PDA

View Full Version : I'm a bit confused about SkyScraperpage.

That_Chris
Oct 31, 2011, 10:47 PM
Why is it that Ontario's regional section have forums for Hamilton, London, Ottawa and Waterloo Region, but not Toronto?

Snark
Nov 1, 2011, 12:13 AM
Why is it that Ontario's regional section have forums for Hamilton, London, Ottawa and Waterloo Region, but not Toronto?

Sorry, but TO didn't make the cut. Just not important enough.;)

MolsonExport
Nov 1, 2011, 1:41 AM
not enough construction in Taranna to warrant a local.

Haha. Actually, there are plenty of Toronto forums on the web. Same for Montreal (e.g., mtlurb.)

haljackey
Nov 1, 2011, 2:38 AM
There's a Toronto section on Skyscrapercity.

In addition there's a site called Urban Toronto.

Smaller cities like London warrant a sub-forum on this site because there simply isn't enough activity to warrant a standalone website. (Just check LoveLondon... nothing but tumbleweed.)

vid
Nov 1, 2011, 2:41 AM
There was a Toronto section. No one posted anything in it, so it was removed. There are other websites catering to Toronto discussions.

Waterloo used to be a full local, but its traffic slowed down and it was downgraded to a basic subforum.

Winnipeg does not have a local because their members have repeatedly voted against the concept.

Edmonton only has a subforum because that is all Edmonton members wanted; they also have their own urban issues forum, which is unaffiliated with SSP.

bolognium
Nov 1, 2011, 3:28 AM
I hate how many sections we have in our London Local. I feel like our little hole in the wall would be way more active if we took a leaf out of Edmonton's book and went with a subforum style. People don't really comment on older threads because no one is ever browsing the actual sections.

Since all we do is check the last 10 active topics list, why not cut out the middleman and and ditch the silly sections?

MolsonExport
Nov 1, 2011, 1:56 PM
^second that motion.

That_Chris
Nov 1, 2011, 2:38 PM
Agreed Bolognium,

There are way too many London sub threads, quite confusing

That_Chris
Nov 2, 2011, 5:07 PM
So, can we change it? If we wrote to the admins or just made a "please change London" Thread or something like that?

How did other city pages change their format?

bolognium
Nov 2, 2011, 6:54 PM
I'd imagine we'd have to contact an admin and maybe have a formal vote. Does anyone know which staff member we should be talking with?

It's nice to see I'm not alone in thinking this change might boost activity here. It would be nice to hear other opinions on the matter. Like do you guys think we should cut all the fat and move to a subforum (Edmonton and Waterloo Region style), or maybe just trim off 2 or 3 sections.

That_Chris
Nov 2, 2011, 7:58 PM
I'd say two sub forums would be plenty. One for actual developments (of the name/stories/hight/status type) and one for everything else. Throw some stickies at the top for transportation, development rumours and one or two others and we'd have a really streamlined and efficient forum.

K85
Nov 2, 2011, 9:45 PM
I throw my vote in there

haljackey
Nov 3, 2011, 12:18 AM
I'd assume we'd need a local moderator before a full forum happens.

Simpseatles
Nov 3, 2011, 1:21 AM
Meh, I'm fine with the way things are. Sure there's many sections (which aren't really that hard to look through), but once you dig up an old thread and post something, it's on the top 10 for at least a week or so, giving ample time for people to comment. Sure we could be a bit more streamlined, but I really don't care either way.

go_leafs_go02
Nov 3, 2011, 3:09 AM
Yeah, I like how it is now. No need to change it, and it has a fair bit of activity lately too.