PDA

View Full Version : CHICAGO | 108 North State (Block 37)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

emathias
May 2, 2008, 2:01 PM
wait... are you serious?

Sure, why not?

a chicago bearcat
May 3, 2008, 3:51 PM
Sure, why not?

other than the extreme tackiness of two golden wings on a facade

if they weren't tacky I'm not sure what they would be representing.

Post Modern at it's worst, very ricardo bofill-esque.

emathias
May 3, 2008, 6:21 PM
other than the extreme tackiness of two golden wings on a facade

if they weren't tacky I'm not sure what they would be representing.

Post Modern at it's worst, very ricardo bofill-esque.

Are you even remotely familiar with Bofill's work? I've seen nothing of his work that's remotely similar to the wings I propose. It was tenant Citadel, not architect Bofill, who placed the Winged Victory of Samothrace in the lobby of his 131 S Dearborn building.

Any large piece of art or architecture could be considered tacky if it's poorly executed. Done with high-quality materials, perhaps by classical Italian sculptors who know what they're doing, it could turn out stunning and not gaudy.

I thought the idea of putting wings on the building that houses what is supposed to become a station to two major airports would be obvious, but perhaps wings+flight is more abstract than I thought? And I'm a little shaky on how literal wings on a literal modal point to flying could be post-modern, but I'll admit post-modernism isn't my speciality.

In short, while I have no problem with people disliking my idea (I expect some to absolutely hate the idea), your critique makes absolutely no sense and cites examples that aren't even relevant.

Tom Servo
May 3, 2008, 7:23 PM
Are you even remotely familiar with Bofill's work? I've seen nothing of his work that's remotely similar to the wings I propose. It was tenant Citadel, not architect Bofill, who placed the Winged Victory of Samothrace in the lobby of his 131 S Dearborn building.

Any large piece of art or architecture could be considered tacky if it's poorly executed. Done with high-quality materials, perhaps by classical Italian sculptors who know what they're doing, it could turn out stunning and not gaudy.

I thought the idea of putting wings on the building that houses what is supposed to become a station to two major airports would be obvious, but perhaps wings+flight is more abstract than I thought? And I'm a little shaky on how literal wings on a literal modal point to flying could be post-modern, but I'll admit post-modernism isn't my speciality.

In short, while I have no problem with people disliking my idea (I expect some to absolutely hate the idea), your critique makes absolutely no sense and cites examples that aren't even relevant.

dude, i kind of agree with him. if your 'wings' represent flight, they would look perfect atop the pomogrecco donnelly... and that's bofill btw. i thought you were joking about those extremely post-modern wings... this isn't italy dude.

emathias
May 3, 2008, 7:37 PM
this isn't italy dude.

Oh, that's right. Silly me to forget that really art and architecture are all about repeating local themes and never borrowing from other times or cultures ...

a chicago bearcat
May 3, 2008, 8:01 PM
Oh, that's right. Silly me to forget that really art and architecture are all about repeating local themes and never borrowing from other times or cultures ...

Architecture should be about creating solutions to design problems that are unique to that site.

Wings can be added to any building to symbolize flight. But that's not really relevant to Daley plaza. maybe a large sculptural facade symbolizing the fact that the ComEd building is energy related.

It still wouldn't be design, it would be ornamentation. And thankfully most of the forward thinking architects in this city have been moving toward functional facades that activate and accentuate the needs and purposes of the building. Such as Aqua, Spertus, 600 Fairbanks, the SLO near north and Clybourn, and the McCormick Tribune Campus Center.

It is true that we borrow from other cultures, but I like to think we don't just slap on clumsy obtuse references to cultures and symbols we don't hold culturally significant.

jjk1103
May 12, 2008, 10:03 PM
.........why is the cladding process taking so long for this building ? ...it's only 3 stories and they have been cladding it for over a year !

ardecila
May 13, 2008, 6:12 AM
Cladding isn't the biggest priority. They're probably working on the top-down excavation and on interior walls/framing. Malls, especially vertical ones, have lots of walls to divide up all the shops and food courts.

woodrow
May 13, 2008, 10:09 PM
I believe they are beginning to put the wavy metal siding up on State St. Like, starting today.

Jibba
May 15, 2008, 3:54 AM
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6848/dsc05180ti6.jpg
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1416/dsc05202lf3.jpg
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3933/dsc05179wd9.jpg
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7271/dsc05185ga8.jpg
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8044/dsc05189sj1.jpg
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/6189/dsc05191qu7.jpg

emathias
May 16, 2008, 2:52 PM
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3933/dsc05179wd9.jpg

The way you've captured the light in the area is extremely impressive!

Tom Servo
May 16, 2008, 10:09 PM
after walking around the block 3 or 4 times inspecting b37, i wonder, what does everyone think is so bad? i actually really like b37. it's a great height for state street, the glass is really nice, and i really like those grey panels. and the lights i think will be fine, though i kind of wish they were ad panels. i kind of hope they tone down the residential part of this development because i like the height along state street. and what's wrong with the office tower? the base is really great and the glass is really expensive... does everyone on this forum cry over cheap glass? i don't get the 80s comments. :koko:

anyway, i think b37 is an overall success. it's no sony center by any means, but for what it is, it's nice.

what'd everyone want to see instead? a SUPERTALL super awesome skyscraper that looks REALLY COOL in the skyline????

Jibba
May 16, 2008, 10:59 PM
^^Thanks, emathias. The sunlight was perfect at the moment I captured the shot, so I have the sun to thank for the outcome of the photo.

I agree with you, adrian, about B37. The design isn't really conducive to having a finished product of grand spectacle, but the scale is right, and it will bring much-needed foot traffic to that part of town.

Alliance
May 16, 2008, 11:03 PM
it's a great height for state street,

Admit it. You only like it because its 4 stories, nevermind its an uininspired POS.

Tom Servo
May 16, 2008, 11:16 PM
Admit it. You only like it because its 4 stories, nevermind its an uininspired POS.

uninspired? hmm... i don't see that.

honte
May 17, 2008, 3:43 AM
How is the scale of Block 37 right? It's smaller than almost everything else on State Street, past or present. It's smaller than what used to be on Block 37. And since it is a large, monolithic structure, it wants to be even larger... something like Marshall Field's, for instance.

Jibba
May 17, 2008, 3:48 AM
I know it's a lot smaller than most everything on State Street, but I would still say that it is appropriately scaled height-wise, especially given the impact of its other design elements (detailing, color scheme, window sizes, lateral dimensions, etc.). I guess it just "feels right" to me when I view it and the other structures in its vicinity.

i_am_hydrogen
May 17, 2008, 4:16 AM
The way you've captured the light in the area is extremely impressive!

(off-topic) I agree. Jibba has displayed a penchant for this sort of liminal, ethereal lighting in many of his shots, particularly those of Aqua. I really like that aspect of his style.

woodrow
May 17, 2008, 6:27 PM
after walking around the block 3 or 4 times inspecting b37, i wonder, what does everyone think is so bad? i actually really like b37. it's a great height for state street, the glass is really nice, and i really like those grey panels. and the lights i think will be fine, though i kind of wish they were ad panels. i kind of hope they tone down the residential part of this development because i like the height along state street. and what's wrong with the office tower? the base is really great and the glass is really expensive... does everyone on this forum cry over cheap glass? i don't get the 80s comments. :koko:

anyway, i think b37 is an overall success. it's no sony center by any means, but for what it is, it's nice.

I agree. What makes the height of the State Street side successful is the sheer bulk. In that sense it does mimic Marshall Fields, Leiter II, Carson Pirie Scott, and the other, massive, blocks. Yes those great old stores are taller, but the fact that they built out b37 from Washington to Randolph, gives it a massivity appropriate to the history and scale of State Street.

Taft
May 17, 2008, 9:14 PM
(off-topic) I agree. Jibba has displayed a penchant for this sort of liminal, ethereal lighting in many of his shots, particularly those of Aqua. I really like that aspect of his style.

(Even more off-topic...)

What I really like about those shots is how they capture the "feel" of the loop under these lighting conditions. There are certain times of day where the loop has this odd "lit but draped in shadows" look that is a magical filter for the buildings in the area. It is just a great feeling walking the loop during those times.

Those pics capture this feeling perfectly. Bravo.

Taft

Jibba
May 17, 2008, 9:54 PM
Thanks everyone. As I said before, it's really about being at the right place at the right time. My camera also has a penchant for capturing sunlight like that quite well. However, it is absolutely abysmal when it comes to overcast conditions and the like--basically anytime I have to boost the ISO it gets pretty crappy. Thanks for the compliments, though, and I try to take advantage of these situations as much as possible when they arise. It's always great to hear that the opportunities weren't taken in vain!

Taft, I know exactly what you mean: the Loop in the hour or two before sunset, when the canyons are lit up with a warm, reflected glow is an incredible place to be. Accordingly, it is my favorite time of day to shoot (provided I get the chance).

harryc
May 18, 2008, 4:30 PM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SDBZNLY7DcI/AAAAAAAAl34/EUfTmvxgupg/P1360085.JPG?imgmax=800

Jibba
May 19, 2008, 5:52 AM
^Ouch. That metal "stuff" is REALLY looking like a "wtf can we do to 'spice things up a bit'"-type add-on in that picture.

budman
May 20, 2008, 10:28 PM
Oooooooooh, that metal stuff is ugly, wow. I am a huge fan of what B37 brings to the table by way of retail, vibrancy, etc., but I find it only slightly better looking than ugly. I like the big clear windows, but thats about it. That metal stuff has to go. Must be leftover from when Mills was running the show.

cbotnyse
May 20, 2008, 10:33 PM

what'd everyone want to see instead? a SUPERTALL super awesome skyscraper that looks REALLY COOL in the skyline????one word, forgettable.

B37 is completely and totally forgettable. Not one single tourist who walks past this structure will ever go back home and say, "wow, do you remember the awesome new architecture on State Street!"

It is boring as can as it possibly be. For someone who likes buildings that look like bugs humping each other, I'm surprised you like this bland POS. (besides short height, which you seem to be completely obsessed with)

killaviews
May 20, 2008, 10:54 PM
one word, forgettable.

B37 is completely and totally forgettable. Not one single tourist who walks past this structure will ever go back home and say, "wow, do you remember the awesome new architecture on State Street!"

It is boring as can as it possibly be. For someone who likes buildings that look like bugs humping each other, I'm surprised you like this bland POS. (besides short height, which you seem to be completely obsessed with)

I don't think most tourist return home gushing about the architecture of places they shopped and ate at. Certainly some do. The project won't be forgettable if it is commercially sucessful. If you're shopping you remember the stores, and if you're on an architectual tour, then you'll remember the building.

Yeah the architecture is pretty non-existent, but B37 is a platform or a blank canvas - the huge windows will be filled with glowing retail signs.

honte
May 20, 2008, 11:35 PM
^ B37 should have been so good that it would have been impossible not to talk about the architecture. As it is now, I agree with you - people will find it functional and useful, but those who are in touch with urban development will stop to consider what a missed opportunity it is.

the urban politician
May 21, 2008, 2:35 AM
one word, forgettable.

^ :haha:

You guys are so damn out of touch. What tourist ever says that??

cbotnyse
May 21, 2008, 3:53 AM

You guys are so damn out of touch. What tourist ever says that??probably every tourist that sees the Hancock, or Sears or Marina City or IBM or Wrigley, or Tribune, or will say when they see Aqua or the Spire?

why shouldn't this site have something as architecturally interesting as those buildings? The location is the very heart of the city, that has sat as an empty black eye for years and years, and this is the best they could come up with?

you can have it.

honte
May 21, 2008, 4:22 AM

You guys are so damn out of touch. What tourist ever says that??

Well, no tourist says that about State Street, because there isn't any.

But I don't understand why you find his statement objectionable. What tourist comes back from Dubai or Hong Kong and doesn't say something about the new architecture?

The Pimp
May 22, 2008, 8:21 PM
Why are we still arguing about this design? Who cares? It's not going to change.... anyway I'm just glad that something is being built on this spot. Many of you don't remember the garbage that was there prior to the "empty" period. I admit that I would have liked something more dramatic but it's not going to happen... at least in my life time.

cbotnyse
May 22, 2008, 8:41 PM
Why are we still arguing about this design? Who cares? It's not going to change....I care. I hate the design and I think this location should have something better. Will that happen? of course not, but I'd still like to voice my opinion about it if thats OK with you.

why dont you go around to every thread on this site and post the same advice to everyone who doesn't like the design for a particular building. :rolleyes:

Tom Servo
May 22, 2008, 8:48 PM
I care. I hate the design and I think this location should have something better. Will that happen? of course not, but I'd still like to voice my opinion about it if thats OK with you.

why dont you go around to every thread on this site and post the same advice to everyone who doesn't like the design for a particular building. :rolleyes:

i agree! if you hate something, complain about it! god knows i do! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Tom Servo
May 22, 2008, 8:49 PM
Why are we still arguing about this design? Who cares? It's not going to change.... anyway I'm just glad that something is being built on this spot. Many of you don't remember the garbage that was there prior to the "empty" period. I admit that I would have liked something more dramatic but it's not going to happen... at least in my life time.

i believe some of that garbage was landmarked... hmmm, i could be wrong :shrug:

...:sly:

cbotnyse
May 22, 2008, 8:51 PM
i agree! if you hate something, complain about it! god knows i do! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:but its not going to change!

the urban politician
May 23, 2008, 2:50 AM
why shouldn't this site have something as architecturally interesting as those buildings? The location is the very heart of the city, that has sat as an empty black eye for years and years, and this is the best they could come up with?

you can have it.

^ Because to the average tourist, it's just another average block on State street. Vast majority of them don't know the story behind this site, nor the fact that it was a vacant lot for almost 20 years. There's no reason to think tourists will give this particular site any special attention, especially since Marshall Field's was converted into a Macy's. In fact, I consider the Marshall Fields conversion a much, much, much bigger travesty for tourism on State St than a lackluster Block 37 will ever be.

harryc
May 23, 2008, 2:58 AM
A peek down State Street
http://lh6.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SDYydghFbEI/AAAAAAAAnc8/PYsnrhPjZo8/P1360522.JPG?imgmax=720

Oriental reflection
http://lh3.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SDYyfwhFbFI/AAAAAAAAndM/ary3kkFqhhc/P1360527.JPG?imgmax=720

Chicagoguy
May 23, 2008, 3:12 AM
A peek down State Street
http://lh6.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SDYydghFbEI/AAAAAAAAnc8/PYsnrhPjZo8/P1360522.JPG?imgmax=720

Oriental reflection
http://lh3.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SDYyfwhFbFI/AAAAAAAAndM/ary3kkFqhhc/P1360527.JPG?imgmax=720

So this building is going to have the express trains to both airports am I right? Which tracks will these trains run on? Also what all is planned to be in the building? I saw some early renderings of this building and it looks like it is going to be very modern style, I will be great to get some modern buildings in that area....it could be a great area!

cbotnyse
May 23, 2008, 11:08 AM
^ Because to the average tourist, it's just another average block on State street. Vast majority of them don't know the story behind this site, nor the fact that it was a vacant lot for almost 20 years. There's no reason to think tourists will give this particular site any special attention, especially since Marshall Field's was converted into a Macy's. In fact, I consider the Marshall Fields conversion a much, much, much bigger travesty for tourism on State St than a lackluster Block 37 will ever be.I really cant believe you have this attitude. Tourists wont give this site any special attention, because there is nothing special that deserves attention! I'm sorry I dont see State Street as "another average block" and it shouldn't be treated that way. This design does just that.

the urban politician
May 23, 2008, 12:57 PM
^ We need to get over the "this was a vacant lot for 20 years and that's all you can come up with?" mentality and realize that State St's biggest problem isn't a less than stunning Block 37. State St has plenty of historic draw as it is; but it is diminished because it still has shitty stores like Rainbow, and tourists don't shop in shitholes like that!.

Bring in better retail (which I'm hopeful Block 37 will do) and State street will be a huge magnet.

cbotnyse
May 23, 2008, 1:26 PM
^^ well I'm sure tourists will be falling over themselves to go to the Dairy Queen in B37 then. Thats a huge magent!

the urban politician
May 23, 2008, 1:48 PM
^ Dairy Queen isn't a destination. What it is, however, is a great service-oriented store that provides ice cream, etc for shoppers, tourists etc that have come to the area for other things. The developers I'm sure are aware that Dairy Queen alone won't be a draw, and hence are actively seeking other retailers.

Rainbow, on the other hand, is a destination shop and a shitty one at that. Rainbow also tells you something about the street (ie this is where poor people shop), whereas Dairy Queen, if mixed with the right attractions, will not necessarily do that.

I'm beginning to subscribe to the ideas of some of the original new urbanists (Duany et al.) who say that it is good investment in "meat & potatoes" that are far better for the central city than investment in dazzling, star-fetching projects. Okay, we have our Millennium Park 2 blocks away, but now lets create a solid, attractive shopping venue. Good streetscaping, transit, and over a century of character already give State St a great edge. What's left to do, IMO, is increase the nearby residential density & increase the "affluence" of the area, thus finally forcing stores like Rainbow to leave. Getting rid of giant vacant lots (Block 37) is also a great step towards attracting pedestrians.

honte
May 23, 2008, 1:58 PM
^ I am surprised that you are rallying against Rainbow on State Street (is there even one? - I don't remember if it's still there). Stores like Rainbow seem to say "real people from Chicago actually shop here." I'd rather have real people shopping in great architecture than tourists shopping in fancy stores housed in crappy dumbed-down architecture, which seems to be the direction your formula would take. I realize that you have acknowledged State has plenty of great buildings already, but let's put that aside for the moment.

In other words, this conversation has been focused on tourists, but I don't understand why. What about the people who have to interact with B37 on a daily basis? Those are the people who would notice great architecture, even if it took a decade for it to sink in. Those are also the people who would really benefit from it. Again, I have to come back to the fact that B37 should have had a major, public aspect to it, beyond just shopping and offices and possibly some small theatre. Sony Center at Potsdamer Platz as a model still resounds clearly.

If you could build something great and keep the rents low enough for Rainbow, so much the better as far as I am concerned. Obviously, that's not going to be possible, but I hardly think Rainbow is the problem.

cbotnyse
May 23, 2008, 2:02 PM
My whole point is that B37 is, at best, average in all aspects and State St deserves better. It is something no tourist will remember, and no local will always come back to. It is a failure in my eyes. I dont know why you are defending it. Of course its better than an empty lot and will do some good, but its a real missed opporunity of urban planning.

Rainbow at least adds character to the Street. B37 does not add that at all. I hope I'm wrong.

the urban politician
May 23, 2008, 2:11 PM
A mind-blowing, dazzling Block 37 was not ever needed to begin with. State St already has all of the key assets to be an absolutely wonderful draw. Being a somewhat modernist space-filler in Block 37 isn't going to diminish that.

I harp on Rainbow because it is located in ghettos across America. Perhaps when you see Rainbow you see "real", but I see 'ghetto', and that's the image it brings to State Street.

You guys seem to be exclusively viewing this whole thing from a very theoretical perspective (ie 'I'd rather see better architecture with lower-end stores than yadda yadda yadda..'). But I also see this as what this offers me. Chicago has NO street vendors, so I like that I can at least stop by Dairy Queen. I hated walking by a vacant lot at Block 37, and I hated that the first time I took my wife to Chicago there was this giant pile of dirt there. Other than Men's wearhouse, State street just hasn't had a lot of options for me compared to N Michigan Avenue. And since State Street is never going to beat the Mag Mile as a destinatin, I have been hopeful that it would attract more unique retailers that I would consider shopping at; Rainbow not being one of them. So if Block 37 can at least set a new standard for Block 37 in the form of retailing, it's a success--we have yet to see...

cbotnyse
May 23, 2008, 2:16 PM
A mind-blowing, dazzling Block 37 was not ever needed to begin with. State St already has all of the key assets to be an absolutely wonderful draw. Being a somewhat modernist space-filler in Block 37 isn't going to diminish that.I'm glad Daniel Burnham didnt have this mentality. :haha:

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die.

cbotnyse
May 23, 2008, 3:59 PM
(ie 'I'd rather see better architecture with lower-end stores than yadda yadda yadda..'). I'm pretty sure nobody has said this, def not me.

sammyg
May 24, 2008, 6:15 AM
^ I am surprised that you are rallying against Rainbow on State Street (is there even one? - I don't remember if it's still there). Stores like Rainbow seem to say "real people from Chicago actually shop here." I'd rather have real people shopping in great architecture than tourists shopping in fancy stores housed in crappy dumbed-down architecture, which seems to be the direction your formula would take. I realize that you have acknowledged State has plenty of great buildings already, but let's put that aside for the moment.

If you could build something great and keep the rents low enough for Rainbow, so much the better as far as I am concerned. Obviously, that's not going to be possible, but I hardly think Rainbow is the problem.

Clearly you've never actually shopped at Rainbow, because "real chicagoans" only shop there because it's cheap and easy to find. Let me assure you, as someone who's had to get his clothes there, that Rainbow really is a shithole. The clothes are the worst quality (they'd last a whole school year if I was lucky), the service is atrocious, and nothing's ever where it's supposed to be. Rainbow is the worst kind of store, offering people on a strict budget the bare minimum because they know there's no other option. (Other than Payless, which is just as bad). Nobody ever wants a Rainbow in their neighborhood, but if you can't get anything better...

What I like about the rejuvenation of State St. is that it's forcing horrible stores like Rainbow out in favor of places like Loehmann's and Old Navy which are still affordable but don't make you feel like you're pathetic for shopping there. I'd rather have good, solid business in Block 37 than some trashy joint that moved in when things sucked. Besides, it's the middle of the loop. Who needs to go all the way there to shop at Rainbow? It's a destination for tourists and Chicagoans. There should be destination worthy shopping.

"Real people" don't want a goddamned Rainbow, in their neighborhood OR across the plaza from City Hall.

honte
May 24, 2008, 5:24 PM
^ OK, replace "Rainbow" with "Old Navy" in my original message.

I am not talking about Rainbow vs. Old Navy, I am talking about the businesses you mention vs. tourist-oriented or super-posh businesses, the kind that usually cater to tourism. What is great about State is that it has stores that average people can shop at, bringing "real people" to the street, as I said. You sound like one of them.

VivaLFuego
May 27, 2008, 8:24 PM
^ Who owns the Old Navy building? Talk about a hideous wasted low density land use. And that's not even getting into the impressive structure that used to stand there. I ask who owns it because, is there a possibility of that getting redeveloped anytime soon?

VivaLFuego
May 27, 2008, 8:26 PM
Also, I'm with tup, Rainbow is a blight, and is generally about 2 steps up from a vacant lot (the intermediate step being a check cashing joint with bullet-proof glass, liquor-oriented bodega, etc.). Payless Shoes is maybe another step above Rainbow.

I have enough unfond childhood memories of the State Street bum parades in the 1980s that I won't bemoan the progression of State St to something more upscale, though I would prefer it retain at least some unique character in terms of retail mix.

the urban politician
May 28, 2008, 1:27 PM
Puma plans store at Block 37; Apple closer (http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=29596)
By Eddie Baeb, May 28, 2008

(Crain’s) — German sportswear giant Puma A.G. plans to open a flagship store at Block 37, while sources say Apple Inc. and trendy clothier Zara are moving closer to signing leases at the new shopping center in the Loop.

Puma, the world’s third-largest sporting goods company, has leased a two-level space along State Street that’s almost 8,500 square feet, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Eventually...Chicago
May 28, 2008, 2:39 PM
I have enough unfond childhood memories of the State Street bum parades in the 1980s that I won't bemoan the progression of State St to something more upscale, though I would prefer it retain at least some unique character in terms of retail mix.

Retail mix is a tough one. The pattern of present day chicago seems that only national retailers will venture into downtown where as others like to target specific demographics in surrounding neighborhoods. If downtown is the area of the city for all chicagoans and all visitors then the retail should be those tenants that appeals to the broadest range of people, hence the national/international retailers.

And regarding the dairy queen... anyone who has had a soft serve cone dipped in butterscotch would be for it moving in! Seriously, though, it is not like the DQ will be the flagship tenant taking up a corner at randolph and state. It is just one of those inconsequential tenants that will be tucked in somewhere and serve only convenience purposes.

the urban politician
May 28, 2008, 3:19 PM
Seriously, though, it is not like the DQ will be the flagship tenant taking up a corner at randolph and state. It is just one of those inconsequential tenants that will be tucked in somewhere and serve only convenience purposes.

^ Very reasonable thinking. Unfortunately, some people here actually think that because Block 37 won't be Sony Center/ Chicago it is all over for State St and there is no hope for us in the future.

Who have we got now (or close to getting)?

Puma, Muvico, Apple, Zara, DB Gym, DQ, Inditex. Am I missing any?

Chicagoguy
May 28, 2008, 3:28 PM
I think this is going to make a great impact on State Street just for the fact that it will house so much more retail and and then the express trains to the airports!

honte
May 28, 2008, 3:34 PM
^ Very reasonable thinking. Unfortunately, some people here actually think that because Block 37 won't be Sony Center/ Chicago it is all over for State St and there is no hope for us in the future.

I don't remember anyone saying that...

the urban politician
May 28, 2008, 3:51 PM
I think this is going to make a great impact on State Street just for the fact that it will house so much more retail and and then the express trains to the airports!

^ I'm not holding my breath for that one..

hdtvtechno
May 28, 2008, 8:06 PM
Can anyone grab a new photo shot of the CBS2 News Studio part of the building.. ?

They are moving closer to completion of the Studio..as they are advertising on their Commericals...

jjk1103
May 28, 2008, 11:38 PM
..I know this has been discussed before, but I can't remember......when is B37 scheduled to open ?! ....also, is there any better name for this complex besides "108 N State" ?

hdtvtechno
May 28, 2008, 11:58 PM
..I know this has been discussed before, but I can't remember......when is B37 scheduled to open ?! ....also, is there any better name for this complex besides "108 N State" ?

The CBS2 News Studio is set to open next month or sometime in july..
but the rest is set to open next year or 2010

jjk1103
May 29, 2008, 12:25 AM
The CBS2 News Studio is set to open next month or sometime in july..
but the rest is set to open next year or 2010

.....2010 !!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!! .....you've got to be kidding ! :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell:

nomarandlee
May 29, 2008, 2:36 PM
:previous: That is the first I remember hearing of 2010. I thought it was slated for for the first half of '09.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roeder/976474,CST-FIN-block29.article

'Transforming the street'
BLOCK 37 | Fashionable retailer Puma latest in line for State St. space

May 29, 2008Recommend

BY DAVID ROEDER droeder@suntimes.com

......Freed is marketing about 278,000 square feet of retail space within the broader Block 37 project, which includes an office high-rise and spots for future hotel and residential towers.

.......Some space could open late this year, but most retailers aren't expected to move in until sometime in 2009, at the earliest.

Chicagoguy
May 29, 2008, 3:13 PM
I believe in the original plans there was a plan for some type of theater? Did they end up not going through with it?

harryc
May 30, 2008, 1:34 AM
Can anyone grab a new photo shot of the CBS2 News Studio part of the building.. ?

They are moving closer to completion of the Studio..as they are advertising on their Commericals...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SD9XnwhFdSI/AAAAAAAAoPM/ouBjvIvFw-k/P1370624.JPG?imgmax=800

http://lh6.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SD9XpQhFdTI/AAAAAAAAoPc/_itjJp6_TOg/P1370629.JPG?imgmax=800

http://lh3.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SD9XqghFdUI/AAAAAAAAoPo/UaWn7YpupTg/P1370633.JPG?imgmax=800

http://lh4.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SD9XrwhFdVI/AAAAAAAAoP0/sVtddnlk184/P1370636.JPG?imgmax=800

http://lh6.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SD9XtQhFdWI/AAAAAAAAoQA/K87A4dCsKEU/P1370643.JPG?imgmax=800

http://lh6.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SD9XuQhFdXI/AAAAAAAAoQM/w0whuaP9FO0/P1370644.JPG?imgmax=800

Studio lights in, data runs (yellow) being terminated, not sure what the patch cables are for at this point.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SD9XxQhFdZI/AAAAAAAAoQk/oN_j5_z_RpE/P1370647.JPG?imgmax=720

Classy neighbor
http://lh6.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SD9XyQhFdaI/AAAAAAAAoQw/3sgZzG7aDz4/P1370656.JPG?imgmax=800

the urban politician
May 30, 2008, 1:49 AM
^ Great update. I like the use of limestone in those walls

Alliance
May 30, 2008, 2:18 AM
I actually thing the tower for this development is pretty decent. Its just the rest of the block that has me disgruntled.

Nowhereman1280
May 30, 2008, 2:55 AM
Studio lights in, data runs (yellow) being terminated, not sure what the patch cables are for at this point.

Those patches appear to be a rack of Video patch bays for routing the signal feeds from different parts of the studio to other parts of the studio. Just about every studio with Broadcast AV equipment has a rack of those. And are you certain thats data cable you are looking at? It seems like that is too much cable for it to be for data. It almost appears to me that it is audio cable to be be terminated in the rack to the left of the video patchbays. That rack appears as if it were to become the studio audio patchbay rack which serves a similar purpose to the video patchbays. I dunno, I could be wrong, I'd have to have a closer look to see for sure! (I only know that because my other job aside from working for a RE lawyer is selling and appraising Broadcast (and other) A/V equipment, (so if you are looking for any studio gear, video, audio or otherwise PM me!:tup:) ).

honte
May 30, 2008, 3:58 AM
The tower base has some nice rhythm and texture. I am pleasantly surprised. :tup:

ethereal_reality
Jun 1, 2008, 4:32 PM
I came across this original plan for block 37.
I thought it was interesting to compare.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5088/11ablock37jahnqw7.jpg

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5427/11ablock37asu0.jpg

jpIllInoIs
Jun 1, 2008, 4:39 PM
^ I still love those Jahn towers. It was always my favorite project for this site. I wish they would resurface for another location. I know they may be 80's but the detailed windows and flying buttresses and corinth columns inserted in to the midwall of the shorter tower make me want more.:yes:

ethereal_reality
Jun 1, 2008, 5:00 PM
by the way, your detailed pics of Block 37 are great harryc.
(including art deco Lightning Man)

harryc
Jun 1, 2008, 6:09 PM
Those patches appear to be a rack of Video patch bays for routing the signal feeds from different parts of the studio to other parts of the studio. Just about every studio with Broadcast AV equipment has a rack of those. And are you certain thats data cable you are looking at? It seems like that is too much cable for it to be for data. It almost appears to me that it is audio cable to be be terminated in the rack to the left of the video patchbays. That rack appears as if it were to become the studio audio patchbay rack which serves a similar purpose to the video patchbays. I dunno, I could be wrong, I'd have to have a closer look to see for sure! (I only know that because my other job aside from working for a RE lawyer is selling and appraising Broadcast (and other) A/V equipment, (so if you are looking for any studio gear, video, audio or otherwise PM me!:tup:) ).

Looked like regular old CAT-6 cable to me, but on a closer look .... they appear to be terminated already - not how data runs are done. That's alot of video feeds.

Nowhereman1280
Jun 2, 2008, 4:39 AM
^^^ Well the Yellow appears to be audio cable, so I think that will be for all the different mics and build in XLR sockets in the room, which I'm sure there will be many of. The patches to the right will probably have BNC cable which is a bit thicker than audio or CAT-6. It appears that there is BNC running to it through the cable tray to the right, it is kinda a white-creme-grey color and sorta gets lost next to the yellow stuff. I'd love to get in there and see what kind of equipment they will be using and if it will be brand new or recycled from their old facility.

SamInTheLoop
Jun 2, 2008, 12:53 PM

The office tower, next month.

The retail component, Spring 2009

The apartment and hotel components, ?????? (I hope Freed gets moving on these soon!)

jjk1103
Jun 2, 2008, 9:27 PM
I came across this original plan for block 37.
I thought it was interesting to compare.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5088/11ablock37jahnqw7.jpg

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5427/11ablock37asu0.jpg

......it looks like it came off just as planned !!! :haha: :haha: :haha: :yes: :yes: :yes: :D :D :D :D

hdtvtechno
Jun 4, 2008, 1:18 AM
^^^ Well the Yellow appears to be audio cable, so I think that will be for all the different mics and build in XLR sockets in the room, which I'm sure there will be many of. The patches to the right will probably have BNC cable which is a bit thicker than audio or CAT-6. It appears that there is BNC running to it through the cable tray to the right, it is kinda a white-creme-grey color and sorta gets lost next to the yellow stuff. I'd love to get in there and see what kind of equipment they will be using and if it will be brand new or recycled from their old facility.

Everything is brand new..there are not taking anything with them from the old building..

The studio will be an all HDTV Studio from the ground up..

Chicagoguy
Jun 4, 2008, 1:22 AM
I think this is going to ad to State Street tremendously and finally give Chicago Especially with the other news studio a block away this area is going to be great!

APPRAISER
Jun 5, 2008, 5:53 PM
I don't know if this has been asked already, and I apologize if it has, but a they still digging below the building for the new station?

Thanks!

Nowhereman1280
Jun 5, 2008, 5:56 PM
The studio will be an all HDTV Studio from the ground up..

Just curious, but any idea who they are planning to hire to liquidate the old studio equipment? You can PM me if you think this is getting off topic.

nomarandlee
Jun 5, 2008, 7:45 PM
^ I still love those Jahn towers. It was always my favorite project for this site. I wish they would resurface for another location. I know they may be 80's but the detailed windows and flying buttresses and corinth columns inserted in to the midwall of the shorter tower make me want more.:yes:

Can't say I am a fan of the Jahn towers. In fact I think I like what we are getting more then the Jahn towers and that is taking into considering I am underwhelmed by the current scheme.

ardecila
Jun 7, 2008, 9:50 AM
I don't know if this has been asked already, and I apologize if it has, but a they still digging below the building for the new station?

Thanks!

Yes, it's been asked already, and no, there's been no news about this. I emailed someone at CTA a few weeks ago and was told that subway construction is still ongoing, but this was definitely off-the-record, and the guy wasn't too sure about it, since he's not involved with the project.

I guess the easiest way to find some information would just be to poke around the platform at Washington and see if they've cut into the walls of the State Street subway for the track connection yet.

CTA had an original planned completion date of September '08, so if they're on schedule, then they should be getting pretty far by now.

jjk1103
Jun 7, 2008, 2:41 PM
...........State Street is going to be totally transformed in 2009! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Set to open in 2009: B37 / Carson's rehab / Palmer House rehab & retail / Wit Hotel / CTA Superstation ............and the recent openings of Mo Mo & Ch7 studios !!! .....does anyone know what the huge rehab to the Page Bros Building is all about ? .....it's the building next to the Chicago Theatre with all the scaffolding around it......

spyguy
Jun 7, 2008, 7:14 PM
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/mag/article.pl?articleId=30010

Block 37 bailout for CTA
By: Greg Hinz June 09, 2008

City Hall is planning another subsidy for Block 37 — this time a three-phased bailout of an el station under construction there that's running more than $100 million over budget.

Under plans that the Chicago Transit Authority board is scheduled to consider on Wednesday, the city would provide roughly $20 million in additional tax-increment financing funds for the "superstation" beneath the mixed-use project rising at Block 37, Crain's has learned.

....But people familiar with the matter say the new subsidies will cover only costs already incurred.

Until even more money is found, those people say, the semi-completed station will be mothballed...

Lecom
Jun 7, 2008, 7:32 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SD9XyQhFdaI/AAAAAAAAoQw/3sgZzG7aDz4/P1370656.JPG?imgmax=800
I wonder if the ladies are satisfied with his unusual endowment.

jcchii
Jun 8, 2008, 4:36 AM
Block 69

Ch.G, Ch.G
Jun 8, 2008, 6:58 PM
I wonder if the ladies are satisfied with his unusual endowment.

like fitting a square peg into a round hole

Eventually...Chicago
Jun 8, 2008, 11:47 PM
^^^^ now that's funny!

Saber925
Jun 9, 2008, 12:56 AM
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/mag/article.pl?articleId=30010

Block 37 bailout for CTA
By: Greg Hinz June 09, 2008

City Hall is planning another subsidy for Block 37 — this time a three-phased bailout of an el station under construction there that's running more than $100 million over budget.

Under plans that the Chicago Transit Authority board is scheduled to consider on Wednesday, the city would provide roughly $20 million in additional tax-increment financing funds for the "superstation" beneath the mixed-use project rising at Block 37, Crain's has learned.

....But people familiar with the matter say the new subsidies will cover only costs already incurred.

Until even more money is found, those people say, the semi-completed station will be mothballed...

It would seem that the city will need to come up with a solution. A mothballed transit station won't help their Olympic bid.

SamInTheLoop
Jun 9, 2008, 3:04 AM
I would love an explanation of how the underground construction bill is already around $300 mil. - even given construction cost inflation, more complicated utility relocation than originally planned for, and let's face it - I don't think anyone would be surrised if you had the obligatory government project poor planning/cost overruns, etc, $300 mil. or so seems really high for the amount of work done (that we are generally aware of that has occurred)...

hdtvtechno
Jun 9, 2008, 6:35 AM
Just curious, but any idea who they are planning to hire to liquidate the old studio equipment? You can PM me if you think this is getting off topic.

If im not mistaken its allready sold to the buyer

jjk1103
Jun 9, 2008, 8:53 PM
I would love an explanation of how the underground construction bill is already around $300 mil. - even given construction cost inflation, more complicated utility relocation than originally planned for, and let's face it - I don't think anyone would be surrised if you had the obligatory government project poor planning/cost overruns, etc, $300 mil. or so seems really high for the amount of work done (that we are generally aware of that has occurred)...

.....the $300M has to just about cover the whole project ?! :shrug: :shrug:

Chicago3rd
Jun 9, 2008, 9:10 PM

Not that you are wrong because I am sure you are right, but something about the bidding system in Illinois. It happened with the Brown line too...and it isn't just because of overruns and normal inflation and stuff.

The system is broke as far as estimating these projects.

hdtvtechno
Jun 10, 2008, 9:53 AM
At the 10:00pm newscasts they announced that they are just started to put together the new studio newsdesk..
and said they expect to start broadcasting from there first or second week July...

Via Chicago
Jun 11, 2008, 7:04 PM

You new here? LOL. This is Chicago...it sucks, but its the way things usually wind up.

2PRUROCKS!
Jun 11, 2008, 8:42 PM
CTA halts over-budget Loop superstation
By: Greg Hinz June 11, 2008
(Crain’s) — Chicago Transit Authority officials Wednesday finally conceded that the “superstation” under construction beneath Block 37 in the Loop is way over budget — “in excess of $100 million” — and announced that the half-completed facility will be indefinitely mothballed while they search for a private partner to finance its completion.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=29790

cbotnyse
Jun 11, 2008, 8:45 PM
^^ what a failure.

nomarandlee
Jun 11, 2008, 8:59 PM
:previous: Indeed, especially since I am guessing that retrofitting the NCS Metra Line to run from Union to O'Hare would at the end of the day been cheaper, efficient, and more dependable.

intrepidDesign
Jun 11, 2008, 9:16 PM
I'm honestly not surprised. The CTA is always crying poormouth and almost shut down on three separate occasions last year alone. I think its funny that Chicago being a "green" city, and yet the CTA is so under funded, or maybe just poorly managed.

harryc
Jun 12, 2008, 10:40 AM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SFD8x4QoVkI/AAAAAAAApCw/CYXMlnUKLnA/P1390392.JPG?imgmax=720

Breezyfingers
Jun 12, 2008, 2:43 PM
22 W. Washington yesterday:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3061/2573212542_dcd058710b_o.jpg