PDA

View Full Version : 3EC Like it love it or hate it?

Pages : [1] 2

Surrealplaces
Mar 2, 2013, 8:53 PM
3EC Like it love it or hate it?

Should be interesting poll results for this one, as it seems to be a polarizing type of design. A few months ago, I would have voted 'meh', or maybe even 'hate it', but the more I see it the more I like it.

Surrealplaces
Mar 2, 2013, 8:56 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8239/8515916017_7ff02f5032_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/75646235@N06/8515916017/)
Shaw 1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/75646235@N06/8515916017/) by Calgary Renders (http://www.flickr.com/people/75646235@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8523/8515915947_e205224ba4_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/75646235@N06/8515915947/)
Shaw 2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/75646235@N06/8515915947/) by Calgary Renders (http://www.flickr.com/people/75646235@N06/), on Flickr

Calgarian
Mar 2, 2013, 9:25 PM
As with any project, materials and execution will decide whether it's a winner or just another in our growing collection of mediocrity.

sync
Mar 2, 2013, 9:33 PM
yes if the materials are great then i think it will be a very nice addition.

Spring2008
Mar 2, 2013, 10:38 PM
I voted like based on the presentation model pics posted on their Facebook page which show a much nicer glazing skin than the pics above. Don't have time to post those pics right now.

CorporateWhore
Mar 2, 2013, 10:47 PM
My fear is that some bean counter will demand to have the hole filled in into to maximize profits, and turn it into a boring old box.

Chinook Arch
Mar 2, 2013, 11:04 PM
I love it. Yeah, so it's kinda weird looking, this city..make that this country is full of bland boxy buildings. It's so refreshing to see something different.

Wooster
Mar 2, 2013, 11:27 PM
My fear is that some bean counter will demand to have the hole filled in into to maximize profits, and turn it into a boring old box.

Planning regulation wouldn't allow it.

This tower reminds me of crazy design I would have sketched as a young skyscraper nerd. It kind of appeals to me in that way. It's still really odd though.

goan_boy
Mar 3, 2013, 12:31 AM
I love it ... Its going to be the most unique building in calgary. it seems they going to start construction next month. looking forward!!

Husky Tower
Mar 3, 2013, 12:53 AM
It's certainly distinctive enough that, once built, I think it will distinguish itself in Calgary's skyline.

I say, "once built" because I think the renderings shown to date make it appear more "squat" than it will be once construction has been topped off.

And, in part, I think that's due to the rendering showing what I count to be only 45 floors rising up along the flat axis of the "Stapler"...I had thought the tallest tower was 48 floors with the shorter at 44.

I don't think I've miscounted...

HT

CorporateWhore
Mar 3, 2013, 1:25 AM
Planning regulation wouldn't allow it.

Good to know.

I kind of wish this building was built outside of downtown, so it would have an open silhouette. I have a feeling that it being in the core and around other taller buildings (and most likely surrounded by others sooner or later), it will lose some of the magic. Imagine if it was somewhere relatively flat, how cool of a landmark it would be if you could see it from really far away (ie, like the Westgate Park condos).

Tropics
Mar 3, 2013, 2:43 AM
Looks alot better here IMO.

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382005_379210305504251_1473311204_n.jpg from facebook, originally posted by Surreal.

O-tacular
Mar 3, 2013, 2:47 AM
I voted meh because I'm still not sure if I like it or don't care. I agree it will come down to quality of materiAls and actual execution. I'm not worried about other buildings hiding it's presence in the skyline because there's shaw court across the street and nothing else can be taller closer to the river. I will say though that I'm happy to see something different.

Jimby
Mar 3, 2013, 3:08 AM
It is better than another beige subdivision with a stupid name.

Doug
Mar 3, 2013, 3:22 AM
Hate it. The base doesn't fit with the rest if the building and something about the bridge is really awkward. Change the Shaw logo to some gaming corp trying to get into the Vegas condo market and 3EC would be at home.

TallBob
Mar 3, 2013, 6:22 AM
I voted Hate it in the Poll, basically, I just think it looks silly! (Of course I'm kind of conservative when it comes to design). Quite frankly I don't think Calgary has to adopt all these "Quirky" or "Far Out" "Space Odyssey" types of developments. This place isn't Dubai or Shanghai.

RyLucky
Mar 3, 2013, 5:25 PM
Without the bridge (just a tall podium and two glass tower with curved efface), it's a solid aesthetic and nice addition to the skyline. The bridge, while I'm not sure it makes the project any better or worse, makes the project one of a kind and insights interest to someone who sees it on a postcard or in the background of a Peace Bridge photo. The 3EC bridge feature seems as if a teenager dreamed it up, which is a good thing; it's unorthodox. And look! It has us all talking about whether we like it! If architecture ought to inspire discourse, 3EC clearly accomplishes that. The reason I like it is because of its general aesthetic (glass, massing, colours, shape), which is multiplied because of its originality.

I agree that materials will make a big difference. Overall, I'm just happy more development is finally going in to west Eau Claire, and this seems like an improvement over many of the towers in the area. +2 for mixed use.

Wigs
Mar 3, 2013, 6:54 PM
In a city full of bland, boring boxes from the 70s-90s (sometimes in duplicate or triplicate :yuck:) I'm happy to welcome this to our downtown skyline. I don't 'love it' but definitely like it! The model looks really good (hope when built it looks as good quality and they don't cheapen out on materials or change details) :tup: and with construction starting this summer, they aren't messing around!

floobie
Mar 3, 2013, 8:00 PM
In a city full of bland, boring boxes from the 70s-90s (sometimes in duplicate or triplicate :yuck:) I'm happy to welcome this to our downtown skyline. I don't 'love it' but definitely like it! The model looks really good (hope when built it looks as good quality and they don't cheapen out on materials or change details) :tup: and with construction starting this summer, they aren't messing around!

Seconded. Though, I voted "love it".

Certainly, the quality of the materials will determine how great it ends up being. But, I think the potential for something outstanding is there.

Personally, to make it totally awesome, I'd like it if the glass were fairly dark. And, I'll admit, I think it would look better if the podium were a bit shorter/the towers were a bit taller.

dbp
Mar 3, 2013, 8:56 PM
I preferred the original design of 3EC. Can`t seem to find it at the moment but will keep looking. The design was really "farout"and would really have made a strong statement along with the "peace bridge nearby" that Calgary is a very modern city and a leader in architectural design!! It would have been both controversial yet awesome at the same time.
One more thing, they really should drop tower two of the Herald Square proposal, significantly increase the height of tower one at the same time producing something unique and original. OK, OK, I can always dream can`t I???????????????????/

Cruzer
Mar 3, 2013, 9:29 PM
I preferred the original design of 3EC. Can`t seem to find it at the moment but will keep looking. The design was really "farout"and would really have made a strong statement along with the "peace bridge nearby" that Calgary is a very modern city and a leader in architectural design!! It would have been both controversial yet awesome at the same time.
One more thing, they really should drop tower two of the Herald Square proposal, significantly increase the height of tower one at the same time producing something unique and original. OK, OK, I can always dream can`t I???????????????????/

That would've been the proposal with the torch/flame instead of the bridge at the top. Can't say that I liked it, but it wasn't a bad looking proposal... I'm liking it a lot better as it is now but both versions were DEFINITELY a step outside the box for Calgary. My only beef is with the bulkiness of the office portion, however, being an employee of Shaw, I best start getting used to it ... ;)

Bokimon
Mar 3, 2013, 9:41 PM
I vote Love it as I give a overall rating of 8/10.. Anything above 7.5 is an instant love it rating to my books.

Some things to pick on which could of been better, the office portion is still a box with limited features like the window mullion profiles. A nice open lobby with structural glazing and a feature canopy would of been nice to make it stand out as a landmark on the ground level.
Some definition along the streetfront for retail/restaurants would also have been nice as well. (EAP example)
The skybridge looks nothing like the napkin sketches but I'm sure could of been more defined than is current 2D look. I blame our limited knowledge on building these types of buildings as our trades are no where near as skilled as those you see in Asia.
A ground breaking design is also limited by how the local constructors know about building these kinds of structures. An inherent pain for our conservative economic emphasis on building design over the decades.
I think parts of the tower like the skybridge could have some transparency as I feel the blue is a bit much washed all over the building.

Despite that though, I am glad a bold design of this style is actually going to be built. This will be another project which will act as a catalyst for the improvement of future towers in Calgary as more developers start to become aware of the importance of creativity for design. 95% performa for leasing efficiency needs to come to an end so architects can really use their design minds to churn out real architecture in our city. (85-90% performa makes a big difference in design flexibility such as being able to wander away from the box floor plate, despite being less efficient than the absolute max)

The Shard in London is like 35% efficiency so they are losing money for a few years but this tower will be a long term gain and same with Shanghai Tower. Another discussion but an example of pushing the performa to the far extremes..

Oh and also, who are the developers for 3EC and the Design team? I bet the designers are an outside firm with a local production/CA firm.
I encourage all developers, vice presidents, operations and facility managers to go to another continent to see how office buildings there works. Asia and Europe are much more crowded than here but they have some of the best solutions anywhere in the world to still make money while building innovative designs.
Same goes with nearly every department of the city from bylaws, transportation to building regulations. Go forth and acquire the wisdom and then apply it here to make our city better, we would all learn so much and our city as a whole will leap bounds by being more globally influenced than locally influenced..
my 2 cents for this design/politic rant!

DizzyEdge
Mar 4, 2013, 1:01 AM
I think the base would look better if it sort of bulged out.

Like imagine if you took the building in the foreground

http://www.estatesgazette.com/blogs/london-office-database/2011/06/28/proposed%20skyline.jpg
http://www.estatesgazette.com/blogs/london-office-database/2011/06/shuttleworth-apologises-for-gh.html

Flipped it counter clockwise, and made that the podium.

kw5150
Mar 4, 2013, 1:25 AM
Sexual joke removed. lol

I think the base would look better if it sort of bulged out.

Like imagine if you took the building in the foreground

http://www.estatesgazette.com/blogs/london-office-database/2011/06/28/proposed%20skyline.jpg
http://www.estatesgazette.com/blogs/london-office-database/2011/06/shuttleworth-apologises-for-gh.html

Flipped it counter clockwise, and made that the podium.

RicoLance21
Mar 4, 2013, 3:55 AM
I love it. I am always welcome to see some added diversity to Calgary's skyline. It is unique, but not too over-the-top at the same time. A 50-ft spire on the taller end of the building would have made the project perfect.

I am not sure if anyone mentioned about it already, but I think the second render of 3EC in this thread is off-scale. Judging by the viewpoint being on the other side of the Peace Bridge and the size of Bankers Hall in the background, I think the building would actually be around 10% smaller then what it appears in the rendering.

Just Build It
Mar 4, 2013, 4:36 AM
I thought I would be the only one who voted 'loved' it. My vote is still pending on materials though. If the glass is super reflective (80's mirror glass), it'll look like shit, if the glass is fairly transparent, it'll look great.

Ramsayfarian
Mar 4, 2013, 7:26 PM

There's a joke there some where.

Is Cal Cavendish still alive and flying? I'd like to see him thread the needle when this is completed.

trevhunn
Mar 4, 2013, 7:27 PM
Love it. It will be interesting to see the finished product.

Deepstar
Mar 4, 2013, 8:23 PM
I voted 'Meh'. I don't care for the podium.

kw5150
Mar 4, 2013, 8:44 PM
Voted Meh cuz of the awkward design. There is just something so awkward about how the top terminates into a bunch of curves. Why cant this building just be monolithic instead a bunch of ticky-tacky add ons and swirls? This would be laughed off as an ugly duckling in most cities. I cant imagine this being built anywhere. We will see how the final construction turns out.

Am I just being close minded here? It looks like a cut and paste of an 80 storey dubai tower that has been shrunk down to 40 floors. Im glad it is buried inside the skyline a bit. Maybe that will help ease the pain.

Plus, who wants to pay for the maintenance on the curved glass roof sections?

suburbia
Mar 4, 2013, 9:02 PM
Voted Meh cuz of the awkward design. There is just something so awkward about how the top terminates into a bunch of curves. Why cant this building just be monolithic instead a bunch of ticky-tacky add ons and swirls? This would be laughed off as an ugly duckling in most cities. I cant imagine this being built anywhere.

I don't think it looks like tacky add ons at all. The bridge portion is substantial enough as to match up with the thickness of each individual tower. It is more balanced than people give it credit for. If I was to lament about anything, it would be the weight and size of the podium, as opposed to the bridge.

Regarding your comment it would be laughed off as an ugly duckling and would not be built anywhere, if you really want to have a laugh, look at this, which is already built in Toronto:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--Gng9bEcNFk/UA3opOZmalI/AAAAAAAAWos/cDK4ijwPFag/s1600/concordDSC_6007.jpg

Suddenly 3EC looks a gem, eh'?

Wigs
Mar 4, 2013, 9:02 PM
Who will be the owner of this new building? I'm assuming Shaw is just leasing 12 floors of space, and paying for naming rights?

Habanero
Mar 4, 2013, 10:23 PM
No, not close minded, just of a different opinion. I like it, in fact the more I see it the more I'm anxious to see this one start u/c.

I'm so tired of bland boxes that I'm happy to see something different, no matter how weird shaped it is.

Voted Meh cuz of the awkward design. There is just something so awkward about how the top terminates into a bunch of curves. Why cant this building just be monolithic instead a bunch of ticky-tacky add ons and swirls? This would be laughed off as an ugly duckling in most cities. I cant imagine this being built anywhere. We will see how the final construction turns out.

Am I just being close minded here? It looks like a cut and paste of an 80 storey dubai tower that has been shrunk down to 40 floors. Im glad it is buried inside the skyline a bit. Maybe that will help ease the pain.

Plus, who wants to pay for the maintenance on the curved glass roof sections?

kw5150
Mar 4, 2013, 11:37 PM
3EC should be re-named "attention whore" then. I dont mind it....just something odd.

http://goingphnomandon.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/ugly-house.jpg

http://goingphnomandon.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/ugly-house.jpg

suburbia
Mar 4, 2013, 11:39 PM
3EC should be re-named "attention whore" then. I dont mind it....just something odd.

Looking at it that way, it kind of reminds me of you!

RyLucky
Mar 5, 2013, 12:31 AM
Looks alot better here IMO.

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382005_379210305504251_1473311204_n.jpg from facebook, originally posted by Surreal.

It sounds like the whole thing will be built, but I would still like the project even if it were only the podium. That podium alone looks pretty good. Two rows of tree wells is better than one. Glad to see most people liked/loved it. The upper floors will have great views to the north, west, and south. I wouldn't want to have a window facing the other tower under the bridge though...

TallBob
Mar 5, 2013, 6:30 AM
I know it's probably too late but I hope this gets re-worked. Shadow restrictions are a partial reason (I believe) we got this design. IMO Don't have a problem with the podium.... But the tower/s need to be about 15% taller as I've stated before. Just my 2 cents worth.

Colin
Mar 5, 2013, 8:02 AM
I voted like it. I do agree that the design is somewhat awkward but I appreciate the risk in design. I'm glad it will provide some diversity in the skyline.

I was at the showroom a month ago and I remember they mentioned that the elevators of each tower will face the open space of the tower. It will also be all glass so it will be a cool ride up the elevator similar to the CN tower.

Surrealplaces
Mar 5, 2013, 5:27 PM
It sounds like the whole thing will be built, but I would still like the project even if it were only the podium. That podium alone looks pretty good. Two rows of tree wells is better than one. Glad to see most people liked/loved it. The upper floors will have great views to the north, west, and south. I wouldn't want to have a window facing the other tower under the bridge though...

The top bridge between the two floors should be interesting, as Shaw will be using them for employee space. They could include anything from social rooms to gyms, to meditation space..

whiteford
Mar 21, 2013, 7:40 PM
i love it for being differant. calgary needs more design's that depart from the regular boxes. thats what everyone keeps saying around here and i agree. so here it is. a building that is not a box. sure some will say that its just two boxes that are conected at the top but that is just nitpicking bs. i say this will look great in our skyline when it is finishd. most likely it will be one of calgarys best. moreover; its placement in the skyline is perfect to showcase something different. i love it for those reasons.

TallBob
Mar 22, 2013, 5:46 AM
Aside from not liking the design, it's advertised as 48 stories and it's only 45! Re-do the whole thing for a single 55 -60 stories and would still probably be OK with the shadowing issues!

suburbia
Mar 26, 2013, 4:45 AM
Most of you will have seen Toronto's version of the Peace Bridge by now. Well, here is Toronto's version of 3EC:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15643394@N05/8546391581/in/photostream

TallBob
Mar 26, 2013, 5:15 AM
^^^ Don't like that either.... Looks worse. Please make 3EC about 10 stories taller!! It won't look as bulky. Like I sad earlier, we're already getting screwed out of 3 floors! From 48 to 45! ^^^

Surrealplaces
Mar 26, 2013, 6:49 PM
Most of you will have seen Toronto's version of the Peace Bridge by now. Well, here is Toronto's version of 3EC:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15643394@N05/8546391581/in/photostream

I didn't know Toronto had a version of the Peace Bridge.

Chadillaccc
Mar 26, 2013, 7:18 PM
Really? It was just reposted yesterday in the Peace Bridge thread. It is absolutely horrendous.

whiteford
Apr 21, 2013, 1:41 AM
i like it. it will most likely win everyone over once it is built as well.

RWin
Apr 21, 2013, 5:57 PM
To me it looks like it has a couple of reverse Gibgs Gages on it.

Chadillaccc
Oct 23, 2013, 2:24 PM
Very excited for this to start :) Site is fenced in, parking lot is shut down. Does anyone know when equipment should start showing up? If they shut down parking, I'd imagine it will have to be within the month! :D

MasterG
Oct 23, 2013, 3:26 PM
Very excited for this to start :) Site is fenced in, parking lot is shut down. Does anyone know when equipment should start showing up? If they shut down parking, I'd imagine it will have to be within the month! :D

I think this is one ugly building. But if it has to be ugly at least it is mixed used, ridiculously huge with high density, and replaces a parking lot. Overall that makes me okay with it.

Chadillaccc
Oct 23, 2013, 3:45 PM
So many people hate it :(

Spring2008
Oct 23, 2013, 4:05 PM
The renders weren't the greatest quality. Like the massing and another huge density development which will be great for Eau-Claire. Could turn out really good with higher quality glazing.

The Fisher Account
Oct 23, 2013, 4:08 PM
I'm excited for this. Looking forward to seeing some more new interesting architecture in our city instead of the standard boxey skyscraper.

Spring2008
Oct 23, 2013, 4:12 PM
Are both towers going to be over 150m??

Probably see a full service grocery store at podium level too.

Going to be very visible from Memorial Drive/Kensington area.

kw5150
Oct 23, 2013, 4:30 PM
I think this tower is gross. I just hate the right side so much. So much gaudy crap going on near the top. Simplify it. (Yes Blue Cypress and all others: I know it is too late to simplify it).

Allan83
Oct 23, 2013, 7:14 PM
I think this tower is gross. I just hate the right side so much. So much gaudy crap going on near the top. Simplify it. (Yes Blue Cypress and all others: I know it is too late to simplify it).
Is it? My issues with this I think are much like yours. I don’t get those asymmetrical beans under the bridge, and they aren’t growing on me. I also don’t get those odd compound angles on top of the taller tower. Simplifying and cleaning up those details are what I think it needs too, (with the caveat that mine is just a man-on-the-street’s opinion.)

RyLucky
Oct 23, 2013, 7:21 PM
http://cdn.mediaincanada.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ShawCommunicationsPushtheButton-300x178.jpg?8766fc

I think Shaw tries (knowingly or otherwise) to go for the tacky, faux-futuristic feel of 1950s appliances, but with the neutered creative authenticity and mobocratic banality of an Olympic sponsor or a pop-indie band.

Actually, I voted "like it" for this reason.

MasterG
Oct 23, 2013, 7:23 PM
http://cdn.mediaincanada.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ShawCommunicationsPushtheButton-300x178.jpg?8766fc

I think Shaw tries (knowingly or otherwise) to go for the tacky, faux-futuristic feel of 1950s appliances, but with the neutered creative authenticity and mobocratic banality of an Olympic sponsor or a pop-indie band.

Shaw is the worst. and so is this building. But mega-density > nothing, so I am excited.

kw5150
Oct 23, 2013, 7:27 PM
Haha. I dont mind the street level and yes the density is good. Up we go!

Shaw is the worst. and so is this building. But mega-density > nothing, so I am excited.

UofC.engineer
Oct 23, 2013, 7:28 PM

Hahahaha, I wish I could up vote posts.

TallBob
Oct 23, 2013, 8:07 PM
Dubai looking.... Never liked it! 10 years after it's finished, people will be wondering why it was ever built. IMO!

H.E.Pennypacker
Oct 23, 2013, 8:29 PM
I like it's potential to add diversity and unique architecture to the skyline without going too radical .. But it's all potential at this point, the materials will be instrumental - I dislike the lighter blue glazing in the one render, I'd prefer a darker glazing and hope that they don't cheap out on the costs

This type of design, which clearly is a like it or hate it amongst all of us, is a great for Calgary overall IMO .. Definitely need more diversity rather than plain boxes!

The Chemist
Oct 23, 2013, 10:48 PM
I may have mentioned it before, but this building would definitely fit right in in Shanghai - which may be why I like it so much! Can't wait to see the work begin. :)

Calgarian
Oct 24, 2013, 12:10 AM
As usual it depends on the materials, if they cheap out it will just look tacky lol.

*Stardust*
Oct 24, 2013, 12:28 AM
The website states that there will be a grocery store, coffee shop, restaurant and bar on the main floor. That will liven up the area until they redevelop the Eau Claire Market/Area

craner
Oct 24, 2013, 1:39 AM
I'm excited about this one, unique design (for Calgary), good height for the area, and it eats up another parking lot.
Sounds like I'm in the minority here however.

Tropics
Oct 24, 2013, 3:06 AM
I'm excited about this one, unique design (for Calgary), good height for the area, and it eats up another parking lot.
Sounds like I'm in the minority here however.

From looking at the results of the poll I don't think you are.

craner
Oct 24, 2013, 3:22 AM
^Ha - I guess you're right. I'm part of the silent (non-commenting) majority.

goan_boy
Oct 24, 2013, 4:11 AM
finally!! ...looking forward to this project...well it all started by people not believing this project was going to go ahead ..happy to see progress :cheers:

TallBob
Oct 24, 2013, 6:58 AM
I was hoping for a re-design on this one a few months ago. Obviously, it's not going to happen. Would loved to have seen a single tower slightly wider than either of the two towers, "stair step" the podium (the office portion) to say 14 floors instead of 12 and to get the amount of condos/living spaces needed, you would only need to add 6-7 floors to the residential tower, making it around 55 floors. I think the height would still be within the shadowing by-laws for that area.

Cruzer
Oct 24, 2013, 7:43 AM
I was hoping for a re-design on this one a few months ago. Obviously, it's not going to happen. Would loved to have seen a single tower slightly wider than either of the two towers, "stair step" the podium (the office portion) to say 14 floors instead of 12 and to get the amount of condos/living spaces needed, you would only need to add 6-7 floors to the residential tower, making it around 55 floors. I think the height would still be within the shadowing by-laws for that area.

If you recall this had already undergone a redesign from its previous look "The Torch" or whatever they were trying to pull off, I honestly think this is a significant improvement on that! Not to mention I think a lot of people are forgetting that Eau Claire is about to undergo a huge transformation with Eau Claire Tower already rolling and this just about to get started - the 7 tower proposal north of Centennial Place, International Hotel and The Ericsson Condos by the river (I'm sure I'm forgetting much more than that). 3EC stands out as a bold move contender of a tower, going different on design and building high where it's limited to do so. Again though it really depends on the materials used. I hope the glass is more reflective than anything, it would really be a dominant figure in the skyline! One of my favourite projects right now, can't wait to see it go up.

Chadillaccc
Oct 24, 2013, 12:42 PM
My thoughts exactly Cruzer!

TallBob
Oct 24, 2013, 4:20 PM
Cruzer: I was just speaking of 3EC. I'm well aware of these other proposals. But thanks just the same.

Big Sky
Nov 22, 2013, 7:46 PM
I like it. When i first looked at this a year ago, I didn't like it, but it has grown on me, and with the right materials, could be a very cool building.

lespoir
Nov 23, 2013, 1:37 AM
I like its exterior design....but checking into the details, and I found they lack a few important touches. Look at all the upper level units over $1 mil, they do not even have fireplaces in these expensive suites. I asked the Sales agents a few times over the months about how many layers of glass walls the building will be constructed, and they just said they do not know. The floor map shows 3-lines of the glass walls for exterior, but likely they will put only two layers as the standard. 3-layer walls would be much better for sound proof in the crazy downtown siren environment. The sales agent always said that not final details and can be fixed later, but not sure I want to sign a contrast with over $1 million intent to buy a condo yet, they have no details.

Allan83
Nov 24, 2013, 6:28 AM
I’m getting increasingly nervous about this building. Does it really measure up to the Bow, Telus Sky, Brookfield, and Manulife? The architectural landscape in Calgary has changed a lot since this proposal was first made. From my man on the street’s POV I don’t think it needs a lot, but I do think some details could be cleaned up and simplified so that it’s more in harmony with our other new feature buildings.

Spring2008
Dec 17, 2013, 2:28 PM
Still no pile drivers here yet?? What's going on!??

lorenavedon
Dec 17, 2013, 2:56 PM

really love this building but it won't be done until late 2017 or 2018. That's the big reason why I didn't buy into it. It has the be the slowest moving development ever. You'd think Shaw would be kicking them in the ass pushing for this thing to move faster.

TallBob
Dec 17, 2013, 5:15 PM
Re-design.... again!

suburbia
Dec 17, 2013, 7:14 PM
I still like it. It is still unique and will diversify the skyline. Pushing for a redesign of something already quite good will basically increase the risk of stalling things all-together.

The only way I'd support a re-design is if shaw pushes for something fancier and throws money at it (in light of Telus' new signature tower).

lorenavedon
Dec 17, 2013, 8:58 PM
Re-design.... again!

what? do you have anymore info on this?

Doug_Cgy
Dec 17, 2013, 9:20 PM
what? do you have anymore info on this?

It is not being redesigned.

geotag277
Dec 17, 2013, 9:36 PM
I like its exterior design....but checking into the details, and I found they lack a few important touches. Look at all the upper level units over $1 mil, they do not even have fireplaces in these expensive suites. I asked the Sales agents a few times over the months about how many layers of glass walls the building will be constructed, and they just said they do not know. The floor map shows 3-lines of the glass walls for exterior, but likely they will put only two layers as the standard. 3-layer walls would be much better for sound proof in the crazy downtown siren environment. The sales agent always said that not final details and can be fixed later, but not sure I want to sign a contrast with over $1 million intent to buy a condo yet, they have no details.

What are the upper level units like? Do you have info on square footage range, price range, and # of bedrooms available? The only thing I've seen so far are the 600 sqft 2 bedrooms as part of "phase 1".

lorenavedon
Dec 17, 2013, 9:49 PM
What are the upper level units like? Do you have info on square footage range, price range, and # of bedrooms available? The only thing I've seen so far are the 600 sqft 2 bedrooms as part of "phase 1".

I went recently. There are no details, no info, no timeframe to start construction, noting. Their estimated completion date is 2017 but that's really based off of nothing as far as I can tell given the lack of information I was getting. There was zero info on phase 2 apart from "bigger more expensive units". No timeframe for when they will go on sale etc. If Shaw wasn't an anchor tenant in this building I'd be calling it vaporware

TallBob
Dec 18, 2013, 7:14 AM
^^ Loren: No! You kind of pay attention to the history of some of this stuff. This project has been marketed for what, 3 1/2 years. They finally land a tenant (Shaw), so then you start feeling good about it's chances. Then come some changes here and their. I'd like to see what kind of a contract Shaw signed! I might be wrong, there has been one or two slight design changes and something with the Bp... You tell me! I'm just throwing a thought or two out there.

craner
Dec 18, 2013, 7:56 AM

Probably waiting till the new year now.:(

Spring2008
Jan 2, 2014, 4:06 AM
If there's no activity here within the next week or so, is it fair to say this project is dead?

Design-mind
Jan 2, 2014, 5:06 AM
When I went to the sales centre in May, they said it was a go for June if the weather cooperated. Unfortunately it didn't but seriously it is now January!

Surrealplaces
Jan 2, 2014, 5:12 PM
If I had to guess, I would say the project isn't dead, but that something is on hold somewhere, maybe the BP?

MichaelS
Jan 2, 2014, 5:18 PM
When I went to the sales centre in May, they said it was a go for June if the weather cooperated. Unfortunately it didn't but seriously it is now January!

I would be surprised to see it die, as Shaw has signed up for the office space.

lorenavedon
Jan 2, 2014, 6:18 PM
tower crane positioning issue in relation to the other eau Claire tower going up across the street. I know there are proximity limits and I think the way the other tower crane is positioned makes it problematic for the 3EC one to go up. Might be a long wait if that's the case

Chadillaccc
Jan 2, 2014, 6:25 PM
They could still at least commence with excavation of the site. Do they need a tower crane to pour the foundation and parking levels?

mersar
Jan 2, 2014, 8:05 PM
They could still at least commence with excavation of the site. Do they need a tower crane to pour the foundation and parking levels?

No, but its a lot more work/expensive to do it without. Without a crane you'd need more street lane closures to accommodate the pump trucks, and mobile cranes for doing work that you need a crane for (such as lifting forms) which the city charges for. Then you have to pay for the operators of those equipment, and use of that equipment itself. Tower cranes could work out to be fairly cheap in comparison, which is why we've been seeing more of them on smaller scale projects than we used to.

So any proximity issue could impact the timeline as if they may need to change the plans for how the building is constructed to meet whatever requirements they've been forced to deal with from the adjacent site. That or they could just wait to start until a point so that by the time excavation is completed that the other crane may have been taken down.

Full Mountain
Jan 2, 2014, 8:46 PM
No, but its a lot more work/expensive to do it without. Without a crane you'd need more street lane closures to accommodate the pump trucks, and mobile cranes for doing work that you need a crane for (such as lifting forms) which the city charges for. Then you have to pay for the operators of those equipment, and use of that equipment itself. Tower cranes could work out to be fairly cheap in comparison, which is why we've been seeing more of them on smaller scale projects than we used to.

So any proximity issue could impact the timeline as if they may need to change the plans for how the building is constructed to meet whatever requirements they've been forced to deal with from the adjacent site. That or they could just wait to start until a point so that by the time excavation is completed that the other crane may have been taken down.

Proximity should be able to be solved by use of a luffer style crane no?

TallBob
Jan 2, 2014, 11:16 PM
lorenavadon: Tower Crane positioning.... How do they do it in New York, Chicago?

craner
Jan 3, 2014, 8:33 PM
tower crane positioning issue in relation to the other eau Claire tower going up across the street. I know there are proximity limits and I think the way the other tower crane is positioned makes it problematic for the 3EC one to go up. Might be a long wait if that's the case

Oh great, it's bad enough that stupid chubby stubby getting built but now it is holding up construction of 3EC as well.:hell:

outoftheice
Jan 3, 2014, 9:38 PM
For what it's worth, I walked by the site yesterday and there were 3 construction guys onsite with a small digger moving dirt around. Definitely nothing substantial or anything resembling a start to construction but perhaps a sign that the project's not completely dead.

H.E.Pennypacker
Jan 3, 2014, 9:42 PM
I don't think the developer would go as far as closing the parking lot, and prepping the site for construction only to bail on it

Must be a hold up with the BP or something - maybe in relation to Eau Claire Tower

Deepstar
Jan 3, 2014, 9:48 PM
lorenavadon: Tower Crane positioning.... How do they do it in New York, Chicago?

Probably the same way as they would here, but waiting for the other crane to be higher.

Deepstar
Jan 3, 2014, 9:49 PM
For what it's worth, I walked by the site yesterday and there were 3 construction guys onsite with a small digger moving dirt around. Definitely nothing substantial or anything resembling a start to construction but perhaps a sign that the project's not completely dead.

I doubt it's completely dead, but definitely something holding things up.

geotag277
Jan 4, 2014, 12:35 AM
The City should get better with approving permits on time. These developments can be very time sensitive and every delay in breaking ground can have serious financial consequences for the stakeholders.