a nuisance or problem for us

• staying on top of the builders in finishing the common areas with
the least disruption to us

• getting the hot water back on

• keeping us informed about current issues

• dealing with the new board and getting them on task

• installation of policies and procedures to protect our home and
investment

Just to name a few. Honestly her job seems almost insurmountable and
exhausting. Being a new development there are bound to be issues that
occasionally get overlooked and there will be more in the future.
There is no way in which I could ever expect there to be a new
building or old one for that matter without a single issue to
overcome. We are all learning from this experience, including Patricia
and her team. Over time I am sure the frequency of these annoyances
will be reduced. I am confident, extremely confident, in Patricia and
her team to anticipate future issues, deal with the current ones, and
do it all efficiently, effectively and pleasantly.

Patricia, I just wanted to say thank you. I cheer to your courage and
strength in tackling this endeavor so effectively. Thank you so much
for everything that you have done and continue to do.

funhaus
Sep 26, 2006, 7:05 AM
Right on, katfam! Recently there have been some grumblings by a squeaky wheel on the Yahoo groups ellevensouth page, and I whole-heartedly agree with your sentiments.

Patricia has been helpful and professional to the core, it's about time some kind words were said in her favor.

teresa and melissa
Sep 27, 2006, 5:13 PM
there is bound to be some mix ups, confusion, and some dropped balls when beginning to manage a property like Elleven, but I'd say our staff has done pretty damn well in taking care of our needs; and at least for us, the maintenance guys have gone above and beyond their duties to help us out.

just a few complaints:
- i think George should be out on the street during Grand Avenue club nights to take bullets for our building
- i also think George and/or Marissa should strap all of our packages to their backs when UPS arrives and deliver them directly to our doors with a smile on their face
- I'd also appreciate if Patricia could live in her office and not be allowed outside a 10 foot radius of the building unless she's on Elleven business.

that's all..

katfam
Sep 27, 2006, 5:21 PM
http://images.skyscraperpage.com/images/smilies/cheers.gif
:cheers: LMAO...You both ROCK!!!! What's sad is that we all know who thinks that's what they should really be doing.

there is bound to be some mix ups, confusion, and some dropped balls when beginning to manage a property like Elleven, but I'd say our staff has done pretty damn well in taking care of our needs; and at least for us, the maintenance guys have gone above and beyond their duties to help us out.

just a few complaints:
- i think George should be out on the street during Grand Avenue club nights to take bullets for our building
- i also think George and/or Marissa should strap all of our packages to their backs when UPS arrives and deliver them directly to our doors with a smile on their face
- I'd also appreciate if Patricia could live in her office and not be allowed outside a 10 foot radius of the building unless she's on Elleven business.

that's all..

katfam
Sep 28, 2006, 12:04 AM
Jim and Patricia:

I attended the meeting today and read the statement that I shared
with you and provided the 12 emails that I received from various
homeowners concerning the Grand Avenue Night Club to the Office of
Zoning Administration. The public hearing today essentially served
so that Zoning Administrator can collect information concerning the
Grand Avenue Night Club. A judgment has not been ruled yet, and
while our case was very strong initially; during the rebuttal period
the Grand Avenue Night club did present a lot of compelling evidence
as well on how they are now in compliance. It seems likely that
conditions / restrictions (adding additional lighting in the
adjacent parking lots, increasing security, etc. etc) will be placed
on the club. (I am told that it is very hard for the City to shut
down a business like this as the City does not want to be sued.)

The Office of Zoning Administrator's office suggested that it would
be VERY beneficial for the homeowners of Elleven and Grand Lofts to
send a Fax ASAP (no later than Friday) citing specific and
additional information about how the Grand Avenue Night Club has
impacted our quality of life and safety. The concerned residents of
South Park homeowners should be as specific as possible as it will
help to add to the depth of our case. They should also be aware that
their comments will be made a part of the public record.

The Homeowners should fax their letters to:

FAX TO: City of Los Angeles Department of City Planning,
Office of Zoning Administration

ATTN: Daniel Green

FAX #: 213-978-1334

Phone: 213-972-1318

RE: Case No: DIR 2006-7318 (RV)

Please forward this information ASAP to the homeowners.

danparker276
Sep 28, 2006, 12:28 AM
Are you for or against this? Or just want to make sure their security is ok.
When is this club going to open up?

katfam
Sep 28, 2006, 12:38 AM
This club has been open for years. It is a high crime and gang related club that has gun shootings, drag races and fights every week. This club is less than a block away from South and the Grand Ave Lofts.

Are you for or against this? Or just want to make sure their security is ok.
When is this club going to open up?

citywatch
Sep 28, 2006, 12:52 AM
I am told that it is very hard for the City to shut
down a business like this as the City does not want to be sued.)
I guess it's safe to assume that some residents in the Elleven bldg will welcome start of work on the proposed Olympic & City House condo towers, because one of them would occupy the space where the Grand Ave club (or old Myron's ballroom) is located. Although I guess some of those same residents wouldn't be too skeptical if they believe there's a greater chance that the club, even with all the complaints it's getting from ppl in the hood, still will be operating a yr from today rather than the bldg it's in being demolished & replaced with construction cranes.

RAlossi
Sep 28, 2006, 1:25 AM
This club has been open for years. It is a high crime and gang related club that has gun shootings, drag races and fights every week. This club is less than a block away from South and the Grand Ave Lofts.

Be sure that those are the reasons the Elleven homeowners are fighting against, and not simply the fact that there is a club there and that no one in Elleven wants it there. Make them be better neighbors, in other words, and don't just try to shut them down simply because it might be perceived that property values will rise if some other type of business were there.

They were there first before there were any residents in the area... so make them comply with existing ordinances and zoning.

Wright Concept
Sep 28, 2006, 1:35 AM
^ If they don't become good neighbors, then it becomes vertical Valley NIMBYism.

katfam
Sep 28, 2006, 6:00 PM
Nobody complained about that club till the drag races and shootings were an apparent daily occurence. I don't care about a club being next to Elleven and like most others we moved downtown to be next to life in the city. But what I DO care about is a club that does nothing to keep control of their patrons. It isn't about noise violations or stupid public drunkenness. Its about people having shoot outs right in front of our building (I watch them from my window). People doing drag racing at the our entrance, people fighting in the streets. The city has fined them and given them numerous citations and they still do nothing. If they don't want to follow the rules then they don't deserve to be open.

Be sure that those are the reasons the Elleven homeowners are fighting against, and not simply the fact that there is a club there and that no one in Elleven wants it there. Make them be better neighbors, in other words, and don't just try to shut them down simply because it might be perceived that property values will rise if some other type of business were there.

They were there first before there were any residents in the area... so make them comply with existing ordinances and zoning.

WesTheAngelino
Sep 28, 2006, 6:27 PM
Clubs are one thing, criminals another.

I am the first to pull out the race card as I know situations like this usually boil down to racism. However, the complaints of the folks in Elleven sound pretty legitamate. Why should they endure unlawful drunken/drugged out bullshit if they're working hard and playing by the rules? I'll bet this has little to do with race, just like all the brown and black people north of SC who routinely had to deal with drunker white kids pissing/puking on their lawns and causing noise thursday-saturday (and apparently wednesday and monday are party nights too...go fig)

SunMonTueWedThuFriSa
Sep 28, 2006, 7:21 PM
I'm familiar with this club and not aware of any kind of violenece. I wouldn't doubt that the new residents of the South Group projects are, just in general, uncomfortable around latinos. See sig.

katfam
Sep 28, 2006, 8:07 PM
I'm sorry to say thats BULL SHIT!!!

You say you are aware? Do you live next to the club? Do you go to the club? Do you watch the shootings? The Drag Races? Do you go the the public meetings about the club? Do you talk to the policie officers who patrol that area?

I really hate people like you...keeping racism alive and flurishing. I, nor anyone else have said anything bad about the latinos, blacks, whoever in South Park.

It doesn't matter one bit what color they are, THEY SHOOT EACH OTHER ON OUR SIDEWALKS and the club refesus to take action. They either have to control the club or shut it down.

I'm familiar with this club and not aware of any kind of violenece. I wouldn't doubt that the new residents of the South Group projects are, just in general, uncomfortable around latinos. See sig.

WesTheAngelino
Sep 28, 2006, 9:25 PM
Hey Noob,

As irrational as my fellow white folk are around anyone who doesnt look like them, from what I'm reading here I don't think that's the case. Even yuppies in Elleven aren't institutionalized enough to simply create shootings and drag races as figments of thier suburban imagination

danparker276
Sep 28, 2006, 10:01 PM
I know this is impossible, but you could get around 30+ people from Eleven (and some of the other buildings) to go to the bar everyday, buy drinks and drive out the current crowd. I'm sure the owner would rather cater to people living in the new lofts who will pay triple for their drinks.

Maybe just talk to the owner convince them to cater to a different crowd and they could make a lot more money.

SunMonTueWedThuFriSa
Sep 28, 2006, 10:03 PM
I know this is impossible, but you could get around 30+ people from Eleven (and some of the other buildings) to go to the bar everyday, buy drinks and drive out the current crowd. I'm sure the owner would rather cater to people living in the new lofts who will pay triple for their drinks.

Perhaps. Worked for the conquistadors.

yakumoto
Sep 28, 2006, 10:15 PM
If thats the case that these shootings and such are going on, its nice to know that there is a legitimate reason to deal with it now that some upscale residents have moved into the neighborhood.

They should just make everyone happy by moving the club south of downtown, as long as they don't start building condos there....

katfam
Sep 28, 2006, 10:57 PM
Yes that seems unjust, but the area was unpopulated. Nobody was around at 2AM for the gang wars going on outside the Grand Ave Club..... Example: You can't expect illegal Rave Partys to go on in "abandoned warehouses" when they start redeveloping the area or even that warehouse itself, but are the new developments BAD because it shuts down those rave parties... NO!!! Why does everybody think this is about race, class, inequallity? Just because its a high Latino/Black club doesn't make it off limits to discuss the problems they are having. They aren't exempt from laws just becuase some of you crazy people think its RACISTS for "picking on latinos and blacks", when color has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. Dude look past their skin and look at the facts...people are SHOOTING GUNS in front of aparmtments and condos now and that can't happen. ARE YOU ON THERE SIDE? What do you propose to do? This is about everybody's safety including those at that club. Not everybody in there are gangmembers, low lifes, druggies, black, latino...I see a lot of normal everyday type people going to that club, they deserve to be protected and if the manager of that club is SKEEZY enough to do nothing then somebody has to step in and take charge.... don't blame us for being those people.

If thats the case that these shootings and such are going on, its nice to know that there is a legitimate reason to deal with it now that some upscale residents have moved into the neighborhood.

They should just make everyone happy by moving the club south of downtown, as long as they don't start building condos there....

katfam
Sep 28, 2006, 11:00 PM
That would be the managers choosing but I don't think the club profile has to change, they deserve to be there just as much as we do, its the way he doesn't take action to fix the problems he has been ticketed and cited for. And like in any LAW ABIDING LAND there are rules. We all have to follow the same rules and if that club can't follow them they don't deserve to be open.

Maybe just talk to the owner convince them to cater to a different crowd and they could make a lot more money.

northbay
Sep 28, 2006, 11:11 PM
geez, everyone needs to take a deep breath. i wanna hear about downtown housing developments.

is there racism in this country still? yes, (i know u white folks have a hard time believing that, but its true, ive experienced it MANY times myself). but if there were shootings outside my house, katfam, ur right, i dont care what color u are, u need to get the f__k out. but fact is, things like this only become a issue when it affects "the rest of us" or the (rapidly disappearing) middle class. as long as shootings stay far away from us, we dont care. u can try and push them away from the area yes, but until the real issues of so many ppl below the poverty line, lack of health insurance etc. are dealt with, ppl will continue to get desperate. and when ppl get desperate, they turn to either of two things: crime and/or drugs.

ive seen alot of ppl go down that road. and yes, unfortunately, society played a major role. we ALL are responsible (and obviously, ALL affected) - so we ALL can be part of the solution.

SC_00_05
Sep 29, 2006, 12:46 AM
Yes that seems unjust, but the area was unpopulated. Nobody was around at 2AM for the gang wars going on outside the Grand Ave Club..... Example: You can't expect illegal Rave Partys to go on in "abandoned warehouses" when they start redeveloping the area or even that warehouse itself, but are the new developments BAD because it shuts down those rave parties... NO!!! Why does everybody think this is about race, class, inequallity? Just because its a high Latino/Black club doesn't make it off limits to discuss the problems they are having. They aren't exempt from laws just becuase some of you crazy people think its RACISTS for "picking on latinos and blacks", when color has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. Dude look past their skin and look at the facts...people are SHOOTING GUNS in front of aparmtments and condos now and that can't happen. ARE YOU ON THERE SIDE? What do you propose to do? This is about everybody's safety including those at that club. Not everybody in there are gangmembers, low lifes, druggies, black, latino...I see a lot of normal everyday type people going to that club, they deserve to be protected and if the manager of that club is SKEEZY enough to do nothing then somebody has to step in and take charge.... don't blame us for being those people.
The people that blame you are called bleeding heart liberals and everything is "whitey's" fault with them. These are the same people who think bums have a right to shit on your front doorstep (as long as it's not their front doorstep or lawn, that is).

POLA
Sep 29, 2006, 1:39 AM
Perhaps. Worked for the conquistadors.

no low blows.

yakumoto
Sep 29, 2006, 3:17 AM

I don't think you quite get the point. (Northbay does and I'm sort of paraphrasing him) I'm not saying whats going on isn't wrong.

What is happening at that club is most likely happening all over the entire city, it's just never dealt with or cared about until the upper classes move into the neighborhood.

Skid row has been a tragedy for decades, yet it only begins to be discussed when the once downtown begins redevelopment?

WesTheAngelino
Sep 29, 2006, 5:15 PM
I think yakumoto brings up a great point.

Why are people like the new residents of downtown only interested in these conditions when they directly affect them? Where is their outrage at the conditions that decent people (the vast majority) in the hood must face every day? The answer is the same as the one for why the US is dead last in per capita foreign aid: we are a morally bankrupt country and just don't care.

katfam
Sep 29, 2006, 5:40 PM
Not everyone that lives in Elleven started caring only when they moved downthere. You are both making HUGE generalities with no basis on any facts for our building. There are police officers in the building that have worked hard in downtown for fixing problems, there are people who are on downtown boards that help the homeless, I have supported and advocated for help of the poor and in need of those areas for years.

This is just one problem out of many that we are slowly dealing with. And don't even start with being dead last in foreign aid...we give a lot as a country and you can thank the loss of morals to the widespread actions of people like you who bitch about everything before backing your facts up. All you care about is attacking. Know our building before you start calling us horrible rich folk that have come to take over downtown and push the poor and needy away.

Why don't you learn what South Group has done for downtown. They have donated time and money to local shelters like the woman's shelter and the YWCA. We have held numerous fund raisers in our building to help downtown.

What have you done? What did you do to care before downtown started going thru its redevelopment. Did you feed the homeless like me? Did you visit the poor and sick in hospitals like me? Did you clean up the streets and paint grafitti like me? Did you donate and support shelters, free clinics, programs to get people off the streets like me?

You all need to stop attacking, its really shallow, pathetic, unsupported rants! Don't assume you know whats really going on just because we posted one campaign up on this forum.

Why are people like the new residents of downtown only interested in these conditions when they directly affect them? Where is their outrage at the conditions that decent people (the vast majority) in the hood must face every day? The answer is the same as the one for why the US is dead last in per capita foreign aid: we are a morally bankrupt country and just don't care.

danparker276
Sep 29, 2006, 5:47 PM

The answer is the same as the one for why the US is dead last in per capita foreign aid: we are a morally bankrupt country and just don't care.

Huh? We give double the amount of money than any other country and basically finance the UN. Most other countries don't have to spend a lot of money on their military, space program, scientific research ...

You can twist the numbers to however much you want to hate this country.

http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Debt/USAid.asp#ForeignAidNumbersinChartsandGraphs

WesTheAngelino
Sep 29, 2006, 7:01 PM
Huh? We give double the amount of money than any other country and basically finance the UN. Most other countries don't have to spend a lot of money on their military, space program, scientific research ...

You can twist the numbers to however much you want to hate this country.

http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Debt/USAid.asp#ForeignAidNumbersinChartsandGraphs

I'm not talking about raw numbers, I'm talking about per capita giving which we are terrible at.

And no I do not participate in such activities as feeding the homeless. That's nothing but white guilt alleviation

katfam
Sep 29, 2006, 7:14 PM
Ok, I think its best we all calm down. We aren't are here to talk politics as this is a site about us loving buildings, development, skycraper's, lol. We all have our own ideas of what is right and wrong, but lets not forget what binds us here in this forum.

Now let's all make nice...it's FRIDAY :banana: :cheers: :banana:

I'm not talking about raw numbers, I'm talking about per capita giving which we are terrible at.

And no I do not participate in such activities as feeding the homeless. That's nothing but white guilt alleviation

SC_00_05
Sep 29, 2006, 7:17 PM

Apparently, something you know all too well given that you're the "first to pull the race card" as you state.

Edit to add: Posted before I saw Katfam's request. I'm finished.

WesTheAngelino
Sep 29, 2006, 7:39 PM
My use of the race card has nothing to do with self hatred or white guilt. Trust me, a trailer park kid from Mississippi with drugged out parents has little to be guilty about.

I merely recognize the facts about how people act in regards to race in this country, just recognizing reality

katfam
Sep 29, 2006, 7:52 PM
OK...you said your peace now lets move on.....

My use of the race card has nothing to do with self hatred or white guilt. Trust me, a trailer park kid from Mississippi with drugged out parents has little to be guilty about.

I merely recognize the facts about how people act in regards to race in this country, just recognizing reality

katfam
Sep 29, 2006, 8:08 PM
Another South Party

{sorry guys can't make the link work...trying to fix it}

Until then I came across this site today....

http://la.condodomain.com/user/view_project_details.php?new_condo_Evo_-_South&projectid=1031

LosAngelesSportsFan
Sep 30, 2006, 2:15 AM
Not everyone that lives in Elleven started caring only when they moved downthere. You are both making HUGE generalities with no basis on any facts for our building. There are police officers in the building that have worked hard in downtown for fixing problems, there are people who are on downtown boards that help the homeless, I have supported and advocated for help of the poor and in need of those areas for years.

This is just one problem out of many that we are slowly dealing with. And don't even start with being dead last in foreign aid...we give a lot as a country and you can thank the loss of morals to the widespread actions of people like you who bitch about everything before backing your facts up. All you care about is attacking. Know our building before you start calling us horrible rich folk that have come to take over downtown and push the poor and needy away.

Why don't you learn what South Group has done for downtown. They have donated time and money to local shelters like the woman's shelter and the YWCA. We have held numerous fund raisers in our building to help downtown.

What have you done? What did you do to care before downtown started going thru its redevelopment. Did you feed the homeless like me? Did you visit the poor and sick in hospitals like me? Did you clean up the streets and paint grafitti like me? Did you donate and support shelters, free clinics, programs to get people off the streets like me?

You all need to stop attacking, its really shallow, pathetic, unsupported rants! Don't assume you know whats really going on just because we posted one campaign up on this forum.

Fantastic Post! Get those losers out of that club, and lets really clean up DT LA. i hate it when people automatically pull out the race card for every damn thing. if people are shooting people, who gives a shit what color they are?

edit: i posted after the katfan post as well. im done too. Here's a nugget. i cant reveal my source, but apparently the Rodmark Towers will now be three towers and one of them will be a upscale hotel. I will let you know more when i hear more.

bjornson
Sep 30, 2006, 2:25 AM
I do like your sources whoever they are! Will "they" be announcing this soon? Before Citywatch chymes in, I am bit skeptical to this. However, I'm extremely delighted to hear some news about them.

Perhaps a Shangri-La, InterContinental, St. Regis, or maybe even a MANDARIN ORIENTAL.

colemonkee
Sep 30, 2006, 2:33 AM
LASF, do they still plan to build the 60 and 50 story towers, but add a third, or are they planning on decreasing the height of the original two towers to build the third?

LosAngelesSportsFan
Sep 30, 2006, 3:11 AM
i believe the plan is still 60 50 and a new one. more later on as i get more info.

LosAngelesBeauty
Sep 30, 2006, 1:14 PM

What's so wrong with that? lol :haha:

LosAngelesBeauty
Sep 30, 2006, 1:17 PM
i believe the plan is still 60 50 and a new one. more later on as i get more info.

OoOOoooH nice! :tup:

citywatch
Oct 2, 2006, 6:39 AM
Before Citywatch chymes in, I am bit skeptical to this.Hey, I don't even recall seeing your screen name in this forum before & yet you already know me to a "T"! :D So, yea, I'll admit that the proposals for the Olympic & City House condo towers always have seemed like my being told I've won the lotto.

But if the Grand Ave club, which those 2 bldgs would replace, is as much of a nuisance in the hood as some ppl make it out to be, then a few of the residents in the Elleven may also think the proposed proj is too good to be true.

And, LASF, one way for us to know just how reliable your inside source is, is if they know that Rodmark changed its name a few months ago to Titan.

bjornson
Oct 2, 2006, 7:11 AM
Oh hahah I've been in here for a few months.

RBR
Oct 2, 2006, 11:17 AM

Maybe a design change? hope so anyway.

katfam
Oct 6, 2006, 6:44 PM
Date of Event: Saturday, October 7

Time of Event: Gates Open at 2:00 p.m.

Location of Event: Main Street & 1st Street (Downtown LA)

Event Information: Line Up includes Beck, Queens of the Stone Age, Basement Jaxx, Peeping Tom, Redd Kross, Blackalicious, Of Montreal, Nortec Collective, The Like, The Elected, Oh No! Oh My!, The Blood Arm, The Howling Bells, Wired All Wrong, Everybody Else. DJ sets by VHS or Beta, Steve Aoki/Kid Millionaire, Shepard Fairey, Travis Keller.

Grand Avenue Festival and Taste of Downtown

The 3rd Annual Grand Avenue Festival and Taste of Downtown will be held onSaturday, October 7 from 11 am to 5 pm. Downtown's leading cultural and arts organizations are joining together to present FREE activities and performances for the entire family.

Grand Avenue from Temple to 4th Streetsand First Street between Hope and Olive Streets will be closed for the Taste of Downtown, Gallery Row's Art Fair, drum circle, and Fine Craft and Design Sale.

Check out the free musical, theatrical and dance performances at the Music Center, Walt Disney Concert Hall, The Colburn School, Central Library, REDCAT, and Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels. Other participants include Grand Performances,Japanese American National Museum, and the Museum of Contemporary Art to mention just a few.

Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Fenigerfrom Border Grill and Ciudad restaurants will be cooking up a storm on the Grand Performances Stage presented by City Beat on Grand Avenue near MOCA at 1:45 pm. Mojitos, Chile Cheese Tamales, and Pollo Ciudad are on the menu. You can buy their delicious dishes at the Ciudad booth at the Taste of Downtown LA onGrand Avenue near First Street.

The 70-piece LA-based daKAH Hip Hop Orchestra will perform at the Walt Disney Concert Hall at 12:15 pm, 1:30 pm and 2:45 pm. Fusing classical, jazz and hip hop, you'll hear orchestral music as you've never heard it before. Free tickets are distributed on a first-come, first served basis approximately 1 hour before each performance. Go to the LA Phil ticket booth at First and Grand.

KINKY will perform live on the Grand Performances Stage presented by City Beat from 2:30 pm - 4 pm. ThisMonterey, Mexico quintet puts its own spin on the dance-till-you-drop groove with techno, house and funk rock.

katfam
Oct 23, 2006, 5:44 PM
Starbucks is set to open in a week! The salon still hasn't started construction, but I did what they are naming it, Salon Elleven.

colemonkee
Oct 23, 2006, 5:52 PM
^ It looked ready for business when I walked by yesterday. They really put that together quickly.

katfam
Oct 27, 2006, 5:42 PM
The Starbucks at Elleven offically opened today. :banana: Went this morning for my Soy Chai Latte (so LA i know) and it was packed. Seems everbody was venturing out to see the amazing addition to South Park. :cheers: :banana:

They said their hours are still being worked out but they plan on being open on Monday thru Saturday. 5:30AM to around 7ish (even they couldn't tell me their specific hours)

ksep
Oct 28, 2006, 12:15 AM
that must be some kinda record. just a couple weeks ago, it seems, that retail space was an empty mess.

6th&12thDweller
Nov 6, 2006, 11:10 PM
Found this at the LA Downtown News....does this mean we're finally getting rid of the Grand Avenue Club ?

http://ladowntownnews.com/articles/2006/11/06/news/news_briefs/at02.txt

danparker276
Nov 6, 2006, 11:53 PM
Microsoft launched the new virtual 3d maps. It's like google's virtual world, but you can see the buildings, and it's very recent. Its shows the new construction in dowtown. I'd say it's from 4-6 months ago.
You have to download a lot of stuff, but it works on your web browser.
http://local.live.com/

colemonkee
Nov 6, 2006, 11:54 PM
^ ^ Potentially, yes. If all goes well - and there are a lot of moving parts that have to fall into place for all to go well - they'll start construction on these bad boys some time next year, and the Grand Ave. nightclub will be razed.

citywatch
Nov 7, 2006, 4:10 AM
Found this at the LA Downtown News....does this mean we're finally getting rid of the Grand Avenue Club ?Glad you posted that link because the early edition of the LADN web site didn't have anything about the Titan escrow.

The bad thing about inflated land prices like $30 milliion for only a little more than an acre of land is that it forces the new owner to pass along that cost to the buyers. IOW, even before one shovel of dirt is turned, the devlpr now has to tack on $30 million to the price of all the condos in the proj. That makes the eventual cost of each condo even pricier to begin with, meaning the proj becomes tougher & riskier to finance & build.

Titan Closes Escrow on Site for Downtown Towers

One of Downtown's potentially biggest projects is taking a major step forward. On Monday, Nov. 6, developer Titan Organization will announce that it has closed escrow on a 58,000-square-foot plot at the southeast corner of Grand Avenue and Olympic Boulevard. It will become the site of the City House and The Olympic, a pair of residential high-rises that will feature hundreds of condominiums. Titan paid $30 million to acquire the property from the Myron Family Trust, which has owned the land since 1947, said Titan President Gary Warfel. The land currently holds a parking lot and the Grand Avenue nightclub; the club will be torn down to make way for the towers, Warfel said. "It was hard," Warfel said of the acquisition. "The biggest issue is really trying to work with all the disciplines and the city agencies to gain entitlements. The CRA has been extremely cooperative." Warfel said Titan plans to break ground on the project in late summer 2007. More details on the development, which is being designed by Robertson Partners, will be announced in the coming weeks. Phillip Sample, Michael Shustak and Chris Caras of Grubb & Ellis represented Titan in the transaction.

luckyeight
Nov 28, 2006, 9:21 AM
Tom Cody, principal with South Group, says his company’s forthcoming twin-tower Jardin development in downtown’s South Park neighborhood is on schedule to break ground first quarter 2007.

“We haven’t scaled back units,” said Cody, adding that his company’s other developments are moving forward as planned. “We see no compelling reason to alter our course.”

:banana: :banana: ::yes: :banana: :banana: