PDA

View Full Version : Graffiti (sanctioned or not)

someone123
Nov 30, 2012, 3:56 AM
This is the place to talk about graffiti.

Hali87
Nov 30, 2012, 3:58 AM
This is the place to talk about graffiti.

Great idea! Unfortunately I think the topic has been beaten to death. Possibly with a baseball bat.

someone123
Nov 30, 2012, 3:59 AM
Great idea! Unfortunately I think the topic has been beaten to death. Possibly with a baseball bat.

Yes, but it gives me a good excuse to delete stuff if people keep spamming the projects and construction general thread!

Hali87
Nov 30, 2012, 4:00 AM
This aint your first rodeo eh

Hali87
Nov 30, 2012, 4:03 AM
Well, I guess to move this conversation along, what ARE people's thoughts on the MacKay-Lyons Sweetapple building on Gottingen? I haven't been able to find any good pictures, but it's the one that, for a long time, seemed like the worst possible choice for an architect's office. Huge blank cinderblock wall, weird windows. Now there's a mural on that blank wall, and the building as a whole looks quite different as a result. Thoughts?

fenwick16
Nov 30, 2012, 4:17 AM
Maybe we should have a thread for murals. I am all in favour of murals, not at all for graffiti. :)

JET
Nov 30, 2012, 3:25 PM
While I'm opposed to graffiti, because it adorns private/public property and is usually not wanted by the owner (maybe some do); I can appreciate the visual presentation. About fifteen years ago before the waterfront trail was built in Dartmouth I walked the tracks from the woodside ferry to downtown Dartmouth, pretty boring overall, until i got to the warehouses by Dartmouth Cove which were covered by huge graffiti pieces including a panorama of both sides of the harbour. I had to stop and look, it was incredible. Where an owner does not want such expressions on their property, that should be respected; but I own my property and work hard to maintain it. Although i would hope that I wouldn't 'go for the bat', it's hard to sometimes know what folks will do out of frustration.
ps the MacKay-Lyons Sweetapple building is one ugly building; I have not seen the new addition to the outside