PDA

View Full Version : West Village Towers

Pages : [1] 2 3

Spring2008
Apr 25, 2014, 4:26 PM
With Poll

I am in love.

150m, 125m and 100m. 575 units, 90 000 sq. ft. of retail space.

http://wexdevcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/WVT-7-640x406_c.jpg
http://wexdevcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/WVT-2-640x406_c.jpg
http://wexdevcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/WVT-3-640x406_c.jpg
http://wexdevcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/WVT-5-640x406_c.jpg
http://wexdevcorp.com/portfolio/calgary/west-village-towers/

Spring2008
Apr 25, 2014, 4:32 PM
List it all the way, get rid of this guy. JJ, voted love it, for this part of town.:cheers:

TallBob
Apr 25, 2014, 5:59 PM
I voted "love it".... Very nice proposal!! Looks like the old FCII proposal.

WhipperSnapper
Apr 25, 2014, 6:23 PM
Oh crap. Not surprised though.

Calgary loses 3 Eau Claire but picks up a set of triplets in return. Typical of the junk being proposed in Mississauga and Vaughan home to the suburbanites that can't tell a Shuttleworth from a well ... Yahya Jan. The types that may gauge a building by being a box or not a box.

I guess NYCC aplies too with Emerald Park Condos.

Fuzz
Apr 25, 2014, 6:40 PM
Not a fan of the sidewalk interaction on 9th. Big concrete wall blocking sunlight. Other than that, it looks great.

Pavlov
Apr 25, 2014, 6:44 PM
Not a fan. For some reason, I predict that this ends up as Nuera 2.0. That is not good.

milomilo
Apr 25, 2014, 6:58 PM
I like it. The design really isn't anything earth shattering, but there's nothing wrong with that - not every building can or should be the centre of attention. Hopefully this is a sign of more to come on that side of town.

It's pretty much a guarantee that the roof won't look like that though. It wouldn't surprise me if it gets lopped off either.

Spring2008
Apr 25, 2014, 7:22 PM
Keep in mind site context, off of a large one way, 1 block from the train tracks, in area that until recently with the west Beltline resurgence has been a dead zone. Interesting project. Wouldn't be too awed if this was proposed for the middle of Beltline, EV, or Eau-Claire, for where it's going, this is fantastic.

Oh crap. Not surprised though.

Calgary loses 3 Eau Claire but picks up a set of triplets in return. Typical of the junk being proposed in Mississauga and Vaughan home to the suburbanites that can't tell a Shuttleworth from a well ... Yahya Jan. The types that may gauge a building by being a box or not a box.

I guess NYCC aplies too with Emerald Park Condos.

bigcanuck
Apr 25, 2014, 7:23 PM
Not a fan of the sidewalk interaction on 9th. Big concrete wall blocking sunlight. Other than that, it looks great.

Except the sun doesn't shine from the North...

Surrealplaces
Apr 25, 2014, 7:28 PM
I like them for the most part. I would like it much more if one tower that was a bit taller.

H.E.Pennypacker
Apr 25, 2014, 7:31 PM
I am interested to see how that podium turns out at the street level along 9th

Bigtime
Apr 25, 2014, 7:49 PM
Well if the average Joe's that follow me on twitter are any indication most people love it.

kw5150
Apr 25, 2014, 7:49 PM
Like it but HATE triplets and tend to dislike buildings with slanted tops. Slanted tops = maintenance nightmare.

Fuzz
Apr 25, 2014, 8:49 PM
Except the sun doesn't shine from the North...
Hey now! Keep your fancy Friday logic out of this! I think its beer o'clock.

H.E.Pennypacker
Apr 25, 2014, 9:14 PM
Hey now! Keep your fancy Friday logic out of this! I think its beer o'clock.

:cheers: Amen

TallBob
Apr 25, 2014, 9:26 PM
I think 3 of the same is a little over-kill. However, like Surreal said and I agree with, is lose the shorter building and add some height/floors to the other two buildings.... more for the taller of the remaining two. You'd end up with the same rentable space without making a bigger footprint. Maybe 170 & 140 meters for both! IMO.

RyLucky
Apr 25, 2014, 10:20 PM
When you are drinking your beer-o-clock brew, consider this:

Does the sun shine from the North or not?
On the summer solstice, for example, the sun rises in the NE 51° from due north and sets in the NW 51° from due north in the other direction (or 309° continuing clockwise from azimuth/due north). "Well, that's just the summer solstice," you say. Actually, the sun rises and sets slightly to the north in Calgary every day between March 18th or so and September 21st or so. In other words, if you were standing to the south of a tall wall on June 21st in Calgary, the sun might not rise until 10-11AM and would set around 5-6PM depending on the height of the wall, distance to the wall, etc. That excludes some pretty prime patio/outdoor hours in a city where the average 6PM summer temperature in June is <15°C, and would also have a significant effect on plants and the type of light plants get.

Just saying. Enjoy your beer!

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=55&month=6&year=2014&obj=sun&afl=-12&day=1

RyLucky
Apr 25, 2014, 10:29 PM
:cheers:As for the towers, I voted "like it". Fantastic for the location, but my critiques are the same as mentioned by others: redundant duplicates, "giving up" on interaction with 9th Ave (although I like how it opens up to 8th Ave), skepticism that the finishings (especially the crown) will come off like the rendering, and I too got a Neura vibe from it.

I'm having a bit of a hard time interpreting the street interaction and "rifty" thing that's going on. Hopefully we get more renders!

*Stardust*
Apr 25, 2014, 10:47 PM
I love it. It will be beautiful to look at driving into downtown on 9th ave.

Speaking of...does anyone know what is happening on the 9th ave side? Doesn't look like there is much action happening from the picture, but i could be wrong

Wigs
Apr 26, 2014, 12:27 AM
Overall, I like it. However, like others have said I do wish it were taller, and twins. Triplets :yuck: come on, Calgary! stop turning into SimCity.

My other gripe is that the project size is a Superblock complex. Not a fan of these since imho it's better to have multiple buildings of differing styles and/or ages instead.

I'm curious to see better renderings of the street level.

overall not too shabby. :cheers:

O-tacular
Apr 26, 2014, 2:14 AM
I voted like it as it's different and the crown could be cool. Overall it doesn't wow me like the Eau Claire redevelopment or Telus Sky, but it's interesting. I don't think it will end up like Nuera as it doesn't look like the crown is mechanical and it seems to have amenities in it. A cool idea to have common amenities on the top like Sky and Mark.

I don't understand if the Riff-like corridor is indoors or outdoors based on the rendering. It looks like there's glass walls segregating it from the street but no roof.

Doug
Apr 26, 2014, 2:39 AM
Difficult to assess from the renderings, but I think I like it. I have a soft spot for angular, 80's style designs. The developer is taking a huge risk by bringing such a large number of rental units to market. The location is more suited to office development, being along the railway line.

TallBob
Apr 26, 2014, 7:37 AM
Doug: In the US a few smaller cities than Calgary are building a lot of rentals also.... I wouldn't worry too much! Can always convert to condo's later on if needed.

TallBob
Apr 26, 2014, 7:38 AM
Otacular: These would wow you I'll bet if one of the towers was 240 meters!! YES!

O-tacular
Apr 26, 2014, 2:32 PM
Otacular: These would wow you I'll bet if one of the towers was 240 meters!! YES!

I think that would only make a development better for you Tallbob. ;)

TallBob
Apr 27, 2014, 6:33 AM
^^ Won't lie to you about that!! ^^

lorenavedon
Apr 27, 2014, 1:29 PM
Difficult to assess from the renderings, but I think I like it. I have a soft spot for angular, 80's style designs. The developer is taking a huge risk by bringing such a large number of rental units to market. The location is more suited to office development, being along the railway line.

risk? If they listed all those units this morning they'd be all gone by tonight. You must be underestimating the demand of living in the core right now. People have really hit their limit with Calgary traffic and world beating parking rates. Not only are new people coming to Calgary looking at living near where they work (majority in downtown) and many that already live here are looking to sell in the burbs and move in downtown. This shift is causing a huge pressure on anything livable within the inner city. Even if they're not all filled right away, more rentals will free up condos purchased by investors for rental purposes. So in the end, more rentals just help bring us to a more balanced market which is beneficial for everyone.

TallBob
Apr 27, 2014, 2:59 PM
^^ I'll agree with that. Extremely unafordible in the city! ^^

J-D
Apr 27, 2014, 7:55 PM
I think it's pretty decent, but I can never really tell by the renderings vs final products.

Kind of like comparing the bow renderings to what it's actually like... the street-scape leaves a lot to be desired for me although I like the building itself. Renderings always show foliage, with a bunch of people sitting down or standing around chatting where in reality there's usually just people walking or homeless people sleeping.

Design-mind
Apr 28, 2014, 4:07 AM
Love it! Very interesting podium, maybe an extension of the skate park LOL!

Trans Canada
Aug 22, 2014, 12:57 AM
Figure I'll bump this thread given that this is going to CPC next week

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documents/calgary_planning_commission/agenda/2014/DP2014-0946-web.pdf

Skimmed all 91 pages, couldn't find which tower is slated for phase 1. Anyone else notice? I'll keep lookin.

Edit: The letter from the Development Circulation Controller at the end of the PDF is really good. It looks like this thing will be approved for sure if they made the appropriate changes to the massing along 9 Ave.

Page 28 of the pdf names the towers A, B, C from tallest to shortest. It would make sense to phase this way, 3rd phase being the shorter one offset to the north (with a separate podium?)

Chadillaccc
Aug 22, 2014, 12:59 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the info. A 150 meter residential tower possibly starting soon? I think I might faint. :haha:

geotag277
Aug 22, 2014, 1:18 AM
The more I look at these towers the more I like them. It will be a huge improvement as a bookend tower for the West End. Amazing that this could be starting so soon.

Trans Canada
Aug 22, 2014, 1:43 AM
Looks like they intend to run a little street/alleyway around the existing building on NW corner, and a semi-covered alleyway between the two podiums (north tower and south towers).

http://i.imgur.com/0lrqBhZ.png

http://i.imgur.com/08GMLPE.png

http://i.imgur.com/n0tJLeV.png

http://i.imgur.com/3qL3rBI.png

http://i.imgur.com/qkR4Vjm.png

http://i.imgur.com/LqICx1Q.png

Source for all http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documents/calgary_planning_commission/agenda/2014/DP2014-0946-web.pdf

Wouldn't surprise me if they drop phase 3 and the covering over the alley, seems a bit far-fetched...

geotag277
Aug 22, 2014, 1:55 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if they drop phase 3 and the covering over the alley, seems a bit far-fetched...

NORR does seem to shoot for the moon with some of their early designs/renderings (see 3 Eau Claire). I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes as well.

*Stardust*
Aug 22, 2014, 2:53 AM
I don't say this often, but this project is almost perfect. Except for one thing...

The side facing 9th ave needs to be improved. I seriously hope that its not some giant concrete wall for the entire block.

Tills13
Aug 22, 2014, 3:25 AM
This looks like the lot across from Metro Ford... I thought there as another project slated for that lot, as well?

Trans Canada
Aug 22, 2014, 3:35 AM
^ yup, separate project, not sure what its status is

MARIO TONEGUZZI, CALGARY HERALD MAY 1, 2014

CALGARY - The west-end gateway to downtown Calgary along 9th Avenue will undergo a massive transformation in the years to come as two major residential projects are planned to revitalize the area.

The Herald has learned that the WAM Development Group is in the initial stages of planning and development for a huge residential condo project, on the site of the current home of the Metro Ford dealership, which will include 1,800 luxury residential suites in four towers located above 150,000 square feet of grade-related retail uses.

[...]

West Village Towers is another residential condo tower development planned nearby by Wexford Development Corporation and Cidex Developments, which will include three towers, totalling 575 units with 90,000 square feet of ground floor retail and second level office space, according to Wexford’s website.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Huge+luxury+condo+project+proposed+west+downtown/9796883/story.html

Chadillaccc
Aug 22, 2014, 3:45 AM
Wow, these two developments are going to bring like 3 000 people to the west end! On top of the ~1 000 being brought by the Avenue and Vogue projects.

YYCguys
Aug 22, 2014, 3:47 AM
Given all the activity in this area of town, I have always thought that if the Armorey were decommissioned, that it would make a fabulous podium to a residential and/or hotel tower!

suburbia
Aug 22, 2014, 3:57 AM
Given all the activity in this area of town, I have always thought that if the Armorey were decommissioned, that it would make a fabulous podium to a residential and/or hotel tower!

True. Especially as the centre is a large open area, so the foundation work could happen with much of the perimeter undisturbed.

That being said, heritage status is pretty high with that building, if I recall correctly. Would be difficult to do.

EG:
http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com/2004events/IMG_1160.jpg (http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com/2004events/2004indoc.htm)
Via http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com/2004events/2004indoc.htm

Trans Canada
Aug 22, 2014, 4:09 AM
The Armoury would make a great farmers' market. If/when West Village (the area around Greyhound etc, not these towers) gets redeveloped it could really be a hub of activity.

DarthMalgus
Aug 22, 2014, 4:32 AM
I love it. The towers are sleek and modern. Very excited to see these go up.

geotag277
Aug 22, 2014, 5:06 AM
So the first phase which is starting first is actually even taller than Guardian? Wow, the title of Calgary's tallest residential tower is really switching hands pretty quickly these days :haha:

MasterG
Aug 22, 2014, 6:09 AM

You know what would make a great podium for a tower: the giant parking lot fronting 9th ave south of the armoury. Dress it up how you want, but that parking lot is due (and deserves) to meet it's maker long before the armoury ever does.

I do realize the strange irony where that parking lot may have been built by people still alive. I stand by my point:)

TallBob
Aug 22, 2014, 6:17 AM
Wow.... Hope these 3 possibly 2 towers move forward! Maybe they listened to the forum... build two buildings with a little more height and drop the third one! Only a little refinement on these, i do like shapes and the proportions ( height to width ). Tall and slender!

horrorshow
Aug 22, 2014, 2:29 PM
Wow.... Hope these 3 possibly 2 towers move forward! Maybe they listened to the forum... build two buildings with a little more height and drop the third one! Only a little refinement on these, i do like shapes and the proportions ( height to width ). Tall and slender!

Meh in my opinion. Nothing spectacular and the street presence along 9th is horrible.

I think mid rise is more suitable for this site.

polishavenger
Aug 22, 2014, 2:34 PM
Meh in my opinion. Nothing spectacular and the street presence along 9th is horrible.

Based on what exactly?

Bokimon
Aug 22, 2014, 2:54 PM
Can somebody send an email to Intergulf Cidex to release these in higher resolution renderings now that it is public knowledge.. These look sweet and we can make out even more features if the quality was a bit higher..
I am tempted to make one of these my ssp nerd background wallpaper on my computer. Another 500 footer yes please!

Chadillaccc
Aug 22, 2014, 2:59 PM
The city has recommended changes to the 9th Avenue frontage, so we may still see significant improvement with that yet. :)

horrorshow
Aug 22, 2014, 2:59 PM
Based on what exactly?

These are just my opinions but...

First, I believe this is pretty much the "gateway" to downtown from the west along ninth and there is opportunity to create more of a of friendly, walkable, environment which a connection to shaw millenium park, continuing to the river along 11th.

Second, I don't think you should approach downtown and go from a park and low rise buildings to tall towers. Their should be a gradual rise.

Third, the current design does nothing for 9th avenue in terms of contributing to a pedestrian environment.

But hey? As long as you contribute to the skyline you can forego the whole ground floor, public and pedestrian environment right? ;)

Once again, these are just my opinions :shrug:

Spring2008
Aug 22, 2014, 3:02 PM

Lots of new mid-rise coming to places like Bridgeland and Kensington. The land values and ARP's in the city centre ensure only high-rise throughout on any decent sized lot.

H.E.Pennypacker
Aug 22, 2014, 3:12 PM

First, I believe this is pretty much the "gateway" to downtown from the west along ninth and there is opportunity to create more of a of friendly, walkable, environment which a connection to shaw millenium park, continuing to the river along 11th.

Second, I don't think you should approach downtown and go from a park and low rise buildings to tall towers. Their should be a gradual rise.

Third, the current design does nothing for 9th avenue in terms of contributing to a pedestrian environment.

But hey? As long as you contribute to the skyline you can forego the whole ground floor, public and pedestrian environment right? ;)

I think in the long term the West Village redevelopment along with whatever developments go along there will help create more of a cascading effect particularly as you head into downtown

Agree that the renders appear that the interaction along 9th Ave at the street level look less desirable but hopefully, as Chad said, the City will help get some of that changed

WhipperSnapper
Aug 22, 2014, 4:06 PM
Gimmicky tower design. Should fit well in the West Village. 3/10

RyLucky
Aug 22, 2014, 4:12 PM

I agree with your opinion, mainly in that development the West End should focus on ways to optimize assets that make it liveable. However, as one of Calgary's highest-density and most fully-serviced communities, I think the West End should take on all the population it can handle while continuing to integrate participation with Millennium Park, the Bow River, 8th Ave, 11th St, 8th St, the old Science Centre (whatever may become of it), the armoury, access to Kensington, etc. Even 10th St feels like it has potential to one day become a pleasant residential-retail corridor with its double row of trees, fledgling retailers, and annual block party. I see more people walking their tiny dogs there all the time. The West End also can do more to take advantage of its position as the natural terminus for various parades in the city. Also, IIRC the West End was the final destination of the most famous visitor to ever set hoof in our city:
The May 13, 2010 Moose (http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2010/05/13/13936241.html). If fact, I believe he was finally cornered in the CIDEX site! Deserves a statue to commemorate it, don't you think?
http://storage.calgarysun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1302566939412_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x
In addition to casting a bronze moose statue, here are some improvements I'd like to see in the West End:
1) Reduce 5th Ave b/w 11th and 9th st from 5 to 2 or 3 traffic lanes. Only 2 lanes feed into it anyway! Create pedestrian bulbs and/or street parking with a double row of trees. Save room for a future separated bike way. There's plenty of room.
2) Improve the sidewalk at the north end of 10th St. Currently, it kind of just tapers away, inviting everyone walking between Kerby Station and Kensington to wander through the dusty lot behind Avatamsaka or j-walk to the river pathway.
3) Conceive an ultimate plan for what 9th St will look like once 201 is underground.
4) Currently the area has some of the worst sidewalks in the city. I don't remember the details in their ARP, but due to the dense population goals and high traffic in the West End, I think the area should pursue an aggressively high standard of sidewalks in the city. Double row of trees and nearly ubiquitous street retail. This comes with the caveat that we must allow maximum densities (in accordance with shadow bylaws) to support retail.

My main critique of CIDEX is also the apparent lack of street-level interaction, at least on the south side. Overall, I think the more people live Downtown the better, and anything's better than a parking lot. Personally, I like the crown feature. It kind of looks like if Neura and Ovation had a baby. This is probably one of the best sites in town for this kind of development.

RyLucky
Aug 22, 2014, 4:26 PM
Don't forget that one day the West Village will develop, inevitably affecting traffic patterns, connectivity, consumer patterns, and even wide angle aesthetic of the West End of Downtown. I don't know when that will be, but either (a) when a stadium moves in (something I fear will be terribly executed, stagnating the area from reaching its true potential for another half century), or (b) when availability of land in the EV, Victoria Park, and Eau Claire dries up, putting a premium on large, high-density developable lots - Something that probably won't happen until 2025-2030, but surely WILL happen.

RyLucky
Aug 22, 2014, 4:57 PM
The city has recommended changes to the 9th Avenue frontage, so we may still see significant improvement with that yet. :)

I'd be thrilled to see one or two urban-format big box stores in the podium there, but there are a couple of problems... namely, unlike RIOCan in EV or First South or Erlton, this part of 9th Ave gets relatively little traffic at 5 pm when folks are heading home from Downtown. Still, that's not necessarily a dealbreaker. Maybe they could lure the Staples from across the street?

Rusty van Reddick
Aug 22, 2014, 5:06 PM
These are close to Stella/Nova/Luna and Vantage Pointe, all tall towers. Height isn't out of context. Just across the tracks.

tomthumb2
Aug 22, 2014, 6:13 PM
I think just about anything is better than what's currently there. And I can't wait to see the demise of those car dealerships too. That can't happen soon enough!

Tills13
Aug 22, 2014, 6:48 PM
Gimmicky tower design. Should fit well in the West Village. 3/10

Why do you even post in this section if you never contribute anything of value?

geotag277
Aug 22, 2014, 9:43 PM

To remind and educate everyone on how shitty every new tower proposal really is. Check your optimism at the door folks. :shrug:

TallBob
Aug 23, 2014, 12:10 AM
Man there's plenty of Low-Mid rise stuff in the area.... and more proposed! I think something like these are going to be great! Street-wise would be the easiest thing to tweak or change, but these are just preliminary's anyway, right? Also, 20 years from now, Low-Mid rises might not work for that area. sometimes we think of an area in relation to a particular area and think it's going to look and feel the same in 15-20 years. Just my 2 cents of course.

WhipperSnapper
Aug 23, 2014, 12:34 AM

My opinion has as much value as any other opinion whether you are in agreement or not. I'll agree that I'm more critical than the average Calgary based forumer. This place can be like a David Parker article. By comparison, urbantoronto idolizes Chris Hume types.

I contribute a helluva lot more that you can imagine.

Rusty van Reddick
Aug 23, 2014, 1:41 AM
This place can be like a David Parker article. By comparison, urbantoronto idolizes Chris Hume types.

Where does Christopher Hume live? What city does Christopher Hume LOVE? What city does Christopher Hume defend because its inherent greatness should not be sullied by unworthy architecture?

Which city did Christopher Hume visit and deride for having an "empty" and "dead" downtown when he studiously and purposely avoided lively people-filled areas mere blocks to the north and south because he was committed to slagging that city?

Answers are of course Toronto and Calgary. He criticises banal architecture in Toronto the same way Prince Charles did in London: because Toronto, like London, is a world-class place that deserves better. He slags Calgary as a person who would never IN A MILLION YEARS live there and can choose to see what he wants to, to support his predetermined conceptualization of it, like the rest of Canada, as utterly, completely lame.

craner
Aug 23, 2014, 5:14 AM
Always like when a developer builds the tallest tower first, and a 500 footer at that. Really would have liked them to go even taller with this design, we need a new tallest for the west end. Maybe if they build 2 taller towers instead of 3.
Overall I have to say I'm excited for this one.

TallBob
Aug 23, 2014, 11:51 PM
Craner: I've thought and said the same. It may come down to the total amount of units planned..... maybe a bit too many. Still think it'll be a two-building project, with a possibility of a little height/floors on the remaining two! IMO

Design-mind
Aug 24, 2014, 7:20 PM
Are the DP's already approved for this project?

O-tacular
Aug 24, 2014, 7:32 PM
To remind and educate everyone on how shitty every new tower proposal really is. Check your optimism at the door folks. :shrug:

Yeah, EAP place is an abomination because of its cheap mullions! The only nice architecture is box towers.

Wooster
Aug 24, 2014, 7:34 PM
Are the DP's already approved for this project?

DP approved at planning commission on Thursday.

WhipperSnapper
Aug 24, 2014, 7:44 PM
Where does Christopher Hume live? What city does Christopher Hume LOVE? What city does Christopher Hume defend because its inherent greatness should not be sullied by unworthy architecture?

Which city did Christopher Hume visit and deride for having an "empty" and "dead" downtown when he studiously and purposely avoided lively people-filled areas mere blocks to the north and south because he was committed to slagging that city?

Answers are of course Toronto and Calgary. He criticises banal architecture in Toronto the same way Prince Charles did in London: because Toronto, like London, is a world-class place that deserves better. He slags Calgary as a person who would never IN A MILLION YEARS live there and can choose to see what he wants to, to support his predetermined conceptualization of it, like the rest of Canada, as utterly, completely lame.

He affirms the people of Toronto are a step above troglodytes for excepting banal architecture. The dandies over at UT are the same way. Can't stand that forum. On the other hand, this place is an extreme for the other end. Everything rocks with Chad as its ring leader.

O-tacular
Aug 24, 2014, 7:48 PM
My opinion has as much value as any other opinion whether you are in agreement or not. I'll agree that I'm more critical than the average Calgary based forumer. This place can be like a David Parker article. By comparison, urbantoronto idolizes Chris Hume types.

I contribute a helluva lot more that you can imagine.

No. you're more critical than anyone. Even BlueCypress likes more projects than you do. And he actually gives real reasons, like shoddy construction etc., whereas you just do drive-by's. Can you even name me a single tower here that's been built in the last 6 years that you've actually liked? You make it sound like we're a bunch of undiscerning boosters who'd be happy for anything to be built whereas if you actually read this forum frequently enough you'd see people here have their own criticisms of projects. I see no reason to give this tower a 3/10. If we were talking a Lacaille project I might agree, but this?

O-tacular
Aug 24, 2014, 7:51 PM
He affirms the people of Toronto are a step above troglodytes for excepting banal architecture. The dandies over at UT are the same way. Can't stand that forum. On the other hand, this place is an extreme for the other end. Everything rocks with Chad as its ring leader.

Nice of you to bring Chad into this. Goes to show how biased you are.

WhipperSnapper
Aug 24, 2014, 7:56 PM
Yeah, EAP place is an abomination because of its cheap mullions! The only nice architecture is box towers.

Lol. I shouldn't respond to this hyperbole that would make the Montreal trolls you all love so much so proud. I'm sorry you can't see the unfortunate choice of cladding that has turn something that could of being extraordinary to being just ordinary. Same can be said that you are inspired by a completely out of scale superfluous crown over the subtleties of KPMB's Southcore.

WhipperSnapper
Aug 24, 2014, 8:01 PM
Nice of you to bring Chad into this. Goes to show how biased you are.

Biased? I don't think there is another forumer that wouldn't agree Chad sees greatness in just about anything.

Your problem is that any sort of criticism means dislike and an sort of critique here is few and far between. I can't think of a poll where approval wasn't in the 67% range.

O-tacular
Aug 24, 2014, 8:06 PM
Biased? I don't think there is another forumer that wouldn't agree Chad sees greatness in just about anything.

Your problem is that any sort of criticism means dislike.

I would say a 3/10 is a pretty clear dislike. Likewise, your general commentary usually leaves little room for anything positive. I'm hardly someone who doesn't like critiquing buildings. If you actually visited this forum frequently enough you'd see forumers like CorporateWhore actually make constructive criticisms that I usually agree with.

I don't disagree that Chad's excitement can get the best of him, but you are talking like every Calgary forumer is the same. The fact so many Toronto Trolls dislike Chad and you are comparing us all to him shows you have an inherent bias towards Calgary in general. Chad has nothing to do with this conversation so you bringing him into it says a lot.

WhipperSnapper
Aug 24, 2014, 8:20 PM
One project out of dozens that I wholeheartly dislike. Go through my posts. I always leave my comments on improving the design aspect which has little to do with shoddy construction. It's complete hogwash that I don't as you suggest.

Chad was just an extreme example how little balance there really is around here. It was not meant to be personal. In hindsight, not well thought out.

Trans Canada
Aug 24, 2014, 8:34 PM
Even if these end up looking like Nuera, which IMO is worst-case but also not out of the question, the overall shape and scale of this project is a definite plus. I think they will look great from afar and have a huge (positive) impact on the skyline from the N and S.

The street interaction is not going to save the West End, but I don't think any one project could do that. IMO the best thing for the area would be an office tower which might get more pedestrians moving and support local retail (something the condo-dwellers aren't doing).

Allan83
Aug 24, 2014, 9:38 PM
One project out of dozens that I wholeheartly dislike. Go through my posts. I always leave my comments on improving the design aspect which has little to do with shoddy construction. It's complete hogwash that I don't as you suggest.

Chad was just an extreme example how little balance there really is around here. It was not meant to be personal. In hindsight, not well thought out.

I think you have some very good comments sometimes. Other times you seem to be completely out to lunch, but I suspect a factor there is that you don’t know the greater context the building is being built in. From that location, for example, I believe the tops of all of those buildings will be above Coach Hill and Signal hill to the west, and means that they’ll have a great view of the mountains. The building that’s facing the other way will have a spectacular view of the towers of downtown. There will be pretty darn good views to the north and south as well, but I’m sure the primary design consideration for those buildings was to take advantage of the views to the east and west, skyscrapers and mountains.

Spring2008
Aug 24, 2014, 10:49 PM
I like this one, cladding reminds me of the u/c Eau-Claire office tower, and the massing is bold. Although just outside of the Beltline boundaries, these 3 towers will be a big boost for the west Beltline too.

Spring2008
Aug 24, 2014, 10:51 PM
DP approved at planning commission on Thursday.

Nice, this and the two towers at WAM on 10th should get going within the next month or two.

Chadillaccc
Aug 24, 2014, 11:55 PM
Yay no more arguing. Excited to hear that this has been approved. Looking forward to a speedy start. A 150 meter rental... that has to be a record at least in the west! :)

Tills13
Aug 25, 2014, 12:23 AM
Lol. I shouldn't respond to this hyperbole that would make the Montreal trolls you all love so much so proud. I'm sorry you can't see the unfortunate choice of cladding that has turn something that could of being extraordinary to being just ordinary. Same can be said that you are inspired by a completely out of scale superfluous crown over the subtleties of KPMB's Southcore.

I have no idea where you live but I'm sure it's not Calgary because if you've stood at the base of EAP and looked up it's nothing short of breath-taking. There are no "unfortunate choice of cladding" there.

Trans Canada
Aug 25, 2014, 1:16 AM
This is the wrong place for this discussion, but…

I can understand "unfortunate choice of cladding" - I was hoping EAP would turn out more smooth and reflective, which would emphasize the jagged, angular design. The current cladding gives EAP a grey/white powdery look which gets stronger at sharper angles from the surface (e.g. as you get closer to the building). The following is what I was hoping for:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2050/2523941399_3110f7de06_z.jpg
Source Michael W Murphy, https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelwm25/2523941399/

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/88/246095274_5f34ae6ede_z.jpg
Source Jonathan & Jill, https://www.flickr.com/photos/helloooo/246095274/

(Cira Centre in Philadelphia by Cesar Pelli)

MichaelS
Aug 25, 2014, 5:22 AM
Yay no more arguing. Excited to hear that this has been approved. Looking forward to a speedy start. A 150 meter rental... that has to be a record at least in the west! :)

It is not approved yet. It goes before planning commission next thursday. They decide if it is to be approved or not. Then could still be subject to appeal (but haven't heard of any major opposition).

Canucklehead
Aug 25, 2014, 4:01 PM
Takes some balls (and big money / financial covenants) to build this on spec. Not many banks are willing to lend to developers for rental. Probably why this is a joint venture.

Calgarian
Aug 25, 2014, 4:22 PM
Takes some balls (and big money / financial covenants) to build this on spec. Not many banks are willing to lend to developers for rental. Probably why this is a joint venture.

There are a ton of rental buildings going up right now, definitely something favourable in the market.

Chadillaccc
Aug 25, 2014, 5:43 PM

Usually this is true, but few cities have as low a vacancy as Calgary does. I don't know the updated figure, but last time I saw, the rental vacancy was like 0.5%. So that is probably why they aren't seeing this, at least the first phase, as such a huge risk.

MasterG
Aug 25, 2014, 6:04 PM
Usually this is true, but few cities have as low a vacancy as Calgary does. I don't know the updated figure, but last time I saw, the rental vacancy was like 0.5%. So that is probably why they aren't seeing this, at least the first phase, as such a huge risk.

Big piles of cash in large investment organizations looking to change their risk portfolio is another reason. Pension funds and others are always looking to manage a portfolio within a certain boundary and property is one way of doing that. Rentals are a logical choice due to some parameters in the property market, some of these Calgary specific , others generally:

- larger market at over 1 million people
- low vacancy
- high level of employment
- high level of income
- strong economic forecast
- cheap financing for the larger institutions
- Strong stock performance of the past few years means there is some diversity that is lacking in many portfolios as stocks increased in value
- Rentals are a good source of guaranteed, relatively low-risk income for many years, a good way to reduce the volatility of cash-flows for big funds and pension programs

It is why you see ideas like the 7 Tower proposal. "I have 100 Billion in assets, I need to reduce my risk. Oh Calgary? Hmm, checks all the boxes, let's invest 500 million there."

Spring2008
Aug 28, 2014, 12:02 AM
Plans for towers in Calgary's west downtown on the way up 3
BY SHAWN LOGAN, CALGARY SUN
FIRST POSTED: TUESDAY, AUGUST 26, 2014 08:31 PM MDT | UPDATED: TUESDAY, AUGUST 26, 2014 08:56 PM MDT

West Village Towers is a condo project proposed in downtown Calgary's west end. Supplied Photo
Article

The future of downtown Calgary’s long stagnant west side is looking up — way up.

Thursday, a development permit for a three-tower residential complex — dubbed West Village Towers — will go before the Calgary Planning Commission for approval.

Boasting 584 residential units along with two stories of commercial space, including an urban supermarket, the area councillor said it will become an anchor for a long neglected part of the downtown core.

“Right off the bat it’s super beautiful — it’s a gateway project,” said inner city Coun. Evan Woolley of the project along 9 Ave. S.W. between 10 St. and 11 St.

“The downtown west end is a struggling neighbourhood.

“But there’s a whole bunch of things percolating on the horizon.”

Long the home of Metro Ford, the glass panelled high rises are proposed to range in height from 29 stories to 41 stories with several public plazas.

The Calgary Downtown Association also endorsed the proposed development, noting in a letter to the planning commission it will help fill a large rental void in the core’s west end.

“We believe this project to be an exciting addition to the west side of downtown, plus a much needed addition to Calgary’s severely restricted rental accommodation inventory,” wrote CDA executive director Maggie Schofield.

“This project represents a very thoughtful addition to the downtown residential market, and its design remains respectful of both existing residential towers and nearby greenspaces.”

Woolley said the towers are the first step in what he hopes will be a spate of new development in the area that faces hurdles from large swaths of contaminated land, which require pricey remediation.

“There are lots of conversations going on right now,” he said, noting developers have another 2,000 residential units on the books within the next five years.

“In this city we’re really good at building out, we’re less good at building up.”

The project’s developers, Wexford and CIDEX Developments, are hoping to begin construction by the end of the year.

shawn.logan@sunmedia.ca

On Twitter: @SUNShawnLogan
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/08/26/plans-for-towers-in-calgarys-west-downtown-on-the-way-up

TallBob
Aug 28, 2014, 12:40 AM
Well I guess it's pretty much set in stone now.... 3 buildings not two!

RyLucky
Aug 28, 2014, 5:32 AM
Plans for towers in Calgary's west downtown on the way up 3
BY SHAWN LOGAN, CALGARY SUN
FIRST POSTED: TUESDAY, AUGUST 26, 2014 08:31 PM MDT | UPDATED: TUESDAY, AUGUST 26, 2014 08:56 PM MDT

West Village Towers is a condo project proposed in downtown Calgary's west end. Supplied Photo
Article

The future of downtown Calgary’s long stagnant west side is looking up — way up.

Thursday, a development permit for a three-tower residential complex — dubbed West Village Towers — will go before the Calgary Planning Commission for approval.

Boasting 584 residential units along with two stories of commercial space, including an urban supermarket, the area councillor said it will become an anchor for a long neglected part of the downtown core.

“Right off the bat it’s super beautiful — it’s a gateway project,” said inner city Coun. Evan Woolley of the project along 9 Ave. S.W. between 10 St. and 11 St.

Long the home of Metro Ford, the glass panelled high rises are proposed to range in height from 29 stories to 41 stories with several public plazas.

The Calgary Downtown Association also endorsed the proposed development, noting in a letter to the planning commission it will help fill a large rental void in the core’s west end.

“We believe this project to be an exciting addition to the west side of downtown, plus a much needed addition to Calgary’s severely restricted rental accommodation inventory,” wrote CDA executive director Maggie Schofield.

“This project represents a very thoughtful addition to the downtown residential market, and its design remains respectful of both existing residential towers and nearby greenspaces.”

Woolley said the towers are the first step in what he hopes will be a spate of new development in the area that faces hurdles from large swaths of contaminated land, which require pricey remediation.

“There are lots of conversations going on right now,” he said, noting developers have another 2,000 residential units on the books within the next five years.

“In this city we’re really good at building out, we’re less good at building up.”

The project’s developers, Wexford and CIDEX Developments, are hoping to begin construction by the end of the year.

shawn.logan@sunmedia.ca

On Twitter: @SUNShawnLogan
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/08/26/plans-for-towers-in-calgarys-west-downtown-on-the-way-up

I had to bold a couple other parts too. :tup:

I wonder if we will perhaps have a name change...(?). Technically, it's not in the West Village. Glad to hear it's moving forward!

Allan83
Aug 28, 2014, 7:10 AM
I’m getting a bit confused. I thought West Village was the area roughly between Crowchild and 14th, and I thought that the west end of downtown was call the West End. I would call the area where these towers are being built the West End, but the towers are going to be called West Village Towers ... :???:

Spring2008
Aug 28, 2014, 2:51 PM
I had to bold a couple other parts too. :tup:

I wonder if we will perhaps have a name change...(?). Technically, it's not in the West Village. Glad to hear it's moving forward!

The 2,000 more units is just for that small area of downtown west end and over to 10th av. Crazy how many large scale projects are in the works in almost every inner city neighborhood.

Jimby
Aug 28, 2014, 4:30 PM
Shit Maggie sez:

"... its design remains respectful of both existing residential towers and nearby greenspaces.”

What does this even mean? "Respectful of existing residential towers?" How?
What nearby greenspaces? I can't think of any!
Shaw Millenium Park would be closest and it isn't really all that green, mainly pavement.

Trans Canada
Aug 28, 2014, 5:27 PM
I’m getting a bit confused. I thought West Village was the area roughly between Crowchild and 14th, and I thought that the west end of downtown was call the West End. I would call the area where these towers are being built the West End, but the towers are going to be called West Village Towers ... :???:You are correct

Tills13
Aug 28, 2014, 5:37 PM

I thought the Metro Ford site was the WAM development... aren't these towers going in across the street from that lot?

Good lord all these towers are getting confusing.

rayne008
Aug 28, 2014, 7:51 PM
I thought the Metro Ford site was the WAM development... aren't these towers going in across the street from that lot?

Good lord all these towers are getting confusing.

I agree, I believe they meant to say the old Stampede Pontiac site.

Bigtime
Aug 28, 2014, 8:40 PM
This is apparently being discussed at the Planning Commission today and it has been said that the project will include 100 3 bedroom units.

Tills13
Aug 28, 2014, 8:58 PM
This is apparently being discussed at the Planning Commission today and it has been said that the project will include 100 3 bedroom units.

Man those are going to be e x p e n s i v e

Spring2008
Aug 29, 2014, 12:34 AM
Man those are going to be e x p e n s i v e

Why not a mortgage at that point?