PDA

View Full Version : Hooters In Bells Corners

reidjr
Dec 23, 2010, 2:49 PM
month after the Vox tavern was torn down, plans are being finalized to do away with Bells Corners' other eyesore.

The abandoned Hooters restaurant on the corner of Robertson and Fitzgerald will ether be demolished or renovated to make way for a new Tim Hortons location.

The current main location on Robertson Rd. doesn't have a drive-thru. That location will close and move to the new one, according to councillor Rick Chiarelli.

The abandoned Hooters building is on property owned by Canadian Tire.

On Thursday the new Bells Corners BIA will unveil its new banners at the Holiday Inn at 9 a.m. The banners will be installed Monday on light standards along the main strip.

doug.hempstead@sunmedia.ca

adam-machiavelli
Dec 23, 2010, 7:01 PM
Putting banners through Bells Corners to make it look nice is like putting lipstick on a pig and then saying "ain't she purdy!". That whole area has the potential to be a great urban destination. It needs a complete redevelopment to achieve it.

Harley613
Dec 23, 2010, 7:21 PM
thank you for making me spit coffee all over my desk adam. hahaha.

reidjr
Dec 23, 2010, 7:59 PM
Putting banners through Bells Corners to make it look nice is like putting lipstick on a pig and then saying "ain't she purdy!". That whole area has the potential to be a great urban destination. It needs a complete redevelopment to achieve it.

It is on the way with the vox gone and a new hotel going there with hooters turning into a tim hortons that will help.The holiday inn just did open a few month back and is doing well the price choppers mall is undergoing a major revamp in 2011 so that should be much better as well.

adam-machiavelli
Dec 24, 2010, 1:17 AM
The content of the stores is not the problem. I don't care if there's a Hooters and Vox Lounge there. The problem is the auto-oriented built form. If Richmond/Robertson was narrowed and building were brought closer to the street, with sidewalks and more vegetation added, there could be a REAL urban district with some local identity.

reidjr
Dec 24, 2010, 12:36 PM
The content of the stores is not the problem. I don't care if there's a Hooters and Vox Lounge there. The problem is the auto-oriented built form. If Richmond/Robertson was narrowed and building were brought closer to the street, with sidewalks and more vegetation added, there could be a REAL urban district with some local identity.

While i agree that would be ideal you could have flowers down the middle of robertson along with tall pine its would be really nice.However the issue right now is so many people drive down robertson to avoid the queesnway.I live and work in bc and many times cars are bumber to bumber from one end of bc to the other and then some time cars are backed up all the way to the hazeldean shopping centre.Untill we have light rail or a ring road i am not sure if making the road smaller would be the right move.

Harley613
Dec 24, 2010, 1:52 PM
i don't see bells corners ever being a pretty westboro like area. the stores are set too far back. it's lost to ugliness forever, just like merivale, st. laurent, and st. joseph.

adam-machiavelli
Dec 24, 2010, 4:32 PM
I think the solution then is Robertson must be put on a road diet.

RTWAP
Jan 9, 2011, 6:06 AM
i don't see bells corners ever being a pretty westboro like area. the stores are set too far back. it's lost to ugliness forever, just like merivale, st. laurent, and st. joseph.

Would it be an improvement if the parking in front of stores was expropriated. And then move each direction of traffic closer to the buildings on their side of the roadway. And then turn the space you've freed up in the middle of the roadway into a mix of angled parking, bike path, small scale retail and landscaping.

It would certainly no longer look like an arterial. More like a main street I hope.

Uhuniau
Jan 9, 2011, 6:35 PM
The way to improve areas like Bells Corners is through incrementalist rules, if they are allowed in this regressive backwater called Ontario.

Whatever's there can stay, but when it has to go, whether through planned demolition or otherwise, it has to be replaced by something tighter to the street with parking at the side, or rear, or underground, or overhead, anywhere but between the building and the lot line.