PDA

View Full Version : Municipal Election (September, 2013)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

PoscStudent
Dec 6, 2012, 10:37 PM
Mayor
Dennis O'Keefe (www.dennisokeefe.ca)
Sheilagh O'Leary (www.sheilaghformayor.ca)
Geoff Chaulk (www.geoffchaulksblog.simplesite.com)

Deputy Mayor
Ron Ellsworth (www.Ellsworth2013.com)
Jennifer McCreath (www.jennifermccreath.com)

Ward 1
Danny Breen (www.dannybreen.ca) Accalimed

Ward 2
Andrew Harvey (www.voteandrewharvey.com)
Jonathan Galgay (http://www.galgayward2.ca/)
Scott Fitzgerald (www.whynotscott.ca)

Ward 3
Bruce Tilley (www.votetilley.nlweb.ca)
Walter Harding (http://walterharding.com)
Sarah Colborne Penney (http://sarahcolbornepenney.com/)

Ward 4
Bernard Davis (http://www.bernarddavis.ca)
Lou Puddister (www.loupuddister.com)
Tracey Holmes

Ward 5
Wally Collins
Sgerwin Flight (www.sflight.ca)

Councillor At Large
Tom Baddcock
Tom Hann (www.tomhann.ca)
Sandy Hickman (www.sandyhickman.com)
Dave Lane (www.votedavelane.ca)
Lorne Loder (www.lorneloder.ca)
Steve Manual
Art Puddister (www.artpuddister.ca)
Paul Sears
Deanne Stapleton (www.DeanneStapleton.com)
Lionel West (www.westatlarge.com)
Derek Winsor (www.derekwinsor.com)
Fred Winsor (www.votefred.ca)
Cecil Whitten (www.cecilwhitten.ca)

J_Murphy
Dec 6, 2012, 10:49 PM
Wow...can't belive the election is less than a year away. I can't say I don't like Mayor O'Keefe, but I don't want to see him as mayor again. Having said that, I do like Shelaigh O'Leary, but not sure about her as mayor. I would definately like to see her take a council seat again. I would like to see Ron Ellsworth back as well and I hope Danny Breen gets re-elected. Some of these imcumbents that have been around for eons need to go in my opinion. Not that they are bad at their jobs, I just think we need some new, young and energetic people in there.

Townie709
Dec 6, 2012, 10:59 PM
From the sounds of it right now, we could be getting a few fresh faces is council with a few of our seasoned veterans finally retiring! as J said, not that they're bad at their jobs, its just time for Some new, young, energetic faces! shannie is actually retiring? Well, she most certainly had a long career! I wish her the best in retirement.

As for O'Leary vs O'Keefe, I think I would support doc again. He seems much less biased than the one-sided O'Leary. He seems open to new developments and also keen on preserving heritage. A good mix. That being said, he is not much of a personality. He seems like a very nice man, but no charisma. Ideally, i would like to see a young, fresh face, as mayor of St. John's. someone who will realize the importance of preserving heritage, but will also work to reduce urban sprawl, increase density with new developments especially in the downtown west area, and maybe even work towards amalgamation with neighboring communities. That is why, signal must run for mayor!:haha:

Hopefully, election talk will begin soon! I would love to see a greater focus on the election next year as it is an important one. This election will greatly influence the way we grow, or don't grow, over the next four years. I am hoping for a pro-development council!

SignalHillHiker
Dec 6, 2012, 11:07 PM
Between O'Keefe and O'Leary, I'm really quite torn.

O'Keefe hasn't done much to piss me off in balancing development versus heritage, which is, by far, the most important issue to me. However, I am definitely more closely aligned with Sheilagh O'Leary's views as far as that is concerned.

I do wonder what she'd be like as mayor. But... to be fair, any concerns I could bring up about her could just as easily have been said about O'Keefe before he had the chance to prove he's cool-headed and won't embarrass us.

J_Murphy
Dec 6, 2012, 11:18 PM
I really don't think Ron Ellsworth will get in. He has always stricken me as very non-intellectual.. Yes, that's the nicest way to put it! To me, he is the 'Rob Ford' of St. John's! :haha:

Haha, good one. When I see Rob Ford I think think of Homer Simpson :haha:

I just don't think Ron Ellsworth really had a chance to prove himself. He should have ran for a council seat as opposed to running for mayor after such a short time. He came off to me as being a hard-working and dedicated individual, but like I said, don't think he really had the time to show off if he could make right decisions. Having said that, I don't really know much else about the man other than his portrayl in the media so I could be totally wrong. People who know him well might totally agree or disagree with me.

Townie709
Dec 6, 2012, 11:44 PM

PoscStudent
Dec 7, 2012, 12:10 AM
I can't stand O'Leary.

I'm a big fan of Ron Ellsworth, I think he was the best candidate for mayor and wanted to bring in some change.

JHikka
Dec 7, 2012, 12:46 AM
Pulling for Hickman :P

Trevor3
Dec 7, 2012, 1:10 AM
Can't say I'm a fan of O'Leary at all. To be honest, I think she'd be terrible. The city seems to be doing well under O'Keefe, a lot of construction is taking place and things are moving forward. There really is a good balance between development and heritage right now and I think it would be best to keep going with the status quo.

PoscStudent
Dec 7, 2012, 1:31 AM
Sadly the mayor has little importance though. It's not like they can really implement their own agenda, they need council.

jeddy1989
Dec 7, 2012, 12:03 PM
edit

SignalHillHiker
Dec 7, 2012, 12:15 PM
You'd have my vote, for sure. :)

I just want to make sure we have people like Duff and O'Leary on council because the pressure for development is overpowering and we need people near the extreme end of the other side of the spectrum just to ensure a happy medium.

I believe heritage protection is not only responsible for the fact we have one of Canada's most beautiful and best-preserved old town areas today, I also give it a lot of credit for the fact we have buildings like 351 and Fortis Place as well. Heritage protection doesn't prevent developments like this, it helps encourage them.

I believe, without our strict heritage protection requirements, downtown St. John's would be FULL of Atlantic Places, full of buildings like the latest Steele hotel render. That's what developers put up in a free for all - the cheapest buildings possible. That's what they're putting up in all our "Yes, please!" suburban communities, and that's what we'd get if we bent over for development as well.

Because we don't let many modern buildings through in the downtown, developers have to put actual thought into their proposals. And I like it that way.

Copes
Dec 7, 2012, 12:17 PM
I wish I could run for Mayor. :(

Given the two options, I'm very much on the O'Keefe wagon.

jeddy1989
Dec 7, 2012, 12:24 PM
You'd have my vote, for sure. :)

I just want to make sure we have people like Duff and O'Leary on council because the pressure for development is overpowering and we need people near the extreme end of the other side of the spectrum just to ensure a happy medium.

I believe heritage protection is not only responsible for the fact we have one of Canada's most beautiful and best-preserved old town areas today, I also give it a lot of credit for the fact we have buildings like 351 and Fortis Place as well. Heritage protection doesn't prevent developments like this, it helps encourage them.

I believe, without our strict heritage protection requirements, downtown St. John's would be FULL of Atlantic Places, full of buildings like the latest Steele hotel render. That's what developers put up in a free for all - the cheapest buildings possible. That's what they're putting up in all our "Yes, please!" suburban communities, and that's what we'd get if we bent over for development as well.

Because we don't let many modern buildings through in the downtown, developers have to put actual thought into their proposals. And I like it that way.

or say how about someone who understands the balance? instead of anti vs pro ... there arn't ANY extreme pro development people even on council .. so everyone should meet in the middle :) no need for extremists

PoscStudent
Dec 7, 2012, 5:38 PM
or say how about someone who understands the balance? instead of anti vs pro ... there arn't ANY extreme pro development people even on council .. so everyone should meet in the middle :) no need for extremists

Exactly. I don't think anyone on council supports getting rid of all the heritage buildings in favour of new ones. All councillors came out against Fortis' Water Street proposal, some were just more diplomatic about it then O'Leary. I think the woman is horrible, I'd rather see Shannie on council for 30 more years then have O'Leary re-elected to any position.

With the exception of Shannie it doesn't appear that O'Leary has to many friends on council, so unless she's able to get the majority of her NDP candidates elected then we could end up with a pretty divided council with her as mayor.

My choice among councillors for mayor would be Danny Breen, every good government requires a Danny. However, I don't know if he'd have the name recognition to go for mayor, and he probably wouldn't run if O'Keefe seeks re-election and O'Leary runs against him.

statbass
Dec 7, 2012, 7:13 PM
I can't stand O'Leary.

I'm a big fan of Ron Ellsworth, I think he was the best candidate for mayor and wanted to bring in some change.

Same here - Ellsworth is a prominent businessman and is pro development. It'd be very interesting if he got in....

A325
Dec 7, 2012, 11:12 PM
I really think that we should raise the mayor's salary to attract more qualified candidates. Don't get me wrong, I like Doc, I think he is doing an OK job, but there are definitely more skilled people out there in the city. If we are going to attract the type of proven successful business elite professionals that understand development and economics a little better than our current counsel I'm sure the City will progress further than under the current and future leadership of retired teachers, firemen, and other similar vocation retirees.

I would like to see someone with the savvy as a Danny Williams type person be in charge at City Hall. But at $95k/year you are not going to draw out the Managerial Accountants, Engineers, Investors, Project Managers, etc that have the leadership skills that could take St. John's to the next level. Most government entities like Nalcor, Eastern Health, and MUN pay top salaries for the top positions so they get the most qualified individuals. And top people want reasonable wages. I don't think you can ever put up the type of money Nalcor does to get an Ed Martin or make Dean MacDonald close up business but I don't think you necessarily need that level of an "executive" mayor. You just need a tactful leader with the skills that put them in the mid $100s in the industry that is looking to take a sabbatical from there everyday job.

I would aim for a salary around $150-$160K. I don't think that thats an unreasonable increase with the operating budget the City has (i.e. we just paid $120k for a friggin wood chipper for trees that Dan the Garbage man would have carted off to the dump for $5 grand). Of course if this back-fired and O'Leary became mayor at that salary I'd be really pissed but that aside I think it's worth a discussion.

Townie709
Dec 8, 2012, 2:30 AM
to be perfectly honest I would LOVE to run for council! maybe next time around

Why not this time around? You could be that young, fresh, pro-development face we need! (Not that I've seen your face, but you get my point :haha: )

In regards to Signals comment about balance, I don't think council is balanced as it stands. Duff and O'Leary both almost religiously pro-heritage. We don't have anyone who is actively pro-development on council. It seems the only mind sets we have on council right now are either pro-heritage or neutral on the topic of development.

Like I've said many times before, i understand the need of protecting our old town and our heritage. I would hate to see tall or unfitting buildings pop up on Gower Street, Water Street or any of the "east end". But as it stands, we have plenty of councilors who will fight to protect our heritage, but none who will fight to get anything developed in the west end. What I think we need to create a true balance, is one or two councillors who will fight for development in the west end, yet also observe the need of protecting heritage without taking that to the extreme. We need someone who will point out the value of our heritage sector and use that as a driving point as to why we need to develop a vibrant, dense and yes, taller west end in order to have a truly balanced and successful city! The debate always seems so one sided. Certain people have no problem shooting down developments left, right and center, but offer no viable solutions as to where to develop. We need people who will open up both sides of the debate and say, "well, if we can't build here, than where will we build?"

I think with a good, balanced council and mayor, people will begin to realize that we cannot shoot down developments that violate heritage rules, if we have no other place to put them. If we deny everything approval, we will not grow. We need a council that will bring that point to light and hopefully create the historic east end, and modern west end that we all dream of!

That's my rant for the night!

SignalHillHiker
Dec 8, 2012, 9:45 AM
:haha:

He'll kill me for saying anything, but Jeddy's face will win him a few votes/move a few campaign signs/however you want to say it. And I agree he should run. Might not win but at least get your name out there so you have a higher profile next time.

And it appears my point about balance is wrong. Just about everyone here and those I have asked IRL said council is indifferent or hostile to development with no rabidly pro-development councillor. I got it wrong. Hate that lol.

Townie709
Dec 8, 2012, 2:49 PM
Well, no, I wasn't trying to saying that you were completely wrong. There is a pressure to develop and having strong heritage protectors on council certainly does protect heritage very well! While that does create a partial balance, I just think we need a one or two strong pro-development people to create a perfect balance.

I don't wan't you to think I was bashing your opinion, because there is a lot of truth to it! I just slightly disagree, but again, that's just my opinion! :)

SignalHillHiker
Dec 8, 2012, 3:11 PM
Oh no, not bashing - and not even you in particular. But literally no one I've asked thinks anyone on council is pro-development, just indifferent at best.

statbass
Dec 8, 2012, 3:49 PM
Oh no, not bashing - and not even you in particular. But literally no one I've asked thinks anyone on council is pro-development, just indifferent at best.

I think there's a bit of an imbalance between development and heritage on the current council with heritage coming out ahead. Don't get me wrong, I think it's important to have a strong heritage voice but I also think there's a need for more voice in the development department (Danny Breen comes to mind here). I don't think it's a matter of who's the David and Goliath of the two; what does matter is the need to grow the development camp and synergize the two schools of thought. That's when we'll see St. John's really become a unique modern/heritage-style city.

Now developing a theoretical framework to do this, apply it in a practical setting and mixing up political agendas in the bag - It's not going to be an easy task. The upcoming municipal plan can be the catalyst needed to really set the wheels in motion. Let's hope it doesn't become the status quo.

Townie709
Dec 8, 2012, 4:23 PM
Amen brother :D

The upcoming municipal plan will dictate how we will allow the west end to grow, and how we preserve the east end. I really, really, really hope the majority of the west end is rezoned for taller commercial/residential development. If we don't allow for more development in that vital area, we are basically pushing development away from downtown to say, kenmount road, and showing that we have lost the war against urban sprawl. I really hope council gets it right with this upcoming municipal plan!

Another 5 or six years without densification at the rate were growing, and I think we will have crossed the point of no return. We will forever be a sprawl city unless we begin to act now! Our future is riding on this plan and council really needs to realize this!

Marty_Mcfly
Dec 8, 2012, 5:41 PM
I'd like to see a third candidate show up and run for mayor. O'Leary would be a nightmare in charge. You could say goodbye to developing the west end of downtown, as I'm sure it would not be high on her agenda. O'Keefe hasn't done a poor job, and is a nice balance between preservation and development. Saying that, I'd like to see more of a "personality" step up and give it a shot.

I don't know much about Ellsworth, I had just moved to St. John's during the last election so I never really caught on to any campaigns or anything like that. However, a common consensus among most people I know label the guy as a "f*cking idiot". I've heard a couple off-record remarks he's made through people which would make me question his character, hence I think he'd be a dangerous gamble despite knowing he's much more pro-development and could potentially fix some of the problems the city faces.

jeddy1989
Dec 8, 2012, 6:51 PM
Why not this time around? You could be that young, fresh, pro-development face we need! (Not that I've seen your face, but you get my point :haha: )

In regards to Signals comment about balance, I don't think council is balanced as it stands. Duff and O'Leary both almost religiously pro-heritage. We don't have anyone who is actively pro-development on council. It seems the only mind sets we have on council right now are either pro-heritage or neutral on the topic of development.

Like I've said many times before, i understand the need of protecting our old town and our heritage. I would hate to see tall or unfitting buildings pop up on Gower Street, Water Street or any of the "east end". But as it stands, we have plenty of councilors who will fight to protect our heritage, but none who will fight to get anything developed in the west end. What I think we need to create a true balance, is one or two councillors who will fight for development in the west end, yet also observe the need of protecting heritage without taking that to the extreme. We need someone who will point out the value of our heritage sector and use that as a driving point as to why we need to develop a vibrant, dense and yes, taller west end in order to have a truly balanced and successful city! The debate always seems so one sided. Certain people have no problem shooting down developments left, right and center, but offer no viable solutions as to where to develop. We need people who will open up both sides of the debate and say, "well, if we can't build here, than where will we build?"

I think with a good, balanced council and mayor, people will begin to realize that we cannot shoot down developments that violate heritage rules, if we have no other place to put them. If we deny everything approval, we will not grow. We need a council that will bring that point to light and hopefully create the historic east end, and modern west end that we all dream of!

That's my rant for the night!

:haha:

He'll kill me for saying anything, but Jeddy's face will win him a few votes/move a few campaign signs/however you want to say it. And I agree he should run. Might not win but at least get your name out there so you have a higher profile next time.

AWE thanks guys! :D ... you know what I may think about it but I don't know how to campaign or that process or which position? hmm
damn it now you got me thinking hahah

edit:
do you guys know how candidates fund their campaigns?

PoscStudent
Dec 8, 2012, 7:48 PM
I don't think there are any fundraising laws, Ron Ellsworth funded most of his campaign himself in 2009 I think. You could contact the city or the Dept. of Municipal Affairs, in 2009 Municipal Affairs launched a campaign to get people involved. If you were any good at setting up a website you could easily have a donation link there. :)

Townie709
Dec 8, 2012, 8:02 PM
Run Jeddy, run!!!! That would be so great!

jeddy1989
Dec 10, 2012, 12:01 PM
:previous: I'm really concidering it!

Copes
Dec 10, 2012, 12:17 PM
If you run, I think its safe to say there'd be a few of us on here willing to help in any way that we can. Do it up buddy.

http://thescope.ca/diy/diy-how-to-run-for-city-council

SignalHillHiker
Dec 10, 2012, 12:20 PM
Definitely. I'll volunteer in any way that I can. My particular, relevant area of expertise would be copy writing (especially web copy), editing, proofreading, etc.

jeddy1989
Dec 10, 2012, 1:16 PM
wow thanks guys!

you're really making me think hard in favour of doing this .. hmmm, My only reservation would be the funds hmmm
and what seat!?

I was thinking at large, therefore it's not directly against one incumbent and my veiws are more for the city as a whole

O'Leary got in on ther first go didnt she? and now is probably gonna run for mayor

I think I'd need a lot of face posters to show that I'm young (at least in high traffic areas)

jeez guys you really got me thinking

statbass
Dec 10, 2012, 1:17 PM
I've heard a couple off-record remarks he's made through people which would make me question his character

You should have been around during the Andy Wells era.....:D.

SignalHillHiker
Dec 10, 2012, 1:23 PM
wow thanks guys!

you're really making me think hard in favour of doing this .. hmmm, My only reservation would be the funds hmmm
and what seat!?

I was thinking at large, therefore it's not directly against one incumbent and my veiws are more for the city as a whole

O'Leary got in on ther first go didnt she? and now is probably gonna run for mayor

I think I'd need a lot of face posters to show that I'm young (at least in high traffic areas)

jeez guys you really got me thinking

I would recommend running at large as well based on the assumption that running for one of several at-large seats offers a greater chance of success than running for a specific ward.

Yes, O'Leary was successful on her first attempt.

And yes, definitely emphasize your youth. You'd be surprised how much that appeals to some voters. My mother, for example, was watching a new story about that 17-year-old leading the NDP and shouted at the television: "Oh I LOVE that! That is SO NICE to see! THAT's what we need."

We can try to raise your profile a little - perhaps a letter to the editor about the importance of encouraging youth participation, or an interview about heritage versus development on Happy City's Facebook page.

You could create your own Facebook campaign page and actually interact directly with people, answer their questions even if you disagree, etc.

There's LOTS of ways and, luckily, LOTS of time.

PoscStudent
Dec 10, 2012, 1:52 PM
There will likely be two vacancies at large, as well as Debbie Hnlon's seat.

CitySlicker057
Dec 11, 2012, 3:23 AM
I agree, we definitely need some new fresh faces on council and younger representation would be a great thing. As for O'leary vs. O'keefe, I'm not sure what to think. I'm not a big fan of either one of them - I think O'Leary is a good person and a good councilor but I can't see her as mayor for some reason.

Townie709
Dec 19, 2012, 3:55 AM
I'm going to go ahead and say this is Dennis O'Keefe's last term as mayor. From reading the comments on various news stories, people are not impressed with how he, or council, have handled the events of recent days. Many are calling for Doc to be de-throned and for a younger, fresh council in 2013 (hint hint someone!)

So unless a third person steps up in the mayoral race, O'Leary is winning in the popularity race as of now. :hell:

jeddy1989
Dec 19, 2012, 12:09 PM
I'm going to go ahead and say this is Dennis O'Keefe's last term as mayor. From reading the comments on various news stories, people are not impressed with how he, or council, have handled the events of recent days. Many are calling for Doc to be de-throned and for a younger, fresh council in 2013 (hint hint someone!)

So unless a third person steps up in the mayoral race, O'Leary is winning in the popularity race as of now. :hell:

Fack .. maybe I should just run for mayor ...

can you imagine!? hahahaha

Copes
Dec 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
Fack .. maybe I should just run for mayor ...

can you imagine!? hahahaha

I've joked about doing the same amongst my own group of pals.

That being said, if I reasonably thought I could take it... I'd do it in a heartbeat. Politics has long been a goal of mine.

I say go for it if you're serious!

jeddy1989
Dec 19, 2012, 12:20 PM
ok peeps I'm nipping this one in the bud! I'm not running for mayor hahaha I want an actual shot at council (and some money left to my name afterwards)

PoscStudent
Dec 21, 2012, 7:05 PM
The Walter guy who's running in Ward 3 was just on VOCM. Him and Paddy Daley talked about the "Orange slate" of candidates who will be running, both of course have heard names of people who will be running but did not say who. Walter said he's heard of at least 4 people who will be basically running as New Democrats.

Townie709
Dec 21, 2012, 7:12 PM
I assume that is a bad thing

PoscStudent
Dec 21, 2012, 7:18 PM
I feel it is, others will have their own opinions. Paddy Daley's opinion seems to be that it will backfire and could hurt them provincially.

SignalHillHiker
Dec 21, 2012, 7:19 PM
I think it will backfire.

I'm very left-wing politically and, in theory, I would love to have people who are likely to vote NDP also running our city... but to see it explicitly out in the open, political party involvement in municipal elections, I dislike it. If the other candidates are idiots, I'll go along with it... but I will be consciously looking for alternative candidates to signal my disapproval.

Townie709
Dec 21, 2012, 7:31 PM
Lol^^^. Signal said signal!!! :haha:

Aren't NDP views on development artsy, fartsy, don't build anything over two stories thats not made out of bracelets, be historical and die a slow painful death but we'll still be short and have arts views??

SignalHillHiker
Dec 21, 2012, 7:32 PM
From a conservative viewpoint, yes.

But only to the extent conservative views on development are to bulldoze downtown to make a bigger parking lot for Atlantic Place.

PoscStudent
Dec 21, 2012, 7:33 PM
Well the NDP will be rallying behind Sheilagh O'Leary for mayor, so if they are all support her views I predict a bad four years of development.

O'Leary didn't want the former Star of the Sea Hall torn down, which has led to probably the best condo proposal in the city. She was against an extra story on that condo behind Holy Heart because the area would be to dense. She was against the Marriott Hotel pedway proposal. Though she wash't wrong to oppose the development she was ignorant towards Fortis when they proposed their Water Street expansion. The city will be doomed if she gets in and she has a majority of councillors who will support her views.

jeddy1989
Dec 21, 2012, 9:01 PM
I support the NDP nationally .. however municipal council is NO place for political parties :S

I think I'm going to have to run!

I'm going to need some serious help though!

The people will see them as the new young blah blah blah .. but they need a businessy worldly young person! ... oh god I'm scared to know what's going to happen ...

that's not fair that they will have access to party funds etc .. :S this is for a COUNCIL of individuals that have votes .. not large assemblies of 40+ people where parties work ..

SignalHillHiker
Dec 21, 2012, 9:14 PM
You definitely should run. :) And how can we help? :D

jeddy1989
Dec 21, 2012, 9:20 PM
I will need to get a team together, a campaign manager and organizers/ volunteers

I'm going to need to find someone who has more familiarity with the campaign process

jeddy1989
Dec 21, 2012, 9:23 PM
I wonder if people on here actually know me? :P

SignalHillHiker
Dec 28, 2012, 12:04 AM
I'm sure some must - but that's not a bad thing. The more people know you, the more likely they are to have an accurate idea of what you'd be like as a Councillor. And I think that would encourage them to vote for you.

As for the casual, unrestrained way we debate proposals, etc., here - our generation cares less about non-issues like Twitter curse words and the like.

Copes
Dec 28, 2012, 3:55 PM
Jeddy, when I get back to town, if you'd like to go for a beer and have a chat about it, I'd happily sit down with you. While I'm no expert, I may have some insight / knowledge that could help you.

I also have long thought about what sort of political campaign I would personally run (its the poli sci degree holder in me that is always thinking politics) so I'd happily throw some ideas at you.

And, you know, I'd be willing to be involved any way that I could.

Hit me up in the new year. If you're actually serious, I think it would be a really exciting experience.

jeddy1989
Dec 28, 2012, 3:59 PM
Jeddy, when I get back to town, if you'd like to go for a beer and have a chat about it, I'd happily sit down with you. While I'm no expert, I may have some insight / knowledge that could help you.

I also have long thought about what sort of political campaign I would personally run (its the poli sci degree holder in me that is always thinking politics) so I'd happily throw some ideas at you.

And, you know, I'd be willing to be involved any way that I could.

Hit me up in the new year. If you're actually serious, I think it would be a really exciting experience.

sure! for sure!
thanks!

christopher_chafe
Dec 29, 2012, 1:08 PM
From a conservative viewpoint, yes.

But only to the extent conservative views on development are to bulldoze downtown to make a bigger parking lot for Atlantic Place.

If that means getting our educated young people out of minimum wage jobs, sign me up for the wrecking ball!

christopher_chafe
Dec 29, 2012, 1:10 PM
Personally I feel some of the current Councillor's attitudes are changing and they see the need to build and develop for the future. I for one would absolutely LOVE to see Ron Ellsworth as DM and although I detest DOC, I would vote for him over the wicked witch of the west anyday.

christopher_chafe
Dec 29, 2012, 1:11 PM
Lol^^^. Signal said signal!!! :haha:

Aren't NDP views on development artsy, fartsy, don't build anything over two stories thats not made out of bracelets, be historical and die a slow painful death but we'll still be short and have arts views??

You took the words right out of my mouth!

PoscStudent
Dec 31, 2012, 11:25 AM
And the Anti-O'Leary candidate is...

O'Keefe Seeking Re-election

The City of St. John's is entering into an election year and already candidates are putting their names forward. Mayor Dennis O'Keefe says he will be seeking re-election in 2013. O'Keefe says he is in good health and he hopes the people will return him for another term as mayor in 2013.

O'Keefe says the city has made great strides in the past number of years and he wants to see through certain projects that are already started.

http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=29553&latest=1

SignalHillHiker
Dec 31, 2012, 7:40 PM
I hope we get to see renders of these major proposals before we vote.

I don't want a council that would approve Atlantic Place, but I also don't want a council that would turn down Fortis Place.

So torn...

AllBlack
Dec 31, 2012, 8:36 PM
Those two examples are at extreme ends of the spectrum, AP an abomination and Fortis Place a masterpiece. I would hope that any future council would 1) deny the destruction of an entire heritage block to build another AP and 2) approve another FP on vacant land in the west end of downtown.

Major developments will be proposed and will be hotly debated by those that fall in the pro and anti development camps. I look forward to the battle, and these developments will succeed or fail in the court of public opinion, with council falling in line with the people's wishes. I think a more realistic measure of future councils are the developments that fall in between. Will they 1) approve our future 351's, Star of the Sea replacements, Marriott extensions, and MIX/Marconi condos, or 2) insist that all developments be limited to two storeys and be made of bracelets (I love that line Townie709..!! :cheers: ). I think O'Leary and her fellow NDP travellers would fall in the latter category, so I'll be supporting anyone but O'Leary.

Townie709
Dec 31, 2012, 9:07 PM
Amen!!! I agree with that!! Haha, me and my autocorrects:haha:

christopher_chafe
Dec 31, 2012, 10:48 PM
Those two examples are at extreme ends of the spectrum, AP an abomination and Fortis Place a masterpiece. I would hope that any future council would 1) deny the destruction of an entire heritage block to build another AP and 2) approve another FP on vacant land in the west end of downtown.

Major developments will be proposed and will be hotly debated by those that fall in the pro and anti development camps. I look forward to the battle, and these developments will succeed or fail in the court of public opinion, with council falling in line with the people's wishes. I think a more realistic measure of future councils are the developments that fall in between. Will they 1) approve our future 351's, Star of the Sea replacements, Marriott extensions, and MIX/Marconi condos, or 2) insist that all developments be limited to two storeys and be made of bracelets (I love that line Townie709..!! :cheers: ). I think O'Leary and her fellow NDP travellers would fall in the latter category, so I'll be supporting anyone but O'Leary.

You don't have to worry about another AP being proposed....Even me (the King of Anti-Heritage) has to agree that building is ugly. The one I am talking about is lite years ahead of AP....hell its even lite years ahead of our standards here in SJ.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 2, 2013, 3:52 PM
I'm torn.

I want us to protect our heritage, and O'Leary is one of the Councillors who does that. But she is more extreme than I am. I'd have welcomed denser developments on the edges of Quidi Vidi Village, for example.

But Hanlon's obvious exasperation with O'Leary during the fence debate really made me wonder. When PoscStudent shared that tweet, I thought... well, here is someone who I know has a good head on her shoulders, who works with O'Leary and knows her better than I do, who is basically agreeing with the sentiment that O'Leary is just posturing.

Townie709
Jan 2, 2013, 3:53 PM
christopher_chafe:This is gonna start an argument but what the hell.......Does anyone here think for a second that O'Leary has a snowballs chance in hell to beat DOC. Except for Ward 2, I can not see the majority of the city voting for her. I just can't.

Sure she got a large amount of votes the last time, but that was before we saw her in action.

Unfortunately, I think she has a good chance. People see her as young and intelligent and level headed, or at least have in the past. She speaks out against things she doesn't like and some people admire her for it.

She seems to shoot down developments without thinking of solutions to the problems. She needs to find a solution to problems, not just shoot down developments.

Doc on the other hand, needs to be more vocal and take a firm stance on issues and sway the public opinion his way. O'Leary supporters like her because of her vocality. On most issues, Doc remains silent in hopes to please everyone when most would rather have a leader with guts! If doc begins to fight for his own opinions against O'Leary, and be a true leader than he will get in. If he remains silent O'Leary will win. O'Keefe can take it, he just needs to be more vocal and become a bit more of a personality. I like the guy. He has done an excellent job, and like some of our councilors, I believe, has seen the light and will only get better as time goes on. I think he deserves another term and I will be rooting for him all the way.

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 3:57 PM
I'm torn.

I want us to protect our heritage, and O'Leary is one of the Councillors who does that. But she is more extreme than I am. I'd have welcomed denser developments on the edges of Quidi Vidi Village, for example.

But Hanlon's obvious exasperation with O'Leary during the fence debate really made me wonder. When PoscStudent shared that tweet, I thought... well, here is someone who I know has a good head on her shoulders, who works with O'Leary and knows her better than I do, who is basically agreeing with the sentiment that O'Leary is just posturing.

That is why I am sad to see Debbie will not be running in September.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 2, 2013, 4:00 PM
I just wish we had a mayoral candidate who shared a real vision - or at least spoke about our city's development the way, for example, Jeddy does.

I'd vote Jeddy for mayor in a heartbeat because I have some idea how he sees our city in the future and I, for the most part, agree with it.

For Doc and O'Leary, I don't have that. I have NO idea what they envision our city being like. I know how they want to get there - one being the status quo, the other heritage protection so extreme it probably (and completely unnecessarily) equals stagnation.

Then there's the question of how much impact the mayor even has. In some respects, it's probably more influential to be a Councillor.

Townie709
Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 PM
That is why I am sad to see Debbie will not be running in September.

I believe she is tired of working with certain people on council. It's a shame she's not running because she has a really great head on her shoulders.

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 4:03 PM
Unfortunately, I think she has a good chance. People see her as young and intelligent and level headed, or at least have in the past. She speaks out against things she doesn't like and some people admire her for it.

But, I think (or at least hope) people are beginning to realize that she is an idiot. She has no problem shooting down developments and projects, but yet she offers no solutions as to how to resolve the problem. She is not a leader, and I hope people realize that before the election.

Doc on the other hand, needs to be more vocal and take a firm stance on issues and sway the public opinion his way. O'Leary supporters like her because of her vocality. On most issues, Doc remains silent in hopes to please everyone when most would rather have a leader with balls and guts! If doc begins to fight for his own opinions against O'Leary, point out her stupidity and be a true leader than he will get in. If he remains silent and lets the she-devil spew her lies everywhere without a fight, O'Leary will win. O'Keefe can take it, he just needs to be more vocal and become a bit more of a personality. I like the guy. He has done an excellent job, and like some of our councilors, I believe, has seen the light and will only get better as time goes on. I think he deserves another term and I will be rooting for him all the way.

I would not go as far to say she is stupid, as she is not. However she is one of the most narrowminded individuals (next to Shannie Duff) that has ever been elected to Council.

We are just now starting to creap out of the s**t hole and are finally starting to become more open to big business. I for one want to see that continue.

I fear if O'Leary becomes mayor and if we get a majority of council being NDP/arts related we as a city will be royally screwed.

Townie709
Jan 2, 2013, 4:05 PM
I just wish we had a mayoral candidate who shared a real vision - or at least spoke about our city's development the way, for example, Jeddy does.

I'd vote Jeddy for mayor in a heartbeat because I have some idea how he sees our city in the future and I, for the most part, agree with it.

For Doc and O'Leary, I don't have that. I have NO idea what they envision our city being like. I know how they want to get there - one being the status quo, the other heritage protection so extreme it probably (and completely unnecessarily) equals stagnation.

Then there's the question of how much impact the mayor even has. In some respects, it's probably more influential to be a Councillor.

Who knows, maybe someday Jeddy will be mayor, but I think it's best to run as a councilor first to get his name out there.

We really do need the mayoral candidates to get their views and vision out there for people to know because right now, they have said virtually nothing about the mayoral race and the future. Are there usually debates in municipal politics here? Does it involve anything more than a few cardboard signs and an interview on open line? Sorry for my ignorance, but I've never really payed close attention to municipal politics until now

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 4:05 PM

What we need is a Mayor who is pro-development WHILE at the same time protecting the 6 or so buildings are are true Heritage buildings.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 2, 2013, 4:07 PM
Just thinking out loud... or, rather, with my fingers...

For Doc: his statement about harbourfront developments obviously implies he would approve them. If these developments are as good as I hope they are, and we get to see them before the election, I'll have to vote for him.

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 4:09 PM
Just thinking out loud... or, rather, with my fingers...

For Doc: his statement about harbourfront developments obviously implies he would approve them. If these developments are as good as I hope they are, and we get to see them before the election, I'll have to vote for him.

even if they destroy part of the harbour drive and increase the height of AP & garage.

jeddy1989
Jan 2, 2013, 4:22 PM
Who knows, maybe someday Jeddy will be mayor, but I think it's best to run as a councilor first to get his name out there.

We really do need the mayoral candidates to get their views and vision out there for people to know because right now, they have said virtually nothing about the mayoral race and the future. Are there usually debates in municipal politics here? Does it involve anything more than a few cardboard signs and an interview on open line? Sorry for my ignorance, but I've never really payed close attention to municipal politics until now

Who knows what the future holds :) gotta get in there first and im gonna need a team behind me! ;)

SignalHillHiker
Jan 2, 2013, 4:22 PM
What we need is a Mayor who is pro-development WHILE at the same time protecting the 6 or so buildings are are true Heritage buildings.

I mostly disagree. I do want a mayor who is pro-development, but not at the expense of our heritage.

I'd hate to live in the type of city I imagine you want St. John's to become. It's a sacrifice to me to live in a town of just 106,000 people and I do it because what St. John's offers, what makes it unique, is so valuable to me. Our old town is why I'm here, it's why I love it.

Every time I drive down Freshwater Road and come up over the hill into the old town, I smile. That's the city I want to live in.

And it frustrates me so much that some people think we have to give that up in order to be modern. We don't. We need to grow our CBD by pushing west and north, not destroy the areas that make our city a beautiful, wonderful place to work and live for the sake of a couple of towers we could easily build elsewhere.

Old town St. John's is so unique and spectacular not because of the quality of its heritage buildings, but because of their quantity. Saving a rowhouse here and there is insufficient. We'll lose the immersive atmosphere that our beautiful old city creates.

Furthermore, even if we demolished old town completely, we'd only gain a handful of modern buildings. The Rooms alone, moved down the hill a bit, could wipe out most of our residential rowhouse district.

We need to preserve old town while growing and expanding our downtown. They're not mutually exclusive.

Knowing there are people out there who think they are is the main reason I'd be inclined to support O'Leary, just because the risk of people with those views destroying the city scares me too much.

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 4:23 PM
One thing I do want to see out of the next council is MORE festivals. We have a diverse demographic and we need to start having events/festivals that incorporate everyone. For example........ the highlight of the summer in St. John's is NOT GSF but it is the Folk Festival a festival that caters to a select group of people.

If PEI can put off the 2nd biggest festival in Atlantic Canada each summer then we in St. John's should be able to do something as well.

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 4:25 PM
I mostly disagree. I do want a mayor who is pro-development, but not at the expense of our heritage.

I'd hate to live in the type of city I imagine you want St. John's to become. It's a sacrifice to me to live in a town of just 106,000 people and I do it because what St. John's offers, what makes it unique, is so valuable to me. Our old town is why I'm here, it's why I love it.

Every time I drive down Freshwater Road and come up over the hill into the old town, I smile. That's the city I want to live in.

And it frustrates me so much that some people think we have to give that up in order to be modern. We don't. We need to grow our CBD by pushing west and north, not destroy the areas that make our city a beautiful, wonderful place to work and live for the sake of a couple of towers we could easily build elsewhere.

Old town St. John's is so unique and spectacular not because of the quality of its heritage buildings, but because of their quantity. Saving a rowhouse here and there is insufficient. We'll lose the immersive atmosphere that our beautiful old city creates.

Furthermore, even if we demolished old town completely, we'd only gain a handful of modern buildings. The Rooms alone, moved down the hill a bit, could wipe out most of our residential rowhouse district.

We need to preserve old town while growing and expanding our downtown. They're not mutually exclusive.

I am not talking about destroying the ENTIRE OLDE Town....I am talking about 3 damn streets that is all!!!! I could care less about the streets Above Harbour Drive, Water Street and Duckworth Street. They are NOT Part of the CBD. The CBD should NOT be included in the heritage map at all.

Townie709
Jan 2, 2013, 4:32 PM
I am not talking about destroying the ENTIRE OLDE Town....I am talking about 3 damn streets that is all!!!!

But those three streets really are the heart and soul of our downtown. I generally agree with modern developments in the east that don't destroy the heritage buildings but incorporate them into the tower. As long as it has a heritage facade on water street, I'm generally good with it. I would not ever support tearing down jellybean row, any of the row houses on Gower street for a modern condominium development. I don't care how tall or beautiful it is! Because if we start placing modern developments among the old we lose our sense of immersion. Now that residential neighborhoods. On water street, that is our downtown center so I would like to see parts (like the "Proposal 23" we shall call it) built, while still preserving our heritage.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 2, 2013, 4:35 PM
I agree completely with Townie709.

And I am growing more comfortable with height. Jeddy's render didn't terrify me as much as I expected, even with the tower developments in the Downtown East End.

So... 23-floors along Harbour Drive in an area that's already mostly modern... that's fine with me.

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 4:37 PM
But those three streets really are the heart and soul of our downtown. I generally agree with modern developments in the east that don't destroy the heritage buildings but incorporate them into the tower. As long as it has a heritage facade on water street, I'm generally good with it. I would not ever support tearing down jellybean row, any of the row houses on Gower street for a modern condominium development. I don't care how tall or beautiful it is! Because if we start placing modern developments among the old we lose our sense of immersion. Now that residential neighborhoods. On water street, that is our downtown center so I would like to see parts (like the "Proposal 23" we shall call it) built, while still preserving our heritage.

Nor would I when it comes to Jelly Bean Row, however when it comes to Water Street, Duckworth Street and Harbor Drive....I say build away as they are commercial streets, and those that chose to live on the cusp of commercial activity have to be aware of just that.

Townie709
Jan 2, 2013, 4:45 PM
I agree 100% for harbour drive. Build as tall as you like on it as it is only taller, modern buildings and ugly parking lots. I say build away! Water and Duckworth. Should be preserved as well as possible, but Duckworth is a great location for more condominium/apartment development in the "gritty" parts.

Townie709
Jan 2, 2013, 4:46 PM
I agree completely with Townie709.

And I am growing more comfortable with height. Jeddy's render didn't terrify me as much as I expected, even with the tower developments in the Downtown East End.

So... 23-floors along Harbour Drive in an area that's already mostly modern... that's fine with me.

Woohoo! That's one convinced! 105,999 left to go :)

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 4:47 PM

WOnt have to convince the entire city......just those that live in Ward 2.

jeddy1989
Jan 2, 2013, 4:48 PM

If we develop in the right way that number will skyrocket in our time! mark my words!

When the infrastructure is in and we have a much more urban city where young ppl like to live and the airport is upgraded etc. then halifax has a shipbuilding contract -_- .. and that only holds so much water .. when that is done and our economy is still BOOMING because of everything going on across the province .. where would people want to live? :) just give it a few more years with booming development and you'll see!

"come near your peril, Canadian wolf" hehehe

PoscStudent
Jan 2, 2013, 4:49 PM
Head to head will be close, if another candidate runs who is similar to either Doc or O'Leary then the other should win.

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 4:49 PM
If we develop in the right way that number will skyrocket in our time! mark my words!

Which hopefully means NO MORE subdivisions.

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 4:51 PM
Head to head will be close, if another candidate runs who is similar to either Doc or O'Leary then the other should win.

Shudders to think if Mark Wilson runs again

Townie709
Jan 2, 2013, 4:51 PM

I would love for that number to skyrocket! But we need a level-headed, realistic council to create a city that people will want to move to ;)

I wonder how we are doing in terms of population growth. Are there people moving here from other provinces, or is it mostly people moving in from around the bay??

Townie709
Jan 2, 2013, 4:52 PM
Shudders to think if Mark Wilson runs again

Who was mark Wilson and what was wrong with him??

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 4:53 PM

When the infrastructure is in and we have a much more urban city where young ppl like to live and the airport is upgraded etc. then halifax has a shipbuilding contract -_- .. and that only holds so much water .. when that is done and our economy is still BOOMING because of everything going on across the province .. where would people want to live? :) just give it a few more years with booming development and you'll see!

"come near your peril, Canadian wolf" hehehe

No offense to you or Signal.......but that is exactly WHY we do not need a NDP regime in Council or HOA. Now I shall run and cover my head from the firestorm I just created.

jeddy1989
Jan 2, 2013, 4:54 PM

oh dear sweet merciful Chris chafe ..

he was some "young" guy who ran for mayor last time around and he is more hippy than O'Leary .. they are probably cousins or something

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 4:54 PM

Identical views to O'Leary. Ran in the past election as a mayoral candidate.

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 4:58 PM

he was some "young" guy who ran for mayor last time around and he is more hippy than O'Leary .. they are probably cousins or something

Whats sad enough to realize that this time around the 1949 votes he got last time could possible be enough to put "She Who Shall Not Be Named" in as mayor.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 2, 2013, 5:00 PM
All I can think of while trying to make up my mind is...

0YOh-rpvjYg

:(

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 5:01 PM

Oh Dear Sweet Merciful Josh Eddy.....I said No Offense Intended.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 2, 2013, 5:02 PM
:previous:

It's a reference to Townie calling you Christ.

jeddy1989
Jan 2, 2013, 5:02 PM
Oh Dear Sweet Merciful Josh Eddy.....I said No Offense Intended.

I said that due to Townie's typo with your name :P

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 5:03 PM
All I can think of while trying to make up my mind is...

0YOh-rpvjYg

:(

Brian is completely right however.......

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 5:04 PM
:previous:

It's a reference to Townie calling you Christ.

Already like Townie709 that much more ROFL.

Townie709
Jan 2, 2013, 5:06 PM
Whats sad enough to realize that this time around the 1949 votes he got last time could possible be enough to put "She Who Shall Not Be Named" in as mayor.

Didn't he lose by a landslide though?? I thought Ron Ellsworth beat him by far.

christopher_chafe
Jan 2, 2013, 5:08 PM
Didn't he lose by a landslide though?? I thought Ron Ellsworth beat him by far.

Yes he got humilated.......however we can expect the results for Mayor to be much closer possibly.

MAYOR TOTAL
RON ELLSWORTH 36.69 12662
DENNIS O'KEEFE elected 57.66 19896
MARK WILSON 5.65 1949
TOTAL VOTES: 34507

SignalHillHiker
Jan 2, 2013, 5:13 PM
1949? He may as well have had 666 appear on his forehead for how ominous that number is to me, ha!