PDA

View Full Version : CHICAGO | Legacy at Millennium Park | 819 FT / 250 M | 73 FLOORS | 2010

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Alliance
Apr 9, 2007, 2:26 PM
Pics Taken Thursday April 5th. For full size/higher rez photos, drop me a pm.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/delta2094/Legacy0.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/delta2094/Legacy1.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/delta2094/Legacy2.jpg

Sad to say, not much work yet...

BorisMolotov
Apr 9, 2007, 2:30 PM
Jeez, the site looks like a mess with all those bricks laying around!

dayznfuz
Apr 13, 2007, 3:56 PM
This project's moving along quite nicely. I ended up buying here, and was just in the sales office this past weekend. They're quoting 80% sales at this point. Looking at their remaining inventory, what's mostly left are the lowest floors with borderline views and the highest and most expensive units. The design meetings will be starting within a couple months for finishes, upgrades, etc. Looks like everything's on track for 2009 finish.

honte
Apr 13, 2007, 4:22 PM
^ Good, solid numbers for being 2 years out. Congratulations on your purchase.

I wonder, as a buyer, if you might be able obtain any about info about Mesa's next project here? There's supposedly something big in the works; with sales figures this good, I imagine they are already pretty far along planning it.

trvlr70
Apr 13, 2007, 4:56 PM
This project's moving along quite nicely. I ended up buying here, and was just in the sales office this past weekend. They're quoting 80% sales at this point. Looking at their remaining inventory, what's mostly left are the lowest floors with borderline views and the highest and most expensive units. The design meetings will be starting within a couple months for finishes, upgrades, etc. Looks like everything's on track for 2009 finish.

Congratulations! This will be a spectacular and classy addition to Chicago.

Chitown
Apr 13, 2007, 5:18 PM
Lucky! I'm sure you'll enjoy it; I love this project.

Alliance
Apr 13, 2007, 8:09 PM
^ Good, solid numbers for being 2 years out. Congratulations on your purchase.

I wonder, as a buyer, if you might be able obtain any about info about Mesa's next project here? There's supposedly something big in the works; with sales figures this good, I imagine they are already pretty far along planning it.

But geez, its almost not suprising. They had HUGE advertisements up all aound the block...on Wabash around the corners. The site is right on the El and right over MP. Awesome location and this thing has great views, there is nothing real tall nearby.

If i was buying, I'd be hard-pressed not to buy here.

dayznfuz
Apr 13, 2007, 9:03 PM
But geez, its almost not suprising. They had HUGE advertisements up all aound the block...on Wabash around the corners. The site is right on the El and right over MP. Awesome location and this thing has great views, there is nothing real tall nearby.

If i was buying, I'd be hard-pressed not to buy here.

I looked at a LOT of places including Trump, Waterview, Aqua, Museum Park, etc. This place had the best combination of location, views, finishes, and bang for your buck out of all of them.

Waterview, in my opinion, was a close second, but was a bit more expensive per square foot, and it's location was a little too far west for my taste. If anybody's looking to buy (or is just curious), I can give a detailed low-down on the places I checked out -- pros and cons -- from a buyer's standpoint, rather than the architectural standpoint that is usually discussed on this board.

As for the next MESA project, the sales person mentioned a project in passing a while back, but couldn't give any details at the time. I'll ask next time I'm there.

Kngkyle
Apr 13, 2007, 9:24 PM
I looked at a LOT of places including Trump, Waterview, Aqua, Museum Park, etc. This place had the best combination of location, views, finishes, and bang for your buck out of all of them.

Waterview, in my opinion, was a close second, but was a bit more expensive per square foot, and it's location was a little too far west for my taste. If anybody's looking to buy (or is just curious), I can give a detailed low-down on the places I checked out -- pros and cons -- from a buyer's standpoint, rather than the architectural standpoint that is usually discussed on this board.

As for the next MESA project, the sales person mentioned a project in passing a while back, but couldn't give any details at the time. I'll ask next time I'm there.

I am interested to hear your opinion from a buyers standpoint. Not that I am looking to purchase a unit, I just think it is interesting to hear what it is like from the other perspective. Maybe you can post this in the Chicago Rundown thread so this doesn't go off topic. I am sure there are others that would like to hear it as well.

honte
Apr 14, 2007, 12:37 AM

Great, thanks a lot. Now that you're "on the team," perhaps you have more leverage. :tup:

nergie
Apr 14, 2007, 12:33 PM

Dayznfuz,

I am looking to move downtown. I am currently applying to UC and Kellogg for part-time MBA. I appreciate any information you may be able to supply

jcchii
Apr 14, 2007, 12:54 PM
should be a nice skyline presence on the park, and I am glad the wabash facade will be maintained

dayznfuz
Apr 15, 2007, 12:01 AM
Well here's a rundown. I'll be most detailed about the Legacy to try to keep myself (vaguely) on thread topic. I'll be more brief about the other places. Just FYI, I only looked at fairly high end places. Other than the Legacy, my info on the other places is about 6 mo old (excepting Museum Park). In order of my preference...

1. Legacy
Pro -
I'd say tops for location out of all the places I looked. You're on top of an El stop, a couple blocks from the Metra, 1/2 block from Millenium Park. A pleasant walk to Mag mile shopping and restaurant row -- without the crowds (yet). Theater district is a short walk and the Art Institute is across the street. A Whole Foods is supposedly going to go in across the street. You've got everything you need close by.
Finishes. Standard finished is pretty darn nice. Prefinished hardwood floors. Bosch, Miele, and Subzero appliances. Granite/Marble everywhere. 9 foot ceilings with floor to ceiling windows. It's right up there with Trump and Waterview.
Bang for the Buck. At between $500-700/sqft (with parking), it's better priced than most of its competition with similar finishes.
Views. From just about every unit, you'll have both lake views and city views (one bdrm units only have city views). No other development can say that, particularly at the price points that you can get if you go with a lower floor unit -- and you still have nice views (My personal unit is in the low 20's).
University Club. It's attached via a skywalk. So if you're a member, you have access to all those amenities. If you're not, you still have access to the squash courts.
Edited to add: Forgot a major Pro. The views towards the lake are preserved. All buildings to the east have contractual agreements forbidding building above their current roof lines. Since a good part of what your paying for is the view, this goes a long way to protecting your purchase. This actually sealed the deal for me.

Cons -
As of right now, certain luxury upgrades are not available such as radiant floor heating and shower body jets (Waterview allows both). Both of which I really feel should be available in a place of this caliber, but that's me.
They will NOT give you a design budget if you walk in without a realtor. Instead, they just keep the money. Just about every other place will give you some kind of discount/design budget if you walk in off the street.
No associated hotel. Not a big deal if you're a University Club member, but this does mean you won't have room service or maid services on site. Nor will there be all those spa amenities hotels would have (massages, etc). Just to clarify, the place does have a workout area, indoor pool, and rooftop sky gardens. I'm talking about the hotel services.

2. Waterview - I really liked this place.
Pros -
Finishes. Tops out of all the places. This place was stunning.
Hotel. It's the Shangri-La. 'Nuff said. Plus condo owners have their own private entrances and amenities apart from the hotel.
Very modern. The place is wired with all sorts of gadgets.
Was willing to give me a $25k-ish design allowance since I walked in without a realtor (though frankly, I have no idea what you would even upgrade in the place. Standards were that good).
Cons -
Location. About 2 blocks too far west on Whacker. The loop will probably eventually revitalize that way, but right now, location is less than ideal. The unit I was looking at was 60 floor or so and had stunning views.
Pricey. Unit I was looking at was $800/sqft.

3. Aqua. I was pretty meh with this place. Other than the price (which was the lowest for the east loop area I was looking) and architecture, not a whole lot else going for it in my opinion. You're in the Lakeshore East development, which I'm not a fan of. Views pretty much blow unless your on a high floor with north facing views -- south and west are blocked by high rises and East views are limited to the LSE development's park with the lake blocked by the rest of the development. Amenities I believe (I could be mistaken) were shared with the hotel. I know the outdoor pool and park are definitely shared.

4. Museum Park (One Museum Park). Was just in the design center this past weekend out of sheer curiosity. I liked it. Too far south in my opinion for what I'm looking for, but a nice area. Standard finishes were subpar (pre-engineered floors, 3/4" granite, cultured marble in 2nd bath, etc), but can be upgraded very nicely. Price wasn't bad, about $400-500/sqft. They've got a deal going right now where they are throwing in a parking space for free.

5. Trump. In short, this place wasn't even a consideration. Location is good. Not quite as good as Legacy (for me), but you're closer to food and shopping, but farther from park. The Trump name will always be a good selling point. That's about it for the good. This place is out of control overpriced at over $1000/sqft (I think they're up over $1100/sqft now). Finishes were, surprisingly, underwhelming for the price. You basically had two choices of finishes -- a dark version and a light version... That's it. And the choice selections were a bit weird. For example, cabinets were these overpriced Italian imported ultra modern things, but one of the granite choices was Uba Tuba -- one of the cheapest granites you can buy. This place really is like the Trump man himself. All bluster, not a whole lot of substance.

6. Park Monroe. This is a condo conversion going on at the Mid-Continental Plaza building (55 east monroe). Didn't like it. They were wanting $600+/sqft for a condo conversion (lake views), which I felt was overpriced. Finishes were not as good as Legacy despite being a bit pricier. Except for corner units, you only had lake views or city views, so not much of a best-of-both-worlds possibility here.

7. Mandarin Oriental. This place was a disaster. Granted, I walked in very early in marketing, but man, what a disaster. Views were bad all around, unless you're very high, and then you may have some city views (Aon to the south, Aqua and it's planned sister supertall to the east). Condo's started at around $800/sqft. If you wanted hotel amenities, you were a bit more expensive, but LOWER in the building, so your views were worse. Better views = no hotel amenities (ie room services, maid service). Finishes were nice with ten foot ceilings, but location is just awful considering what else is available in the area.

340 on the Park - didn't spend too much time here because it was delivering earlier than I wanted. I do know someone who bought, and he's a regular at the Four Seasons, so I'm guessing the finishes are very nice. ;)

Well that's it. Sorry for the length, but I looked at a lot of places :P

Dan in Chicago
Apr 15, 2007, 6:28 AM
^ An absolutely fascinating rundown -- that's a perspective we don't often see here, and full of compelling detail. Was the advanced delivery date the only reason you didn't look at Chicago Spire?

Rocket1
Apr 15, 2007, 3:14 PM
Great analysis, dayznfuz.

I visited the showrooms of many of the places you describe, and came to basically the same conclusions.

mkdr2
Apr 15, 2007, 3:57 PM
Dayznfuz hit a home run with his synopsis. The standard finishes, location and price are what sold us on the building.

nergie
Apr 15, 2007, 4:23 PM
Well here's a rundown. I'll be most detailed about the Legacy to try to keep myself (vaguely) on thread topic. I'll be more brief about the other places. Just FYI, I only looked at fairly high end places. Other than the Legacy, my info on the other places is about 6 mo old (excepting Museum Park). In order of my preference...

1. Legacy
Pro -
I'd say tops for location out of all the places I looked. You're on top of an El stop, a couple blocks from the Metra, 1/2 block from Millenium Park. A pleasant walk to Mag mile shopping and restaurant row -- without the crowds (yet). Theater district is a short walk and the Art Institute is across the street. A Whole Foods is supposedly going to go in across the street. You've got everything you need close by.
Finishes. Standard finished is pretty darn nice. Prefinished hardwood floors. Bosch, Miele, and Subzero appliances. Granite/Marble everywhere. 9 foot ceilings with floor to ceiling windows. It's right up there with Trump and Waterview.
Bang for the Buck. At between $500-700/sqft (with parking), it's better priced than most of its competition with similar finishes.
Views. From just about every unit, you'll have both lake views and city views (one bdrm units only have city views). No other development can say that, particularly at the price points that you can get if you go with a lower floor unit -- and you still have nice views (My personal unit is in the low 20's).
University Club. It's attached via a skywalk. So if you're a member, you have access to all those amenities. If you're not, you still have access to the squash courts.

Cons -
As of right now, certain luxury upgrades are not available such as radiant floor heating and shower body jets (Waterview allows both). Both of which I really feel should be available in a place of this caliber, but that's me.
They will NOT give you a design budget if you walk in without a realtor. Instead, they just keep the money. Just about every other place will give you some kind of discount/design budget if you walk in off the street.
No associated hotel. Not a big deal if you're a University Club member, but this does mean you won't have room service or maid services on site. Nor will there be all those spa amenities hotels would have (massages, etc). Just to clarify, the place does have a workout area, indoor pool, and rooftop sky gardens. I'm talking about the hotel services.

2. Waterview - I really liked this place.
Pros -
Finishes. Tops out of all the places. This place was stunning.
Hotel. It's the Shangri-La. 'Nuff said. Plus condo owners have their own private entrances and amenities apart from the hotel.
Very modern. The place is wired with all sorts of gadgets.
Was willing to give me a $25k-ish design allowance since I walked in without a realtor (though frankly, I have no idea what you would even upgrade in the place. Standards were that good).
Cons -
Location. About 2 blocks too far west on Whacker. The loop will probably eventually revitalize that way, but right now, location is less than ideal. The unit I was looking at was 60 floor or so and had stunning views.
Pricey. Unit I was looking at was $800/sqft.

3. Aqua. I was pretty meh with this place. Other than the price (which was the lowest for the east loop area I was looking) and architecture, not a whole lot else going for it in my opinion. You're in the Lakeshore East development, which I'm not a fan of. Views pretty much blow unless your on a high floor with north facing views -- south and west are blocked by high rises and East views are limited to the LSE development's park with the lake blocked by the rest of the development. Amenities I believe (I could be mistaken) were shared with the hotel. I know the outdoor pool and park are definitely shared.

4. Museum Park (One Museum Park). Was just in the design center this past weekend out of sheer curiosity. I liked it. Too far south in my opinion for what I'm looking for, but a nice area. Standard finishes were subpar (pre-engineered floors, 3/4" granite, cultured marble in 2nd bath, etc), but can be upgraded very nicely. Price wasn't bad, about $400-500/sqft. They've got a deal going right now where they are throwing in a parking space for free.

5. Trump. In short, this place wasn't even a consideration. Location is good. Not quite as good as Legacy (for me), but you're closer to food and shopping, but farther from park. The Trump name will always be a good selling point. That's about it for the good. This place is out of control overpriced at over $1000/sqft (I think they're up over $1100/sqft now). Finishes were, surprisingly, underwhelming for the price. You basically had two choices of finishes -- a dark version and a light version... That's it. And the choice selections were a bit weird. For example, cabinets were these overpriced Italian imported ultra modern things, but one of the granite choices was Uba Tuba -- one of the cheapest granites you can buy. This place really is like the Trump man himself. All bluster, not a whole lot of substance.

6. Park Monroe. This is a condo conversion going on at the Mid-Continental Plaza building (55 east monroe). Didn't like it. They were wanting $600+/sqft for a condo conversion (lake views), which I felt was overpriced. Finishes were not as good as Legacy despite being a bit pricier. Except for corner units, you only had lake views or city views, so not much of a best-of-both-worlds possibility here.

7. Mandarin Oriental. This place was a disaster. Granted, I walked in very early in marketing, but man, what a disaster. Views were bad all around, unless you're very high, and then you may have some city views (Aon to the south, Aqua and it's planned sister supertall to the east). Condo's started at around $800/sqft. If you wanted hotel amenities, you were a bit more expensive, but LOWER in the building, so your views were worse. Better views = no hotel amenities (ie room services, maid service). Finishes were nice with ten foot ceilings, but location is just awful considering what else is available in the area.

340 on the Park - didn't spend too much time here because it was delivering earlier than I wanted. I do know someone who bought, and he's a regular at the Four Seasons, so I'm guessing the finishes are very nice. ;)

Well that's it. Sorry for the length, but I looked at a lot of places :P

Thanks for the information. I am in Dubai until May, so I am trying to get information put together for what I hope is not a long search. Thanks again

dayznfuz
Apr 17, 2007, 7:04 PM
^ An absolutely fascinating rundown -- that's a perspective we don't often see here, and full of compelling detail. Was the advanced delivery date the only reason you didn't look at Chicago Spire?

No. I did most of my major hunting last summer, and Chicago spire wasn't even taking pre-orders at that point. The only information I had was they were thinking $1000+/sqft -- which pretty much made it a non contender. My other issue with the place is the location. It's pretty far east. Other than Navy Pier, there's not that much in that direction. I also looked at the Parkview, and came to a similar conclusion with that place -- edited to mean location, not price. It was on the order of $400-500/sqft with parking.

TowerGuy37
Apr 17, 2007, 10:07 PM
awesome rundown!!!!!!!!!! i totally agree with your assessment!. Of all the condos on the market that are available the most visually stunning finishes available that are standard are at Waterview, 30 west oak and the palmolive building! talk about three totally different types of architecture!!!!

BVictor1
Apr 17, 2007, 10:29 PM
The base of the tower crane is in place. It's yellow.

honte
Apr 17, 2007, 10:47 PM
^ So soon? Amazing. The power of this tower is going to really hit home once that crane is up and in your face.

BVictor1
Apr 18, 2007, 4:31 PM
^ So soon? Amazing. The power of this tower is going to really hit home once that crane is up and in your face.

Yeah, well you-know-who is building it. I'm wondering if the crane which is being dismantled at The Columbian is just being trucked down the street to the Legacy?

kayosthery
Apr 18, 2007, 6:46 PM
Yeah, well you-know-who is building it. I'm wondering if the crane which is being dismantled at The Columbian is just being trucked down the street to the Legacy?

:babyeat:

Alliance
Apr 18, 2007, 7:54 PM
The base of the tower crane is in place. It's yellow.

Ugh...I HATE yellow cranes. This project is so low class.

:rolleyes:

hi123
Apr 19, 2007, 6:33 AM
Any pics?

zerokarma
Apr 19, 2007, 6:00 PM
Good update

ddavidson
Apr 27, 2007, 12:29 AM
I purchased a unit above the 50th floor with a north / notheast view. I have been second guessing myself not selecting a unit with a south / southeast view? Any thoughts on the views?

Steely Dan
Apr 27, 2007, 12:32 AM
I purchased a unit above the 50th floor with a north / notheast view. I have been second guessing myself not selecting a unit with a south / southeast view? Any thoughts on the views?

i'd rather have a north facing unit, there's less sun/solar heat gain issues on that side of a building. as for the views, shit man, you can't lose with this building, you'll have a fantastic view!

Nowhereman1280
Apr 27, 2007, 12:39 AM

You'll get to see Chicago Spire! That's a Plus! I would also rather have a north facing unit if not just because the view of the city is better!

ddavidson
Apr 27, 2007, 1:02 AM
Thanks, we were thinking that the view of north Michigan Ave. would be great, as well as the pier for fire works? I have a few friends that selected the southern views with Grant Park, Soldier Field...and started to second guess my purchase.

I am an iron worker in the city can't believe the quantity of buildings that are going up. We are in a boom the likes I have never seen. I thought the early 80's were crazy. Steely, you do a great job, love the Chicago boom rundown page!

pip
Apr 27, 2007, 1:05 AM
^I would rather have a north facing view too so you can see much of the skyline.

Via Chicago
Apr 27, 2007, 1:26 AM
Thanks, we were thinking that the view of north Michigan Ave. would be great, as well as the pier for fire works? I have a few friends that selected the southern views with Grant Park, Soldier Field...and started to second guess my purchase.

i agree with the above comment that you really cant go wrong with this building. i can just imagine the view at night looking north, with the whole skyline lit up. hell, even the views to the west will prob be spectacular.

bnk
Apr 27, 2007, 2:42 AM
^I would rather have a north facing view too so you can see much of the skyline.

I always thought a south eastern view was a premium do to the amount of sunlight it would get, especially in the drab winter months. This view would make more sense north of the eastern portion of the Chicago River though so one could look into Grant Park and the lake. Alas Millennium will be a good clip south of the river so the direction of the view is debatable. I would think both sides northeast and southeast will rock in this one.

trvlr70
Apr 27, 2007, 1:30 PM

You made the right choice in my opinion. Most of the skyline will be visible to you.

Chicago3rd
Apr 27, 2007, 1:56 PM
If I had had a choice you picked perfect. So be sure to invite us to your housewarming so we can tell you we told you so.

Alliance
Apr 27, 2007, 2:18 PM
You made the right choice in my opinion. Most of the skyline will be visible to you.

Chicago Spire will be visible to you?

Then its good.

LoyolaBeachView
May 1, 2007, 2:02 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/479245646_8bcdce7f9e.jpg?v=0

Nowhereman1280
May 1, 2007, 2:17 AM
Mmmmm, what's that delicious smell? Do I smell a tower crane in the oven?

Alliance
May 1, 2007, 3:08 AM
Hopefully it'll smell of concrete soon enough.

APPRAISER
May 1, 2007, 3:59 AM
This is a big building, will there be one or two towers?

headcase
May 1, 2007, 9:52 AM

Big building, small site.....

SSDD

kayosthery
May 1, 2007, 12:31 PM

Just one tower crane.

Chitown
May 1, 2007, 4:41 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/479245646_8bcdce7f9e.jpg?v=0
Yes! A crane sighting! I'm pumped about this project; good to see that its going vertical is not far off.

VivaLFuego
May 1, 2007, 4:50 PM

I am an iron worker in the city can't believe the quantity of buildings that are going up. We are in a boom the likes I have never seen. I thought the early 80's were crazy. Steely, you do a great job, love the Chicago boom rundown page!

Congrats, like Steely said, you can't go wrong in this building, every view will be great, and hey if youve already got friends in the building, you'll just have to invite eachother over to share the views.

looking north, not only will you see north Michigan Ave., but you might also get some good peaks looking over the vast expanse of the north side of the city, including the north lakeshore. Can't be too bad ;)

jcchii
May 1, 2007, 5:37 PM
base of the crane right in your face from the L tracks

jjk1103
May 5, 2007, 11:12 PM
....doesn't this one use the Wabash facades for the garage (instead of going down), therefore, it should begin to rise immediatly ?

urban_encounter
May 6, 2007, 1:25 AM
http://lynnbecker.com/repeat/%20wabash/parkviewlarge.jpg

Close enough?

Sweet....

:yes:

jjk1103
May 7, 2007, 1:22 AM
.......no more winter photos ......please !

Alliance
May 7, 2007, 2:01 AM
Its not a photo...its a render of the building.

SamInTheLoop
May 7, 2007, 4:47 AM
A little caisson talk over in the Aqua thread had me wondering - were there rock caissons for the Legacy? They did seem to complete caisson work pretty quick, so I thought there might be a possibility that this would be the new tallest in Chicago with no rock caissons....anyone know?

BVictor1
May 7, 2007, 7:04 AM
A little caisson talk over in the Aqua thread had me wondering - were there rock caissons for the Legacy? They did seem to complete caisson work pretty quick, so I thought there might be a possibility that this would be the new tallest in Chicago with no rock caissons....anyone know?

I'm pretty sure that many of the caissons here might have been floating rock caissons meaning the caissons rest atop the rock instead of being drilled into it.

aaron38
May 8, 2007, 12:27 AM
There wasn't much to see today. It's not an easy site to get a shot of, the sidewalk's completely baracaded, and I didn't take the El today.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r86/aaron38/Chicago%205-7-07/Legacy.jpg

McStructures
May 26, 2007, 12:34 AM
Its been awhile.......here ya go

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/5-4.jpg

I think they are forming up the mat at the south end
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/5-6.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/5-5.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/5-2.jpg

BorisMolotov
May 26, 2007, 2:59 AM
In terms of excavation, there's not much to this, correct? Just the core and a mat and then upwards?

jjk1103
May 29, 2007, 2:24 AM
great pics...these tight construction sites are just really difficult to work in.....it seems to take forever to get out of the ground.

NYC2ATX
May 29, 2007, 3:33 AM
great pics...these tight construction sites are just really difficult to work in.....it seems to take forever to get out of the ground.

....and it seems like there's a good plenty of them in Chicago (read:waterview,300 N lasalle). :rolleyes:

ardecila
May 29, 2007, 5:18 AM
Yeah, but if we only built highrises in areas of flat, open land, we'd be like Schaumburg.... I'll take tight construction sites and long completion schedules anyday.

jjk1103
May 30, 2007, 7:11 PM
...I agree !!

Ecker
Jun 2, 2007, 4:45 AM
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb167/EckerTallness/IMG_3554.jpg

Nowhereman1280
Jun 2, 2007, 4:52 AM
^^^ Hey look! Rebar above street level! That means this thing will be getting going soon!

They don't have to dig for this project do they?

DePaul Bunyan
Jun 2, 2007, 5:54 AM
^^^ Hey look! Rebar above street level! That means this thing will be getting going soon!

Check out the Elysian thread. Are there any other places outside of Dubai where a 700-footer and an 800-footer climb above the street on the same day?

mkdr2
Jun 7, 2007, 4:19 PM
Received an email from the Legacy today stating that the foundation was finished and the building will emerge above Michigan Av by the end of the year.

Marcu
Jun 7, 2007, 5:29 PM
Received an email from the Legacy today stating that the foundation was finished and the building will emerge above Michigan Av by the end of the year.

Thanks for the update. Did they mean visible from Michigan ave? (seeing as that it's on wabash)

mkdr2
Jun 7, 2007, 6:48 PM
I'm sure that is what they meant, but I was repeating what was in the email.

APPRAISER
Jun 8, 2007, 1:42 AM
Yah, I hope so! But we all know about Waterview Tower. Does anyone know how deep they have to dig on this tower?

BVictor1
Jun 8, 2007, 1:59 AM
Yah, I hope so! But we all know about Waterview Tower. Does anyone know how deep they have to dig on this tower?

I don't believe that there is anything underground here. If so, it will only be 1 story or so. Remember Waterview went down 4 levels.

APPRAISER
Jun 8, 2007, 3:29 AM
I don't believe that there is anything underground here. If so, it will only be 1 story or so. Remember Waterview went down 4 levels.

Thank God! I can't wait for this building to rise! I travel alot and everytime I fly over Chicago, I picture all the current building under constuction.:banana:

McStructures
Jun 8, 2007, 3:56 AM
Who knows maybe we will see it emerge from Michigan Ave by the end of the year in 6 months? Currently,the 1st fl columns at the south end and central core are being formed. So its "emerging from Wabash, right now.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/6-1.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/6.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/6-2.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/6-3.jpg

Alliance
Jun 8, 2007, 3:58 AM
THIS IS AWESOME to see so much progess on this baby.

Thanks for the photos boys. :cool:

ColumbusTim79
Jun 8, 2007, 8:58 PM
isnt this the tallest loop area building since AT&T in 1990??

Steely Dan
Jun 8, 2007, 9:01 PM
isnt this the tallest loop area building since AT&T in 1990??

well, if you consider wabash & monroe to be "loop area" than you should probably include wacker & clark, the site of waterview tower, to be "loop area" as well.

Alliance
Jun 9, 2007, 3:49 AM
However, this might be topped out before Waterview?

BVictor1
Jun 9, 2007, 3:57 AM
However, this might be topped out before Waterview?

:) I so badly want to comment on that, but I won't...:cool: :D :rolleyes:

SolarWind
Jun 9, 2007, 4:09 PM
June 8, 2007

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4594/dsc0225copyyv9.jpg

I'm really looking forward to seeing Legacy go up. I have a decent view from work. I noticed that the tower crane is visible, just to the left of Mid-Continental Plaza (55 East Monroe). The picture isn't the greatest because of internal reflections on the window and it was filthy from all the dust blowing in the high winds recently. Block 37 is under construction in the foreground on the right.

dropdeaded209
Jun 9, 2007, 6:34 PM
i have a bad feeling about how mid-continental is going to look after the condo conversion. hopefully legacy will cover most of it up from a north-northwestern angle...

Chitown
Jun 9, 2007, 8:55 PM
i have a bad feeling about how mid-continental is going to look after the condo conversion. hopefully legacy will cover most of it up from a north-northwestern angle...
I have a bad feeling about how it looks now; I love Legacy though. Can't wait to see this thing rise.

Alliance
Jun 11, 2007, 2:03 AM
Not to get too far OT, but why was it necessary to replace the whole facade and totally change the design. Couldn't they have done something like a reverse WTC1 base and bent the columns together...giving them more windowspace withour destroying the facade?

SolarWind
Jun 29, 2007, 1:14 AM
June 28, 2007

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9868/dsc0129dj1.jpg

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2658/dsc0128xi6.jpg

Fabb
Jun 29, 2007, 6:39 PM
It's good to see a busy site.
Thanks for the update !

lalucedm
Jul 4, 2007, 7:41 PM
Damn, SolarWind, the location of this thing makes it pretty insanely hard to photograph. Yet, we have your customary awesome angle here...amazing...

djvandrake
Jul 5, 2007, 3:20 AM
Pictures from July 2nd.

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/6317/legacy1ky6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/2763/legacy2cd5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

APPRAISER
Jul 12, 2007, 6:16 AM
Haven't been by the site in a while....does anyone have any updated photos on this baby!!??

Sir Isaac Newton
Jul 17, 2007, 5:17 PM
Haven't been by the site in a while....does anyone have any updated photos on this baby!!??

I don't have any photos, but I was by the site a few days ago, and it looked like it was starting to go vertical!

jpIllInoIs
Jul 18, 2007, 12:35 PM
I keep forgetting that this one is UC. and then when I remember..
"It's all happening":wizard:

ChicagoBruce
Jul 18, 2007, 1:18 PM
Judging by what it looked like from the L yesterday, it has started to move vertical. I'm sure this isn't a big deal, but I did notice some fairly significant damage to the concrete on northwest corner of the core. I'll be curious to see if its patched up today. It looked like the frame they use to pour the next level may have knocked a good sized chunk out.

It's amazing how on top of this thing you are from the L. There will be great views of the early part of the construction.

jrickw
Jul 18, 2007, 4:50 PM
well, if you consider wabash & monroe to be "loop area" than you should probably include wacker & clark, the site of waterview tower, to be "loop area" as well.

I know that the above quote is old, but I just noticed it.

I would definitely include Wabash and Monroe to be the loop -- even in the classic sense as the train that defined the original concept of the "loop" runs right up Wabash (unless one is say that any land east of the actual tracks are outside of the loop, which is a bit too precise I think). Anyway I also agree that WV is in the loop as I think that for most Chicagoans, today the concept of the loop really pertains to anything south of the river on its E-W axis and east of the river on its N-S axis, and west of Michigan Avenue. Where it ends is anybody's guess. Most would probably say Van Buren with anything south of that qualifying as the South Loop, which, depending on whom you talk to, may go quite far south and possibly even east to include Museum Park.

So to bring this back to the topic at hand, I would agree that WV, not Legacy, is the tallest structure to be built in the Loop since Sears (or is AT&T taller?).

Rocket1
Jul 18, 2007, 5:18 PM
So to bring this back to the topic at hand, I would agree that WV, not Legacy, is the tallest structure to be built in the Loop since Sears (or is AT&T taller?).
AT&T (1007') is 40' shorter than Waterview (1047').

Of course, the roof height of AT&T is just 886'.

Maybe they can redesign WV and put a 120' spire on it too -- that would push WV past Aon Center. :)

Dr. Taco
Jul 18, 2007, 7:06 PM
^ he's just kidding, alliance

Untitled
Jul 19, 2007, 12:20 AM
^ You're thinking Alliance would want a taller spire?

Dr. Taco
Jul 19, 2007, 2:27 AM
oh man, im sure alliance would want FOUR spires of different heights on this thing! :P

Nowhereman1280
Jul 19, 2007, 2:36 AM
^^^

And one sticking awkwardly out of the side for good measure...

Alliance
Jul 19, 2007, 3:44 AM
O M G No Spires.

but :haha: @ you all.

SolarWind
Jul 20, 2007, 4:42 AM
July 19, 2007

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2657/dsc0239gp1.jpg

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/1120/legacyfl2.jpg

MrLakepoint
Jul 20, 2007, 10:19 AM
Solar, Excellent pictures.
Thank you......
By the way, the guy with his hands on his head, was he screaming at you?

Alliance
Jul 20, 2007, 10:26 AM
:haha: It does look like that. At least we know where the parking entrance is. :cool:

Lecom
Jul 20, 2007, 4:01 PM
Must be a pain in the ass bringing in all the heavy equipment on such a restricted site, where even the street frontage is fenced off by the historicm facades.

VA_Gentleman
Jul 20, 2007, 8:22 PM
How many levels of parking is this building going to have? Must have a few since the site is so tight.

ardecila
Jul 21, 2007, 1:29 AM
I've gotten the bird while doing construction photos. Just a part of the job.

djvandrake
Jul 21, 2007, 3:39 AM
I've gotten the bird while doing construction photos. Just a part of the job.

Yeah. When you show up with a camera and obviously don't belong, workers get suspicious. I've had mixed reactions when visitng construction sites too.

BVictor1
Jul 21, 2007, 6:18 AM
Yeah. When you show up with a camera and obviously don't belong, workers get suspicious. I've had mixed reactions when visitng construction sites too.

I get asked sometimes if taking pictures for anyone in particular. I'm just honest about it and mastly get good replys. I just say that I'm documenting construction for a website. I don't think I've ever been yelled at, and if I was, I'd yell back cause that's just me :)