PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps is Getting Old...

Kokkei Mizu
Feb 1, 2011, 6:08 AM
I was looking at the Satellite Imagery in Google Maps the other day, and noticed that it is quite old. There are no clues that the Renaissance ever existed.

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=St+Thomas,+Elgin+County,+Ontario&ll=42.980912,-81.252168&spn=0.003179,0.004823&t=h&z=18

Also, Google Street view is getting out-dated as well, as you can see the site for the second Renaissance Tower is untouched.

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=St+Thomas,+Elgin+County,+Ontario&ll=42.980139,-81.252769&spn=0,0.004823&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=42.980137,-81.252776&panoid=QY616tzuUWjLcU0NNkYX5Q&cbp=12,20.69,,0,-3.11

Anybody else know of any other areas in London that have dramatically changed since Google Maps updated their imagery. It would be fun to share some links.

Simpseatles
Feb 1, 2011, 1:46 PM
It's not from Google Maps, but the cities website has satelite images taken from April 2010. It clearly shows the first Renaissance, but work hasn't started on the second.

Just click on the Aerial photos option for 2010, on the left menu, and zoom in (there are also options to get rid of properties, street names, and other things that get in the way).
http://webmap.london.ca/mapclient/main.asp?Script=Public&Browser=W3C&Width=1280&Referrer=http://www.london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Maps/default.htm&Provider=SVC&K10=0

It seems that they have satelite images of the city for every year since 1998, so it's interesting to see how things have progressed over the years. It's a great record.

manny_santos
Feb 1, 2011, 4:18 PM
London's satellite images are much more up-to-date than some areas. For example, the ones for Belleville are from 2002.

Whisper09
Feb 1, 2011, 5:59 PM
It's not from Google Maps, but the cities website has satelite images taken from April 2010. It clearly shows the first Renaissance, but work hasn't started on the second.

Just click on the Aerial photos option for 2010, on the left menu, and zoom in (there are also options to get rid of properties, street names, and other things that get in the way).
http://webmap.london.ca/mapclient/main.asp?Script=Public&Browser=W3C&Width=1280&Referrer=http://www.london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Maps/default.htm&Provider=SVC&K10=0

It seems that they have satelite images of the city for every year since 1998, so it's interesting to see how things have progressed over the years. It's a great record.

Wow, thanks I never knew about that..... This is pretty much what I am going to look at all day.:banana:

MrSlippery519
Feb 1, 2011, 6:20 PM
Wow, thanks I never knew about that..... This is pretty much what I am going to look at all day.:banana:

Ya they seem to update that at least yearly.

Simpseatles
Feb 1, 2011, 6:46 PM

No problem! When I found out about it I did the same thing!

K85
Feb 2, 2011, 12:06 AM
The roundabout.

haljackey
Feb 2, 2011, 12:51 AM
Google likes to update their images every 4 years.

London's air photos for Google Earth and Maps were taken on May 2, 2006. I would assume we're due to an update sometime soon.

Bear in mind that London isn't as big as other cities, and thus might take a bit longer to update as it isn't as "urgent".

MolsonExport
Feb 2, 2011, 2:38 AM
^I truly hope that the next iteration of google maps shows the horrible Swastika gardens of Gainsborough is gone. Otherwise, I just might have to find some gasoline and a match...

Whisper09
Feb 2, 2011, 5:20 PM
^
I got a hot air balloon, it might take a couple of days to get the winds right, but we shall bomb in from the air Luftwaffe style:sly:

K85
Feb 2, 2011, 8:22 PM
^:D

As a Polish person, I approve those messages!

haljackey
Jul 12, 2011, 4:19 AM
Huh. Turns out Google does in fact have more recent data for London: August 2009 to be exact.

However, the imagery is very low quality and looks like the imagery taken in 2003. It's only useful for comparing what's been changed over time. The only decent quality imagery was taken in May 2006 and that remains the default imagery for London.

To access the 2009 data, Google Maps won't cut it, you'll need Google Earth for it. Zoom to London. At the bottom left you'll see a little clock next to the imagery Date (below the scale bar). Click the year text next to it (in this case 2006) and a scroll bar will appear on the top left. Drag it all the way to the right to see the 2009 imagery.

Hope some of you find this info useful! Still waiting on some high-quality 2011 shots. :P

MolsonExport
Jul 12, 2011, 12:10 PM
Any word if the Swastika is gone? I drive right past that home on Gainsborough at least twice per week, but I cannot make out anything at street level. Saw a Toyota parked in the driveway...surely no neonazi would have what they call JapCrap (RomperStomper)?

manny_santos
Jul 12, 2011, 2:00 PM
The maps layer of Google Maps also needs some updating, especially when it comes to the driving directions. If you set the driving directions to go westward from downtown, it will tell you to turn left from Stanley Street onto Wharncliffe Road, a movement that hasn't been allowed in over 25 years.

The interface also has a tendency to put as much of a route as possible over the former Highway 2 routing through London or on Highway 4 (Richmond Street). For example, east-west cross-town trips often get directed along York/Florence Street, even if taking Oxford is shorter and (in real life) faster. I've reported that issue to Google and they've acknowledged it, but nearly a year later it hasn't been fixed.

Speaking of map errors, for a period of time on Google Maps, there was a street in Arthur, Ontario that not only does not exist, but the Streetview crew actually drove on the supposed right-of-way and photographed it! Unfortunately the images were removed very recently, but it was a hoot when I had it sent to me initially.

Simpseatles
Jul 12, 2011, 2:32 PM
The best bet for up to date satelite pics is the cities website. They take pictures every year or two during spring, so I hope they release 2011 ones soon!:)

This is one thing that London does much better than the City of Toronto. I went on their website once, hoping to get a glimpse of what all that crazy construction looks like from above, but the most up to date year they had was 2005!:rolleyes:

BIGGUY2891
Jul 12, 2011, 2:56 PM
Google Maps certainly has it's bugs, but I can live with a little bit of incorrect data. At least they haven't lost London entirely from their map. I hear this has happened to Sunrise Florida at least 3 times now.:shrug:

ForestryW
Jul 12, 2011, 5:53 PM
Streetview was out of date the minute they took the photos. Imagine how difficult it must be to keep 148,940,000 sq. km of land area up to date.

Snark
Jul 12, 2011, 9:53 PM
They aren't satellite imagery of the cities, they are aerial photography combined with photogrammetry. The satellite images are only used in rural areas that don't have aerial imagery available. To see the difference, compare the London/Middlesex/Oxford/Waterloo imagery resolution of 10cm. to to say the town of Brussles in Huron county, where the resolution is a metre.

Most aerial imagery of the cities is paid for and owned by the municipality. Google get it from the cities, but the process can be drawn out and contractual. After all, Google is making serious money from its Commercial Earth GIS service. GIS is very, very big business.

koolgiy
Jul 14, 2011, 3:07 AM
First Base Solutions to be exact :)

manny_santos
Jul 15, 2011, 2:05 AM
Most aerial imagery of the cities is paid for and owned by the municipality. Google get it from the cities, but the process can be drawn out and contractual. After all, Google is making serious money from its Commercial Earth GIS service. GIS is very, very big business.

Is some of it still also done by the provincial or federal government? A lot of the historical aerial imagery of London and Southern Ontario available at Western's Map Library was conducted by higher levels of government, such as the Ministry of Natural Resources.

haljackey
Nov 4, 2011, 5:03 PM
So I was using Google Earth the other day and noticed that K/W now has 2009 imagery.

Hopefully London's turn will come soon. You can now access B&W air photos from April 2011 on the city's website... hopefully something that up to date will replace our 2006 imagery.

go_leafs_go02
Nov 4, 2011, 5:57 PM
In other news, Google is updating Streetview within the last little while. Apparently, their vehicles have been seen driving around Hamilton within the past week or so.

Simpseatles
Nov 4, 2011, 8:04 PM
. You can now access B&W air photos from April 2011 on the city's website....

Ya, it's cool to see what the new airport terminal expansion looks like from above. Especially when compared to the 1998 imagery!:haha:

From some hicktown one room terminal, to one at least 3x larger with 4 jet bridges in only 13 years. Pretty impressive, considering London hasn't changed dramatically population-wise in that time.

MolsonExport
Nov 5, 2011, 12:40 AM
hopefully new aerials will show that the Swastika garden of Hyde Park is no more, now that the old nazi bastard is pushing daisies.

manny_santos
Nov 5, 2011, 8:05 PM
I've been playing around with Google Mapmaker and making a few adjustments for London; namely, fixing the speed limits, and changing the designation of the roads to match what the official City of London designations are (as close as possible).

Ideally, I'd like to see the following:

City of London "Arterial" = Google "Major artery"
City of London "Primary collector" = Google "Minor artery"
City of London "Secondary collector" = Google "Local road"
City of London "Local road" = Google "Local road"

Unfortunately, higher ups at Google don't seem to care how London designates its roads. I tried to designate King Street as a "major artery" and I got a bit of a tongue-lashing from a Google moderator who thinks it is a "minor artery" - after another London member posted that he agreed with my change. I'd seriously like to know how many of these moderators have ever been to Canada, let alone London, Ontario.

I know it sounds like nit-picking, but the road designations are what are used to generate driving directions. Going from west to east through the downtown I'd rather use King Street than Dundas or York - the traffic flows better, the lights are much better synchronized. There may have been a time that one of those roads was more principal to the city than King, back when they were routes for Highway 2, but those days are long gone.

haljackey
Nov 5, 2011, 8:21 PM
Highbury (south of Hamilton) is another weird example. It's a major road in Google Maps but a freeway in Bing.

Technically its a a grade-seperated expressway so it doesn't qualify for freeway status so Google is technically right. Still, I'd like to see another classification for it as well as the VMP to make look like it has some form of a road network.

manny_santos
Nov 7, 2011, 5:41 PM
Highbury (south of Hamilton) is another weird example. It's a major road in Google Maps but a freeway in Bing.

Technically its a a grade-seperated expressway so it doesn't qualify for freeway status so Google is technically right. Still, I'd like to see another classification for it as well as the VMP to make look like it has some form of a road network.

This situation has been fixed; you can thank me for that. Google does have an Expressway designation that falls between Major Arterial and Freeway.

Now here's one that will interest go_leafs_go02 - I added a bunch of roads around the Oakridge Centre area. They approved the terminal road running from Royal York Road in between Pharma Plus and Superstore, but they denied the section leading from the Beer Store out to Oxford Street.

haljackey
Nov 7, 2011, 6:42 PM
This situation has been fixed; you can thank me for that. Google does have an Expressway designation that falls between Major Arterial and Freeway.

Cool! I don't see it on Google Earth yet.. perhaps it takes time to update?

Any way you can get the VMP marked as an expressway as well? That is what the route is classified as.

manny_santos
Nov 8, 2011, 6:33 AM
Now here's one that will interest go_leafs_go02 - I added a bunch of roads around the Oakridge Centre area. They approved the terminal road running from Royal York Road in between Pharma Plus and Superstore, but they denied the section leading from the Beer Store out to Oxford Street.

I re-submitted that one and got it approved. It seems that now I've been on there a little while, some of my submissions are automatically approved.

What I'd really like to see, though, is greater guidelines towards how roads should be classified. Should County Roads be classified as Regional Highways or Major Arterials? Should roads that are part of Canada's National Highway Program such as King's Highway 10 be the only National highways, or should all provincial highways including 4 and 7 be "National"?

go_leafs_go02
Nov 8, 2011, 5:18 PM
Provincial highways should be seen as national roads, although I hate our provincial highway network filled with downloaded highways.. Gonna add some map stuff later today :)

manny_santos
Nov 8, 2011, 10:56 PM
Provincial highways should be seen as national roads, although I hate our provincial highway network filled with downloaded highways.. Gonna add some map stuff later today :)

I've submitted a few, including Highway 4 north of London (at least to Exeter), while downgrading some of those downloaded highways to Regional, such as Highway 3 between Talbotville and Leamington.

go_leafs_go02
Nov 8, 2011, 11:36 PM
I've submitted a few, including Highway 4 north of London (at least to Exeter), while downgrading some of those downloaded highways to Regional, such as Highway 3 between Talbotville and Leamington.

Sounds right to me. All remaining provincial highways should be national (few and far between now), and all other county roads and downloaded highways should be regional instead.

I'd be fine with keeping the CORE ontario highway network pre-1997 as National instead of showing what's downloaded and what's not.

haljackey
Nov 26, 2011, 8:28 PM
I found a document that should help convince that both the VMP and Highbury Avenue should be classified as expressways:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/map/images/pdf/southont/enlargements/London.pdf (more maps here http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/map/l.shtml)

Highbury is an expressway from Hamilton Road to Wilton Grove Road. It has interchanges and intersections along this route but no fronting properties.

VMP is an expressway from Oxford Street to Highway 401. It has intersections along this route (+1 interchange for the 401) but no fronting properties.
-The reason why VMP isn't classified as an expressway between Huron Street and Oxford Street isn't because it narrows to two lanes here, but the fact that it includes a level rail crossing.

Hopefully that clears some things up.

Still waiting for Google to update London's 2006 imagery. :P

manny_santos
Nov 26, 2011, 9:35 PM
Somebody named "Angela" successfully applied to change the northbound Highbury Ave from an Expressway to a Major Arterial (while leaving the southbound lanes as an Expressway). Now it looks terrible. I have re-applied for the Expressway designation.

I seriously wonder about the people who are in charge of approving and denying these changes. I tried to designate a trailer park up in Exeter and had it denied because the moderator "couldn't find" evidence that it existed. What a load of BS. I bet these moderators have never even been to Ontario.

I've also applied for the second time to have the former CN Paynes subdivision removed from Glencoe to Paynes Mills. I know the tracks still appear on Streetview, but the tracks have been gone now for two years.

haljackey
Nov 27, 2011, 4:29 PM
Somebody named "Angela" successfully applied to change the northbound Highbury Ave from an Expressway to a Major Arterial (while leaving the southbound lanes as an Expressway). Now it looks terrible. I have re-applied for the Expressway designation.

That's so weird. How can one direction of Highbury be an arterial and the other an expressway?

I am beginning to wonder the same myself with those in charge. It seems as they don't know the difference between expressway and freeway.
-Making Highbury and the VMP expressways not only accurately represents what they actually are, but will show in much farther zoom-outs of the area, making London appear larger.

Simpseatles
Nov 27, 2011, 5:58 PM
Google maps has also yet to include any of the roads in the massive new Innovation Industrial Park. The first stage has been finished for at least 3 years now! They seem to be relatively up to date on the new subdivisions, but not this important new industrial park, which needs to be on our map.

I also noticed that St. Thomas got their mini expressway coloured orange. I don't really think it deserves it, but if you wan't Highbury and VMP designated as expressways, than it should be to.

haljackey
Nov 27, 2011, 7:10 PM
Google maps has also yet to include any of the roads in the massive new Innovation Industrial Park. The first stage has been finished for at least 3 years now! They seem to be relatively up to date on the new subdivisions, but not this important new industrial park, which needs to be on our map.

New developments will be added in once Google updates the imagery for London. Right now only 'best guess' lots and roads are put in, and they need a lot of verification I'd assume.

The St. Thomas Expressway should be classified as an expressway because that's what it is. If it ever gets twinned that short section will probably qualify for freeway status.

manny_santos
Nov 28, 2011, 5:08 AM
That's so weird. How can one direction of Highbury be an arterial and the other an expressway?

I am beginning to wonder the same myself with those in charge. It seems as they don't know the difference between expressway and freeway.
-Making Highbury and the VMP expressways not only accurately represents what they actually are, but will show in much farther zoom-outs of the area, making London appear larger.

I think part of the problem is that many of us editing these maps live in London or the London area, and know the area well. The moderators likely know absolutely nothing about London or the local nuances of our transportation network.

Another problem is that something what exists on Streetview or the aerial photos is no longer what "is". It's hard to prove to a moderator in California that a railway that existed when the Streetview cameras came through has since been abandoned and ripped up.

MolsonExport
Nov 28, 2011, 4:56 PM
The space aerials are really very old. In my neighborhood, it dates from March-May 2006, which I can pinpoint from the construction of my house relative to other homes on my street/and nearby.

haljackey
Nov 28, 2011, 6:19 PM
Ok I tried to my first changes to Google Maps but received a "negative note" from two reviewers. Sour.

Manny, not sure if you know them. They were "Nancy" and "Nick C".

This is part of the reply I received. While I appreciate the lengthy comment, I don't agree with it. Terms differ from country to country.

"The thing to keep in mind here is that though Map Maker's terms for priorities sometimes overlap with official designations they are not completely synonymous. Though the MTO map may call this an expressway that doesn't necessarily mean that we consider it an expressway for our purposes... The length of road that you selected only has a ramp on on end connecting it to the freeway. We would expect to see at least a few more ramps or much more widely spaced at-grade intersections to consider this an expressway. Also, the speed, being only 80 kph for a large part, is too slow for an expressway."

"At most this could be a national highway."

Last time I checked the VMP isn't part of the National Highway system. Also all expressways in Ontario are 80-90km/h, just like the VMP.

Highbury also looks deformed right now. What is going on? :shrug:

I doubt I'll ever make any map edits again. The unwillingness to replace the old with the new is startling.

manny_santos
Nov 28, 2011, 6:27 PM
Ok I tried to my first changes to Google Maps but received a "negative note" from two reviewers. Sour.

Manny, not sure if you know them. They were "Nancy" and "Nick C".

This is part of the reply I received. While I appreciate the lengthy comment, I don't agree with it. Terms differ from country to country.

"The thing to keep in mind here is that though Map Maker's terms for priorities sometimes overlap with official designations they are not completely synonymous. Though the MTO map may call this an expressway that doesn't necessarily mean that we consider it an expressway for our purposes... The length of road that you selected only has a ramp on on end connecting it to the freeway. We would expect to see at least a few more ramps or much more widely spaced at-grade intersections to consider this an expressway. Also, the speed, being only 80 kph for a large part, is too slow for an expressway."

"At most this could be a national highway."

Last time I checked the VMP isn't part of the National Highway system. Also all expressways in Ontario are 80-90km/h, just like the VMP.

I doubt I'll ever make any map edits again. The unwillingness to replace the old with the new is startling.

Actually, the VMP is part of the National Highway System, believe it or not. I only know this because someone I know at the MTO told me.

I really wish people who know absolutely nothing about the Ontario road system and London's road network would butt out and let those of us who know how things work in this province edit the maps in the way that works for Ontario. The City of London considers it an expressway, the MTO considers it an expressway, what more do they want? Just because things are done one way in California or Europe doesn't mean the definitions are the same in Ontario. I know some parts of Mexico well but I'm not telling the locals there how their maps should look, unless there is a blatant error. Most of the two-lane national highways there are marked in orange, but who am I to say those are not expressways in their system?

vid
Nov 29, 2011, 12:46 AM
It's hard to prove to a moderator in California that a railway that existed when the Streetview cameras came through has since been abandoned and ripped up.

Take a photo of it and show them. Try harder to explain the situation to them. There is an abandoned rail line in Thunder Bay that appears on Google Maps as well and I doubt they'll be removing it any time soon. It took them a couple years to start showing our new highway.

I'm kind of surprised at how stubborn they're being with changes to the maps. They seemed like a more dynamic company.

Wharn
Nov 29, 2011, 6:12 AM

The problem is the VMP does not have a consistent 80-90 km/h speed limit, in some places it is really just a glorified arterial, and along its entire length it is not grade-separated. I think it should definitely be labeled as an arterial and nothing else. Highbury vexes me though... why is one side controlled access and the other is not? How much sense does that make? What roads are there in the world that have such a characteristic?

new age
Nov 29, 2011, 9:27 AM
I am sure there are fewer deaths at some interchanges now that they're not Clover Leafs, but I would like to see research into new left turn accidents. Did Ontario spend billions for marginal improvements in safety at the cost of efficiency?

Would it have been better to leave lower risk ones as are, and invest in a few full free flowing interchanges?

Some other provinces I have driven in have death traps for freeways Highway 1 in Vancouver is the worst.

manny_santos
Nov 29, 2011, 6:36 PM
The problem is the VMP does not have a consistent 80-90 km/h speed limit, in some places it is really just a glorified arterial, and along its entire length it is not grade-separated. I think it should definitely be labeled as an arterial and nothing else. Highbury vexes me though... why is one side controlled access and the other is not? How much sense does that make? What roads are there in the world that have such a characteristic?

Originally Highbury was a Major Arterial in its entirety. I changed the expressway portion, both directions, to be an Expressway, and had it approved. It stayed that way for about a week. Then suddenly it changed to what is there now. As it turned out, someone named Angela changed the northbound lanes only, put down no comment, and someone else approved it for her.

I have submitted to change it back to the way it was.

Update: As of this evening, it has reverted back to a Major Arterial. I have reviewed the edit and I basically said that I don't know how they define an expressway in the United States, but by our standards here in Ontario it is an expressway. Everyone I know here calls it an expressway. It was even built with the intent of being part of a London expressway network.

Heck, the MapArt maps show it as a freeway.

If Highbury can't be an expressway, then I believe Allen Road in Toronto can't be an expressway either. I mean, it ends at an at-grade intersection!

haljackey
Dec 11, 2013, 1:27 PM
Got an email this morning stating that the Google Maps imagery for London has been updated.

Not sure when it was taken (Google Earth can tell you) Ren II looks like it's topped out so maybe it was from summer this year?

Link: https://followyourworld.appspot.com/poi/?key=ahVzfmZvbGxvd3lvdXJ3b3JsZC1ocmRyFwsSD1BvaW50T2ZJbnRlcmVzdBijr04M&hl=en

Or https://maps.google.ca/

MolsonExport
Dec 11, 2013, 10:14 PM
they still have the Hyde Park Swastika on Google Earth shots. I shake with rage whenever I see it. How can it still be there?

manny_santos
Dec 11, 2013, 10:35 PM
Got an email this morning stating that the Google Maps imagery for London has been updated.

Not sure when it was taken (Google Earth can tell you) Ren II looks like it's topped out so maybe it was from summer this year?

Link: https://followyourworld.appspot.com/poi/?key=ahVzfmZvbGxvd3lvdXJ3b3JsZC1ocmRyFwsSD1BvaW50T2ZJbnRlcmVzdBijr04M&hl=en

Or https://maps.google.ca/

St. Thomas and at least part of Exeter, for the first time, have high-resolution imagery.

Windsor's imagery is going on five years out of date. The last imagery was taken shortly before the first demolition projects associated with the Herb Grey Parkway were carried out.

haljackey
Dec 12, 2013, 12:10 AM
Imagery date: September 27, 2013 (according to Google Earth).

Pimpmasterdac
Dec 12, 2013, 1:44 AM
St. Thomas has the biggest difference, like coming out of the stone ages looking at their new imagery. Don't see Alma College burning anymore..

It's interesting seeing St. Thomas. Can see the scar of former railways and useless over/underpasses have on the town. Although in contrast the new train station and track can be seen on the imagery, but don't see anything on the street view

http://goo.gl/maps/CbUc8

manny_santos
Dec 12, 2013, 2:53 AM
St. Thomas has the biggest difference, like coming out of the stone ages looking at their new imagery. Don't see Alma College burning anymore..

It's interesting seeing St. Thomas. Can see the scar of former railways and useless over/underpasses have on the town. Although in contrast the new train station and track can be seen on the imagery, but don't see anything on the street view

http://goo.gl/maps/CbUc8

I noticed that as well, it's the first time we see a true up-to-date representation of the railways that are left in St. Thomas. Even though railways aren't as big a part of the city anymore, it's interesting to see what's left and what has been ripped up. It looks like some rail cars are still sitting in the old CASO yard, cut off and isolated from the rest of Canada's rail network.

haljackey
Dec 12, 2013, 3:51 AM
I was wondering why Western was so busy... Homecoming weekend. Check out TD Waterhouse Stadium.

Bsanders
Mar 16, 2019, 2:03 PM
Actually, the VMP is part of the National Highway System, believe it or not. I only know this because someone I know at the MTO told me.

I really wish people who know absolutely nothing about the Ontario road system and London's road network would butt out and let those of us who know how things work in this province edit the maps in the way that works for Ontario. The City of London considers it an expressway, the MTO considers it an expressway, what more do they want? Just because things are done one way in California or Europe doesn't mean the definitions are the same in Ontario. I know some parts of Mexico well but I'm not telling the locals there how their maps should look, unless there is a blatant error. Most of the two-lane national highways there are marked in orange, but who am I to say those are not expressways in their system?

the city of London knows nothing about traffic control and has never had a vision to bring us into this century in any sort of civil engineering. it's pathetic actually

Dupcheck
Mar 21, 2019, 3:59 PM
Traffic control in London is run by monkeys with levers. Uuu shiny lights.

GlenH
Jul 17, 2019, 7:51 PM
Umm, I'm pretty sure that Google updates it's maps every year or so. I've seen their cars with cameras driving around a number of cities before. I'm sure the satellite images get updated as well just maybe not as often but it most likely takes some times to do so..
-Glen https://www.handymanreginask.com/ (https://www.handymanreginask.com/)

Djeffery
Jul 17, 2019, 10:09 PM
Umm, I'm pretty sure that Google updates it's maps every year or so. I've seen their cars with cameras driving around a number of cities before. I'm sure the satellite images get updated as well just maybe not as often but it most likely takes some times to do so..
-Glen https://www.handymanreginask.com/ (https://www.handymanreginask.com/)

The date stamp on Google streetview of the front of my house is 3 years old and my brother in law's place around the corner is 5 years old.

MrSlippery519
Jul 18, 2019, 2:34 PM
The date stamp on Google streetview of the front of my house is 3 years old and my brother in law's place around the corner is 5 years old.

Yep June 2014 is the last streetview of my house, and can confirm it is that old as the picture has a tree which was removed that summer. Some other areas in our neighborhood have been updated to 2018 however.

That said the satellite view has been updated somewhat recently (you may need to clear your cache)

Dupcheck
Jul 18, 2019, 4:48 PM
Google maps is not as good as it used to be. Even for navigation it can put you to risk. Driving in Hamilton the other day, on the just finished highway there, told us to go back and get off the highway all around and get back later. It did not recognize the road was freshly finished and so many other cars were already driving on it for days.

manny_santos
Jul 18, 2019, 8:06 PM
Google maps is not as good as it used to be. Even for navigation it can put you to risk. Driving in Hamilton the other day, on the just finished highway there, told us to go back and get off the highway all around and get back later. It did not recognize the road was freshly finished and so many other cars were already driving on it for days.

Since they sunset MapMaker it does seem to take longer for updates to be made. As recently as last year I submitted a correction to a street in Toronto that had incorrect turn restrictions, and it took them almost 6 months to fix it.