PDA

View Full Version : Development Rumours

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Townie709
Jan 3, 2013, 3:09 AM
Feel free to discuss any possible development rumours for the St. John's area!

Townie709
Jan 3, 2013, 3:28 AM
Right now we have quite a few development rumours circulating! I'll kick it off with a list of the most exciting!

"Proposal 23": This is the most exciting rumour to ever be circulated in this city! It involves the demolition of the Bowrings Downtown Center on Water Street. Is said to include 3 buildings. A 13 story residential tower, a 6 story shopping complex and most exciting.. a 23 story office tower! It is rumoured to be made public late February, 2013.

Atlantic Place Parking Garage: in late December, 2012, the mayor mentioned exciting development(s) to the St. John's waterfront to be announced early 2013 that will revolve around "the Garage" Many have assumed that to be the Atlantic Place garage. It is rumoured that Groupe Germain will be building a hotel on top of the garage. There is not much credibility to this rumour, just speculation but that is why we call them rumours! Info to be released regarding this development Early 2013, according to the mayor

Fortis Proposal Revival: In 2010, Fortis proposed a 15 story office tower to be built adjacent to the old fortis building on water street. the proposal was withdrawn due to public outcry. The proposal rumoured to be revived in Fall 2013

New Delta Tower: A rumoured extension/addition to the Delta Hotel. not much info on this one..

Discuss!

Architype
Jan 3, 2013, 3:33 AM
Excellent idea for a thread ! ;)

Townie709
Jan 3, 2013, 4:14 AM
Haha, I thought of it a while ago, but I didn't think it would get much action. Now seeing how that's all we've talked about, now is a good time for it! Especially since we've got our own section now

J.A.I.L.
Jan 3, 2013, 11:44 AM
Right now we have quite a few development rumours circulating! I'll kick it off with a list of the most exciting!

"Proposal 23": This is the most exciting rumour to ever be circulated in this city! It involves the demolition of the Bowrings Downtown Center on Water Street. Is said to include 3 buildings. A 13 story residential tower, a 6 story shopping complex and most exciting.. a 23 story office tower! It is rumoured to be made public late February, 2013.

Atlantic Place Parking Garage: in late December, 2012, the mayor mentioned exciting development(s) to the St. John's waterfront to be announced early 2013 that will revolve around "the Garage" Many have assumed that to be the Atlantic Place garage. It is rumoured that Groupe Germain will be building a hotel on top of the garage. There is not much credibility to this rumour, just speculation but that is why we call them rumours! Info to be released regarding this development Early 2013, according to the mayor

Fortis Proposal Revival: In 2010, Fortis proposed a 15 story office tower to be built adjacent to the old fortis building on water street. the proposal was withdrawn due to public outcry. The proposal rumoured to be revived in Fall 2013

New Delta Tower: A rumoured extension/addition to the Delta Hotel. not much info on this one..

Discuss!

the rumor about the hotel on top of the parking garage is true. I have a friend who works in the engineering department at the and was let know that this is indeed true and going ahead! Amazing the red tape you can get around when the city owns the building LOL

SignalHillHiker
Jan 3, 2013, 12:25 PM
AAAHHH!!! Thank you for sharing that with us, J.A.I.L.! Fantastic news.

*Cough*

Now... it better be beautiful.

jeddy1989
Jan 3, 2013, 12:34 PM
I'm excited! and this one will definitely be hottly debated strongly by both sides .. because of the views vs the ugly garage

SignalHillHiker
Jan 3, 2013, 12:36 PM
Regarding the Fortis Proposal...

Fortis is the St. John's company. I want them to have a landmark building. If the proposal is revised and a more attractive second tower proposed... I'm willing to at least consider one in that area.

TD Place and the old Fortis Building aren't going anywhere soon. It looks a little ridiculous to have just those two buildings there. We need an odd number of towers in that cluster. Whether it's a second Fortis Tower, or something significant on the vacant lot across Job's Cove, I don't know...

One thing I will insist upon: REAL heritage fascades on Water Street. Not cheap, modern immitations (like the Bowring Downtown Centre, and the original proposal from Fortis). Keep those and I'm very open to increased height in this specific example.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 3, 2013, 12:38 PM
I'm excited! and this one will definitely be hottly debated strongly by both sides .. because of the views vs the ugly garage

I will be very disappointed if private views win out over beautification. I don't view the "DT rubber boot crowd" the way most on this forum do. They're my peeps, yo, ha... and I have faith that they're open to compromise and that doing something with that parkade will encounter far less opposition than we think. Still some, and quite passionate... but not civil unrest.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 3, 2013, 12:48 PM
It makes me angry just thinking about our city being saddled with the Bowring Downtown Centre and the Atlantic Place Parkade because of heritage or view-related opposition.

That, to me, is ridiculous.

We have to protect the entirety of our rowhouse district and every single heritage fascade in our CBD but, beyond that, we have to modernize our relatively modern eyesores.

Opposing projects for Bowring's and the parkade, to me, is as wrong as opposing a reclad of Scotia Place for the same reasons.

Just imagine that mess looking like ANYTHING else:

http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v85/p1362085528-5.jpg (http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/p41579206/e512fc698)

It'd be a HUGE step up!

And Atlantic Place wouldn't look as offensive next to something nicer.

rwspencer38
Jan 3, 2013, 2:38 PM
the rumor about the hotel on top of the parking garage is true. I have a friend who works in the engineering department at the and was let know that this is indeed true and going ahead! Amazing the red tape you can get around when the city owns the building LOL

Ya i hope it does look nice! I have faith

Townie709
Jan 3, 2013, 7:25 PM

So wait.. This is going ahead and is already approved?? Is it Groupe Germain?

jeddy1989
Jan 3, 2013, 7:46 PM
So wait.. This is going ahead and is already approved?? Is it Groupe Germain?

I think going ahead as in not just a rumor

Just to put some stuff together for us about the major posibility that it is Groupe Germain

in an article about hotels from Mar 2012

...Quebec firm interested in downtown St. John's properties
A Quebec boutique-hotel chain recently took out an ad in a St. John's newspaper looking to purchase downtown properties.

Hugo Germain, the director of development for Groupe Germain, said St. John's is a natural fit for his company.

"St. John's is a very dynamic market as far as the hotel industry is concerned. [It's] producing very good numbers especially related to resources and I think our product would do extremely well there."...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/05/14/nl-hotels-stjohns-financing-514.html

About the ATL at Halifax's airport, aparently their partners is Marco a company from St. John's (possible further partnerships bringing it all home???

Members of a local carpenters union are upset that a company is outsourcing work on a hotel under construction at Halifax Stanfield International Airport.

Le Groupe Germain, a hotel chain based in Quebec City, and its partner, Marco Group of St. John’s, N.L., are working on a $27-million, 14-storey, 169-room ALT hotel on the airport property.

But the Atlantic Canada Regional Council of Carpenters, Millwrights and Allied Workers said the partners have hired Long Valley Forming of Concord, Ont., to do the work and have brought in workers from that province.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/57262-carpenters-airport-hotel-hire-local-hire-union

St. John's Mayor Dennis O'Keefe says the city is taking the appropriate steps to enhance the downtown waterfront. O'Keefe says St. John's has a beautiful harbour that is full of history and heritage, and it will only get better once developments are made to humanize the area. O'Keefe cites the construction of new restaurants next to The Keg as an example of improving the harbour.

In the New Year, O'Keefe says, great strides will be made to reach the city's goal. He would only say that a new development based around the parking garage will go along way towards beautifying the waterfront and Water Street. He says the project is pending and an announcement will come in early 2013.

http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=29506&latest=1

Also there was an ad that I cannot find from last year that they were looking for space in Downtown and near the harbor

Townie709
Jan 3, 2013, 7:59 PM
Awesome! I assume this was the development Doc was talking about! Official news soon I hope :)

statbass
Jan 3, 2013, 8:38 PM
Awesome! I assume this was the development Doc was talking about! Official news soon I hope :)

Hmm... I wonder if there will be any mention of this in the first council meeting of 2013 this upcoming Monday? The city posts the agenda on their website every Friday prior to their Monday meeting. Keep our eyes peeled for this tomorrow.....:D

Townie709
Jan 3, 2013, 8:54 PM
Ohh, I guess that is a possibility! I will be sure to check the website tomorrow! He did say early 2013 after all :P

SignalHillHiker
Jan 3, 2013, 8:56 PM
WTF, it's Thursday? Wow...

Townie709
Jan 3, 2013, 10:03 PM
WTF, it's Thursday? Wow...

So I'm not the only one who has thought it's Monday all day?? :P

Architype
Jan 3, 2013, 10:11 PM

That one still surprises me more than anything else. Any idea how many stories it might be?

Townie709
Jan 3, 2013, 10:34 PM
That one still surprises me more than anything else. Any idea how many stories it might be?

I am wondering that too. Does anyone know how many stories they are structurally able to add? I hope it will be at least six and the design will be wonderful and reduce the prominence of Atlantic Place :D

Edit: I hope they don't take away any levels of parking for the hotel. Well, obviously the rooftop lot would be gone but hopefully no more are taken. I also hope it would be slightly taller than AP and Scotia center to offer a bit of variety and not create a huge flat-roof effect.

Marty_Mcfly
Jan 4, 2013, 2:42 AM
I am wondering that too. Does anyone know how many stories they are structurally able to add? I hope it will be at least six and the design will be wonderful and reduce the prominence of Atlantic Place :D

Edit: I hope they don't take away any levels of parking for the hotel. Well, obviously the rooftop lot would be gone but hopefully no more are taken. I also hope it would be slightly taller than AP and Scotia center to offer a bit of variety and not create a huge flat-roof effect.

I think one of the conditions upon sale of the AP garage to their current owners was that they had to keep the building a parking garage. So I would assume any parking loss would be minimal. I really do wish the same people who owned AP owned AP parking, maybe that way there'd be some joint reclad of everything. But the hotel and the reclad that will go along with the garage will definitely be a plus to the harbourfront :)

Architype
Jan 4, 2013, 2:49 AM
They would need to make provision for a passenger entrance and a loading service area for the hotel. They need an entrance with a driveway. Also, an elevator core and some kind of small ground level lobby would be necessary. Any changes to the existing garage might mean eliminating some parking and relocating some ramps etc. on lower floors in order to provide this. I have no idea how they would do it. A Water Street entrance might be nice as well. Also, I think it would mean a complete reclad of the existing garage.

Marty_Mcfly
Jan 4, 2013, 2:51 AM
It'll definitely be a challenge to the developer. Cold, open parking garage doesn't turn in to a luxury hotel very easily :P

CdnEh
Jan 4, 2013, 3:00 AM
What's so special about the Atlantic Place parking garage though?

I can't imagine it being much (if any) cheaper to build on top of and extensively modify the existing structure than it would be to just tear it down and start from scratch.

It's already what, almost 40 years old?

Townie709
Jan 4, 2013, 3:05 AM
If anyone can do it, It's Groupe Germain (if that really is the developer). They seem to do fantastic, innovative work. I can't wait for official news! For some reason I am imagining a small glass room being a check in desk on ground level with an elevator running up the side of the garage to the main lobby in the hotel portion. Haha, It probably will be nothing like that, but it's just all I am imagining, haha!

If this rumour is in fact true, it looks like 351 could be getting a little or big brother depending on the scale of the development!

Townie709
Jan 4, 2013, 3:09 AM

I can't imagine it being much (if any) cheaper to build on top of and extensively modify the existing structure than it would be to just tear it down and start from scratch.

I don't think tearing it down is an option because downtown cannot function today without that garage. 351 and metropark will not have sufficient extra parking spaces to cover the need even if they are built in time for this development's approval. People need someplace to park and a large bulk of people who work downtown rely on that garage. I can't see it being possible for them to tear down the garage without massive public outcry.

PoscStudent
Jan 4, 2013, 3:21 AM

The city is investing millions to add about 250 spaces to the 351 parking garage so I can't imagine what it would cost to tear down the AP parking garage only to resurrect a better looking one.

jeddy1989
Jan 4, 2013, 12:11 PM
They would need to make provision for a passenger entrance and a loading service area for the hotel. They need an entrance with a driveway. Also, an elevator core and some kind of small ground level lobby would be necessary. Any changes to the existing garage might mean eliminating some parking and relocating some ramps etc. on lower floors in order to provide this. I have no idea how they would do it. A Water Street entrance might be nice as well. Also, I think it would mean a complete reclad of the existing garage.

that's part of the beauty of this site .. it does not have an affect on water street .. as of now .. it only has a small allyway access (between ap and the building next to it)

unless they buy one of the buildings on waterstreet and make it like an entrance .. I dunno .. they will probably just use the current site adding a lobby on the ground floor with an elevator. Actually come to think of it that alleyway is the wheelchair access to atlantic place .. so I have no idea

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rxtjk1bm6y7r&lvl=19.38&dir=174.34&sty=b&where1=St%20John%E2%80%99s%2C%20NL&form=LMLTCC

jeddy1989
Jan 4, 2013, 12:22 PM
This is definitely going to be a veiw battle ... just look at even from the henry bell development :

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=st.+john's+NL&ll=47.564307,-52.708948&spn=0.001598,0.004128&hnear=St+John's,+Division+No.+1,+Newfoundland+and+Labrador&gl=ca&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=47.564216,-52.70897&panoid=7ouniJM5X_6Xj_tXZN0gEA&cbp=12,115.17,,0,6.2

that will be their biggest ammo and the threat of a "glass wall" that's what will get average people

SignalHillHiker
Jan 4, 2013, 12:27 PM
True, but it's only the last few feet of Southside Hills they can see anyway. And Henry Bell itself will block this view for the houses behind.

I think we can defeat the view objections.

jeddy1989
Jan 4, 2013, 12:32 PM
True, but it's only the last few feet of Southside Hills they can see anyway. And Henry Bell itself will block this view for the houses behind.

I think we can defeat the view objections.

I don't agree with the veiw argument but you have to think about what the enemy's strategy will be in battle :swordfight:

That's the only one I could show using streetveiw, however I have been trying to see which veiws and trust me there are many more, many from houses and the veiws FOR the henry bell development will be blocked (but thats a lot later they will be constructing those condos

I'm just trying to get a feel for the angle they will take

christopher_chafe
Jan 4, 2013, 3:05 PM
I don't agree with the veiw argument but you have to think about what the enemy's strategy will be in battle :swordfight:

That's the only one I could show using streetveiw, however I have been trying to see which veiws and trust me there are many more, many from houses and the veiws FOR the henry bell development will be blocked (but thats a lot later they will be constructing those condos

I'm just trying to get a feel for the angle they will take

Pretty well their stance (the against group) will be:

1. Modern....Monstrosity
2. My View My View
3. I do not want large Cranes in MY downtown.
4. Corporate Greed
5. What about the poor

jeddy1989
Jan 4, 2013, 3:56 PM
Pretty well their stance (the against group) will be:

1. Modern....Monstrosity
2. My View My View
3. I do not want large Cranes in MY downtown.
4. Corporate Greed
5. What about the poor

the what about the poor argument should be squashed because the ppl who can afford a row house with a narrows view are definitely not the poor ;) .. they should campaign to have public observation areas instead

christopher_chafe
Jan 4, 2013, 4:00 PM
the what about the poor argument should be squashed because the ppl who can afford a row house with a narrows view are definitely not the poor ;) .. they should campaign to have public observation areas instead

I agree but we all know THEY will use the affordable housing button.

A325
Jan 4, 2013, 5:17 PM
I mentioned before that it is only going to be 2-3 stories.

There is an enormous cost savings to just have to build on top of a structure like this that would probably require minimal structural upgrading (I'm sure they have looked into the condition of the garage before they started). For one the land is free and all of the site work (excavation, foundations, etc) is already done. It took 351 and Fortis almost a year to complete their site work and millions of dollars.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 4, 2013, 5:19 PM
2-3 stories... so help me God if people lose their minds over that, I will write an angry-worded post here several months from now.

That's nothing. Build it. Done.

Also, I'm excited to see what they'll do with those 2-3 stories. Such a small addition, in my mind, means it's going to have to be pretty cool and interesting just to be profitable.

PoscStudent
Jan 4, 2013, 5:32 PM
Groupe Germain are into the more high end hotel market so only having a few stories makes sense.

It would be cool if they expanded onto Atlantic Place too, but that won't happen.

CdnEh
Jan 4, 2013, 8:59 PM
I mentioned before that it is only going to be 2-3 stories.

There is an enormous cost savings to just have to build on top of a structure like this that would probably require minimal structural upgrading (I'm sure they have looked into the condition of the garage before they started). For one the land is free and all of the site work (excavation, foundations, etc) is already done. It took 351 and Fortis almost a year to complete their site work and millions of dollars.

Lets hope they did their homework in regard to the structure.

Building a new building on an already 40 year old structure seems pretty risky both strucurally and financially. I'd hate to see the lifespan of the hotel be cut short because the underlying structure has served out its useful life.

PoscStudent
Jan 4, 2013, 10:13 PM
40 years isn't really that old if the building has been properly maintained.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 5, 2013, 2:14 PM
January 5, 2013

The Bowring Downtown Centre, subject of our latest rumour:

http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v76/p1365276004-5.jpg (http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/p84113295/e51607564)

And the site of our other major rumour, the Groupe Germain hotel to be constructed atop the Atlantic Place Parkade:

A view toward the Mirador Building of the Henry-Bell Condo Complex with the Atlantic Place Parkade just beyond:

http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v77/p1365307520-5.jpg (http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/p41579206/e5160f080)

Views of the Atlantic Place Parkade from the backside of Duckworth Street:

http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v56/p1365307860-5.jpg (http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/p41579206/e5160f1d4)

http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v9/p1365307876-5.jpg (http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/p41579206/e5160f1e4)

http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v83/p1365308550-5.jpg (http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/p41579206/e5160f486)

I wish they could extend their hotel on top of all these Water Street buildings. Just imagine how beautiful it would look with all those fascades (and even the actual buildings) preserved just as they are but with a beautiful, modern, Groupe Germain hotel on top. I love it!

http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v76/p1365307740-5.jpg (http://ryancrocker.zenfolio.com/p41579206/e5160f15c)

Townie709
Jan 5, 2013, 4:17 PM
I agree with you Signal, it would be awesome if they extended the hotel off the parking garage and nestled it on top of the water street heritage buildings! That would look really cool! And Doc did say impacting both harbour drive AND water street! You never know! Well have to wait for news :)

Up until a few days ago I never realized how prominent a location Bowrings was in. It's right where the road curves and is visible from a distance down water street. Perfect place for an iconic tower :D

SignalHillHiker
Jan 5, 2013, 4:19 PM
Oh, I know. That little curve does wonders for the beauty of our downtown. 351 benefits from the other end of it. Driving west on Harbour Drive, it gradually juts farther out from the rest of the buildings until you round Bowring's and 351 is right in front of you.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 5, 2013, 4:22 PM
Also, don't forget this guy:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8316/8035427801_1a50e481c4_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/signalhillhiker/8035427801/)
MIX Condos Site (http://www.flickr.com/photos/signalhillhiker/8035427801/) by Signal Hill Hiker Photography (http://www.flickr.com/people/signalhillhiker/), on Flickr

MIX is going to REALLY stand out. And this is (I believe) the side that will be virtually ALL glass from this angle.

Townie709
Jan 5, 2013, 4:59 PM
:previous:

Very true! I can't wait to see MIX started! It's going to be very visable from water street! Just look at the last skyline picture you posted a few days ago, mix is right in the centre of everything! It will be great to see this one started and finished!

I would love to have one of the condos facing water street. Out your window you will be able to see the historic part of water street as well as thw modern hustle and bustle with scotia place and the possible massive development on the bowrings site!

jeddy1989
Jan 5, 2013, 5:11 PM
:previous:

Very true! I can't wait to see MIX started! It's going to be very visable from water street! Just look at the last skyline picture you posted a few days ago, mix is right in the centre of everything! It will be great to see this one started and finished!

I would love to have one of the condos facing water street. Out your window you will be able to see the historic part of water street as well as thw modern hustle and bustle with scotia place and the possible massive development on the bowrings site!

OMG I know! exciting! I'd love one!

SignalHillHiker
Jan 5, 2013, 5:12 PM
Maybe we can all pool together our money and get an SSP timeshare? lol

Townie709
Jan 5, 2013, 5:29 PM
Haha, okay but I call having it weekdays and weekends, 52 weeks in the year ;)

AllBlack
Jan 5, 2013, 7:38 PM
We're considering a condo in Marconi. I'll have you guys over for an SSP / Steel-toe Boot Squad BBQ. :)

AllBlack
Jan 6, 2013, 1:11 AM
Heard recently that the old Anglican parish hall on Queens Road (adjacent to the Kirk) will be sold soon. Word is that the new owner will seek to demolish the hall and develop condos on the site. Looking on Bing birds-eye view, it's a pretty large site. Not sure what the heritage value of the hall is, but I'm sure we'll find out if/when a proposal comes before council. Also I expect any new structure would not be tall, as the site is directly below the Rooms.

Townie709
Jan 6, 2013, 1:17 AM
Interesting! I'm not quite sure where it is your talking about. I have a pretty good idea from looking at a map but I'm not sure. Could you post an image of the site??

AllBlack
Jan 6, 2013, 2:07 AM
Sorry I'm not tech-savvy enough to grab a screenshot and post. It's at the top of Church Hill, has been home to a dance studio for quite a number of years.

Townie709
Jan 6, 2013, 2:12 AM
Okay gotcha! I was just making sure it wasn't the anglican cathedral :haha:

jeddy1989
Jan 6, 2013, 3:44 AM
This is it right?

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=st.+john's+NL&hl=en&ll=47.565878,-52.708315&spn=0.002052,0.005284&hnear=St+John's,+Division+No.+1,+Newfoundland+and+Labrador&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=47.565947,-52.709217&panoid=mHkc3l7hDmuDPMwnH4nILw&cbp=12,256.52,,0,0.76

http://binged.it/UrMkJ4

on that site it;s gonna have to be kick ass heritage lol it's in between all of our main heritage sites

AllBlack
Jan 6, 2013, 3:57 AM
Yep that's it. Yeah I assume since it's old and made of brick it would be considered heritage.

MrChills
Jan 6, 2013, 4:08 AM
Speaking of the Kirk, what about the gaping hole located HERE (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=St+Andrew's+Presbyterian+Church,+Queens+Road,+St.+John's,+NL,+Canada&hl=en&ll=47.565201,-52.711295&spn=0.000983,0.002642&sll=47.565109,-52.711233&sspn=0.000983,0.002642&oq=St.+Andrews,+St.+John's,+NL,+Canada&t=h&hq=St+Andrew's+Presbyterian+Church,&hnear=Queens+Rd,+St+John's,+Newfoundland+and+Labrador,+Canada&z=19) for a condo?

There used to be an old school or college or some sorts in this spot (there's a photo of it in The Big "R" I believe showing the building before the fire in the 90's), but this is a massive open area, and since it is fairly sunk below Military Rd, you could easily support a 12-15 story building (to be honest twice that height, but let's be serious it's St. John's) without affecting anyone's view. Also, given it's fairly high on the hill it would create a major impact on the skyline as viewed from the habour.

Architype
Jan 6, 2013, 5:09 AM
Heard recently that the old Anglican parish hall on Queens Road (adjacent to the Kirk) will be sold soon. Word is that the new owner will seek to demolish the hall and develop condos on the site. Looking on Bing birds-eye view, it's a pretty large site. Not sure what the heritage value of the hall is, but I'm sure we'll find out if/when a proposal comes before council. Also I expect any new structure would not be tall, as the site is directly below the Rooms.

Here's what the parish hall looked like originally, it's no longer a great heritage building.
The original tower was probably over 30 metres high. . . which in a way sets a historical precedent for height.

http://www.library.mun.ca/qeii/cns/photos/cnsphoto0202017.jpg

Source: http://www.library.mun.ca/qeii/cns/photos/geog200.php

SignalHillHiker
Jan 6, 2013, 9:00 AM
Wow. I had no idea it used to be so much bigger. And gorgeous.

AllBlack
Jan 6, 2013, 12:05 PM
It was incredible. I had no idea either. When and why did it become today's nondescript brick building?

SignalHillHiker
Jan 6, 2013, 12:53 PM
Parts of it look similar. Is today's building just a surviving chunk of the above one?

Innsertnamehere
Jan 6, 2013, 10:51 PM
threw in purdies wharf and FCP for the fun of it!

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac197/innsertnamehere/123_zpsd35d5a54.jpg

SignalHillHiker
Jan 6, 2013, 10:54 PM
Wow, thank you for doing this for us, Insertnamehere! :) We really appreciate it. It's great to see Purdy's Wharf in relation to our skyline. We really can go that high without it looking odd (as FCP does, ha! - though it would be cool. You could see all the way to Holyrood up there).

jeddy1989
Jan 6, 2013, 10:57 PM

welcome to our threads!

bahahha I think that one would have a hard time getting passed hahahah might be a little out of scale .. that would be the argument oh and .. possibly a few views blocked.. you'd probably be able to see marystown from the top though ... fun shot though

Innsertnamehere
Jan 6, 2013, 11:10 PM
having some more fun:

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac197/innsertnamehere/1234_zpscfb3e4f6.jpg

SignalHillHiker
Jan 6, 2013, 11:12 PM
It's actually not as dramatic as I thought. Don't get me wrong, it's insane... and very cool. I've always been curious what the tallest ones would look like here but don't know enough to do this myself.

But I figured it would look WAY taller than this, and the footprint would take out half our downtown.

jeddy1989
Jan 6, 2013, 11:17 PM
wild! lol .. one step at a time lets get fortis place up first hahahahaha

Innsertnamehere
Jan 6, 2013, 11:19 PM
well considering st. johns tallest building wouldn't even reach the first setback of the Burj, I think it is safe to say that it is a bit out of scale!

jeddy1989
Jan 6, 2013, 11:24 PM
well considering st. johns tallest building wouldn't even reach the first setback of the Burj, I think it is safe to say that it is a bit out of scale!

yup... sure it's out of scale in Dubai hahaha let alone in St. John's

http://www.orientals-me.com/userfiles/images/186617_burj-khalifa-dubai.jpg

http://www.orientals-me.com/projects.aspx

Townie709
Jan 7, 2013, 12:20 AM
Haha, thanks insertnamehere! I also thought the worlds tallest building would have a massive footprint but it appears I was wrong! A 23 story building similar to Purdys Wharf II would not look out of place downtown. It would be a beautiful centrepiece to our skyline!

PoscStudent
Jan 7, 2013, 1:22 AM
I'd love to go to Dubai.

Marty_Mcfly
Jan 7, 2013, 3:08 AM
You could probably spot Ireland from the top of the Burj. Solid place for a pub :cheers:

Architype
Jan 7, 2013, 3:22 AM
Great renders Insertnamehere, thanks. Purdys Wharf seems about as tall as you could go without being completely out of scale.

Parts of it look similar. Is today's building just a surviving chunk of the above one?

Yes it's the remnants of the same parish hall building. They removed everything above the second floor and changed some of the windows a very long time ago, but I don't really know why.

jeddy1989
Jan 7, 2013, 12:12 PM
Great renders Insertnamehere, thanks. Purdys Wharf seems about as tall as you could go without being completely out of scale.

Yes it's the remnants of the same parish hall building. They removed everything above the second floor and changed some of the windows a very long time ago, but I don't really know why.

that's so sad :( It looked so beautiful! maybe the developer will give a nod to it's past in the design

Here's what the parish hall looked like originally, it's no longer a great heritage building.
The original tower was probably over 30 metres high. . . which in a way sets a historical precedent for height.

http://www.library.mun.ca/qeii/cns/photos/cnsphoto0202017.jpg

Source: http://www.library.mun.ca/qeii/cns/photos/geog200.php

I absolutly LOVE how the woman walking in front of the building looks like she just walked off of the first class of the Titanic .. the photo is a great still shot in time

Arrakis
Jan 7, 2013, 3:11 PM
If I do recall, but can't be 100% positive, I think there was a fire at this location back in the late 60's when I was a kid. I think a portion of the building was saved however and they rebuilt a new structure and utilized some of the existing walls that were left standing.

that's so sad :( It looked so beautiful! maybe the developer will give a nod to it's past in the design

I absolutly LOVE how the woman walking in front of the building looks like she just walked off of the first class of the Titanic .. the photo is a great still shot in time

ajcoffey
Jan 8, 2013, 4:27 PM
Heard an interesting rumour last night. Stavanger dr Walmart is going to be a Canadian Tire and a super walmart will be built in the new Field Power center. Heard this at my daughters piano lesson so not sure the source.

J_Murphy
Jan 8, 2013, 4:30 PM
Heard an interesting rumour last night. Stavanger dr Walmart is going to be a Canadian Tire and a super walmart will be built in the new Field Power center. Heard this at my daughters piano lesson so not sure the source.

This one has been floating around for a while, I recall hearing that years ago. The fact that it is still going around probably means there is some truth to it.

PoscStudent
Jan 8, 2013, 6:06 PM

I heard that at least two years ago, so I have doubts about it.

Townie709
Jan 8, 2013, 7:16 PM
I heard the super-walmart was just supposed to be built on to the current location. But that rumour is pretty old I believe. But if it's still circulating, there may be some truth to it. But looking at the maps, there isn't a site big enough for a super walmart planned

MrChills
Jan 9, 2013, 6:37 PM

Awesome :haha:

It always kills me when you hear the heritage crowd in public meetings saying that "we" are trying to turn St. John's into a mini-Toronto.

Townie709
Jan 12, 2013, 9:17 PM
I want to hear more news :(

Everything has been very quiet and boring the past few weeks. I imagine it will pick up steam soon with all these rumors, something has to be made public/leaked. But right now tis very boring :dead:

SignalHillHiker
Jan 12, 2013, 9:27 PM
Yeah, I want to know what's up with the Atlantic Place Parkade and Bowring's ASAP.

Innsertnamehere
Jan 13, 2013, 8:20 PM
be patient. here in toronto, it usually takes over a year after the sale of the property for something beyond rumours to emerge. they will be announced, but it might still be 2-6 months away.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 16, 2013, 8:28 PM
Thanks, Innsert.

So, any news on Proposal 23 or any of the other rumours, anyone? Spill your beans. :D

Townie709
Jan 16, 2013, 8:30 PM
Believe me, I wish I had beans to spill xD

MrChills
Jan 17, 2013, 3:58 PM
I think I found a way to get extra stories in buildings downtown without blocking any ones sacred view!!

http://imgur.com/kRdGn

J_Murphy
Jan 17, 2013, 4:07 PM
I think I found a way to get extra stories in buildings downtown without blocking any ones sacred view!!

:haha: awesome. I love the caption

statbass
Jan 17, 2013, 4:09 PM

Ha ha... good one!

jeddy1989
Jan 17, 2013, 4:39 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHA awesome!

Townie709
Jan 17, 2013, 5:28 PM
Hahahaha, that might work xD

Although people will complain because of shadowing :haha:

Townie709
Jan 25, 2013, 6:20 PM
Christopher chafe, just wondering if you re still planning to share the "Proposal 23" render with us on Feb 5th? I'm looking forward to it :D

And Jeddy, you didn't happen to ask Mr. Mayor anything about the "major harbourfront development/ AP garage hotel" when you were talking to him, did you?? :haha:

I know people, I'm desperate for some news!

jeddy1989
Jan 25, 2013, 6:26 PM
Christopher chafe, just wondering if you re still planning to share the "Proposal 23" render with us on Feb 5th? I'm looking forward to it :D

And Jeddy, you didn't happen to ask Mr. Mayor anything about the "major harbourfront development/ AP garage hotel" when you were talking to him, did you?? :haha:

I haven't been speaking to Mr. Mayor however if I do you'd be the first to know

also yeah Chris whats on the G-O with the project?:???:

christopher_chafe
Jan 25, 2013, 6:29 PM

If I can get my greedy little hands on that render you damn well bet it will be put on here!

christopher_chafe
Jan 25, 2013, 6:32 PM
Awesome :haha:

It always kills me when you hear the heritage crowd in public meetings saying that "we" are trying to turn St. John's into a mini-Toronto.

I couldn't agree more!!!!!

Townie709
Jan 25, 2013, 6:38 PM
If I can get my greedy little hands on that render you damn well bet it will be put on here!

yay! We will have to have faith that you can get it for us :D

Marty_Mcfly
Jan 25, 2013, 9:24 PM
Off topic slightly, but lord Chris the crazies are after you hard on CBC comments today. I have no idea how you deal with it :haha:

christopher_chafe
Jan 25, 2013, 9:26 PM
Off topic slightly, but lord Chris the crazies are after you hard on CBC comments today. I have no idea how you deal with it :haha:

LOL what else would you expect from the usual anti-development downtown dwellers. But at least they "think" i am the "upper crust". Bahahahahahaha if they only knew how far from the truth that was!

Townie709
Jan 25, 2013, 10:57 PM
I know! There's an awful lot of negativity in those comments. At least yours and the top rated comment are positive and good! I guess the "meh" people don't really take the time to comment. The only people that comment on news articles around here seem to be angry, negative old people cooped up in their houses with nothing better to do than be scornful :haha:

christopher_chafe
Jan 25, 2013, 11:16 PM
I know! There's an awful lot of negativity in those comments. At least yours and the top rated comment are positive and good! I guess the "meh" people don't really take the time to comment. The only people that comment on news articles around here seem to be angry, negative old people cooped up in their houses with nothing better to do than be scornful :haha:

Just goes to show how narrow minded certain people are.......to think one of those commentators are running for council.

Architype
Jan 25, 2013, 11:27 PM

What was that about, care to share the subject?

Townie709
Jan 25, 2013, 11:31 PM
Actually, I think "raphater" is a second account for that idiot walter because the first thing he mentioned about development was "Oh and where is the water for these buildings coming from" Like seriously, wtf?

When I emailed walter a while ago and asked him what his vision for the downtown was, all he would say is that there isn't enough water to build anything therefore he had no vision. I even asked him to pretend this "major water issue" was fixed and what he would like to see done with the downtown. His response was that the water wasn't fixed so we cannot build anything else.. The top two things on his agenda is fixing old water pipes and getting rid of bike lanes because they are annoying and dangerous. A real winner he is (he said sarcastically)

So I think the same person was commenting twice because i can't think of anyone else who's initial reaction to development is leaky pipes

christopher_chafe
Jan 25, 2013, 11:39 PM
What was that about, care to share the subject?

I was commenting on a story on the cbc website about how the Mayor said he was open to do business with anyone.

This was my comment that started a blacklash:

"It is about time we had a mayor say this city is open to all business and not just the trinket shops that certain councilors only want to see open."