PDA

View Full Version : DJC moving to restrict content availability

tworivers
Feb 17, 2011, 10:35 PM
"In our quest to help you grow your business and build your professional connections, the Daily Journal of Commerce has some exciting news to announce. Effective Feb. 22, a large portion of the DJC's content will only be available to our valued subscribers."

Um, yeah, that's very exciting.

Anyone plan to subscribe? Someone who might be willing to re-post relevant articles for the rest of us?

urbanlife
Feb 17, 2011, 11:27 PM
"In our quest to help you grow your business and build your professional connections, the Daily Journal of Commerce has some exciting news to announce. Effective Feb. 22, a large portion of the DJC's content will only be available to our valued subscribers."

Um, yeah, that's very exciting.

Anyone plan to subscribe? Someone who might be willing to re-post relevant articles for the rest of us?

When papers do this online, doesn't this just restrict the number of people visiting their site? I am guessing this will basically be like shooting themselves in the foot, like every other paper has done when they do this.

bvpcvm
Feb 18, 2011, 3:20 AM
^^^^

The WJS has apparently done ok with their paywall, but DJC is just too tiny - IMHO - for this to work. They've put up paywalls in the past and then gotten rid of them. So, assuming this isn't the end for the DJC, just wait a couple years and content will be free again.

The tone of their announcement really induces nausea.

eric cantona
Feb 18, 2011, 5:00 PM
using the word "content" in association with the DJC seems somehow oxymoronical (new word!). maybe if they hire writers and editors that have the capacity for providing clear and concise articles that actually follow all the "W's" people learn in J-school i may have an interest in subscribing. the current level of "writing" and "reporting" is just shy of abysmal. if it wasn't for the RFP/SOQ ads in the back i probably wouldn't even pick it up.

65MAX
Feb 18, 2011, 7:54 PM
LOL.... that was my thought as well. Since when does DJC have content that is in-depth? Most of their "content" is nothing more than what you would read in a badly written press release. If you want depth, you have to get it from the websites of the projects, developers and architects they're writing about.

Shilo Rune 96
Feb 20, 2011, 11:29 AM
I "unliked" them on Facebook. :cheers: