PDA

View Full Version : What are the major business Centers in Elgin and Middlesex counties?

dennis1
Dec 3, 2011, 9:43 PM
What are the major business centres outside of London and St Thomas?

manny_santos
Dec 4, 2011, 4:09 AM
What are the major business centres outside of London and St Thomas?

Strathroy would probably be the next one in line, as it is home to the one and only Strathroy Audio Video.

Aylmer is also up there.

MolsonExport
Dec 4, 2011, 3:56 PM
this is ron aitken....the competition in London knows us; you should too!!

dennis1
Dec 5, 2011, 4:53 AM
Strathroy would probably be the next one in line, as it is home to the one and only Strathroy Audio Video.

Aylmer is also up there.

Thanks.

Would Alisa Craig or Dorchester count?

K85
Dec 5, 2011, 5:31 AM
No to the above.

MolsonExport
Dec 5, 2011, 1:59 PM
You guys are forgetting the teaming cities of Ivan and Denfield and Lobo.

dennis1
Dec 5, 2011, 6:31 PM
No to the above.

Thanks!

K85
Dec 5, 2011, 9:54 PM
Elgin = Alymer, and St. Thomas, though it is separated.

Middlesex = Lucan, Strathroy, London (separated like St. Thomas), and to a small extent, Parkhill

dennis1
Dec 6, 2011, 7:17 AM
Elgin = Alymer, and St. Thomas, though it is separated.

Middlesex = Lucan, Strathroy, London (separated like St. Thomas), and to a small extent, Parkhill
One more question.

Do you consider Oxford county as part of the area?

go_leafs_go02
Dec 6, 2011, 5:25 PM
One more question.

Do you consider Oxford county as part of the area?

Nope.

Oxford likely has more in common with Brantford and K/W than London.

Just like would you consider Chatham-Kent part of the area? I would say absolutely not.

flar
Dec 6, 2011, 5:59 PM
Port Stanley is a port and maybe has some small fisheries. Strathroy and St. Thomas have a few factories. But really, outside of London the area is mostly agricultural.

north 42
Dec 6, 2011, 8:11 PM
Being from Windsor, I would have thought that Woodstock and London would be more connected to eachother, since they're relatively close together. Since Windsor -Essex is a peninsula, we are pretty seperated from the other cities in Southwestern Ontario. I'm surprised to hear that Oxford county and Woodstock are more connected to K-W and Brantford than London, I would have thought that it would have been the other way around. For us, Chatham-Kent would still be considered in our area, since it's the only municipality we border besides Detroit, which we also consider to be our area, just in another country.

dennis1
Dec 6, 2011, 9:10 PM
Being from Windsor, I would have thought that Woodstock and London would be more connected to eachother, since they're relatively close together. Since Windsor -Essex is a peninsula, we are pretty seperated from the other cities in Southwestern Ontario. I'm surprised to hear that Oxford county and Woodstock are more connected to K-W and Brantford than London, I would have thought that it would have been the other way around. For us, Chatham-Kent would still be considered in our area, since it's the only municipality we border besides Detroit, which we also consider to be our area, just in another country.

Mee too. I thought London St Thomas Woodstock would be one area.

dennis1
Dec 6, 2011, 9:11 PM
Nope.

Oxford likely has more in common with Brantford and K/W than London.

Just like would you consider Chatham-Kent part of the area? I would say absolutely not.

Port Stanley is a port and maybe has some small fisheries. Strathroy and St. Thomas have a few factories. But really, outside of London the area is mostly agricultural.

Thanks for the info.

Snark
Dec 7, 2011, 12:28 AM
Nope. Oxford likely has more in common with Brantford and K/W than London.

Incorrect.

Oxford County has virtually all higher-level administration (provincial/federal) provided out of London (i.e. property assessment, MTO).

The school board is run out of London.

The medical system is based in London.

go_leafs_go02
Dec 7, 2011, 6:05 PM
Incorrect.

Oxford County has virtually all higher-level administration (provincial/federal) provided out of London (i.e. property assessment, MTO).

The school board is run out of London.

The medical system is based in London.

OK, I will take that back. I should mention that Woodstock is actually closer to both Kitchener and Brantford (by about 5 km) than it is to London.

ssiguy
Dec 7, 2011, 9:16 PM
Outside London, Middlesex's primary centre is Strathroy. It offers the health and education services the other small towns can't. It is the regional shopping area for rural Middlesex as well as eastern Lambton county.
It is home to Cuddy's farm and has a decent sized light industrial base.

Blitz
Dec 7, 2011, 9:24 PM
Yeah, the school boards lump Elgin, Middlesex, and Oxford counties together as one. Woodstock is more connected to London than it is to Kitchener.

Brantford is more connected to Hamilton (the Hamilton newspaper is found throughout town there).

Simpseatles
Dec 7, 2011, 11:48 PM
Dorchester is a major centre to the east of London in Middlesex. We have a pop. of at least 7000, we just got a major new factory, and we may soon get some other new retail developments. A new bridge is under construction to replace the 90 year old span across the Thames, we have a decent ammount of new subdivisions, and 2 401 interchanges!

dennis1
Dec 8, 2011, 5:18 AM
http://www.tvdsb.ca/files/filesystem/2011SchoolLocationMaps.pdf

Got this map of the Thames Valley.

I think this fits everyones view.

dennis1
Dec 8, 2011, 5:25 AM
Dorchester is a major centre to the east of London in Middlesex. We have a pop. of at least 7000, we just got a major new factory, and we may soon get some other new retail developments. A new bridge is under construction to replace the 90 year old span across the Thames, we have a decent ammount of new subdivisions, and 2 401 interchanges!

Thames Centre Township right?

My mom and I will chek London out very soon.

Simpseatles
Dec 8, 2011, 11:38 PM
Thames Centre Township right?

Yes, Dorchester is part of Thames Centre, along with Thorndale (also a growing bedroom community). The total population of TC is around 14 000.

flar
Dec 10, 2011, 2:32 AM
Yeah, the school boards lump Elgin, Middlesex, and Oxford counties together as one. Woodstock is more connected to London than it is to Kitchener.

Brantford is more connected to Hamilton (the Hamilton newspaper is found throughout town there).

They're strangely close. One day back when I first moved to Dundas I took a drive on the backroads west of Dundas and saw a bunch of new houses. I followed the streets for a bit and was surprised to have "discovered" Brantford.

dennis1
Dec 10, 2011, 9:49 PM
They're strangely close. One day back when I first moved to Dundas I took a drive on the backroads west of Dundas and saw a bunch of new houses. I followed the streets for a bit and was surprised to have "discovered" Brantford.

the blur is very hard to see.

flar
Dec 10, 2011, 11:00 PM
Blur? They're separated by a 10 or 15 minute drive, that's all.

You can hike or bike on the rail trail between Dundas and Brantford too.

dennis1
Dec 11, 2011, 4:15 AM
Blur? They're separated by a 10 or 15 minute drive, that's all.

You can hike or bike on the rail trail between Dundas and Brantford too.

I mean the Line.