PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Portland Aerial

fflint
May 16, 2013, 2:49 AM
I posted this in the Aerials thread in Found City Photos but wanted to post it in here too, so nobody from Portland misses it:

http://thefabweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/8488269440_c4db94ae48_h.jpg
http://thefabweb.com/81991/30-best-city-pictures-of-the-week-feb-17th-to-feb-23rd-2013/attachment/81999/

ThatDarnSacramentan
May 16, 2013, 4:56 AM
Great view. Not everyday I get to see my apartment from the air.

fflint
May 16, 2013, 5:50 AM
Which building is yours?

ThatDarnSacramentan
May 16, 2013, 5:52 AM
Which building is yours?

The one in the picture. Thought that was obvious*.

* Sarcasm and wit doesn't translate well in text, unfortunately.

Derek
May 16, 2013, 5:53 AM
The brownish red in the lower left corner I think. ;)

My old apartment is directly to the right of the red bridge.

fflint
May 16, 2013, 7:00 AM
The one in the picture. Thought that was obvious*.
* Sarcasm and wit doesn't translate well in text, unfortunately.
Oh, that one!

2oh1
May 16, 2013, 6:00 PM
Ooh, look how marvelous the park blocks look, not to mention Waterfront Park. And oh what a waste the Post Office site is. There's so much opportunity for that land.

M Kass
May 16, 2013, 6:09 PM
I agree about the USPS megablock.. It's Ginormous. What a blight. Such an awesome town, just need a few more 500+ footers.... I hope that someday the city says to hell with West Hills views of Hood being obstructed and allows an 800 footer. Wishful thinking, I know.. A skyscraper doesn't make a city; it's the people. That being said, a bona fide skyscraper would be nice....

2oh1
May 17, 2013, 4:50 PM
Indeed. This aerial shot really puts the post office site in perspective.

fflint
May 17, 2013, 8:57 PM
Is there a plan to move the USPS? Talk about potential! If I were king I'd extend the park blocks north and put some serious towers on either side. What sort of height limits cover the Pearl?

Derek
May 18, 2013, 2:25 AM
There are long term plans to develop the USPS site, but there aren't any official talks yet that I'm aware of.

As for height limits, I'm not really sure. Hypothetically there aren't any, but people who live in the hills don't want their views blocked. There's a ~330 foot building planned for the site directly below that large green oval in The Pearl.

Black Box
May 18, 2013, 3:49 AM
Nice pic. Hopefully the USPS area will get a good makeover soon.

fflint
May 18, 2013, 4:11 AM
As for height limits, I'm not really sure. Hypothetically there aren't any, but people who live in the hills don't want their views blocked. There's a ~330 foot building planned for the site directly below that large green oval in The Pearl.
That's a decent height, is there a thread about it?

Derek
May 18, 2013, 4:25 AM
That's a decent height, is there a thread about it?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=201295

:)

ThatDarnSacramentan
May 18, 2013, 5:13 AM
I always figured it was FAA regulations that kept Portland's height in check.

fflint
May 18, 2013, 5:34 AM
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=201295

:)
Thanks, looks good. I hope it gets built--it would be a new peak for that part of the city.

65MAX
May 18, 2013, 9:42 AM
I always figured it was FAA regulations that kept Portland's height in check.

No, the west hills next to downtown are 1000' high in some places, so there's no flight path anywhere close to that elevation over downtown. It's the homes on the hill looking east to Mt Hood that don't want their views blocked. Some very wealthy and powerful locals live in those homes.

fflint
May 19, 2013, 3:19 AM
No, the west hills next to downtown are 1000' high in some places, so there's no flight path anywhere close to that elevation over downtown. It's the homes on the hill looking east to Mt Hood that don't want their views blocked. Some very wealthy and powerful locals live in those homes.
That sounds very...Californian.

Eagle rock
May 19, 2013, 5:41 AM
The West Hills thing is a myth. The height limits started when the KOIN Tower was built and it blocked the view of Mt. Hood from the Sunset Highway. I don’t really think it is that much of an issue considering a major office buildings hasn't been built in downtown since the Fox Tower. It seems like there is not that much demand.

urbanlife
May 20, 2013, 2:09 AM
I would love to see the USPS site to be redeveloped into a Rockefeller Center style complex. Oh and amazing photo in general, really makes me miss Portland.

fflint
May 20, 2013, 8:55 PM
I would love to see the USPS site to be redeveloped into a Rockefeller Center style complex. Oh and amazing photo in general, really makes me miss Portland.
Agreed--could extend the park blocks through the site and make up for that by building tall on either side.

When did you move? My partner and I are considering heading up there eventually.

urbanlife
May 21, 2013, 1:22 AM
Agreed--could extend the park blocks through the site and make up for that by building tall on either side.

When did you move? My partner and I are considering heading up there eventually.

We moved about a year ago and will be moving back to Portland in about 4-5 years. We have been joking that this move to NYC is when "educated Oregonians do something stupid." Though this year away from Portland and Oregon has made us realize how much we really miss the Northwest and how it really is the best part of the country.

As for the USPS, if I could do anything, I would see the park blocks extended into the middle of it with a tall tower at the very north end of the park blocks. Then having something like 10 story buildings on the east and west side of the park, basically creating a mini city of office, residential, street commercial, a hotel, and a theater of some sort.

It would be something grand for that area and very fitting.

downtownpdx
May 21, 2013, 5:31 AM
a major office buildings hasn't been built in downtown since the Fox Tower.

Except 1st and Main, completed 2010 (?)

Eagle rock
May 21, 2013, 5:52 PM
Except 1st and Main, completed 2010 (?)

You are right. I forgot about that. It will be interesting to see if we get any more offices built. I was just reading this article (http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2013/02/can_portland_accommodate_growi.html).

Perhaps standard office buildings like PAW are not what these types of firms are looking for?

MarkDaMan
May 21, 2013, 7:11 PM
You are right. I forgot about that. It will be interesting to see if we get any more offices built. I was just reading this [URL="http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2013/02/can_portland_accommodate_growi.html"]article.

Unfortunately a start-up isn't going to be large enough to be an anchor tenant for PAW and get construction started. I do think once an anchor tenant is found and construction begins, other spaces in the building will be attractive to start-ups and other firms looking for just a floor or two.

davehogan
May 26, 2013, 6:59 AM
The West Hills thing is a myth. The height limits started when the KOIN Tower was built and it blocked the view of Mt. Hood from the Sunset Highway. I don’t really think it is that much of an issue considering a major office buildings hasn't been built in downtown since the Fox Tower. It seems like there is not that much demand.

So we have citywide height limits because the view from a freeway was blocked?

That sounds like a lot more of a stretch.

dubu
May 26, 2013, 4:37 PM
it has to do with the ground around downtown. thats what ive herd.

urbanlife
May 27, 2013, 2:58 AM

The Floor to Area Ratio has more to do with providing sunlight to the street. The actual height limits that go along with the FAR is more in line with the city's conservative nature towards tall buildings.

Though in reality, a great city doesn't need tall buildings to be great.

bvpcvm
May 27, 2013, 5:32 AM

I don't think it's the height limits so much as certain "view corridors" that are protected due to the experience with the koin tower.