PDA

View Full Version : [St. John's] Restaurant Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

J_Murphy
Jan 9, 2013, 4:52 PM
Thought I would create this to take the restaurant discussion out of the Retail thread. Please post any rumours or reviews of any restaurants in this thread.

Anyways, a few new restaurants to mention:

1. The old Magnum and Steins is now called 'Saltwater'.
2. The old Cellar is now called 'St. John's Chophouse'.
3. There is a new place called 'The Reluctant Chef' next to Basho.
4. 'The Club' is now open in the former Peter Belbins location on Duckworth.

I haven't tried any of these yet but really hoping to try out 'The Club' in the next little while. Really sounds like my kind of place (Steak and Beer).

:pepper::tomato::dancingtaco:dancingbacon

SignalHillHiker
Jan 9, 2013, 4:54 PM
I tried Relish recently, on Waldegrave Street. Gourmet burger joint for people who don't know. I was hoping it would be something like Unburger in Winnipeg, which (unfortunately, still) makes the best burger I have ever had in my life.

That said, Relish is AMAZING. Easily the best burger I've ever had in St. John's. And so many interesting and cool toppings to choose from. Really makes it a new experience.

statbass
Jan 9, 2013, 4:57 PM
I tried Relish recently, on Waldegrave Street. Gourmet burger joint for people who don't know. I was hoping it would be something like Unburger in Winnipeg, which (unfortunately, still) makes the best burger I have ever had in my life.

That said, Relish is AMAZING. Easily the best burger I've ever had in St. John's. And so many interesting and cool toppings to choose from. Really makes it a new experience.

I also heard (I believe someone else posted here) that The Works gourmet burger will be setting up shop here...not sure if it's a rumor or fact. I've had it a couple of times in Ottawa and I loved it! Here's a link to their website:

http://www.worksburger.com/

J_Murphy
Jan 9, 2013, 5:02 PM
I also heard (I believe someone else posted here) that The Works gourmet burger will be setting up shop here...not sure if it's a rumor or fact. I've had it a couple of times in Ottawa and I loved it! Here's a link to their website:

Yes, this is true. I posted that in the retail thread a few weeks back. The link below confirms that it is coming soon.

http://www.worksburger.com/Locations/StJohns/tabid/108643/Default.aspx

J.A.I.L.
Jan 9, 2013, 5:05 PM

Oh I hope! I also tried in Ottawa a few times it was excellent! Best burger i have had! It will defiantly give relish a run for its money!

Copes
Jan 9, 2013, 6:09 PM
Thought I would create this to take the restaurant discussion out of the Retail thread. Please post any rumours or reviews of any restaurants in this thread.

I haven't tried any of these yet but really hoping to try out 'The Club' in the next little while. Really sounds like my kind of place (Steak and Beer).

I took my girlfriend to The Club for her birthday on one of the first nights it opened. The food was good, the beer was good, but what really stood out for me was the atmosphere. It's the kind of place I'd love to go and have a few pints with the boys (as a matter of fact, now that I think about it, it'd be a fantastic spot to have the SSP Forum Meet).

You feel like you're in a pub, but the food is Blue on Water / Gypsy / Portobellos quality. I wouldn't say that it blew my mind anymore than any of those places did, but the decor was fantastic and I really enjoyed the darker, pubish atmosphere.

J_Murphy
Jan 9, 2013, 6:22 PM
I took my girlfriend to The Club for her birthday on one of the first nights it opened. The food was good, the beer was good, but what really stood out for me was the atmosphere. It's the kind of place I'd love to go and have a few pints with the boys (as a matter of fact, now that I think about it, it'd be a fantastic spot to have the SSP Forum Meet).

You feel like you're in a pub, but the food is Blue on Water / Gypsy / Portobellos quality. I wouldn't say that it blew my mind anymore than any of those places did, but the decor was fantastic and I really enjoyed the darker, pubish atmosphere.

Awesome!

And for anyone who doesn't know, this restaurant is run by the same owner/chef of Aqua (Mark McCrowe).

Ayreonaut
Jan 9, 2013, 7:33 PM
I have so many restaurants on my list of places to try here, but it's tough to find time/money as my friends are all students in their early 20s (as am I). I've only been to Shalimar, International Flavours, The Sprout, and many of the pizza and fish & chip places. I'd love to try India Gate, J Korean, Basho, and Afghan this semester as well. If I'm feeling like steak, ribs, or any traditional North American foods, really, I'd just as soon cook it myself than go out.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 9, 2013, 7:33 PM
It'd be cool to have regular forum meets, new restaurant each time.

Also: http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3si1tk/

Ayreonaut
Jan 9, 2013, 7:44 PM
Also: http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3si1tk/

:haha: That was me last semester, but I'm good at the moment.

AllBlack
Jan 10, 2013, 4:13 AM
We used to enjoy Peter Belbin's. Excellent steaks and even better bread pudding dessert. Glad to hear we have a couple new steak houses open, I'll have to try them out.

MrChills
Jan 15, 2013, 4:58 PM
Speaking of Burgers someone mentioned to me that Five Guys will be coming to St. John's in the future http://fiveguys.ca/ - hands down the best burger and fries in my mind, and half the price of most of the "high end" burger joints out there.

MrChills
Jan 15, 2013, 5:01 PM
One thing that kills me about St. John's is pizza.

We seriously have the worst pizza in Canada. Venice had a thin crust that I liked, but other than that everyone serves a box of dough, which I guess people most like as it seems be the the same recipe more or less everywhere. However, I like pizza for the ingredients and taste of sauce, if I wanted to eat a loaf of bread.. I would.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 15, 2013, 5:03 PM
:haha:

True enough.

jeddy1989
Jan 15, 2013, 5:09 PM
Speaking of Burgers someone mentioned to me that Five Guys will be coming to St. John's in the future http://fiveguys.ca/ - hands down the best burger and fries in my mind, and half the price of most of the "high end" burger joints out there.

wow I've heard a lot about them from my sister who travels to the US. She LOVES them and goes out of her way to eat there whenever in a city with one. Now with that and Target, just add H&M and forever 21 and there would be many happy shoppers ;)

Marty_Mcfly
Jan 15, 2013, 9:29 PM

My father said this is the best place ever. He's been to them a few times in Calgary (I think). That and Joey's Only could please him for years :P

Ayreonaut
Jan 15, 2013, 9:55 PM
If Five Guys does come to town, I sure hope it's downtown (unlikely). It's my favourite chain burger, but I don't see myself going out to some power centre to spend $13 for lunch. Then again, they're pretty big places, so I don't know where in the core one would fit.

Edit: Just realized that I'm only without a car here for this semester, so I suppose I'd drive out for a burger every once in a while.

SparkDT
Jan 16, 2013, 12:04 AM
One thing that kills me about St. John's is pizza.

We seriously have the worst pizza in Canada. Venice had a thin crust that I liked, but other than that everyone serves a box of dough, which I guess people most like as it seems be the the same recipe more or less everywhere. However, I like pizza for the ingredients and taste of sauce, if I wanted to eat a loaf of bread.. I would.I'd definitely like to see more places to get pizza around here. It's something I don't get to have very often.

J_Murphy
Jan 16, 2013, 2:53 AM
I have so many restaurants on my list of places to try here, but it's tough to find time/money as my friends are all students in their early 20s (as am I). I've only been to Shalimar, International Flavours, The Sprout, and many of the pizza and fish & chip places. I'd love to try India Gate, J Korean, Basho, and Afghan this semester as well. If I'm feeling like steak, ribs, or any traditional North American foods, really, I'd just as soon cook it myself than go out.

Afghan restaurant is very affordable. The take out is similar to what you get at International Flavours and about the same price. Well, at least it was the last time I was there which was maybe a year ago now.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 16, 2013, 12:04 PM
I want to try all of the different restaurants as well. Matty and I were doing that for a while but then we realized we were kicking ourselves right in the finances and slowed down on eating at anything classier than a Wendy's.

The only things I can honestly say I've tried to death and simply do not like, in any form, are sushi and marmalade. I even had teriyaki chicken sushi and still THAT had the same disgusting taste as all the rest. I think it must be the rice or the vinegar I hate... I can't tell. But it's something that's common in all sushi I've ever tried.

Also, forgot one: cilantro. I have whatever gene that is that makes it taste like soap. And I hate that people use it since, apparently, for people who can taste it properly, it's not that different from basil. Just use basil. Stop ruining food.

Some curries I can't eat because of the cilantro.

J.A.I.L.
Jan 16, 2013, 12:49 PM
I want to try all of the different restaurants as well. Matty and I were doing that for a while but then we realized we were kicking ourselves right in the finances and slowed down on eating at anything classier than a Wendy's.

The only things I can honestly say I've tried to death and simply do not like, in any form, are sushi and marmalade. I even had teriyaki chicken sushi and still THAT had the same disgusting taste as all the rest. I think it must be the rice or the vinegar I hate... I can't tell. But it's something that's common in all sushi I've ever tried.

Also, forgot one: cilantro. I have whatever gene that is that makes it taste like soap. And I hate that people use it since, apparently, for people who can taste it properly, it's not that different from basil. Just use basil. Stop ruining food.

Some curries I can't eat because of the cilantro.

Have to agree with you on the Cilantro! Does the same to me and no matter how small amount I can taste it right off the bat!

J_Murphy
Jan 17, 2013, 5:02 PM
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Long-Dicks-Sausage-Emporium/283285741743153

So I was still trying to complete the power hook up that the city is forcing me to install and waiting on contractors. The Long Dick's Trailer was parked on the new location which the which I have had to pay the entire years lease on even though I am unable to operate because of the elaborate power system the city is forcing me to install. Last week with the snow storm they burried my trailer in.... At the same time they told me they wanted me to move a couple of spaces down so they could tear down the old building next to my spot. This by the way was supposed to have been done months ago. I told them I couldn't move them as the snow had me blocked in. Now the city has taken it upon themselves to tow my trailer and impound it in the middle of the night! The trailer was not prepared to be moved over any distance as appliances were not secured for travel. I can only imagine the damage incurred!!! This city has systematically done everything it can to hinder and disrupt my business!!!

You have to give this guy credit for his perseverance.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 17, 2013, 5:07 PM
Good for him. He has one of the finer food carts in downtown St. John's. The city should be scrambling to have people like him serving locals and tourists.

J.A.I.L.
Jan 17, 2013, 5:14 PM
agree and now he has a huge amount of free publicity as well! I was at the Jeff dunham show last week on Wednesday and he found the cart on his way back to the hotel the night before and took a picture and put it into his show permantly!

Townie709
Jan 17, 2013, 5:31 PM
I wish that guy the best! He has amazing hot dogs! The best i've tasted here in the city (well, anywhere actually. but I'm not a worldwide hot-dog sampler..) and he really is a nice guy. If any of you guys haven't tried it, I really recommend it! Excellent food!

Ayreonaut
Jan 17, 2013, 6:53 PM
I haven't tried one yet, but I'll keep it in mind.

J_Murphy
Jan 17, 2013, 7:04 PM
I haven't tried one yet, but I'll keep it in mind.

Hopefully the city doesn't have him shut down before you get a chance. :D

MrChills
Jan 17, 2013, 7:56 PM
Funny.. I just jumped on here to post the same thing.

Is it seriously the name thing that has the city out to get him.. Or.. Is it some off the record lobbying from the folks who own Ziggy's and Winky's, as they have pretty much been the only two downtown for decades and don't want the competition?

SignalHillHiker
Jan 17, 2013, 8:08 PM
We have a town called Dildo that has a campground called Spread Eagle which is near a land formation called Dildo Head. Their mascot is Captain Dildo, their summer festival is "Dildo Days: Fun for the Whole Family!" and their traditional treat is Dildo Sticky Puddin'.

Long Dick's Sausage Emporium is fine.

PoscStudent
Jan 17, 2013, 9:30 PM
I wasn't a big fan, especially for the price. I paid nearly $10.00 for a hot dog and a bottle of water! I had a hotdog from just a regular vendor at the regatta and found it better.

Marty_Mcfly
Jan 17, 2013, 10:10 PM
What is up with the city and trying to disrupt these poor people? Remember the guys who wanted to set up the falafel cart? They never got any satisfaction from the city and just works out of the sprout after hours now.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 17, 2013, 10:12 PM
Don't be fooled by his friendly little smile. Ziggy Peelgood has friends in high places and he's not afraid to use them. :D

SparkDT
Jan 17, 2013, 10:51 PM
We have a town called Dildo that has a campground called Spread Eagle which is near a land formation called Dildo Head. Their mascot is Captain Dildo, their summer festival is "Dildo Days: Fun for the Whole Family!" and their traditional treat is Dildo Sticky Puddin'.

Long Dick's Sausage Emporium is fine.There's no way that wasn't intentional! :D

Townie709
Jan 17, 2013, 11:02 PM

Long Dick's Sausage Emporium is fine.

I heard that the high-school's mascot is named "Woody", but could have just been someone dickin' around :haha:

statbass
Jan 18, 2013, 12:34 PM
Source: The Telegram
Date: Jan 18, 2013
Author: Daniel MacEachern

Food vendor Steve Smith says he’s considering legal action after his trailer was towed by the City of St. John’s.
Smith, the owner of Long Dick’s Sausage Emporium, has been battling with Newfoundland Power and St. John’s city council since setting up last spring over his temporary location and over power regulations.
September saw council approve a permanent spot for Long Dick’s on New Gower Street, but trouble arose, said Smith, when he was asked to move a few spaces away to make it easier for an old building to be torn down, just before last week’s snowstorm hit.
Snowplows clearing the roads boxed in his trailer with a high ridge of snow, which then hardened into ice, said Smith.
“I’d gone back to them and said, ‘Look, I’d love to comply with you and move this temporarily. I’m trying to work with you. I don’t want to rock the boat,’” he told The Telegram. “But I said, ‘I can’t get out of here. The snow’s got me buried.’”
Smith said he had to use an axe and a steel shovel just to clear enough snow to open the trailer door, but says his requests for more time or assistance from the city were not heard.
A representative from public works told him the city had to treat his trailer as it would a vehicle — which it isn’t, said Smith.
“I lease the spot from the city. Sure, I’m operating there, but the city has deliberately blocked me in, the plows. I said, you’re going to have to come clear around me, it’s as simple as that. I can’t get out of there.”

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2013-01-18/article-3159163/City-tows-Long-Dick%26rsquos-food-trailer/1

J_Murphy
Jan 18, 2013, 12:37 PM
:previous:
This was on VOCM too, so at least this guy is getting some publicity. It is shameful for the city to be treating someone like this who is just trying to do something as simple as set up a food truck. I for one, would love to see more of these. If the city doesn't want them all over our streets, they should be looking into providing a space where they can collectively set up.

statbass
Jan 18, 2013, 12:43 PM
:previous:
This was on VOCM too, so at least this guy is getting some publicity. It is shameful for the city to be treating someone like this who is just trying to do something as simple as set up a food truck. I for one, would love to see more of these. If the city doesn't want them all over our streets, they should be looking into providing a space where they can collectively set up.

The city seems to be putting in a lot of effort to stymie his operation. I wonder what big wig at city hall he pissed off to deserve this treatment?

J_Murphy
Jan 18, 2013, 12:49 PM
The city seems to be putting in a lot of effort to stymie his operation. I wonder what big wig at city hall he pissed off to deserve this treatment?

I always thought it might have something to do with the name. Guaranteed there are multiple complaints coming in from people who are afraid to have their precious little children reading the word "Dick".

"Mommy, what's a long dick?" :haha:

AllBlack
Jan 19, 2013, 12:48 AM
Kevin Hart comes to mind every time I drive past his truck.

Sorry guys, just had to...

Warning: NWS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3mB6tys2TE

J.A.I.L.
Jan 21, 2013, 9:07 PM
So I just got back from buying a second fridge at the old Mexicalis. And found out from the owner of the building it's now rented out. The works are moving innandwillnbe open by the beginning of may woo hoo!!!

SignalHillHiker
Jan 21, 2013, 9:15 PM
Awesome news. I've never had and I'm excited to try!

Marty_Mcfly
Jan 21, 2013, 9:26 PM
So I just got back from buying a second fridge at the old Mexicalis. And found out from the owner of the building it's now rented out. The works are moving innandwillnbe open by the beginning of may woo hoo!!!

Is that the George Street location?

J.A.I.L.
Jan 21, 2013, 10:07 PM
Is that the George Street location?

Yes it is :)

statbass
Jan 22, 2013, 1:05 PM
Yes it is :)

Very nice! Like I mentioned before, I've eaten there a few times and really enjoyed it; it'll be a great addition to the downtown restaurant scene.

CaspinK
Jan 28, 2013, 10:43 PM
Did the Canton close? What happened to Virginia Park Plaza? It seems like a ghost town now.

J_Murphy
Jan 28, 2013, 11:23 PM
Did the Canton close? What happened to Virginia Park Plaza? It seems like a ghost town now.

Being converted to condos.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/06/10/nl-csc-office-move-610.html

CaspinK
Jan 29, 2013, 2:20 PM
Being converted to condos.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/06/10/nl-csc-office-move-610.html

So... Did the Canton reopen anywhere else? It was really the best Chinese in St. John's...

J_Murphy
Jan 29, 2013, 2:33 PM
So... Did the Canton reopen anywhere else? It was really the best Chinese in St. John's...

I honestly don't know. I have never eaten there. I had meant to, as I have heard many people say it was excellent chinese food. Maybe you can try calling the phone number they had??

CaspinK
Jan 29, 2013, 2:49 PM
I honestly don't know. I have never eaten there. I had meant to, as I have heard many people say it was excellent chinese food. Maybe you can try calling the phone number they had??

I did. And there was no answer. Sad time.

On a different note. A buddy and myself had a late lunch at The Club and is was exceptionally delish. Everything on my plate was made in house (including the bacon and hamburger bun). It was probably the freshest tasting meal I've had in St. John's to date. All around great experience.

J_Murphy
Jan 29, 2013, 4:27 PM
I did. And there was no answer. Sad time.

On a different note. A buddy and myself had a late lunch at The Club and is was exceptionally delish. Everything on my plate was made in house (including the bacon and hamburger bun). It was probably the freshest tasting meal I've had in St. John's to date. All around great experience.

I just checked the Scope website, and there are talks of it relocating to Ropewalk Lane. But, doesn't look like that has happened yet....:shrug:

SignalHillHiker
Jan 29, 2013, 4:28 PM
Ooh, I will definitely have to try The Club.

JCE
Feb 3, 2013, 10:24 PM
Kelsey Drive February 3 in front of Staples/Dollarama. New Swiss Chalet restaurant and Bank I think.

http://i.imgur.com/PPyea7Fl.jpg

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 3, 2013, 10:52 PM
Nice! I think it's about time there was more development on Kelsey, it kind of stalled there for a while. Hate to think that they tried to make another big box development and have it fail :haha:

rwspencer38
Feb 4, 2013, 3:34 PM

is that another gourmet burger place? Nothing against the place but I pass by Relish and unless its 12-1 that place seems to be completely empty. Is there enough demand for highend burger places in this town?

CaspinK
Feb 4, 2013, 4:01 PM
is that another gourmet burger place? Nothing against the place but I pass by Relish and unless its 12-1 that place seems to be completely empty. Is there enough demand for highend burger places in this town?

Relish is ok, but it isn't an exceptional place to eat (I feel it was overhyped).

The Works, most likely going into at least part of the old Mexi's location, will be interesting. That location has had a few failing restaurants now, although the new building going up nearby might help their lunch traffic. I don't remember them being opened late, but they might try to get some George St traffic...

I've been to The Works in Kingston and the place was flat out. Very busy, and very good food. To compare it to Relish... Relish is AAA Baseball and The Works is Major League...

rwspencer38
Feb 4, 2013, 4:21 PM
I don't doubt it is a better place, I just find that very specific places like that don't tend to do overly well here simply because the traffic isn't large enough to drive sales. Hope it does well but I guess we will have to see. I'm not sure what the prices are like at The Works but $15 + for a burger doesn't really cut it for a lot of people I know, even if the burger is amazing.

CaspinK
Feb 4, 2013, 5:20 PM
I don't doubt it is a better place, I just find that very specific places like that don't tend to do overly well here simply because the traffic isn't large enough to drive sales. Hope it does well but I guess we will have to see. I'm not sure what the prices are like at The Works but $15 + for a burger doesn't really cut it for a lot of people I know, even if the burger is amazing.

You know what... You're right.

I looked around online and a dinner for four at The Works (with one beer, and three sodas) was about $90... So that puts it inline with Relish.

Should be interesting to see how they do...

Arrakis
Feb 5, 2013, 3:05 PM
Just to be picky here :) The Club restaurant is not in the old Peter Belbin's space. That is now occupied by a yoga studio. The Club replaced the Simplicity Restaurant that was on the corner and not affiliated with the former Peter Belbin's.

statbass
Feb 6, 2013, 5:05 PM
This may not fully align with this thread, but I noticed a building going up next to the Ultramar on the highway in Whitbourne. There's two drive-thru windows so I'm assuming it'll be two restaurants. Anyone have any idea what's going there?

christopher_chafe
Feb 6, 2013, 5:07 PM
This may not fully align with this thread, but I noticed a building going up next to the Ultramar on the highway in Whitbourne. There's two drive-thru windows so I'm assuming it'll be two restaurants. Anyone have any idea what's going there?

Perhaps we are getting a Tim's Double Drive, they are popular on the mainland.

J_Murphy
Feb 6, 2013, 5:14 PM

Yeah, I've heard there is a Tim Horton's going there. Shitty news for Robin's.

statbass
Feb 6, 2013, 5:25 PM
Perhaps we are getting a Tim's Double Drive, they are popular on the mainland.

I should have mentioned that there seems to be two separate entrances. If it is indeed Tim Horton's, they usually partner with Wendy's... hmmm. Or I could be totally off-base here. :)

KennyPowers
Feb 10, 2013, 1:13 AM
I'm almost 100% sure that the new building in Whitbourne is the new home of Mary Brown........as for the second half of the building i have only heard a rumor of it being a SubWay.

Townie709
Feb 10, 2013, 3:25 AM
I'm almost 100% sure that the new building in Whitbourne is the new home of Mary Brown........as for the second half of the building i have only heard a rumor of it being a SubWay.

There are too many Mary Browns' around Newfoundland :haha:
Subway is good though! Welcome to the Forum, Kenny :)

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 10, 2013, 3:56 PM
The new home of Mary Browns? Did they really need a new home? Do we really need another Mary Browns? Newfoundland, being the fattest province and all, should try and relax on the fried chicken and gallons of gravy :P

KennyPowers
Feb 11, 2013, 1:36 AM
The new home of Mary Browns? Did they really need a new home? Do we really need another Mary Browns? Newfoundland, being the fattest province and all, should try and relax on the fried chicken and gallons of gravy :P

If u were to go in the current location you would say yeah they do need a new location.........but by the way you say "fattest" im guessing you dont eat that kind of food! And thanks Townie709 :cheers:

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 11, 2013, 2:48 AM
If u were to go in the current location you would say yeah they do need a new location.........but by the way you say "fattest" im guessing you dont eat that kind of food! And thanks Townie709 :cheers:

Oh trust me, I've been there plenty of times. My mother loves to stop at that particular spot for a washroom break during our travels to and from St. John's. It isn't a spectacular location, but it isn't in such dire straits that it needs a new building.

I do eat that kind of food from time to time, as do most people, I've just always found the idea of a highway Mary Browns to be a little strange :P

statbass
Feb 11, 2013, 3:51 PM
This is from the recent council agenda regarding the proposed Sandman hotel on Kenmount:

The hotel is to contain approximately two hundred (200) rooms, two (2) restaurants, meeting and banquet rooms and one (1) future free-standing restaurant with surface parking for approximately three hundred-sixty (360)
vehicles.

I wonder what these restaurants will be? I'm guessing the free-standing will be a chain restaurant.

statbass
Feb 11, 2013, 4:05 PM
I just did a Google search on Sandman hotels and their affiliated restuarants. Apparently the hotel chain is in partnership with a few restaurants and these include: CHOP Steakhouse & Bar, Denny's, and Moxie's.

Interesting to see what will come here (if approved, of course). It'd be nice to have a Moxie's.... :tup:

Here's their website:

http://www.sandmansignature.com/

Affiliated companies are listed on the bottom of the page.

Arrakis
Feb 12, 2013, 3:14 AM
Has anyone seen the retro-fitted KFC's on Elizabeth Avenue and Freshwater Road that are newly opened Mary Brown's. I do hope what they have done is only temporary until they do a full reno. They basically just ripped off the KFC letters and put Mary Brown's right over it. You can still see where the old KFC logos were on the building and the building still has KFC colours. Nothing that would draw a person in unless you love grease soaked chicken. LOL.

christopher_chafe
Feb 12, 2013, 2:55 PM
I just did a Google search on Sandman hotels and their affiliated restuarants. Apparently the hotel chain is in partnership with a few restaurants and these include: CHOP Steakhouse & Bar, Denny's, and Moxie's.

Interesting to see what will come here (if approved, of course). It'd be nice to have a Moxie's.... :tup:

Here's their website:

http://www.sandmansignature.com/

Affiliated companies are listed on the bottom of the page.

my mouth is watering at 11:24 am just reading the name MOXIES :D

rwspencer38
Feb 12, 2013, 6:30 PM
I think moxxies is slated to come here regardless. From what I've heard they have an application in to build a spot near the new theatres.

Ayreonaut
Feb 12, 2013, 8:05 PM
Moxie's has decent food (better than most of their competitors, I'd say), but the best thing about them is their look.

Here's one in Calgary (https://maps.google.ca/?ll=50.957731,-114.071388&spn=0.002261,0.006539&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=50.957707,-114.072131&panoid=bKT0WHjire9FGjMbTCVy_g&cbp=12,346.32,,0,-3.66)

And Scarborough
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/73/Moxie%27s_Classic_Grill_-_Scarborough_TC.jpg/689px-Moxie%27s_Classic_Grill_-_Scarborough_TC.jpg
Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxies)

Marty_Mcfly
Feb 12, 2013, 9:26 PM
Moxies TV ads make the place seem like a high-class Manhattan restaurant. I'm sure it isn't, but they certainly do have good advertising :tup:

KennyPowers
Feb 13, 2013, 12:54 PM
Denny's aint that great tho....rather IHOP. Only if we could be soooo lucky to get a Five Guys or a Girodanos here........one could only wish i guess!!!

CaspinK
Feb 13, 2013, 5:54 PM
if we could be soooo lucky to get a Five Guys or a Girodanos here........

Friend looked into putting a five guys here. They're not expanding anymore, supposedly.

Townie709
Feb 13, 2013, 6:04 PM
Friend looked into putting a five guys here. They're not expanding anymore, supposedly.

That sucks :(

CaspinK
Feb 14, 2013, 2:25 AM
That sucks :(

Yup. I know.

I've been personally on a kick on 'eating local' whenever possible and avoiding chains.

Also, it's out of town, but I got great service at Dustabella's Grill in Clarenville... all those terrible radio ads work.

KennyPowers
Feb 25, 2013, 4:21 PM
I passed by Mexicalli Rosa yesterday and noticed the for rent sign was still up....i thought this was where The Works was going? Anybody have any info?

MrChills
Feb 28, 2013, 4:07 AM
It would be nice if there was a Subway there, Mary Browns is rotten, as I say this I had it this morning in Beaumont, haha.. The only time I go there is when I am extremely hungover, the Big Mary with Tatters and gravy works wonders.

Nice username by the way Kenny Powers.. although shouldn't it be Kenny Fucking Powers? Haha

Architype
Feb 28, 2013, 5:47 AM
Denny's aint that great tho....rather IHOP. Only if we could be soooo lucky to get a Five Guys or a Girodanos here........one could only wish i guess!!!

Denny's might do ok in Nfld, but I noticed they are only in five provinces with nothing east of Ontario. In the west they are considered an old reliable standby, somewhat ubiquitous, not the best, but with pretty regular American style food at reasonable prices.

Ayreonaut
Feb 28, 2013, 12:52 PM
As far as breakfast chains go, Smitty's is WAY better than Denny's (meat lover's skillet :slob:). I've never been to the IHOP in Calgary because apparently it's always packed (so I'll just try it when I'm in the States next).

SignalHillHiker
Feb 28, 2013, 1:16 PM
Smitty's was our go-to greasy brunch in Winnipeg as well. I don't miss it, at all, but it was delicious at the time. :D

statbass
Feb 28, 2013, 1:27 PM
Smitty's was our go-to greasy brunch in Winnipeg as well. I don't miss it, at all, but it was delicious at the time. :D

There are two Smitty's locations here: one in Mount Pearl and the other at the Marriott downtown.

jeddy1989
Feb 28, 2013, 1:27 PM

there's a Smitty's in the Marriott on duckworth street ;) don't have to miss it :P

SignalHillHiker
Feb 28, 2013, 1:28 PM
Seriously? :haha: The world is after gettin' some small, b'ys. ;)

Ayreonaut
Feb 28, 2013, 2:47 PM
:haha: You didn't know that? It has a great view of the Narrows/harbour/Signal Hill!

SignalHillHiker
Mar 1, 2013, 12:52 PM
I genuinely didn't know. But I won't be back... if I'm going downtown for brunch, it has to be Cora's. :D Atlantic Place might be one of my least favourite buildings in the city, but that restaurant has a gorgeous view. And I love the patio right on the harbourfront.

Ayreonaut
Mar 1, 2013, 2:37 PM
Summer forum meets on the patio? ;)

I love it as well, but I really don't see the appeal of Cora's. I'll probably just get a mocha frap and banana loaf from Starbucks (or a sub or something). I used to go to Fog City and enjoy the view with a burger, but...

SignalHillHiker
Mar 1, 2013, 2:42 PM
The appeal of Cora's is:

http://i50.tinypic.com/33p3iah.jpg
http://foodology.ca/cora-breakfast-and-lunch-fruit-fruit-and-more-fruit/

Thar be snausages in them thar crepes!

Ayreonaut
Mar 1, 2013, 2:44 PM
I don't eat fruit, really (except in juice form sometimes). :P

Breakfast should be cereal or greasy meat, eggs, cheese, and mushrooms, often all mixed together.

SignalHillHiker
Mar 1, 2013, 2:46 PM
Hey, you know... we might disagree about Cora's... but you have good taste in breakfast. :D

Arrakis
Mar 1, 2013, 3:37 PM
Breakfast at Donavan's Irving is pretty sweet too. Great service there also.

Chew
Mar 3, 2013, 1:45 AM
Breakfast in St. John's, eh? IMO Bagel Cafe is the best - love that place , although I haven't been there in ages. The cramped atmosphere just works really well there, I would usually consider it a negative, but not in this case. The food is fantabulous.

Moving onto dinner-type restaurants...
Tried the new place that went in where the Casbah was recently after not being able to get a table at The Club. Anyways, Cathedral Street Bistro, as it's now called is a pretty good spot. Looks almost the same as before, but the menu is fairly different. Food was great and service good too, price a tad bit high though as far as I'm concerned. Limited menu, but it makes up for it with interesting selections like a salmon tartare app.

Townie709
Mar 3, 2013, 2:18 AM
Believe it or not, Zellars restaurant was the best place to get breakfast in town (before it closed a few months ago :( )

The food and service was always awesome, similar size, portion and quality as Irving, but so much cheaper! You could get 2 eggs, 2 slices of toast, bacon, sausage, hash browns, and a coffee for $4.99.

I was also there one day when they were offering the same breakfast for $2.99!

It was great food at a steal but sadly it's gone to make way for the new target which will probably not have a restaurant.. Oh well, good things can't last forever!

Ayreonaut
Mar 4, 2013, 2:59 AM
I've eaten at Bagel Cafe a couple times (it's become an annual Santa Claus Parade tradition), but never for breakfast (though I've been meaning to). They have good soup though!

Arrakis
Mar 4, 2013, 2:29 PM
Also heard another rumor that the Keg will be moving into the larger spot and PF Changs will go into the old Keg location? Can anyone confirm this rumour?

The balcony is fantasic, saw the plans and will be great for a summer day enjoying a steak and beverage, will be much bigger than current Keg balcony, Whole building should be around 17000 square feet I believe, The Keg is about 8. I could be mistaken but the balcony might end up being 5000 but that was something I heard back when it first went public a few years ago.

PoscStudent
Mar 4, 2013, 2:32 PM
I was going to mention that I heard something about the Keg getting more space.

Arrakis
Mar 4, 2013, 2:34 PM
Yeah I think St. John's could do with a couple of other Keg restaurants. They have proven their popularity here in town for sure whether you like them or not.

Arrakis
Mar 4, 2013, 2:36 PM
Was on PF Changs website and they currently only have one location in Canada which is in Toronto. Found this BusinessWeek article from 2011 though which states their plans to expand to many other provinces including ours.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9MFJI8O2.htm