PDA

View Full Version : Kingsmill's

jaradthescot
Dec 4, 2013, 5:41 PM
Long time lurker, but I just read that Kingsmill's is being sold. All the articles I can find are from September and don't explicitly state any buyer. I've been out of the city since 2011 (returning next year, though) and am curious if anyone knows any further information? Or is it similar to the Blackberry situation where we know it's being sold, but that's the extent of it?

Pimpmasterdac
Dec 4, 2013, 6:15 PM
Unfortunately Kingsmill is done. Current owner wants to retire, and younger generations either too young or don't want to continue running the operation. By the sounds of it the family is willing to sell the whole operation but more likely will be for the building and liquidation of current inventory.

The only current public offer is by an arts/cultural group that wants the upper floors for various organizations, the botton to be some form of retail. Quite unfortunate, be a big hole to fill and these organizations are most likely getting most funding from government grants.

MolsonExport
Dec 4, 2013, 10:03 PM
Even though I never shop there (sometimes window shop), I am sad to see this landmark going. I will also miss the old-fashioned elevator. The mallifiction (rather the big-boxification) of London continues unabated. Too bad we could not attract another high-end retailer of note (e.g., Holt Renfrew, Simon's, Nordstrom's) to take over the site.

ScreamingViking
Jul 4, 2014, 3:49 AM
This story about Kingsmill's was in the Hamilton Spectator the other day (via the Toronto Star). Thought it might be of interest.
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4611194-family-owned-department-store-closing-after-149-years/

It's sad to see these downtown retailers go, but I'm glad to know the building may be put to a great new use by Fanshawe. Hamilton's got one former department store building that was re-purposed (The Right House) but the downtown Robinson's was leveled and remains an empty lot, and the Eaton's site became an Eaton Centre but morphed into a zombie mall while the newer department store floors now house some city departments and probably a lot of empty space.