PDA

View Full Version : Talks bubble about building an aquarium in downtown Raleigh

cityboi
Dec 3, 2003, 2:42 PM
Talks bubble about building an aquarium in downtown Raleigh
Kim Nilsen
RALEIGH - The North Carolina Aquarium Society has uncorked the idea of building an aquarium in Raleigh, and the nonprofit has taken a furtive glance at a possible site - downtown's Exploris museum.

Before anyone draws comparisons between that look- see and the circling of sharks, the visit wasn't as predatory as it might sound.

"That's one of the facilities that we've looked at internally," says Neal Conoley, executive director of the society. "Certainly, we're not pushing the idea." The notion was discussed "in passing" with state officials at the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, which oversees North Carolina's three state-supported aquariums.

Conoley says there have been no talks with Exploris, a private, nonprofit children's museum, or with Wake County, which owns and maintains Exploris' Hargett Street building.

"If there's any interest in doing that," he adds, the society would be happy to consider it. But he stresses that for this year, the society is focused on getting a $23 million-plus expansion at the state aquarium in Pine Knoll Shores near Atlantic Beach.

The smallest of the state aquariums Pine Knoll had 239,710 visitors in the year that ended June 30. The Fort Fisher aquarium drew 456,190, while the facility on Roanoke Island reported attendance of 315,714.

Exploris and the Imax at Exploris theater, which have been plagued with budget deficits despite ongoing funding from Wake County, drew 183,000 visitors in the fiscal year that ended June 30.

"Aquariums are great attractions," says Margaret Mullen, president of the Downtown Raleigh Alliance. "It's one we ought to look at."

But Mullen, a member of the Exploris board, would look to the existing Raleigh Convention and Conference Center building instead of Exploris as a site. The more modern portion of the center, which faces Wilmington Street, would be left standing when the new convention center opens, under the current plan.

A bid to convert Charlotte's old convention hall to an aquarium fizzled in 2000 when the city developed alternative plans. Refitting the building and adding exhibits would have cost $75 million to $100 million, Conoley says.

The Queen City could offer up competition for supporters of an aquarium in Raleigh. Meanwhile, a group from Fayetteville has sought state backing for a freshwater aquarium in that city.

While Charlotte boasts a larger population than Raleigh, Conoley says, the capital city is better known as a museum hub. "It just depends on which place wants to be more aggressive," he says.

Several groups could be waiting in the wings for Raleigh's leftover convention center space, Mullen says. Already, there's talk of a movie theater, performance space, a community center and a public-private partnership to build Shaw University dorms.

A center city location in Raleigh would give Raleigh another tourist attraction.

The National Aquarium in Baltimore drew 1.5 million people in 2002. More than 1.7 million visited the $70 million South Carolina Aquarium between its May 2000 opening on the Charleston Harbor and April 2003.

hauntedheadnc
Dec 3, 2003, 11:38 PM
So, three aquariums on the coast, plus possibly one in Raleigh or Charlotte, and a freshwater aquarium in Fayetteville...

Is this a great state for fish, or what? Let's see a few more aquariums, what say? There are enough weird and unique lifeforms in the mountains to justify one somewhere up here, and how about one in Asheboro at the state zoo?

ejohnson
Dec 4, 2003, 7:42 PM
this is would be a great boost for downtown Raleigh.

nostyle
Dec 4, 2003, 8:01 PM
Haven't heard a peep out of Charlotte in quite some time regarding any aquarium plans...too many other things going on. It's a cool idea for whichever city finally sees it through.

Always wondered why Charlotte doesn't have a zoo too...to me, a zoo is mandatory for a major city...like an airport or sports team.

tkd720man
Dec 4, 2003, 8:58 PM
I think the reason that Charlotte doesn't have a zoo is because of the zoo in Asheboro. It's smack in the middle of the state and it's amazing. It's immensely huge, and has great attractions. I don't think people in this state would want to support another zoo when the NC Zoological park in Asheboro is so successful. With that one around, there's just no justification for building a real zoo anywhere else.

On the subject of the aquarium... I think it would be great for downtown Raleigh. Especially if it's built at Exploris. It's the sort of attraction that brings people downtown by the thousands. It's simply a unique, interesting thing to see and you can't get it at a strip mall in the suburbs or anything like that. If there's a group willing to fund it, I say the downtown alliance should push every buttont they can to see what they can do to get it built downtown.

tkd720man@hotmail.com

Matthew
Dec 4, 2003, 10:09 PM
I thought there was a "Charlotte Zoo", north of the city on I-85. I remember seeing signs along I-85 advertising it. It must not be very big? If it's still there, Charlotte should try to have it moved inside the city limits.

Winston-Salem talked about building an aquarium in downtown in 1999, but the citizens didn't want it and so many aquariums lost money, close attractions or had to close completely, not long after opening. I think Raleigh is an excellent location, since so many school children visit the capitol and it's museums. I don't think one would work in Asheville though. I don't want our tax money spent on something the city or county would have to pay for year after year or possibly close. That could be the same reason Charlotte isn't building one? Asheville does need a major attraction for mountain visitors though. Something to bring more people downtown. It seems so many just visit the Biltmore House and the parkway. We need a major attraction to keep people downtown for at least a day or two for exploring. I don't think the Thomas Wolf attractions are enough and they are so poorly advertised, along with the rest of downtown, in the national media. This city does very little to get tourists downtown.

Style
Dec 4, 2003, 11:21 PM
There were talks not too long ago about bringin an Aquarium to Uptown Charlotte. Think since it has gone into the 'other' project category. Nothing is ever dead here! ;)

Charlotte had the "metro" zoo which is nothing more than a hay wagon ride through some forest. "Oh, there is a deer! There is a racoon!" It is far from being anything considered good.

Charlotte would also be a great location for an Aquarium. Not to really steal the spot light from Raleigh here but the city has many people that visit the city (Bowl game coming up and NASCAR Speed Street and races). Heck, look at TN, they have an aquarium for every large city and a zoo for the even larger ones too!

If Raleigh does get an aquarium it would just add onto the great selection of things the state has built for the city in Downtown. Just something more for school children to rush to when in the city! ;)

My trip to Raleigh in 4th grade was awsome. We were all shocked because we got back at 11 PM! Two hours late! :eek: Nothing next to the eight hours late we were from DC when we got stuck in rush hour!

GimmeABreak
Dec 4, 2003, 11:53 PM
You know, there's no rule that says only one city or the other can have an aquarium. I think it's a cool attraction that both cities should think about investing in.

Style
Dec 5, 2003, 12:12 AM
You know, there's no rule that says only one city or the other can have an aquarium. I think it's a cool attraction that both cities should think about investing in.

If Raleigh gets one then I do not see one in Charlotte's future for a long time. The state will say 'one is enough' or the one in Raleigh will not do 'awsome' and they will think it will 'flop' in Charlotte. (Not saying that it will in Ralleigh).

Matthew
Dec 5, 2003, 12:27 AM
They aren't money makers. Many fight to break even in larger cities. In Denver, their aquarium filed for Chapter 11 reorganization in April 2002 and has $62.5 million in debt! They recently had to sell to Ripley's Museums. It's not something you should built unless you know it will work. Raleigh can make it work as part of their "tour of the capitol" for school children. Winston-Salem could have tried to tie it in with Old Salem somehow, but I am with City Council on that one. I don't think it would have done well. Here in Asheville I think it would lose money and all governments involved would have to pay for the attraction year after year.

49er
Dec 5, 2003, 12:45 AM
id rather see a new triple a stadium and new modern art museum than the fish tank - in charlotte that is.

This wouldnt be a state proposal would it?

glowrock
Dec 5, 2003, 1:10 AM
They aren't money makers. Many fight to break even in larger cities. In Denver, their aquarium filed for Chapter 11 reorganization in April 2002 and has $62.5 million in debt! They recently had to sell to Ripley's Museums. It's not something you should built unless you know it will work. Raleigh can make it work as part of their "tour of the capitol" for school children. Winston-Salem could have tried to tie it in with Old Salem somehow, but I am with City Council on that one. I don't think it would have done well. Here in Asheville I think it would lose money and all governments involved would have to pay for the attraction year after year.

Actually, Colorado's Ocean Journey was sold to Landry's Seafood Restaurants, Matthew! :) Seriously! They outbid Ripley's by about 2 million, I believe. As of now, COJ is still open, owned by Landry's. Supposedly they're going to do a pretty major expansion of the place, hopefully they don't destory the building itself, for it's a gorgeous piece of modern architecture!

Aaron (Glowrock)

PS: You're right, though. Aquariums are expensive to build, expensive to operate and maintain, and need a consistent funding source, not necessarily only admissions and memberships! Fish are expensive to maintain, period! :)

Style
Dec 5, 2003, 2:34 AM
id rather see a new triple a stadium and new modern art museum than the fish tank - in charlotte that is.

This wouldnt be a state proposal would it?

When has the state proposed something in Charlotte? ;)

metroboi
Dec 5, 2003, 11:47 AM
I thought there was a "Charlotte Zoo", north of the city on I-85. I remember seeing signs along I-85 advertising it. It must not be very big? If it's still there, Charlotte should try to have it moved inside the city limits.

Matthew, this was a privately owned for profit zoo in Cabarrus county that is not affilated in any way with Charlotte. In fact they have been trying to close it down because the animals are not treated very well.

Concerning the comments about the state govt. This is not a NC State Government project, so the State government does not have anything to do with deciding where the aquarium will go.