PDA

View Full Version : What are your top 5 anticipated developments?

*Stardust*
Feb 14, 2014, 1:49 AM
I'm sure this has been done before, but I thought it would be fun to discuss what developments you are looking most forward to. There have been so many announcements and proposals in the past year that it's hard to keep up!

Try and rank them, so the no. 1 spot should be your most anticipated. Anything is fair game (office towers, condos, urban revitalization, bridges, parks, museums, art galleries, you name it!) just try and stay away from stale proposals that have no chance of starting again. Also, it has to be announced! It can't just be something you are wishing for.

Anyways, have fun!

1) Eau Claire Redevelopment

I think Eau Claire is the gem of Calgary, so I'm really excited for this to take off so we can fully utilize the area. Its currently such a wasteland, and I hate to see such a prime area go to waste like that. I would love to see that area become a new hot spot in Calgary and become a vibrant area no matter what time of day or what time of the year.

2) East Village

I'm sure this one is on everyone's list. I realize there are multiple developments within, but I love it all. The National Music Centre, The Riff/The Verve, Simmons building etc. too many to list! (I know it's cheating haha) It's everything you would want in Urban Downtown living. If I could go back and purchase my condo anywhere else, it would be here! The next few years are gonna be fun to watch.

3) Stampede Trail

I'm a big fan of the L.A live complex by the Staples Centre, so it would be great to have something similar (of course on a smaller scale) for a nice hangout place before or after the games, or during stampede. I also think it will tie in nicely with East village

4) Place 10

10th avenue is continually getting better and better, and it's on it's way to becoming the next 17th ave. I love the street level interaction on this one

5) 8th street corridor improvements

Love the wider sidewalks, trees, underpass improvements. This will encourage more business on 8th street and help rebuild the west end of downtown which is suffering the same problem as Eau Claire right now

Spring2008
Feb 14, 2014, 3:08 AM
Tough to narrow down to five with so much going on, but here's my attempt:

1. East Village - This neighborhood has unreal potential. Projects like the new Central Library and National Music Centre are going to be well used by the growing number of young professionals moving here. Hope this hood ties in well with the CBD

2. The 7 tower Eau-Claire proposal and Eau-Claire Market Re-development. Any need to explain this one? Both massive mixed-use developments with great towers as well as some of the best street level designs on the continent.

3.Telus Sky - Calgary might have the two nicest towers in the country when this is done.

4. Brookfield Place - another new tallest. Rockefeller type plaza and the retail atrium could bring it up another notch.

5.8th street corridor. Well designed, various parks along the route. Clever idea to connect Lower Mount Royal, Beltline, and Downtown West End to the river-path system. Will spur even more development along this route;hope century gardens isn't far off.

H.E.Pennypacker
Feb 14, 2014, 3:39 AM
1. Eau Claire/7 towers development - these will revolutionize living downtown and bolster vibrancy .. Plus the Eau Claire redevelopment just looks so awesome and futuristic, it will be a crown jewel on the skyline looking across the river

2. East Village - NMC, the new library, nicely designed condo's, The Riff, RioCan's development .. Downtown will never be the same when this is done

3. Telus Sky - Architecture in Calgary's skyline takes a step forward with this beauty

4. Brookfield - the impact of the crown remains to be seen, but that plaza level may just create a central hub for downtown Calgary

5. Manulife - love this mid rise tower .. Another solid addition to the booming 5th St corridor

*Stardust*
Feb 14, 2014, 3:49 AM
I have an honourable mention that I have to bring up...

6th and 10th

Poor Brad Lamb (who am I kidding. He probably has more than all of us combined) His first project in Calgary has not been the success that he wanted. Which is a shame, because it is actually a very nice looking tower with the plaza area that is absolutely stunning in my opinion. The interiors are ultra modern and sleek and the exterior really stands out from other condos that have been built recently.

Yes, it is a little overpriced, and I wouldn't really care being beside a bottle depot, because It's not a big deal. Eventually that parcel of land had to be developed and the bottle depot will eventually go away. So I never really figured out what the big fuss was though.

Didn't make it into my Top 5, but its definitely worth mentioning

Bokimon
Feb 14, 2014, 3:59 AM
For Me.

1. Brookfield Place - The whole build out with the central atrium will be the nicest of all office towers in the entire city. The multitude of uses will be ground breaking.
2. Telus Sky - One of the most epic pieces of architectural work I have ever seen attempted in this conservative 'tried tested and true' brainwash in this city where many deep seeded developers or architects lack the worldly vision to pull off such a feat. Go BIG or go home.
3. Manulife Tower - More of an infill project but this SOM project is a fresh take on their homage to the Calgary skyline. It will be their best project since FCC. Love the fish layout on its plans. No stupid squares and conventional box profile but something more organic. BOMA efficiency will not be in the high 90's that many of us here are obsessed with but an amount good enough that it will be fully leased and become a destination in itself.
4. Renaissance Club Sport - This 4.5 star hotel being 2 blocks from me will be a sure boost to the hotel business and is a handsome addition to the beltline. It is about time we have a higher end brand planting its footings in the beltline rather than downtown.
5. City Center l and ll - This 800 or 900k sq.ft tower under construction is finally good to see after years of redesign and rumours. Anybody remember that travesty of a design which mocked the Chrysler Tower? The Glass shard version after that looked pretty wicked but I can take this version too as it is quite classy and brings a feel of elegance. Combine the winter garden of this and the neighboring Jameson Place, this part of the city will be a nice escape for an afternoon oasis of calm and zen.

I left out Eau Claire, The new Library, Hines Atco lands, and the GWL 7 Tower until at least a DP is in for one of the phases.

RyLucky
Feb 14, 2014, 4:13 AM
Holy bananas, this thread makes me excited.

Surprised nobody mentioned Mount Royal Village & Urban Fair.

O-tacular
Feb 14, 2014, 4:19 AM
1) Eau Claire redevelopment

2) Marriott club sport

3) Cantos

4) Central Library

5) Telus Sky

O-tacular
Feb 14, 2014, 4:23 AM
1. Eau Claire/7 towers development - these will revolutionize living downtown and bolster vibrancy .. Plus the Eau Claire redevelopment just looks so awesome and futuristic, it will be a crown jewel on the skyline looking across the river

2. East Village - NMC, the new library, nicely designed condo's, The Riff, RioCan's development .. Downtown will never be the same when this is done

3. Telus Sky - Architecture in Calgary's skyline takes a step forward with this beauty

4. Brookfield - the impact of the crown remains to be seen, but that plaza level may just create a central hub for downtown Calgary

5. Manulife - love this mid rise tower .. Another solid addition to the booming 5th St corridor

Wow there's so much happening I forgot about Manulife! Shit it is like the 2005/6 boom again!

*Stardust*
Feb 14, 2014, 4:26 AM

I'm very excited about this. I had to cut this one as well. If I had a Top 10 it would definitely be on there. Both phases!

I think what would bump this up my list is if there was a movie theatre announced. Beltline needs a movie theatre!

O-tacular
Feb 14, 2014, 4:27 AM
For Me.

1. Brookfield Place - The whole build out with the central atrium will be the nicest of all office towers in the entire city. The multitude of uses will be ground breaking.
2. Telus Sky - One of the most epic pieces of architectural work I have ever seen attempted in this conservative 'tried tested and true' brainwash in this city where many deep seeded developers or architects lack the worldly vision to pull off such a feat. Go BIG or go home.
3. Manulife Tower - More of an infill project but this SOM project is a fresh take on their homage to the Calgary skyline. It will be their best project since FCC. Love the fish layout on its plans. No stupid squares and conventional box profile but something more organic. BOMA efficiency will not be in the high 90's that many of us here are obsessed with but an amount good enough that it will be fully leased and become a destination in itself.
4. Renaissance Club Sport - This 4.5 star hotel being 2 blocks from me will be a sure boost to the hotel business and is a handsome addition to the beltline. It is about time we have a higher end brand planting its footings in the beltline rather than downtown.
5. City Center l and ll - This 800 or 900k sq.ft tower under construction is finally good to see after years of redesign and rumours. Anybody remember that travesty of a design which mocked the Chrysler Tower? The Glass shard version after that looked pretty wicked but I can take this version too as it is quite classy and brings a feel of elegance. Combine the winter garden of this and the neighboring Jameson Place, this part of the city will be a nice escape for an afternoon oasis of calm and zen.

I left out Eau Claire, The new Library, Hines Atco lands, and the GWL 7 Tower until at least a DP is in for one of the phases.

What? That must have been before my time on SSP. I remember the glass shard but no Chrysler building rip off. Could someone post a link to it or some thing? I'm curious.

H.E.Pennypacker
Feb 14, 2014, 5:42 AM
It's kind of ridiculous how many promising projects that are under way, close to being under way, or have applied for DP's

Wooster
Feb 14, 2014, 6:12 AM
1. Undoubtedly the Central Library

2. Telus Sky

3. Eau Claire Market

4. Mount Royal Village West (Urban Fare and Bosa tower)

5. 8th Street corridor (These kinds of projects can be more transformative than buildings)

*Stardust*
Feb 14, 2014, 6:08 PM
1) Eau Claire redevelopment

2) Marriott club sport

3) Cantos

4) Central Library

5) Telus Sky

Marriot Club Sport seems to be very popular around here. I'm worried all this talk about it being on hold is gonna put the whole project in limbo :( I hope this is not the case

Habanero
Feb 14, 2014, 6:13 PM

There are just too may exciting things to mention all of them. :cheers:

Spring2008
Feb 14, 2014, 6:51 PM
1. Undoubtedly the Central Library

2. Telus Sky

3. Eau Claire Market

4. Mount Royal Village West (Urban Fare and Bosa tower)

5. 8th Street corridor (These kinds of projects can be more transformative than buildings)

Speaking of ur number 1 pick:

New library boss wants to get a read on Calgary

BY CHRIS NELSON, CALGARY HERALD FEBRUARY 13, 2014
For a man who has been in the same job for a quarter of a century, Bill Ptacek is quick on his feet when the right chance comes along.

As a young man from the tough, south side of Chicago, he didn’t wait when he found the right girl 38 years ago. He and Margaret were walking down the aisle two months after their first date.

Now, at the age of 63, he is making another bold move in leaving the job as head of one of America’s most successful library services and moving north across the border.

This month Ptacek takes over as CEO of Calgary’s public libraries, and it’s a challenge for which he is ready.

“The more I heard about what was going on in Calgary, the more interested I got, and especially when I heard about the mayor and what the city was doing and the commitment to the new Central Library and the way the community was growing.

“I felt Calgary had a vision for its growth and I got excited about that and how the library can be a part of that,” Ptacek said.

As the head of the King Country libraries near Seattle, Wash., Ptacek is proud of watching the system he has headed for 25 years grow into one of that country’s most acclaimed library services.

“We were the busiest libraries for downloading e-books in all of North America. I think that’s an indication of the technologically competent community we are serving here. But I also think it is a reflection that we have been attuned to what people are doing and what direction they are going in and trying to provide that content as much as possible,” he said.

Ptacek wants to get a feel for the Calgary community to understand how it can be best served.

“My philosophy of libraries is they need to be relevant to the communities they serve and you can’t divine what that is until you know the community.”

Ptacek said he will first try to understand how Calgary’s libraries operate, what the board wants and what the staff is doing — what are the successes and what are the challenges.

“You have a unique set of circumstances and a unique set of businesses and it is my experience that this is what differentiates communities. It can’t be cookie cutter. To be successful, it needs to really hone in on what is happening in that community,” he said.

For Ptacek, that sense of community goes beyond libraries. His eldest daughter Sara is confined to a wheelchair and dependent on her parents. It was always a complication whenever other libraries tried to lure him away from King County.

“The response from Calgary was so genuine when they said ‘Lets make it possible’ because Sara has always been a part of our lives. I was really touched by the folks talking to us who said we want it to be possible for Sara to be part of our community as well. Both myself and my wife were so taken by that,” he added.

Ptacek credits his wife with supporting him in making such a change at a time in life when many people are looking to wind down their professional careers.

“I am going to credit my wife for being the other half of this. We are the kind of people that respond well to these types of challenges. One of the things so attractive about this venture is that we don’t know anyone there. It’s an opportunity to experience a different place,” he said.

His wife is a librarian, too — working in schools — but when it came to baseball they were on different sides of a classic Chicago divide. Only true love matches overcome those obstacles.

“I grew up on the south side of Chicago and my wife grew up on the north side, so it’s a mixed marriage. She was a Cubs fan but I’ve never gone to Wrigley Field. I’m a Sox fan.”

“We were at our first date after Christmas in 1978 and we got married in February 1979. So after a couple of dates we got married, and we have been married for 35 years.”

The couple have three daughters: Sara, 34, Molly, 33, and Gretchen, 31.

Ptacek worked in libraries in Chicago before heading up systems in Idaho and Kentucky and eventually King County.

Much has changed but Ptacek believes libraries are more relevant than ever in the digital revolution.

“As I talk to my colleagues across North America there are certainly some with communities in trouble and you are always competing with the other civic services, but I think generally if libraries can create a vision that they are part of the community, a place where people can come together over ideas, I think that concept is not alien to modern life.

“In fact, I think we are in a bit of a golden age.

“I know some people wonder if libraries are going to be relevant. Well, libraries are going about their business reinventing themselves and are doing great things,” added Ptacek.

After 25 years, Bill Ptacek begins some reinvention of his own this month. He can’t wait to get going.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/story.html?id=9506139

geotag277
Feb 14, 2014, 6:59 PM
A few that haven't been mentioned that I am excited about:

Kings on 4th - I think this one has potential with a few tweaks and it might even surprise us with it's height (allusions to 60 stories have been made).

Qualex-Landmark's new project on 11th ave & 2nd st. This is such a prime location, I have a feeling they are going to pull out all the stops for this one.

Calgarian
Feb 14, 2014, 7:05 PM
Telus Sky
Eau Claire Market
Central Library
East Village Riff (and connection through city hall to Stephen Ave)
Riverwalk around Stampede Park to Talisman Centre

DizzyEdge
Feb 14, 2014, 7:25 PM
In no particular order and yes these are more zones than specific developments:

- West end of East Village: Library, developments around Simmons, National Music Centre

- The park that Enoch Sales house is to be moved to (because I'm sick of worrying about that house)

- The large development on the last two blocks by Eau Claire + the development on the same block as Shaw, so that blocks of parking separating Prince's Island from downtown will be no more

- Anything anyone is planning for Centre Street / 16th ave North near centre street (Because I live in the area and since I couldn't afford a SFH closer to DT, I want DT to come to me :) )

- 100 block of 7th Avenue (to secure the future of those buildings, plus amazingly improve the area)

Honourable mentions

- I don't think anything is planned but very interested in what might go by sunalta station, 10th avenue could turn into something really cool.

- I've always been (and still am) concerned about block razing redevelopment in Hillhurst/Sunnyside. But I will say that the architectural quality of Pixel and now Lido really helps. I really want to see future redelopment of the area match that quality. The way I look at it is some lament the lost of the historic houses in the area, and some don't really care, but I don't think anyone looking at a development like the St John's one has any thoughts that 100 years from now people will be loving it's architecture. If you must replace appreciated historic buildings, replace them with buildings of a quality which might be valued as buildings in the future.

woychukb
Feb 14, 2014, 7:25 PM
As a resident of Victoria Park I'm biased towards projects that will improve the neighborhood:

Marriott ClubSport
Curtis Block
Central Library
Telus Sky
Cantos

Surrealplaces
Feb 14, 2014, 7:28 PM
#1 Telus Sky
Central Library
Eau Claire Market
Mount Royal Village both phases
Marriott Club Sport

technomad
Feb 14, 2014, 7:45 PM
1 - Telus Sky. I'm a huge BIG fan and this one is just stunning... :slob:

2 - Place 10. Disappears another block of rail dt, but more importantly sets a new bar for how to develop along the underpasses.

3 - Mr Sub site. Love the look and scale of this one, and sets a new standard for 16 Av N to follow.

4 - Eau Claire Market. I generally prefer more granular builds, different buildings from different eras over full block at once developments, but they've really nailed this, best current large scale project IMO.

5 - NMC. Could end up being the nicest cultural project in the province, though I'd love to see it topped by the new library!

O-tacular
Feb 14, 2014, 8:04 PM
Marriot Club Sport seems to be very popular around here. I'm worried all this talk about it being on hold is gonna put the whole project in limbo :( I hope this is not the case

To me It has the most metropolitan big city feel of any proposals currently. Also it's the most incongruent with what we normally see with point towers everywhere. I really hope it goes ahead and isn't cursed to disappear in limbo.

O-tacular
Feb 14, 2014, 8:05 PM
Can I add one for a fantasy favourite? Something to fill the pit of the sky tower site. Man it is unbelievable that thing is still sitting there not even capped to grade like 7 years after the fact. Drove by it today and what a hole that creates on 10th ave.

*Stardust*
Feb 14, 2014, 8:09 PM
Can I add one for a fantasy favourite? Something to fill the pit of the sky tower site. Man it is unbelievable that thing is still sitting there not even capped to grade like 7 years after the fact. Drove by it today and what a hole that creates on 10th ave.

Which one is that?

floobie
Feb 14, 2014, 8:22 PM
So much stuff!

1. Eau Claire Stuff. If done properly, I feel like this development can be the catalyst that transforms downtown Calgary from a CBD with a few pockets of activity outside of business hours, to a vibrant, 24/7 hub.

2. Brookfield Place. Both for new tallest status, and for the gorgeous looking plaza or square or whatever they're calling it. It looks like it'll be an actual destination where... things can happen. Not another sterile, deserted, office building entrance.

3. Telus Sky. Another >200m tower, and a stunning one at that. And it's actually going to be mixed use. I'm all for having more non-office towers going up downtown.

4. National Music Centre. Definitely a place I'll be wanting to check out. Can't wait to go there and soak in some inspiration.

5. Central Library. More public space downtown. More reasons for Calgarians to, well, go downtown.

Honorable Mentions: The crap load of residential projects in the Beltline and East Village. More than I can keep track of! I'm very excited to see how Calgary looks once a good chunk of these are done!

Overall, it's a very interesting time to be living here. More and more, my list of things to complain about is being reduced to "winter", "mosquitos", and "Stampede". As a life-long Calgarian, I've definitely been itching to live elsewhere for a while. But, to see Calgary develop the way it is... exciting stuff!

MasterG
Feb 14, 2014, 9:05 PM
1. 8th Street master plan: Very overdue and a critical piece to securing urbanity in Calgary into the next few decades. I would include the Mount Royal Village redevelopment in this one, as it is a crucial addition that takes us from small city to BIG-city.

2. Cycletrack Network: Revolutionize the way short-trips are done in the inner city. Not all may be built right away, but gaining a N-S and E-W connector through the entire core / Beltline will be enough to galvanize the entire thing.

3. Telus Sky: Because its very tall and pretty.

4. Eau Claire: Same reason as everyone else. Will truly give a central location to the city and integrates well all aspects: the park, plaza, retail, housing (1,000+ units!!) and will push the area over the critical threshold of density to be truly bustling. I will lump the 7-tower project in with this as it is largely the same benefits to the area (another 1,000+ units!!). The more the better.

5. Green-line BRT tied with East Village: huge project and will impact the way that the city grows and develops. Will do more to connect the East parts of the City to the core than anything in years.

Can't wait for these to get going.

Govertical
Feb 14, 2014, 10:28 PM
#1 (tie) telus sky and eau Claire redevelopment.
2 green line.
3 national music center
4 new library ( can't friggin wait!!!!!)
5 eau claire 7 tower project.

craner
Feb 14, 2014, 10:31 PM
1. Brookfield Place - New tallest! (although I wish it was taller). Excited to see how the glazing, rounded corners & crown turn out.

2. Telus Sky - Very unique design (love the protruding ice cubes look) and another tower that surpasses SEC in height. Will be great to watch rise at the same time as Brookfield (I hope).

3. Kings on 4th - I really want to see some height further west in the skyline.

4. Guardian - Stretch that skyline vertically & horizontally baby!! Also sets a bar to be surpassed (height wise) for residential in this City.

5. New Library - Simply a landmark project for the City, I'm very anxious to see design. Hoping it helps address the connectivity of the EV to downtown currently blocked by City Hall.

A few Notes:
- The new Arena, and for godsake please FOOTBALL STADIUM would be #2 or #3 if officially announced.
- I'm very excited about the Southwest Ring Road but I kept my list to buildings only.
- I love the new Manulife building but if only it was at least twice the height.
- Honourable mention to NMC, City Centre II, and yes even 3EC (please don't throw things at me).

Great thread - we have an embarrassment of riches to choose from in this city, really relishing the exiting times we are having in Calgary.

:cheers:

Jimby
Feb 14, 2014, 10:56 PM
Chinook Centre 2 million sq ft expansion
Currie Barracks urban village
Brewery re-development Inglewood
Erlton mixed use by Anthem
Former CBE site

WaitWhat?
Feb 14, 2014, 11:20 PM
Former CBE site

That's a refreshing list. I'm afraid mine are more in line with the crowd:

1. New library
2. Eau Claire
3. NMC
4. Telus Sky
5. Eau Claire 7 towers

Cage
Feb 14, 2014, 11:43 PM
My list of five anticipated developments:

(1) Southwest Ring Road construction schedule.
(2)New schools construction start and completion dates for the ~20 new schools the government has announced. Including reconstruction of Elbow Park School, combining new requirements on the inside with old architecture on the outside.
(3) Opening of the International Terminal and rollout of the features. Also announcement of when dry run tests will be located (e.g. looing for volunteers to test the passenger throughput).
(4) Terms of Reference for consultation and engagement processes for Corridor Studies. Specifically what the new Crowchild Corridor study will look like.
(5) Long term Flood Mitigation proposals. I anticipate there to be some interesting developments that will cause a lot of discussion for Calgarians. For example its starting to become apparent that Calgary could be faced with the prospect of chosing between flood mitigation and infrastructure projects such as new Route Ahead.

*Stardust*
Feb 15, 2014, 1:06 AM
Former CBE site

What's the plan for the brewery? Hasn't that been in talks forever?

jsbertram
Feb 15, 2014, 1:54 AM
My wish list:

1) Moon-base Alpha
2) Mars-base Alpha
3) ...

oh?
You meant terrestrial?

Jimby
Feb 15, 2014, 5:42 AM
What's the plan for the brewery? Hasn't that been in talks forever?

Don't know what they have planned, but on the M2i website they say they have a plan "brewing".

*Stardust*
Feb 15, 2014, 7:22 AM
Don't know what they have planned, but on the M2i website they say they have a plan "brewing".

Hmm just had an idea. Toronto has their Steam Whistle brewery downtown and Vancouver has their Granville Island brewery downtown. Wouldn't it be nice to have the Wild Rose brewery downtown as well? They could put it in Inglewood at the old brewery. It would make for a fun destination for people in the neighbourhood and for tourists. Just a thought ;)

Jimby
Feb 15, 2014, 7:34 AM
Hmm just had an idea. Toronto has their Steam Whistle brewery downtown and Vancouver has their Granville Island brewery downtown. Wouldn't it be nice to have the Wild Rose brewery downtown as well? They could put it in Inglewood at the old brewery. It would make for a fun destination for people in the neighbourhood and for tourists. Just a thought ;)

The reason the brewery located there was to tap into the aquifer so I wonder if a new brewery, like Wild Rose could do that?
I hope the project makes use of the historic structures on the property and fits into the existing neighbourhood. The property owner is one of the owners of EAP.

craner
Feb 15, 2014, 7:38 AM
Love the Inglewood Brewery idea, would be fantastic IMO.
Save the Buffalo!

Spring2008
Feb 15, 2014, 5:40 PM
Former CBE site

I wouldn't have really thought to pick these for my top 5, but interesting picks nonetheless. Bosa's working on a big mixed-use town centre for Currie Barracks. Lets hope the success of Garrison Woods rolls over this neighborhood.

Erlton and Chinook expansion have a lot of potential too. Macleod south of Chinook is more urban than north at the moment. Wtf?

WaitWhat?
Feb 15, 2014, 6:34 PM
The reason the brewery located there was to tap into the aquifer so I wonder if a new brewery, like Wild Rose could do that?
I hope the project makes use of the historic structures on the property and fits into the existing neighbourhood. The property owner is one of the owners of EAP.

I believe Wild Rose' new brewery is already under construction. Or at least the land is already bought. Not sure what the current status is.

Design-mind
Feb 15, 2014, 7:44 PM
Telus Sky
Verve (RIFF)
Manulife
Calgary Central Public Library
Mount Royal Village

DarthMalgus
Feb 15, 2014, 7:46 PM
Only reason a new arena/stadium isn't on the list is because they haven't been announced yet. Only picking stuff that is likely to go ahead, but not yet u/c:
1. Eau Claire Redevelopment, so much potential there.
2. Library - badly needed to connect downtown with EV. Also need to look at opportunities to renovate the Municipal Building to improve its permeability and allow it to serve as a better link between the two.
3. Telus Sky - freaking gorgeous.:slob:
4. Verve and "The Riff", East Village (need to keep the EV momentum going and get some mixed use in there )
5. City Centre 2 - and let it include a new-to-Calgary high-end hotel please. seriously, for a city of Calgary's size and importance, we severely lack high quality hotels. Why aren't these hotel developers getting moving?

The Urbanist
Feb 15, 2014, 8:15 PM
Great thread idea

1. New Arena/Stadium - I would love to get a look at the proposals for this.
2. Rumoured Gateway Project - A 70-80 storey skyscraper could really add some diversity to the skyline.
3. Harvard's Eau Claire Re-development - I'm really interested to see how the area's public realm will change with this project. The renderings show some great ideas.
4. Telus Sky - Gorgeous.
5. East Village - I can't say enough good things about the job CMLC has done. Calgary is in desperate need of this mid-rise, village type product. Jane Jacobs would love this.

DizzyEdge
Feb 15, 2014, 10:21 PM

They apparently also found natural gas on the site after as well

http://ww2.glenbow.org/dbimages/arc4/o/na-2119-1.jpg
http://ww2.glenbow.org/search/archivesPhotosResults.aspx?AC=GET_RECORD&XC=/search/archivesPhotosResults.aspx&BU=&TN=IMAGEBAN&SN=AUTO14489&SE=1055&RN=18&MR=10&TR=0&TX=1000&ES=0&CS=0&XP=&RF=WebResults&EF=&DF=WebResultsDetails&RL=0&EL=0&DL=0&NP=255&ID=&MF=WPEngMsg.ini&MQ=&TI=0&DT=&ST=0&IR=26075&NR=0&NB=1&SV=0&BG=&FG=&QS=ArchivesPhotosSearch&OEX=ISO-8859-1&OEH=ISO-8859-1

Supplied gas to brewery and illuminated 9th Avenue SE

Bigtime
Feb 15, 2014, 10:25 PM
1) Telus Sky
2) Eau Claire Market redevelopment
3) Brookfield Place
4) East Village
5) My house :)

O-tacular
Feb 15, 2014, 11:35 PM
I believe Wild Rose' new brewery is already under construction. Or at least the land is already bought. Not sure what the current status is.

Where is it located? Which is the brewery that's in Foothills industrial north of Glenmore and east of 52nd? Isn't that them?

O-tacular
Feb 15, 2014, 11:37 PM
They apparently also found natural gas on the site after as well

http://ww2.glenbow.org/dbimages/arc4/o/na-2119-1.jpg
http://ww2.glenbow.org/search/archivesPhotosResults.aspx?AC=GET_RECORD&XC=/search/archivesPhotosResults.aspx&BU=&TN=IMAGEBAN&SN=AUTO14489&SE=1055&RN=18&MR=10&TR=0&TX=1000&ES=0&CS=0&XP=&RF=WebResults&EF=&DF=WebResultsDetails&RL=0&EL=0&DL=0&NP=255&ID=&MF=WPEngMsg.ini&MQ=&TI=0&DT=&ST=0&IR=26075&NR=0&NB=1&SV=0&BG=&FG=&QS=ArchivesPhotosSearch&OEX=ISO-8859-1&OEH=ISO-8859-1

Lol! At first I thought it was a ghost.

WaitWhat?
Feb 17, 2014, 6:07 PM
Where is it located? Which is the brewery that's in Foothills industrial north of Glenmore and east of 52nd? Isn't that them?

I believe you're right. I did a little digging and it looks like they started brewing at their new facility in December.

Tropics
Feb 17, 2014, 7:45 PM
1) Convention Centre: If this goes off we will get an extremely iconic architectural structure that will push our economy and future growth forward.
2) Eau Claire: Absolutely awesome development in what might become the heart of the city.
3) City Centre: The renderings look amazing, I am hoping we see the green spaces on the tiers of the buildings actually become a reality.
4) East Village: I was not really all that interested in this area until I saw the flyover video. The developments with their inner pedestrian walkways of retail are absolutely outstanding and should be what the city pushes for in TOD style developments such as Westbrook Village.
5) Westbrook Village: This seems to be on the backburner. The area had a very strong plan with a central park and a great mix of retail and residential. Would love to see the area with mixed use similar to this.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-In305YCzeZI/UdnW0YohDYI/AAAAAAAAlX4/HZAGrx97sp0/s1600/GREENLAND%2BGROUP%2BCHENGDU%2BEAST%2BVILLAGE%2BBY%2BAEDAS04.jpg From aasarchitecture.com

*Stardust*
Feb 17, 2014, 7:58 PM
1) Convention Centre: If this goes off we will get an extremely iconic architectural structure that will push our economy and future growth forward.
2) Eau Claire: Absolutely awesome development in what might become the heart of the city.
3) City Centre: The renderings look amazing, I am hoping we see the green spaces on the tiers of the buildings actually become a reality.
4) East Village: I was not really all that interested in this area until I saw the flyover video. The developments with their inner pedestrian walkways of retail are absolutely outstanding and should be what the city pushes for in TOD style developments such as Westbrook Village.
5) Westbrook Village: This seems to be on the backburner. The area had a very strong plan with a central park and a great mix of retail and residential. Would love to see the area with mixed use similar to this.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-In305YCzeZI/UdnW0YohDYI/AAAAAAAAlX4/HZAGrx97sp0/s1600/GREENLAND%2BGROUP%2BCHENGDU%2BEAST%2BVILLAGE%2BBY%2BAEDAS04.jpg From aasarchitecture.com

That's an interesting render....where's that suppose to be?

Tropics
Feb 17, 2014, 8:59 PM
That's an interesting render....where's that suppose to be?

I think it is in China. That is somewhat similar to the stuff they are building in East Village, but even more elaborate. It is what I would LOVE to see in Westbrook.

lorenavedon
Feb 18, 2014, 2:53 PM
3EC would be at the top of my list if it wasn't vaporware

Jay in Cowtown
Feb 18, 2014, 11:33 PM
1) Even the rumor of a new football stadium/Flames arena
2) Brookfield Place
3) Tanger Outlets at Calaway Park (no shit either, excited as hell!)
4) Telus Sky
5) Chinook Centre expansion

Surrealplaces
Feb 19, 2014, 4:22 PM
I think it is in China. That is somewhat similar to the stuff they are building in East Village, but even more elaborate. It is what I would LOVE to see in Westbrook.

I'm hoping the new 7 tower proposal for Eau Claire has some similarities.

Tropics
Feb 19, 2014, 4:33 PM
I'm hoping the new 7 tower proposal for Eau Claire has some similarities.

Indeed, that is another area that should have these type of inner concourse retail walkways on multiple levels. With the amount of glass in that development and this type of design of some areas it would look amazing.

Spring2008
Feb 19, 2014, 4:50 PM
3EC would be at the top of my list if it wasn't vaporware

Another one bites the dust! lol

Calgarian
Feb 19, 2014, 7:29 PM
I think the Riff is our best bet for something like that.