PDA

View Full Version : Help please! What areas are good near Dal for a family?

Addy
Oct 19, 2010, 8:18 PM
My husband and I are in our late 30's with one small child (3.5 yrs old). My husband is military and we are most likely being posted to Halifax (no guarantees of course but likely) in the Spring of next year.

Both my husband and I prefer to live close to ammenities, ie he cycles to work, I walk to work and my daughters daycare. We also tend to walk most places to buy groceries and other necessities.

If we move to Halifax we want to buy a house in an ideal location, something close to where I can get work (near Dal and the Hospital most likely) and we can rent an apt in our house or a couple of rooms to students. Another big factor is we want to be very close (within a few hundred meters if possible) of an elementary school.

I realize this is a tall wish list, but if I want to make it happen I need to ask for your advice and opinions.

The areas we are looking at is from Dal north to Quinpool, and from Dal east to downtown (although less houses as you go east I realize) and south of Dal maybe a km or two max.

There seems to be lots of detached houses, expensive but if we have an apartment it would help with the mortgage. In these areas, besides Pete's Frootique and Planet Organic and the Superstore on Quinpool, are there any other grocery type stores?

In the area I described, does anyone know how much say a 2 bdrm apt in a house or a furnished room would rent for approximately?

If you have any other areas we may want to consider (I want to be able to walk everywhere so please keep this in mind) or other advice to give me, I would very much appreciate it (feel free to pm me if you prefer).

:)

someone123
Oct 19, 2010, 8:26 PM
There is a Superstore along the south end of Barrington and a Sobeys on Queen. That area is probably a little cheaper. It would be on the upper end of walking distance to Dal.

Another good area is around Cunard/Windsor/Agricola/North, which is more affordable than Dal/Quinpool and also has a grocery store (Sobeys) along with a variety of other small shops.

Hydrostone is another option, also close to big grocery store (Young St Superstore) and small shops but it is too far from Dal to be practical for walking. Downtown Dartmouth is another similar option that is pedestrian-oriented but a little farther away.

alps
Oct 19, 2010, 10:30 PM
The area around Quinpool/Tupper School sounds like it would suit your needs, as would the neighbourhoods off Queen Street, near the Sobeys and St Mary's School. The latter is more central but also a little busier.

My family lived on Pine St in downtown Dartmouth when I was young. It'd take around an hour to walk to Dal (including the ferry trip), less if you caught the bus or worked at the downtown campus. There's a big library with a children's section right at the ferry terminal.

Here's some useful school board maps (http://www.hrsb.ns.ca/content/id/1001.html).

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 20, 2010, 1:23 AM
My husband and I are in our late 30's with one small child (3.5 yrs old). My husband is military and we are most likely being posted to Halifax (no guarantees of course but likely) in the Spring of next year.

Both my husband and I prefer to live close to ammenities, ie he cycles to work, I walk to work and my daughters daycare. We also tend to walk most places to buy groceries and other necessities.

If we move to Halifax we want to buy a house in an ideal location, something close to where I can get work (near Dal and the Hospital most likely) and we can rent an apt in our house or a couple of rooms to students. Another big factor is we want to be very close (within a few hundred meters if possible) of an elementary school.

I realize this is a tall wish list, but if I want to make it happen I need to ask for your advice and opinions.

The areas we are looking at is from Dal north to Quinpool, and from Dal east to downtown (although less houses as you go east I realize) and south of Dal maybe a km or two max.

There seems to be lots of detached houses, expensive but if we have an apartment it would help with the mortgage. In these areas, besides Pete's Frootique and Planet Organic and the Superstore on Quinpool, are there any other grocery type stores?

In the area I described, does anyone know how much say a 2 bdrm apt in a house or a furnished room would rent for approximately?

If you have any other areas we may want to consider (I want to be able to walk everywhere so please keep this in mind) or other advice to give me, I would very much appreciate it (feel free to pm me if you prefer).

:)

For south of quinpool you are paying extra with no benefit. I would say streets north of quinpool and east of connaught are more affordable and virtually the same.

Keith P.
Oct 20, 2010, 1:43 AM
For south of quinpool you are paying extra with no benefit. I would say streets north of quinpool and east of connaught are more affordable and virtually the same.

I would agree, though they are no longer the bargain they once were. The section of town bounded by Oxford/Quinpool/Connaught/Chebucto is a lovely area -- Kline, Beech, Elm, Poplar and Oak Streets. North of that is another interesting area, bounded by North/Windsor/Almon/Oxford. North of THAT is another cool neighborhood, bounded by Young/Windsor/Almon/Connaught.

beyeas
Oct 20, 2010, 11:21 AM
I live in this area, and certainly all the comments above are valuable comments.

One thing I would add is that two of the better elementary schools in the city are Tupper & Lemarchant, both of which are in this area.

With respect to the value for money, I do agree that the farther south in the peninsula you go, the higher the prices just for being "south". The areas mentioned before (the "tree" streets) are indeed wonderful neighbourhoods, as are the analagous streets that are north of Dal and south of Quinpool. The real major price increases happen when you get south of Dal. Both of the areas above that I mentioned are in either Tupper or Lemarchant school districts.

PS: I am not sure what the long term plan for those schools is though... depends on what the current government does. I believe the original plan just before the previous government fell was to amalgamate some of the elementary schools, and for a new school to be built on the Lemarchant grounds.

JET
Oct 20, 2010, 11:56 AM
The area around Quinpool/Tupper School sounds like it would suit your needs, as would the neighbourhoods off Queen Street, near the Sobeys and St Mary's School. The latter is more central but also a little busier.

My family lived on Pine St in downtown Dartmouth when I was young. It'd take around an hour to walk to Dal (including the ferry trip), less if you caught the bus or worked at the downtown campus. There's a big library with a children's section right at the ferry terminal.

Here's some useful school board maps (http://www.hrsb.ns.ca/content/id/1001.html).

ALPS; where on Pine?

eastcoastal
Oct 20, 2010, 3:28 PM
I would agree, though they are no longer the bargain they once were. The section of town bounded by Oxford/Quinpool/Connaught/Chebucto is a lovely area -- Kline, Beech, Elm, Poplar and Oak Streets. North of that is another interesting area, bounded by North/Windsor/Almon/Oxford. North of THAT is another cool neighborhood, bounded by Young/Windsor/Almon/Connaught.

What he said... I wouldn't limit yourself to south of Quinpool - I think that the best bang for your buck would be just north of Quinpool.

Addy
Oct 21, 2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks everyone, really great information! I would be open to north of Quinpool, although not much more north because I do want to stay within a reasonable walking distance of Dal. I assumed Quinpool would be pretty much the limit to the amount most students would care to walk - any comments on this?

Thanks for the info about the elementary schools, it really helps to know what schools are better. I am really hoping to buy a house within a very short walk (ie 2 blocks or so) from an elementary school. I'm anxious about before and after school care though.... Sir Charles website says they have none, and Le Marchant's didn't really seem that great. Inglis on the other hand seemed to have really great before and after school care.

Does anyone know how much, on average, rooms tend to rent for if they are within a few blocks of Dal?

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 21, 2010, 12:38 AM
I think Dal students would be willing to walk from as far north as Chebucto.

If you lived on Allan St. for example, you would be about a 15 minute walk from Dal, but right around the corner from Quinpool Centre (Superstore, Shoppers, Canadian Tire, NSLC).

The rents tend to vary significantly close to Dal. You also have to contend with more university students in the area.

If you are talking south of South Street, most properties are quite expensive.

hfxtradesman
Oct 21, 2010, 12:40 AM
Depends on if it's a two bedroom or three, plus depends on which company runs the building, but your in the $850-$1250 range.

hfx_chris
Oct 21, 2010, 1:04 AM
Dalhousie students will also get a U-pass with their tuition, which gives them unlimited access to Metro Transit bus service, so really you could probably easily find students willing to rent just about anywhere north of Quinpool.

coolmillion
Oct 21, 2010, 2:24 AM
The Halifax peninsula is quite small, so unless you're really deep in the North End (which is a pretty nice area), you'll find that it's not difficult to walk to Dal and downtown. And, with a couple of exceptions, most neighbourhoods are "good" - single family homes mixed in with some duplexes and the occasional small apt. building on major streets, mid-sized lots, lots of trees. I would say that in addition to choosing a nice area, it's important to be on a good street with good neighbours. This may be hard to tell when looking at homes, but it may be worth investigating. For instance, see if there are families nearby, people taking care of their properties, etc.
I second the suggestion of the area around Allan and Elm. Another plus there is that you're close to the #1 bus to Spring Garden.

Addy
Oct 21, 2010, 2:42 PM
What would the closest elementary school be to the area around Allan and Elm?

Thanks everyone - I'm so happy I asked here, you are a wealth of information!

hfxtradesman
Oct 21, 2010, 11:33 PM
There are a few in the area. Just use Google (elementry schools Halifax), the closest one looks like Chebucto and North.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 22, 2010, 3:12 AM
What would the closest elementary school be to the area around Allan and Elm?

Thanks everyone - I'm so happy I asked here, you are a wealth of information!

There are two... one is Sir Charles Tupper and it would be closest. It is a good school and Allan and Elm is a good choice. To get to Tupper you walk south to quinpool, over to beech, and then down one street south of Quinpool.

Oxford is at Chebucto and North and is a Primary to 9. It is also a good school and has more resources due to the age range. Most Tupper students go to Cornwallis after grade 6.

I went to Oxford Primary to 9, but the Jr. High has more students per grade.

alps
Oct 22, 2010, 3:20 AM
ALPS; where on Pine?

Thanks everyone, really great information! I would be open to north of Quinpool, although not much more north because I do want to stay within a reasonable walking distance of Dal. I assumed Quinpool would be pretty much the limit to the amount most students would care to walk - any comments on this?

Thanks for the info about the elementary schools, it really helps to know what schools are better. I am really hoping to buy a house within a very short walk (ie 2 blocks or so) from an elementary school. I'm anxious about before and after school care though.... Sir Charles website says they have none, and Le Marchant's didn't really seem that great. Inglis on the other hand seemed to have really great before and after school care.

Does anyone know how much, on average, rooms tend to rent for if they are within a few blocks of Dal?

We live on Oxford near North now and I'm at Dal -- it's only a 15 minute walk or a quick bus ride (good service frequency).

Allen/Elm is basically on the boundary of Oxford School and Tupper School. All the neighbouring kids went to Oxford, but my parents sent me to Tupper. Double check on the Tupper situation because when I went there (90s) they had a good lunch/afterschool program. I ran into the child monitor a year or so ago, and I think she said she was still working there. I think it was run by a third party, if that might explain why it's not on the website. We were also babysat by several women involved with the PTA, which you could get in contact with.

Addy
Oct 27, 2010, 12:29 AM
edited - sorry I don't know how to delete my posts.

JET
Oct 28, 2010, 6:44 PM
[QUOTE=alps;5026107]#4

Nice House. :tup:

spaustin
Oct 28, 2010, 11:53 PM
What everyone has said about just North of Quinpool being a good fit in terms of price and distance is true. When I was in undergrad I use to live near the end of Quinpool (7099) and even from that distant point near the Rotary it only took me 20-25 minutes by foot to get to the Dal A&A. I know Allan Street was mentioned, but it's not one I would consider if I were you. It's actually a very busy street because it catches all the people going into the Quinpool Centre by the backway. It's busy, but it really wasn't designed for the traffic as it's really narrow and they allow on street parking. Go one or two north though to Lawrence or Duncan, they're much nicer.

Addy
Oct 30, 2010, 5:57 PM
Can anyone here fill me in on recreation opportunities for young children (ie 4 yr old girl) as well as an active family?

I was curious about the area around Oxford school, and worldlyhaligonian's post has me even more interested. It seems it would still be a reasonable walk to Dal for a student (we want to rent a room or two out to students), and still give me the opportunity to walk my daughter to and from elementary school.

The Halifax Conservatory seems interesting (stumbled upon it while google street-viewing a house for sale). This has me wondering what other recreation facilities are in the peninsula?

YMCA although I have to double check where it is again, and the private club that starts with a W (I forget how to spell the name), and the Conservatory... and I imagine a few private smaller dance schools. I would like to be near a decent non-private gym for me to work out at, as well as some dance or sport classes as well as an aquatic centre where my daughter can continue her swim lessons.

One more question, I've read that Gottingen Street is one of the less desireable streets in Halifax - I'm assuming any block close to Gottingen is also not desireable. I'm curious what the opinions are here about this area? I realize it's a long block so possibly varies according to what cross street you're near. What are the elementary schools in this area like? And are the houses difficult to sell? I see they are priced lower than other neighbourhoods, so I'm assuming there's a reason for this?

someone123
Oct 30, 2010, 8:26 PM
One more question, I've read that Gottingen Street is one of the less desireable streets in Halifax - I'm assuming any block close to Gottingen is also not desireable. I'm curious what the opinions are here about this area? I realize it's a long block so possibly varies according to what cross street you're near. What are the elementary schools in this area like? And are the houses difficult to sell? I see they are priced lower than other neighbourhoods, so I'm assuming there's a reason for this?

The neighbourhood is a bit sketchy but better than its reputation.

There are some very specific developments/buildings you probably don't want to live next door to, but in many cases houses a block or two away are pretty desirable. For example, the Falkland/Maynard area seems pretty nice. Lots of people have bought new townhouses around Maitland/Cornwallis.

Parts of Agricola and sidestreets are in many cases quite nice. The streets behind Cunard (e.g. June) form an interesting neighbourhood.

Housing prices have gone up a lot in this area recently and I would expect this to be an area where they continue to climb.

worldlyhaligonian
Nov 1, 2010, 4:50 AM
Can anyone here fill me in on recreation opportunities for young children (ie 4 yr old girl) as well as an active family?

I was curious about the area around Oxford school, and worldlyhaligonian's post has me even more interested. It seems it would still be a reasonable walk to Dal for a student (we want to rent a room or two out to students), and still give me the opportunity to walk my daughter to and from elementary school.

The Halifax Conservatory seems interesting (stumbled upon it while google street-viewing a house for sale). This has me wondering what other recreation facilities are in the peninsula?

YMCA although I have to double check where it is again, and the private club that starts with a W (I forget how to spell the name), and the Conservatory... and I imagine a few private smaller dance schools. I would like to be near a decent non-private gym for me to work out at, as well as some dance or sport classes as well as an aquatic centre where my daughter can continue her swim lessons.

The reason for this is that a public housing project was built in the centre of the Gottingen when Africville was torn down many years ago. The area is gentrifying significantly, but it is still sort of sketchy over there and is pretty far from Dal.

In terms of recreation, there is alot to do in the neighborhood we were discussing earlier.

The club that starts with a W is the Waegwoltic and its membership base was recently opened up to non-referral. It is a great and safe place for a child to spend their summer taking swimming/tennis/sailing classes or being with the family (as there is a large "sandbox" and multiple pools). It can be a little pricey for a membership initially.

Also, there is Saint Mary's boatclub, which is owned by the HRM. I am sure they have many programs there. Dalhousie has a number of different facilities and so does SMU.

There is a guide to all of the rec programs, likely on the Halifax.ca website and it can give you more information.