PDA

View Full Version : [St. John's] SimCity (2013)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

jeddy1989
Feb 15, 2013, 4:50 PM
So here it is! our thread for our region we will have on Sim City 2013! :cheers:

SIMCITY! coming out on March 5th!!!

makes me giddy hehehehe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimCity_(2013_video_game)

ex39YPws0GE

kzcB1IESdvg

One of the regions we are thinking of:

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4584/reflectionatollregion.png

Trader's Ridge - Don't let the bluff in the middle of this site get in your way, tunnel through it! This site has small coal, raw ore and crude oil deposits to take advantage of. The flat low-lying areas and shoreline provide perfect locations for Trade Ports.
Petrol Bay - With a massive crude oil reservoir, Petrol Bay is ready to become home to an oil Drilling city. The site's shoreline curves around a large bay to facilitate crude oil sales to the Global Market.
Cinder - Set at the base of Mount Cinder, this site's large coal deposits will provide many years of profit. A rail connection and shoreline provide opportunities for mayors to sell their coal on the Global Market.
Grand Haven - This site is surrounded by the Ring River, offering a nature wonderland with high land values. Mayors will find this an ideal site for a tourist or Education city.
Summit Vista - This plain has a fantastic view of the surrounding mountains. High land values create an ideal location for an educated city or a resort. Railways and shorelines provide locations for transit options.
Ingot Landing - This hilly site at the base of Clipper Mountain is flush with raw ore. Rail tracks and a sandy bay provide mayors specialized in Mining with a means to export their resources.
Soirée Sands - This sundrenched site has white sands that tourists will flock to. High land values lend themselves to developing an educated city while the shoreline can support a ferry to transport tourists and workers.

Trader's Ridge: Marty_Mcfly
Petrol Bay: Jeddy
Ingot Landing: Ayreonaut
Grand Haven: DJ
Cinder: SignalHillHiker
Summit Vista: rwspencer38
Soiree Sands: Copes

SignalHillHiker
Feb 15, 2013, 4:54 PM
I'm not surprised you and Ayero are into those sorts of games. You both have the minds for it. Your Metrobus plan comes to mind.

I have SimCity 4 (I think it's 4?) but I mostly just like creating pretty settings for cities. I hate actually building them. lol Although, I did enjoy Minecraft for building more than terrain modification.

Copes
Feb 15, 2013, 5:16 PM
Dude, that sounded nerdy beyond all recognition! :haha:

:cheers:

Haha I'd never deny it.

I have played Cards Against Humanity, and I agree, it is fantastic.

And as for Sim City, I am also quite thrilled for its release. However, I don't think my 3 year old laptop will play it very well. I'm currently trying to build my own computer, but I know very little about it. Its rough. I don't have too much money to toss around so I'm trying to build something powerful while still within a reasonable budget. Add in the fact that I'm computer illiterate and there is a problem. I have a buddy willing to build it for me if I assemble all the parts.

Ayreonaut
Feb 15, 2013, 10:37 PM
Yeah, stoked for the new SC. I like what I've seen so far. Cities XL was disappointing, but if SC took one thing from XL it should be the bus system. I love creating bus routes in XL! I hope they have actual LRT and not just the two-car trams that I see in the videos.

Dmajackson
Feb 15, 2013, 11:41 PM
And as for Sim City, I am also quite thrilled for its release. However, I don't think my 3 year old laptop will play it very well. I'm currently trying to build my own computer, but I know very little about it. Its rough. I don't have too much money to toss around so I'm trying to build something powerful while still within a reasonable budget. Add in the fact that I'm computer illiterate and there is a problem. I have a buddy willing to build it for me if I assemble all the parts.

I'm also excited :D

But I also have a three year old laptop which did not like SimCity4 so I don't have high expectations for this ... I just got a new apartment last month so I'm currently broke because of the furniture, moving, and security deposit (a full months rent out here!).

If only SSP Moderators were paid. If it was hourly I'd be set for life :haha:

jeddy1989
Feb 15, 2013, 11:44 PM
I'm also excited :D

But I also have a three year old laptop which did not like SimCity4 so I don't have high expectations for this ... I just got a new apartment last month so I'm currently broke because of the furniture, moving, and security deposit (a full months rent out here!).

If only SSP Moderators were paid. If it was hourly I'd be set for life :haha:

AMEN to that! :yes:

Architype
Feb 16, 2013, 12:16 AM
I will have to buy a new computer just for the simcity I guess, if it's that good. LOL.

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 16, 2013, 1:33 AM
I've played the crap out of sim city 4. Thank god the new game is out in a few weeks! My laptop should be able to handle it. Me and my girlfriend are both goin to buy on release day, I'll let you guys know what it's like.

Dmajackson
Feb 17, 2013, 6:59 AM
I've played the crap out of sim city 4. Thank god the new game is out in a few weeks! My laptop should be able to handle it. Me and my girlfriend are both goin to buy on release day, I'll let you guys know what it's like.

I'm going to buy it on release day too (probably at Wal-Mart). My computer hates SimCity 4 but it runs the Sims 3 pretty well (freezes for a few moments in more active moments) so I guess we'll see.

One thing is for sure if you guys think it is quiet on the forum now it's going to be a ghost town for a good week after MARCH 5TH (ONLY 17 DAYS AWAY)!

jeddy1989
Feb 17, 2013, 4:02 PM
I'm going to buy it on release day too (probably at Wal-Mart). My computer hates SimCity 4 but it runs the Sims 3 pretty well (freezes for a few moments in more active moments) so I guess we'll see.

One thing is for sure if you guys think it is quiet on the forum now it's going to be a ghost town for a good week after MARCH 5TH (ONLY 17 DAYS AWAY)!

you know what's amazing about this Sim City? the regions are very interactive and all citie sin a region play a role in each other's cities .. and they are really emphasizing the online aspect! THEREFORE if we wanted to we could make a region and play with a few of us from SSP :D could be tonnes of fun!

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 17, 2013, 4:12 PM
you know what's amazing about this Sim City? the regions are very interactive and all citie sin a region play a role in each other's cities .. and they are really emphasizing the online aspect! THEREFORE if we wanted to we could make a region and play with a few of us from SSP :D could be tonnes of fun!

You've got me. I'll make a city so great you'll all be leaving your Mount Pearl developments to move to my St. John's :P (yes, you heard that right. Sim City trash talk :D )

jeddy1989
Feb 17, 2013, 4:25 PM
You've got me. I'll make a city so great you'll all be leaving your Mount Pearl developments to move to my St. John's :P (yes, you heard that right. Sim City trash talk :D )

bahahahahhaha .. jeez don't you know me better than that .. i'm more about working together! and reagionalism ..

BUT if it comes to it I-'-L-L CRUSH YOU!!!!!! :babyeat::youmad::skyhighmind::skyhighmind::skyhighmind:

Ayreonaut
Feb 17, 2013, 4:35 PM
I spent most of yesterday and an hour this morning watching beta gameplay videos on youtube. I will probably buy the game, but there's no way it'll be as good as SC4. Overall I feel like it'll be a disappointment, but I hope they make some changes before the final release. One thing that could save it is if they allow for community mods like SC4. Most of what I built was downloaded user-created content from Simtropolis.

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 17, 2013, 4:39 PM
I spent most of yesterday and an hour this morning watching beta gameplay videos on youtube. I will probably buy the game, but there's no way it'll be as good as SC4. Overall I feel like it'll be a disappointment, but I hope they make some changes before the final release. One thing that could save it is if they allow for community mods like SC4. Most of what I built was downloaded user-created content from Simtropolis.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the game will be modable. I have hundreds of downloaded contents for SC4, including boring stock things like Starbucks and Wal Marts, just to give some realism :P

Ayreonaut
Feb 17, 2013, 4:45 PM
I just checked my old SC4 folder. I have about 800 subfolders! Most of them have multiple items, some have a bunch. So, probably a couple thousand items. I had a bunch of different trains/trams/buses, every real-world building I could find.

jeddy1989
Feb 17, 2013, 5:42 PM
oh god.. you guys are way more hard core than me ahhaha

Ayreonaut
Feb 17, 2013, 5:58 PM
Some of my old cities from the Show your Sim Cities thread:

From 2009
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6955/delta110609.jpg

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8484/kensingtonjun1081255024.png

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2531/uptownkensingtonjune420.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8285/kensingtonjune42010.jpg

Copes
Feb 18, 2013, 1:16 PM
I'm starting to buy pieces for my new PC on Feb 21st (beginning of my next Visa Bill period :haha:). When is the release date for Sim City again? I love the idea of a St. John's SSP region. Could be incredibly fun. I haven't played Sim City in ages so I would like to give it a spin on my own before bringing you all down with me, but that'd be such a cool thing to have.

jeddy1989
Feb 18, 2013, 1:25 PM
I'm starting to buy pieces for my new PC on Feb 21st (beginning of my next Visa Bill period :haha:). When is the release date for Sim City again? I love the idea of a St. John's SSP region. Could be incredibly fun. I haven't played Sim City in ages so I would like to give it a spin on my own before bringing you all down with me, but that'd be such a cool thing to have.

hahahaha I feel the same way and I was obsessed with the game before but I wasn't a wiz at it or anything and I haven't played it in a long time, maybe Copes you could put your city next to mine hahaha and we can help each other :P

It comes out on march 5th

Copes
Feb 18, 2013, 1:41 PM
Shotgun financial center or city full of vice. I want to be Mayor of one or the other. ;) Either NYC or Vegas for me!

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 18, 2013, 4:23 PM
Question: am I the only person on here who has the St. John's map for SC4? Because if I am I feel like I should share it with you guys ;)

Dmajackson
Feb 18, 2013, 4:24 PM
So I'm pleased to say I just had a quick online check of my machine for its SimCity (2013) compatibility and it should work. I do lack in the amount of dedicated video RAM but that is just recommended so it should run fine most of the time.

I think when I create my region I'm going to call the large touristy gambling city "Halifax", the higher-class city "St John's", the dirty industrial city "Moncton" and the university town "Charlottetown". If there's any land left I'll dub the low-class sprawl "Truro" and a wooded patch of nothingness "Sydney".

:tup:

JHikka
Feb 18, 2013, 4:29 PM
If you've played any SimCity in the past then the new one is going to be a letdown. I stopped playing the Beta after ten minutes because I was that unimpressed.

I still play SC4 from time to time but I lost the data on all of my big cities. The map that i'm currently going through (very slowly) is Osaka.

jeddy1989
Feb 18, 2013, 4:36 PM
Question: am I the only person on here who has the St. John's map for SC4? Because if I am I feel like I should share it with you guys ;)

do share! :)

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 18, 2013, 5:36 PM
do share! :)

I'll zip it up when I get the chance and link it on here. For anyone who may have a simtropolis account, you can find the region on there ;) The proportions are a little whacky: the harbour is insanely small in comparison to the amount of land around it. But the region is the northeast avalon as a whole: from Pouch Cove out to Holyrood and everything in between.

You can also find the HRM region and (I think Moncton) made by the same user as well. There are also some Halifax buildings on there, but nothing huge.

Copes
Feb 19, 2013, 2:32 PM
So, great news. Did some research yesterday after the talk here and it looks like my Laptop will be able to run SimCity. The construction of a new computer shouldn't hold me up.

Any idea what region we might want to dive into? Now that I've learned this, I think I'll be buying on launch day!

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/simcity/Regions

SignalHillHiker
Feb 20, 2013, 9:42 PM
:haha: Townie...

Also, you guys... (:haha: Oh God, now I'm laughing at my "Hey, you guys!") Anyhoo... I'm going to get SimCity's newest release as well so that I can be the comedic relief in your little building extravaganza.

Copes
Feb 21, 2013, 12:24 PM
:haha: Townie...

Also, you guys... (:haha: Oh God, now I'm laughing at my "Hey, you guys!") Anyhoo... I'm going to get SimCity's newest release as well so that I can be the comedic relief in your little building extravaganza.

Based on interest, I say we tackle a 7 person region. We want to have room to include everyone (and potentially add more) but I'm not sure if we want to have a mega region considering the distance between some cities.

Reflection Atoll (http://ca.ign.com/wikis/simcity/Reflection_Atoll) has space for 7 unique cities, while also connecting everyone via the same highway and train tracks. Horizon Archipelago (http://ca.ign.com/wikis/simcity/Horizon_Archipelago) would be the next largest region, but not everyone is connected. Not sure how that would work with trading and what not.

jeddy1989
Feb 21, 2013, 12:44 PM
Based on interest, I say we tackle a 7 person region. We want to have room to include everyone (and potentially add more) but I'm not sure if we want to have a mega region considering the distance between some cities.

Reflection Atoll (http://ca.ign.com/wikis/simcity/Reflection_Atoll) has space for 7 unique cities, while also connecting everyone via the same highway and train tracks. Horizon Archipelago (http://ca.ign.com/wikis/simcity/Horizon_Archipelago) would be the next largest region, but not everyone is connected. Not sure how that would work with trading and what not.

personally I like my city to be near water or have mountains or something of interest not just a flat area and the city areas can be quite small initially, you can acquire neighboring areas if unoccupied to expand if i'm not mistaken, so it'd be nice of our cities weren't all directly connected and pushing into each other (becoming the NEA :P ) but both maps seem nice

having another look I'm leaning towards the smaller one, I'd want one of the bays or that middle island

Copes
Feb 21, 2013, 12:51 PM
personally I like my city to be near water or have mountains or something of interest not just a flat area and the city areas can be quite small initially, you can acquire neighboring areas if unoccupied to expand if i'm not mistaken, so it'd be nice of our cities weren't all directly connected and pushing into each other (becoming the NEA :P ) but both maps seem nice

having another look I'm leaning towards the smaller one, I'd want one of the bays or that middle island

While that was a feature in Sim City 4, it doesn't seem to be the case in the new SC. In region view, cities will be notably separated. The goal of Sim City 2013 seems to be to create multiple cities within one region, versus Sim City 4 where you used a region to create one massive city.

From what little I've read on forums, it seems die-hard fans of SC4 are actually very much opposed to the change, with many refusing to buy the game.

Copes
Feb 21, 2013, 11:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TOSNdmSvhaU#!

Great video with old creator and new creator discussing the game. The talk about how much you can immerse yourself into the lives of those living in your city is awesome. I'm getting more and more pumped.

Jeddy, I'm assuming that Petrol Bay is one of the bays (genius I know) and Grand Haven is the middle island.

Personally I'd love to make a city with a booming economy (Petrol Bay or Trader's Ridge jump out at me), or, as I said, a Vegas-style tourist trap (Soiree Sands and Summit Vista look great for that).

jeddy1989
Feb 22, 2013, 12:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TOSNdmSvhaU#!

Great video with old creator and new creator discussing the game. The talk about how much you can immerse yourself into the lives of those living in your city is awesome. I'm getting more and more pumped.

Jeddy, I'm assuming that Petrol Bay is one of the bays (genius I know) and Grand Haven is the middle island.

Personally I'd love to make a city with a booming economy (Petrol Bay or Trader's Ridge jump out at me), or, as I said, a Vegas-style tourist trap (Soiree Sands and Summit Vista look great for that).

I'm so excited now you have no idea!

This is exactly what I LOVE when I play strategy games! the realistic complexity and how it is all interconnected .. very awesome!

Copes
Feb 22, 2013, 12:44 AM
Plus, the Ubran Planning / Skyscraper loving geeks in us are getting to live our dream. City building.

I did some looking at the map, and I think its safe to say these are the 7 sites for cities. I based this off of where the highway / traintracks (the yellow and white lines) have abrupt ends. We know that not all cities are necessarily connected to both, so only one needs to exist. The sites sort of coincide with the descriptions on IGNs website, but some of them were my best guesses.

Trader's Ridge, Petrol Bay or Soiree Sands are definitely my top 3 locations. I'm really looking forward to diving into a region with you all (assuming of course this is the region we choose. I'll play any :haha:)

jeddy1989
Feb 22, 2013, 1:12 AM
there's already a deluze edition coming out!? lol I'd love to make a european style city :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXspSHoDOXg

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 22, 2013, 1:28 AM
Deluxe edition coming out just three days after the main version? Nice :haha:

Also: I'm too stoked for this. I hope the maps are decently sized, I've always tried to add some realism to my cities by having more suburban, rural-styled residential on the fringes leading in to a denser, more urban center. Imagine driving down Thurburn Road from the ORR exit to near Seaborn. I'd be a little disappointed if the maps were to small to do these fun things.

JHikka
Feb 22, 2013, 1:42 AM
From what little I've read on forums, it seems die-hard fans of SC4 are actually very much opposed to the change, with many refusing to buy the game.

As an avid fan of SC4 (and slightly part of that community) I will confirm that we have no interest in buying the new SC. We didn't really want a Sims and Farmville hybrid, which is essentially what the new SC is.

jeddy1989
Feb 22, 2013, 1:45 AM
well personally I think i'm gonna love it :D

What I disliked about the older sim citys is that I would get bored because the interaction seemed to computer generated and pretty much every city ended up very very similar and the people were just a graphic. BUT people have different preferences and I think the small maps are going to be a bit irritating but thats ok. Another game I love because of how everything is realistically connected is the settlers and stronghold etc. :) so it's right up my alley

PS I love SC4 too so I'm excited

Ayreonaut
Feb 22, 2013, 1:51 AM
I want the mountainous one so I can pretend it's Alberta!

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 22, 2013, 1:52 AM
I'm a little nervous I won't like it, I'm afraid it'll be too much like SimSocieties, but I'll try and be hopeful. If anything, at least I'll have the chance to play online with you guys which should help keep things interesting.

JHikka
Feb 22, 2013, 1:58 AM
What I disliked about the older sim citys is that I would get bored because the interaction seemed to computer generated and pretty much every city ended up very very similar

That's why you start downloading mods and user-created buildings and lots. ;)

In fact, there is a Toronto/Ontario BAT team just created a few weeks ago who are making Toronto buildings for SC4.

Copes
Feb 22, 2013, 2:15 AM
Deluxe edition coming out just three days after the main version? Nice :haha:

Also: I'm too stoked for this. I hope the maps are decently sized, I've always tried to add some realism to my cities by having more suburban, rural-styled residential on the fringes leading in to a denser, more urban center. Imagine driving down Thurburn Road from the ORR exit to near Seaborn. I'd be a little disappointed if the maps were to small to do these fun things.

While I think you can do more sprawly-type low density residential, another complaint I'm constantly reading is the lack of farms and agriculture and what not. You aren't able to edit the space between the various cities in a region. Not sure if that's bad news for you or not. :(

I agree though, to be honest the differences between this game and SC4 leave me more interested in this one. This sort of simulation and specialization seems to be right up my alley. It seems to me that SC4 focused on using a region to build one giant city and its surrounding area. SC(2013) seems to instead focus on building multiple smaller cities, that function in a way that benefits the entire region.

Different strokes for different folks I think. I've played a bit of SC4, and while fun, I have to say I think SC(2013) appeals to me far more. I can't wait to dive in.

Copes
Feb 22, 2013, 2:16 AM
I want the mountainous one so I can pretend it's Alberta!

Haha, we'll save you the once I have labeled as Cinder on the map (I assume that's the one you're referring to?) Shame its coal and not oil. :P

Dmajackson
Feb 22, 2013, 2:20 AM
Trader's Ridge, Petrol Bay or Soiree Sands are definitely my top 3 locations. I'm really looking forward to diving into a region with you all (assuming of course this is the region we choose. I'll play any :haha:)

I'd go for Trader's Ridge, Soiree Sands, or Grand Haven personally.

I'd normally say once we settle on a region it should be the first to start playing can choose their city but I just remembered that I'm 3.5 hours behind the rest of you!

jeddy1989
Feb 22, 2013, 2:25 AM
I'd like Cinder, Petrol bay or grand haven if these are correct :) I like the ones by the water

Ingot Landing has mountains too

It's funny though because to the right of grand haven is a large flat area that would seem like there would be a city there? i dunno

Edit we are so gonna have to make a thread for this hahaha with updates and screenshots so everyone can follow along :) I'm actually quite excited for this!

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 22, 2013, 2:30 AM
Quick everyone, make city blogs! :P

Copes
Feb 22, 2013, 2:32 AM
Yeah, I'm really just guessing, its entirely possible that the site to the right of Grand Haven is a city. Don't take my map as fact, it was simply my best guess.

And yeah, I was thinking we'll need a thread as well so we don't overrun this thread.

For interest sake, how many people ARE interested? Maybe we would be better off with an 11 or 16 city map? I love Reflection Atoll, but if we already have 5 or 6 people, and we may want to let others join after... maybe we should consider the bigger one?

Off the top of my head we have myself, Signal, Jeddy, Ayreonaut, Marty, Dmajackson... that's 6/7 already.

Dmajackson
Feb 22, 2013, 2:32 AM
I'd like Cinder, Petrol bay or grand haven if these are correct :) I like the ones by the water

Ingot Landing has mountains too

It's funny though because to the right of grand haven is a large flat area that would seem like there would be a city there? i dunno

It's probably the "Great Works" site since I imagine it would be difficult to build a solar plant of the side of a mountain.

jeddy1989
Feb 22, 2013, 2:35 AM
It's probably the "Great Works" site since I imagine it would be difficult to build a solar plant of the side of a mountain.

oh right!!!! the regional cooperation site! awesome :)

Copes
I'm def in!

I always liked larger regions.. seems more realistic.. however I needs me some coast :)

Ayreonaut
Feb 22, 2013, 2:46 AM
Haha, we'll save you the once I have labeled as Cinder on the map (I assume that's the one you're referring to?) Shame its coal and not oil. :P

I was thinking Ingot Landing or whatever that one was. No coastline. Jeddy can have Cinder.

jeddy1989
Feb 22, 2013, 2:48 AM
I'm now more leaning towards petrol bay or grand haven :)

Copes
Feb 22, 2013, 1:24 PM
Jeddy,

Think we should split this thread up and start a "St. John's Community SimCity (2013)" thread?

Going through posts and trying to make everyone happy here is what everyone has showed interest in:

Trader's Ridge: Copes / Dmajackson
Petrol Bay: Copes / Jeddy
Grand Haven: Dmajackson / Jeddy
Cinder: Jeddy
Summit Vista:
Soiree Sands: Copes / Dmajackson

Yet to Comment: Signalhillhiker, Marty

So, through process of elimination I can come up with:

Trader's Ridge: Dmajackson
Petrol Bay: Copes
Grand Haven: Jeddy
Cinder:
Summit Vista:
Soiree Sands:

Myself or Dmajackson could also bounce to Soiree Sands if someone else was dying for Petrol / Trader's.

AND if we decide to go with a larger region with water access (as per Jeddy's request) then might I suggest Discovery Delta (http://ca.ign.com/wikis/simcity/Discovery_Delta). That would be a possibility too, however I don't know if we have the 16 people. Horizon Archipelago (http://ca.ign.com/wikis/simcity/Horizon_Archipelago) is also really neat, but we'd be separated by islands (which wouldn't necessarily be so bad). Unfortunately for Horizon it appears that there are more cliffs than beaches for coastline.

Copes
Feb 22, 2013, 1:29 PM
Great Google Docs Analysis of the 16-person cities if we decide to go that route (and want to plan our region beforehand):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AthcCIX2SPRvdGpYSHZFQTdBdlRielRwSDFCM3I2Mmc&usp=sharing#gid=0

I found this at this Reddit, which I have yet to really go through fully:

http://www.neckbeard.ca/r/Redditropolis/comments/17orzl/simcity_16_player_regions_a_quick/

Alright I need to do some work now haha. Enough day-dreaming about our Region. It'll come soon enough.

SignalHillHiker
Feb 22, 2013, 1:37 PM
I'll take whatever the rest don't want. :) I am seriously going to try, BTW... it won't just be a joke for me. But I don't want to take any area that someone else wants because I suspect they would have done more with it than I will, :haha:

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 22, 2013, 9:08 PM
Also turn off your wifi if you're not connected to a network. Your phone will burn through its battery life if it's left on but not connected.

And for sim city, I don't really care which region or area you designate for me, I'll maximize its amazingness anyway :tup:

Dmajackson
Feb 23, 2013, 1:32 AM
Jeddy,

Think we should split this thread up and start a "St. John's Community SimCity (2013)" thread?

Going through posts and trying to make everyone happy here is what everyone has showed interest in:

Summit Vista:

Cinder:
Summit Vista:
Soiree Sands:

Myself or Dmajackson could also bounce to Soiree Sands if someone else was dying for Petrol / Trader's.

AND if we decide to go with a larger region with water access (as per Jeddy's request) then might I suggest Discovery Delta (http://ca.ign.com/wikis/simcity/Discovery_Delta). That would be a possibility too, however I don't know if we have the 16 people. Horizon Archipelago (http://ca.ign.com/wikis/simcity/Horizon_Archipelago) is also really neat, but we'd be separated by islands (which wouldn't necessarily be so bad). Unfortunately for Horizon it appears that there are more cliffs than beaches for coastline.

If we do a sixteen person city we could each choose one. Build them up and then for people who want to get to pick a second location. If we all pick two cities eventually then that leaves 4 spots left for others to join us.

My personal vote is for Viridian Woods (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AthcCIX2SPRvdGpYSHZFQTdBdlRielRwSDFCM3I2Mmc&usp=sharing#gid=0). This is a balanced region and with two cities each we can all get rail and/or water access in at least one of them.

If we choose this region I vote we all choose our three favourites; the two you want and a backup in case the others are popular. So #1 for your favourite, #2 for your second favourite, and #3 for your backup.

Lancaster Pointe - Marty_Mcfly #1, DJ #3,
Tudor Isle -
Yorkshire Cliffs - Copes #1, Marty_Mcfly #2,
Wessex Bend - Copes #2
Gaugin Valley -
Matisse Plains -
Monet Plateau -
Rousseau Flats -
Hohenburg Shores - DJ #1
Burghausen Hills -
Bamberg Basin -
Straussburg Isles - DJ #2, Copes #3
Figaro Forest -
Tosca Cliffs -
Traviata Knoll -
Giovanni Woods - Marty_Mcfly #2

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 23, 2013, 1:48 AM
Reading through them now, trying to decide. Whoever wrote those descriptions make ALL the regions sound excellent :haha:

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 23, 2013, 1:52 AM
Alright, here we go

#1 - Lancaster Pointe
#2 - Yorkshire Bend
#3 - Geovanni Woods

Copes
Feb 23, 2013, 3:37 PM
Oh yeah, Copes - I plugged my phone back in at 2:30 (so, six hours use) and it was still at 86% battery life.

You and your working phone! I'm taking mine back today.

To be honest, Viridian Woods is probably my least favorite of the three 16-city regions. Too many Plains, Plateaus and Flats for my liking. Seems boring. That being said, if we do choose it, I'll probably go with Yorkshire Cliffs #1, Wessex Bend #2 and Straussburg Isles as #3.

jeddy1989
Feb 23, 2013, 6:48 PM
So here it is! our thread for our region we will have on Sim City 2013! :cheers:

Dmajackson
Feb 23, 2013, 8:26 PM
So this is the current list if Viridian Woods (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AthcCIX2SPRvdGpYSHZFQTdBdlRielRwSDFCM3I2Mmc&usp=sharing#gid=0) is our choice. I've bolded which city each of us would be given to start off with. For second round cities I've italised them

Lancaster Pointe - Marty_Mcfly #1, DJ #3,
Tudor Isle -
Yorkshire Cliffs - Copes #1, Marty_Mcfly #2,
Wessex Bend - Copes #2
Gaugin Valley -
Matisse Plains -
Monet Plateau -
Rousseau Flats -
Hohenburg Shores - DJ #1
Burghausen Hills -
Bamberg Basin -
Straussburg Isles - DJ #2, Copes #3
Figaro Forest -
Tosca Cliffs -
Traviata Knoll -
Giovanni Woods - Marty_Mcfly #2

If people prefer Discovery Delta though here's their options. Maybe we can do the same as above (pick top three in order) and once all six or seven of us choose our favourites in both regions we can then pick which region to go with based on if we are content with what cities we are given?

Sawyer's Crossing -
Huckleberry Island -
Harper Plains -
Thatcher Overlook -
Cottonwood Forest -
Magnolia Wetlands -
Honeysuckle Marsh -
Willow Woods - DJ #3
Rising Sun Valley -
Barleycorn Point -
Stackolee Ravine - DJ #1
Cotton Bend -
Washtub Fields -
Spooner Plains -
Jugband Hills -
Kazoo Basin - DJ #2

I'm not including the options for the other region (Titan Gorge) because it appears that water access is in high demand and only 3 cities in that region have access to it.

jeddy1989
Feb 23, 2013, 8:40 PM
so are we going with a 16 player map?

I'm happy with the smaller one and building my city in Petrol bay if we go with it.. up to you guys

Ayreonaut
Feb 23, 2013, 8:45 PM
:previous: We could start with the small one until we know the game better, then move onto the bigger regions.

How can we tell which city is which on those two maps?

magee_b
Feb 23, 2013, 8:50 PM
Just got done catching up on some gameplay footage and noticed this thread! The graphics look pretty impressive, though I guess I fall into the category of the hardcore SC4 fans when I say as a whole it's a bit disappointing. Small city-sized, can't build out a large realistic looking region (size wise, not necessarily population), and just seems rather limited given the powerful engine that is running it. Kind of reminds me of a SimTown reboot as opposed to a SimCity reboot. Ahh well, there's enough user-generated content on-the-go for SC4 to keep it going for another 10 years (some good quality Atlantic Canadian content too!). For those looking for interactive social play though, should be lots to do there.

Dmajackson
Feb 23, 2013, 9:06 PM
Jeddy,

Summit Vista:

Cinder:
Summit Vista:
Soiree Sands:

I don't mind starting off with the smaller region either. Jeddy1989 has requested Trader's Ridge so I've reconfigured the old list to meet this as well as my preference to build a education/resort town.

Trader's Ridge: Copes
Cinder:
Summit Vista:
Soiree Sands:

SignalHillHiker can choose one of the remaining three cities.

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 23, 2013, 9:28 PM
I don't mind starting off with the smaller region either. Jeddy1989 has requested Trader's Ridge so I've reconfigured the old list to meet this as well as my preference to build a education/resort town.

Trader's Ridge: Copes
Cinder:
Summit Vista:
Soiree Sands:

SignalHillHiker can choose one of the remaining three cities.

^Yeah and any of the other remaining cities are fine for me, though I'd probably take a preference over Summit Vista over the others :tup:

SignalHillHiker
Feb 23, 2013, 9:37 PM
I'll take whatever's left. :D I really have no preference where I build so bring it on. :D

Copes
Feb 23, 2013, 10:15 PM
Yeah I'd prefer to start on the smaller map as well, and move to a 16 person region after we get a feel for managing a single town and how regional cooperation works.

If its all the same, I'd hope over to Soiree Sands instead of Trader's Ridge, after further thinking.

Trader's Ridge:
Cinder:
Summit Vista:

SignalHillHiker and Marty can choose one of the remaining three cities.

I've decided I want to build a Crime Infested Gambling lair and allow crime to spill into all of your borders! :yes:

Architype
Feb 23, 2013, 11:32 PM
I might want in on this if it gets going.
;)

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 24, 2013, 12:31 AM
I've decided I want to build a Crime Infested Gambling lair and allow crime to spill into all of your borders! :yes:

No, not Martyville!

my face when you destroy my city with your crime:

http://gamentrain.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/James-Rolfe.jpg

Copes
Feb 24, 2013, 12:50 AM
Don't worry, I'll happily take your corrupt city officials and sleazy cops if you're looking for a place to get rid of them. It won't be all bad. Maybe I'll set up the dump as well.

Cope Land will flourish in its own unique way.

jeddy1989
Feb 24, 2013, 3:42 PM
Awesome little video! hahaha

RodekwSyo40

Trevor3
Feb 24, 2013, 4:11 PM
First time I seen this thread.

I played the hell out of SC4, to the point that my laptop will no longer play it. Whenever I put in the disc my computer overheats and shuts down. So frustrating.

The only thing I never liked about it was that SC4 didn't allow for building a single "metropolis". The regions are cool, but I could never build a city of more than 220,000. It still looks impressive in the game, but I'd like to be able to build a Toronto or Vancouver.

magee_b
Feb 24, 2013, 8:43 PM
The only thing I never liked about it was that SC4 didn't allow for building a single "metropolis". The regions are cool, but I could never build a city of more than 220,000. It still looks impressive in the game, but I'd like to be able to build a Toronto or Vancouver.

Issue with creating a metropolis (and it remains on the new SimCity) is scale. Each large city tile in an SC4 region was scaled to about 4km x 4km (I used to do a large amount of map creation for SC4 over at Simtropolis some years ago, though I realized after sometime that my scale was off:rolleyes:). Anyway, point being, in order to do a proper re-creation, or to create a true metropolis you need a very large region that blends across city tiles (And usually quite a powerful computer). There are many who do this, and quite impressively in fact. For me I stick to doing re-creations/re-interpretations of smaller areas (usually cities of less than 200,000), as it doesn't need as much computing power and I generally prefer smaller cities (it's what I know!). Still, in that case I would be using 6-10 city tiles to do it.

Here's a sample of what can be done with a well-equipped SC4 and working on a region of about 10x5ish large city tiles (40km x 20km) - This is by 'RickD' at sc4devotion.com (link to post below). I can only wish that I had his eye for detail.:worship:

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/1543/santabarbaraklein.jpg
Photo By "RickD" at SC4Devotion.com - Full Size (http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/3355/santabarbaras.jpg)

As originally seen at http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10396.msg412144#msg412144

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 24, 2013, 9:47 PM
^wow that's an impressive looking map.

One thing I never liked about SC4 was how difficult it was to build on slopes. Each building was made level with a huge concrete base which looked awful (there could be a mod out there to fix it, I've never looked).

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 24, 2013, 10:06 PM
I've been watching some beta play for the new game, and I think I won't have a problem with the game as a whole. My only concern will be that mass transit options may be limited, though I do remember that many of the mass transit perks that existed in SC4 were released with the Rush Hour expansion pack so the same thing could be happening here. I'd also like to see some type of game option where you could plant trees during gameplay.

My only real problem is with how poorly the people are playing the beta. So. Much. Wasted. Space. :hell:

EDIT: As I'm watching a video I'm seeing a few things that I like!

- School service areas can be extended by building bus stops. So instead of building a new school outside of the other schools circle, you can just place a few stops to increase its range.

- Instead of building brand new service buildings when they reach capacity, you can pay to build new sections/wings onto the building

I'll keep editing if I see more things I like :)

Copes
Feb 24, 2013, 10:27 PM
I've been watching some beta play for the new game, and I think I won't have a problem with the game as a whole. My only concern will be that mass transit options may be limited, though I do remember that many of the mass transit perks that existed in SC4 were released with the Rush Hour expansion pack so the same thing could be happening here. I'd also like to see some type of game option where you could plant trees during gameplay.

My only real problem is with how poorly the people are playing the beta. So. Much. Wasted. Space. :hell:

EDIT: As I'm watching a video I'm seeing a few things that I like!

- School service areas can be extended by building bus stops. So instead of building a new school outside of the other schools circle, you can just place a few stops to increase its range.

- Instead of building brand new service buildings when they reach capacity, you can pay to build new sections/wings onto the building

I'll keep editing if I see more things I like :)

Links?

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 24, 2013, 10:29 PM
Links?

This is the one I'm watching, but there are plenty more out there :tup:

RBJtF7C6oyo

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 24, 2013, 10:37 PM
Further along in his gameplay he plays around with a bus system. There are nice options there actually, which include a bus depot, individual stops, and a park-and-ride system

Copes
Feb 25, 2013, 2:45 AM
I watched his full session. I really thought it was neat how you could zone out into the full region view, which he does at the end. I also figured out where all the towns in Cape Trinity are when he did that, which is great, because Cape Trinity is my planned first personal region so I can get the hang of things. There were a lot of neat things I caught as he was playing. Certainly would have built the town differently than he did. After the hour, his central area was starting to build up. I think with some better zoning he could have stretched that further and had far more density. I can't wait to play this game. I just hope my laptop can indeed play it (which it appears it can). Having to wait until my computer is built would be painful.

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 25, 2013, 3:41 AM
I'm just banking on the fact that my computer handles The Sims 3 and SC4 well that it should be able to handle the new game. If not, I'll be the saddest person alive.

Fischbob
Feb 25, 2013, 6:18 AM
Add me to the laundry list of Saint Johners who were really into SC4 and are a little put off by the new title, haha! The game does look very impressive in its own right, but to me this iteration feels more like a prototype than a full-on sequel in the series (at least it's better than SC: Societies :haha:). I share magee_b's gripes about the game, and would only add to that list the always online requirement for even the singleplayer stuff as being particularly disappointing. If I do pick it up, it'll probably be when there's a sale.

Clearly the potential for collaborative multiplayer regions is one of the game's strong points. Make sure you guys post regular updates and screenshots here for the rest of us! :cheers:

rwspencer38
Feb 25, 2013, 1:11 PM
I would LOVE to get in on some SimCity action!! I've been an avid city design gamer for years. I will say that i've been let down by SimCity games in the past in that they are way to strict in placement and design.

I am surprised no one mentioned the game CitiesXL?? that game is extremely good and the engine allows for custom inputs, therefore the game is always changing.

None the less, if you are doing any kind of region building count me in.

jeddy1989
Feb 25, 2013, 1:30 PM
I would LOVE to get in on some SimCity action!! I've been an avid city design gamer for years. I will say that i've been let down by SimCity games in the past in that they are way to strict in placement and design.

I am surprised no one mentioned the game CitiesXL?? that game is extremely good and the engine allows for custom inputs, therefore the game is always changing.

None the less, if you are doing any kind of region building count me in.

welcome! just choose a site for your city and I'll add your name, the info is on the first post

rwspencer38
Feb 25, 2013, 3:18 PM
I'll do Summit Vista!

SignalHillHiker
Feb 25, 2013, 3:31 PM
And make sure you give me whatever's left. :D

Copes
Feb 25, 2013, 5:51 PM
Well, you and Marty both want "whatever is left" and as of right now there are two left (Cinder and Trader's Ridge) so I'd say that

a) our region is full

b) one of you is going to have to pick one or the other. :P

SignalHillHiker
Feb 25, 2013, 5:53 PM
I'm genuinely indifferent but, for the sake of wrapping this up, I'll take Cinder.

jeddy1989
Feb 25, 2013, 5:57 PM
So here's the region boys

Trader's Ridge: Marty_Mcfly
Cinder: SignalHillHiker
Summit Vista: rwspencer38

SignalHillHiker
Feb 25, 2013, 6:03 PM
So how long do we have to wait before we can start teasing each other?

Because all the folks in Cinder are complaining about how Grand Haven is leeching off their resource wealth and leveraging its slightly-more-strategic location to bloat on government welfare industries.

Meanwhile, Cinder council is too preoccupied trying to figure out how to make the most of a very small harbour.

And you know those conservatives up in Ingot Landing have won the regional elections so we're all ****ed now.

Copes
Feb 25, 2013, 10:34 PM
I'm out of space in my 12 jails, does anyone have any room to spare?

Dmajackson
Feb 26, 2013, 12:49 AM
So how long do we have to wait before we can start teasing each other?

Because all the folks in Cinder are complaining about how Grand Haven is leeching off their resource wealth and leveraging its slightly-more-strategic location to bloat on government welfare industries.

Meanwhile, Cinder council is too preoccupied trying to figure out how to make the most of a very small harbour.

And you know those conservatives up in Ingot Landing have won the regional elections so we're all ****ed now.

Well what do you expect the mayor of Grand Haven is from Halifax! Leeching off of our neighbours is our specialty. :D

If any cities start acting like Calgary or Toronto are we able to send a tornado their way? :P

I'll start my intense teasing as soon as Grand Haven becomes the education capital! Then me and my Sims can come up with smart-ass remarks all day!

SignalHillHiker
Feb 26, 2013, 1:17 AM
:haha: I love it!

I think I may actually try to recreate a sort of old St. John's in Cinder... we'll see.

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 26, 2013, 1:48 AM
The view of Trader's ridge harbour shall not be obstructed by anything over 2 storys. PARKING LOTS EVERYWHERE. SAVE THE VIEWS.

rwspencer38
Feb 26, 2013, 1:02 PM
Vacation homes rule the roost in Summit Vista. My plan will see this once small community flourish into THE vacation destination for the region. Nothing but amazing views and side street markets for this location!

jeddy1989
Feb 26, 2013, 1:42 PM
Petrol Bay will become a UAE style mixed with Latin American/ Spanish style... I will most likely make it as if it is a Spanish city names wise :) just to add some diversity to our region

Ayreonaut
Feb 26, 2013, 2:25 PM
:haha: I love it!

I think I may actually try to recreate a sort of old St. John's in Cinder... we'll see.

Easily done in SC4. That's one thing that came to mind after we had moved on to other topics during the meet. By alternating between single tiles of medium- and high-density residential you could build massive rowhouse neighbourhoods. I think we'll have less control over the appearance of our cities in the new game.

jeddy1989
Feb 26, 2013, 8:16 PM
there's 45 mins left of watching them play live and you can vote on a disaster to happen to their city :)

http://letsallbemayor.com/en/event/disaster-city

Copes
Feb 26, 2013, 10:23 PM
Vacation homes rule the roost in Summit Vista. My plan will see this once small community flourish into THE vacation destination for the region. Nothing but amazing views and side street markets for this location!

Depends what sort of vacation folks are after I suppose. Soiree Sands will attract the risk takers, interested in the chance to walk away as new men and women after major wins in the casinos.

It will also steal the cars, homes and souls of those who aren't so fortunate.

Dmajackson
Mar 4, 2013, 2:34 AM
So only slighly over a day until we can start putting our trash talking to use! :haha:

SignalHillHiker
Mar 4, 2013, 2:46 AM
Ooh, already? :D Wow! :D