PDA

View Full Version : London Meet Up

haljackey
Jan 18, 2011, 3:22 AM
Hey everyone, want to meet up some time for a few beers?

I talked with someone on the Kitchener-Waterloo front and apparently a bunch of them are interested in coming to London for a get-together sometime. I guess they have meet-ups there all the time lol.

Anyone interested? Where / when would be the best time to organize this? I'm thinking somewhere on Richmond Row on a Weekend evening.

Kokkei Mizu
Jan 18, 2011, 4:14 AM
Does it have to involve alcohol? :yuck:

haljackey
Jan 18, 2011, 4:19 AM
Does it have to involve alcohol? :yuck:

It doesn't have to. Just thinking a bar / pub would be a good place to meet. They serve things besides booze there you know :P.

manny_santos
Jan 18, 2011, 12:45 PM
I say we drink some Molson Export.

Highinthesky
Jan 18, 2011, 5:32 PM
I bet Molson Export doesn't taste as good as he sounds

MolsonExport
Jan 19, 2011, 3:14 PM
haha!

I don't drink Molson Export (anymore, although I won't refuse one); it is in reference to my status as a Montrealer and Habs fan (the beer was synonymous with the team). Personally, I am a European beer fan.

A good place for a meet up for beer connoisseurs would be Chaucer's pub, next to Marienbad restaurant.

manny_santos
Jan 19, 2011, 4:23 PM
Chaucer's is an excellent pub, they have a massive beer list. The Spoke at Western has a pretty extensive beer list as well, although not as extensive as Chaucer's.

Molson Export (the beer) is okay if it's cold, but if it's warm at all it tastes like Coors Light.

By the way, where does the Cream of Wheat avatar come from? Do a lot of Montrealers wear blue chef's hats?

MolsonExport
Jan 19, 2011, 4:58 PM
^he's there by popular request. I've had a few oddball characters over the years (including the green giant, Jack Van Impe, the toothless guy from Deliverance, etc.), but there were calls for me to revert to the Cream of Wheat dude. I like his smirk.

sparky212
Jan 19, 2011, 5:38 PM
id love to go but unfortunatly im only 17

Simpseatles
Jan 19, 2011, 10:54 PM
Ya, I'm around sparky212's age also.

Kokkei Mizu
Jan 20, 2011, 2:05 AM
I'm 19, but I just don't like bar/pub environments...

manny_santos
Jan 20, 2011, 2:23 AM
Wow, had no idea how young (and yet very knowledgeable) some of the members here are! I'm 25 myself, although I was quite knowledgeable about urban planning and transportation at a young age as well. Think a lot of it came from reading the Free Press a lot, and traveling a lot around Ontario and to some extent Michigan.

Duke-Of-Waterloo
Jan 20, 2011, 2:26 AM
I talked with someone on the Kitchener-Waterloo front and apparently a bunch of them are interested in coming to London for a get-together sometime. I guess they have meet-ups there all the time lol.

We'd love to meet up! I haven't been to London in a couple years so it would be good to see what's going on and catch up with a few fellow urbanists to the west. Perhaps we can share what we have in common and what we can have in common ;).

haljackey
Jan 20, 2011, 3:20 AM
Hmm so we have a few minors here... that's fine.

As long as we don't meet at a place where everyone needs to be I.D.'ed I'm sure we can set up a meet at a casual pub or bar for a social meet. Perhaps a Williams or something might also be acceptable. (It's easy to book a table at bars with a friendly atmosphere.)

So as we're figuring out a place, how about a date and time? How does a Saturday at 8ish sound? Will that work into everyone's schedules?

Also, what Saturday would work best for everyone? The 29th? Feb 5th? etc..

We'd love to meet up! I haven't been to London in a couple years so it would be good to see what's going on and catch up with a few fellow urbanists to the west. Perhaps we can share what we have in common and what we can have in common ;).

Awesome! Invite your friends! For those in London, feel free to invite people interested in this sort of stuff.

go_leafs_go02
Jan 20, 2011, 5:13 AM
Good luck on this. Hope it goes well.

For the record, I'm 22.

MolsonExport
Jan 20, 2011, 2:21 PM
I'm an old fart (41). But I love pubs, even if I don't get out much anymore (2 young kids, wife, etc.)

GreatTallNorth2
Jan 20, 2011, 2:27 PM
I'm in...wherever you want to meet. Just don't invite Paul Van Mer Burgen, ok HalJackey?

sparky212
Jan 20, 2011, 8:49 PM
So as we're figuring out a place, how about a date and time? How does a Saturday at 8ish sound? Will that work into everyone's schedules?

Also, what Saturday would work best for everyone? The 29th? Feb 5th? etc..

The 29th im good for

MolsonExport
Jan 23, 2011, 4:21 AM
I am up for a meet, but timing is always an issue. there must be cold beer at hand. just sayin'...

haljackey
Jan 23, 2011, 5:40 PM
Gah can't do the 29th. Is the 28th possible?

If not we can make plans for the next week.

Looks like we need to find a place that serves beer but isn't much of a "bar" theme and accepts minors. Suggestions?

GreatTallNorth2
Jan 23, 2011, 9:13 PM
Tim Best's SUV?

sparky212
Jan 24, 2011, 1:31 PM
Gah can't do the 29th. Is the 28th possible?

If not we can make plans for the next week.

i can do the 28th but cant do next weekend.

MolsonExport
Jan 24, 2011, 3:58 PM
Can't make the 28th/29th.

haljackey
Jan 24, 2011, 10:14 PM
Ok how about Feb 11 or 12? Is that enough advance notice?

Also we need to decide on the location. A place like Crabby Joes seems to appeal to the crowd we have here. Perhaps some place like that in the downtown area / Richmond Row?

Whisper09
Jan 28, 2011, 9:34 PM
How about my Penthouse suite in the Renaissance! :haha: :haha:

haljackey
Jan 30, 2011, 3:13 AM
How about my Penthouse suite in the Renaissance! :haha: :haha:

Done. :P

Still need confirmation on the dates. Everyone ok with the 11th or 12th of Feb?

MolsonExport
Jan 30, 2011, 4:21 AM
good place :D

seriously, where to go? there must be beer.

Whisper09
Jan 30, 2011, 4:11 PM
seriously, where to go? there must be beer.

There's beer at Palasad, and minors are allowed in... until after 9pm I believe. At least that's what I think, haven't been there in a while.

haljackey
Jan 31, 2011, 12:06 AM
I suggested Crabby Joe's in my last post. I think a downtown or Richmond Row location is best.

Also date. I'm aiming for one of these days:
-Friday, February 11
-Saturday, February 12

Please let me know if you can attend one or both of these days. Once we get a set date and location I can make the arrangements and contact the folks that might want to come from Waterloo.

manny_santos
Jan 31, 2011, 12:51 AM
I suggested Crabby Joe's in my last post. I think a downtown or Richmond Row location is best.

Also date. I'm aiming for one of these days:
-Friday, February 11
-Saturday, February 12

Please let me know if you can attend one or both of these days. Once we get a set date and location I can make the arrangements and contact the folks that might want to come from Waterloo.

I'd be for Crabby Joe's on Dundas. I've never had bad service there.

I can't promise I'll be there. But, if I am, don't be fooled...I'm not Portuguese, despite what my handle suggests. :cool:

sparky212
Jan 31, 2011, 3:20 AM
i can probably do the 12th

GreatTallNorth2
Jan 31, 2011, 3:32 AM
Let's do it! Feb. 12th at Crabby Joes downtown. 7:00 pm ok?

Kokkei Mizu
Jan 31, 2011, 6:45 AM
Awe, fuck.. hopefully I can book it off work XD

sparky212
Feb 1, 2011, 4:03 PM
i shall do my best to attend

haljackey
Feb 1, 2011, 10:15 PM
Looks like the 12th at Crabby Joes.

Can everyone post here saying weather or not they can attend this date? If not a good backup date could be the 11th?

MolsonExport
Feb 2, 2011, 2:42 AM
hmmm, the 12th. Maybe. I enjoy beer, so I might cab it. No guarantee, as I must get permission from the old ball-and-chain.

Kokkei Mizu
Feb 2, 2011, 3:19 AM
Looks like the 12th at Crabby Joes.

Can everyone post here saying weather or not they can attend this date? If not a good backup date could be the 11th?

I booked it off work, but the schedule hasn't been made yet, so my manager may still have me work as Saturdays are usually understaffed. I'm hoping to make it though.

GreatTallNorth2
Feb 2, 2011, 4:50 PM
I should be there...what time?

haljackey
Feb 3, 2011, 3:37 AM
Looks like we're gunning for Feb. 12 at 7pm at Crabby Joe's.

It's just east of Dundas and Wellington on Dundas's north side.

Date and location are tentative for now. Should be finalized soon... need everyone to post if this is good.

Simpseatles
Feb 3, 2011, 10:35 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think I can go. :( Just getting there and back would be a bit of a problem for me, regardless of the date.

I hope it goes well otherwise!

Sorry

haljackey
Feb 4, 2011, 12:36 AM
Just getting there and back would be a bit of a problem for me, regardless of the date.

Is it just the location that's the problem? It's not too late to move the location.

Perhaps we can move it closer to where you are.

Simpseatles
Feb 4, 2011, 12:58 AM
Is it just the location that's the problem? It's not too late to move the location.

Perhaps we can move it closer to where you are.

It's not quite just the location that's the problem. Because I live out of town, and can't drive (yet) I have to get a ride in. I'll see if I can do that, but don't change your location just for me. It won't really matter since it's a trip into town either way. Downtown is centrally located for everyone.

haljackey
Feb 4, 2011, 3:43 AM
It's not quite just the location that's the problem. Because I live out of town, and can't drive (yet) I have to get a ride in. I'll see if I can do that, but don't change your location just for me. It won't really matter since it's a trip into town either way. Downtown is centrally located for everyone.

Ah, that's the problem. Nevertheless, hope you can make it!

Just as a reminder it is set for Saturday, February 12 at 7:00pm at Crabby Joe's on Dundas at Wellington Streets.

Everyone feel free to attend, but please let me know if you are. That way I know the numbers and can book a big-enough table.

What do you want the reservation under? Skyscraperpage? :haha:

haljackey
Feb 7, 2011, 9:02 PM
Ok I need a head count so I can make the proper arrangements.

Please post below even if you already said you can come so I can make sure of the numbers.

Thanks!

MolsonExport
Feb 10, 2011, 2:35 AM
Should be there!

haljackey
Feb 10, 2011, 4:40 AM
Well that's almost one...

I still have 0 people confirmed... thinking of changing the date.

Please let me know by the end of tomorrow! The folks from Waterloo are still aiming to come but without a home crowd I might have to reschedule the meet.

manny_santos
Feb 10, 2011, 1:03 PM
I'd like to go but I can't commit until the last minute...just very hard to plan around a busy life right now for me.

MolsonExport
Feb 10, 2011, 9:05 PM
So, how many of y'alls plan on attending? We can't be swamped with KWers!

haljackey
Feb 11, 2011, 1:36 AM
So, how many of y'alls plan on attending? We can't be swamped with KWers!

Got a yes from Waterlooinvestor :haha:

haljackey
Feb 11, 2011, 8:53 PM
Just the three of us? :koko:

Making the reservation soon.

MolsonExport
Feb 12, 2011, 1:57 AM
I suspect some will drop in. Hopefully there will be a decent turnout. I will attend. What is the reservation under?

I hate these ads:
http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/imgad?id=CIal75Lut9fzGRCsAhjvATII6y_v3AL95vw

Kokkei Mizu
Feb 12, 2011, 5:59 AM
I'm coming! I finally figured out if I was working or not. My boss is so unorganized lol

haljackey
Feb 12, 2011, 4:23 PM
I'm coming!

That's 4.

I suspect some will drop in. Hopefully there will be a decent turnout. I will attend. What is the reservation under?

I'm not sure what the reservation should be under. Give me a name. I'll make the reservation this afternoon.

For how many? 6? 8?

haljackey
Feb 12, 2011, 6:42 PM
Ok made the reservation for 8 in case more people show up.

Under the name Stubbs (my last name).

Show up around 7. See you then! :)

haljackey
Feb 13, 2011, 6:05 PM
T'was a good time last night.

We had 4 members show up... a little low but understandable as it was our first meet up. I'm sure we can do better in the future!

Attendees:
-Haljackey
-Kokkei Mizu
-MolsonExport
-Waterloo Investor

Discussions were all over the place, ranging from London and area to other cities in Canada to places like Dubai and Shanghai. I don't really remember other specifics because afterward I drank 32 different beers in a sampling event. :P Maybe someone else can elaborate here. ;)

By the way, MolsonExport doesn't look anything like the Cream of Wheat dude. :haha:

We'll try to do another one in the spring... hopefully make this a quarterly event or something. The location can differ though... maybe the Fox and Fiddle or somewhere on Richmond Row.

manny_santos
Feb 13, 2011, 8:23 PM
By the way, MolsonExport doesn't look anything like the Cream of Wheat dude.

Dang. I showed up in the end and couldn't find him.

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2007/06/15/image2932728g.jpg

Just kidding, I wasn't down that way. Spent some family time last night and watched the Leafs act like a bunch of peewee hockey players, except for Giguiere who played well.

MolsonExport
Feb 14, 2011, 1:55 PM
Thanks for organizing the meet, Haljackey.

I'd be up for a May meeting.

Whisper09
Feb 23, 2011, 10:50 AM
I'll probably be up for the next meet up. I didn't come because I was in T Dot, and the fact that I don't really know anyone :ahhh: :haha:

Kokkei Mizu
Feb 24, 2011, 3:55 AM
I'll probably be up for the next meet up. I didn't come because I was in T Dot, and the fact that I don't really know anyone :ahhh: :haha:

This is a good way to get to know people. I put a face to haljackey, MolsonExport and WaterlooInvestor. The meeting went okay, but I bet next time it'll be even better!

haljackey
Apr 14, 2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks for organizing the meet, Haljackey.

I'd be up for a May meeting.

Time to plan for one I guess, amazing how fast time flies.

Who's down for a May meeting?

So just some preliminary stuff before anything is set in stone:
-What days are good for you?
-What time that day?
-Where do you want to have the meet up?
-What else?

Last time the meeting was held on a Saturday at 7pm at Crabby Joe's. 4 people showed up, including myself and one guy from Waterloo (Waterlooinvestor). Surely we can at least double that attendance this time!

Thoughts?

manny_santos
Apr 14, 2011, 1:29 AM
I have no idea what's going on in May yet for me. I'm still working on securing a summer job, so I don't know what my schedule is going to be.

Kokkei Mizu
Apr 14, 2011, 11:00 AM
I would rather have the meet on a Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday evening. If not, a weekend lunch would work better for me than a dinner.

MolsonExport
Apr 14, 2011, 4:36 PM
I prefer weekend (fri/sat) evenings, and beer.

Wharn
Apr 15, 2011, 1:11 AM
I have no idea what is going to happen to me in May. Had a job offer fall out from underneath me (company went bankrupt), so after exams I'll be looking frantically for something, anything. There's a possibility that I'd be unemployed and able to join at any time :D

MolsonExport
Apr 15, 2011, 3:04 PM
^either way, beer is helpful. :D

haljackey
Apr 16, 2011, 12:16 AM
Oh there will be beer. There will be beer.

MolsonExport
Apr 16, 2011, 12:41 AM
AMdeCB hit my shopping cart this afternoon in Costco. Wearing that ubiquitous red jacket. She looked very strained. I felt sorry for her. TB was nowhere to be seen.

Kokkei Mizu
Apr 16, 2011, 3:11 AM
I thought I saw her turning left from Ridout onto Horton the other day... Could of been someone else. What kind of car does she drive?

manny_santos
Apr 16, 2011, 3:16 AM
I see her at Fanshawe now and again, now that she works there.

haljackey
Apr 16, 2011, 5:23 PM
Shall we invite AMdeCB to the meet up since we're constantly running into her? :P

The meet up will probably be later in the month to give people enough time to make themselves available.

Maybe May 20-21 or 27-28? How does that work for everyone?

If we have a meet-up at a place like Crabby Joe's (the location of the last meet-up), people of all ages can go. It does not have to be at a club/pub on Richmond Row.

MolsonExport
Apr 17, 2011, 12:43 AM
What about Friday Knight Lights? :D

manny_santos
Apr 17, 2011, 3:18 AM
What about Friday Knight Lights? :D

They do have Latin American music one night a week, attracts lots of Colombian girls :D

Kokkei Mizu
Apr 18, 2011, 2:18 AM
I'm of age, but I know that there are a few people on here that are below the drinking age. So let's choose a place like Crabby Joe's like last time so everybody can be included :)

Wharn
Apr 18, 2011, 5:38 AM
Shall we invite AMdeCB to the meet up since we're constantly running into her? :P

I don't think so, Tim. Given the amount of animosity directed towards her on these forums, things would get awkward quickly.

Maybe May 20-21 or 27-28? How does that work for everyone?

If we have a meet-up at a place like Crabby Joe's (the location of the last meet-up), people of all ages can go. It does not have to be at a club/pub on Richmond Row.

Again, depends on the job situation. I agree with Kokkei Mizu to a degree, if there are underage people who want to come then we may wish to pick Crabby Joe's, but otherwise it's fair game if they choose not to attend.

haljackey
Oct 11, 2011, 12:48 AM
I hate November. It's cold and rainy outside and there's usually nothing going on.

Want to do another meet-up sometime in November?

Decimal Point
Nov 15, 2011, 10:14 PM
Is anything going ahead regarding a meet-up?

haljackey
Jun 12, 2012, 9:15 PM
Anyone have interest in organizing a meetup later this month or during the summer?

MolsonExport
Jun 14, 2012, 12:24 PM
sure. with a nice terrace and ample cold beer, I would be up for one.

manny_santos
Jun 15, 2012, 1:57 AM
Depends if I'm still in Mexico City for my job. If I find myself in London, I'd consider it.

Wharn
Jun 15, 2012, 3:27 AM
I'll probably be in London the weekend of July 27th, although it's not concrete at this point.