Feb 11, 2014, 8:29 PM
http://i58.tinypic.com/20tm614.jpg

Galway - http://www.galwaynl.ca

SignalHillHiker
Feb 11, 2014, 9:23 PM
Looks just like Mount Pearl to me. :D

niccanning
Feb 11, 2014, 11:29 PM
Lots of possibilities here but I fear it will just be typical sprawl. Time will tell!

SignalHillHiker
Feb 12, 2014, 1:18 AM
Be not afraid. King Danny has declared that it will exhibit the best of contemporary urban planning. :D And so shall it be!

J_Murphy
Feb 12, 2014, 11:37 AM
Be not afraid. King Danny has declared that it will exhibit the best of contemporary urban planning. :D And so shall it be!

"Created for families, businesspeople and retailers alike, Galway will be designed around a Town Square concept, complete with all of the amenities of modern life.

Neighbourhoods will feature an abundance of natural elements such as large open, green spaces, and connecting trails for walking, running and biking."

This gives me some optimism that it will be a bit different from, let's say something like Paradise.

SignalHillHiker
Feb 12, 2014, 12:12 PM
Me too. :D At least it's going to be a functioning community, paying full city taxes.

Architype
Feb 13, 2014, 3:09 AM
Hmm, the name is not very original; there is already a Galway in Ireland. ;)
But then, that seems to be the whole point, but why?
Unless it is going to resemble the real Galway, which is doubtful.

As for the actual meaning of the name, "Galway . . . signifies a rocky barren country".
http://www.galway.net/galwayguide/history/hardiman/chapter1/origin_of_name.html

grovesNL
Feb 13, 2014, 6:30 AM

As for the actual meaning of the name, "Galway . . . signifies a rocky barren country".
Danny Williams's mother's maiden name is Galway.

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2014-02-10/article-3609700/Williams-names-development-Galway-in-honour-of-his-Irish-roots/1

Architype
Feb 13, 2014, 9:50 AM
Danny Williams's mother's maiden name is Galway.

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2014-02-10/article-3609700/Williams-names-development-Galway-in-honour-of-his-Irish-roots/1

In that case, not a bad name after all. In spite of what I said, much of the new world is already named after the old world.

Arrakis
Feb 13, 2014, 5:56 PM
Who says the name has to be original? I guess he can name it whatever he likes.

And what is Newfoundland but a rocky barren country? Seems fitting. LOL

overboard
Feb 14, 2014, 2:25 AM
Spraaaaaaaawl. I guess I shouldn't expect more; Danny Williams is a businessperson and this is a money-maker. "Town square[s]" and green spaces don't change the fact that most of these folks will still commute. Giving them their own Stavanger isn't going to make this a healthy, sustainable, or "modern" community. At least there's tons of parking! I'm cynical, but I really would like to see any evidence that this won't be more of the same. Promises of chain stores aren't doing it.

Architype
Feb 14, 2014, 2:56 AM
I felt I misspoke about the name, it's not that important; just that it was my first impression. As for planning, the only new "revolutionary" ideas that have come along in the past few years have been "new urbanism", or high density urban type developments exemplified by "Vancouverism". Unless the planning embodies some of these ideas, there really aren't any alternatives to it being some form of sprawl.

Townie709
Feb 14, 2014, 11:06 AM
Spraaaaaaaawl. I guess I shouldn't expect more; Danny Williams is a businessperson and this is a money-maker. "Town square[s]" and green spaces don't change the fact that most of these folks will still commute. Giving them their own Stavanger isn't going to make this a healthy, sustainable, or "modern" community. At least there's tons of parking! I'm cynical, but I really would like to see any evidence that this won't be more of the same. Promises of chain stores aren't doing it.

I'm sure it won't be quite as good as what Danny is promising, but I think it will be better then what you're suggesting. I think it helps that they have a plan in place to create a sense of community and not building subdivision upon subdivision with no plan or vision im mind (Paradise)

Have faith! Don't go "overboard" ;)

Copes
Feb 14, 2014, 1:16 PM
I welcome the opportunity for someone to pleasantly surprise me, however, I'm really not expecting much from Galway.

It's another suburb, IMO. "Celebration Florida" will be awesome, IF that's how it comes out. Until I see a plan, I'm pretty warm on this.

wmemeadusjr
Feb 22, 2014, 6:51 PM
I'm glad to see Galway has it's own thread. Given the size of this project, it certainly warrants one.

wmemeadusjr
Feb 22, 2014, 7:01 PM
I really hope this development will be unique and different. Some of the things I would like to see are mature trees planted in all areas of the development whether it be the residential, commercial or industrial sections. I would also like to see the wires buried. This was done in parts of St. John's and Mount Pearl in the 70's and eventually given up in favour of running the electrical, telephone and cable wires on back of homes instead. This still looks like a mess to me and is not very aesthetically pleasing. Most cities in other parts of Canada are required to bury all utilities in newer areas. Only here in Newfoundland have we taken a step backwards. Remaining on the utility topic, I would like to see some unique lighting such as lamp posts and the use of LED lighting. Pleasantville now has LED lighting as part of it's re-development. The new light poles they are attached too are also on concrete bases which will keep them from tilting and bending over time because of wind, ground settlement and snow plow damage.

Pearlgate
Feb 22, 2014, 7:03 PM
Here's hoping it won't be Paradise.

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 22, 2014, 8:51 PM
I'm glad to see Galway has it's own thread. Given the size of this project, it certainly warrants one.

Given the size of development there may need to be more than one thread on this eventually :P

I really hope this development will be unique and different. Some of the things I would like to see are mature trees planted in all areas of the development whether it be the residential, commercial or industrial sections. I would also like to see the wires buried. This was done in parts of St. John's and Mount Pearl in the 70's and eventually given up in favour of running the electrical, telephone and cable wires on back of homes instead. This still looks like a mess to me and is not very aesthetically pleasing. Most cities in other parts of Canada are required to bury all utilities in newer areas. Only here in Newfoundland have we taken a step backwards. Remaining on the utility topic, I would like to see some unique lighting such as lamp posts and the use of LED lighting. Pleasantville now has LED lighting as part of it's re-development. The new light poles they are attached too are also on concrete bases which will keep them from tilting and bending over time because of wind, ground settlement and snow plow damage.

I like all these ideas :cheers: Would especially love the planting of mature trees considering how many of the new developments have NO trees, let alone something that'll take a few years to grow.

Copes
Feb 27, 2014, 12:40 PM

Pleasantville also has the underground electrical you spoke of. It does look great.

That said, installation of underground electrical is very, very time consuming and expensive. It definitely shoots up development costs. St. John's already has development costs through the roof, which is one of the main contributors to our steadily rising home prices. While I like underground electrical and would like to see more of it, home-buyers will have to be willing to pay for the installation in their neighbourhoods. They're going to see the cost come back to them in the form of an extra few thousand dollars on their home price.

Gravelley
Feb 27, 2014, 1:36 PM
Pleasantville also has the underground electrical you spoke of. It does look great.

That said, installation of underground electrical is very, very time consuming and expensive. It definitely shoots up development costs. St. John's already has development costs through the roof, which is one of the main contributors to our steadily rising home prices. While I like underground electrical and would like to see more of it, home-buyers will have to be willing to pay for the installation in their neighbourhoods. They're going to see the cost come back to them in the form of an extra few thousand dollars on their home price.

Thats why the only other sub division i know of that has this is king william and well i think we all know why that is. The reason i think its not as popular here as the mainland city's is because digging here sucks basically rock the whole way, or a swamp no in between like in alberta and that.

PoscStudent
Feb 27, 2014, 4:36 PM
Virginia Park has underground electrical.

ThisIsJustePourDire
Mar 14, 2014, 2:26 PM
I created a concept for a Shopping Centre in Galway named GlencrestLake. Its similar to Bayer's Lake in Halifax, but this one is smaller. This photo is not to scale, but I decided to share it just for you guys to see what I can improve, change and what you like about it.

Please contact me if you have any questions - handrigan2000@gmail.com

http://i57.tinypic.com/2h3xvzq.png

Merci Beaucoup!

SignalHillHiker
Mar 14, 2014, 2:27 PM
Looks good. :D

I've love to see a cohesive, four-floor mall with a parking garage, though. :D Surrounded by high-density apartment/condo buildings. :haha:

Horsell
Mar 14, 2014, 2:45 PM

I've love to see a cohesive, four-floor mall with a parking garage, though. :D Surrounded by high-density apartment/condo buildings. :haha:
A new Mall would be nice, especially in our climate. Park your car once (or get off the bus once...for you "mass transit" types...lol) and do all your shopping without having to go outside. But them I would miss getting in and out of may car, brushing off snow every ten minutes a la "power Centre" shopping.

ThisIsJustePourDire
Mar 14, 2014, 2:51 PM

I did have a mall in Concept One,
Ill upload it a couple of minutes

ThisIsJustePourDire
Mar 14, 2014, 2:53 PM
Here is Concept One!

http://i61.tinypic.com/zlry8n.png

SignalHillHiker
Mar 14, 2014, 3:08 PM
Even better! :D

mrjanejacobs
Mar 15, 2014, 8:06 PM
Here is Concept One!

http://i61.tinypic.com/zlry8n.png

haha - wow. I love your enthusiasm and initiative.

Alas, I cannot support any concept plan that reinforces (and relies on) personal-vehicle transportation.

Concept 1 is certainly more favourable. But I would like to think we could be much more ambitious with our shopping districts.

I actually think a protest needs to be stimulated against the Galway Power Centre, in general.

mrjanejacobs
Mar 15, 2014, 8:09 PM
Oh! Also - nice Graphic Design!

niccanning
Mar 15, 2014, 10:43 PM
I actually think a protest needs to be stimulated against the Galway Power Centre, in general.

Agree

grovesNL
Mar 16, 2014, 11:21 PM
What are these concepts to be used for? Are they actually being submitted somewhere?

overboard
Mar 17, 2014, 12:57 AM
I believe they're just exercises in (sub)urban planning. I doubt Mr. Williams will be taking much public input.

ThisIsJustePourDire
Mar 17, 2014, 11:44 AM
What are these concepts to be used for? Are they actually being submitted somewhere?

They're not being submitted, I just do it in my spare time!

Arrakis
Mar 19, 2014, 2:33 PM
I agree. Even though shopping malls seem to be a thing of the past in North America, here in Newfoundland it would make more sense especially with our horrible weather that we have for the majority of the year. I was down at Stavanger Drive the other day and it was so friggin cold, I decided to head home rather than get in and out of my car several times.

A new Mall would be nice, especially in our climate. Park your car once (or get off the bus once...for you "mass transit" types...lol) and do all your shopping without having to go outside. But them I would miss getting in and out of may car, brushing off snow every ten minutes a la "power Centre" shopping.

john98642
Mar 20, 2014, 12:54 AM
Concept two looks great.

Skeptical that AX and Abercrombie would come here though, they both have not yet set up shop in Halifax.

jeddy1989
Mar 20, 2014, 10:04 PM
I want a new maaaaaalll!!!!! lol and they can put a H&M in there for God sakes and a Forever 21 and a Zara :) BAM instant success hahaha

Arrakis
Mar 21, 2014, 2:25 PM
As already mentioned beforehand, even though the concepts of enclosed malls is a dying trend across North America, I think Newfoundland bucks that trend only because the weather here sucks so much of the year.

I feel that the owners of The Avalon Mall are missing an opportunity here. They should be doing everything in their power to improve the flow and the choices of stores in the mall rather than turning it into a box store centre like they are doing now with all those strip stores outside of the main mall. They should build a second floor above the entire section from Fog City all the way down to Sears. I am sure it can be done. Though the owners of Avalon Mall unfortunately don't seem to have any idea of flow or architecture. Most of the mall feels like being in a subway station in Toronto with low ceilings and little natural light.

jeddy1989
Mar 21, 2014, 3:00 PM
As already mentioned beforehand, even though the concepts of enclosed malls is a dying trend across North America, I think Newfoundland bucks that trend only because the weather here sucks so much of the year.

I feel that the owners of The Avalon Mall are missing an opportunity here. They should be doing everything in their power to improve the flow and the choices of stores in the mall rather than turning it into a box store centre like they are doing now with all those strip stores outside of the main mall. They should build a second floor above the entire section from Fog City all the way down to Sears. I am sure it can be done. Though the owners of Avalon Mall unfortunately don't seem to have any idea of flow or architecture. Most of the mall feels like being in a subway station in Toronto with low ceilings and little natural light.

it might be dying in North America but in Europe it's still going strong (and is relatively new in many countries) and is incorporated in high density areas very well. Also like you said with the weather here...

This bad boy in Frankfurt is pretty cool (I was there a couple of years ago) it looks like a giant punched the wall but then the glass turns into a funnel that goes up through the centre of the mall.

The mall is on a pedestrian street will lots of shopping around it as well.

http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2011/08/ZEG_PR_3DL_RGB-HDR_70871.jpg

http://www.stroiinfo.com/userfiles/2myzeilshoppingmall.jpg

http://arch2o.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Arch2o-MyZeil-Shopping-Mall-Studio-Fuksas-37.jpg

http://arch2o.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Arch2o-MyZeil-Shopping-Mall-Studio-Fuksas-31.jpg

Architype
Mar 22, 2014, 8:53 PM
haha - wow. I love your enthusiasm and initiative.

Alas, I cannot support any concept plan that reinforces (and relies on) personal-vehicle transportation.

Concept 1 is certainly more favourable. But I would like to think we could be much more ambitious with our shopping districts.

Everything built at Galway will rely on personal vehicle transportation. You might as well hope for and support development which would make the most sense there. Also, as reported in the main thread, proposals with density seem to focus on, and be possible, only in suburban areas such as Selfridge Rd, Ladysmith Dr., etc., away from the city centre. The only areas where there might be less dependency on personal auto transportation are within the city centre itself. It is not a surprise to me that condo sales are down (as reported recently) if they continue to build them only in low density pedestrian unfriendly areas where they are still totally dependent on private transportation.

delesseps
Jun 5, 2014, 10:24 PM
From the Telegram for June 5, 2014 (http://www.thetelegram.com/Opinion/Editorials/2014-06-05/article-3751425/Draining-the-rain/1):

The watershed for the Waterford is more stressed every single year — and with major developers still using the cheaper “strip-off-every-piece-of-natural-groundcover” method of subdivision and industrial park construction, we can look forward to even more flood loading on our rivers and wastewater infrastructure.

The risk of flooding is one of many reasons I disapprove of new developments in the Southlands and the Leary's Brook watershed. Trees can hold a lot more water than grass or asphalt, and I've found new construction in Kenmount Terrace, Kelsey Drive, and Stavanger Drive to be a nightmare of parking lots and wide streets, with minimal vegetation. I haven't been given any reason to expect that Galway would be wildly different. We should all live in terror of the day when development is permitted above the 190 m contour, where shallow bedrock is more likely to exacerbate the increase in runoff. I know enough about hydrology to have approximately zero confidence in the ability of my fellow engineers to design storm-water retention that works as well as the existing, natural vegetation.

It's radical, but I suggest the City of St. John's should limit all future construction to the area north of Pitts Memorial Drive, at least until the Goulds gets a proper sewer system. There are lots of underused commercial and institutional sites within the existing built-up area that could be redeveloped. Pippy Park and the Windsor Lake watershed provide a northern limit to sprawl, and development in Paradise and CBS, unlike development in the Southlands, won't cause any increase in runoff to rivers in St. John's.

BigRedSpecial
Jun 6, 2014, 1:14 PM
I actually agree with this completely... I've always paid a great deal of attention to all the watersheds in the city and the impact development has on them (for a perfect example, look at Mundy Pond... what was once a large pond with an island changed to a pond with a peninsula, then two ponds, now a pond and a bog). In addition to the flooding/runoff concerns, the entire ecosystems are virtually destroyed.

The headwaters of South Brook are smack in the middle of Galway; I expect the brook to wither and die once development begins, except for during storms when the water has nowhere else to go.

J_Murphy
Jun 6, 2014, 1:22 PM
From the Telegram for June 5, 2014 (http://www.thetelegram.com/Opinion/Editorials/2014-06-05/article-3751425/Draining-the-rain/1):

The risk of flooding is one of many reasons I disapprove of new developments in the Southlands and the Leary's Brook watershed. Trees can hold a lot more water than grass or asphalt, and I've found new construction in Kenmount Terrace, Kelsey Drive, and Stavanger Drive to be a nightmare of parking lots and wide streets, with minimal vegetation. I haven't been given any reason to expect that Galway would be wildly different. We should all live in terror of the day when development is permitted above the 190 m contour, where shallow bedrock is more likely to exacerbate the increase in runoff. I know enough about hydrology to have approximately zero confidence in the ability of my fellow engineers to design storm-water retention that works as well as the existing, natural vegetation.

It's radical, but I suggest the City of St. John's should limit all future construction to the area north of Pitts Memorial Drive, at least until the Goulds gets a proper sewer system. There are lots of underused commercial and institutional sites within the existing built-up area that could be redeveloped. Pippy Park and the Windsor Lake watershed provide a northern limit to sprawl, and development in Paradise and CBS, unlike development in the Southlands, won't cause any increase in runoff to rivers in St. John's.

Look what happened shortly after they cut down a large patch of trees:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/glencrest-development-muddies-up-mount-pearl-pond-1.2429129?cmp=rss

Arrakis
Aug 20, 2014, 5:56 PM
Update from vocm on the Galway development.

http://www.vocm.com/mobile/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=48541

wmemeadusjr
Nov 6, 2014, 7:13 PM
Does anyone know anything about Galway? For such a massive project, there seems to be little news on it compared to other threads. This area has once again turned into a bee hive of activity with even more land being cleared. The Industrial section along the TCH looks like it could have an entrance open at any time. The Retail section off Ruth Avenue is full of equipment and office trailers. There are definitely big things going on there! I hope earlier rumours of Costco and Target are indeed true.

Chew
Nov 7, 2014, 2:41 PM
^Me too. As a west ender, I'm sick of the east end getting everything.

Arrakis
Nov 8, 2014, 3:20 AM
I really can't see stjohns supporting two Costcos. But hey you never know. Just a bit skeptical. And I doubt Target will be opening any other new stores for awhile after their disasterous launch nationwide.

Does anyone know anything about Galway? For such a massive project, there seems to be little news on it compared to other threads. This area has once again turned into a bee hive of activity with even more land being cleared. The Industrial section along the TCH looks like it could have an entrance open at any time. The Retail section off Ruth Avenue is full of equipment and office trailers. There are definitely big things going on there! I hope earlier rumours of Costco and Target are indeed true.

PoscStudent
Nov 8, 2014, 2:06 PM
Highly doubt Costco will have a second location in the metro area. Though a central location is plausible. As well I think Target has stopped their expansion for the time being.

J_Murphy
Nov 19, 2014, 11:46 AM
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=50856&latest=1

Blasting activity will be beginning today at the Galway Development.

Blasting at the site, which is visible from Pitts Memorial Drive, will continue over the next several months and should not cause any interruptions to the public.

Pennecon Heavy Civil has ensured proper safety precautions at the site, including the use of barricades and security personnel at all potential entrances.

BigRedSpecial
Dec 18, 2014, 10:40 PM
Is it still full steam ahead on Galway/Glencrest? I've been looking for a house for the past several months and the biggest trend I'm seeing is that nothing is moving at all; it's only a matter of time before prices come down (they're already trending that way).

I have to wonder, when they start pushing that many more single detatched homes, what will it do to the market as a whole? seems like there would be a glut of new properties when the existing properties aren't selling.

Arrakis
Jan 6, 2015, 2:11 PM
The Galway commercial big box park seems to be moving forward, much to the dismay of Mount Pearl.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/galway-development-proceeds-despite-mount-pearl-objections-1.2890801

wmemeadusjr
Jan 8, 2015, 7:18 PM
Found a map of Galway Big Box on City of St. John's site.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/files/CSJ_FileUpload/Planning/40%20Reservoir%20Rd.pdf

Arrakis
Jan 8, 2015, 8:09 PM

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/files/CSJ_FileUpload/Planning/40%20Reservoir%20Rd.pdf

Nice. Thanks for posting. Lots of roundabouts.

J_Murphy
Jan 9, 2015, 11:55 AM

Ugh, another typical big box store development with sprawing parking lots. Except this time with a few roundabouts. :yuck:

Arrakis
Feb 17, 2015, 12:33 PM
Looks like Galway is seeking to purchase some more property to give more access to the residential part of the development.

http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=52740&latest=1

JP4R
Feb 26, 2015, 9:44 PM
Nice. Thanks for posting. Lots of roundabouts.It's interesting that they seem to be planning to introduce roundabouts to the current Pitts Memorial Drive interchange (with Ruth Avenue) to replace the 4 way intersection x2 they have there now. Seems progressive, and a good idea!

JCE
Jun 5, 2015, 8:10 PM
Massive Retail/Shopping Centre announced.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/2015-06-04/article-4170660/Shopping-centre-announced-for-Galway-development/1

goodgrowth
Jun 5, 2015, 11:20 PM
Massive Retail/Shopping Centre announced.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/2015-06-04/article-4170660/Shopping-centre-announced-for-Galway-development/1

On one hand I am skeptical of the demand for such a large shopping centre. On the other I think of how bad the congestion is in the Stavanger area and how the Avalon Mall parking lot always seems full.

J_Murphy
Jun 6, 2015, 1:14 PM
On one hand I am skeptical of the demand for such a large shopping centre. On the other I think of how bad the congestion is in the Stavanger area and how the Avalon Mall parking lot always seems full.

"Williams said the retail section will be similar to the Stavanger Drive area.":uhh::(:hell:

SignalHillHiker
Jun 6, 2015, 1:51 PM
A buddy has seen much of the plan and said the entirety of Galway is less urban than Mount Pearl, and in some ways only slightly better than Paradise (i.e. it has sidewalks). Lots of huge, paved cul-de-sacs, etc.

There's nothing new or good about any of it. We were misled. We'd be better off not doing it and passing a law that no new development is permitted outside Columbus Drive for 100 years.

Marty_Mcfly
Jun 6, 2015, 2:35 PM
A buddy has seen much of the plan and said the entirety of Galway is less urban than Mount Pearl, and in some ways only slightly better than Paradise (i.e. it has sidewalks). Lots of huge, paved cul-de-sacs, etc.

There's nothing new or good about any of it. We were misled. We'd be better off not doing it and passing a law that no new development is permitted outside Columbus Drive for 100 years.

Salt the fields so naught may grow again. Erect a Danny Williams statue with the text of Ozymandias etched into it as a lesson to travelers.

Architype
Jul 2, 2015, 8:25 PM
I was just in St. John's for a few days, and noticed that on the highway, the sign(s?) still refers to it as "Glencrest". So, are both names to be used? The proposed urban form, or lack of it, is disappointing, but after all, it is still a suburban development, given its location.

PoscStudent
Jul 2, 2015, 8:28 PM
I was just in St. John's for a few days, and noticed that on the highway, the sign(s?) still refers to it as "Glencrest". So, are both names to be used? The proposed urban form, or lack of it, is disappointing, but after all, it is still a suburban development, given its location.

I think the industrial park is Glencrest.

Architype
Jul 3, 2015, 4:25 AM
Thanks, that makes sense.

Stryker
Jul 8, 2015, 7:33 PM

I think you folk have mislead yourselves.

With oil down the threshold has passed.

Newfoundland's population is bound to decline at this point, its hard to imagine anything better than what is.

Oil is set to be at a low as the demographic burden of the boomers is about to peak.

It's better to hope the province ages gracefully and our rural areas decline faster than were expected. It might lesson the burden of an entire province retiring all at once.

PoscStudent
Jul 9, 2015, 1:30 PM
While the province's population may be declining I doubt you'll see the same thing happen in St. John's, though growth will likely slow down.

Stryker
Jul 9, 2015, 6:31 PM
While the province's population may be declining I doubt you'll see the same thing happen in St. John's, though growth will likely slow down.

I doubt it will start contracting yet, but I bet good money it will have clearly declined by 2030, in decline by 2025, and peaking before 2020.

We've been mislead to think were somehow a low tax rate province, I suspect will be at the top of the list in just a few years. High taxes with low service levels will likely make us far less popular.

You have to keep in mind Canada immigration rate is likely at a peak, and it's only a few years until the growth stalls, and for areas that are not the top 6 major cities, you will see a direct decline.

Horsell
Jul 9, 2015, 7:24 PM
Why would anyone want to live in Galway? I’m not saying that to be negative, I’m just throwing it out as a question I hope the developer (Danny et al) have asked. How will it differentiate itself from neighboring Southlands or the many “mini” subdivisions of Paradise, CBS or Torbay etc.
Where are the Galway residents going to come from? Other parts of the NE Avalon or other parts of the province? Yes, the NE Avalon is growing in tiny increments but that growth is all over the place, a few new houses here, a few there and few more over there. For a community like Galway to gain traction it is going to have to be at the expense of other areas, ie: Paradise, Kenmount Park etc.
The concept for Galway is that it will be a self contained community with commercial components, schools, churches, offices, hotels? We know that the industrial “big box” part, Glencrest, is going to be the starting point but what will be next and how long will it be before we see any of it. It might not be a case of “build it and they will come”.

PoscStudent
Jul 10, 2015, 2:23 AM
I doubt it will start contracting yet, but I bet good money it will have clearly declined by 2030, in decline by 2025, and peaking before 2020.

We've been mislead to think were somehow a low tax rate province, I suspect will be at the top of the list in just a few years. High taxes with low service levels will likely make us far less popular.

You have to keep in mind Canada immigration rate is likely at a peak, and it's only a few years until the growth stalls, and for areas that are not the top 6 major cities, you will see a direct decline.

A big problem for us is our high services and spread out population. Hopefully some of that will be curbed with the de-population of rural Newfoundland.

Horsell
Jul 10, 2015, 5:13 PM
Next week's Council Agenda (July 14th) has some material related to Galway. Looks interesting.
http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/files/files/agenda/Regular_Agenda_July%2014%2C%202015%28R%29.pdf

Arrakis
Jul 15, 2015, 2:56 PM
The city of St. John's has approved the first proposal for residential development at Galway.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=56066&latest=1

Arrakis
Aug 8, 2015, 12:33 PM
Been hearing rumours from various city officials that are setting up the water mains infrastructure fir the retail section of the Galway development, that it's now gonna be an enclosed shopping mall rather than a big box park, that will be larger than the Avalon Mall when completed. Anyone have any more info on this? Plaza Corps are one of the partners.

J_Murphy
Aug 8, 2015, 12:45 PM
Been hearing rumours from various city officials that are setting up the water mains infrastructure fir the retail section of the Galway development, that it's now gonna be an enclosed shopping mall rather than a big box park, that will be larger than the Avalon Mall when completed. Anyone have any more info on this? Plaza Corps are one of the partners.

I sure hope so. I hope they realized that most people hate big box style developments.

Stryker
Aug 8, 2015, 1:20 PM
A big problem for us is our high services and spread out population. Hopefully some of that will be curbed with the de-population of rural Newfoundland.

Yeah welll hopefully it's what is gonna save atlantic canada.

'combined with automated transit(self driving cars)

We might be able to drastically shrink the service area of the province fast.

Regardless we are still gonna see a rapidly declinning population unless something drastic occurs.

And with that being said I think I just figured out my Capstone project for school.

Stryker
Aug 8, 2015, 1:27 PM

Sounds like this si never gonna happen.

Serousily where are these people suppose to come from, immigrants don't like st johns full stop.

MrChills
Aug 9, 2015, 1:28 AM
I really don't know how places like Galway are ever approved. The City is failing big time on maintaining the existing infrastructure they have in place, along with an archaic public transit system that can't keep up with the existing road network. Most of council and the local population scream and cry from the high heavens when anyone suggests placing higher density building in the city, yet approve this uncontrolled urban sprawl without bating an eye. Places like Galway in my opinion will be the ultimate demise of St. John's in the not so distant future, not "high rises" as most people here seem to think.

goodgrowth
Aug 9, 2015, 10:24 PM
I really don't know how places like Galway are ever approved. The City is failing big time on maintaining the existing infrastructure they have in place, along with an archaic public transit system that can't keep up with the existing road network. Most of council and the local population scream and cry from the high heavens when anyone suggests placing higher density building in the city, yet approve this uncontrolled urban sprawl without bating an eye. Places like Galway in my opinion will be the ultimate demise of St. John's in the not so distant future, not "high rises" as most people here seem to think.

I think if oil doesn't rebound and there is an economic turn-down then naturally urban sprawl will slow down and stop and people will have to start choosing more cost effective living. I would not be surprised to see some population shift from the burbs back in towards St John's in the next decade and thus more high rises being built and public transit being used.

Stryker
Aug 10, 2015, 1:30 AM
I think if oil doesn't rebound and there is an economic turn-down then naturally urban sprawl will slow down and stop and people will have to start choosing more cost effective living. I would not be surprised to see some population shift from the burbs back in towards St John's in the next decade and thus more high rises being built and public transit being used.
Yeah I kinda picture CBS turning back into an outport.

With alot of the cheaper housing areas around mount pearl paradise becoming an unemployment belt.

Way to many people here drive.

It's absolutely unsustainible.

You'd be amazed at how many 3 and 4 car households are in the burbs here.

goodgrowth
Aug 12, 2015, 1:14 PM
St. John's Looking for Public Input on Galway Development

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?id=56638

overboard
Aug 12, 2015, 11:03 PM
Ha, I was wondering why I didn't know about this meeting. It was billed on the city's listserv as a rezoning of "725 Southlands Boulevard," not exactly conveying the size/importance of the decision.

Looking at the proposal, does anyone understand this?

The Municipal Plan encourages compact urban form, while minimizing sprawl through the encouragement of large - scale integrated developments in all expansion areas. As the City continues to grow and expand, the creation of mixed use neighbourhoods provides more sustainable places for people to live and work. The proposal supports the current Municipal Plan policies, while advancing the goals and objectives of the City’s new draft Municipal Plan.
[...]
Ken O’Brien, MCIP
Chief Municipal Planner

How can a planner look at this development and say it's "compact" or "mixed use?" He must think St. John's is one compact city.

jjavman
Aug 13, 2015, 1:58 AM
Virginia Park has underground electrical.

So does the former Newtown on Pearl Mountain

goodgrowth
Aug 14, 2015, 5:12 PM
Glencrest site seems to have been updated

http://www.glencrest.ca/

Also aerial footage of development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bNWS_BZ8vY

jeddy1989
Oct 27, 2015, 8:14 PM
Here's some new stuff from the website. Don't get too excited, some of you will hate this lol.

Commercial

The Shoppes at Galway is a part of the 2,400-acre master-planned community of Galway, and will offer a new and exciting retail experience for the region. This premiere retail space will be located just moments from Galway’s new residential area and the Glencrest Business Centre. It is also adjacent to the fastest growing communities in the province and just ten minutes from St. John’s centre and downtown areas.

Perched atop the city skyline with stunning views, The Shoppes at Galway represents the ultimate location for retailers and restaurants that want to do business in one of the most vibrant, progressive cities in Canada.

Highlights:

Potential for up to 1 million square feet of retail space
650,000 square feet to be developed within the first five years
Customized lot and building sizes to suit your business needs
Superior landscaping, with tree-lined streets
Premiere location with a core population base of approximately 270,000

Stores, entertainment and restaurant details coming soon.

http://www.galwaynl.ca/wp-content/uploads/gallery/the-shoppes/The-Shoppes.jpg

Residential

They say location is everything, and we couldn’t agree more. Perched atop the city with stunning views, residents will soon discover that attention to detail makes Galway a truly special place. Beautifully designed homes will be nestled amongst green, open spaces with a multi-use interconnected walking trail right outside your door.

If you dream of a stress-free lifestyle where everything you need is just moments from home, Galway living will make that dream a reality. Grab a coffee on your way to work from the neighbourhood barista; have lunch at a café; hit the links; or enjoy a cocktail on your way home at the local pub. Convenience, charm and comfort – everything you need to live your fullest life. The tranquility of a suburban living, yet a short drive from the hustle and bustle of St. John’s centre and downtown.

Welcome home!

http://www.galwaynl.ca/wp-content/uploads/gallery/gl-about/Residential-rendering-1.jpg
http://www.galwaynl.ca/wp-content/uploads/gallery/gl-about/Residential-rendering-2.jpg
http://www.galwaynl.ca/wp-content/uploads/gallery/gl-about/Residential-rendering-3.jpg

http://www.galwaynl.ca/wp-content/uploads/gallery/living/galway-st-johns-concept-plan.jpg

Business Centre

The Glencrest Business Centre is the crown jewel of the master planned community of Galway. Perched atop the city, Glencrest provides businesses with high visibility from the Trans Canada Highway and quick access to both the international airport and Port.

Glencrest welcomes large multinational corporations as well as local businesses, operating across a wide range of industrial sectors, particularly companies servicing the oil & gas and mining industries. Zoned for heavy and light industrial purposes, The Centre offers high-quality lots ranging in size from 1 acre up to 20 acres for those looking to grow or start a business. Phase 1 will see 100 acres of prime office and industrial real estate ready for development, with an additional 125 acres being added by the end of Phase 2.

With the potential for 5,000 new homes, over 1 million square feet of retail space and up to 225 acres of industrial space, Galway will be the future of St. John’s. Innovative, unique, and unlike anything this province has ever seen before.

http://www.glencrest.ca/

http://www.galwaynl.ca/wp-content/uploads/gallery/business/glencrest-business-centre-aerial-photo-st-johns.jpg
http://www.galwaynl.ca/wp-content/uploads/gallery/business/glencrest-commercial-space-property-rendering.jpg

http://www.galwaynl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Galway-Master-Plan-Map.jpg

http://www.galwaynl.ca/about/

SignalHillHiker
Oct 27, 2015, 9:06 PM
Disgusting. Especially this:

http://www.galwaynl.ca/wp-content/uploads/gallery/gl-about/Residential-rendering-3.jpg

There's a bit of that on Logy Bay Road and in some mainland cities where I've lived. DOUBLE THE ROAD to pay for, with 1/4 of the houses on it. Absolutely mind-blowing, unforgivably stupid urban planning.

Marty_Mcfly
Oct 27, 2015, 9:38 PM
Shut 'er down, the dream is over.

The images of the houses on the main road aren't bad. I mean, they're suburban but they're not bad (I don't expect something 25 mins away from downtown to be a brand new dense rowhouse core).

But what in the hell is up with these double streets?? The city can't plow what they already have.

J_Murphy
Oct 28, 2015, 11:38 AM

There's a bit of that on Logy Bay Road and in some mainland cities where I've lived. DOUBLE THE ROAD to pay for, with 1/4 of the houses on it. Absolutely mind-blowing, unforgivably stupid urban planning.

It's not ideal but it's suburbia, so I don't really expect much better. I think the concept drawings look nicer than all the other bland subdivisions around(ie, soutlands, kenmount terrace, Paradise).

I notice a lot of trees in the photos, which is nice. My biggest fear with this development is another Stavanger Drive/Kelsey Drive area.

statbass
Oct 28, 2015, 1:55 PM
Well, at least we're getting a Charles, Best Price and Fine Wine stores... LOL!

J_Murphy
Oct 28, 2015, 2:16 PM
I'm interested to see what the 'Town Square" is all about. This may be something that could set this neighborhood apart from all the same ol' subdivisions and make this a bit unique:

The Town Square will be the heart of the Galway community. Here, you will gather to meet friends, grab a coffee or take a leisurely stroll. You will be transported back to a simpler time in the Square, which will evoke a quaint, “small town” community atmosphere.

Highlights include:
•Locally owned shops, cafes, and pubs
•Pedestrian only walking zone
•Park benches
•Well-lit public space
•Living space above retail area

I may get to enjoy a beer in the exact same spot where I used to drink beer in the woods as a teenager growing up in the Pearl. :haha:

Arrakis
Oct 28, 2015, 5:13 PM
I like the residential street concepts. Time will tell though if they will really end up looking this idylic.

The strip mall is strip mall, is a strip mall. Yawn.

Marty_Mcfly
Oct 28, 2015, 9:41 PM
Well, at least we're getting a Charles, Best Price and Fine Wine stores... LOL!

NLC's gonna be mad about that one :haha:

goodgrowth
Oct 30, 2015, 3:38 PM

Honestly, anything that differentiates it from the many clone subdivisions we have now is welcome in my book.

Copes
Nov 8, 2015, 7:03 PM
Kind of what I think a lot of us have been expecting. It's not another massive Kenmount Terrace, but it certainly isn't a walkable, smart, urban community. It's just... a slightly nicer suburb.

Arrakis
Jun 26, 2016, 1:42 PM
The shoppes at Galway have updated their website to include a development map of the proposed shopping area. Doesn't look too different from all the other big box shopping parks around metro. Here is the link...

http://www.galwaynl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/GALWAY-Development-Opt-2r25-APR-06-16.pdf

rob_fmd
Jul 19, 2016, 9:47 PM
The shoppes at Galway have updated their website to include a development map of the proposed shopping area. Doesn't look too different from all the other big box shopping parks around metro. Here is the link...

http://www.galwaynl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/GALWAY-Development-Opt-2r25-APR-06-16.pdf

Say what you will about the development, but I really hope the name Danny Drive stays. :)

wmemeadusjr
Jul 25, 2016, 6:02 PM
The roundabout at the Ruth Avenue ramp to access Galway is still not finished. I'm puzzled how it has taken so long to build a circle on a road that was shut down for the construction. The development also calls for a roundabout at the ramps on the Mount Pearl side. We can expect this one to take even longer I'm sure, as the Galway developers recommend a redesign of Ruth Avenue between Old Placentia Road and Galway. This includes removing the lights and intersection at Kent & Olympic Drive, making all entrances to businesses a right in/right out, installing a median in the middle of Ruth Avenue and the biggie....removing the Old Placentia @ Ruth Avenue lights and making that intersection a roundabout.

wmemeadusjr
Aug 2, 2016, 12:22 PM
The Ruth Avenue roundabout is set to open tomorrow, Wednesday, August 3, 2016.

LordNezazor
Aug 5, 2016, 1:03 PM
Traveling into Town the other day, I noticed a sign showing a building render at the Glencrest site. I think the building is around 2 stories and is going to be built by Bird Construction. I dont know about you guys, but I cant wait to see what the whole area is going to look like once it is built up. And I wonder, will the residential section have some high-rise apartments/condos pop up?

wmemeadusjr
Aug 17, 2016, 11:14 AM
Let there be light. I noticed last night that a line of street lights dot the horizon in Galway. It's very noticeable from most points of view in Mount Pearl. It looks to be the road behind what's to be the Shoppes at Galway that runs on back of the current water tanks and eventually down over the hill to the TCH side of the development to the Glencrest Business Park. I'm not sure if the lights carry all the way down to that area.

Tocchet22
Nov 17, 2016, 8:04 PM
After hearing from multiple sources that Costco will be relocating from Stavanger Drive to Galway development. New store will be the largest Costco in Canada.

tylerTUBE
Nov 18, 2016, 1:52 AM
After hearing from multiple sources that Costco will be relocating from Stavanger Drive to Galway development. New store will be the largest Costco in Canada.

Wow! Just after Costco was about to lease out the old Target building too...

Having Costco gone from Stavanger drive will for sure be a hit to the other stores in that area, I guess we'll figure out what will happen with it all soon enough! (PS. My first post here! :) )