PDA

View Full Version : Sports in Ottawa (misc. articles/news)

Pages : [1] 2 3

citydwlr
Jul 16, 2014, 5:57 PM
The Mayor is supposed to make an announcement tomorrow (Thursday July 17, 2014) regarding a sporting event coming to Ottawa in 2017, according to Metro News (http://metronews.ca/news/ottawa/1097988/major-sporting-event-coming-to-ottawa-in-2017-says-city/):

‘Major’ sporting event coming to Ottawa in 2017, says City

Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson will announce Thursday that a major, national sporting event is coming to town in 2017.

Coun. Maria MacRae and Coun. Mark Taylor will join the mayor for the announcement at the Terry Fox Athletic Facility on Riverside Drive at 10 a.m., the city said in a news release issued Wednesday morning. No other details were provided.

The unspecified event will “promote our city on the national and world stage and generate increased tourism and business revenue,” the city said in the release.

I'm not sure what event they could be talking about, other than a Track & Field event, given the location of the announcement. With that, I did find this article from last year indicating that Ottawa had put a bid on the World Youth Track & Field Championships (http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/3840114-toronto-seeks-canadian-bid-to-host-world-youth-track-and-field-championships-in-2017/), of which Toronto and Montreal were also in the running.

Boxster
Jul 16, 2014, 7:06 PM
The Mayor is supposed to make an announcement tomorrow (Thursday July 17, 2014) regarding a sporting event coming to Ottawa in 2017, according to Metro News (http://metronews.ca/news/ottawa/1097988/major-sporting-event-coming-to-ottawa-in-2017-says-city/):

I'm not sure what event they could be talking about, other than a Track & Field event, given the location of the announcement. With that, I did find this article from last year indicating that Ottawa had put a bid on the World Youth Track & Field Championships (http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/3840114-toronto-seeks-canadian-bid-to-host-world-youth-track-and-field-championships-in-2017/), of which Toronto and Montreal were also in the running.

and I was hoping for a second F1 Canadian Grand Prix!!! :(

LeadingEdgeBoomer
Jul 16, 2014, 9:01 PM

The location would seem to say track and field, but the announcement says a national sporting event. The World Youth Championship is an international event. Maybe it is just a sloppy press release that did not use the correct word.

J.OT13
Jul 16, 2014, 10:01 PM
I was going to say Grey Cup, but it doesn't match the location of the announcement obviously.

citydwlr
Jul 16, 2014, 10:03 PM
The location would seem to say track and field, but the announcement says a national sporting event. The World Youth Championship is an international event. Maybe it is just a sloppy press release that did not use the correct word.

I thought that too, but there was that last statement:

"The unspecified event will “promote our city on the national and world stage...""

So I'm puzzled as to what "national" sports event would be publicized on the worlds stage ...

The Canadian Youth Track & Field Championships for 2017 will be held in Brandon, Manitoba (http://www.brandonfirst.com/brandon-to-host-2017-2018-national-youth-track-and-field-championships/).

Stevenson
Jul 16, 2014, 10:22 PM
I'd bet it's the 2017 Winter Classic between Ottawa and Montreal

Norman Bates
Jul 16, 2014, 10:27 PM

Now that would be something!

J.OT13
Jul 16, 2014, 10:43 PM

I'm sure we'll get it, I mean what better place to celebrate the 100 years of the NHL than the birthplace of the Stanley Cup with an outdoor game between the two oldest teams (58 year hiatus aside)! But I don't think that's the announcement Watson was referring to.

harls
Jul 16, 2014, 11:35 PM
World men's curling championship? :)

rocketphish
Jul 17, 2014, 12:55 AM
Canadian Bocce Championships?

This year's event is being held this weekend in Kimberley, BC:
http://www.kimberleyjulyfest.com/canadian-bocce-championships

acottawa
Jul 17, 2014, 1:32 AM
I'm sure we'll get it, I mean what better place to celebrate the 100 years of the NHL than the birthplace of the Stanley Cup with an outdoor game between the two oldest teams (58 year hiatus aside)! But I don't think that's the announcement Watson was referring to.

It's also the Leafs 100th anniversary (and almost certainly the 50th anniversary of their last cup) and they pay everyone else's bills. And the cup's birthplace is Sheffield.

citydwlr
Jul 17, 2014, 2:16 PM
via Twitter (https://twitter.com/JonathanWilling/status/489771481694756864):

Athletics Canada about to announce #Ottawa (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ottawa?src=hash) will host national track and field championships in 2017 & 2018.

J.OT13
Jul 17, 2014, 4:20 PM
It's also the Leafs 100th anniversary (and almost certainly the 50th anniversary of their last cup) and they pay everyone else's bills. And the cup's birthplace is Sheffield.

Ya well, Leafs suck!

citydwlr
Jul 31, 2014, 4:47 PM
There wasn't a separate thread for Basketball (or the Skyhawks for that matter) in the Sports & Rec section of this forum, but it looks like there won't be a need any time soon... The Skyhawks are no more:
http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/07/31/ottawa-skyhawks-booted-from-nbl-of-canada

rocketphish
Jul 31, 2014, 4:57 PM
There wasn't a separate thread for Basketball (or the Skyhawks for that matter) in the Sports & Rec section of this forum, but it looks like there won't be a need any time soon... The Skyhawks are no more:
http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/07/31/ottawa-skyhawks-booted-from-nbl-of-canada

Tomahawk chopped right out of the league. Did anybody actually go to see their games?

J.OT13
Jul 31, 2014, 5:39 PM
As stated in the article; they were doomed from day one because of the bad location. If the inaugural season was at the Civic Centre, attendance might have been better, not to mention cheaper rent.

rocketphish
Aug 28, 2014, 5:39 PM
City, Sens announce new recreation project for Hintonburg

Marie-Danielle Smith, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: August 28, 2014, Last Updated: August 28, 2014 6:15 AM EDT

A new recreational facility is being planned in the Hintonburg area for next spring as part of the Laroche Park redevelopment, the City of Ottawa announced Wednesday.

The city is collaborating with the Ottawa Senators Foundation and the Trinity Development Foundation on the project.

It will be the fourth of 20 Sens Recreational Investments in Neighbourhood for Kids (RINK) projects in Ottawa. Previous projects included the Rink of Dreams at City Hall and rinks at Jules Morin and Bayshore Parks.

The Sens RINK at Laroche Park, close to the intersection of Scott Street and Parkdale Avenue, will serve the Mechanicsville, Hintonburg and West Centretown communities.

According to the city, the facility will offer free recreational programs and activities for hundreds of kids in the area.

msmith@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/mariedanielles

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/city-sens-announce-new-recreation-project-for-hintonburg

silvergate
Nov 7, 2014, 3:15 AM
Not really sure where to post an article like this, but certainly an interesting opportunity for the Ottawa Senators to look into

http://www.tsn.ca/westhead-maple-leafs-go-to-china-hoping-to-mimic-manchester-united-s-success-1.127203

Schattenjager
Nov 25, 2014, 4:13 PM
Ottawa Fury season tickets went on sale yesterday.

Can't wait for the next season and for them to announce signings for next season's team!

rocketphish
Sep 2, 2015, 2:39 AM
Promise broken: Decontamination costs put Mechanicsville rink on ice

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: September 1, 2015 | Last Updated: September 1, 2015 8:58 PM EDT

A Sens RINK planned for Laroche Park in Mechanicsville a year ago has been scrapped by the city, which will instead build the next Sens RINK in Overbrook.

“Promise made. Promise broken,” Blair Simser, president of the Mechanicsville Community Association, said Tuesday. “I have emails from the city saying they were going to start work in July. It should have been going in. Suddenly it’s not.”

Contaminated soil and unexpected engineering costs are to blame for the city’s decision, said Kitchissippi Coun. Jeff Leiper.

“A couple of weeks ago I had to inform the community that that is not proceeding and there is no definite timetable for putting that rink in the park,” Leiper said.

The Laroche Park rink was announced in August 2014, one of 20 Sens RINKs (Recreation Investment in Neighbourhoods for Kids) targeting disadvantaged communities in and around Ottawa. Sens RINKS have already been built in Bayshore Park and Jules Morin Park in Lowertown. They are funded by the Ottawa Senators Foundation and are meant to promote year-round physical activity, with skating in the winter and basketball or skateboarding in summer.

The city knew the soil at Laroche Park was contaminated and would have to be cleaned up, Leiper said, but soil tests done earlier this summer showed it to be dirtier than previously thought. In addition, engineers determined the soil was susceptible to frost heave in winter, meaning that as much as a metre of gravel would have had to be laid down under the concrete rink pad.

“The testing showed the city that they were going to have to spend a lot more than they thought they were going to have to to prepare this site,” Leiper said.

The city had budgeted between $40,000 and $75,000 for site preparation, but after soil testing that cost ballooned to more than $150,000, Leiper said. Another $100,000 would be needed for maintenance access and upgrades to the water supply to the park.

“These were all costs that weren’t anticipated when they made the announcement last summer, costs for which there is no budget,” he said. “I think the city is still committed with the Sens Foundation to get one built, but the timing is very uncertain.”

The silver lining, Leiper said, is that in a couple of years the park will be part of a major sewer reconstruction project that would allow the decontamination to be done. A planned reconstruction of the park will allow the city to start from scratch.

“But the question remains: How are we going to pay for it?” Leiper said. Much of the money is expected to come from development charges for yet-to-be-built highrises in Bayview, adding to the uncertainty, he said.

None of it sits well with Simser, who said the rink is needed in his community, a disadvantaged neighbourhood east of trendy Hintonburg near the O-Train tracks.

“We have more rooming houses and city housing than pretty much anywhere. This would be a fantastic place to put it,” Simser said. “It would be such a great addition and it would make such a difference here.”

He sees the decision to build the next Sens RINK in Overbrook as political meddling and the city playing favourites.

“It doesn’t make a lot of sense,” he said.

But Leiper said he believes the city is still committed to a rink in Laroche Park.

“I don’t want to begrudge them building it in Overbrook. It’s a community that needs it as well. There are a lot of communities around the city that are going to benefit from the Sens Foundation’s generosity, but I absolutely share (Mechanicsville’s) disappointment that they were promised a rink and now it’s been delayed.

“I’m realistic. The money’s not in the budget. But I think the least we can do for the Mechanicsville community is give them a date.”

bcrawford@ottawacitizen.com
Twitter.com/getBAC

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/mechanicsville-residents-up-in-arms-after-city-renegs-on-sens-rink-promise

rocketphish
Oct 21, 2015, 11:51 PM
Senators Foundation breaks ground on Overbrook rink

By Alex Robinson
Ottawa East News, Oct 21, 2015

Overbrook skaters will have a brand new outdoor rink to play hockey on this December.

The Ottawa Senators Foundation started work to build a new “Sens Rink” in Overbrook Park on Oct. 13. The foundation has already built five other such rinks for youth and children across the Ottawa region and hopes to build 20 in total.

“Sens Rinks provide a space close to home for kids and their families to get active and fosters skills such as leadership, teamwork and fair play,” Danielle Robinson, president of the foundation, said at a ground-breaking ceremony on Oct. 8.

The rinks, which include hockey dasher boards, fencing and nets, offer free recreational programs to young people year-round as they also have basketball nets in the summer. Community leaders hope the rink will help to push disadvantaged youth to become physically active and socially engaged.

“Social recreation for the youth of our city is a key aspect of the corporate and philanthropic giving of the company,” said John Ruddy, Trinity Development Group president and CEO, which served as the main sponsor of the rink.

“We are proud to support a Sens Rink initiative here in the Overbrook community knowing that the neighbourhood as a whole has committed to the successful operation of the rink and social recreation activities.”

Elected officials, as well as Cyril Leeder, Ottawa Senators president, attended the ground-breaking ceremony.

“The city of Ottawa is very proud of our partnership with the Ottawa Senators Hockey Club and the Ottawa Senators Foundation,” said Mayor Jim Watson.

“The new rink will be a great facility all year round, with skating and hockey clinics, as well as many summer sporting programs. It will benefit hundreds of children and families in this community and beyond.”

Work on the rink is expected to be finished by December 2015.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/5969079-senators-foundation-breaks-ground-on-overbrook-rink/

citydwlr
Oct 22, 2015, 3:06 AM
[Ottawa] Fury [FC] Claim Fall Title With Win in Jacksonville
Ottawa erases first half deficit to claim NASL Fall Season Championship

http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/2015/10/21/match-recap-fury-vs-armada

Schattenjager
Oct 22, 2015, 9:56 PM
[Ottawa] Fury [FC] Claim Fall Title With Win in Jacksonville
Ottawa erases first half deficit to claim NASL Fall Season Championship

http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/2015/10/21/match-recap-fury-vs-armada

I already have my tickets for the semi-final and final. I can't wait!!!

There are rumours floating around that there will be a huge announcement during the Grey Cup indicating the start of a new 1st division soccer league in Canada being organized by both the CFL and the CSA. The rumours were mentioned during an episode of the "Ours is the Fury" podcast.

Considering OSEG's association to the CFL through the Red Blacks, it would be interesting if Ottawa Fury FC would become one of the founding teams of the new league.

kevinbottawa
Oct 26, 2015, 7:14 PM
Another pro-basketball team for Ottawa. Rumours were that Dave Smart and Leo Rautins wanted to bring an Ottawa team back to the NBLC. Perhaps they've decided on the Canadian Basketball League instead.

I have more confidence in the CBL than the NBLC. The President, Butch Carter, is a former NBA coach, is well connected and respected, and knows basketball. I wish this league luck.

Ottawa on schedule of first Canadian Basketball League team

Published on: October 26, 2015 | Last Updated: October 26, 2015 2:14 PM EDT

The return of professional basketball to Ottawa seems a step closer with the appointment of a CEO for a new club in Kitchener-Waterloo and the release of a schedule that includes games against a team from the capital.

The Canadian Basketball League made the announcement on Monday.

Some final details remain to be ironed out before an Ottawa team is formally introduced, officials with the CBL say. However, the Kitchener-Waterloo club says it will play Ottawa on Dec. 18, again on Dec. 31, Jan. 29, 2016, March 5 and March 11. There are also matches against teams from Scarborough and Hamilton on the schedule.

Ottawa had a one-season run of professional basketball with the SkyHawks franchise in the National Basketball League of Canada in 2013-14.

That club won 21 of 41 games, but was caught up in controversy off the court. The original nickname of Tomahawks was quickly withdrawn; the team’s first head coach was dismissed after just seven games and small crowds forced a late-season move from too-large Canadian Tire Centre in Kanata to the CEGEP de l’Outaouais in Gatineau and La Cité Collégiale on Ottawa’s east side. The other NBL Canada governors voted in July 2014 to remove the SkyHawks franchise owned by Bytown Sports & Entertainment Group.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/basketball/ottawa-on-schedule-of-first-canadian-basketball-league-team

phil235
Oct 27, 2015, 4:48 AM
Another pro-basketball team for Ottawa. Rumours were that Dave Smart and Leo Rautins wanted to bring an Ottawa team back to the NBLC. Perhaps they've decided on the Canadian Basketball League instead.

I have more confidence in the CBL than the NBLC. The President, Butch Carter, is a former NBA coach, is well connected and respected, and knows basketball. I wish this league luck.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/basketball/ottawa-on-schedule-of-first-canadian-basketball-league-team

To have any chance of success they need to play at TD Place, but it may be a challenge getting the dates they want.

Radster
Oct 27, 2015, 2:04 PM
I already have my tickets for the semi-final and final. I can't wait!!!

There are rumours floating around that there will be a huge announcement during the Grey Cup indicating the start of a new 1st division soccer league in Canada being organized by both the CFL and the CSA. The rumours were mentioned during an episode of the "Ours is the Fury" podcast.

Considering OSEG's association to the CFL through the Red Blacks, it would be interesting if Ottawa Fury FC would become one of the founding teams of the new league.

Also, this new Canadian soccer league would begin in 2017, meaning that the Fury would still be playing in the NASL next season.

rocketphish
Aug 1, 2017, 11:37 AM
New Rideau Tennis Club owners to bring more sports to 105-year-old facility
Rideau Sports Centre vows to respect club's 'storied past' after sale announced Monday

By Matthew Kupfer, CBC News
Posted: Aug 01, 2017 6:48 AM ET Last Updated: Aug 01, 2017 6:48 AM ET

The new owners of Ottawa's historic Rideau Tennis Club say they'll be bringing new sports to the 105-year-old facility while also vowing to honour the club's "storied past."

On Monday, the RA Centre announced they had sold the club on the banks of the Rideau River to a "new organization" called the Rideau Sports Centre.

Its CEO, Nicki Bridgland, founded the Ottawa Sports and Social Club, which oversees dozens of sports leagues around the city.

"This new organization is going to respect the storied past of the Rideau Tennis Club," Bridgland told CBC News.

She's working with advisers in the tennis community and architect Barry Padolsky, himself a club member, to look at how to update the facility as it opens up to more public use and new sports, she said.

The RA Centre, which has run the club since 2004, said a change in the tennis market over the last decade made it difficult to make money at the facility.

But Bridgland said there's high demand for sports facilities in Ottawa.

"I think the key here is introducing a diversity of sport, while maintaining tennis at the facility. But introducing other sports, so that there are really different demographics that we're tapping into and providing innovative and varied programming for all demographics."

Bridgland also said the revamped and re-named Rideau Sports Centre will include a new restaurant and patios that will be open to the public.

Neither party would disclose the value of the deal for the lease, which is on land owned by the National Capital Commission.

Founded in 1912, the club has 19 outdoor tennis courts in the summer and eight hard courts open during the winter under two air domes.

Members have been on edge about the fate of the tennis club since earlier this summer, when management delayed a pair of meetings.

Marc O'Sullivan, who has been a member for almost a decade, attended a meeting for members about the sale. He's worried changes will eliminate the programs that brought tennis fans to the facility, he said.

"My hope is that the new owners will try to have not only have tennis courts available, but have clinics, tournaments, leagues that will provide the sort of dynamic environment for all the tennis fans that are here today," he said.

But some club members are saying this may mark the end of an era for a community with decades-old friendships, he added.

"It's a parting of ways in many instances," O'Sullivan said. "People will spread out to existing clubs according to where they live and there will be a lot of lost friendships."

The centre will be a community hub, acting as an anchor for recreational activities along the Rideau River, Bridgland said.

"This property is an under-utilized place in the heart of the city. We really want to make it a landmark of the city, open to everyone," she said.

Partnerships with leagues and tennis tournaments, such as this week's Roman Cup Memorial Tournament, may change after the facility is renovated, she added.

"As far as tournaments and existing programming, it will look different than it has for the past number of decades," Bridgland said. "Tennis is here and it's here to stay. It's not going to be shifted off the facility. I have a commitment to maintaining tennis."

The club will offer winter tennis this year under one dome. The other dome will be converted to a multi-sport facility that could be used for volleyball, basketball, indoor soccer and floor hockey.

Renovations will begin Aug. 22, and Bridgland said the RA Centre will accommodate interrupted memberships.

There will also be discounts for members who want to join the Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club, she said.

The Rideau Sports Centre will hold meetings with the community in September and is expected to open in October, Bridgland said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/rideau-tennis-club-sold-monday-1.4229793

Jamaican-Phoenix
Dec 13, 2018, 1:45 PM
I feel this thread should be updated with news about the Ottawa Fury and their being booted from the USL... :/

Acajack
Dec 13, 2018, 2:00 PM
I feel this thread should be updated with news about the Ottawa Fury and their being booted from the USL... :/

That's significant news for sure. Though they're not being booted from the USL. The USL actually wants to keep them.

It's CONCACAF (the FIFA-affiliated governing body for this part of the world) that says the Ottawa Fury can't play in the USL any more.

JHikka
Dec 13, 2018, 2:04 PM
Yep. In all likelihood it seems like the Fury don't play next year. It's possible they slip into CPL for 2019 but it's going to be a tight, messy transition if so.

lrt's friend
Dec 13, 2018, 3:21 PM
Yep. In all likelihood it seems like the Fury don't play next year. It's possible they slip into CPL for 2019 but it's going to be a tight, messy transition if so.

For any professional sports franchise, skipping a year will be devastating. The team will lose all or most of its personnel and players. This is something to avoid.

McC
Dec 13, 2018, 4:23 PM
The team will lose all or most of its personnel and players.
Soccer's a bit different because of the widespread practice of clubs loaning out players to other clubs; but yes, this would be terrible for the Fury.

Acajack
Dec 13, 2018, 6:20 PM
Are CONCACAF really that inflexible? In that there is no negotiation possible?

Radster
Dec 13, 2018, 8:54 PM
Lawyers are getting involved, so this story is just the beginning. Would be nice to know WHY CONCACAF is kicking them out.

JHikka
Dec 13, 2018, 8:55 PM
Lawyers are getting involved, so this story is just the beginning. Would be nice to know WHY CONCACAF is kicking them out.

Because they're not playing in Canada's top division and CONCACAF don't see a good enough reason why not. Exceptions can be made for the MLS teams as they're still competing at the top level in the US, but for Ottawa to rather play in USL (2nd division) instead of CPL (Canada 1st division) is probably not enough for CONCACAF...

There's going to be more to this story i'd imagine. Something's up.

citydwlr
Dec 14, 2018, 12:22 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuVYsNgVYAABSOJ.jpg:large
[Source (https://twitter.com/ManuelVeth/status/1073362007305347072)]

J.OT13
Dec 14, 2018, 1:16 AM
I'm very confused with what's happening. I didn't understand why they switched leagues (last year?) in the first place. Jumping from league to league doesn't help attract long-term fans. Professional soccer seems very unstable. Seems very corrupt too.

kevinbottawa
Dec 14, 2018, 3:52 AM
The fact that Victor Montagliani, the President of CONCACAF, is the former president of the Canadian Soccer Association and an advocate for the CPL is suspect. The guy is using his position to strong arm the Fury into the CPL.

JHikka
Dec 14, 2018, 2:00 PM
The fact that Victor Montagliani, the President of CONCACAF, is the former president of the Canadian Soccer Association and an advocate for the CPL is suspect. The guy is using his position to strong arm the Fury into the CPL.

CONCACAF's statement from last night dictates that neither the CSA nor the Fury submitted formal applications for Fury to play in USL for 2019. Could have been the CSA doing nothing or the USSF doing nothing.

citydwlr
Dec 23, 2018, 3:06 PM
Just to close the loop on this one - the Fury are back in the USL for 2019:

WE'RE BACK | UPDATE ON FURY FC SANCTIONING
By Ottawa Fury FC, 12/21/18, 1:10PM EST

Ottawa Fury FC was today informed by Canada Soccer that it has now been sanctioned by CONCACAF, the governing body for soccer in North America, to play in the United Soccer League (USL) in 2019, subject to approval by FIFA, soccer’s international governing body. Notification was provided to Canada Soccer after Fury FC sought urgent relief from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to permit the team to play in the USL after its sanctioning had been brought into question by CONCACAF. With confirmation that CONCACAF sanctioning has been received, there is no longer any need for the urgent relief from CAS.

“Now that we’re sanctioned by CONCACAF, the US Soccer Federation and Canada Soccer to play in USL Championship in 2019, we will accelerate preparations for the 2019 season,” said Mark Goudie, President and CEO of Ottawa Fury FC’s parent company, the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG). “Too much negative energy has already been expended on this. I hope that we (starting with me) can now get back to supporting Canadian soccer and each other, regardless of what level or pitch we play on or badge we wear… except for the two-hour period we might play against each other, of course.”

nPFXPAGdly4

Goudie added: “Julian (Ottawa Fury FC GM Julian de Guzman) can now get back to completing our roster for 2019 and we look forward to our mission to bring playoff soccer back to Ottawa come next fall.”

[Source: https://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news_article/show/978696]

J.OT13
Dec 23, 2018, 3:29 PM
It's really bad that CONCACAF tried to kick us out of our currently league to force us into the Canadian league, but I don't understand why Fury management/ownership fought so hard to stick with the U.S. only league.

JHikka
Dec 23, 2018, 3:40 PM
It's really bad that CONCACAF tried to kick us out of our currently league to force us into the Canadian league, but I don't understand why Fury management/ownership fought so hard to stick with the U.S. only league.

CONCACAF's moves were a reminder to OFFC that they won't be able to play in USL in 2020. 2019 is their last year in USL. The past few weeks were a bit of a kick in the pants to keep them in line.

Why OFFC are so against CPL is another question entirely. Rumour is the OFFC folk were doing a lot of behind-the-door bad mouthing of the CPL in the lead up. Apparently when CPL was being planned in 2016 OFFC's plans were wait until that CPL thing collapses and keep playing in US.

It sure sounds like OFFC would rather fold than play in CPL which is...very odd to say the least. I can see why they don't want to move to CPL for 2019 (cost mitigation) but in the long term the CPL is the better league for them. They've been treading water for three years now in US leagues with nothing to show for it.

Nepean
Dec 25, 2018, 4:06 PM
*snip*

It sure sounds like OFFC would rather fold than play in CPL which is...very odd to say the least. I can see why they don't want to move to CPL for 2019 (cost mitigation) but in the long term the CPL is the better league for them. They've been treading water for three years now in US leagues with nothing to show for it.

I do not share this point of view. The Fury decided to stay in the USL for many reasons, most of which are economic.

To put things in perspective, current CFL expansion fees are estimated to be $9 to $10 million CDN. (RedBlacks paid about CDN$7 million). Existing USL expansion fees are around US$7 million which works out to roughly CDN$9.5 million. The Fury therefore are a valuable property for OSEG. If they leave the USL they would be risking losing this investment. It is much wiser to take a wait-and-see approach on how the new Canadian league works out, as it is far from certain that they will be viable in the long run.

Then there is the fact that the new Canadian league has a much lower salary cap and fewer benefits (e.g. less help with housing) than USL. As such, I heard that Fury player themselves were not in favour of joining the CPL because it would mean less money and benefits for them.

A lot of soccer fans were disappointed that the Fury decided to stay in the USL. As a season ticket holder from day one, however, I fully support managements decision to stay in the USL. It was not only the responsible choice from a business perspective, but also better for the players, coaches, and other staff.

AuxTown
Dec 25, 2018, 5:46 PM
Another season seat holder here. I agree with staying in the USL short term, and possibly long term if the CPL doesn't pan out. Unfortunately, the success of a league like the CPL might depend on the presence of a team like Ottawa with a nice facility and a decent fan base. In terms of soccer quality there is no question that the USL will provide a better on-field product in the near term.

J.OT13
Dec 26, 2018, 2:38 PM
This better explains the Fury's position, thank you.

J.OT13
Jan 29, 2019, 5:26 PM
OSEG and Champions announce strategic partnership

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JANUARY 29, 2019

OTTAWA - The Ottawa Champions professional baseball club and the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG) today announced a strategic partnership to drive ticket sales and corporate sponsorships for the baseball team. OSEG, with its deep roots within the Ottawa community, will assist the Champions in establishing new relationships with Ottawa-Gatineau sports fans and businesses.

Champions owner Miles Wolff commented: “We are extremely pleased to have this association with OSEG, one of the top sports organizations in Canada. Their confidence in the Champions will further strengthen the long-term viability of our organization in the market.”

OSEG owns and operates the Ottawa REDBLACKS football club (CFL), Ottawa Fury FC soccer club (USL) and the Ottawa 67’s hockey club (OHL). The organization also manages TD Place and Lansdowne Park in partnership with the City of Ottawa. The REDBLACKS have been tremendously successful, both on the field and in attendance, since they debuted in 2014, winning the Grey Cup in 2016 and playing in two other championship games in their 5 seasons of existence. The 67’s are one of the top Junior teams in Canada and Fury FC is Canada’s only team in USL Championship, the fastest growing division 2 soccer league in the world.

A member of the independent Can-Am League, the Champions are starting their fifth season in Ottawa. The 2016 league champions, the club has welcomed over 450,000 fans in its first four seasons of operation.

Adrian Sciarra, OSEG’s senior vice president for sports business operations, commented: “We’re happy to help the Champions expand their footprint in the Ottawa-Gatineau sports market. Live sporting events are a fun outing for friends and families, and we’ll help get the word out that Champions’ baseball is a great summertime entertainment option.”

Champions season tickets and flex packs for the 2019 season are now available at OttawaChampions.com. The team’s home opener is May 17, the first of a 4-game series against the New Jersey Jackals.

https://mailchi.mp/oseg/oseg-champions-strategic-partnership-20190129

J.OT13
Jan 29, 2019, 5:26 PM
Hoping the opening of Line 1 will help boost the Champion's attendance.

phil235
Jan 29, 2019, 6:01 PM
Hoping the opening of Line 1 will help boost the Champion's attendance.

I would think it will. The pedestrian link over the highway is essentially perfect for people going to the stadium.

J.OT13
Jan 30, 2019, 5:02 PM
Puzzled why they built that bridge just before the Transitway shut down. Usage must have been crazy low the first few years.

JHikka
Jan 30, 2019, 5:03 PM
Puzzled why they built that bridge just before the Transitway shut down. Usage must have been crazy low the first few years.

Don't think i've ever seen anyone use it. At least now the 1 Line will provide some connectivity for those not driving to Champions games.

phil235
Jan 30, 2019, 7:20 PM
Don't think i've ever seen anyone use it. At least now the 1 Line will provide some connectivity for those not driving to Champions games.

I've used it a few times going to/from St. Laurent by bike, as I was going to the eye doctor and couldn't drive afterwards. I know, I know. Incidentally, I saw people on it each time (at least I think they were people).

There are nice bike lanes on Coventry that connect up to it now. Once the paths on the train station side are reconnected following construction, I expect that you'll see more cyclists in addition to LRT passengers.

kevinbottawa
Jan 30, 2019, 8:31 PM

My family and I use it to walk from Vanier to Walmart/Trainyards. But I've only seen two or so people use it at the same time we're using it.

CityTech
Jan 30, 2019, 11:05 PM
I've used it a few times going to/from St. Laurent by bike, as I was going to the eye doctor and couldn't drive afterwards. I know, I know. Incidentally, I saw people on it each time (at least I think they were people).

There are nice bike lanes on Coventry that connect up to it now. Once the paths on the train station side are reconnected following construction, I expect that you'll see more cyclists in addition to LRT passengers.

I was around there and I noticed that while both Coventry and Tremblay have bike lanes/paths, the bridge on Belfast has none. Talk about a gap fail...

acottawa
Jan 30, 2019, 11:37 PM
I was around there and I noticed that while both Coventry and Tremblay have bike lanes/paths, the bridge on Belfast has none. Talk about a gap fail...

There are two bicycle crossings of the highway within 50m.

LeadingEdgeBoomer
Jan 31, 2019, 3:39 PM
University of Ottawa partners with NCAFA to create Junior Gee-Gees Summer Elite Teams

Jan 30, 2019
OTTAWA, ON - uOttawa Sports Services announced Wednesday it will partner with the National Capital Amateur Football Association (NCAFA) in the creation of two Summer Elite Teams (S.E.T.). Beginning this year, both the U15 and U17 teams will be branded as the NCAFA Junior Gee-Gees.
This multi-year partnership connects two long-standing football institutions in the National Capital Region in hopes of further promoting and supporting high-level youth football in the Ottawa area.
Throughout NCAFA's 50+ year history, their member clubs have produced countless Gee-Gees athletes, alumni, and coaches. With this new agreement, the University of Ottawa continues to foster amateur sport by giving area youth access to top facilities and experience in a collegiate football setting.
The NCAFA Junior Gee-Gees will call Gee-Gees Field and uOttawa's Lees Campus home for games and practices in the 2019 season.
The Junior Gee-Gees teams will be comprised of the top 88 players aged 13-16 from NCAFA's 14 member clubs that span the City of Ottawa, Gatineau, and Cornwall, as well as some outlying areas. The S.E.T. teams will play up to five exhibition games against teams in Ontario and Quebec, with their season culminating in the three game tournament formally known as the Spalding Cup, annually held in Montreal in early July.
"The S.E.T. program is designed to expose Ottawa area kids to a high level of coaching while giving them a tremendous football experience", stated Steve Dean, President of NCAFA. "We will be playing top opponents from Quebec with the objective to educate all our players on the right path to take to get to the next level. The program will be comprised of many facets other than football to assist in maximizing the overall development of each player. Partnering with uOttawa Gee-Gees Football Program is our first win of the season."
The Gee-Gees football team, established in 1881, is one of the longest-running collegiate football programs in North America, and one of the most successful in U SPORTS. With the creation of the NCAFA Junior Gee-Gees banner, elite young athletes have the opportunity to come together to suit up in the Gee-Gees' classic garnet and grey while representing their respective teams across the area.
"uOttawa is very excited to partner with NCAFA in the creation of the Junior Gee-Gees program," said Michel Guilbeault, Associate Vice-President, Student Life at uOttawa.
"The NCAFA Junior Gee-Gees is a great opportunity to further promote the Gee-Gees brand and football legacy in the National Capital Region. We hope to see many Junior Gee-Gees become full-fledged uOttawa Gee-Gees in the years to come."

J.OT13
Feb 9, 2019, 3:18 PM
Spin off of the OSEG/Champions partnership, LeDroit article seems to suggest OSEG might purchase the team within the next year.

I'd like to see a Lansdowne type development around Lynx Stadium. Although the area isn't a well established urban neighborhood like the Glebe, the stadium has (or will have at some point in time) access to the Confederation Line.

https://www.ledroit.com/sports/champions/les-champions-et-loseg-unissent-leurs-forces-9e20a5942d72854bea05164e688d29a4

JHikka
Feb 9, 2019, 6:35 PM
I'd like to see a Lansdowne type development around Lynx Stadium. Although the area isn't a well established urban neighborhood like the Glebe, the stadium has (or will have at some point in time) access to the Confederation Line.

I'm not sure if there's enough space available but they should consider moving the Fury to RCGT Park and get them away from having 20K empty seats every other week at Lansdowne. Would be interesting to see OSEG pick up another sport location to divide their teams with.

You're right that RCGT has potential for some Lansdowne-type redevelopment but it seems a bit hemmed in by the hotels to the West and retail to the East, as well as Coventry being less conducive for pedestrians than Bank. At least it's on an LRT line, unlike Lansdowne...:whistle:

lrt's friend
Feb 9, 2019, 7:35 PM
I'm not sure if there's enough space available but they should consider moving the Fury to RCGT Park and get them away from having 20K empty seats every other week at Lansdowne. Would be interesting to see OSEG pick up another sport location to divide their teams with.

You're right that RCGT has potential for some Lansdowne-type redevelopment but it seems a bit hemmed in by the hotels to the West and retail to the East, as well as Coventry being less conducive for pedestrians than Bank. At least it's on an LRT line, unlike Lansdowne...:whistle:

The baseball park is not well designed for soccer.

I think you would see smaller crowds for Soccer at Lynx stadium, which is really isolated compared to Lansdowne. At least Lansdowne is very urban with lots of restaurants in the immediate area. I don't think soccer fans will want to eat at the neighbouring hotels.

JHikka
Feb 9, 2019, 7:42 PM
The baseball park is not well designed for soccer.

I think you would see smaller crowds for Soccer at Lynx stadium, which is really isolated compared to Lansdowne. At least Lansdowne is very urban with lots of restaurants in the immediate area. I don't think soccer fans will want to eat at the neighbouring hotels.

I agree in general, which is why you would consider the Lansdowne-type development I mentioned in my post. It's a stretch and certainly fantasy at this point, but Fury are simply treading water at Lansdowne and likely will be for the foreseeable future.

kevinbottawa
Feb 9, 2019, 11:22 PM
Spin off of the OSEG/Champions partnership, LeDroit article seems to suggest OSEG might purchase the team within the next year.

https://www.ledroit.com/sports/champions/les-champions-et-loseg-unissent-leurs-forces-9e20a5942d72854bea05164e688d29a4

Aside from the redevelopment potential noted above, I imagine they're interested in a Blue Jays AA affiliate. If I remember correctly the Jays were interested a few years ago but the lack of LRT and the costly stadium improvements were a problem for the City.

J.OT13
Feb 10, 2019, 2:04 PM
It would be great to have a AA (or better yet AAA) Blue Jays affiliate. Much more attractive to watch a team associated with a Canadian major league team, as were the Lynx when they were the Expos farm team, than the unknown minor leagues we've had over the last decade or so.

I terms of a potential Lansdowne model, of course it will never be on quite the same scale. The stadium itself is much smaller and only has dates during the summer. For now, we can start by filling in the parking lot between the hotels and stadium with condo towers and ground-floor retail. Maybe have a lower scale "main street" between the stadium and new condos from the Max Keeping Bridge to Coventry lined with restaurants and bars.

With time, development could grow from the stadium heading east and St-Laurent heading west creating a community anchored by two rapid transit stations.

The City selling the parking lots for big box developments was a big mistake and will slow down the march of condos, but we can get there eventually. At that point, it MIGHT actually be bigger than Lansdowne. Just have to make sure it's a continuous community, and not just a series of "campus" type tower developments.

MountainView
Mar 20, 2019, 10:55 PM
This article says that some sort of professional Rugby team may be coming to Ottawa in 2020. In a partnership with OSEG. I would be interested if anyone cab provide more information, as my rugby knowledge is limited.

Article: Plans for overseas destination of rugby league's latest franchise club announced (https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/plans-new-destination-rugby-leagues-2668724)

:cheers:

JHikka
Mar 21, 2019, 1:59 AM
That's interesting. The previous rumour was to have Hemel relocate to either Hamilton or Boston.

Interested to see what this means for the Fury. Wondering if OSEG can have all three playing simultaneously through the summer. Fury's future is....up in the air at this point.

rocketphish
Apr 8, 2019, 11:53 PM
Ontario to legalize tailgate parties; amendment to be introduced in budget
Ottawa Senators defenceman Mark Borowiecki welcomed the plan. 'I think this new tailgating law is great,' he said. 'Hockey should be fun'

The Canadian Press
Updated: April 8, 2019

TORONTO — Sports fans in Ontario will soon be able to have a drink and tailgate before a game.

Government House Leader Todd Smith said the Progressive Conservatives will provide more details on the proposal to legalize tailgate parties — normally held in the parking lot of a sporting venue before a game — when the provincial budget is unveiled Thursday.

Smith said the changes will legalize the practice often seen at sporting events in the United States.

“We think that people in Ontario should be given the opportunity to be treated like adults and I think it would be kind of fun,” he said. “We’ve been talking about it for years and years and years and no government has ever given us the opportunity to engage in a good old fashioned tailgate.”

Tailgating parties will be made possible by amending a regulation that sets out the terms for special occasion liquor permits.

Any parking lot or venue within a reasonable distance from a major sports complex, such as Toronto’s Rogers Centre or Scotiabank Arena, would be able to apply for the permit.

Permit holders would also be able to sell alcohol on their property.

“It’s going to be up to individual teams and whether or not they want to partake in this type of festivity,” Smith said. “It’s a lot of fun. People behave responsibly. We just believe that Ontario is ready for this as well.”

Ottawa Senators defenceman Mark Borowiecki welcomed the plan.

“I think this new tailgating law is great,” he said. “Hockey should be fun.”

The opposition parties, however, questioned the timing of the announcement, which comes one day after thousands of teachers and supporters descended on the legislature over the weekend to protest education changes, including larger high school class sizes.

NDP deputy leader John Vanthof said the government shouldn’t be spending time changing legislation around tailgating when many other crucial files need attention.

“I don’t know if it’s a bad idea, but should they be looking at it as one of their priorities?” he said. “Are they actually looking at it as something they want to do or are they just using it as a decoy from the real issues that people in this province are actually facing?”

Interim Liberal leader John Fraser said the government should be focused on health care and education right now.

“I’m not sure whether this is a tactic to divert the public’s attention away from those really important things,” he said. “It’s just interesting in advance of the budget. If the government wants to bring this forward, that’s great. It’s not a budget item.”

— with files from Lisa Wallace.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/canada/ontario-to-legalize-tailgating-amendment-to-be-introduced-in-budget/wcm/b2d3ba86-f304-4508-b595-a23aa15a41fc

AuxTown
Apr 9, 2019, 3:38 AM
....Borowiecki went on to say that "any team that keeps me as a top 4 D man is going to have to have fans that are REALLY drunk"

Lakeofthewood
May 30, 2019, 5:11 PM
Rather disappointing to see that there appear to have been no discussions on Ottawa setting up a 'Jurassic Park' viewing area for the Raptors in the NBA finals. Numerous other cities across Canada are doing it: https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/canadian-cities-set-up-jurassic-parks-for-fans-to-watch-raptors-playoff-run-1.4442209

Not sure the best place for it (and maybe it was discussed internally at the city) but Lansdowne would be one that jumps out

OTSkyline
May 30, 2019, 5:29 PM
Sparks St comes to mind... They've shown Senators game before I believe and have had movie nights there on large screens.

Yet everyone is still scratching their heads on how to animate Sparks... :runaway:

J.OT13
May 30, 2019, 5:42 PM
The crappy Scotiabank Theatre in Gloucester will host a viewing party as part of the Cineplex/MLSE partnership. Too bad Cineplex Lansdowne wasn't included in this deal.

https://www.cineplex.com/Movie/raptors-viewing-party-warriors-at-raptors

It's too bad we couldn't do something on Sparks or the Market. Or even at one of the abandoned theaters downtown (Place de Ville or Rideau). Or even the Rideau Centre terrace with the game projected on the Convention Centre's big blank wall.

J.OT13
Jun 9, 2019, 11:32 AM
Couple Raptors viewing parties here and there this weekend. Mostly bars setting them up outside in parking lots.

Ottawa Markets was offered a screen for Byward (https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=8594716&postcount=426), but they turned it down, saying "organizers want to see how the daytime activities play out before adding events in the evening." Fair enough, they don't need to attract more people to the area in the evening.

However, OSEG and the City are always complaining about losing money on Lansdowne and say they want more activities to attract people outside regularly scheduled events; well there's a lost opportunity! They could have set up a screen on the "Great" Lawn, or Horticulture or Aberdeen, they could have opened up the Civic Centre or the Stadium, project the game on the big screen just sitting there. Same goes with Sparks Street. I'm sick of hearing these people complain if they're not taking advantage of something this obvious!!

Catenary
Jun 10, 2019, 2:48 PM
Couple Raptors viewing parties here and there this weekend. Mostly bars setting them up outside in parking lots.

Ottawa Markets was offered a screen for Byward (https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=8594716&postcount=426), but they turned it down, saying "organizers want to see how the daytime activities play out before adding events in the evening." Fair enough, they don't need to attract more people to the area in the evening.

However, OSEG and the City are always complaining about losing money on Lansdowne and say they want more activities to attract people outside regularly scheduled events; well there's a lost opportunity! They could have set up a screen on the "Great" Lawn, or Horticulture or Aberdeen, they could have opened up the Civic Centre or the Stadium, project the game on the big screen just sitting there. Same goes with Sparks Street. I'm sick of hearing these people complain if they're not taking advantage of something this obvious!!

You clearly didn't spend at time at Lansdowne over the weekend. June, July and August are when Lansdowne is actually busy, there's limited capacity to add more. Every space on site was used for something over this past weekend, and it was busiest Friday night. The arena hosted Volleyball Nations League Friday-Sunday and Aberdeen had 613 Flea Friday night and Saturday including a night market Friday evening. Horticulture Building had a fundraising concert Friday night, wedding Saturday night and pop-up market Sunday. The regular Farmer's market ran Sunday, and Red Bull held a basketball tournament Saturday on the court in the park. There was a touch football event on the stadium field Friday, as well as regular practices. On top of all of this, the restaurants were packed for the Raptors game on Friday night. Horticulture Building is booked again every day this week, and setup in Aberdeen Square for the OIFFA began last night. Volleyball teardown will take a couple of days to complete, and then there's prep for the next Fury Game, Redblacks Game and Escapade.

The demand to animate the site comes from a desire to ensure the commercial tenants remain busy and viable. When they're already busy, there's little need or desire to add more. Any "Jurassic Park" event on site risks stealing people from the restaurants, the opposite of its desired effect.

J.OT13
Jun 11, 2019, 1:23 AM
Wow, impressive. You work for OSEG?

Fridays and Saturdays are quite busy, I'm sure. But some of the games were weeknights and Sundays. Sparks and Lansdowne could be co-venues for Jurassic Park or other such events. Lansdowne is dead during the week, Sparks during the weekend. Perfect balance.

I know it's not that simple (though many other cities have done it), but still provides food for thought.

Acajack
Jun 11, 2019, 1:25 AM
I am not really a big basketball fan, but I am interested in all sports as sociological phenomenon.

I've been quite surprised that a Jurassic Park style space has not been set up in Ottawa. Given that they have them in Vancouver and Saint John NB.

harls
Jun 11, 2019, 2:36 AM
There was one, I thought. In the market, not far from where that recent shooting occurred.

Acajack
Jun 11, 2019, 2:42 AM
There was one, I thought. In the market, not far from where that recent shooting occurred.

OK maybe? On the radio this afternoon they were saying the only outdoor viewing in the capital region was in Almonte, birthplace of James Naismith.

Of course, plenty of bars are showing the game. As are some cinemas.

phil235
Jun 11, 2019, 2:46 AM
OK maybe? On the radio this afternoon they were saying the only outdoor viewing in the capital region was in Almonte, birthplace of James Naismith.

Of course, plenty of bars are showing the game. As are some cinemas.

They had an outdoor viewing area with a big screen at Beyond the Pale. It drew a couple of hundred people.

YOWflier
Jun 11, 2019, 12:51 PM
You'd have a hard time paying me enough to watch a game in a Jurassic park type of environment. No thanks.

Catenary
Jun 11, 2019, 2:20 PM
You'd have a hard time paying me enough to watch a game in a Jurassic park type of environment. No thanks.

Paying for it is the issue in general. It's tough to find a space that wants to foot the bill, and if government did it, there would be cries that they were stealing customers from nearby restaurants.

Acajack
Jun 11, 2019, 3:15 PM
Paying for it is the issue in general. It's tough to find a space that wants to foot the bill, and if government did it, there would be cries that they were stealing customers from nearby restaurants.

In most places in Canada it appears to be the cities footing the bill for the local Jurassic Park set-ups.

Though the one in Montreal last night was made possible by the Grand Prix du Canada organization which agreed to leave their "stuff" out and available for an extra day.

And the City of Montreal agreed to allow the street closure for an extra evening as well.

rocketphish
Oct 3, 2019, 1:35 AM
City mulls closing aging urban rinks
Single-pad arenas could be on chopping block as ice rentals plummet

Matthew Kupfer · CBC News
Posted: Oct 02, 2019 11:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 10 hours ago

The City of Ottawa is considering closing or repurposing some single-pad rinks — mostly aging arenas in the urban core — because of a drastic drop in ice rental.

Single-pad arenas built in the 1950s and 1960s have outdated change rooms and other facilities, and are more costly to maintain because they require staff and equipment that could be put to better use at newer, multi-pad arenas, the city said.

"We ... need to look at closing single-pad arenas or repurposing them and moving to a multi-pad configuration so when we build new, we will be building double-pad or four-pad arenas," Dan Chenier, general manager of the city's recreation, cultural and facility services department, told an advisory committee Tuesday evening.

He said single-pad rinks in the urban core are more likely to be targets for closure because rinks in rural areas also tend to be community hubs, and are often the only city facility in the area.

From 2014 to 2018, arena rentals at the city's 44 ice pads fell by 10,000 hours, Chenier said.

"We need to address that, that we have a declining demand and a supply that has continued to increase. We need to adjust that to meet what we need," he said.

Linda Tremblay, director of community programs, said staff haven't yet arrived at a number of rinks to be closed, or decided which ones might be on the chopping block.

She said the city is waiting to consult residents to figure out why the decline is happening.

"We want to hear what happened," Tremblay said. "We do have some proof that we have some older adult leagues, some men's leagues, that will pay more at the private ice because it's at a better time now."

As well as competition from private and university rinks, changing demographics and a general drop in hockey enrollment may be contributing factors, she said.

When the time comes to close arenas, Tremblay said staff will weigh each one against the five nearest facilities, and will ask the community for feedback on other possible uses for the buildings.

The city's community and protective services committee will receive the staff proposal next month.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-city-arenas-rental-decline-1.5305361

LeadingEdgeBoomer
Oct 6, 2019, 12:30 PM
City mulls closing aging urban rinks
Single-pad arenas could be on chopping block as ice rentals plummet

Matthew Kupfer · CBC News
Posted: Oct 02, 2019 11:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 10 hours ago

The City of Ottawa is considering closing or repurposing some single-pad rinks — mostly aging arenas in the urban core — because of a drastic drop in ice rental.

Single-pad arenas built in the 1950s and 1960s have outdated change rooms and other facilities, and are more costly to maintain because they require staff and equipment that could be put to better use at newer, multi-pad arenas, the city said.

"We ... need to look at closing single-pad arenas or repurposing them and moving to a multi-pad configuration so when we build new, we will be building double-pad or four-pad arenas," Dan Chenier, general manager of the city's recreation, cultural and facility services department, told an advisory committee Tuesday evening.

He said single-pad rinks in the urban core are more likely to be targets for closure because rinks in rural areas also tend to be community hubs, and are often the only city facility in the area.

From 2014 to 2018, arena rentals at the city's 44 ice pads fell by 10,000 hours, Chenier said.

"We need to address that, that we have a declining demand and a supply that has continued to increase. We need to adjust that to meet what we need," he said.

Linda Tremblay, director of community programs, said staff haven't yet arrived at a number of rinks to be closed, or decided which ones might be on the chopping block.

She said the city is waiting to consult residents to figure out why the decline is happening.

"We want to hear what happened," Tremblay said. "We do have some proof that we have some older adult leagues, some men's leagues, that will pay more at the private ice because it's at a better time now."

As well as competition from private and university rinks, changing demographics and a general drop in hockey enrollment may be contributing factors, she said.

When the time comes to close arenas, Tremblay said staff will weigh each one against the five nearest facilities, and will ask the community for feedback on other possible uses for the buildings.

The city's community and protective services committee will receive the staff proposal next month.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-city-arenas-rental-decline-1.5305361

Closing single pad arenas!! It is likely then that the old Sandy Hill Arena is on the chopping block. That makes it more likely that uOttawa will get that piece of land to build their new major athletic facility. The uni has been negotiating to get it for some time.

J.OT13
Oct 6, 2019, 2:37 PM
Closing single pad arenas!! It is likely then that the old Sandy Hill Arena is on the chopping block. That makes it more likely that uOttawa will get that piece of land to build their new major athletic facility. The uni has been negotiating to get it for some time.

That would be a win ultimately. Tom Brown is another that could be demolished to make way for something more appropriate, such as TOD at the nexus of our rail network. Outside of those two rinks, I don't believe any other should be shut-down.

rocketphish
Nov 8, 2019, 12:10 AM
Ottawa Fury expected to suspend operations

Tim Baines, Postmedia
Updated: November 7, 2019

What has been a bad week for The Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group keeps getting worse.

It’s expected that OSEG will announce at a Friday morning press conference that the Ottawa Fury FC will suspend operations.

Fury FC began as a North American League expansion franchise in 2014, then joined the United Soccer League in 2017.

Prior to the 2019 USL season, governing body CONCACAF refused to sanction Fury FC, trying to pressure them into joining the Canadian Premier League in its inaugural season.

Fury FC finally got its sanction after appealing.

It seems likely those issues with CONCACAF lingered.

More to come.

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/breaking-ottawa-fury-to-suspend-operations

Radster
Nov 8, 2019, 2:43 PM
Ottawa Fury expected to suspend operations

Tim Baines, Postmedia
Updated: November 7, 2019

What has been a bad week for The Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group keeps getting worse.

It’s expected that OSEG will announce at a Friday morning press conference that the Ottawa Fury FC will suspend operations.

Fury FC began as a North American League expansion franchise in 2014, then joined the United Soccer League in 2017.

Prior to the 2019 USL season, governing body CONCACAF refused to sanction Fury FC, trying to pressure them into joining the Canadian Premier League in its inaugural season.

Fury FC finally got its sanction after appealing.

It seems likely those issues with CONCACAF lingered.

More to come.

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/breaking-ottawa-fury-to-suspend-operations

Rumour I heard is that they will suspend operations for one season, and return the following season under a new ownership group, to the CPL. Ottawans will be much more interested in seeing their team play against teams from other Canadian cities, and witness these new rivalries being created, instead of watching their team play against teams from American cities they have never heard of and have no connection to. So, with a new ownership group, and playing in the growing CPL league, I think attendance will get a boost. I hope this rumour is will materialise into reality!!

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 8, 2019, 3:40 PM
So OSEG will no longer have a stake in the soccer team?

JHikka
Nov 8, 2019, 4:17 PM
So OSEG will no longer have a stake in the soccer team?

It remains to be seen whether Ottawa's CPL team will be operated by OSEG or not. It's been mostly confirmed that there's another ownership group in Ottawa interested in CPL.

rocketphish
Nov 8, 2019, 5:40 PM
OSEG to put an end to Ottawa Fury FC soccer club

Don Campbell, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: November 8, 2019

Professional soccer in Ottawa is dead.

It will be for the foreseeable future. And maybe longer. A lot longer.

The Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG) will announce this morning that it has pulled the plug on its Ottawa Fury franchise in the United Soccer League, according to a well-placed source.

The franchise was part for OSEG’s initial major sports plan and first started with an expansion franchise in North American Soccer league way back in 2011. The team began play in 2014, once TD Place was completed and joined fellow tenants the Ottawa Redblacks and Ottawa 67’s. The franchise then joined an even higher league in the USL in 2017.

Hopes were high to sell the sport and make TD Place a year-round venue for the three sports teams. OSEG even tried a women’s Fury team to little financial success.

Instead, the Fury will join the once Ottawa Pioneers/Intrepid on the sidelines, a pro team that played in the Canadian Soccer League from 1987 through 1989. And the prospects of another ownership group talking a chance on pro soccer in Ottawa are slim to none.

The Fury were a financial drain on OSEG, where the Ottawa 67’s might be the only profitable entity among the stable of soccer and the Redblacks, the net loss may be as much as $2 million per season.

OSEG was also facing a second straight fight with CONCACAF, North America’s governing body on soccer, over whether they could even be allowed to continue in the USL, or be forced to play in the lower-tier Canadian Premier League.

OSEG was done with the politics and wasn’t about to pay big bucks to challenge CONCACAF and the appellate body in Lausanne, Switzerland, with a fight they might win but also might prove expensive. That cost might have been $200,000 or more. And why?

CONCACAF wants to make a legacy of a true Canadian league. They are oblivious to all the past failures.

Announced crowds at the Fury games at TD Place were often of 5,000 or more. In reality, no more than 1,500 were in stands on many given nights and afternoons.

Ottawa may be a hot minor soccer community. It just appears parents don’t want to take their kids to minor pro games, even if the tickets are free.

Only the Canadian women’s team on a special visit can draw fans in big numbers.

OSEG will not be back in the pro soccer game. Not ever.

Maybe Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk will want a team in Kanata as he did years ago. But that’s unlikely.

Last off-season was a disaster when CONCACAF tried to pressure the Fury to play in the upstart Canadian Premier League, which just completed its inaugural season.

Free agents the Fury eyed were lost due to the uncertainty and while the club squeezed into the USL playoffs, it lost out in the play-in round on penalty kicks to Charleston on Oct. 23, in what was the beginning of the end.

Within days, head coach Nikola Popovic’s contract was not renewed and that was the first sign the franchise was dead. Popovic came over from former USL championship contender Swope Park (Kansas City) at great expense. He thought he had a mandate to win. He never had a chance.

Things never worked out to the plan the Fury had.

Sadly, the two most emotional people at Friday’s press conference will be Fury FC president John Pugh and GM Julian de Guzman, both great people.

Pugh is heart-and-soul about Ottawa soccer, never mind all the politics. He has lived for pro soccer to succeed in Ottawa.

The accomplished de Guzman only wants to win and promote Canadians, the way he could never experience as a youth.

The pair poured so much into it. They deserved so much better. The two were devastated at the first round playoff loss. They also knew the bigger picture.

And now they are done, though de Guzman will be a force in Canadian soccer for years to come.

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/soccer/mls/ottawa-fury-fc/ottawa-fury-fc-set-to-suspend-operations/wcm/05ac4daf-2bf2-4f84-aa9e-e6c5c6cb6a38

Radster
Nov 8, 2019, 6:05 PM
That Ottawa Citizen article is misleading. Official statement from the Fury uses the word "suspending operations for next season". Nowhere do they say the team is done for good, like the Ottawa Citizen article alludes to. I think there will be lots of backroom talks (between OSEG, Concacaf, CPL, City of Ottawa, new ownership group, etc) over the next months happening with the hopes of bringing the CPL to Ottawa for the 2021 season. Sorry Don Campbell, but I don't appreciate your negative article.

rocketphish
Nov 8, 2019, 6:10 PM
Fury owners blame 'politics' for decision to suspend operations
Team failed to obtain sanctioning from governing bodies

Darren Major · CBC News
Posted: Nov 08, 2019 11:36 AM ET | Last Updated: 6 minutes ago

https://i.cbc.ca/1.5353198.1573231751!/fileImage/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/16x9_780/julian-de-guzman-john-pugh-mark-goudie-nov-8-2019.JPG

The owners of the Ottawa Fury are blaming "politics" for the decision to suspend operations for the 2020 season, after the team failed to obtain sanctioning from governing bodies that oversee the United Soccer League (USL).

In order for a team to play in the USL, they must be sanctioned by three governing bodies: Canada Soccer, the U.S. Soccer Federation and CONCACAF.

The latter is one of FIFA's six continental governing bodies that oversee soccer in North and Central America and the Caribbean.

The team did receive a one-year sanction from Canada Soccer for 2020, but the other two bodies have not indicated they would sanction the team for the upcoming season.

In a statement, Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG) Mark Goudie said he believes the U.S. Soccer Federation and CONCACAF intentionally ran them out of time.

"I think it's apparent that soccer's hierarchy is trying to force Fury FC out of the USL," the statement said.

OSEG is Fury FC's parent company and also owns the Ottawa Redblacks and Ottawa 67's.

John Pugh, an OSEG partner that oversees the Fury, wrote in a letter to fans posted on the team's website that the reason for suspending operations was simple.

"[It's] politics," Pugh wrote. "Despite our best efforts over a period of many months, we were unable to obtain full sanctioning and since schedules must be developed, players signed and tickets sold, we simply ran out of time."

Canada Soccer released its own statement, calling the news "disappointing" and saying they lobbied the other governing bodies to approve the Fury for the USL.

The Fury's future has been in doubt before, after CONCACAF told the Canadian Soccer Association in 2018 it would not sanction the team's ongoing membership in the USL.

Fury FC had widely been expected to be home to the eighth team in the Canadian Premier League, which launched in 2019.

At a press conference Friday, Goudie said he envisioned the team joining the CPL, noting the league's existence is important for soccer in Canada.

But the organization wanted to do it on their own terms, Goudie said, rather than being forced by governing bodies into the league.

"The desire to join somebody who has issued you a ransom note was not particularly high," Goudie.

The club was allowed to remain in the USL for the 2019 season after an about-face by the agency.

Pugh said at Friday's press conference the USL lobbied the governing bodies to sanction the Fury.

"[They] bent over backwards in so many ways to avoid what is happening today," Pugh said, appearing to choke back tears.

Fury FC general manager Julian de Guzman also joined Goudie and Pugh at the press conference, mostly hanging his head while the other two spoke.

But when he was asked how he took the news, the former Canadian soccer star struggled to overcome his emotions.

"For a lot of the [heavily] invested individuals who believe in this vision, idea, philosophy, this dream that has now come to an end," he said.

"It's just really hard to digest at this moment."

The Fury initially played in the North American Soccer League (NASL) from 2014 to 2016 before jumping into the USL in 2017.

The statement from OSEG also included a comment from USL president Jake Edwards, who said he was "disappointed."

"Ottawa Fury FC is an extremely professional, well-run organization and it's frustrating to see them treated in this way," Edwards said.

Ottawa was the only Canadian team playing in the USL.

Last month, the team announced it was parting ways with head coach Nikola Popovic after two seasons.

The Fury plays home games at TD Place stadium at Ottawa's Lansdowne Park, which can hold 24,000 spectators.

The club finished in eighth place in the USL's eastern conference in 2019 with a 14-10-10 record.

Goudie said the organization will be tacking a step back before deciding what to do for 2021.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/fury-suspends-operation-failed-sanctions-1.5352935

JHikka
Nov 8, 2019, 8:35 PM
"I think it's apparent that soccer's hierarchy is trying to force Fury FC out of the USL," the statement said.

They knew this two years ago and yet still tried to play in USL in 2020 anyway. They refused to make any plans whatsoever to transition to CPL despite the issues they knew were going to happen with CSA and CONCACAF on their USL sanctioning. Difficult for me to find sympathy for them.

lrt's friend
Nov 8, 2019, 10:22 PM
They knew this two years ago and yet still tried to play in USL in 2020 anyway. They refused to make any plans whatsoever to transition to CPL despite the issues they knew were going to happen with CSA and CONCACAF on their USL sanctioning. Difficult for me to find sympathy for them.

It is mentioned that it isn't quite so simple. The caibre of play in the USL is significantly higher than offered in the CPL. They did not want to degrade the product offered to fans.

kevinbottawa
Nov 9, 2019, 1:34 AM

I don't blame them for not wanting to be strong armed into joining the CPL. As an entrepreneur, someone interfering in your business or forcing you into making a certain business decision is insulting. In this case it's especially insulting both as an organization and city because they aren't doing the same thing to TFC, the Impact and the Whitecaps.

qprcanada
Nov 9, 2019, 4:29 AM
I don't blame them for not wanting to be strong armed into joining the CPL. As an entrepreneur, someone interfering in your business or forcing you into making a certain business decision is insulting. In this case it's especially insulting both as an organization and city because they aren't doing the same thing to TFC, the Impact and the Whitecaps.

It has to do with how soccer is governed, unlike most North American sports there is a world governing body, FIFA and a regional governing body CONCACAF.

The decision of CONCACAF and ultimately FIFA to force clubs to play in their domestic leagues instead of a foreign league of the same standard (CPL and USL are both considered "2nd division" leagues) is the reason the Fury were not sanctioned again. Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver can play in the MLS because there is presently no league in Canada that is considered "1st Division"

I'm surprised how naive the Fury were to think they could circumvent this rule after receiving a one time exemption.

I think the Fury were losing money hand over fist and this gives OSEG a face saving way to suspend operations and blame it on sanctioning issues.

JHikka
Nov 9, 2019, 7:46 PM
It is mentioned that it isn't quite so simple. The caibre of play in the USL is significantly higher than offered in the CPL. They did not want to degrade the product offered to fans.

I disagree with the sentiment that the CPL is a noticeably weaker league than USL. The latter is certainly not significantly better than the former.

Nepean
Nov 10, 2019, 5:06 AM
It has to do with how soccer is governed, unlike most North American sports there is a world governing body, FIFA and a regional governing body CONCACAF. *SNIP*

While you are correct in a legal sense, this is not how things work in the real world. Truth is that FIFA is constantly flexible with their rules.

If the President of CONCACAF was not Victor Montagliani, a former head of the CSA and someone who was directly involved in creating the new Canadian league, the Fury would get sanctioning. The only reason CONCACAF is playing hardball is because their president has a direct interest in the CPL.

This is politics pure and simple. The Fury are a relatively weak club so CONCACAF bullied them. If TFC, the Impact, and Whitecaps were not strong clubs, and if CONCACAF had the ability to push them around, you can bet they would also lose sanctioning.

While the argument of MLS being a higher level is technically true, and is interesting pub talk for soccer nerds like me, that is not the reason the MLS teams are given special status. The reason they are (for now) protected is because there would be a massive backlash if CONCACAF denied them sanctioning. But don't kid yourself, if Canada's governing body was in a position to deny the MLS teams sanctioning and force them into the CPL, they would do it.

Nepean
Nov 10, 2019, 5:14 AM

This is essentially the reason the Fury did not join the CPL. In a nutshell, the Fury owners did not trust the CPL, and after seeing what happened this week who could blame them.

I know a lot of fans are upset, but we have to remember that the players did not want to go to the CPL because it meant lower wages, less benefits, and a smaller stage to showcase their talents. As for the owners, would you want to partner with someone pointing a gun to your head? The FIFA sanctioning rules, while technically valid, were in reality an excuse to strong arm the Fury.

If CONCACAF wanted to they could have made an exception for the Fury, but they chose not to because they decided to use their political power as a negotiating strategy. If they were willing to do that to the Fury to force them to join the CPL, imagine what other strong arm tactics they would have used once the club was a (forced) member. From this perspective, I do not blame the owners for refusing to join a group that has proven themselves to be a bunch of thugs.

YOWetal
Nov 10, 2019, 9:15 AM

Yes which would be too bad. Too bad suburban councillors and staff consider everyone a driver and therefore there to be other rinks in the area. Sure St-Laurent is a short drive away but for many in the area it's inaccessible on foot or by transit.

JHikka
Nov 10, 2019, 1:14 PM
Yes which would be too bad. Too bad suburban councillors and staff consider everyone a driver and therefore there to be other rinks in the area. Sure St-Laurent is a short drive away but for many in the area it's inaccessible on foot or by transit.

For hockey almost everyone is a driver - being mobile with hockey equipment almost always requires a vehicle, unless under very rare circumstances. Not the same as simply carrying a pair of skates to the canal.

Single-pad arenas of the size of Sandy Hill are not economically tenable long-term. Hockey is an expensive sport at its base and it makes no sense to have a facility with only one pad which requires an ice machine and zamboni just for itself. Easier to spread those costs over two or four pads.

qprcanada
Nov 10, 2019, 2:04 PM
While you are correct in a legal sense, this is not how things work in the real world. Truth is that FIFA is constantly flexible with their rules.

If the President of CONCACAF was not Victor Montagliani, a former head of the CSA and someone who was directly involved in creating the new Canadian league, the Fury would get sanctioning. The only reason CONCACAF is playing hardball is because their president has a direct interest in the CPL.

This is politics pure and simple. The Fury are a relatively weak club so CONCACAF bullied them. If TFC, the Impact, and Whitecaps were not strong clubs, and if CONCACAF had the ability to push them around, you can bet they would also lose sanctioning.

While the argument of MLS being a higher level is technically true, and is interesting pub talk for soccer nerds like me, that is not the reason the MLS teams are given special status. The reason they are (for now) protected is because there would be a massive backlash if CONCACAF denied them sanctioning. But don't kid yourself, if Canada's governing body was in a position to deny the MLS teams sanctioning and force them into the CPL, they would do it.

Respectfully, you are incorrect. There is no conspiracy between the CSA and CPL, OSEG were losing money and this is a face saving exercise to suspend operations whilst recovering their "franchise license" from the USL by selling it to a prospective American owner. It is about $$$ not politics and the money OSEG is losing on it's real estate and sporting enterprises.

A club that wishes to play in a foreign league must be sanctioned by the national association (CSA) and the regional association as well as FIFA. While you may argue about the standards of MLS it meets the required technical/infrastructure standards to be a "first division" league and that is why TFC, Impact and Whitecaps have no issues with sanctioning because there is presently no equivalent in Canada.

In the future that may change and if it happened they could sell their MLS "franchise license" for a lot of money.

I expect that in 2021 Ottawa will have a CPL team with or without the involvement of OSEG.

Nepean
Nov 10, 2019, 3:23 PM
[QUOTE=qprcanada;8744503]Respectfully, you are incorrect. There is no conspiracy between the CSA and CPL, OSEG were losing money *snip* . . .[QUOTE].

I agree with some of what you said. Of course $$$ was involved, as OSEG did not want to lose the profit it made with the USL. Joining the CPL would have forced the Fury to pay an expansion fee to the CPL -- last number I saw was $1.5 million -- and at the same time lose the value of their USL franchise, now reportedly worth $10 million. (The Fury paid about $3 million to join the USL). Where I disagree is with your analysis of the relationship between the CPL and CONCACAF, as it is clear that CONCACAF's Canadian president used his political power to strong arm the Fury.

As for FIFA rules about clubs playing in foreign leagues, yes, as I said previously, you are correct according to a literal application of FIFA laws. But FIFA, as everyone knows, is flexible with its laws. It applies them when it suits them and discards them when convenient. The bottom line is that CONCACAF decided to apply the "foreign league" rule now because its President had skin in this game and was part of a negotiating strategy. If the President of CONCACAF had been someone from El Salvador who couldn't care less about Canada, rather than a Canadian named Victor Montagliani, the Fury would have received sanctioning. FIFA is not some equitable body that applies its laws fairly. Rather, it takes decisions to advance its interests, and is flexible with how it applies its rules.

As for Canada's three MLS teams, my point is this: They will lose their sanctioning the moment it is politically convenient to remove it. That may take years, but if they ever become weak enough to have sanctioning removed, no amount of FIFA rules will protect them.

Finally, while it is true OSEG always lost money with the Fury, I do not think they folded due to that. I think they folded because given a choice between not existing and entering into business with people they did not trust, they decided to fold. Frankly, I would have made the same decision. As a fan, I am devastated, but from a business perspective everything I have seen of the CPL screams, "do no trust them!"

phil235
Nov 10, 2019, 3:30 PM
For hockey almost everyone is a driver - being mobile with hockey equipment almost always requires a vehicle, unless under very rare circumstances. Not the same as simply carrying a pair of skates to the canal.

Single-pad arenas of the size of Sandy Hill are not economically tenable long-term. Hockey is an expensive sport at its base and it makes no sense to have a facility with only one pad which requires an ice machine and zamboni just for itself. Easier to spread those costs over two or four pads.

Not everyone. I coach minor hockey in arenas like Brewer and McNabb, and I would guess that a good 20-25% of the kids walk at least some of the time. And there are other uses of the arenas as well. The number of walkers is probably higher for public skating, skateboarding, lacrosse etc.

The problem with multiplexes (aside from diminishing the community connection) is that they require massive parking lots which don’t really work in urban areas, especially in established parks where most single pas arenas are located. Underground parking is too expensive.

To me the question is more than just the cost of staff and aa zamboni. You need to weigh that against the impact of forcing almost everyone to drive, or paving over big swaths of your central city for these complexes. This being Ottawa, I expect that the likely outcome is to shift these facilities to the suburbs and abandon the core altogether.