PDA

View Full Version : 3333 Main Street | 18m | 5 fl | Completed

Pages : [1] 2 3

red_lantern
Oct 18, 2010, 6:09 AM
Sales Office opened up today...well not exactly the sales office/display centre, just a trailer with a model. Sales person wasn't able to give out floorplans or pricing yet as he said they are being worked on. He didn't have a lot of information on the project just said to register online and come back in a few weeks. I asked about HST and he said they only give 7% back...hst is 12% so hmmm...... Seemed like he didn't know too much about his own project. Looking forward to see the display centre hopefully they will have more information in a few weeks.

webster
Oct 18, 2010, 9:41 PM
Sales Office opened up today...well not exactly the sales office/display centre, just a trailer with a model. Sales person wasn't able to give out floorplans or pricing yet as he said they are being worked on. He didn't have a lot of information on the project just said to register online and come back in a few weeks. I asked about HST and he said they only give 7% back...hst is 12% so hmmm...... Seemed like he didn't know too much about his own project. Looking forward to see the display centre hopefully they will have more information in a few weeks.

5% would put it back to where it was...

red_lantern
Oct 28, 2010, 6:50 AM
Anyone heard anything about updates on marketing materials and when the presentation centre will be opening? I'm wondering if anyone on this forum is going to be buying here.

Mike K.
Oct 29, 2010, 6:04 PM
Can someone provide details (height, status [approved?]) for this project?

whatnext
Oct 29, 2010, 7:22 PM
:previous: Its approved and under construction. According to the city website its 59' tall with 5 stories.
http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/20100420/documents/p5.pdf

Seems like a big project (98 units) to go ahead without any pre-sales.

wrenegade
Oct 29, 2010, 9:23 PM
They have already leased a portion (or more) of the ground floor space so they bank probably didn't need presales to release the first portion of the construction loan. I'd expect sales to start before the crane is installed (or very shortly afterwards).

edit: I'm wrong, crane is up. I still expect sales to begin soon-ish.

whatnext
Oct 29, 2010, 10:46 PM
Crane's been up for a few weeks, you can see it in this picture I took of the sales centre construction:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=5010020&postcount=2282

whatnext
Nov 6, 2010, 8:08 PM
Some floorplans now on hoodsurf: http://www.hoodsurf.com/2010/11/04/3333-main-begins-pre-sales/

Looks like @ $570 per sq.ft.

red_lantern
Nov 14, 2010, 8:30 AM
The display centre opened up today, albeit they didn't seem very organized. The top floor isn't for sale yet nor were floor plans revealed which is kinda strange. Guess they are saving the best for last. Wasn't blown away by the finishings but decent enough for the price. Noticed a few folks with their checkbooks out so whatever units they had sold probably got snatched up. Still scratching my head about why they didn't realease the 5th floor units (they said they didn't even have floorplans for the 5th floor and weren't sure how many bedrooms the units would be).

whatnext
Nov 14, 2010, 6:16 PM
:previous: I dropped in as well and also found it odd they were holding some units back. Why would I plunk down money on one unit, if a better one might be available later?

hanko
Nov 14, 2010, 6:24 PM
The display centre opened up today, albeit they didn't seem very organized. The top floor isn't for sale yet nor were floor plans revealed which is kinda strange. Guess they are saving the best for last. Wasn't blown away by the finishings but decent enough for the price. Noticed a few folks with their checkbooks out so whatever units they had sold probably got snatched up. Still scratching my head about why they didn't realease the 5th floor units (they said they didn't even have floorplans for the 5th floor and weren't sure how many bedrooms the units would be).

Who knows, the developer is still working with the city on changes to the previously approved plan so they are not yet ready to release for sale.

jlousa
Nov 14, 2010, 7:14 PM
It's not unusual for a developer to hold back units, in fact it's almost standard operating procedure. Sell the weakest units first at lower prices, then release the more desirable units and point to the fact that demand is strong within the project. It's always easy to sell the good units, it's the bad units that are tough to offload.

red_lantern
Nov 15, 2010, 8:26 PM
There are some units still available. IE: Top floor NW corner unit 2 bedroom for about $800,000 Still too overpriced IMO. They shouldn't be more than $650,000 for this area.

red_lantern
Nov 17, 2010, 7:23 AM
From what I heard from a sales agent they had a smashing opening and 30 percent of units sold. Did anyone buy into this unit? Did you end up paying full price or did you receive a discount..ie HST included?

wrenegade
Nov 17, 2010, 8:38 AM
I must say 30% sold is a little surprising. They have some decent floorplans but I still thought the prices were a little on the high side. Close to $100/sq. ft. more expensive than 33 & Main, prices were pretty much in line with District. Good for Bastion.

delboy
Nov 17, 2010, 3:33 PM
There are some units still available. IE: Top floor NW corner unit 2 bedroom for about $800,000 Still too overpriced IMO. They shouldn't be more than $650,000 for this area.

i agree that is ridiculous for main street, downtown tis not

phesto
Nov 17, 2010, 4:57 PM
From a non-sales agent source, the opening was relatively quiet, though apparently they're about 20% sold. Still pretty impressive. Average pricing is $620 psf which is very high for a woodframe building.

WarrenC12
Nov 17, 2010, 5:06 PM
From a non-sales agent source, the opening was relatively quiet, though apparently they're about 20% sold. Still pretty impressive. Average pricing is $620 psf which is very high for a woodframe building.

Wow, particularly on Main and 17th or wherever that is.

twoNeurons
Nov 17, 2010, 5:30 PM
I think people are trying to buy into Main thinking it will become the next place to be. It's getting quite trendy... I'll give it that.

wrenegade
Nov 17, 2010, 6:28 PM
Pretty sure this is concrete not woodframe.

webster
Nov 17, 2010, 7:15 PM
Pretty sure this is concrete not woodframe.

it's 5 storey concrete - and a much better location than 33rd - IMO.

$620 per foot is pretty much in line with the concrete developments at Kingsway/Main area. Even re-sales at Uno and Sophia are close to, if not over $600 per foot.

Average price is probably in line, but I would not be paying over $800,000 for an apartment at this location

mr.sandbag
Nov 17, 2010, 8:37 PM
surprised thier going for $620 sqft since I just sold a unit in the sophia for $563 sqft and bought one in the Social for the same and I got 700 sqft terrace... pricey

phesto
Nov 17, 2010, 9:37 PM
As far as I know, it's 4-storeys of woodframe building above concrete retail at grade.

whatnext
Nov 18, 2010, 12:58 AM
I think people are trying to buy into Main thinking it will become the next place to be. It's getting quite trendy... I'll give it that.

Getting trendy? Main has probably been the trendiest "high street" in Vancouver for a few years. Compare it to more affluent strips like Dunbar or 41st in Kerrisdale and there are way more places to eat and shop along Main. By contrast The Drive has been mired in its "anti-everything" attitude for too long. Perhaps Fourth, or Broadway west of Macdonald comes close, but they don't have the level of trensetting clothing retail that Main does. Cambie Village is too short a strip.

Prices per sq ft are probably higher than 33rd and Main because Bastion's development is right in the middle of the area, while 33rd is at the southern edge.

nova9
Nov 18, 2010, 1:53 AM
Getting trendy? Main has probably been the trendiest "high street" in Vancouver for a few years. Compare it to more affluent strips like Dunbar or 41st in Kerrisdale and there are way more places to eat and shop along Main. By contrast The Drive has been mired in its "anti-everything" attitude for too long. Perhaps Fourth, or Broadway west of Macdonald comes close, but they don't have the level of trensetting clothing retail that Main does. Cambie Village is too short a strip.

Prices per sq ft are probably higher than 33rd and Main because Bastion's development is right in the middle of the area, while 33rd is at the southern edge.

I can't even begin to describe how trendy Main St is over places like W. 4th/Kits - though, there are differences in the type of clothes that are offered. I just like the sourcing that Main St. stores do - they do go on hunting trips in NYC and London. The only place that rivals Main St. in terms of fashion is Gastown. These are the two places I head to find that highlight piece to top an outfit.

I don't like the location of 33 at all. 3333 Main St. is in a much more desirable location.

red_lantern
Nov 18, 2010, 7:00 AM
I was in the sales centre on Saturday opening day and they told me that unit 403 was a 2 bedroom at $538,800 same with unit 423. However today I call and they said 403 had sold for full price and unit 423 is now $548,800 that's 10,000 dollars more than it was last week.

It's a concrete building.

Wow 10,000 increase in just a few days imagine that...

jlousa
Nov 18, 2010, 3:25 PM
red_lantern are you in anyway affiliated with this development? Your posts seem to give that indication.

phesto
Nov 18, 2010, 7:32 PM
Can someone please show me where it says that this project is a concrete building?

wrenegade
Nov 18, 2010, 7:50 PM
@Nova9, I suppose the location difference is personal preference. 33rd is much closer to Queen E Park and the new community centre, and General Brock school is next door. If you have young kids or plan to start a family this is likely better. 3333 Main is much more in the hip/trendy area with more restaurants. I'll give you that 33rd is a little bit in the no mans land retail wise, though I'd expect that to change soon.

@red_lantern: This isn't all that uncommon. If a couple floorplans sell quickly and are more desirable, why wouldn't the developer try and get a little more for them? Nothing stopping you from submitting an offer at the original price.

@phesto: I've been told (and it looks like others have too) that it is a concrete building. I don't have any proof besides hearing it from real estate agents.

Construction progress from November 6th (photos aren't great):

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/5187459931_77e449740c_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1273/5188060802_2de2e36e63_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/5187460871_6d433808eb_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1290/5188061616_514fb768fb_b.jpg

whatnext
Nov 19, 2010, 12:17 AM
:previous: How can retail options be expanded at 33rd? That would require rezoning Main south of 33rd. Unless that is part of the Little Mountain re-devlopment (whenever that actually happens).

wrenegade
Nov 19, 2010, 12:49 AM
:previous: How can retail options be expanded at 33rd? That would require rezoning Main south of 33rd. Unless that is part of the Little Mountain re-devlopment (whenever that actually happens).

Basically It can't. I was talking more about the 29th-33rd area. Auto shop, Clarkdale's used car lot, little hole in the wall retailers, I expect them to change soon. Realtech has that project the car fell into and Unita Living has it's expanded rental project at 28th with BCL going back in.

nova9
Nov 19, 2010, 6:07 AM
Basically It can't. I was talking more about the 29th-33rd area. Auto shop, Clarkdale's used car lot, little hole in the wall retailers, I expect them to change soon. Realtech has that project the car fell into and Unita Living has it's expanded rental project at 28th with BCL going back in.

The nester's is on 29th or 30th and there's a McD's there and an awesome pho place. There is a cool homeware and style shop next to a new tattoo parlor, a yoga studio, and a hair stylist. so it's not like it doens't have anything but it has nowhere near the vibe that further north on Main has.

It very much has that periphery feeling.

red_lantern
Nov 19, 2010, 9:01 AM
Hey thanks for the photos AWVan they look great, looks like the building is rapidly coming along. I was looking at a few developments and was in the sales centre and the rep there told m the sam ething that it was a solid concrete building. They are changing a few top floor plans from 2 to 3 bedroom and will be selling for a whopping 700,000 plus. Waaaay out of my price range.

Nice to see a lot of activity along main street. Hoping they develop the corner of King ED and Main.

The liquor store is going back to the original location, under the new apartments by the McDonalds. I'm thinking there may be a starbuks at the 33rd development....since ther's not one in the area yet.

red-paladin
Nov 19, 2010, 9:02 AM
There may eventually be a skytrain station also, however Translink said the developer of a large project would have to pay for [most of] it.

squeezied
Nov 19, 2010, 4:48 PM
I can't help but think Main will be the next Kitsilano and soon enough Fraser will be the next Main.

wrenegade
Nov 19, 2010, 5:04 PM
Hoping they develop the corner of King ED and Main.

Wesgroup is sitting on the property. Not high on their priority list right now.

I'm thinking there may be a starbuks at the 33rd development....since ther's not one in the area yet.

I can confirm that there won't be one. The entire first floor will be a Rexall Drugs. However, a new coffee shop, Little Mountain Coffee Co., will open across the street in the old Abbie's Sports Shop.

hanko
Nov 19, 2010, 5:45 PM
They are changing a few top floor plans from 2 to 3 bedroom and will be selling for a whopping 700,000 plus.

For low to midrange products, I usually see developers break larger into smaller units after the development was approved since it is typically easier to sell the small units. Perhaps, there is demand for larger units in the area so the developer is responding to it.

red_lantern
Nov 21, 2010, 7:52 AM
Interesting...I was dining at the Moxies on Broadway and there was one of the Bacon Brothers with his crew...he was telling them about a penthouse suite how purchased at 3333 Main....looks like the building will have a notorious new resident living amongst them.

If someone notices a smell from the above units, it's definately not bacon....must be another elicit substance...lol

red_lantern
Nov 21, 2010, 6:07 PM
I was in the Sales Centre today and they still seemed very unorganized. Some woman named Beverly kept saying units are on hold and didn't seem very welcoming. I don't think they have all their S...t together. The quality didn't seem too good either. Crack in the countertop and walls seemed a bit thin. I also talked to a construction guy that was smoking pot on the corner and he said they are putting it up as quickly as possible so that would lead me to believe the quality may not be up to par.

Trocadero
Nov 21, 2010, 11:45 PM
@phesto

I was just at the sales centre and the agent assured me that it is wood frame building above the retail level.

jlousa
Nov 22, 2010, 5:55 AM
I wouldn't put much faith in anything red-lantern posts.

red_lantern
Nov 22, 2010, 8:29 AM
The sales agent is a liar. telling you it's wood frame and telling me its concrete....then telling me the 5th floor is not available...then finding out theres a few available and then finding out some guy purchased half the floor. The sales agent there is making the project really sketchy and she don't know what they are doing and shouldn't be selling condos and stretching the truth if she can't get her story straight. I should have smaked her in the head with the brochure to wake her up. This is one reason I wouldn't buy in here.

phesto
Nov 22, 2010, 4:16 PM
@phesto

I was just at the sales centre and the agent assured me that it is wood frame building above the retail level.

Thanks for confirmation. Hopefully nobody actually put down a deposit thinking it was concrete...though that would help explain how they're getting $620 per sq ft!

As a rule of thumb, if a building is 4-5 storeys or less and the marketing materials don't mention the type of building construction, it's woodframe.

red_lantern
Nov 22, 2010, 8:04 PM
Interesting take on insurance: If this building is a wood frame and if they have a restaurant that allows cooking facilities below that would increase the insurance premium both for owners and for strata. If there's no cooking facilities in retail then it's fine. One of the sales reps said there would be a London Drugs or Shoppers downstairs but I highly doubt it. Maybee a starbucks and some sort of grocery or other business.

Millennium2002
Nov 22, 2010, 9:39 PM
Man... everything seems so sketchy about this project... it's scary in fact. =O

wrenegade
Nov 22, 2010, 10:51 PM
Regardless of whether this project is full concrete or just concrete perimeter/wood frame, the first floor retail area would be concrete so I don't understand the concern about a restaurant? Secondly, I'm not sure why this project should be considered "sketchy". Is it unusual for marketing staff in the sales centre to be misinformed? I can't count how many sales centres I've been to where staff have to consult plans or superiors to answer questions I've posed, that doesn't make them sketchy. Lots of times developers hold off units on top floors and then release them later, even without publicly stating this. Even when they say the units aren't available yet if you're actually serious about buying one there is nothing stopping you from making an offer. From what I have heard they have run into a bit of an issue with some of the ground floor retail but it has nothing to do with construction, just technicalities with the lease and bylaws, and my guess is they'll get it workout out. I maintain that I think it's a little pricy, but nonetheless it will be a great addition to Main street.

red_lantern
Nov 23, 2010, 8:23 AM
There's a proposal out for a development at the IGA down the street. Parking would be made underground and a tower would go up. It's in the early stages but more information should be coming out before the hollidays. Would be interesting if this turns out to be an entirely concrete building. No word on the developer yet, could be anyone's guess but would be neat to see another aquilini project go up similar to King edward Village.

westcoaster1
Nov 25, 2010, 3:55 PM
I bought a place there, I got in bought on Thursday before the sales centre opened on Saturday when the price the price increased 20 grand. I pre-registered on the web site. I'm at $541 per sq ft. It is a wood frame building, the north end of the 1st floor is going to be a Shoppers Drug Mart which I think is sort of stupid there is one at Cambie and 16th and another at the mall at Broadway and Kingsway. The south end of the building is still up in the air, I am hoping for retail that closes at 6:00 and not a restaurant.
I live close by now but need a bigger place and personally there is no where else in the city I would rather live than Main St. The city has taken a real interest in Mt. Pleasant they are going to start doing studies on the area, so they know how cool it is too.

wrenegade
Nov 25, 2010, 7:05 PM
There's a proposal out for a development at the IGA down the street. Parking would be made underground and a tower would go up. It's in the early stages but more information should be coming out before the hollidays. Would be interesting if this turns out to be an entirely concrete building. No word on the developer yet, could be anyone's guess but would be neat to see another aquilini project go up similar to King edward Village.

I drove by the site the other day and didn't see anything, do you have a link or any other info about the redevelopment?

red_lantern
Nov 25, 2010, 9:07 PM
It would be cool if they had a Cafe Artigiano in the buiding or some type of Secret Garden Style bakery cafe. Something unique that would draw people over. Also an ice cream shop would be fitting as this used to be an Ice Cream Factory.

jlousa
Nov 26, 2010, 3:39 AM
There is no proposal for the IGA site, the Mount Pleasant plan mentions what would be acceptable there when the site comes up for redevelopment. I imagine there will be a proposal at some point in the next decade but there isn't anything currently on the table.

fuschia_yvr
Nov 27, 2010, 12:42 AM
I bought about three weeks ago before the sales office opened. I was told that London Drugs is definitely going underneath on the North end. The south end is going to be cafe but they didn't have a name yet.

wrenegade
Nov 27, 2010, 1:29 AM
I bought about three weeks ago before the sales office opened. I was told that London Drugs is definitely going underneath on the North end. The south end is going to be cafe but they didn't have a name yet.

One says London Drugs, one says Shoppers? hmm. Personally I had heard it was Shoppers, but that they are running into some issues. Would not be great to have the space totally empty.

westcoaster1
Nov 27, 2010, 4:25 AM
well it depends on who you talked to. Someone mentioned the female sales rep wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed and gave out a bunch of false information about the building. Yeah I'd say that's a pretty solid statement about her.

Personally I'd rather see a London Drugs in there. I was told by the other sales rep its definitely a Shoppers though.

65% of the construction of any building is the underground garage and this one looks pretty much almost all poured. They are starting to pour concrete walls on the south end of the building for the ground floor. There is also a 3" slab of concrete poured between floors even though it's a wood frame building. I also expect the sales centre to close when they've sold about 40% and re-open much later in the process and hike up the rates once again. They started building well before the sales centre opened so they didn't need to cash for construction up front like most do.

jsbertram
Nov 27, 2010, 8:41 AM
The sales agent is a liar. telling you it's wood frame and telling me its concrete....then telling me the 5th floor is not available...then finding out theres a few available and then finding out some guy purchased half the floor. The sales agent there is making the project really sketchy and she don't know what they are doing and shouldn't be selling condos and stretching the truth if she can't get her story straight. I should have smaked her in the head with the brochure to wake her up. This is one reason I wouldn't buy in here.

Sometimes I wonder how some salespersons manage to get dressed & make it to work. I was in a presentation centre downtown (with a view of the mountains & harbour), and the guy didn't know what direction was north. Then he made it worse by not knowing that Stanley Park is west of Downtown and the West End.

Needless to say, no sale ThankYouVeryMutch

whatnext
Nov 28, 2010, 9:31 PM
I bought a place there, I got in bought on Thursday before the sales centre opened on Saturday when the price the price increased 20 grand. I pre-registered on the web site. I'm at $541 per sq ft. It is a wood frame building, the north end of the 1st floor is going to be a Shoppers Drug Mart which I think is sort of stupid there is one at Cambie and 16th and another at the mall at Broadway and Kingsway. The south end of the building is still up in the air, I am hoping for retail that closes at 6:00 and not a restaurant.
I live close by now but need a bigger place and personally there is no where else in the city I would rather live than Main St. The city has taken a real interest in Mt. Pleasant they are going to start doing studies on the area, so they know how cool it is too.

If red_lantern is correct (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=5063912&postcount=38), I'd go back and ask for a Bacon Brothers discount. Who wants to end up as one the Surrey Six! When I was at the presentation centre they did mention someone had a hold on the penthouse level and was looking at combining units.

westcoaster1
Nov 29, 2010, 1:34 AM
I think red_lantern is a pissed off neighbor that lives beside the laneway in the back. the construction noise impairs his sleep patterns. or something. his comments are baseless. without merit.

SpikePhanta
Nov 29, 2010, 1:41 AM

Well its good that London Drugs is starting another big expansion push, they are starting to get flanked by Shoppers !

red_lantern
Nov 29, 2010, 8:31 AM
I think red_lantern is a pissed off neighbor that lives beside the laneway in the back. the construction noise impairs his sleep patterns. or something. his comments are baseless. without merit.

No..no I'm just upset with that old sales agent with big vanes in her neck and that spiel she used on us to sell these units....I was thinking about purchasing a unit but since it's a woodframe of 5 storeys I dont' think I will do that as I was told by her that it was all concrete. Whomever lives in the house behind this complex should be happy as it will block the street noise from Main Street, provide a cosmetic upgrade to that old empty car lot that was there originally and will provide entertainment value by mingling with the new neighbours.

red_lantern
Nov 29, 2010, 8:39 AM
If red_lantern is correct (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=5063912&postcount=38), I'd go back and ask for a Bacon Brothers discount. Who wants to end up as one the Surrey Six! When I was at the presentation centre they did mention someone had a hold on the penthouse level and was looking at combining units.

I didn't say I was 100 percent sure it was the Bacon Brothers, I just overheard. But I'm 100 percent certain that someone purchased half the top floor penthouse and whomever that is and whatever means they used to finance the units (growing of certain plants..etc...) will probably have some nice expensive cars in the parkade below.

Phil McAvity
Nov 29, 2010, 9:25 AM
There's already a huge debate going over how tall this building will end up being. Some say 58 feet tall, others say 59 feet and I even saw one person say it will be 60 feet tall.

When it's finished i'll take my ruler there and measure it myself.

whatnext
Nov 29, 2010, 4:03 PM
I didn't say I was 100 percent sure it was the Bacon Brothers, I just overheard. But I'm 100 percent certain that someone purchased half the top floor penthouse and whomever that is and whatever means they used to finance the units (growing of certain plants..etc...) will probably have some nice expensive cars in the parkade below.

Actually, you did say it, you might want to be more careful spreading innuendo:

Interesting...I was dining at the Moxies on Broadway and there was one of the Bacon Brothers with his crew...he was telling them about a penthouse suite how purchased at 3333 Main....looks like the building will have a notorious new resident living amongst them.

If someone notices a smell from the above units, it's definately not bacon....must be another elicit substance...lol

phesto
Nov 29, 2010, 4:32 PM
Wow, there is so much misinformation in this thread! There is actually a thread for rumours...

It will be Shoppers, not London Drugs.

As far as IGA on 13th, it is owned by IGA (HY Louie). As Jlousa pointed out, it will be redeveloped eventually, but likely won't see anything for a few years.

red_lantern
Nov 29, 2010, 8:22 PM
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

red_lantern
Nov 29, 2010, 8:27 PM
If this is a woodframe then it can't be more than 5 stories.

red_lantern
Nov 29, 2010, 9:00 PM
Well there won't be any Georgie Awards given out here that's for sure!

westcoaster1
Nov 30, 2010, 2:57 AM
Nope, the Bacon brothers stay in Surrey, with all the other gangsters, where they belong.

SpikePhanta
Nov 30, 2010, 3:19 AM
Nope, the Bacon brothers stay in Surrey, with all the other gangsters, where they belong.

*Abbotsford

red_lantern
Nov 30, 2010, 8:25 PM
Wasn't the library up the street from this development supposed to move to the former Olympic Curling site? From the Olympic Legacy reports it was supposed to be a community centre with ammenities and a Library.

eduardo88
Nov 30, 2010, 9:25 PM
What the hell are the bacon brothers??

quobobo
Nov 30, 2010, 9:28 PM
What the hell are the bacon brothers??

Please please please don't feed the troll.

eduardo88
Nov 30, 2010, 9:55 PM
Please please please don't feed the troll.

There are like 20 posts about them, I'm just curious about who they are. How does that make me a troll?

quobobo
Nov 30, 2010, 10:32 PM
There are like 20 posts about them, I'm just curious about who they are. How does that make me a troll?

They're semi-notorious gangsters. I wasn't calling you a troll - just saying that engaging with red_lantern is probably counterproductive.

red_lantern
Nov 30, 2010, 11:07 PM
They're semi-notorious gangsters. I wasn't calling you a troll - just saying that engaging with red_lantern is probably counterproductive.

Hey that's not very nice of you to say that :P

eduardo88
Dec 1, 2010, 7:34 PM

Ah, gotcha.

red_lantern
Dec 2, 2010, 8:12 AM
Interestingly enough there was a fire on West Broadway off Cambie, a few restaurants were destroyed (the famous shin ling noodle house, a viet restaurant and another new japanese restaurant that just opened up..bummer). See just goes to show never have a restaurant in a wood frame condo, lucky this wasn't a condo. A buddy of mine who lives in the crossroads across the street said that the smoke smell came into their hallway and was lingering...double bummer.

Also, I think the building beside the shin lin noodle house is up for some big new development...hmmm coincidence?

http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver/local/article/708066--fire-wreaks-havoc-on-west-broadway

wrenegade
Dec 2, 2010, 5:08 PM
Restaurant or no restaurant, 3333 Main will be concrete perimeter (parkade, ground floor, 2nd floor suspended slab) at the very least. Whether it is concrete or wood above that I'm not sure, I continue to be told both. Look at Rize Alliance's OnQue project, concrete first, then wood. This is standard practice on C-2 zoned sites. 33 & Main is the same thing.

red_lantern
Dec 2, 2010, 8:27 PM
Restaurant or no restaurant, 3333 Main will be concrete perimeter (parkade, ground floor, 2nd floor suspended slab) at the very least. Whether it is concrete or wood above that I'm not sure, I continue to be told both. Look at Rize Alliance's OnQue project, concrete first, then wood. This is standard practice on C-2 zoned sites. 33 & Main is the same thing.

Here's a link to an interesting site which mentions that the BC Building code was relaxed in 2009 to allow up to 6 stores of woodframe construction for condos.

http://www.wood-works.org/BC/Six%20Storey%20Wood%20Frame%20Buildings%20in%20BC/?Language=EN

wrenegade
Dec 2, 2010, 9:53 PM
I am well aware that you can build 6-storey wood frame, just because you can doesn't mean that is what everyone does. Take a look at Rize's OnQue project, or 33 & Main, and soon enough 3333 Main. Concrete parkade, concrete ground floor, and concrete suspended slab for the 2nd level is standard practice nowadays.

edit: In the video on the link you posted a number of the projects that were shown had a concrete perimeter. 100% wood construction is more common on 100% residential buildings without a parkade.

red_lantern
Dec 3, 2010, 10:57 PM
I was looking at the floorplans and a few that are facing the lane have huge balconies and patios, however they are facing west and into the lane. I noticed while walking through the back lane that there are two utility poles with transformer buckets on top that would basically sit next to the development and ultimately a arms lenght from the balconies.

This would obviously affect the re-sale down the road, would this considered a health hazzard as well to live so close to the transformer? Would they even be able to obtain occupancy?

Spork
Dec 4, 2010, 2:53 AM
^^ They would likely put those lines underground, no?

red_lantern
Dec 4, 2010, 6:02 AM
^^ They would likely put those lines underground, no?

I decided to call the one of their sales agents and they said that it would stay the way it is (I guess they mean that it wouldn't go underground). However, I don't think she knows it would be the contractor that would probably have more information.

I haven't seen another development where the utility poles were basically this close to a balcony (enough for someone to reach over and get zapped). Would be wise to put them underground though.

westcoaster1
Dec 5, 2010, 1:38 AM
I decided to call the one of their sales agents and they said that it would stay the way it is (I guess they mean that it wouldn't go underground). However, I don't think she knows it would be the contractor that would probably have more information.

I haven't seen another development where the utility poles were basically this close to a balcony (enough for someone to reach over and get zapped). Would be wise to put them underground though.

are you saying that you suddenly trust a female sales agent? If its who we think it is, she would definitely NOT have a clue about something like that. Never mind all the other bs she fed you because she just didn't know the answer.

red_lantern
Dec 5, 2010, 6:47 PM
are you saying that you suddenly trust a female sales agent? If its who we think it is, she would definitely NOT have a clue about something like that. Never mind all the other bs she fed you because she just didn't know the answer.

I'm wondering though if there are any guidelines that developers need to adhere to in regards to utility poles (ie: how close they can be to a building or window).

wrenegade
Dec 6, 2010, 5:32 PM
Habitable space needs to be at least 30' from power lines. (Possibly 33' - 10m, can't remember).

jlousa
Dec 7, 2010, 3:26 AM
Might want to send the inspectors to Gastown the residences above the Met some of those units are only 5 maybe 6ft from transformers, same with the most of the rest of the area. :tup:
Obviously regulations have changed over the years.

westcoaster1
Dec 12, 2010, 7:58 PM
Might want to send the inspectors to Gastown the residences above the Met some of those units are only 5 maybe 6ft from transformers, same with the most of the rest of the area. :tup:
Obviously regulations have changed over the years.

I looked at the lane way in question and that laneway is likely 20 feet wide and the poles are are the very west side of the laneway. I expect the actual building will be set back at least another 5 feet from the east side. There are some wires strung about 10 feet from the pole (west side of laneway) but that still gives at least 15 feet from a balcony to a wire. That would take some long arms to touch anything.

whatnext
Dec 12, 2010, 8:14 PM
I am surprised this building is going to be wood frame, when Cressey built the Olive close by on a very similar site, in concrete.

wrenegade
Dec 13, 2010, 10:39 PM
I believe Olive was built at a time when wood frame construction was limited to 4 storeys, not 6 like it is now. Plus buyers on Cambie are more likely to pay the premium for concrete than buyers on Main Street.

whatnext
Dec 15, 2010, 1:06 AM
Thought it would be neat to throw in a photo of the original 3333 Main Street-Turner's Dairy.

http://www3.vpl.ca/dbtw-wpd/exec/dbtwpub.dll?AC=GET_RECORD&XC=/dbtw-wpd/exec/dbtwpub.dll&BU=http%3A%2F%2Fwww3.vpl.ca%2Fspe%2Fhistphotos%2F&TN=PHOTOS&SN=AUTO31460&SE=1809&RN=2&MR=5&TR=10000&TX=1000&ES=0&CS=0&XP=&RF=briefweb&EF=&DF=Full+Photo&RL=0&EL=0&DL=0&NP=2&ID=&MF=&MQ=&TI=0&DT=&ST=0&IR=10455&NR=0&NB=0&SV=0&SS=0&BG=&FG=&QS=&OEX=ISO-8859-1&OEH=ISO-8859-1

From cows to hipsters, that's progress! I guess the power poles were relocated to the lane at some point.

westcoaster1
Dec 29, 2010, 8:19 PM
It's coming along nicely, the crews are working 2 shifts a day up to 9:00 pm. They have started framing the second the 2nd floor on the south end of the building, quite a lot of working going on the floor (roof of the parking garage) on the west side. This is the ground floor of town homes. Then rebar, then concrete so still lots to be done there. All of the concrete support pillars are poured. Still lots of walls to be built with rebar and concrete. And the scaffolding which supports the 2'nd floor is about 3/4 of the way complete from south to north end. Once the concrete is done, the rest of the framing will go up very fast.

ArtVandelay100
Jan 14, 2011, 1:46 AM
There are some very large trees on the south east corner of the building and the branches are so long they will touch the balconies. I think that would be a security issue. Not to mention blocking the "view" (on the 2nd floor) on portions of the balconies. The corner unit has a large balcony and is almost blocked entirely by the tree and that's in the winter with no leaves. I can only imagine how much worse it will be in the summer. The 2nd unit is clear but the 3rd unit is also almost entirely blocked by a tree. I think the developer dropped the ball on this one. They should have building back another 20 feet or so. The back of the building is huge with a deck on the 2nd floor. They are owned by the city and cannot be removed but if I was an owner and the tree blocked my balcony I would be pissed off. It's not like I am overlooking a lagoon or anything but in the summer you would not see much of anything. I assume they will have to be trimmed but also can't imagine that the city which has to trim them will do what's required. What does the city care???

Spork
Jan 14, 2011, 4:51 AM
Selling other properties in the area and this unit is biting into your sales? :rolleyes:

westcoaster1
Jan 18, 2011, 10:45 PM
Looks as if all the concrete floor is poured. they have started the elevator shaft, goes up to what seems to be the second floor not sure how they continue the rebar 3 floors up from there. they have started to frame the 4th floor on the south end of the building, they have only got 3 units deep from the south to north. scaffolding for the 2nd floor is almost complete at the north end.

fuschia_yvr
Jan 20, 2011, 7:57 AM
That archive photo is awesome. Thanks for posting it!

Anyone been to the site or contacted the developer re: how sales are going? I was there about a month ago and they had sold nine apartments in less than a week. Wondering what the status might be now?

westcoaster1
Jan 20, 2011, 5:25 PM
I think they're about 50%. prices have gone up again though

Joon
Jan 24, 2011, 11:26 PM
About 50% sold is pretty accurate.

Apparently some of the corner units will have two support pillars going through either side of the kitchen counter due to "structural changes". Does this reduce the value of the unit?

The original floor plan never disclosed the pillars...Would this be considered a "major change"?

fuschia_yvr
Feb 24, 2011, 5:18 AM
Dropped by the sale centre at the start of last week and they were at 60-65% plus a few sales pending (at least that was what I was told!)

Something else I was told that is interesting (if you didn't read the plans) is about the elevation. Because of the slope of land, the apartments on the north end are almost an entire floor higher than those on the south end. In other words, the 2nd floor on the north end has the same vantage point as the 3rd floor on the south end. An interesting fact when it comes to picking a unit...

Didn't hear anything about the pillars but the idea of them is concerning.

wrenegade
Feb 24, 2011, 6:49 PM
About 50% sold is pretty accurate.

Apparently some of the corner units will have two support pillars going through either side of the kitchen counter due to "structural changes". Does this reduce the value of the unit?

The original floor plan never disclosed the pillars...Would this be considered a "major change"?

Why would there be pillars in a wood frame building?

westcoaster1
Feb 24, 2011, 8:51 PM
Dropped by the sale centre at the start of last week and they were at 60-65% plus a few sales pending (at least that was what I was told!)

Something else I was told that is interesting (if you didn't read the plans) is about the elevation. Because of the slope of land, the apartments on the north end are almost an entire floor higher than those on the south end. In other words, the 2nd floor on the north end has the same vantage point as the 3rd floor on the south end. An interesting fact when it comes to picking a unit...

Didn't hear anything about the pillars but the idea of them is concerning.
Not sure how that works exactly, as the the south end is higher than the north end. Its a very long hill that starts at the base of Main St. Based on that I'm not sure how a unit on the (downhill) north end is going to be higher, by an entire floor, than one on the (uphill) south end.

Apart from that the building is going up very fast they are ahead of schedule.